PDA

View Full Version : 2012.....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

daimonos
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Just received the new UFOmammut, Ash Borer, Hooded Menace, and Serpentine Path. :party:

Serpentine Path sounds awesome. I still need to listen to the first UFOmammut that came out this year.

dcmetal108
08-09-2012, 09:12 PM
New Fozzy and The Faceless leaked.

BloodoftheKings
08-09-2012, 09:14 PM
New Fozzy

AOTY!

MPF
08-10-2012, 12:26 AM
I actually really like the new Fozzy. Its pretty damn badass, especially the last track.

hb420
08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Serpentine Path sounds awesome. I still need to listen to the first UFOmammut that came out this year.

Dude your going to flip it actually sounds like how it looks with the lineup on paper. The doomyness of Electric Wizard, the sludge of Unearthly Trance and a huge helping of death metal. :drool: The vocalist released an album with his Black Metal project "The Howling Wind" recently too you should check that out.

My Current Top 15
1. Evoken - Atra Mors
2. Ahab - The Giant
3. Pallbearer - Sorrow And Extinction
4. UFOmammut - ORO: Opus Primum/Alter
5. Royal Thunder - CVI
6. Dawnbringer - Into The Liar of the Sun God
7. Baroness - Yellow & Green
8. Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
9. Samothrace - Reverence In Stone
10. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame
11. Witch Mountain - Cauldron of the Wild
12. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
13. Christian Mistress - Possesion
14. Hooded Menace - Effigies of Evil
15. Aldebaran - Embracing The Lightless Depths

smearCampaign
08-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Dude your going to flip it actually sounds like how it looks with the lineup on paper. The doomyness of Electric Wizard, the sludge of Unearthly Trance and a huge helping of death metal. :drool: The vocalist released an album with Black Metal project recently too you should check that out.

My Current Top 15
1. Evoken - Atra Mors
2. Ahab - The Giant
3. Pallbearer - Sorrow And Extinction
4. UFOmammut - ORO: Opus Primum/Alter
5. Royal Thunder - CVI
6. Dawnbringer - Into The Liar of the Sun God
8. Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
9. Samothrace - Reverence In Stone
10. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame
11. Witch Mountain - Cauldron of the Wild
12. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
13. Christian Mistress - Possesion
14. Hooded Menace - Effigies of Evil
15. Aldebaran - Embracing The Lightless Depths

Your list = :drool::party::drool:

hb420
08-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Your list = :drool::party::drool:

Thanks man! :fist:

Yeah I decided to re-listen to Evoken again and besides narrowly beating Ahab for the top spot it destroys everything else released yet. Best funeral death/doom in a really long time, probably since Asunder's debut maybe.

christopher
08-10-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm digging the new Muse song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKVych80ME&feature=share)

mankvill
08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm digging the new Muse song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKVych80ME&feature=share)

Matt Bellamy went on record saying something like dubstep is the best thing out there right now (and by that he meant brostep like Skrillex, not real dubstep) and that Muse might try to incorporate elements of it into their music. >_<

edit: LOL NOW I AM LISTENING TO THE SONG. GUESS THEY REALLY ARE DOING THE DUBSTEP THING

w00tasaurus
08-11-2012, 04:38 AM
The vocalist released an album with his Black Metal project "The Howling Wind" recently too you should check that out.

That is a very respectable black metal album, didn't know it was the same guy

kalfitegrdan
08-11-2012, 08:01 AM

I think I probably liked that more than anything on the last album.

dcmetal108
08-11-2012, 06:55 PM
I feel like the new Faceless is just a junior BTBAM. Reminds me nothing of the faceless.

Spiner202
08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
The new Bonded By Blood album is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. They definitely did ok without Alex Lee, though I still think it sucks Jose Barrales left. This album would have been a lot better with him singing, but it's still decent.

ShatteredFlame
08-15-2012, 07:29 AM
New Katatonia leaked. Pretty much all I'll be listening for a while.

hb420
08-15-2012, 03:53 PM
New Katatonia leaked. Pretty much all I'll be listening for a while.

Had received this and Krallice on Monday. Both are sooo damn good, been listening non-stop. Krallice has easily made their best album so far. Katatonia have made their best since Viva Emptiness.

MPF
08-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Had received this and Krallice on Monday. Both are sooo damn good, been listening non-stop. Krallice has easily made their best album so far. Katatonia have made their best since Viva Emptiness.

I have the new Katatonia, Cryptopsy and Beardfish today but hot damn I need that Krallice album as well.

One of the best Black Metal bands in well over a decade.

MPF
08-16-2012, 12:20 AM
My Top 20 of 2012 as of 8/16/2012

1.) Ne Obliviscaris- Portal Of I
2.) Alcest- Les Voyages De L'Βme
3.) Woods Of Ypres- Woods V: Grey Skies & Electric Light
4.) Periphery- Periphery II: This Time It's Personal
5.) Ihsahn- Eremita
6.) Anathema- Weather Systems
7.) Torche- Harmonicraft
8.) The Faceless- Autotheism
9.) Brendon Small- Galaktikon
10.) For the Imperium- For the Imperium
11.) The Contortionist- Intrinsic
12.) Baroness- Yellow & Green
13.) Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth
14.) Abigail Williams- Becoming
15.) Eluveitie- Helvetios
16.) Katatonia- Dead End Kings
17.) The 11th Hour- Lacrima Mortis
18.) Cloudkicker- Fade
19.) Dimension Act- Manifestation of Progress
20.) Meshuggah- Koloss

Rocco44
08-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Still way behind on this years music. I've been enjoying Cloudkicker's new one as well as Wino & Conny Ochs debut Heavy Kingdom lately. Looking forward to Katatonia, The Forsaken, The Faceless, Krallice, Evoken, Ihsahn, Ash Borer among so many more.

MPF
08-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Still way behind on this years music. I've been enjoying Cloudkicker's new one as well as Wino & Conny Ochs debut Heavy Kingdom lately. Looking forward to Katatonia, The Forsaken, The Faceless, Krallice, Evoken, Ihsahn, Ash Borer among so many more.

Funny you mention them. I got an email from their label today with their new album. And I never heard of them before. If you dig them, I probably will too.

mastodon421
08-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Current Top 10
1.Death Grips-The Money Store
2.The Faceless-Autotheism
3.Lamb of God-Resolution
4.High on Fire-De Vermis Mysteriis
5.Every Time I Die-Ex Lives
6.Periphery-II
7.Dying Fetus-Reign Supreme
8.God Forbid-Equilibrium
9.Nas-Life Is Good
10.Gojira-L'Enfant Sauvage

Just outside: Killer Mike-R.A.P. Music, Job For A Cowboy-Demonocracy, Veil of Maya-Eclipse, The Contortionist-Intrinsic, Overkill-The Electric Age

Still need to hear:
Gaza-No Absolute in Human Suffering
Testament-Dark Roots of Earth
Nachtmystium-Silencing Machine
Napalm Death-Utilitarian

jhdeity
08-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Current Top 10
1.Death Grips-The Money Store
2.The Faceless-Autotheism
3.Lamb of God-Resolution
4.High on Fire-De Vermis Mysteriis
5.Every Time I Die-Ex Lives
6.Periphery-II
7.Dying Fetus-Reign Supreme
8.God Forbid-Equilibrium
9.Nas-Life Is Good
10.Gojira-L'Enfant Sauvage

Just outside: Killer Mike-R.A.P. Music, Job For A Cowboy-Demonocracy, Veil of Maya-Eclipse, The Contortionist-Intrinsic, Overkill-The Electric Age

Still need to hear:
Gaza-No Absolute in Human Suffering
Testament-Dark Roots of Earth
Nachtmystium-Silencing Machine
Napalm Death-Utilitarian

I always like and/or agree with your lists...

jd091
08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
For anyone not up to date with the current hardcore releases, I'd recommend giving the new Xibalba album, Hasta La Muerte, a chance. It has potential to get some metal cred. It's definitely hardcore, and heavy, downtuned, beatdown hardcore at that, but heavy in the sense of Morbid Angel, or Suffocation versus Hatebreed or Madball. The "breakdowns" are really just slow, doomy death metal riffs, and the vocals are more death-y, even going into super low growls at times. They incorporate Sepultura-esque tribal drums an rhythms at times.

I guess I'm trying to say that for a death metal or doom fan, this album is way more accessible and fresh than their 2010 debut. Definitely one of the most diverse hardcore releases of this year. Give it a shot! I recommend the songs "Floods", "No Serenity", and "Hasta La Muerte".

dcmetal108
08-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Had the new Xibalba for a while now and I agree that it is fucking awesome.

kalfitegrdan
08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
I really need to listen to the new Xibalba...

brutal_descent
08-16-2012, 08:26 PM
I really need to listen to the new Xibalba...

Just finished listening to it. Excellent album :D

illuminatus917
08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Reeeeaally digging the new Borgne album.

Rocco44
08-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Funny you mention them. I got an email from their label today with their new album. And I never heard of them before. If you dig them, I probably will too.

I've only heard one song but it seems like something I would like as I'm a fan of melodic atmospheric black metal of that style. Josh (hb420) really likes it and he has impeccable taste so I know it won't suck.

MPF
08-16-2012, 10:02 PM
I've only heard one song but it seems like something I would like as I'm a fan of melodic atmospheric black metal of that style. Josh (hb420) really likes it and he has impeccable taste so I know it won't suck.

I didn't realize his name was Josh too. haha

I checked it out today, its pretty damn badass so far. I'm a big Atmospheric Black Metal fan myself *Thank you Alcest* and it hasn't shown signs of dying off yet. I love it.

hb420
08-16-2012, 10:21 PM

This guy knows whats up lol :allan:
Seriously thanks though! :fist: My copy came in today so I've been blasting it.

I'm currently obsessing over "Years Past Matter" it's "Diotima" on steroids. :drool:

brutal_descent
08-17-2012, 03:23 AM
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/death_from_above/2012/

Checked out Gaza, Grave, Dying Fetus, Cloudkicker, Evoken, Xibalba and Agalloch today. DF was very disappointing but Gaza hit #1 on my list.

GarageMetal468
08-17-2012, 07:50 AM
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/death_from_above/2012/

. DF was very disappointing
You're fucking shitting me.

