PDA

View Full Version : MPF's Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy Look At 2011

MPF
12-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Ok maybe not so much sexy as all the women that are here are taken or left. :lol:

I'm doing this differently then my last 2 years of playing Itunes Shuffle Roulette. I have over 20 GB of 2011 music, so reviewing all the albums...FUCK THAT! If I didn't have my radio show, I proably would have the time. but as long as I stay somewhat good at what I do. I won't have to worry about that.

I'm going to start this off with my 7 most disappointing albums of 2011. When I say Disappointing, I don't mean an album that anyone would have guessed would suck like Lulu or Dedicated To Chaos. These actually required listening knowledge to know it was going to suck. These 7 are not in any particular order, except for what order they first popped in my head:

As for disappointing albums, and by that I mean albums that I was hoping would be good and turned to shit, not ones that I knew were already going to be bad (Lulu, Dedicated To Chaos for example)

THE 7 MOST DISAPPOINTING ALBUMS OF 2011

1.) The Haunted: Unseen

One of the finest Swedish Metal bands turned into a Nickelback/Five Finger Donkey Punch tribute band. So sad, so pathetic. There is ONE good song on the album, The City. The rest are just monkey balls. What happened to these guys? They call this experimental. I call it failed attempt at selling out.

2.) Morbid Angel: Illud Divinum Insanus

There were a couple great songs on this, but the rest....what the fuck? I don't wanna hear Dubstep and Industrial music in my classic Death Metal. And that that its not even good Industrial and well dubstep sucks in general. There of course is some killer tracks on here. Nevermore is a brutal song that just kicks ass. But half of the album is just a giant WHAT THE FUCK???

3.) Children Of Bodom- Relentless Reckless Forever

Another band that has been going downhill for a very long time. I played this album once before I never touched it again. I even left during their their headlining set in July....to be fair I was hanging out with Devin Townsend during their set. but my point still stands. :D My guitarist said it best. 'The new COB is an album so that Alexi and Co. can be drunk on stage and still play." I couldn't agree more.

4.) Protest The Hero- Scurrilous

I think I just grew out of these guys. When Kezia came out I was jizzing all over the place about these guys. Since then, It's been really "Meh". Hell I even went to see them Wednesday night (And again to be fair I was really there to see Scale The Summit and Last Chance To Reason* but live, everyone else was going apeshit for them. I was left unimpressed. It just seems like more of the same,, more poppy and less interesting.

5.) Altar Of Plagues- Mammal

*I know this is one I'll get shit for*

Altar Of Plagues is one of the best Post/Black metal bands in existence. so why is this in this category? Because Mammal really doesn't go anywhere. There's no real dynamics or movements, it all just seems to be one boring song spread over 4 tracks. Yes there is a couple moments that are cool, and if this was another EP, it would be phenomenal, but they made this WAAAAAY too long, and it's just simply...boring.

6.) Explosions In The Sky- Take Care, Take Care, Take Care

*Read Number 5, and replace Altar Of Plagues with Explosions In The Sky and remove Black Metal segment*

7.) This Will Destroy You- Tunnel Blanket

*Read Number 6*

All other albums I have checked out, I either listened to it once and never listened again because it sucked, heard it once because I was forced to because of the radio show then never again, or I actually liked and loved.

More coming soon, probably sometime today.

brutal_descent
12-03-2011, 02:26 AM
5.) Alter Of Plagues- Mammal

Alter Of Plagues is one of the best Post/Black metal bands in existence. so why is this in this category? Because Mammal really doesn't go anywhere. There's no real dynamics or movements, it all just seems to be one boring song spread over 4 tracks. Yes there is a couple moments that are cool, and if this was another EP, it would be phenomenal, but they made this WAAAAAY too long, and it's just simply...boring.

If you do get shit for this, it'll be because you spelled Altar wrong ;)

MPF
12-03-2011, 02:29 AM
If you do get shit for this, it'll be because you spelled Altar wrong ;)

Not anymore I'm not.

:D:D:D

Seventhzealot
12-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Agree with #1,#2 and #3.

Strongly disagree with #5 ;)

Epidemic Reign
12-03-2011, 07:04 AM

Another band that has been going downhill for a very long time. I played this album once before I never touched it again. I even left during their their headlining set in July....to be fair I was hanging out with Devin Townsend during their set. but my point still stands. :D My guitarist said it best. 'The new COB is an album so that Alexi and Co. can be drunk on stage and still play." I couldn't agree more.

I actually thought it was their best album since Hate Crew Deathroll, though there's still a pretty huge gap in quality between the two.

BloodoftheKings
12-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I definitely agree about the new Bodom. I only listened to it in it's entirety once and when I saw them with Devin Townsend I barely payed attention to them.

slapguitarer
12-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I agree with you on Altar of Plagues

But not on Scurrilous.

mastodon421
12-03-2011, 11:56 AM
I actually thought it was their best album since Hate Crew Deathroll, though there's still a pretty huge gap in quality between the two.

This. The new Bodom was my biggest pleasant surprise of the year.

MPF
12-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Part 2: The Top 50 of 2011, Exhibit A: 55-21

I'll be doing 55-21 in small segments, about maybe 5 at a time. I'm doing this iTunes Shuffle Roulette style.

If you didn't follow my Year In Review Threads from the last 2 years. What I do is I put albums in a iTunes Playlist, click random, then hit play. Then start reviewing every album that is played. These are those 35 albums that would make up the latter part of my Top 55 list, just in Random order. I'm going to place them in countdown style, but only because it makes it look better, not because this is the order of how I like them. That's what the Top 20 is for.

I repeat this is not the running order of albums 55 through 21. Just what is in Random order from iTunes. Just putting it in countdown order to look more professional.

Lets begin Countdown Style. It's time to get sexy:

55.) Obscura- Omnivium

What can you say about Obscura what Obscura can't do on their own? They are one of the best Progressive Death Metal bands going right now. The perfect combination of Death, Morbid Angel, Opeth, and Dream Theater *Probably in that order for influences* Omnivium is their best album to date. All the Prog Death Metal on this album makes me jump for joy. And it doesn't get boring as many of these style albums seem to do from time to time. Seeing these guys live twice yer also helped a lot (once headlining, once opening for Children of Bodom) Such killer music. I'm hoping by the time of their next album that they will be at the top of the Prog Death Metal gambit. They deserve it.

54.) ICS Vortex- Storm Seeker

The greatest singer in Black Metal....that doesn't sing in the style of Black Metal. His clean vocals are unstoppable in Black Metal, and proving on his solo album, Storm Rider, he is proggy as all hell, with a very Devin Townsend sense of humor to him. This very epic sounding album combines the best of what ICS Vortex is known for. I honestly wouldn't mind if he quit Black Metal all together and just made these style albums. Its so damn good.

