PDA

View Full Version : Worst show/s you've ever seen?

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 12:48 AM
Only two bad ones that stick out in my mind would be:

Queen with Paul Rogers

Decapitated with the new singer

MPF
12-04-2011, 12:56 AM
I honestly can't think of one. I've been to plenty of shows where I didn't care about the headliner but the opening bands kicked ass, and vice versa. but never one that was just overall shitty the whole night.

I'd say Children of Bodom in July, but Septic Flesh Obscura and Devin Townsend was all I watched and they kicked ass. Or I could say Protest The Hero back on Wednesday, but they honestly played just fine, I just grew out of them.

And the opening bands that I have seen that sucked were usually local bands that I'd never care about, so mentioning them would be pointless. haha

TonyD
12-04-2011, 01:02 AM
Worst bang for your buck definitely goes to Metallica

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 01:07 AM
Decapitated with the new singer

He's that bad, huh??

mankvill
12-04-2011, 01:11 AM
I try to find some positives about every show, but by far the two worst shows I've ever been too have both been headlined by Job For A Cowboy.

Show 1: Job For A Cowboy/Hate Eternal/All Shall Perish/Animosity/Annotations Of An Autopsy

Crowd was fucking terrible, full of idiots who just wanted to hardcore dance and literally turned their backs when Hate Eternal was on. :hecho: I left before JFAC.

Show 2: Job For A Cowboy/Whitechapel/Cattle Decapitation/Revocation

Cattle Decapitation and Revocation were fucking brilliant, but all the scene kid retards were heckling Revocation. WTF? Revocation was like "Okay, we're gonna speed it up on this one" and someone yelled out "Speed your way off stage" :bouville:

Stayed through Whitechapel to meet Revocation and it was the worst performance I've ever seen by any band. Absolute garbage. I left before JFAC.

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 01:24 AM
Plenty of shitty opening bands I've never heard of, but here I some bands that I either like/have heard of:

Bury Your Dead - NEMHF : They sucked. PA sucked, they looked like shit (Mat had gained probably 40 lbs, and Slim 60-70 - not kidding), new drummer kept fucking up, guitars were muddy. Just bad. Granted it was their first song w/ their old lead singer since '06, and was also their new drummer's first gig. However, there's no excuse for being as bad as they were.

Born of Osiris - NEMHF : They sounded like shit, I hate their stage prescence and actions, and I don't like their music.

Summer Slaughter - Montreal : Just an overall experience I regret. Show itself wasn't awful. Dying Fetus killed it and Abysmal Dawn was solid. However, Six Feet Under couldn't make it, Whitechapel was the co-headliner and only played for 37 minutes, lights were dim as hell so my videos sucked, paid $40 for the ticket. Just overall too much $ spent for a subpar experience.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 01:24 AM
He's that bad, huh??

Yeah dude, he's fucking TERRIBLE, I wanted to leave but my ride didn't

Show 2: Job For A Cowboy/Whitechapel/Cattle Decapitation/Revocation

Cattle Decapitation and Revocation were fucking brilliant, but all the scene kid retards were heckling Revocation. WTF? Revocation was like "Okay, we're gonna speed it up on this one" and someone yelled out "Speed your way off stage" :bouville:

I was lucky enough to get an off date from that ter, only Revocation and Cattle Decap. It was fuckin nuts, met Travis and he signed my Homovore Vinyl. I still remember seeing a surprised look on his face when I whipped that out. hahaha

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Yeah dude, he's fucking TERRIBLE, I wanted to leave but my ride didn't

That sucks. I had heard he was a hack. I actually liked their new album. If it weren't for the new singer, the album would be great IMO.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 01:29 AM
One time at a festie this chick was trying to get me to come to Skrillex with her, she was cute and I wasn't familiar with him at the time so I said whatever cause nobody else I liked was playing. After 5 mins I told her it wasn't worth it and left. She didn't look too happy. Oh well, pretty girls are plentiful at fests, pretty sure I found another one to hang out with before the sun even went down.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 01:30 AM
That sucks. I had heard he was a hack. I actually liked their new album. If it weren't for the new singer, the album would be great IMO.

THEY MADE AN ALBUM WITH HIM????

Wow... That's something that makes me still wish I was out of the loop....

MetalIsArt
12-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Type O Negative at GMM 2007. Like I said before, You just knew the man was going to die very soon. Awful sound, Peter Steele was more interested in his lyric book and his wine bottle.

Channel Zero at GMM 2010: no further comment.

Sean Paul at Rock Werchter 2004: Early in the evening we had to see (because we were in the front row) this whining drug fuelled wanksta. Positive thing: I was remembered again why I HATE RNB.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Old R&B is good stuff. But other than that I would agree with you.

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 05:19 AM
THEY MADE AN ALBUM WITH HIM????

Wow... That's something that makes me still wish I was out of the loop....

Yeah. Musically, it was pretty good IMO. His vocals though, not so much. Still listenable, but far below their past vocalists.