Natrlhi
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
You're fucking shitting me.He is shitting you. It's just like their other stuff, more or less. If you like DF, there's no reason you won't like their new one.

BloodoftheKings
08-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Here's my rym list. http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view?list_id=331032&show=25&start=0

slapguitarer
08-17-2012, 10:32 AM
My Top 25 as of August 17th, 2012

1. Alcest – Les Voyages De L’Ame
2. High on Fire – De Vermis Mysteriis
3. Royal Thunder – CVI
4. Young Hunter – Stone Tools
5. Rush – Clockwork Angels
6. Death Grips – The Money Store
7. Agalloch – Faustian Echoes
8. Ahab – The Giant
9. Old Man Gloom - No
10. Worm Ouroboros – Come the Thaw
11. Torche – Harmonicraft
12. BADBADNOTGOOD – BBNG2
13. Ne Obliviscaris – Portal of I*
14. Every Time I Die – Ex-Lives
15. Les Discrests – Ariettes Oubliees*
16. Anhedonist – Netherwards
17. Pallbearer – Sorrow and Extinction
18. Horn of the Rhino – Grengus
19. Meshuggah – Koloss
20. Om – Advaitic Songs
21. Testament – Dark Roots of Earth
22. Baroness – Yellow and Green
23. Orange Goblin – A Eulogy For The Damned*
24. Christian Mistress – Possession*
25. Wild Hunt – Before the Plane of Angles

XDoomsayerX
08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm liking the new Faceless. :rocker:

Also new VoM is alright. The Common Man's Collapse>[id]>Eclipse

brutal_descent
08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Reign Supreme felt to me like another band copying Dying Fetus; I mean this in the sense that though it was obviously Dying Fetus it seemed like either another band replicating their sound or DF getting lazy. All of the lead parts and sweeps felt like wankery this time around, and overall it felt to me like just another tech-death record. I wouldn't have been able to recognize it as a DF album had I listened to it blind-folded, something that hasn't happened with any of their other releases.

I'm not coherent when I explain my opinions on albums, which is why I never write reviews.

hb420
08-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Here's how my list should stay til October when pig destroyer, Yakuza, and neurosis comes out.

1. Evoken - Atra Mora
2. Ahab - The Giant
3. Enslaved - RIITIIR
4. Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction
5. UFOmammut - Oro
6. Krallice - Years Past Matter
8. Dawnbringer - Into The Lair of the Sun God
9. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Ame
10. Royal Thunder - CVI
11. Samothrace - Reverence To Stone
12. Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
13. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
14. Indesinence - Vessels of Light & Decay
15. Hooded Menace - Effigies of Evil
16. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
17. Anhedonist - Netherwards
18. Witch Mountain - Cauldron of the Wild
19. Christian Mistress - Possession
20. High On Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
21. Saint Vitus - Lillie F65
22. Murder Construct - Results
23. Aldebaran - Embracing The Lightness Depths
24. Serpentine Path - Serpentine Path
25. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth

treghet
08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
You have Murder Construct on there but not Cattle Decapitation? :confused:

hb420
08-17-2012, 04:53 PM
You have Murder Construct on there but not Cattle Decapitation? :confused:

Didn't really like the new one or the last couple for that matter. :eyes:

Humanure and everything before though. :drool:

mastodon421
08-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Yeah can't say I agree at all with your views on Reign Supreme Lincoln. I thought it was much better than the new Cannibal Corpse and Aborted as well as a lot of the other non-death metal releases you rated ranked higher on your list. I honestly thinks it gives Destroy the Opposition a run for it's money for their best record. For now Reign Supreme is a top 10 album for the year and I can see it staying that way or finishing just outside the top 10 come year's end.

Somewhat unrelated note: You placing Gaza at number 1 on your list makes me 10x eager to listen to it, I really need to do that by the end of the weekend. I've had it in my Itunes for a week now.

ShatteredFlame
08-18-2012, 08:49 AM
the 2nd Ufomammut leaked :party:

kalfitegrdan
08-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah can't say I agree at all with your views on Reign Supreme Lincoln. I thought it was much better than the new Cannibal Corpse and Aborted as well as a lot of the other non-death metal releases you rated ranked higher on your list. I honestly thinks it gives Destroy the Opposition a run for it's money for their best record. For now Reign Supreme is a top 10 album for the year and I can see it staying that way or finishing just outside the top 10 come year's end.

I personally thought that Aborted and Cannibal Corpse were better. Reign Supreme was still awesome though. From Womb to Waste is just :drool:. I just think that Descend Into Depravity was better, so that's really keeping me from rating it higher.

NecroRob
08-19-2012, 02:43 AM
Reign Supreme felt to me like another band copying Dying Fetus; I mean this in the sense that though it was obviously Dying Fetus it seemed like either another band replicating their sound or DF getting lazy. All of the lead parts and sweeps felt like wankery this time around, and overall it felt to me like just another tech-death record. I wouldn't have been able to recognize it as a DF album had I listened to it blind-folded, something that hasn't happened with any of their other releases.

wtf

Didn't really like the new one or the last couple for that matter. :eyes:

Humanure and everything before though. :drool:

WTF

GarageMetal468
08-19-2012, 08:07 AM
wtf

WTF

Indeed, you people are on crack.

But really, I'm finally listening to that Ne Obliviscaris album and I'm liking it a lot! Very interesting stuff but definitely very good.

slapguitarer
08-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Bt guise all Dieing Feetus sux

Spiner202
08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I got a whole bunch of promos today, including Striker, Ex Deo, and Grave Digger. I haven't heard Grave Digger yet, but the other two were pretty good. Neither of them will probably make my top 10, but they are definitely well worth hearing. :blaze:

kalfitegrdan
08-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Holy fuck...new Xibalba...holy fuck. :bricks:

hb420
08-21-2012, 10:15 PM
1. Evoken - Atra Mora
2. Ahab - The Giant
3. Enslaved - RIITIIR
4. Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction
5. UFOmammut - Oro

These albums are so fucking great, still so hard to order them. :drool::drool::drool:
Still absorbing Enslaved, might jumo iup one.

hellawaits77ny
08-22-2012, 07:40 PM
I fuckin love the new DF

XDoomsayerX
08-22-2012, 08:22 PM
New Goatwhore tears shit up! :rocker: :shred:

illuminatus917
08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Goatwhore is one of those bands I should like but don't.

These albums are so fucking great, still so hard to order them. :drool::drool::drool:
Still absorbing Enslaved, might jumo iup one.

That good huh.

I seriously doubt it will make it that high on my list. How would you compare it to Axioma?

w00tasaurus
08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Ensiferum's last album is actually one of my favorites of theirs. Upon first listen, I'm somewhat disappointed by Unsung Heroes. It has some cool moments, but I almost get the feeling they are bored with their band :-p I still like it a good amount and it might grow on me. Passion Proof Power and the bonus track may be enough to make up for a couple more boring tracks.

brutal_descent
08-24-2012, 08:18 AM
Still need to check out the Baroness, Korpiklaani, OFF, Ensiferum, Nachtmystium, Melvins (though I've already heard all of it live), and Job for a Cowboy. Also need to relisten to Serpent Sermon and Monolith of Inhumanity since I haven't properly ranked them on my list.

kalfitegrdan
08-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Still need to check out the Baroness, Korpiklaani, OFF, Ensiferum, Nachtmystium, Melvins (though I've already heard all of it live), and Job for a Cowboy. Also need to relisten to Serpent Sermon and Monolith of Inhumanity since I haven't properly ranked them on my list.

Both great albums. The Cattle Decapitation one keeps bouncing around my top 5. I also need to listen to all those you listed, except for JFAC.

daimonos
08-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Finally listened to Yellow & Green the other day. Not much of a fan...

slapguitarer
08-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Krallice's new one, Years Past Matter is really good.

christopher
08-25-2012, 07:30 AM
New Morning Glory album is streaming here. (http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/album_premiere_morning_glory_poets_were_my_heroes)

dcmetal108
08-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Epicould leaked but its all one track with devin doing commentary over the music.

BloodoftheKings
08-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Epicould leaked but its all one track with devin doing commentary over the music.

I'm not tempted to download that in the slightest.

dcmetal108
08-25-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm not tempted to download that in the slightest.

Neither Am I. haha

MPF
08-25-2012, 02:25 PM
I was given that promo and it is hilarious. Its Dev being Dev.

"I'm drinking Beck's Non-Alcoholic Beer. For when you wanna party....when you are afraid to party!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hb420
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Goatwhore is one of those bands I should like but don't.

That good huh.

I seriously doubt it will make it that high on my list. How would you compare it to Axioma?

Yeah it's really great, but after some intense observations no where near as good as Axioma or Ahab's The Giant. It's a transistion record for Enslaved, where they let their progressive and avant-garde sides run more freely. Hopefully it works out better and gets trimmed a bit on the follow up.

illuminatus917
08-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Leeches of Lore's new album is great.

hb420
08-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Leeches of Lore's new album is great.

Great studio band from my town. :party: Although they're horrible live.

illuminatus917
08-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Great studio band from my town. :party: Although they're horrible live.

Oh yeah? Have you listened to Frenzy, Ecstasy? Goddamn it's good.

illuminatus917
08-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Blood Geometry by Elysian Blaze is getting a ton of hype. Am I just not getting it?

XDoomsayerX
08-28-2012, 09:53 PM
This aint right. New Circa Survive and The Chariot released and I have none of em :( On a brighter note I dig the new Coheed and Cambria song.

Natrlhi
08-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Finally listened to Yellow & Green the other day. Not much of a fan...I don't think many people are, at first. It's a big change for even the most dedicated Baroness fans. Repeated listens are recommended, and although you may or may not change your mind in the end, it's worth a try in my humble opinion.

daimonos
08-29-2012, 09:32 AM
I don't think many people are, at first. It's a big change for even the most dedicated Baroness fans. Repeated listens are recommended, and although you may or may not change your mind in the end, it's worth a try in my humble opinion.

I might do that, only because you told me to. I was listening to some of the Blue Record the other day and I really do like that one. I'll have to download Yellow and Green again and give it another try at some point.