53.) Evergrey- Glorious Collision

Evergrey is back in top form after 2 albums that, while still were Evergrey, just didn't fit right with me. They are still progressing their sound instead of keeping the traditional Inner Circle, In Search Of Truth, Recreation Day style. Its more modern sounding in the Swedish Progressive Power Metal style, but it's still very much Evergrey. The Phantom Letters is probably one of the top 5 songs ever written by the band. Overall, it's just a killer album. I hope Evergrey keeps being this strong.

52.) Alestorm- Back Through Time

The song Scrapping The Barrel, basically says everything about this album and band altogether. Everyone thinks Running Wild did this already and better back in '84. SCREW THAT! I love Running Wild, but Alestorm kicks just as much ass, if not more. Back Through Time is their most diverse album running all over they can in the world of Power/Pirate Metal, even Black Metal in the song Death Throes of The Terrorsquid. Their playing and songwriting and lyrics are getting better with each album. It is a gimmick? Of course it is! But who really cares as long as the music behind it is worth checking out and enjoying? Back Through Time is the best example of this.

51.) Battle Circus- Battle Circus

The band that Muse could have been if they kept getting better with Absolution, instead of just sucking. Battle Circus sadly broke up this year, not long after releasing this, their 2nd album, after just moving to the States. Bad timing eh? Battle Circus is a great Progressive Rock band that takes all of what Muse was known for being cool for, adding some double bass from time to time, better musicianship and going even more abstract. It is a phenomenal album from start to finish. This will not be a known album sadly, especially they never even had a chance to tour for it in any capacity. But this will be one of my favorite underground albums of 2011.

*Coming up later tonight....50-46*

Seventhzealot
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
[B]55.) Obscura- Omnivium

What can you say about Obscura what Obscura can't do on their own? They are one of the best Progressive Death Metal bands going right now. The perfect combination of Death, Morbid Angel, Opeth, and Dream Theater *Probably in that order for influences* Omnivium is their best album to date. All the Prog Death Metal on this album makes me jump for joy. And it doesn't get boring as many of these style albums seem to do from time to time. Seeing these guys live twice yer also helped a lot (once headlining, once opening for Children of Bodom) Such killer music. I'm hoping by the time of their next album that they will be at the top of the Prog Death Metal gambit. They deserve it.

I loved this album but I still like 'Cosmogenesis' more though I have to say this is far more technical. It's going to be ranked pretty high in my list I'd think.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-03-2011, 03:41 PM
*sighs*

The whole calling everything electronic Dubstep thing around here is really gonna get on my nerves.... lol

MPF
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I loved this album but I still like 'Cosmogenesis' more though I have to say this is far more technical. It's going to be ranked pretty high in my list I'd think.

It's in my top 25 for sure. Just happened to be the first one to pop up on random.

I love Cosmogenesis, It's the first album that I bought from Obscura, but Omnivium captures my interest even more.

Seventhzealot
12-03-2011, 03:49 PM
It's in my top 25 for sure. Just happened to be the first one to pop up on random.

I love Cosmogenesis, It's the first album that I bought from Obscura, but Omnivium captures my interest even more.

Same. Cosmogenesis was the first album I listened to from them and maybe that raised the bar of expectations too high for me. Nevertheless this is a very good album.

Don't you think the bass was more prominent in Cosmogenesis than Omnivium though? It'll be interesting to see how their next album goes with Linus on bass after the departure of JPT.

treghet
12-03-2011, 03:52 PM

I thought "Shovel Knockout" and "Was It Worth It?" were catchy, but the rest of the album blows. I wasn't expecting much though, as Alexi has said many times that he doesn't really care about the old stuff and will never write anything like it again.

300%_Density
12-03-2011, 03:55 PM
54.) ICS Vortex- Storm Seeker

The greatest singer in Black Metal....that doesn't sing in the style of Black Metal. His clean vocals are unstoppable in Black Metal, and proving on his solo album, Storm Rider, he is proggy as all hell, with a very Devin Townsend sense of humor to him. This very epic sounding album combines the best of what ICS Vortex is known for. I honestly wouldn't mind if he quit Black Metal all together and just made these style albums. Its so damn good.

Absolutely love this album!!!!!!! It definitely made my year end list. One of the best and most distinctive voices in metal.

:rocker:

MPF
12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
*sighs*

The whole calling everything electronic Dubstep thing around here is really gonna get on my nerves.... lol

Oooooh our first disagreement.

Trust me man, as a guy who works at a radio station with the head guy, who constantly gives me shit for not liking all the different styles of Electronic music. I know the difference between Electronic Music, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, Chill, Electronica, remix, and all the different jive.

But there is dubstep in the new Morbid Angel album.

Same. Cosmogenesis was the first album I listened to from them and maybe that raised the bar of expectations too high for me. Nevertheless this is a very good album.

Don't you think the bass was more prominent in Cosmogenesis than Omnivium though? It'll be interesting to see how their next album goes with Linus on bass after the departure of JPT.

Having only seen Linus with Obscura, In a live setting Linus is one of the loudest guys on stage. with good reason. Cosmogenesis was definitely more of a bass driven album. Omnivium was more of a band focused album. I think that might be why i dig it more.

I thought "Shovel Knockout" was a good song, but the rest of the album blows. I wasn't expecting much though, as Alexi has said many times that he doesn't really care about the old stuff and will never write anything like it again.

It's like I said in the review, it sounds like he wrote it so he can be shitfaced on stage and still play right. I'll still keep checking COB out, but I have no hopes left in the band. Maybe Alexi will get his head out of his ass and realize the music comes first on the next album?

MPF
12-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Absolutely love this album!!!!!!! It definitely made my year end list. One of the best and most distinctive voices in metal.

Same here man. Top 30 album for me, if not higher up on the list.

ICS Vortex is one of my favorite singers of all time.I think in Black Metal he is soooooo underused in the bands he's in. This album proves how badass he makes ever band he's apart of.

larvtard
12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
*sighs*

Man, I don't understand you. It's great to like stuff other than metal. We're all open-minded here. But pretty much your first post here established that you don't even like metal that much anymore. Why join here, then?

Nevertheless, I agree with your complaint. The new Morbid Angel album isn't even remotely dubstep.

MPF
12-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Man, I don't understand you. It's great to like stuff other than metal. We're all open-minded here. But pretty much your first post here established that you don't even like metal that much anymore. Why join here, then?

Nevertheless, I agree with your complaint. The new Morbid Angel album isn't even remotely dubstep.

I take it you didn't hear the remixes yet?

larvtard
12-03-2011, 04:15 PM
I take it you didn't hear the remixes yet?

No, but you weren't talking about the remixes.

MPF
12-03-2011, 04:20 PM
No, but you weren't talking about the remixes.

I count it as the same since it's basically the same album they are re-releasing. :tongue:

illuminatus917
12-03-2011, 05:56 PM
5.) Altar Of Plagues- Mammal

Altar Of Plagues is one of the best Post/Black metal bands in existence. so why is this in this category? Because Mammal really doesn't go anywhere. There's no real dynamics or movements, it all just seems to be one boring song spread over 4 tracks. Yes there is a couple moments that are cool, and if this was another EP, it would be phenomenal, but they made this WAAAAAY too long, and it's just simply...boring.