GarageMetal468
12-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Probably when I saw Suffocation last year at a venue in West Dundee, IL. Now at first you may think "WHAT" but not to worry, Suffocation fucking killed it live and I am more than happy to have FINALLY seen them, but they got their set cut really short because the people at the venue didn't know what they were doing. They took literally half an hour to sound check Fleshgod Apocalypse, most of the time spent checking the wrong fucking microphone.

Decrepit Birth were awesome as well there. Through the Eyes of the Dead were awful. Same with The Faceless, I've seen them before and they've been great then but they were just horrible that night. And of course, because these people don't know how to run a venue, they cut Suffocation's set from over an hour to under 40 minutes. I am so glad that the venue was shut down now because I could've sworn that I would've burned it down sometime soon after that.

adamclark52
12-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Easily the Melvins in Toronto last year. Doors at 6:30, I got there at 7 and got the rail, waited until 9:15 for the Melvins to come out, no openers, they played for an hour and a half and the set was terrible. The band didn't want to be there. I'll never see them again, and they're one of my favorite bands

And even though it was one of the best concerts I ever saw, standing for two hours listing to traditional Indian music waiting for Mr. Bungle in 1999 was horrid. Thankfully Bungle was great.

mastodon421
12-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Blink-182/My Chemical Romance- It wasn't so much the performances (though blink-182 half-assed the first third of their set), just the overall experience made this the least fun I've ever had a concert. The crowd was full of douchebags. I saw at least 30 fistfights on the lawn (one of my friends even said he heard a kid say "I don't even know you, why are we fighting?) It was also downpouring during blink's entire set, which made it even less pleasant. Then the traffic after the show was fucking insane due to the amount of accidents on the highway because of the crazy rain. On top of all that, I had to deal with one of my friends bitchy girlfriend all night. Really not worth it in retrospect.

Bring Me The Horizon/August Burns Red/Emarosa- The worst concert I've been to performance-wise. Only went to see August Burns Red, who were great. It's just Bring Me The Horizon and (especially) Emarosa were god awful. I arrived late and missed Polar Bear Club and This Is Hell, who probably would have made this show more enjoyable.

metallicbrian666
12-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Machine Head (opening for Metallica) - Fucking terrible.

After The Burial (opening for Fear Factory) - Boring as shit and a band full of douchebags. Someone yelled "these guys suck, bring out Fear Factory" and they exploded into full-on wigger defense mode. "Oh yeah bro? What's YOUR band called? Huh bro? Well I haven't heard of em!"

As Blood Runs Black (SS) - "BRING DUH MUDDUH FUKIN WUCKUS"

Oceano (SS) - Garbage. Overtriggered drummer struggled to play their own songs.

AILD (w/ LOG, COB, MW, GF) - Boring. Overrated band with a shitty singer (that sounds good in Austrian Death Machine. Probably because he sticks to his godawful midrange with AILD)

2 Cents (opening for Danzig) - Didn't know that a lame Pantera tribute band could get signed and tour. At least the singer had the same haircut as CFH era Phil and they covered Strength Beyond Strength because I didn't know that they liked Pantera

ShatteredFlame
12-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Transit in CT a few weeks ago I didn't enjoy to much.

I only went because a friend was going alone and didn't know how to get there, so I said why not and thought it would be a good show to mosh to, and the venue has become my favorite place ever since coming to college here in CT. Well there was like 4 local openers who all had no self confidence whatsoever, played forgettable music, and the crowd didn't care about them at all. I was directly upfront for Transit. The venue really has no stage, it is a foot off the ground so there is nothing to lean on or anything. Well there was no moshing, all it was was a bunch of dudes climbing on top of each other in attempt to scream into the mic. Really had an awful time being up front and not knowing any of the words. The band wasn't even enjoyable to watch. Couldn't wait for it to be over, and luckily the set was only about 20 minutes.

PowerMaiden
12-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Def Leppard and The Scorpions were pretty bad but nothing comes close to the last Metallica gig I went to, everything was horrible and until they refund me my 100$ ticket plus the 60 $ worth of beer I spend there I never give them another penny. Fuck them

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jd091
12-04-2011, 09:02 AM
I might get some hate for this, but hands down Symphony X. Terrible sound, couldn't even hear the guitar. Boring performance.

GarageMetal468
12-04-2011, 09:05 AM
I might get some hate for this, but hands down Symphony X. Terrible sound, couldn't even hear the guitar. Boring performance.

:hmm:

maidenpriest
12-04-2011, 10:41 AM

+1

You must've just had a bad night for sound...I've never had issues with Symphony''s sound in the 3 performances I've seen.

Not any real bad concerts but my biggest disappointment was Metallica (still the only show on the entire Death Magnetic tour to get a song of St. Anger :bouville:)

jd091
12-04-2011, 11:20 AM

+1

You must've just had a bad night for sound...I've never had issues with Symphony''s sound in the 3 performances I've seen.