John The Drummer
08-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Got the new Katatonia last night. Just sounds like another Katatonia album, but still good! The last track is awesome.

makethemsuffer12
08-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I find that don't listen to nearly as much new music as most people on here haha, but I guess if I had to rank the albums I've actually purchased this year:

1. Periphery - Periphery II: This Time It's Personal
2. The Faceless - Autotheism
3. Meshuggah - Koloss
4. Lamb of God - Resolution
5. Whitechapel - Whitechapel
6. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
7. Six Feet Under - Undead
8. Cannibal Corpse - Torture

Don't think I'm missing any...

I've also listened to some of the new Dying Fetus, Kreator, Accept, Overkill and Emmure (I know...) albums on Spotify, but not enough to rank them.

EDIT: Forgot Whitechapel.

BloodoftheKings
08-29-2012, 06:55 PM
I find that don't listen to nearly as much new music as most people on here haha, but I guess if I had to rank the albums I've actually purchased this year:

1. Periphery - Periphery II: This Time It's Personal
2. The Faceless - Autotheism
3. Meshuggah - Koloss
4. Lamb of God - Resolution
5. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth
6. Six Feet Under - Undead
7. Cannibal Corpse - Torture

Don't think I'm missing any...

I've also listened to some of the new Dying Fetus, Kreator, Accept, Overkill and Emmure (I know...) albums on Spotify, but not enough to rank them.

>not listening to 50 new releases a month
>2012

makethemsuffer12
08-29-2012, 07:15 PM
>not listening to 50 new releases a month
>2012

:confused:

DethMaiden
08-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Well as long as I'm kicking around these parts for a day...

1. The Men - Open Your Heart
2. Baroness - Yellow & Green
3. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
4. Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
5. Dawnbringer - Into the Lair of the Sun God
6. Aesop Rock - Skelethon
7. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
8. Frank Ocean - Channel ORANGE
9. Damien Jurado - Maraqopa
10. Liberteer - Better to Die on Your Feet Than Live on Your Knees

Only stuff I haven't heard that I feel like has a shot is new Pig Destroyer, new Titus Andronicus, and maybe new Witchcraft.

BloodoftheKings
08-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Well as long as I'm kicking around these parts for a day...

1. The Men - Open Your Heart
2. Baroness - Yellow & Green
3. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
4. Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
5. Dawnbringer - Into the Lair of the Sun God
6. Aesop Rock - Skelethon
7. Japandroids - Celebration Rock
8. Frank Ocean - Channel ORANGE
9. Damien Jurado - Maraqopa
10. Liberteer - Better to Die on Your Feet Than Live on Your Knees

Only stuff I haven't heard that I feel like has a shot is new Pig Destroyer, new Titus Andronicus, and maybe new Witchcraft.

Good list. I still need to check out that Dawnbringer album.

slapguitarer
08-30-2012, 06:20 PM
I've finally gotten to the point in year where I legit like all the albums in my Top 25. And since I'm mentioning it, I may as well post it.

1. Alcest – Les Voyages De L’Ame
2. High on Fire – De Vermis Mysteriis
3. Royal Thunder – CVI
4. Young Hunter – Stone Tools
5. Rush – Clockwork Angels
6. Death Grips – The Money Store
7. Agalloch – Faustian Echoes
8. Ahab – The Giant
9. Old Man Gloom - No
10. Torche – Harmonicraft
11. BADBADNOTGOOD – BBNG2
12. Ne Obliviscaris – Portal of I
13. Worm Ouroboros – Come the Thaw
14. Every Time I Die – Ex-Lives
15. Krallice – Years Past Matter
16. Les Discrests – Ariettes Oubliees*
17. Anhedonist – Netherwards
18. Pallbearer – Sorrow and Extinction
19. Horn of the Rhino – Grengus
20. Meshuggah – Koloss
21. Ash Borer – Cold of Ages
22. Om – Advaitic Songs
23. Testament – Dark Roots of Earth
24. Baroness – Yellow and Green
25. Christian Mistress – Possession

I'd say albums 15-25 could probably be jumbled around a bit, but everything else is pretty solid in place.

BloodoftheKings
08-30-2012, 06:34 PM
I guess i'll post my top 25 too. I wouldn't be too satisfied with this as a final top 25 because the bottom albums are only in 7/10 territory. While it's mostly 8/10 albums, anything past 6 can be switched around.

1. Death Grips - The Money Store
2. Woods of Ypres - Grey Skies and Electric Light
3. Classics of Love - s/t
4. Torche - Harmonicraft
5. High on Fire - De Vermis Mysrteriis
6. Baroness - Yellow & Green
7. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal Of I
8. Cannibal Corpse - Torture
9. JJ DOOM - Key to the Kuffs
10. Aesop Rock - Skelethon
11. BADBADNOTGOOD - BBNG2
12. Testament - The Dark Roots of Earth
13. The Faceless - Autothesim
14. Nachtmystium - Silencing Machine
15. Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
16. OFF! - s/t
17. Overkill - The Electric Age
18. Sigh- In Somniphobia
19. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music
20. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
21. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life
22. Accept - Stalingrad
23. Goatwhore - Blood For the Master
24. Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
25. Brendon Small - Galaktikon

jd091
08-31-2012, 08:26 AM
Hey, crossover fans, check out the new Evil Ways record (formerly the band Gutters). It's pretty solid, in the same vein as Power Trip or Backtrack. Heavy, heavy Slayer influences. I think some of you will dig it.

http://evilwayslahc.bandcamp.com/

DethMaiden
08-31-2012, 08:36 AM
3. Classics of Love - s/t

Hadn't heard this til now, but I'm into it. This is what OFF! wants to be.

treghet
08-31-2012, 08:45 AM

What? No. :lol:

DethMaiden
08-31-2012, 08:48 AM
What? No. :lol:

Old punk who used to be young punk tries to recapture what they used to be the best at. Not talking in purely sonic terms here.

treghet
08-31-2012, 08:52 AM
Old punk who used to be young punk tries to recapture what they used to be the best at. Not talking in purely sonic terms here.

Oh, I get what you mean then. I think OFF! does a pretty good job of that though.

DethMaiden
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Oh, I get what you mean then. I think OFF! does a pretty good job of that though.

I think the sheer amount of anger in OFF! is a little bit sad at their age. Like, not defending the new PiL at all, but imagine if John Lydon just made "Never Mind the Bollocks II" in 2012. It would be pathetic.

treghet
08-31-2012, 09:16 AM
I think the sheer amount of anger in OFF! is a little bit sad at their age. Like, not defending the new PiL at all, but imagine if John Lydon just made "Never Mind the Bollocks II" in 2012. It would be pathetic.

I get what you're saying to an extent, but at the same time, age shouldn't determine what kind of music you can play. I think it's awesome what OFF! is doing. They've brought back a style seldom seen in the current scene and managed to become pretty popular (in terms of hardcore). I don't see them as just some old guys going through the motions. They actually wrote good music and managed to stay relevant. That's something that not many musicians are able to do at that point in their career.

DethMaiden
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Nah, they're not going through the motions at all, but their genuine, honest viewpoint doesn't resonate with me. :lol:

treghet
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I think you're thinking about it way too much. Just enjoy the music. ;)

DethMaiden
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
ALSO ALL THE SONGS SOUND THE SAME OK THERE I SAID IT

BloodoftheKings
08-31-2012, 09:27 AM

As much as I love OFF! I definitely agree. As far as old school punk revival bands goes OFF! seems to be getting all the attention but the Classics of Love self titled is better than both OFF! records IMO. OFF!'s lyrics are often hard to take seriously knowing Keith is over 50 years old. Jesse Michaels in Classics sings about the same kind of stuff he did in Op Ivy but it doesn't come off as immature.

kalfitegrdan
08-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Hey, crossover fans, check out the new Evil Ways record (formerly the band Gutters). It's pretty solid, in the same vein as Power Trip or Backtrack. Heavy, heavy Slayer influences. I think some of you will dig it.

This is some good shit!

Also, I'm really intrigued about that Classics of Love album now.

BloodoftheKings
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
I've been trying to get people to listen to Classics of Love for months and once I finally give up pimping that band this board has a 2 page discussion centered around it. It's Exmilitary all over again.

illuminatus917
08-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Johnny Rotten!

http://vimeo.com/15486953

Dextrimental
08-31-2012, 04:50 PM

This is solid, really enjoying it!

I tried, I really did, but I don't think I dig Autotheism, or The Faceless very much. New Baroness is awesome though!

Nater
08-31-2012, 06:05 PM
My top 10 right now

1. Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth
3. Abominable Putridity - The Anomalies of Artificial Origin
2. Overkill - The Electric Age
4. Fear Factory - The Industrialist
5. Nile - At The Gates of Sethu
6. Amon - Liar in Wait
7. Goatwhore - Blood For the Master
8. Aborted - Global Flatline
9. God Forbid - Equilibrium
10. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Humanity

I just got the new Murder Construct album in the mail today too and I'm really excited to see how that turned out but based on the one song I heard I think I will love it.

kalfitegrdan
08-31-2012, 06:28 PM
My top 10 right now

1. Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth
3. Abominable Putridity - The Anomalies of Artificial Origin
2. Overkill - The Electric Age
4. Fear Factory - The Industrialist
5. Nile - At The Gates of Sethu
6. Amon - Liar in Wait
7. Goatwhore - Blood For the Master
8. Aborted - Global Flatline
9. God Forbid - Equilibrium
10. Cattle Decapitation - Monolith of Humanity

Three of those are in my top 10 too. :party:

Also, that's awesome that you have Abominable Putridity on there. I need to listen to that album a few more times. Very solid shit though.

Nater
08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Three of those are in my top 10 too. :party:

Also, that's awesome that you have Abominable Putridity on there. I need to listen to that album a few more times. Very solid shit though.

Man I don't know how I ended up finding it but I heard it and fell in love with it. It's just heavy as hell with some great slam riffs but it has this crazy technical side which you wouldn't quite expect.