100% agreed. I though it was incredibly weak, and overrated. Like Krallice. And Deafheaven to a lesser extent.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I'll have to give it a listen. I just figured if they added electronic stuff it would be more ambient kinda shit. Dubstep doesn't really surprise me considering it shares numerous similarities with metal.

So no! We haven't had a disagreement, I'm just not as informed on the new Morbid as I should be!

hahaha

MPF
12-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Haha, it's all good man.

I don't mind Electronic style music being in Metal, if it's done right. But it has to be that...done right.

*Edit* I'll do the next part of the countdown tomorrow when i wake up. Too tired to think that hard tonight, haha*

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Very cool list. I totally agree w/ your #1 + #2 disappointments. I knew MA's has been much discusses here, so no point in going further. But The Haunted: Dude, what happened!!!

MPF
12-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Very cool list. I totally agree w/ your #1 + #2 disappointments. I knew MA's has been much discusses here, so no point in going further. But The Haunted: Dude, what happened!!!

I wish I knew. The Haunted was so fucking amazing back in the day, their last good album was The Dead Eye. Versus was about half good, but Unseen....just wretched.

hellawaits77ny
12-04-2011, 12:51 AM
I wish I knew. The Haunted was so fucking amazing back in the day, their last good album was The Dead Eye. Versus was about half good, but Unseen....just wretched.

I love The Dead Eye. The Medication is one of my all time favorite TH tunes. rEVOLEr is probably my favorite, and Made Me Do It is a good one, too.

Truth be told, I haven't listened to all of Unseen. The 2 singles and the 2-3 other songs they streamed were so bad, I couldn't even bring myself to DL it, or even check it out on YT.

MPF
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
I love The Dead Eye. The Medication is one of my all time favorite TH tunes. rEVOLEr is probably my favorite, and Made Me Do It is a good one, too.

Truth be told, I haven't listened to all of Unseen. The 2 singles and the 2-3 other songs they streamed were so bad, I couldn't even bring myself to DL it, or even check it out on YT.

Like in the review, the song, The City is actually good. The rest sucks and sounds like the 2 singles and other songs you heard.

MPF
12-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Part 2: 50-40, Making up for not doing this part last night:

*Once again I must repeat, this is not running order of albums 55-21, just the order of iTunes on Random

50.) Animals As Leaders- Weightless

Animals As Leaders debut, self titled album is flawless. Weightless is perfection. When I first heard this album it still perfectly describes it. It's as if Tosin joined Cloudkicker. This isn't the in your face shredder album with short interludes that the self titled album was. This is much more beautiful, Melodic and overall better songwriting. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of the debut. When Djent inevitable dies out. AAL will keep going because they know how to change for the better and not sound like every other band that attempts to copy them. This album again is perfection.

49.) Thomas Giles- Pulse

One of the most unexpected albums on the list. As a huge Between The Buried And Me fan, this album is almost the antithesis of every BTBAM album. Electronic, Progressive Rock, Pop, it's very singer/songwriter, but it is a killer album. Sleep Shake is one of the best songs Thomas Giles has ever written in any project he's been a part of. For anyone who doesn't dig BTBAM, or for Metal fans that needs something heavy but different, Pulse is the album for you.

48.) UneXpect- Fables Of The Sleepless Empire

UnXpect got their biggest credibility for being a supporting band in the Euro version of Progressive Nation 2009 with Dream Theater, Opeth and Bigelf. The best way to describe UneXpect is basically taking a female Mike Patton, and creating Prog Metal. Fables is their most....commercial album. If you listen to their previous work, you'll understand what I mean by that. This album is still fucked up as all hell. But it's very accessible, poppy and catchy, all while still being the UneXpect that people have come to know and love. There isn't too much Female Fronted Metal I listen to, but these guys are spectacular.

47.) dredg- Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

About 98% of all dredg fans hate this album, or after time realized it's an ok album. When I first heard dredg was going to make this kind of album filled with Dark Pop songs. I was scared shitless. but once I listened to it with an open mind. It became one of my favorite non-metal albums of the year. Don't expect the Prog greatness of their past 3 albums on this. It's a short, sweet Pop Rock album. That's all I expected from these guys. They know what they doing. Their greatness of killer Prog rock will be back on the next album I can feel it.

46.) Last Chance To Reason- Level 2

Last Chance To reason is one of my favorite discoveries of the year. Their first album Level 1, is a more Deathcore style album that, while I do dig, didn't really capture my interest. Then they released Level 2 this year. A Progressive Death Metal masterpiece. Combining the best of Cynic, Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, video games, and Classic Prog all in one album.having seen these guys twice in a 3 week span, made me even more of a fan. Hanging out with the guys after both shows made me a lifetime supporter. From what I understand, Level 3 is going to be even better. I can't wait to hear it. I will also be interviewing these guys sometime early next year. If you haven't yet, and want to hear some Killer Progressive FUCKING Metal, check out Last Chance To Reason!

45.) Machine Head- Unto The Locusts

It's amazing how Machine Head can put out 2 killer albums, then 2 fantastically shitty albums, then 3 perfect albums in a row. Unto The Locusts is what happens when you make a shorter, less drawn out version of The Blackening. It was the right move. Killer Groove Metal mixed with some catchy tunes and even a Rush cover (Witch Hunt). Besides having Roadrunner pick out their opening bands for their headlining tours, these guys are doing no wrong. This album is just a killer metal album.

44.) Long Distance Calling- Long Distance Calling

To be completely honest, I'm still bummed about this album. 2009's Avoid The Light is the perfect Progressive Post Metal album. the S/T album is more of a Instrumental Metal album. But that said, it's still better then almost all other bands that like to experiment. The songs are still memorable and very cool to listen to. and features Armored Saint's John Bush on the only song with vocals, Middleville. If you need a kickass instrumental Metal album that's not Djenty in any sense of the onomatopoeia. Check this out...then immediately pick up the album, Avoid The Light.

43.) World Under Blood- Tactical

I have been waiting since 2006 for this album to FINALLY be released. and it didn't disappoint at all. This is MELODIC Death Metal in every sense of the term. CKY's Derron Miller can do no wrong in any project he does. This is a killer album of some of the best Death Metal on the planet. While it is very, VERY, Melodic, that's what makes it so perfect. Also their covers of Megadeth and Malevolent Creation is just badass. I really hope the next album won't take another 6 years to make.

42.) Vektor- Outer Isolation

One of the best Progressive Thrash bands around, right along side Revocation. While I'm still new to the band (having only discovered them back in January with 2009's Black Future) I dare say Outer Isolation destroys it. It's thrashy, it's proggy, the vocals are very Death, early Slayer (The high pitch screams) inspired. the music is the great combination of influences that other bands should take notice of so they can become better bands. These guys are going to be getting bigger and better. Check them out now, while they are still the band in your back pocket.