Well, I really don't like power metal, but everyone on here loves them so I figured I'd check it out, since I'm always open to seeing different genres live. Noooooope. I was more than bored. First time I left before a band was done playing.

treghet
12-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Oceano was the worst band I've ever seen. And I'm not just saying that because they are a typical deathcore band (if you know me well, you know I don't mind generic deathcore). The guitars sounded out of tune and muddy, the vocalist sounded weak, and the drummer was sloppy. All around completely shitty sound. I can't believe their fans actually pay to see them.

christopher
12-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Ceremony was pretty boring when I saw them. The crowd was super into them and went apeshit, but I thought their selection of songs was very boring.

Bastard Noise...makes me want to die when I see them on a show I'm attending.

Doom/Bastard Noise in June was so terrible. There was a big problem about where the show was going to be held for weeks. They finally decided to have the show at some tiny restaurant in Inglewood. The sound was complete shit and Bastard Noise was there to ruin the night:flame:

Indestructible
12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Rob Zombie on the Gruesome Twosome tour with Alice Cooper. Didn't like it don't know why. Maybe an off night for Zombie.

Green Day- There were only two songs where they didn't stop for five minutes in the middle of each song to solo and tell the groud to cheer.

Disturbed/Megadeth/In Flames at the Edge Summer BBQ.. Their performance was off that night. I have seen Disturbed and Megadeth a few times prior to this show and I know they could have done better.

makethemsuffer12
12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, I really don't like power metal, but everyone on here loves them so I figured I'd check it out, since I'm always open to seeing different genres live. Noooooope. I was more than bored. First time I left before a band was done playing.

THEY'RE PROG METAL, NOOB. GAWWWWWW

But yeah, it must've been an off night or something. The first time I saw SX I only knew one song and that was one of the best shows I've ever been too.

Dextrimental
12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I have seen a few festival performances/support bands that were sub-par, but the only two I was really excited for was Slayer at Graspop 2010, total off day for them, but Slayer are a 50/50 band for good and bad performances anyway, and The Verve at Oxegen 2008, just a woeful live band, no energy and a bad setlist. I generally try to see some good in every show I go to, and generally, performances have been good, if the performances aren't good, the experience generally makes up for it, good company, fun crowd etc.

ravenheart
12-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Recently... L.A. Guns were awful.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, that Gruesome Twosome tour was quite an abortion... I blacked that one out of my head. hahaha Add that to my list as well.

slapguitarer
12-04-2011, 01:37 PM
System of a Down. Shitty seats and half of the set was off their two worst albums.

jd091
12-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Ceremony was pretty boring when I saw them. The crowd was super into them and went apeshit, but I thought their selection of songs was very boring.

Really? That sucks; I've always wanted to see them live.

Oceano was the worst band I've ever seen. And I'm not just saying that because they are a typical deathcore band (if you know me well, you know I don't mind generic deathcore). The guitars sounded out of tune and muddy, the vocalist sounded weak, and the drummer was sloppy. All around completely shitty sound. I can't believe their fans actually pay to see them.
Yeah, even being a fan of Deathcore I agree. Not all shitty Deathcore is like that (I Declare War were pretty good live IMO), but Oceano was just so unprofessional live.
THEY'RE PROG METAL, NOOB. GAWWWWWW

But yeah, it must've been an off night or something. The first time I saw SX I only knew one song and that was one of the best shows I've ever been too.

Old fat men with long hair singing in falsetto and wanking off on guitars with leather pants = power metal in my eyes, deal with it. :cool: Maybe it was an off night? I dunno, Garagemetal was there and loved it.

Triggz
12-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Nevermore was terrible when I saw them last year. Warrel was drunk off his ass.

mankvill
12-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Because of their absolute shitty fans, Trash Talk almost ruined the entire Envy show when I saw them last year.

metallicbrian666
12-04-2011, 02:23 PM
If the crowd didn't suck at the Magrudergrind/Mind Eraser/Noisear show it could've been a show of the year candidate.

jd091
12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
If the crowd didn't suck at the Magrudergrind/Mind Eraser/Noisear show it could've been a show of the year candidate.

The crowd didn't suck that bad, did it? I had a ton of fun at that show. I mean, there could have been more moshing, but it was still great.

metallicbrian666
12-04-2011, 02:31 PM
The crowd didn't suck that bad, did it? I had a ton of fun at that show. I mean, there could have been more moshing, but it was still great.
The crowd was dead for Noisear and didn't do anything until Magrudergrind, when the pit was overrun with backpack-wearing douches

ravenheart
12-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Not any real bad concerts but my biggest disappointment was Metallica (still the only show on the entire Death Magnetic tour to get a song of St. Anger :bouville:)

Not true.

http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=8887

jd091
12-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Nothing tops Symphony X for me, but some honorable mentions:

THEORY OF A DEADMAN:
Saw them on Rock on the Range 2010. Just... no. Terrible. Terrible. Boring, generic, and stupid. I even enjoyed Papa Roach and Drowning Pool live on the same day, which is really saying something. Slash was pretty terrible too earlier in the day, don't know why.