The Murder Construct album is crazy. It sounds how you would expect it to....Like Cattle Decapitation and Exhumed raped each other and this was born only to get thrown in a dumpster on prom night that was filled with toxic waste and it became a superbeast of a band. It's chaotic and brutal and fast as hell. Short too...I don't think it even reaches 30 minutes

Dextrimental
09-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Finally got my copy of Periphery II. It's a grower, but firm contender for my album of the year!

dcmetal108
09-04-2012, 03:35 PM
New The Chariot is really good but the same stuff as always. Still a solid album.

daimonos
09-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Finally got around to picking up the new Burzum. Weird shit, but decent.

illuminatus917
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Finally got around to picking up the new Burzum. Weird shit, but decent.

Preparing myself for disappointment.

Dextrimental
09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
My top 5 as of right now:

Periphery - Periphery II: This Time It's Personal
Absent Hearts - August Earth
Skyharbor - Blinding White Noise: Illusion & Chaos
Cannibal Corpse - Torture
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

In no particular order. New Napalm Death, Baroness, Aesop Rock and Exotic Animal Petting Zoo are likely to feature in my top 10. Everything else is ranging from good to meh, but those are my top picks thus far.

New Glen Hansard, Don Baker, Animal Collective and Serpentine Path on the horizon for the coming weekend.

illuminatus917
09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't think many people are, at first. It's a big change for even the most dedicated Baroness fans. Repeated listens are recommended, and although you may or may not change your mind in the end, it's worth a try in my humble opinion.

This cannot be stressed enough. I went from not caring one iota about this album to now thinking it's one of the best of the year. No joke. There have been a lot of "don't count it out just yet" albums this year, at least to me, and this is one of them. The albums that take time to sink in often turn out to be the best ones.

treghet
09-05-2012, 11:02 PM
New ACxDC song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmz9f-hetg

GarageMetal468
09-06-2012, 07:23 AM
New ACxDC song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvmz9f-hetg

Now that was good.

I hear the new Grave Digger is awesome so I'll definitely be checking that out this weekend.

mastodon421
09-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Epicloud has officially leaked.

BloodoftheKings
09-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Epicloud is great. Not quite AOTY but I can't say i'm disappointed. My only gripe with it is that Anneke is a little under used. I thought she was gonna do as much vocals as she did on Addicted but her role was much smaller on this one.

Spiner202
09-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Has anyone heard Mark Shelton's new project, Hellwell? I just finished my first listen and I'm a little disappointed. I know it'll be a grower, but it just seems like there isn't too much happening throughout the whole album. The only thing I can remember from this album is the ending of the last song, which is Shelton soloing a ton (something he seems to do at the end of a lot of his albums, which is awesome).

Dextrimental
09-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Has anyone heard Mark Shelton's new project, Hellwell? I just finished my first listen and I'm a little disappointed. I know it'll be a grower, but it just seems like there isn't too much happening throughout the whole album. The only thing I can remember from this album is the ending of the last song, which is Shelton soloing a ton (something he seems to do at the end of a lot of his albums, which is awesome).

No but I will be, completely unaware of this one! Thanks for the heads up!

OraclesofAgony
09-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Finally listened to the new Katatonia. So far I don't like it nearly as much as Night Is the New Day but that might change after more listens. But "The Parting" is probably the best song I've heard so far this year.

Dextrimental
09-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Dodecahedron's self titled debut, anyone else heard this? Seriously demented awesome stuff! They call themselves black metal, but it's a lot more than just that!

Here's their bandcamp anyway:

http://dodecahedronbm.bandcamp.com/

illuminatus917
09-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Dodecahedron's self titled debut, anyone else heard this? Seriously demented awesome stuff! They call themselves black metal, but it's a lot more than just that!

They obviously worship Deathspell Omega.

hb420
09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
New Weapon and Fight Amp are fantastic. :drool:

daimonos
09-09-2012, 01:31 PM
New Weapon and Fight Amp are fantastic. :drool:

I had a feeling Weapon would be a good one. I really like their last one.

XDoomsayerX
09-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Dig the new Cattle Decap and Xibalba(so heaaavy) from what I've heard but definitely need to re-listen to them.

Also I like the new Circa Survive but right now I like their first three albums a lot more. This one seems a lot more melodic, maybe it's a grower.

treghet
09-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Dig the new Cattle Decap and Xibalba(so heaaavy) from what I've heard but definitely need to re-listen to them.

:fist: I suspect you will be attending both shows then.

Nater
09-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Grabbed the new Grave album today. Gonna jam it later this week and see how it is.

LogicBomb
09-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Yeah, I've been rocking this January, amazing album. Probably gonna end up in top ten. I'm kinda pulling for them to end up on MDF, but I doubt it. Everyone compares them to Deathspell, I don't really hear it. Just because they're black metal and technical? They're a lot more proggy (and a lot less labyrinthine) than Deathspell is, or ever was.

christopher
09-10-2012, 06:14 PM
:fist: I suspect you will be attending both shows then.

I'll be at the first show for sure. We'll see about the second show as the week goes on.

Also, just found out a new Witchcraft album is coming out in two weeks! Can't wait to check it out!

illuminatus917
09-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Everyone compares them to Deathspell, I don't really hear it. Just because they're black metal and technical? They're a lot more proggy (and a lot less labyrinthine) than Deathspell is, or ever was.

Maybe a tad more. Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum were progressive black/death metal albums.

They still draw heavily from them.

treghet
09-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Autopsy on FB:

"We thank everyone for all the support and friendship, it has been an amazing year for us. We have been to great cities and had incredible times with everyone! Next year we hope to get to some more places where we have not yet been.
Now we will concentrate on the new album we are working on and no more shows in 2012. The next record we promise to be the most brutal yet. We will empty our sick minds once again to produce more filthy, brutal death metal. An official statement will come at some point but for now...stay sick"

GarageMetal468
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Autopsy on FB:

"We thank everyone for all the support and friendship, it has been an amazing year for us. We have been to great cities and had incredible times with everyone! Next year we hope to get to some more places where we have not yet been.
Now we will concentrate on the new album we are working on and no more shows in 2012. The next record we promise to be the most brutal yet. We will empty our sick minds once again to produce more filthy, brutal death metal. An official statement will come at some point but for now...stay sick"

Shit, this and new Immolation makes for a chaotic end of year/beginning of 2013.

Nater
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Immolation has a new one comig out next year?!

Also doesn't Suffocation have an album coming out this year or next?

electrocute1031
09-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Listening to Epicloud, with the audio commentary. So far it's awesome, as expected. But then again I think everything Devin does is awesome.

LogicBomb
09-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Maybe a tad more. Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice and Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum were progressive black/death metal albums.

They still draw heavily from them.

Si Monumentum is 100% black metal, no prog, no death. It has the typical orthodox/religious sound like Funeral Mist, Glorior Belli, Ondskapt.. As for Fas, sure it's technical, but it's closer to a black metal take on free jazz than Dodecahedron, which is basically Cynic trying their hand at covering later Emperor. It's just a lot less riff salad-y, to me.

Well, regardless, we're just splitting hairs at this point.

illuminatus917
09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Si Monumentum is 100% black metal, no prog, no death. It has the typical orthodox/religious sound like Funeral Mist, Glorior Belli, Ondskapt.. As for Fas, sure it's technical, but it's closer to a black metal take on free jazz than Dodecahedron, which is basically Cynic trying their hand at covering later Emperor. It's just a lot less riff salad-y, to me.

Good lord. Dodecahedron draws from Deathspell. It's not even debatable, I bet the band members themselves would tell you that. When you listen to the Dodecahedron album you hear Deathspell, not Cynic or Emperor. The comparisons aren't in a vacuum... it hit me like a wall when I listened to it.

Nater
09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Half way through Grave and I'm really digging it.

LogicBomb
09-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Good lord. Dodecahedron draws from Deathspell. It's not even debatable, I bet the band members themselves would tell you that. When you listen to the Dodecahedron album you hear Deathspell, not Cynic or Emperor. The comparisons aren't in a vacuum... it hit me like a wall when I listened to it.

Relax man. I'm not denying there's some Deathspell influence, I just think its an overstated, lazy comparison that sells them short. The main guitarist, who wrote all of the music, is also in Exivious, who are basically a heaiver, instrumental Cynic. It's not that farfetched. Anyway, I already said agree to disagree.

And to keep from derailing this thread any further.. new Krallice and Gaza are both slightly flawed gems. The new Murder Construct I haven't listened to yet, but should be good. And the new Cryptopsy should be.. interesting. Anyone heard it yet?

300%_Density
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
New Down streaming here http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179423

dcmetal108
09-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Received the new AILD this morning. Won't listen to it till tomorrow night more than likely.

Alduin
09-16-2012, 09:20 AM
I've only half heartedly listened to the new cryptopsy, but it basically, sounds like a follow up to and then theyll beg, ive gotta sit down and give it another listen

Addicted2metal
09-18-2012, 12:03 PM
New As I lay dying album is fucking awesome:rocker:

smearCampaign
09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I just got around to checking out Pseudogod's Deathwomb Catechesis. :rocker:
It's not revolutionary, but it's brutal as hell with some great riffs. Take a listen if you like black/death in the vein of Revenge, Archgoat, etc. Stream it here (http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/deathwomb-catechesis)

christopher
09-18-2012, 06:54 PM
I just got around to checking out Pseudogod's Deathwomb Catechesis. :rocker:
It's not revolutionary, but it's brutal as hell with some great riffs. Take a listen if you like black/death in the vein of Revenge, Archgoat, etc. Stream it here (http://hellsheadbangers.bandcamp.com/album/deathwomb-catechesis)

Awesome! I've never heard this band before but loving the music!

christopher
09-18-2012, 11:46 PM
I am almost through The Killers' new album and I'm not digging it at all...:(

Dextrimental
09-19-2012, 09:29 AM

Not surprised, they've been going downhill since Hot Fuss in my opinion. I'll still give it a listen but my hopes aren't high.

dcmetal108
09-19-2012, 09:46 AM

I didn't know they had a new one. I'll have to check that out as well as the new Papa Roach, Green Day, and No Doubt since they all leaked.

christopher
09-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Not surprised, they've been going downhill since Hot Fuss in my opinion. I'll still give it a listen but my hopes aren't high.

I agree that they've been going downhill as well, but Brandon Flowers' solo album was just so amazing that I thought he might have gotten something good together for the new Killers' album, but nope, it was terrible.