41.) Amon Amarth- Sutur Rising

The AC/DC of Viking Metal have returned. Yews you won't hear anything that you haven't heard on their previous albums, but does that really matter? It's Heavy, It's Brutal, It's Melodic, It's Epic. That's all I want from Amon Amarth. Their cover of System Of A Down's Aerials is also a welcomed touch (The first Amon Amarth song with real clean vocals) I gotta give them credits, this band proves that sticking to your first roots, isn't always a bad thing. It's a kickass album.

40.) Wormrot- Dirge

I don't listen to much Grindcore, but when I do....it better knock the shit out of me. That's what Wormrot does. Arguably one of the greatest Grindcore albums ever written. and very, very short (17 minutes, it's not an EP, it's an album). And for me it's the perfect length. I can only go about 20-25 minutes of hearing Grindcore before I gotta switch it to something else, so this works perfectly. If you are new to Grindcore, but don't want to check out the classic Grindcore albums just yet. Check out Dirge from Wormrot. The only way you could ever be disappointed is if you hated the genre to begin with.

*Coming up soon 39-30*

MPF
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I take it no one likes the albums mentioned above? haha I thought it was pretty diverse.

illuminatus917
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
No one likes any of mine either.

MPF
12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
To be fair, the whole Grand Wazoo debacle won the night. :lol:

Maiden33
12-04-2011, 07:54 PM
The listing of Evergrey in a position like that saddens me.

MPF
12-04-2011, 07:57 PM

It's not actually number 53. It's actually in my top 25.

Like I've been bolding on every post of the album, number 55-21 are not in order. I spent weeks making my top 20, I didn't want to make those hard of choices for the rest of the albums. So I took part of what I did the last 2 years, and Randomized albums 21-55 and listing them in countdown order. Evergrey was the 3rd album to pop up.

Yeah I admit it's confusing, but it's just laziness in my part. The top 20 is in complete order (I had to for my radio show) the rest is just in random order.

illuminatus917
12-04-2011, 08:30 PM
To be fair, the whole Grand Wazoo debacle won the night. :lol:

:lol: Honestly, I enjoyed discussing bluegrass with him. It's not every day someone stumbles onto this site that's interested in Merlefest.

MPF
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
:lol: Honestly, I enjoyed discussing bluegrass with him. It's not every day someone stumbles onto this site that's interested in Merlefest.

That is very true. Well if nothing else it made for an entertaining weekend. haha

jhdeity
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
At least 3 of my Top 10 are in that last group of reviews. Maybe 4...

MPF
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
At least 3 of my Top 10 are in that last group of reviews. Maybe 4...

Sweet. Maybe I'll hit the other 6 soon.

Seventhzealot
12-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Part 2: 50-40, Making up for not doing this part last night:

*Once again I must repeat, this is not running order of albums 55-21, just the order of iTunes on Random

50.) Animals As Leaders- Weightless

Animals As Leaders debut, self titled album is flawless. Weightless is perfection. When I first heard this album it still perfectly describes it. It's as if Tosin joined Cloudkicker. This isn't the in your face shredder album with short interludes that the self titled album was. This is much more beautiful, Melodic and overall better songwriting. And I'm saying that as a huge fan of the debut. When Djent inevitable dies out. AAL will keep going because they know how to change for the better and not sound like every other band that attempts to copy them. This album again is perfection.

49.) Thomas Giles- Pulse

One of the most unexpected albums on the list. As a huge Between The Buried And Me fan, this album is almost the antithesis of every BTBAM album. Electronic, Progressive Rock, Pop, it's very singer/songwriter, but it is a killer album. Sleep Shake is one of the best songs Thomas Giles has ever written in any project he's been a part of. For anyone who doesn't dig BTBAM, or for Metal fans that needs something heavy but different, Pulse is the album for you.

48.) UneXpect- Fables Of The Sleepless Empire

UnXpect got their biggest credibility for being a supporting band in the Euro version of Progressive Nation 2009 with Dream Theater, Opeth and Bigelf. The best way to describe UneXpect is basically taking a female Mike Patton, and creating Prog Metal. Fables is their most....commercial album. If you listen to their previous work, you'll understand what I mean by that. This album is still fucked up as all hell. But it's very accessible, poppy and catchy, all while still being the UneXpect that people have come to know and love. There isn't too much Female Fronted Metal I listen to, but these guys are spectacular.

47.) dredg- Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

About 98% of all dredg fans hate this album, or after time realized it's an ok album. When I first heard dredg was going to make this kind of album filled with Dark Pop songs. I was scared shitless. but once I listened to it with an open mind. It became one of my favorite non-metal albums of the year. Don't expect the Prog greatness of their past 3 albums on this. It's a short, sweet Pop Rock album. That's all I expected from these guys. They know what they doing. Their greatness of killer Prog rock will be back on the next album I can feel it.

46.) Last Chance To Reason- Level 2

Last Chance To reason is one of my favorite discoveries of the year. Their first album Level 1, is a more Deathcore style album that, while I do dig, didn't really capture my interest. Then they released Level 2 this year. A Progressive Death Metal masterpiece. Combining the best of Cynic, Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, video games, and Classic Prog all in one album.having seen these guys twice in a 3 week span, made me even more of a fan. Hanging out with the guys after both shows made me a lifetime supporter. From what I understand, Level 3 is going to be even better. I can't wait to hear it. I will also be interviewing these guys sometime early next year. If you haven't yet, and want to hear some Killer Progressive FUCKING Metal, check out Last Chance To Reason!

45.) Machine Head- Unto The Locusts

It's amazing how Machine Head can put out 2 killer albums, then 2 fantastically shitty albums, then 3 perfect albums in a row. Unto The Locusts is what happens when you make a shorter, less drawn out version of The Blackening. It was the right move. Killer Groove Metal mixed with some catchy tunes and even a Rush cover (Witch Hunt). Besides having Roadrunner pick out their opening bands for their headlining tours, these guys are doing no wrong. This album is just a killer metal album.

44.) Long Distance Calling- Long Distance Calling

To be completely honest, I'm still bummed about this album. 2009's Avoid The Light is the perfect Progressive Post Metal album. the S/T album is more of a Instrumental Metal album. But that said, it's still better then almost all other bands that like to experiment. The songs are still memorable and very cool to listen to. and features Armored Saint's John Bush on the only song with vocals, Middleville. If you need a kickass instrumental Metal album that's not Djenty in any sense of the onomatopoeia. Check this out...then immediately pick up the album, Avoid The Light.

43.) World Under Blood- Tactical

I have been waiting since 2006 for this album to FINALLY be released. and it didn't disappoint at all. This is MELODIC Death Metal in every sense of the term. CKY's Derron Miller can do no wrong in any project he does. This is a killer album of some of the best Death Metal on the planet. While it is very, VERY, Melodic, that's what makes it so perfect. Also their covers of Megadeth and Malevolent Creation is just badass. I really hope the next album won't take another 6 years to make.