BANE:
I didn't watch all of them, either. Left after 45 minutes or so. They were alright, but a little too whiny hardcore I guess? I expected a little heavier show. It was fun, but not memorable. Don't see how they're so big. I mainly went to check out Defeater, who was supposed to open, but they didn't even play, so whatever. Dead End Path was the first band, and they were fucking AMAZING, so I got my money's worth. It was at Reggie's though, and they kept throwing people out who were trying to stagedive.

GOV'T MULE:
My dad took me to this concert, and we were in seats at the house of blues, and it's been the only time I've legitimately almost fell asleep in the middle of a show. Surprisingly bored by them, and really wasn't a fan of Warren's voice. I've seen some awesome concerts with my dad (Jeff Beck, Joe Satirani, Phish), but this was not one of them.

THE CHARIOT/VANNA:
Great band (the Chariot), awesome performance, but the Bottom Lounge stopped letting them stagedive and the energy level went down reeeeal fast. And they only played for like, 25 minutes in a headlining set. Really strange. All the opening bands sucked, too. Vanna was pretty fucking terrible. I guess it's a case of, "this show had potential to be incredible but it ended up being just mediocre so I was pretty bummed".

ASKING ALEXANDRIA:
Umm... crowd track. Yeah. It wasn't too terrible, honestly, just laughable. And that dude can't sing for shit.

CLOSE YOUR EYES:
Opened up for Terror/Trapped Under Ice. Sound was shitty and twice as loud as it needed to be. Vocalist was shitty. Nobody liked them.

And last but not least... *drumroll*

OBSCURA/SKELETONWITCH:
Okay, the bands were fucking great and the actual performance was amazing, but I went sick off my ass and just sat in the back near the bar trying not to throw up the entire time. :lol: So the concert sucked for me, but I'm glad I went. If that makes any sense.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=jd091;420835]

GOV'T MULE:
My dad took me to this concert, and we were in seats at the house of blues, and it's been the only time I've legitimately almost fell asleep in the middle of a show. Surprisingly bored by them, and really wasn't a fan of Warren's voice. I've seen some awesome concerts with my dad (Jeff Beck, Joe Satirani, Phish), but this was not one of them.

:eek: Dude.... Gov't Mule is the shit... Warren is the shit... Oh well, different strokes for different folks. :bouville:

Warren does have his off nights though, maybe that was the problem.

jd091
12-04-2011, 03:00 PM
:eek: Dude.... Gov't Mule is the shit... Warren is the shit... Oh well, different strokes for different folks. :bouville:

Warren does have his off nights though, maybe that was the problem.

Yeah, not that they're a bad band or anything. I just didn't enjoy them live. He's a great musician, no doubt.

ravenheart
12-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I've never seen Warren have an off night.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Me neither, but everybody does.

xStructualDefect
12-04-2011, 03:12 PM

Yeah I like sooome deathcore also but Oceano has got to be one of the worst bands I've ever seen. Their entire set sounded exactly the same. Felt like it was just one big breakdown.

And I gotta agree that Symphony X never disappoints. I was just starting to get into them when I saw them 3 years ago but I was blown away by their performance. They quickly became of my top favorite bands after that. And I'm not that big of a fan of prog metal to be honest.

Jochen
12-04-2011, 04:10 PM
The Confession/In This Moment (2007) - both opened for Megadeth in 2007. I had never heard of them before the show, so I had low expectations, and they were worse than I expected. In This Moment opened for Ozzy and Rob Zombie later in the year and they sucked at that show too.

36 Crazyfists (2008) - opened for Devildriver/Napalm Death. I'm pretty sure they played right before Napalm Death and I remember I could not stand them. The other openers weren't bad (In Vitro and Straight Line Stitch, or something), but 36 Crazyfists were just bad. They opened for Gojira/In Flames later in the year, same story.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (2006) - I LOVE Neil Young, and CSN, to a lesser extent. I was pretty excited to see them because I never thought I'd have the chance to see Neil Young, and I have since, but the ticket prices were outrageous. Anyways, Neil Young kicked ass, no surprise, but CS&N could not sing and harmonize well. It wasn't a bad show, but I did leave disappointed.

Arch Enemy - Gigantour 2006. At the time I didn't think Arch Enemy were that bad (this has since changed), so I was kind of looking forward to seeing them, but they weren't good.

Opeth (2011) - they were actually pretty good at Gigantour 2006, so I thought I'd see them on their most recent US tour, and they were really boring.

2 Cents (2011) - opened for Danzig. Their music was really bad and generic, and their performance was just stupid.

Zoaroaster (2009) - opened for Gojira, the singer/bassist looked haggard and half-dead, which I like, but they were really boring.

The Police (2008) - I saw one of the last shows on their reunion tour. I love the Police, and it was a really good show, they sounded great, but for the price of the ticket, and since it was their reunion/farewell tour, I was expecting more than a 90 minute set. THEY DIDN'T EVEN PLAY SYNCHRONICITY II!!!

Macabre (2011) - they were one of the openers at the Danzig Legacy show in Chicago, and since I've heard nothing but good things about them, I was expecting them to be good, but they sucked. Well, I'm pretty sure the singer/guitarist was dressed like Mario, so I'll respect them for that.