XDoomsayerX
09-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I didn't know they had a new one. I'll have to check that out as well as the new Papa Roach, Green Day, and No Doubt since they all leaked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7VhkNqjnc

Why? this is bad,like really bad.

And Papa Roach :barf:

dcmetal108
09-19-2012, 08:50 PM

And Papa Roach :barf:

Papa Roach is awesome.

But shit I clicked that link then switched tabs and honestly thought that was like a Maroon 5 song or something :(

kalfitegrdan
09-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Papa Roach is awesome.

But shit I clicked that link then switched tabs and honestly thought that was like a Maroon 5 song or something :(

Papa Roach hasn't released a bearable album in eight years.

treghet
09-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Papa Roach hasn't released a bearable album.

BloodoftheKings
09-20-2012, 04:31 AM
Papa Roach hasn't released a bearable album in eight years.

Papa Roach is awesome.

http://www.horrorphile.net/images/no-country-for-old-men-tommy-lee-jones1.jpg

BloodoftheKings
09-20-2012, 07:22 AM
New BTBAM leaked.

DethMaiden
09-20-2012, 07:51 AM
New BTBAM leaked.

For real? Watermarked promos just went out two days ago. Fucking people.

Anyway, the album is pretty bad. Way too much "we've hung out with Devin Townsend and Dream Theater" bullshit. If Colors was dizzying technical hardcore punctuated with moments of sheer emotional power and the occasional foray into "circus music," the new one is basically just circus music as played by Between the Buried and Me. Massively disappointing, but they'll never be the band they were on Alaska and Colors again.

BloodoftheKings
09-20-2012, 07:57 AM
For real? Watermarked promos just went out two days ago. Fucking people.

Anyway, the album is pretty bad. Way too much "we've hung out with Devin Townsend and Dream Theater" bullshit. If Colors was dizzying technical hardcore punctuated with moments of sheer emotional power and the occasional foray into "circus music," the new one is basically just circus music as played by Between the Buried and Me. Massively disappointing, but they'll never be the band they were on Alaska and Colors again.

I'm 3 songs in right now. It's not just circus music but there's definitely more than usual.

brutal_descent
09-20-2012, 08:02 AM
I don't know, I'm digging this! Yes, it's not the BTBAM we used to know, but I really like what I've heard from Future Sequence so far.

ShatteredFlame
09-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Just went to download it via a rapidgator link and coincidentally for the security code I got one of those drop down questions "the opposite of heavy is?" and all the answers had to do with mass and space :eek:

illuminatus917
09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
When I think of circus music I think of The Doors, not BTBAM. :lol:

MPF
09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
>Complaining about BTBAM

:lol:

mastodon421
09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Just went to download it via a rapidgator link and coincidentally for the security code I got one of those drop down questions "the opposite of heavy is?" and all the answers had to do with mass and space :eek:

Rapidgator gave my computer a killer virus yesterday when I went to download the new Brother Ali record, Be careful man.

dcmetal108
09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
When I think of circus music I think of The Doors, not BTBAM. :lol:

Care to explain why? :confused:

MPF
09-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Care to explain why? :confused:

You haven't heard much of the Doors have you? I don't mean the songs on the radio.

larvtard
09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
You haven't heard much of the Doors have you? I don't mean the songs on the radio.

FATHER?

YES SON?

I WANT TO KILL YOU

MOTHER... I WANT TO...

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

ShatteredFlame
09-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Rapidgator gave my computer a killer virus yesterday when I went to download the new Brother Ali record, Be careful man.

I use it all the time and it has never given me problems. And it's the fastest behind Zippyshare and mediafire (which are two that are never available for leaks for some reason :bouville:).

BloodoftheKings
09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Zippyshare and mediafire (which are two that are never available for leaks for some reason :bouville:).

I got the new BTBAM off mediafire.

mastodon421
09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
I use it all the time and it has never given me problems. And it's the fastest behind Zippyshare and mediafire (which are two that are never available for leaks for some reason :bouville:).

I had been using it for a long time, but yesterday I got one of those fraud FBI viruses that lock down your computer and ask you to pay 200 dollars to unlock it and blah blah blah. I got it taken it care of today, but I'm probably not using Rapidgator ever again.

treghet
09-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I had been using it for a long time, but yesterday I got one of those fraud FBI viruses that lock down your computer and ask you to pay 200 dollars to unlock it and blah blah blah. I got it taken it care of today, but I'm probably not using Rapidgator ever again.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kaspersky+Anti-Virus+2013+-+Windows/6261585.p?id=1218725907718&skuId=6261585

MPF
09-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Top 20 as of September 20th, 2012

1.) *Tied* Devin Townsend- Epicloud/Ne Obliviscaris- Portal Of I
3.) Alcest- Les Voyages De L'Βme
4.) Woods Of Ypres- Woods V: Grey Skies & Electric Light
5.) Anathema- Weather Systems
6.) Periphery- Periphery II: This Time It's Personal
7.) Between the Buried and Me- The Parallax II: Future Sequence
8.) Ihsahn- Eremita
9.) Torche- Harmonicraft
10.) The Faceless- Autotheism
11.) Baroness- Yellow & Green
12.) The Contortionist- Intrinsic
13.) Brendon Small- Galaktikon
14.) For the Imperium- For the Imperium
15.) Katatonia- Dead End Kings
16.) Abigail Williams- Becoming
17.) Eluveitie- Helvetios
18.) Testament- Dark Roots Of Earth
19.) Winterfylleth- The Threnody of Triumph
20.) Meshuggah- Koloss

Indestructible
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. Nightwish - Imaganerum(if it counts, I think it was released in the U.S in January but was released everywhere else in November of 2011)
3. Testament - Dark Roots Of The Earth
4. Shadows Fall - Fire From The Sky
5. Sacred 13 - Black Days Behind Us
6. Vindicator - United We Fall(Thrash fans listen to this! \M/)
7. Bonded By Blood - The Aftermath
8. Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent
9. Jeff Loomis Plains Of Oblivion
10. Lamb Of God - Resolution

A lot of you might not know who Sacred 13 and Vindicator are.

Vindicator
Vindicator - Gears Of Fate :rocker: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_WqRlkzt6Q)
Vindicator/Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/savindicator)

Sacred 13
Sacred 13 - Scars And Bruises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyZL1lP8qnQ)
Sacred 13/Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/SACRED-13/208979212825?ref=ts&sk=app_2405167945#!/pages/SACRED-13/208979212825)

John The Drummer
09-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Vindicator sounds familiar, I'll have to check the links once I get on a good computer.

Indestructible
09-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Let Yourself Go (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_8C3Z1W_HI), Nuclear Family (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHmSyGjf6BA) and Oh Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwMqa-_210) are better.

slapguitarer
09-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm 3 songs in right now. It's not just circus music but there's definitely more than usual.

Yeah, what he said. Still most likely my AOTY though

kalfitegrdan
09-20-2012, 10:54 PM
1. Rush - Clockwork Angels
2. Nightwish - Imaganerum(if it counts, I think it was released in the U.S in January but was released everywhere else in November of 2011)
3. Testament - Dark Roots Of The Earth
4. Shadows Fall - Fire From The Sky
5. Sacred 13 - Black Days Behind Us
6. Vindicator - United We Fall(Thrash fans listen to this! \M/)
7. Bonded By Blood - The Aftermath
8. Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent
9. Jeff Loomis Plains Of Oblivion
10. Lamb Of God - Resolution

A lot of you might not know who Sacred 13 and Vindicator are.

Vindicator
Vindicator - Gears Of Fate :rocker: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_WqRlkzt6Q)
Vindicator/Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/savindicator)

Sacred 13
Sacred 13 - Scars And Bruises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyZL1lP8qnQ)
Sacred 13/Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/SACRED-13/208979212825?ref=ts&sk=app_2405167945#!/pages/SACRED-13/208979212825)

Vindicator is pretty awesome. I saw them like a year ago at Diamond Plate's album release show. Didn't know they had a new one out.

XDoomsayerX
09-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I can't find the new BTBAM :(

BloodoftheKings
09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dd3Jc.jpg

powerslave_85
09-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I can't find the new BTBAM :(
Took me literally about 5 seconds :lol:

DethMaiden
09-22-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm trying to decide if I'll submit a list here this year. I've posted, like, five times in 2012, and I'm sure Djentvin Townsend and Between the Faceless and Me albums will make up the entire top ten whether I do or not. :hmm:

BloodoftheKings
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Djentvin Townsend

There isn't 1 djent riff on Epicloud.

mastodon421
09-22-2012, 05:41 PM
There isn't 1 djent riff on Epicloud.

Yeah there isn't even anything remotely djent about Epicloud.

ShatteredFlame
09-22-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm trying to decide if I'll submit a list here this year. I've posted, like, five times in 2012, and I'm sure Djentvin Townsend and Between the Faceless and Me albums will make up the entire top ten whether I do or not. :hmm:

I mean at least The Money Store has a decent shot at making the list....I hope.

BloodoftheKings
09-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I mean at least The Money Store has a decent shot at making the list....I hope.

It is making the list. Me, you, Maitland, and slappy all have it high up on our list. And if No Love Deep Web lives up to the hype that will probably make the list too.

powerslave_85
09-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I listened to the new BTBAM when I went for my run this morning. It's fine, I guess. Nothing they've done since Colors has really blow me away.

illuminatus917
09-22-2012, 08:18 PM

I can already tell you I will be voting for none of those albums. :lol:

Regardless, you should do an EOY thread.

dcmetal108
09-22-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm with DethMaiden with the fact of I think only one album I had in my top 10 was on the list last year.

This year I doubt one will even be on that list.

illuminatus917
09-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm with DethMaiden with the fact of I think only one album I had in my top 10 was on the list last year.

This year I doubt one will even be on that list.

I'll be satisfied as long as there's variety. One-dimensionality is what I'll have an issue with, not lack of congruency between my list and MSL's. I don't see that being an issue.

kalfitegrdan
09-22-2012, 11:52 PM
I'll be satisfied as long as there's variety. One-dimensionality is what I'll have an issue with, not lack of congruency between my list and MSL's. I don't see that being an issue.