42.) Vektor- Outer Isolation

One of the best Progressive Thrash bands around, right along side Revocation. While I'm still new to the band (having only discovered them back in January with 2009's Black Future) I dare say Outer Isolation destroys it. It's thrashy, it's proggy, the vocals are very Death, early Slayer (The high pitch screams) inspired. the music is the great combination of influences that other bands should take notice of so they can become better bands. These guys are going to be getting bigger and better. Check them out now, while they are still the band in your back pocket.

41.) Amon Amarth- Sutur Rising

The AC/DC of Viking Metal have returned. Yews you won't hear anything that you haven't heard on their previous albums, but does that really matter? It's Heavy, It's Brutal, It's Melodic, It's Epic. That's all I want from Amon Amarth. Their cover of System Of A Down's Aerials is also a welcomed touch (The first Amon Amarth song with real clean vocals) I gotta give them credits, this band proves that sticking to your first roots, isn't always a bad thing. It's a kickass album.

40.) Wormrot- Dirge

I don't listen to much Grindcore, but when I do....it better knock the shit out of me. That's what Wormrot does. Arguably one of the greatest Grindcore albums ever written. and very, very short (17 minutes, it's not an EP, it's an album). And for me it's the perfect length. I can only go about 20-25 minutes of hearing Grindcore before I gotta switch it to something else, so this works perfectly. If you are new to Grindcore, but don't want to check out the classic Grindcore albums just yet. Check out Dirge from Wormrot. The only way you could ever be disappointed is if you hated the genre to begin with.

*Coming up soon 39-30*

Animals as Leaders was pretty good. Unexpect, well I don't know yet how I feel about that album. There was a lot going on musically and I feel I need a second listen to form an opinion on that record.

Amon Amarth were pretty solid,nothing too great. I really liked the SOAD cover. The new Machine Head album, like Amon Amarth was pretty decent too. Thought they put the breakdowns in the right areas and got the melodies right and Flynn's soft vocals are still pretty good.

Vektor really blew me away and it really is one of the standout releases of the year. I get a certain Coroner vibe from them and that's pretty good.

And I still have to check out that LCTR CD :eyes:

MPF
12-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Animals as Leaders was pretty good. Unexpect, well I don't know yet how I feel about that album. There was a lot going on musically and I feel I need a second listen to form an opinion on that record.

Amon Amarth were pretty solid,nothing too great. I really liked the SOAD cover. The new Machine Head album, like Amon Amarth was pretty decent too. Thought they put the breakdowns in the right areas and got the melodies right and Flynn's soft vocals are still pretty good.

Vektor really blew me away and it really is one of the standout releases of the year. I get a certain Coroner vibe from them and that's pretty good.

And I still have to check out that LCTR CD :eyes:

I highly advise checking out UneXpect again.

Vektor and LCTR put out two killer albums this year.

slapguitarer
12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I take it no one likes the albums mentioned above? haha I thought it was pretty diverse.

Too many good ablums too low.

No one likes any of mine either.

Listen to more metal, :tp:.

larvtard
12-05-2011, 05:16 PM
. I'm going to place them in countdown style, but only because it makes it look better, not because this is the order of how I like them. That's what the Top 20 is for.

I repeat this is not the running order of albums 55 through 21. Just what is in Random order from iTunes. Just putting it in countdown order to look more professional.

This doesn't make any sense.

Also, I'm gonna venture to say that these guys agree with me:
Too many good ablums too low.

:tongue:

MPF
12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
This doesn't make any sense.

Best way I can describe it

Albums 55-21 are not in order
1-20 will be.

The rest of this is me trying to explain:

I spent way too long trying to get my top 20 albums in order, WEEKS!. I wasn't going to spend that much time on the rest of the albums getting them in a correct order.

So what I did was take the albums that are not in the top 20, and randomized them in iTunes. Then collectively going backwards from 55 to 21, reviewing them. Putting them like i have saying Evergrey is 53 and stuff like that, is my way of saying. I want to make this in countdown order, and Evergrey popped up 3rd.

Could I have made it easier, you betcha....but I did it the hard way. :tongue:

Case in point one more time:

1-20 will be.

larvtard
12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Best way I can describe it

1-20 will be.

The rest of this is me trying to explain:

I spent way too long trying to get my top 20 albums in order, WEEKS!. I wasn't going to spend that much time on the rest of the albums getting them in a correct order.

So what I did was take the albums that are not in the top 20, and randomized them in iTunes. Then collectively going backwards from 55 to 21, reviewing them. Putting them like i have saying Evergrey is 53 and stuff like that, is my way of saying. I want to make this in countdown order, and Evergrey popped up 3rd.

Could I have made it easier, you betcha....but I did it the hard way. :tongue:

Case in point one more time:

1-20 will be.

I got all that, but I don't see the point in numbering them, then. When I said 'that doesn't make sense' I was referring to your logic that 'it looks more professional.' If anything, this is less professional because it's confusing so many people :lol:

illuminatus917
12-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Listen to more metal, :tp:.

:tp:

You checked out DethMaiden's list recently? ;)

Crionics
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Suprised Outer Isolation didn't crack the top 20, but glad you liked it!

slapguitarer
12-05-2011, 06:52 PM
:tp:

You checked out DethMaiden's list recently? ;)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he didn't have any Christrock on his list ;)

MPF
12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Suprised Outer Isolation didn't crack the top 20, but glad you liked it!

If it had come out a little sooner so I could listen to it more. It would have been in the top 5. I'm playing a track off of it next week that I'm recording tonight on my show. It's too good not to play.

With everything going on lately on air, and in my personal life (Just check out the what are you doing thread the last couple pages) I just haven't had the time to check out music like I've been able to in the last couple weeks.

In all honestly, in January, it will probably be in my top 5. haha

DethMaiden
12-05-2011, 07:18 PM

You haven't seen my top seven yet. Nothing but bands I saw at a festival at a megachurch in town.

illuminatus917
12-05-2011, 07:31 PM

I was talking about a metal to non-metal ratio, but touché. ;)

illuminatus917
12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Nothing but bands I saw at a festival at a megachurch in town.

Burzum? :lol:

Didn't know they were playing megachurch fests these days.

MPF
12-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Part 3- 39 to 30

39.) Amorphis- The Beginning Of Times

Amorphis has done no wrong in my eyes (That's right you read it...NO WRONG) The Beginning Of Times is continuing on from Skyforger in a better way. Every song is just as catchy as the next, while still being Proggy and Folky and just overall great songwriting. I heard great rumors that Amorphis will be touring with Nightwish in 2012 in the states, let's hope this is a full scale tour!!!

38.) Tesseract- One

The last Djent album to be featured in this list. TesseracT's One is the Fates Warning Of Djent. While it has elements of Djent, they are much better then the term gives them credit for. Although they lost their vocalist back a few months ago. I'm still holding hope that they will be able to still be as badass as One was. This whole album is just killer.