Destrophy (2009) - opened for Type O Negative on their last tour. They were really bad, they kind of reminded me of Trivium, except totally unbearable.

??? - I forgot their name, but they were the first opening band on Megadeth's 2009 US Endgame tour.

I'm sure there's more, but I'll leave it at this. For now...

adamclark52
12-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Since we're on the topic of shows that didn't live up to what you paid to see them, U2 this past summer cost me around $150, it took two years for me to get to see the show (thanks to Bonos injury) and the show was just flat. Bad set, terrible set closer, dead crowd.

It wasn't just me, I work with a guy who's seen U2 every time they've come to Toronto...period, and even got to see them a few times when they were starting up in Ireland back in the late-70's and he even said it was by far the worst U2 show he'd seen.

xStructualDefect
12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
A lot of people seem to hate 2 Cents. I saw them open for Static-X 4 years ago and I really enjoyed them. Haven't heard of them since though.

larvtard
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
A lot of people seem to hate 2 Cents. I saw them open for Static-X 4 years ago and I really enjoyed them. Haven't heard of them since though.

I think they just opened for Danzig and Devildriver last spring.

Maiden33
12-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, I can't believe someone actually said Symphony X. I've seen them live 4 times and loved all 4 shows. They're honestly one of my favorite "live" bands. All entertaining shows (especially if you're more towards Mike Romeo's side up front), and the band are tight as hell. Still doesn't disregard that it may have been an off-night though I guess.

And yeah, "I don't like power metal" doesn't really explain not liking Symphony X, they have a LOT more to offer and I know a lot of friends who love Symphony X and don't like power metal - and visa versa as well. Certainly they have stuff that leans VERY heavily to the power metal side (mostly on the older records when they were huge on the neoclassical stuff), but I think they're definitely more leaned towards the Prog Metal side. Don't wanna argue labels TOO much though.

For me, of bands I actually liked...
Kamelot and Sonata Arctica, especially SA. Bad sound, uninspired performance, bad setlist, bad vibe. Didn't help either of them that they were following great support bands, but nevertheless, each honestly really hurt my feeling about the band for a long time after the shows.

Also, I don't like to really count this, but Dark Empire. They didn't have vocalist Jens Carlsson, who is half of the appeal, and instead had some random fill-in dude who had no idea what he was doing. I also believe it was their 2nd show with a new drummer, and the venue was terrible. Overall it was just an awful set, but I don't really hold it against them, just REALLY bad circumstances.

larvtard
12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
jd, did you even listen to them before you saw the show, or just thought "hey this is a band a lot of people talk about so I may as well see them" without even listening to their music first? :lol:

MPF
12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Destrophy (2009) - opened for Type O Negative on their last tour. They were really bad, they kind of reminded me of Trivium, except totally unbearable.

Very funny almost related topic.

My old band, Shattered got offered to open for these guys in Eau Claire, Wisconsin while they were on a headlining. I told the booking agent, I just had to make sure the rest of the guys could make it that night. and I'd let him know in a half hour.

In that half hour, the tour was canceled.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Travis The Dragon
12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Not really a bad show, but when I saw Iron Maiden in 2000, they turned their sound up too loud and I could barely hear Bruce.

Judas Priest. They put on a super amazing performance, but didn't turn their sound up nearly loud enough.

Queensryche doing all of Mindcrime in 2005. Geoff's vocals were starting to go downhill so he either sang the higher parts an octave lower or had the audience do it. Also, they changed up parts of the songs to something completely different and kind of ruined the whole experience.

Unearth totally sucked when I saw them open for Dimmu Borgir. I had never heard them before, but I couldn't get into their music at all.

Both times I've seen HIM, Ville was a horrible frontman. He just stood there lifeless, barely singing into the mic and kind of brought the whole band down with him and sort of mumbled to himself between songs

Again, not a bad show, but when I saw Slayer and Megadeth, because I was on the far end and the fact that Slayer separates their guitars, I could only hear one of the guitars.

Maiden33
12-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Judas Priest. They put on a super amazing performance, but didn't turn their sound up nearly loud enough.

Queensryche doing all of Mindcrime in 2005. Geoff's vocals were starting to go downhill so he either sang the higher parts an octave lower or had the audience do it. Also, they changed up parts of the songs to something completely different and kind of ruined the whole experience.

Nonsense - Queensryche's Mindcrime performances are legendary, and EASILY the best type of Queensryche shows that can ever exist. Seriously, so what if Tate can't sing it like he used to? Mindcrime is one of the most vocally demanding albums ever made and even back when they made it he reportedly had to go through RIGOROUS preparation to be able to pull it off live - which, if you listen to Live Evolution, he never even REALLY did back then. Not like it is on the album. But so what? Seeing them perform that album live is a hell of a lot more important than whether or not Geoff Tate can hit all the high notes. One or two of the changes they made don't really do much for me (Electric Requiem and My Empty Room), but some of them are great (what they did with The Mission). Both of the '05 shows I saw where they did all of Mindcrime were outstanding shows if you ask me. However, Queensryche's OTHER performances however leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Travis The Dragon
12-04-2011, 08:21 PM
So, if Geoff was really horrible and couldn't hit any of the notes at all, it would still be worth it to see just because it's "legendary"? And the main reason he had to go through rigorous preperation to pull it off is because he ruined his vocals from smoking so that was his own fault. The entire performance didn't suck bad or anything. It was just the higher notes and chaning up certain parts of songs.