It just means you're more wicked undergrounds than the majority of people here.

w00tasaurus
09-23-2012, 06:11 AM
Never listened to Witchcraft before but their new album seems pretty good, they have a good singer. It's relaxing.

Hooded Menace and Encrust are also impressive albums.

mastodon421
09-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Not voting in the year-end thread because your afraid none of your albums are going to make it is fucking stupid. I know there is epic amounts of bitching from pretty much everyone year after year from what makes the list, but not voting because you are assuming you won't be satisfied with the final product just doesn't make any damn sense. I can guarantee I won't enjoy every album on the top 10, but that is no way, shape, or form deterring me from participating in the year-end voting.

illuminatus917
09-23-2012, 10:48 AM
If anyone has heard a post-rock album this year worth writing home about, I would love to learn of it.

DethMaiden
09-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Y'all are still an easy troll. :)

DethMaiden
09-23-2012, 10:56 AM
If anyone has heard a post-rock album this year worth writing home about, I would love to learn of it.

MONO, "For My Parents"

smearCampaign
09-23-2012, 10:59 AM

I enjoyed Caves Of Steel's Troposphere/Magnetosphere (http://music.cavesofsteel.no/) EP.

powerslave_85
09-23-2012, 11:12 AM
I guarantee you won't listen to anything as challenging as Swans' "The Seer."

larvtard
09-23-2012, 11:21 AM

I'm not an expert on post-rock, but check out Gifts From Enola's side of their split w/ Caravels.

Slap, I recall you mentioning Young Hunter on here. I saw them written up on Metal Bandcamp, so I checked them out. They're great! Remind me a lot of SubRosa.

Other stuff I'm enjoying:
Self-Corruption - History of Clowns without a doubt one of the better grind records I've heard in a long time.
Vilipend - Inamorata If you like Gaza, Enabler, or Protestant, check these dudes out. Fuckin' amazing album...
Ghostlimb - Confluence Justin Smith is the fucking man. Along with playing top-notch noisy hardcore in Ghostlimb, he does cinema-grind in Graf Orlock and hardcore/powerviolence in Dangers.

EDIT: Speaking of Protestant, their new album Reclamation is killer as well. Tragedy meets Modern Life is War with black metal influence :rocker:

treghet
09-23-2012, 12:23 PM

You should PM idrinkwine.

illuminatus917
09-23-2012, 01:15 PM
MONO, "For My Parents"

That's the only post-rock album in my top 20. Which is really bad.

It's every other Mono album redux, except a little lighter in tone, and only better than Hymn to the Immortal Wind.

I enjoyed Caves Of Steel's Troposphere/Magnetosphere (http://music.cavesofsteel.no/) EP.

That was okay, but nothing groundbreaking. The first track was pretty good.

I'm not an expert on post-rock, but check out Gifts From Enola's side of their split w/ Caravels.

I see they also have a full length coming out in November, from which only two tracks are up for listen on their bandcamp. I'll listen to that and the split before the year's up. Thank you Larv :party:.

You should PM idrinkwine.

I did a while back but he had nothing. Could be wrong, but I don't get the feeling he puts as much time into it as he used to. :(

Post-rock so far:

1. Mono - For My Parents
2. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
3. tι - Thus, The Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems
4. Pray For Sound - Monophonic
5. Hypomanie - Calm Down, You Weren't Set on Fire
6. Dumbsaint - Something That You Feel Will Find Its Own Form
7. Collapse Under the Empire - Fragments of a Prayer

Caspian's Waking Season and Summer Fades Away's We Meet the Last Time, Then Departure will hopefully oust some of those albums before it's said and done.

And I haven't given the Swans album enough time yet.

DementedX14
09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Here is my top 10 so far...
10. Aborted - Global Flatline
9. Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
8. Katatonia - Dead End Kings
7. Fear Factory - The Industrialist
6. Alcest - Les Voyages De L'Βme
5. Lamb Of God - Resolution
4. Anathema - Weather Systems
3. Celldweller - Wish Upon a Blackstar
2. Periphery - Periphery II
1. Sybreed - God is an Automaton

GarageMetal468
09-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Not voting in the year-end thread because your afraid none of your albums are going to make it is fucking stupid. I know there is epic amounts of bitching from pretty much everyone year after year from what makes the list, but not voting because you are assuming you won't be satisfied with the final product just doesn't make any damn sense. I can guarantee I won't enjoy every album on the top 10, but that is no way, shape, or form deterring me from participating in the year-end voting.

I'm still frustrated that Exhumed was tied with Steel Panther last year...

DethMaiden
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
That's the only post-rock album in my top 20. Which is really bad.

It's every other Mono album redux, except a little lighter in tone, and only better than Hymn to the Immortal Wind.

Disagree with that critique. I think the inclusion of the Wordless Music Orchestra makes a huge difference, and I think conceptually it feels like they're really moving past whatever "post-rock" initially meant and just making the most gorgeous, cinematic music a guitar-oriented group can manage.

It's in my top 10 and I'd be surprised if it isn't there come year's end.

dcmetal108
09-23-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm still frustrated that Exhumed was tied with Steel Panther last year...

Both are bomb ass bands. (I like Steel Panther more but to each their own). I know you don't like them though ;)

illuminatus917
09-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Disagree with that critique. I think the inclusion of the Wordless Music Orchestra makes a huge difference, and I think conceptually it feels like they're really moving past whatever "post-rock" initially meant and just making the most gorgeous, cinematic music a guitar-oriented group can manage.

It's in my top 10 and I'd be surprised if it isn't there come year's end.

Well Hymns featured a 28-piece chamber orchestra, but granted, this feels different and their early albums weren't so orchestral. Mono has always been past whatever post-rock was supposed to be, especially since You Are There. They were never in the aping EITS or Mogwai business and they never tried to do what Godspeed did, but for an album like this to maximize its potential it needs a trumpet or a distortion pedal or some of the heaviness from their first three albums or something to make it sound like more than a Michael Bay film score.

idrinkwine732
09-24-2012, 12:17 AM
I did a while back but he had nothing. Could be wrong, but I don't get the feeling he puts as much time into it as he used to. :(

Been a busy man lately, I'm afraid. I'm not even sure what my end of the year list is going to look like. Hopefully things will quiet down for me so I can get acquainted with some new music, but it's not looking like that'll happen for a while. I'll find something though, I always do :light:.

illuminatus917
09-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Been a busy man lately, I'm afraid. I'm not even sure what my end of the year list is going to look like. Hopefully things will quiet down for me so I can get acquainted with some new music, but it's not looking like that'll happen for a while. I'll find something though, I always do :light:.

If it's any solace, this year seems weaker than the past few. The post-rock doesn't compare to 2011. Black and doom have been strong, but all the albums now at the top took a long time to get there. The Baroness album took a ton of patience. I still need to give more time to Swans and Dψdsengel, both of which are massive albums. I've yet to hear an album this year that blew me away from the get go (I don't know what this portends for you and lack of time :eyes:). I've considered patience a forte of mine for a while now, I've even prided myself on it, but this year has been really trying.

And I do miss the collaboration.

DethMaiden
09-24-2012, 10:38 AM
If this has been a good year for black metal, someone needs to tell me what I'm missing. Right now only Ash Borer has a snowball's chance in hell of making my final list. (Nachtmystium is sitting at #10 but a handful of albums would have to severely disappoint for it to stay there.)

EDIT: In case y'all missed it, here was my review of Ash Borer: http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012/09/ash-borer-%E2%80%93-cold-of-ages/

illuminatus917
09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
If this has been a good year for black metal, someone needs to tell me what I'm missing. Right now only Ash Borer has a snowball's chance in hell of making my final list. (Nachtmystium is sitting at #10 but a handful of albums would have to severely disappoint for it to stay there.)

Here's what I'm looking at right now, snatched off my list.

Borgne - Royaume des Ombres
Ash Borer - Cold of Ages
Sentimen Beltza - Zulo Beltz eta Sakon Honetan
Mgła - With Hearts Toward None
Furia - Marzannie, Krσlowej Polski
Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht
Aptorian Demon - Libertus
Dψdsengel - Imperator
Panopticon - Kentucky

InThyFlesh is supposed to be releasing a new album this fall, which if as good as Claustrophobia, will be one of the best BM releases this year.

I've read a lot of positive reviews of Rahu's The Quest for the Vajra of Shadows, but I haven't started liking it yet. Same with Spectral Lore's Sentinel.

Natrlhi
09-24-2012, 01:57 PM
If anyone has heard a post-rock album this year worth writing home about, I would love to learn of it.You need to check out "Red Forest" by If These Trees Could Talk.

It's no "Notes for the Synthesis" or "Plains of the Purple Buffalo", but not every post-rock album needs to have an orchestra on it in order to be interesting.

I guarantee you won't listen to anything as challenging as Swans' "The Seer."I would tend to agree.

Post-rock so far:

1. Mono - For My Parents
2. If These Trees Could Talk - Red Forest
3. tι - Thus, The Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems
4. Pray For Sound - Monophonic
5. Hypomanie - Calm Down, You Weren't Set on Fire
6. Dumbsaint - Something That You Feel Will Find Its Own Form
7. Collapse Under the Empire - Fragments of a Prayer

Caspian's Waking Season and Summer Fades Away's We Meet the Last Time, Then Departure will hopefully oust some of those albums before it's said and done.

And I haven't given the Swans album enough time yet.:lol: Yet again, I see you and I agree on something here. Never mind my above recommendation.

I'm not so sure the new Caspian will be as outstanding as I might have otherwise expected. I've heard some things that concern me, and they just recently toured here with Cursive and Minus the Bear, which doesn't help to disspell what rumors I've heard about the direction in which they are reportedly headed. Of course, I'll reserve my judgment until I actually hear it.

EDIT: The new pg.lost sounds like it might have some potential as well.

Natrlhi
09-24-2012, 01:58 PM

EDIT: In case y'all missed it, here was my review of Ash Borer: http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2012/09/ash-borer-%E2%80%93-cold-of-ages/I like what I've heard of Ash Borer so far. Winterfylleth sounded OK as well, but I only skimmed that one.

larvtard
09-24-2012, 02:05 PM
The only black metal album I've enjoyed this year is the new Vorkreist album, but I can't find it anywhere. I also like The Howling Wind, but the production quality's shit. Oh well.

illuminatus917
09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
It's no "Notes for the Synthesis" or "Plains of the Purple Buffalo"

I think last year was the best year for post-rock since 2000. There's a decent chance we won't see a year like that again for a long, long time.