37.) Omega Massif- Karpatia

One of my favorite discoveries of the year. Heavy, Sludgey, Doomy, Proggy, and Instrumental. Damn what a perfect combination. Omega Massif takes all the best parts of Post Metal, gets rid of the boring shit, and replaces it with Dynamics and heaviness that needs to be in all future Post Metal bands. It's not too often I can be blown away like this. Omega Massif did it. Check this shit out!

36.) Thulcandra- Under The Frozen Sun

Classic Black Metal. From members of the band, Obscura. I love Black Metal, and this album....DAMN! it is perfection. If you are looking for everything that made Black Metal good, before it got so mundane this album is for you!

35.) Old Silver Key- Tales Of Wanderings

Neige and Drudkh on the same album, how could this possibly suck? It can't! It's the perfect Post Rock (with vocals) album. While there are some elements of Black Metal it's few and far between, no black Metal screams, just musically It's all in clean English and very romantic and beautiful. I'm a sucker for these kinds of albums, and I gotta admit I love every track. Whenever you are feeling down or lonely, or if you are in love, this album is for you!

34.) Symphony X- Iconoclast

Some people say this is SX's best album, some say it sucks because there is no variety and it all sounds like one long double album song. I happen to believe it's the album Paradise should have been. While there are some great songs on Paradise Lost, it overall wasn't up to par. Iconoclast on the other hand is amazing. Not their best by any means, but god damn! If you like heavy Progressive Metal. Check out Iconoclast. It's well worth it.

33.) Charred Walls OF The Damned- Cold Winds on Timeless Days

In speaking of albums that should have been better. That's how I feel about the Self Titled album from Charred Walls Of THe Damned. Richard Christy is one of my biggest drumming influences. but after repeated listens, the Self Titled album gets hard to listen to. NO SO on Cold Winds Of Timeless Days. This album is perfection. Ripper Owens knows how to use his voice on this album (One of the bigger problems with the S/T album) This is pure Progressive Power Metal. It's such a shame that this will not be toured behind extensively. I really wanna see these guys live. This album is why.

32.) The Anabasis- Back From Being Gone

Epic Progressive Metal. What more could a guy like me need? Featuring Ryo from Spock's Beard. This album is just perfection in my eyes. Is the production perfect, no, but what would you expect from an unsigned band. But it is loud clear, and very awesome to listen to. Every song is just as fun to listen to as the next. Including all the epic songs involved. (Only 6 songs on this one, 3 epics.) IF you need a refresher on amazing Progressive Metal. Check out my good friends in, The Anabasis!

31.) Darkest Hour- The Human Romance

Darkest Hour lost all my interest when they dropped Kris Norris, and decided that Devin Townsend wasn't good enough for them to produce their albums anymore. But they got it back with this one. With Peter from Soilwork manning the producing. They made a Melodic Thrash/ Melodic Death Metal album. That is very damn catchy and enjoyable from front to back. Something I thought I would ever be able to say again. If you liked The Kris Norris era of Darkest Hour, Check out The Human Romance!

30.) sleepmakeswaves- ...and so we destroyed everything

Again another example of what Post Rock is suppose to be. Un-boring dynamic, instrumental Rock music. This was an album I had been meaning to check out all year, then when i finally got around to it. i couldn't shut it off. While the band name, album title and song titles are a bit...hipster. The music more then makes up for it! If you need a break from the Post Rock monotony. get this NOW!!!

Next time...part 4 29-21

Epidemic Reign
12-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Part 3- 39 to 30

39.) Amorphis- The Beginning Of Times

Amorphis has done no wrong in my eyes (That's right you read it...NO WRONG) The Beginning Of Times is continuing on from Skyforger in a better way. Every song is just as catchy as the next, while still being Proggy and Folky and just overall great songwriting. I heard great rumors that Amorphis will be touring with Nightwish in 2012 in the states, let's hope this is a full scale tour!!!!

I need to revisit this album again, I only listened to it once and kind of forgot about it. Not that it was bad, I think I just wasn't in the mood for new Amorphis at the time.

I still hope you're right about that tour, but I've heard the Universal City show referred to as "the only Nightwish show on US soil for all of 2012".

:confused:

:snivel:

MPF
12-08-2011, 01:09 AM
I need to revisit this album again, I only listened to it once and kind of forgot about it. Not that it was bad, I think I just wasn't in the mood for new Amorphis at the time.

I still hope you're right about that tour, but I've heard the Universal City show referred to as "the only Nightwish show on US soil for all of 2012".

:confused:

:snivel:

I heard that as well, but the folks that I know in the St. Paul area have told me, they are planning this to be a full scale. It wouldn't make sense for them to do only one show when it costs that much to get visas....and it's not ProgPower right? :D:D:D

Epidemic Reign
12-08-2011, 01:26 AM
I heard that as well, but the folks that I know in the St. Paul area have told me, they are planning this to be a full scale. It wouldn't make sense for them to do only one show when it costs that much to get visas....and it's not ProgPower right? :D:D:D

True, although both bands are scheduled for the 70k Tons of Metal cruise just after Universal City and Nightwish is booked for a Finnish show in early March. So if they do indeed pull out a full US tour this year, I'd imagine it would be much later in the year...

Edit: Just looked at their website and they've got European dates from March to the beginning of May and then another Finnish show in July. So hopefully in the fall they might make it here?

Seventhzealot
12-08-2011, 05:09 AM
Part 3- 39 to 30

[B]36.) Thulcandra- Under The Frozen Sun

Classic Black Metal. From members of the band, Obscura. I love Black Metal, and this album....DAMN! it is perfection. If you are looking for everything that made Black Metal good, before it got so mundane this album is for you!

Fucking stoked to see this here. This record has really gone under the radar which is a shame because it is so good.

MPF
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Fucking stoked to see this here. This record has really gone under the radar which is a shame because it is so good.

I played Gates Of Eden on my Halloween show, and damn did people dig it. I'm glad I can show off REAL Black Metal to kids who love their Pabst Blue RIbbon and Taylor Swift.

:lol:

Natrlhi
12-09-2011, 01:58 PM
*sighs*

The whole calling everything electronic Dubstep thing around here is really gonna get on my nerves.... lolWelcome to my world, brotha.

MPF
12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Part 4: 29-21

29.) Arch/Matheos- Sympathetic Resonance

John Arch with the current instrumental line up of Fates Warning. honestly, what would be better? It appears as those there is some bad blood or something going on with Matheos and Ray Adler (Nether side is going into details) But regardless, you should just consider this the newest Fates Warning album. There's no reason not to. It is just badass from start to finish. Midnight Serenade is the perfect Prog Metal single, and every song is just awesome. Although there is only 6 songs. It is jam packed and a full fledged Prog Metal album. Definitely worthy of being one of the best Prog Metal albums of the year.