MPF
12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
So, if Geoff was really horrible and couldn't hit any of the notes at all, it would still be worth it to see just because it's "legendary"? And the main reason he had to go through rigorous preperation to pull it off is because he ruined his vocals from smoking so that was his own fault. The entire performance didn't suck bad or anything. It was just the higher notes and chaning up certain parts of songs.

He was 47-48 at the time. You try hitting notes from your 20s when you are that age. If the rest of the show was great, and the high notes weren't there. Was it really that bad?

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Gotta add another one:

Megadeth - Mayhem Fest 2011 Mansfield, MA

Dave sounded like shit, could barely hear the vocals, awful setlist, noone in the band played w/ any energy. Overall just bad. Their Big 4 performance was much better.

jhdeity
12-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Nonsense - Queensryche's Mindcrime performances are legendary, and EASILY the best type of Queensryche shows that can ever exist. Seriously, so what if Tate can't sing it like he used to? Mindcrime is one of the most vocally demanding albums ever made and even back when they made it he reportedly had to go through RIGOROUS preparation to be able to pull it off live - which, if you listen to Live Evolution, he never even REALLY did back then. Not like it is on the album. But so what? Seeing them perform that album live is a hell of a lot more important than whether or not Geoff Tate can hit all the high notes. One or two of the changes they made don't really do much for me (Electric Requiem and My Empty Room), but some of them are great (what they did with The Mission). Both of the '05 shows I saw where they did all of Mindcrime were outstanding shows if you ask me. However, Queensryche's OTHER performances however leave a lot to be desired in my opinion.

Actually the Rage for Order and Warning tours slayed Mindcrime. Granted I only saw Mindcrime when they opened for Metaliica who completly blew QR off the stage but I get your overall point. Tate in his prime on those early tours was one of the 3 best live singers I've ever heard.

Maiden33
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
So, if Geoff was really horrible and couldn't hit any of the notes at all, it would still be worth it to see just because it's "legendary"?

That's not what I meant and you know it. Obviously if Tate came out drunk and sang off-key the whole night, it wouldn't have been a good show, but he didn't. He still did all the onstage bits with the acting and props and whatnot, all while nailing at least 85% of the vocals. When you consider how little of a performance those extreme high notes are (less than 5%), just the fact that they're not there (and in most cases, just removed or altered, rather than failed attempts). I wasn't saying "vocals are irrelevant as long as the rest of the show is good" - I was saying that vocals are only one facet of a performance, and just because the singer has chosen to alter some of their melodies or high notes for their aging voice does NOT make it a bad performance at all to me.

Maiden33
12-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Actually the Rage for Order and Warning tours slayed Mindcrime. Granted I only saw Mindcrime when they opened for Metaliica who completly blew QR off the stage but I get your overall point. Tate in his prime on those early tours was one of the 3 best live singers I've ever heard.

I never saw any of those original tours being that I'm only 21, haha. I only got into Queensryche in early 2004, so I've only seen tours from them to present. I just meant that at this point in their career, a Mindcrime show is the best they have to offer because of the theatrics involved, and the obvious amazing quality of the album and its songs themselves. It leaves little room for them playing songs no one cares about, or just passively wandering through their catalog with a lackluster approach, like 1 or 2 performances I've seen.

The Warning and Rage For Order material is incredible (The Warning is a top 20 all-time album for me, though Mindcrime is #1) - but I've seen Warning material live in the past 7 years and frankly... meh. It's just not as good as it should be, and Tate's not the only reason.

jhdeity
12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I never saw any of those original tours being that I'm only 21, haha. I only got into Queensryche in early 2004, so I've only seen tours from them to present. I just meant that at this point in their career, a Mindcrime show is the best they have to offer because of the theatrics involved, and the obvious amazing quality of the album and its songs themselves. It leaves little room for them playing songs no one cares about, or just passively wandering through their catalog with a lackluster approach, like 1 or 2 performances I've seen.

The Warning and Rage For Order material is incredible (The Warning is a top 20 all-time album for me, though Mindcrime is #1) - but I've seen Warning material live in the past 7 years and frankly... meh. It's just not as good as it should be, and Tate's not the only reason.

I can totally agree with that. My buddy who is a guitarist and a huge QR fan said when Chris DeGarmo left it would really hurt them and I wasn't sure but I think he was right.

I do want to search youtube and bootleg sites for that recent show in NY when they played all of Rage for Order. I've only heard Surgical Strike live twice and both times it blew me away. My 2nd favorite live QR song next to Child of Fire which Tate sang masterfully the 1st time I saw them.