I'm not so sure the new Caspian will be as outstanding as I might have otherwise expected. I've heard some things that concern me, and they just recently toured here with Cursive and Minus the Bear, which doesn't help to disspell what rumors I've heard about the direction in which they are reportedly headed. Of course, I'll reserve my judgment until I actually hear it.

This is the one post-rock album left I'm really holding out hope for. I haven't heard either of those two bands they played with, but I do know this thought coming from you is disheartening. Major depression will set in if this album is a disappointment.

w00tasaurus
09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Krallice is black metal album of the year, probably album of the year in general

larvtard
09-24-2012, 02:53 PM
The new Inter Arma EP (http://interarma.bandcamp.com/) is quite good, too. It's being released by Gilead Media (False, Barghest, Thou, Hell, Kraliice, Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Mutilation Rites), too.

illuminatus917
09-24-2012, 03:02 PM
The new Inter Arma EP (http://interarma.bandcamp.com/) is quite good, too. It's being released by Gilead Media (False, Barghest, Thou, Hell, Kraliice, Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Mutilation Rites), too.

I corresponded with one of the guys from Fell Voices recently and he said they won't be releasing a new album until early 2013.

daimonos
09-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Mgła - With Hearts Toward None

This is great.

christopher
09-24-2012, 10:12 PM
New Muse has leaked!!!

idrinkwine732
09-24-2012, 10:26 PM

pg.lost are one of my favorite young groups. Really like them.

MPF
09-25-2012, 12:02 AM
New Muse has leaked!!!

And it blows!

Electronica, Dubstep and Alternative Rock. It can be a good mix, but Muse fucked it up. 3 albums in a row they have disappointed me. I have officially given up on them.

christopher
09-25-2012, 12:15 AM
And it blows!

Electronica, Dubstep and Alternative Rock. It can be a good mix, but Muse fucked it up. 3 albums in a row they have disappointed me. I have officially given up on them.

It does blow. Have you listened to it?? It's nothing but slow songs. :(

MPF
09-25-2012, 12:17 AM
It does blow. Have you listened to it?? It's nothing but slow songs. :(

I got the promo in my email late last night. I got 6 songs in before I had to click stop, then click delete. I just couldn't do it. I don't get what happened. they were phenomenal until Absolution *their highest peak*, then they just decided to go mainstream and the quality of songs just suck.

christopher
09-25-2012, 12:21 AM
I got the promo in my email late last night. I got 6 songs in before I had to click stop, then click delete. I just couldn't do it. I don't get what happened. they were phenomenal until Absolution *their highest peak*, then they just decided to go mainstream and the quality of songs just suck.

I agree completely that Absolution was their peak. Origin of Symmetry was my favorite overall. I do think that the song writing for Black Holes and Resistance were amazing. I loved every song from the first five albums. I seriously thought they could not write a bad album until I listened to the new album...

MPF
09-25-2012, 12:30 AM
I agree completely that Absolution was their peak. Origin of Symmetry was my favorite overall. I do think that the song writing for Black Holes and Resistance were amazing. I loved every song from the first five albums. I seriously thought they could not write a bad album until I listened to the new album...

It's a sad state for sure. How they thought doing Dubstep was going to make them a better band is beyond me. but I know at this point there is no going back. They are just going to continue to suck. Its not fair.

adamclark52
09-25-2012, 12:39 AM
I just heard the song Unsustainable and it sounded pretty cool, but it didn't sound like Muse. I'd like to hear how part two of the song is. The other songs I heard (Survival and Madness) were pretty boring.

w00tasaurus
09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
So the new Revocation EP is out. I think it's better than anything on their most recent album, and is among their best material. What do you guys think?

illuminatus917
09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
How to Destroy Angels is releasing a new EP in November.

treghet
09-25-2012, 01:08 PM
So the new Revocation EP is out. I think it's better than anything on their most recent album, and is among their best material. What do you guys think?

The first song is pretty good, but it don't care for those backing vocals starting at 2:35. The next song was just alright, nothing particularly interesting until the solo. "Maniacally Unleashed" is one of the strongest tracks. It's awesome all the way through. Then comes the title track, which is heavy, but feels somewhat repetitive and has a slight Job for a Cowboy feel to it. As it has already been said, it's basically generic modern death metal, but I think the solo saves it from being too mediocre. After that "Bound by Desire" brings everything back to life. The solos in this song are incredible and definitely the highlight of the EP. It might be one of my favorite Revocation songs. Overall Teratogenesis is very enjoyable, but I still think that Existence is Futile stands as Revocation's strongest work.

illuminatus917
09-25-2012, 02:43 PM

Yep, it looks like this is shaping up to be the best post-rock release of the year...

street_burial
09-25-2012, 04:02 PM
for the first time in 2 years I waited until release day to get an album, not listening to the song previews etc.. on the first listen through of the new As I Lay Dying and I think I've already found my AOTY.

OraclesofAgony
09-25-2012, 05:12 PM
"Bound By Desire" alone makes the new Revocation EP worth it. What a monster track.

XDoomsayerX
09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
The first song is pretty good, but it don't care for those backing vocals starting at 2:35. The next song was just alright, nothing particularly interesting until the solo. "Maniacally Unleashed" is one of the strongest tracks. It's awesome all the way through. Then comes the title track, which is heavy, but feels somewhat repetitive and has a slight Job for a Cowboy feel to it. As it has already been said, it's basically generic modern death metal, but I think the solo saves it from being too mediocre. After that "Bound by Desire" brings everything back to life. The solos in this song are incredible and definitely the highlight of the EP. It might be one of my favorite Revocation songs. Overall Teratogenesis is very enjoyable, but I still think that Existence is Futile stands as Revocation's strongest work.

Pretty much this. I'd rank Revocations work like this:

Existence is Futile> Empire of the Obscene> Chaos of Forms> Teratogenesis

for the first time in 2 years I waited until release day to get an album, not listening to the song previews etc.. on the first listen through of the new As I Lay Dying and I think I've already found my AOTY.

Well then I must listen to this album.

illuminatus917
09-25-2012, 07:56 PM

pg.lost are one of my favorite young groups. Really like them.

:wow: This is what I've been looking for. Listening to Weaver right now... YES. It's better than I imagined.

Thanks guys. :party:

street_burial
09-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Well then I must listen to this album.

This right here is the only track you need to hear for you to love it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiXDMwe5nk4)

This damn song is easily my new favorite AILD track. THOSE. FUCKING. CLEANS.

w00tasaurus
09-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Oak Pantheon sounds very good. May be worthy of my playlist with cormorant and agalloch.

Natrlhi
09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
New Muse has leaked!!!

And it blows!

Electronica, Dubstep and Alternative Rock. It can be a good mix, but Muse fucked it up. 3 albums in a row they have disappointed me. I have officially given up on them.Muse has always had some degree of electronica in their music, so nothing has changed here except maybe for the relative amount of it in the mix - and no, don't even think about saying, "yeah, it's ALL electronic this time!", because it's clearly not. The supermassive distaste for dubstep on this forum just makes me laugh. They do it on exactly ONE fucking track. One. And to tell you the truth, it's not overdone and it actually sounds kinda cool to me. Some of you people on here and your sensitive gag reflexes just make me chuckle. All electronic-sounding stuff is not dubstep. Get it through your heads. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also, are you saying that "Black Holes" was a disappointment?!?

It does blow. Have you listened to it?? It's nothing but slow songs. :(There is some truth here. The songs are a bit more tame this time around, and there are really no clear bangers like "Stockholm", "Hysteria", "Supermassive" or "Knights" on the new album. However, I think to say "it blows" is exaggerating quite a bit.

I got the promo in my email late last night. I got 6 songs in before I had to click stop, then click delete. I just couldn't do it. I don't get what happened. they were phenomenal until Absolution *their highest peak*, then they just decided to go mainstream and the quality of songs just suck.Congratulations on being objective and / or patient. :rolleyes: Kids these days. It's all about instant gratification or fuck it and move on to the next sensory stimulus.

I seriously thought they could not write a bad album until I listened to the new album...Another overstatement in my opinion.

It's a sad state for sure. How they thought doing Dubstep was going to make them a better band is beyond me. but I know at this point there is no going back. They are just going to continue to suck. Its not fair.One song. One fucking song. Cool your jets, son.

I just heard the song Unsustainable and it sounded pretty cool, but it didn't sound like Muse. I'd like to hear how part two of the song is. The other songs I heard (Survival and Madness) were pretty boring.Part two of the song has no dubstep in it, and it sounds rather like typical Muse fare. I do agree that the overall feel is that there is less to get excited about on this album, but there are definitely some classic Muse sounds here, and it's actually less of a departure from their typical style than "The Resistance" was. In a way, it's a return to form, with some experimentation in a few new directions. It's interesting, but not great.

brutal_descent
09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Muse has always had some degree of electronica in their music, so nothing has changed here except maybe for the relative amount of it in the mix - and no, don't even think about saying, "yeah, it's ALL electronic this time!", because it's clearly not. The supermassive distaste for dubstep on this forum just makes me laugh. They do it on exactly ONE fucking track. One. And to tell you the truth, it's not overdone and it actually sounds kinda cool to me. Some of you people on here and your sensitive gag reflexes just make me chuckle. All electronic-sounding stuff is not dubstep. Get it through your heads. :rolleyes:

There is some truth here. The songs are a bit more tame this time around, and there are really no clear bangers like "Stockholm", "Hysteria", "Supermassive" or "Knights" on the new album. However, I think to say "it blows" is exaggerating quite a bit.

Congratulations on being objective and / or patient. :rolleyes: Kids these days. It's all about instant gratification or fuck it and move on to the next sensory stimulus.

Another overstatement in my opinion.

One song. One fucking song. Cool your jets, son.

Part two of the song has no dubstep in it, and it sounds rather like typical Muse fare. I do agree that the overall feel is that there is less to get excited about on this album, but there are definitely some classic Muse sounds here, and it's actually less of a departure from their typical style than "The Resistance" was. In a way, it's a return to form, with some experimentation in a few new directions. It's interesting, but not great.