28.) Woods Of Desolation-Torn Beyond Reason

The best straight up Black Metal album of the year. Hand down. It has everything...EVERYTHING you need in a Black Metal release. Its sad, it's angry, it's dark, and always ironically uplifting (Like most black Metal albums in my opinion, just based on the fact the actual music gives off that kinda feeling). Australia's Woods Of Desolation made the perfect Black Metal album this year. It's been in and out of my top 20 all year. Sadly it didn't make the mark. But this will go down as a must have for all you Black Metal purists.

27.) Fleshgod Apocalypse- Agony

Symphonic Death Metal at it's finest. It makes me feel so shitty of a drummer to know that he has only been playing 3 years now, and recorded this album. How the fuck can someone play blast beats this fast, precise, and relentless after only playing drums for 3 years? But the album itself has all the symphonic backgrounds I love that Dimmu Borgir ruined in Black Metal and just the brutality of Death Metal that is lacking in Death Metal. It's not very technical outside the drums. just fast, heavy and brutal. Sometimes that's all you need in Death metal. I don't have much Death Metal in my list this year. but this I couldn't do without!

26.) Times Of Grace- The Hymn Of The Broken Man

Killswitch Engage.....I mean Times Of Grace put out a very solid Metalcore album with a ting of Post Rock way in the beginning of this year. This is how I wish the last KSE album actually sounded. and I have a feeling the new KSE due to come out fall 2012 will sound a bit like this. Jesse has been sorely missed by myself and other fans for years. It's great to hear him back where he belongs, working with Adam D.

25.) Fucked Up- David Comes To Life

There's not much Hardcore I listen to, but when I do, again like Grindcore, it better knock the shit out of me. This is old school Hardcore, mixed with Punk Rock and an overall Epic Concept feel through out. Like if Black Flag started working with Green Day consulted by The Ramones. Every song is very catchy and just badass. It's one of the red-headed step children albums on my list simply because I don't listen to this genre much. But Fucked Up is bringing back what used to be great about it, before it was over saturated in the Mid-90s. Hipster loved or not. I Love Fucked Up!

24.) Beardfish- Mammoth

Anyone miss 70's Prog like I do? Well now you don't have to with Beardfish. Beardfish has been around for a long time now. but Mammoth is easily the best album the band has ever written. 70's Prog mixed with Zappa style humor and musical styles and some of the best musicianship in Prog today. Those that aren't looking for Technical Prog Metal, and just want some sometimes heavy Prog Rock mixed with what made 70's Prog awesome. Check out Beardfish!

23.) Anaal Nathrakh- Passion

This is the album you get when you combine every style of Metal into one band. Industrial and Black Metal, Death Metal and Grindcore being the main influences. As if Strapping Young Lad, didn't get extreme enough. IF you're not into this style of music at all. I only recommend listening to this in very small doses, but if you give it a chance you might actually start to appreciate it. It's fucked up *no pun intended from the review above* but it is spectacular.

22.) Falloch- Where Distant Spirits Remain

Alcest, Agalloch and Primordial mixed together makes for one of the best damn albums of the year. This was originally in my top 20, but it does belong more in the top 25. Some consider this bland and boring. I consider it a masterpiece. The main reason this isn't in my top 20, is that I wanted more variety in my top 20 list. This album is perfection in every sense of the word. If you like Blackened Post/Folk Metal (Agalloch, Alcest, Primordial) do yourself a favor and enjoy Falloch. It's too damn good to ignore.

21.) Zebulon Pike- Space Is The Corpse of Time

Minnesota's own Zebulon Pike (recently featured on National Public Radio as their band of the day), combines the best of music as they say in their own words "The music of from 1975 to 1979. An Instrumental band that is Black Sabbath and Rush mixed together. The doom sludgy, Metal of Sabbath, and the progginess of early Rush. These 5 songs make up 49 minutes of the Stoner Prog Metal, that no one has really took much time to try to create. Zebulon Pike did it perfectly. Check this out if you need to fill the void that Sleep isn't proggy enough, and Prog isn't slow enough.

Coming up next time.....The best EPs of 2011!

MPF
12-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Copme on, someone's gotta bitch about or enjoy one of these 9.

Maiden33
12-10-2011, 02:25 PM
29.) Arch/Matheos- Sympathetic Resonance[/B]

John Arch with the current instrumental line up of Fates Warning. honestly, what would be better? It appears as those there is some bad blood or something going on with Matheos and Ray Adler (Nether side is going into details) But regardless, you should just consider this the newest Fates Warning album. There's no reason not to. It is just badass from start to finish. Midnight Serenade is the perfect Prog Metal single, and every song is just awesome. Although there is only 6 songs. It is jam packed and a full fledged Prog Metal album. Definitely worthy of being one of the best Prog Metal albums of the year.

Ray Alder singing on this album, that's what would be better.

Seventhzealot
12-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Part 4: 29-21

[B]
28.) Woods Of Desolation-Torn Beyond Reason

The best straight up Black Metal album of the year. Hand down. It has everything...EVERYTHING you need in a Black Metal release. Its sad, it's angry, it's dark, and always ironically uplifting (Like most black Metal albums in my opinion, just based on the fact the actual music gives off that kinda feeling). Australia's Woods Of Desolation made the perfect Black Metal album this year. It's been in and out of my top 20 all year. Sadly it didn't make the mark. But this will go down as a must have for all you Black Metal purists.
:fist:

27.) Fleshgod Apocalypse- Agony

Symphonic Death Metal at it's finest. It makes me feel so shitty of a drummer to know that he has only been playing 3 years now, and recorded this album. How the fuck can someone play blast beats this fast, precise, and relentless after only playing drums for 3 years? But the album itself has all the symphonic backgrounds I love that Dimmu Borgir ruined in Black Metal and just the brutality of Death Metal that is lacking in Death Metal. It's not very technical outside the drums. just fast, heavy and brutal. Sometimes that's all you need in Death metal. I don't have much Death Metal in my list this year. but this I couldn't do without!

Really liked this one too.

23.) Anaal Nathrakh- Passion

This is the album you get when you combine every style of Metal into one band. Industrial and Black Metal, Death Metal and Grindcore being the main influences. As if Strapping Young Lad, didn't get extreme enough. IF you're not into this style of music at all. I only recommend listening to this in very small doses, but if you give it a chance you might actually start to appreciate it. It's fucked up *no pun intended from the review above* but it is spectacular.
Holy crap! is all I can say when I listened to it at first!

MPF
12-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Ray Alder singing on this album, that's what would be better.

:lol:

While that could be true. I've always been a fan of John Arch and his vocal style. I love the early FW albums as much as the Adler era. SO I'm not disappointed at all. Besides, Adler had Redemption this year. and notice how I haven't mentioned yet. Hmmmm :D:D:D

MPF
12-10-2011, 02:31 PM
:fist:

Really liked this one too.

Holy crap! is all I can say when I listened to it at first!