Travis The Dragon
12-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I did say that the entire performance did not suck. Also, it wasn't because of his age. It was because he smokes. And I guess despite how much smoking did ruin his voice, he did a pretty damn good job. Look at Bruce Dickinson and Dio for example. They are/were very amazing singers for their ages.

Also, I really didn't like the changes in the songs themselves that they made. They confused me at times because they did stuff that wasn't even on the original recording or would even put original parts in different places. For example, the part before I Don't Believe In Love that goes "I know you did it. Why did you do it" was moved to the beginning of Breaking The Silence. It's not super annoying, but I don't know why they couldn't have just kept everything the way it originally was.

Maiden33
12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
I did say that the entire performance did not suck. Also, it wasn't because of his age. It was because he smokes. Look at Bruce Dickinson and Dio for example. They are/were very amazing singers for their ages.

I agree that smoking does terrible things to your voice in MOST cases, but Dio was also a big pot-smoker (annoying to me, but I know it's true), so it's not like he had the world's cleanest lungs. That being said, Dio (though I prefer him to Tate myself) is NOT the same kind of singer that Tate is (was, I guess). As amazing as Ronnie was, he was never doing the sort of vocal gymnastics that Tate became known for in the 80's. Five+ octave ranges do not grow on trees, and Dio didn't have one. Tate in his prime had a range and power that could put most professionally trained male opera singers to shame.

Also, I agree that Bruce is a good example of an old singer who sounds good live now (especially from like 2008-present), but that's partially because he's taken a slightly different approach to the way he sings certain melodies/phrases, and also doesn't sing some of the same live notes that he used to, or in the same way.

...Furthermore, Maiden doesn't tour nearly as much as Queensryche does. I've seen Queensryche 5 times in the past 7 years... and I've passed on 3 or 4 OTHER opportunities, all on different tours. They tour ALL the fucking time when they're not in the studio. It's a pretty established fact that touring on that level over the years murders your voice. Why do you think Bruce's voice was at it's live worst when Maiden was a few years into their prime?

jd091
12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
jd, did you even listen to them before you saw the show, or just thought "hey this is a band a lot of people talk about so I may as well see them" without even listening to their music first? :lol:

I had heard a couple SX songs before and kinda liked it, but it was mainly everyone saying they were good.

Travis The Dragon
12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I totally agree with what all you have to say there Maiden33. It's really too bad that Tate did keep smoking because his voice has only gone downhill since 2005. :( And yes, I know touring as much as they do has an effect on that as well, but when you add smoking to the equation, then it's much worse.

jhdeity
12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Speaking of guys with terrible voices, my worst show ever was Megadeth 2 years ago. Dave couldn't sing at all then blamed the soundman and stormed off stage after 3 songs. I know there's more to the story but he was a total dickhead that night PMS'ing all over the place and pulled an Axl Rose. By far the worst $50 I've ever spent on a concert ticket even though Testament killed it for 9 songs

Travis The Dragon
12-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Speaking of guys with terrible voices, my worst show ever was Megadeth 2 years ago. Dave couldn't sing at all then blamed the soundman and stormed off stage after 3 songs. I know there's more to the story but he was a total dickhead that night PMS'ing all over the place and pulled an Axl Rose. By far the worst $50 I've ever spent on a concert ticket even though Testament killed it for 9 songs

I couldn't believe he made it through the entire show without complaining once the last time I saw them.

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM

He walked off after 3 songs? What was the exact date?

Sepultura69
12-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Meh, Haven't been to many shitty shows but if I had to name the one and only ones...

It would definitely be Slayer/megadeth/Anthrax at the Gibson in october/2010. Probably the worst Metal show I have ever attended. Slayer sucked big time that night. O-MEGA sloppy and they looked like they just wanted to GTF off the stage, sucks too because you'd think they would give it their all, push a 110%, ya know, with it being the last show, last date of the tour before they all go on there fat vacations and chill around. This was also the very last show jeff played before getting that nasty virus on his arm and being MIA in the band. He's been out for a year now:eyes:

Can't really think of any other shows. Having to go through Bullet For My Valentine and Killswitch Engage at Mayhem Fest 2009 was pretty awfull too. :eyes:

That's all i can think of. :hecho:

jhdeity
12-05-2011, 07:11 AM
He walked off after 3 songs? What was the exact date?

It was the night before St. Patrick's day 2010. They delayed coming out 2 hours after Testament finished. Dave came out and bitched and complained then some idiot threw a water bottle that hit the soundboard and he stormed off stage with his middle finger up. Total Axl shit. 45 min later he came out and said the show was cancelled and for us to go home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DWNEk80DIw

They did play again the next night but less than half of the people went back. St. Patrick's Day in Baltimore smokes a Megadave concert anyday. Especially since his voice was total shit on that tour.

Jochen
12-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Very funny almost related topic.

My old band, Shattered got offered to open for these guys in Eau Claire, Wisconsin while they were on a headlining. I told the booking agent, I just had to make sure the rest of the guys could make it that night. and I'd let him know in a half hour.