Nat, I've never wanted to high-five you so bad :lol:

I listened to the album last night, and really liked it. Like Nat said, there was only one track with dubstep influence, and it worked, too.

christopher
09-26-2012, 08:50 AM
You are definitely correct in everything you say Nat. I also noticed there was only one dubstep sounding song and that didn't stop me from listening to it. Every song is very tame and piano driven. It's definitely Muse, but not how I like hearing them. I like having at least a few hard hitting, guitar driven songs, but this album lacks that. I know Mathew wanted to experiment with more of an orchestral sounding album. I thought he would do something amazing after hearing Exogenesis, but it didn't turn out so well in my opinion. I still have hope for Muse in the future. I'm sure Mathew just needed to get these types of songs out of his system.

brutal_descent
09-26-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm sure Mathew just needed to get these types of songs out of his system.

The same way Mikael needed to get his inner 70's prog nerd out into the light with Heritage, right?

Natrlhi
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I also noticed there was only one dubstep sounding song and that didn't stop me from listening to it. Every song is very tame and piano driven. It's definitely Muse, but not how I like hearing them. I like having at least a few hard hitting, guitar driven songs, but this album lacks that. I know Mathew wanted to experiment with more of an orchestral sounding album. I thought he would do something amazing after hearing Exogenesis, but it didn't turn out so well in my opinion. I still have hope for Muse in the future. I'm sure Mathew just needed to get these types of songs out of his system.:agree: Now this post I can get on board with. :lol:

Natrlhi
09-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Nat, I've never wanted to high-five you so bad :lol:Easy, Borat. And get away from me with that over-the-shoulder man thong right fucking now. That's fucked up.

dcmetal108
09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
New The Acacia Strain album is pretty good.

brutal_descent
09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Easy, Borat. And get away from me with that over-the-shoulder man thong right fucking now. That's fucked up.

-_-' He's from Kazakhstan.

jhdeity
09-26-2012, 10:35 AM
This right here is the only track you need to hear for you to love it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiXDMwe5nk4)

I'm with you man. This cd is bad ass. Top 10 for sure...

MPF
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Muse has always had some degree of electronica in their music, so nothing has changed here except maybe for the relative amount of it in the mix - and no, don't even think about saying, "yeah, it's ALL electronic this time!", because it's clearly not. The supermassive distaste for dubstep on this forum just makes me laugh. They do it on exactly ONE fucking track. One. And to tell you the truth, it's not overdone and it actually sounds kinda cool to me. Some of you people on here and your sensitive gag reflexes just make me chuckle. All electronic-sounding stuff is not dubstep. Get it through your heads. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also, are you saying that "Black Holes" was a disappointment?!?

Congratulations on being objective and / or patient. :rolleyes: Kids these days. It's all about instant gratification or fuck it and move on to the next sensory stimulus.

Another overstatement in my opinion.

In order:

I didn't say it was all dubstep and Electronica, but its heavily in there. the only song, Save Me had anything redeeming about the album and even that didn't.....save the album.

And yes Black Holes and Revelations couldn't have been more of a disappointment in my eyes. As an old fan of Muse I liked when the electronics was in the background, not the forefront. ever since BH&R, that's what it's been.

I'm 24, I can't be that much younger then you. I've been a fan since I discovered Muse on the Little Nicky soundtrack. I'm not into this style of music, it's not growing to grow on me. Muse tried that twice with Black Holes and Revelations and The Resistance, it didn't work then, and this album is more of what I don't like from the band. More so than ever.

Albums don't have to be perfect off the bat. My favorite albums had to grow on me. But it also has to be something I can get into. For me, that's not Muse anymore.

brutal_descent
09-26-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm 24, I can't be that much younger then you

:lol: Take a look at Nat's age on his page.

MPF
09-26-2012, 03:27 PM
:lol: Take a look at Nat's age on his page.

I have a lot of friend Nat's age. I mean yeah I'm a kid to a lot of people I know. but on the scale of who goes here, I am one of the older guys here.

But even that is besides the point. He lumped me in with people who want their music to hit them right away or nothing at all, as if I never let music sink in, and that I don't actually care about real music at all. I'm a bit offended by that by how much I have actually accomplished in the last 7 months promoting music, getting a new radio show off the ground and getting to interview some of my biggest heroes.

Then again, its Metalsetlists, so I might as well just call everyone a fag and carry on with the discussion. :lol:

Natrlhi
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
the point

your head

You're much closer to being a kid than you are to being my age.

You said in your own words that you gave the Muse album about twenty minues of your time, and then gave up on it, and them, entirely. If that isn't some pretty compelling evidence of a situation where you had very little patience, objectivity or proper perspective on things, then I don't know what is.

(Note the proper use of "than" and "then" above.)

dcmetal108
09-26-2012, 04:40 PM
the point

your head

You said in your own words that you gave the Muse album about twenty minues of your time, and then gave up on it, and them, entirely. If that isn't some pretty compelling evidence of a situation where you had very little patience, objectivity or proper perspective on things, then I don't know what is.

Nat just owned MPF's bitch ass :lol: #wiseoldman

Also surprising Pathologys new album is good.

XDoomsayerX
09-26-2012, 04:50 PM

I thought it was okay. I dont see this album making the top of my list.

Also what I've heard from Muse's new album I've enjoyed. :eyes:

Then again I like the new Baroness and most peeps shit all over it...

illuminatus917
09-26-2012, 04:52 PM

:tp:

larvtard
09-26-2012, 04:58 PM

yeah, you're trying too hard

MPF
09-26-2012, 05:01 PM
the point

your head

Yeah I did. If a failing band, in my eyes, over several albums can't capture my interest half way into an album, Its so very, very rare that they will win me back with the second half. So there was no point in hearing the rest of the album at the time when half an album had caught zero interest.

Still trying to figure out how the age thing has anything to do with how I feel about an album. I am bombarded with music from promos and bands and my own discoveries, especially in the last 7 months. at 38GBs of 2012 currently and the year is far from done. Not spouting about that, if anything its a burden. While its a good burden to have, overwhelmingly it takes up a lot of my time to really dig into an album. At this point, if half an album has literally nothing I like about it, at all, there's no point in trying out the rest. Not when there is more music I gotta check out for what I do.

And if you really wanna get into my using "Than/Then", learn how to spell "minutes".

Do you really wanna go there?

dcmetal108
09-26-2012, 05:23 PM
yeah, you're trying too hard

hahaha my friend made that up. I just found it too funny not to post.

MPF
09-26-2012, 05:24 PM
hahaha my friend made that up. I just found it too funny not to post.

I just find it ironic that's all :lol:

BloodoftheKings
09-26-2012, 05:28 PM
>butthurt in the 2012 releases thread
http://i.imgur.com/z2jrA.jpg

IrritatedTrout
09-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Still looking forward to Kiss, The Sword, Black Country Communion, Soundgarden, and the new Zep live album for the rest of the year.

Nater
09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
I got Dublin Deat Patrols new one and the new Pathology. DDP is fucking fantastic thrash. Heavy fast with some awesome slower songs. Butcher Baby stands out because it's basicly a crossover song and it kicks ass.

I'm not all the way through Pathology but it's nothing fantastic but they have some real ripping solos in it. The vocals are real iffy now too.

and for any who care Troglodyte has pre-orders up for their new album! :party: I pre-ordered mine last night and if it all sounds as good as the last album and this new song....then I have no doubt it will by high in my top 10

http://soundcloud.com/troglodyte-band/in-search-of

Natrlhi
09-26-2012, 06:46 PM
And if you really wanna get into my using "Than/Then", learn how to spell "minutes".You really think I don't know how to spell "minutes"? Really? Do you think anybody here is buying that shit?

Your misuse of the word "then", however, is well-documented. You do it all the time, so clearly it's not a typo. Mine was. Obviously.

..and as far as the ongoing argument about the music (which is about to stop now), the fact of the matter is that you bailed on the album and the band after giving them twenty lousy minutes. That's lame. End of story. I nearly hated Yellow & Green on first listen, but now it's one of my favorite releases of 2012. That happened because I took a patient approach with the music - fact. ...and as far as your pitiful excuse about having too many albums and too little time (you big bad media mogul, you :rolleyes:)...trust me, if there's a motherfucker on this forum who's busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger, then it's me way the fuck more than it is you.

...but I still find time to be objective. Either that, or I just keep my trap shut and let the people who have actually listened to the album give their (hopefully informed) opinions on it.

tl;dr: you ripped the fuck out of an album based on listening to half of it and that makes you lame

GarageMetal468
09-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Why can't we all listen to the new Evoken, Asphyx, and Dying Fetus and just be happy?

christopher
09-26-2012, 06:51 PM
...and as far as your pitiful excuse about having too many albums and too little time (you big bad media mogul, you :rolleyes:)...

First world problems.:usa:

dcmetal108
09-26-2012, 06:54 PM
So does anyone (JD) know when the hell Terror's new album is coming out? Wasn't if suppose to come out in like March.

BloodoftheKings
09-26-2012, 07:03 PM
So does anyone (JD) know when the hell Terror's new album is coming out? Wasn't if suppose to come out in like March.

Yeah I almost forgot they were supposed to have a new album. Honestly a new Terror album isn't much to get excited about, you already know exactly what it's gonna sound like.

Natrlhi
09-26-2012, 07:11 PM
This is the one post-rock album left I'm really holding out hope for. I haven't heard either of those two bands they played with, but I do know this thought coming from you is disheartening. Major depression will set in if this album is a disappointment.I have good news and bad news for you. First, the bad news. Remember that pg.lost album you thought was the best post-rock album released so far this year? Well it might have been, but now it's not anymore.

Now the good news. "Waking Season" has unseated it. Yeah, that's fucking right.

I was wrong - so wrong - and I couldn't be happier about it. :D

The album is now streaming on Spin magazine's web site, and it's fucking GORGEOUS. :lovedup:

illuminatus917
09-26-2012, 07:12 PM
just be happy?

Pshhh. This is the best action this thread has seen since, ever.

I think we need to hear more about Muse. I'm still not getting a strong sense of how anyone feels about it.