In that half hour, the tour was canceled.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lol. I'm very surprised they tried to go on a headlining tour. I'd never heard of these guys or seen them on ANY tour before the Type O one, but they mentioned opening for Disturbed. Plus they were getting mocked during their set.

Christen
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Never really been to a show that was all around bad. I try my best to only pick shows I like so I don't waste my money. The worst band I've ever seen though was Job For A Cowboy on the 2008 Gigantour. Just plain terrible.

MPF
12-06-2011, 12:36 AM
There was this shitty Metallica show on December 5th, 2011 where they didn't play that Enter Sandman song.

FUCK YOU METALLICA!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

jd091
12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
There was this shitty Metallica show on December 5th, 2011 where they didn't play that Enter Sandman song.

FUCK YOU METALLICA!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That sounds like the best Metallica show :lol:

adamclark52
12-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I forgot to mention Ministry in 2008. I have nothing against their final three albums, but to only play songs from those three? I think they may have played two older songs as encores but I had to leave and missed them.

hellawaits77ny
12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
That sounds like the best Metallica show :lol:

LOL. I actually like Enter Sandman.

OF COURSE, I had to be at the 30th Anniversary show where Nothing Else Matters was played :flame::flame:

OraclesofAgony
12-18-2011, 09:21 PM
LOL. I actually like Enter Sandman.

OF COURSE, I had to be at the 30th Anniversary show where Nothing Else Matters was played :flame::flame:

Enter Sandman is alright. The fact that it is vastly overplayed and is the go-to song for most people when every song on their first 4 albums utterly destroys it makes me hate it though.

hellawaits77ny
12-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Enter Sandman is alright. The fact that it is vastly overplayed and is the go-to song for most people when every song on their first 4 albums utterly destroys it makes me hate it though.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I hate at a normal Metallica show when a classic like 'Ride The Lightning' or 'Battery' is played, and 2 people are moving. Then fucking Sad But True starts. And the place goes nuts. Terrible.

And people wonder why Metallica plays Europe so much more than North America.

OraclesofAgony
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I've never been to a show where the band(s) I was going to see didn't deliver, luckily. I've been to a lot of shows where I've had to sit through shitty deathcore bands though before I got see to see the bands I went for.

One of the worst was the San Diego Summer Slaughter this year, because not only did I have to sit through the deathcore bands, but the crowd was particularly horrible for that show. The LA Summer Slaughter was much better in terms of the crowd.

llama lom
12-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Only bad performances I can remember are from Job for a Cowboy (SS) and the local opener for Korpiklaani a few weeks ago. I went into the "pit" area for JFAC and stood there for a one minute and honestly couldn't get into them, even though I thoroughly enjoy them.

The local band was called Panzer I think. You could tell this was there first show because everything that could have gone wrong for them, did. Guitars weren't mixed properly (it was bad, even for the opener), drummer dropped a stick and didn't recover for a good five seconds, one guitarist had his sound drop out because the bassist was trying to get the settings back after changing them for the solo. Speaking of which, the bassist did some like stupid "interpretive dance" thing during an intro to one of their songs. He looked like a dumbass. The worst part was that one of the guitarist's parents were right in front of me. I felt kind of bad for them.

Epidemic Reign
12-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Severed Savior / Decrepit Birth in 2004.

One of the guitarists from Decrepit Birth busted a string about two-thirds of the way through their set. He got frustrated, threw his guitar on the floor and left the stage. The rest of the band continued without him. Other than that, they performed great that night.

That in itself wasn't enough to ruin the show for me, but DB's frontman announced when their set was finished that Severed Savior had broken down in New Mexico and possibly wouldn't make it. So everybody hung around waiting for a couple of hours, until the guy from DB finally told us there was no way they were going to show.

That's really the only show I've been to that was ultimately disappointing.

treghet
12-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Severed Savior / Decrepit Birth in 2004.

One of the guitarists from Decrepit Birth busted a string about two-thirds of the way through their set. He got frustrated, threw his guitar on the floor and left the stage. The rest of the band continued without him. Other than that, they performed great that night.

That in itself wasn't enough to ruin the show for me, but DB's frontman announced when their set was finished that Severed Savior had broken down in New Mexico and possibly wouldn't make it. So everybody hung around waiting for a couple of hours, until the guy from DB finally told us there was no way they were going to show.

That's really the only show I've been to that was ultimately disappointing.

Now that sucks. :(

Also, who the hell throws their guitar and walks off stage because of a broken string? :lol: It seriously sounds like something Dave Mustaine would do.

OraclesofAgony
12-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Now that sucks. :(

Also, who the hell throws their guitar and walks off stage because of a broken string? :lol: It seriously sounds like something Dave Mustaine would do.

Remember that Grave show? Did you notice that the Bassist only had 3 strings? :lol: I'm assuming one of them broke.

treghet
12-18-2011, 10:34 PM
I didn't even notice that!

OraclesofAgony
12-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I didn't even notice that!

Yeah, I have no idea whether he only uses three or if the bottom one broke. But he only had the top three strings.