Glad to see more love for Woods of Desolation, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Anaal Nathrakh (besides just Manks, haha)

Seventhzealot
12-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Glad to see more love for Woods of Desolation, Fleshgod Apocalypse and Anaal Nathrakh (besides just Manks, haha)

I have WoD and FgA on my honorable mentions :D Both of them made the initial list but some last minute alterations meant I had to take them off with a heavy heart.

Anaal Nathrakh are well..Anaal Nathrakh!

MPF
12-10-2011, 02:39 PM
I have WoD and FgA on my honorable mentions :D Both of them made the initial list but some last minute alterations meant I had to take them off with a heavy heart.

Anaal Nathrakh are well..Anaal Nathrakh!

Same. More so WOD. It was sitting at number 20 for months until some new albums I listened to and sadly knocked it off.

But the top 20 (that won't be posted until around the time my top 20 radio show airs) is all the reason why.

mastodon421
12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Good to see some love for Fleshgod and Times Of Grace. Both of those albums are pretty underappreciated.

Epidemic Reign
12-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Good to see some love for Fleshgod and Times Of Grace. Both of those albums are pretty underappreciated.

DOES NOT COMPUTE

Sorry guise.

MPF
12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Part 5: The EP's of 2011

Unlike the fuck up I did not fix for album 55-21, I will just do this in random order...that's it.

1. - 9.) The Dear Hunter- The Color Spectrum (9 EPs)

The Dear Hunter did something this year that I've always wanted them to do. expand their sound even more. Everything from Heavy Industrial, to Hard Rock To Blues to County To Folk. All 9 EPs representing the entire Color Spectrum (From Black To White). This is the compilation for those that really can call themselves MUSIC fans, not just one or two genres. There is at least one EP to satisfy any music fan. Look into it and find some damn good music.

10.) Adrenaline Mob- Adrenaline Mob

Sorry Mike, I tried...I tried hard. The only song I can really get into is The Mob Rules. The original songs, while have excellent musicianship, just aren't for me. Having Never really been a Disturbed fan. I probably never will. I will still be looking into the full length when it comes out, but I'm not putting any expectations on it outside any covers that will be a part of it. I'm much more into Flying Colors, and the John Sykes projects that will be coming out in 2012. If I wasn't already a fan of Black Label Society and Pantera,I probably would have enjoyed this a bit more.

11.) Emmanuel and The Fear- Hands

A mainly Mellow/Subdue EP. This one as well I had a hard time getting into. Their album from last year is a mindblowing album. This sounds like it was only made to hold people over until the next album comes out. The first 2 tracks are pretty rockin' the rest falls apart to me. But these guys are very much worth looking into if you are a fan of newer Alternative Prog Rock. They are a great band. But just start with their first album first. Not Hands.

12.) Giant Squid- Cenotes

Giant Squid is for people who like their music left of center. They never stick to one particular style. If you had to categorize them, I'd say Progressive Doom Metal. This EP is very damn good, but I haven't spent enough time with it just yet. From the listens that I have given it, I will say it is a lot more accessible and more direct then their previous work. Not a bad thing at all and a great starting place for new fans. If you like adventurous Metal, check out Giant Squid!

13.) Blotted Science- The Animation Of Entomology

Nearly 25 minutes of "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?" Blotted Science has gotten even more insane from their debut album 2 years ago. Switching out drummer Charlie Zeleny for Obscura's Hannes Grossmann. This is just absolutely mindblowing Progressive Metal and that is not for the faint of heart. If you try to comprehend everything going on, you mind my fry. But it is soooo worth it. For the most off the wall heavy as hell, absolutely insane EP of 2011. GET THIS NOW!

14.) Time and Tension- Time And Tension

The self released debut EP from the next big Progressive Rock/Metal band from Canada. I've known these guys for years (Thanks to facebook and the Mike Portnoy Forum). When I finally heard the full version of these 3 tracks that became the Self Titled EP. I was in shock. It turned out so damn good. Dream Theater mixed with Porcupine Tree, made int he perfect way. It's the perfect EP for any real Prog fan, that wants to just kick back, relax and enjoy some damn beautiful music. It's available for free on their bandcamp page, so you have no excuse not to check this out. You'll be glad you did.

15.) Kevin Suter- Novus Initium

While doing my usual searching for new music I cam across this and I gotta admit, i am impressed. another one man band of Instrumental Math Metal. Picture a Heavier Cloudkicker and more to the point instead of just ambiance. That's this EP. I don't know if Kevin Suter will continue making more music or not, since I don't much about him, but I hope that if he continues he will be able to continue making music as good as these 4 songs. Very damn impressive.

16.) Riverside- Memories In My Head

Another EP that I haven't been able to give my full attention to quite yet. They are continuing on with what made them a better band on their last album. Really cool Progressive Rock, not so much focusing on Metal. Which to me, is much more interesting then their past albums before that time. While this isn't their best work. It is still pretty good and worth checking out.

17.) Black Dog Rd- Endeavor's Child

Is it fair to put my own EP up on this? You bet your ass it is. Haha. This is the most proud I have ever been in any band to be apart of. I haven't played music like this since I was in grade school. I've been so focused on Metal and at the time, Cover bands to ever give this side of my playing a chance. It's bluesy at times, It's got parts of Alternative and Classic Rock, all with our modern sound. 7 songs that just kick my ass. I love it. If you are interested, you can check out Black Dog Rd on Facebook and listen to the whole EP, and if you dig it, download the whole thing for just 5 bucks! *end plug*

18.) Blizzard At Sea- Invariance

Another just badass Progressive Metal EP. It is VERY inspired by Leviathan era Mastodon. Which is nowhere near a bad thing. 4 killer songs that makes for a killer EP. I hope these guys can make it. It needs to be heard. If you need a kickass 26 Minute Progressive Metal assault. This is where it's at.

19.) Cloudkicker- Let Yourself Be Huge

I believe Cloudkicker realized that all Djent and Metal bands have ripped off Cloudkicker by this point and he decided to pull a 180 on all of us, This is a very mellow and heart warming EP. *I would have added Loop to this as well, but that is basically just one song* Let Yourself Be Huge is the perfect Anti-Math Metal EP coming from a Math Metal band and the title track is the first song in Cloudkicker's history to have vocals. this is one of my favorite EPs of the year I wish I could say it was an album so it could have made my top 20 list.

20.) Returning We Hear The Larks- Proud England

Another Math Metal/Progressive Metal band that scene kids will call Djent. I am actually really impressed with this EP. Having had no prior knowledge of the band before this time. Is it the most original EP around. Not by a long shot. But the music behind it is very damn good. Subdue at times, heavy at others. If you dig this style at all. They are very much worth your time.

21.) Matterhorn- Vol. 1. The World Began without Man...

The most impressive debut EP of the year IMO. Torche meets Mastodon in an instrumental way. They know when to be fast and brutal, yet know when to be sludgy and brutal. It's a fantastic combination. I gotta hand it to them. They knocked my socks off and haven't stopped. Now I'm eagerly waiting Vol. 2. CHECK THIS OUT!!!

22.) Caldera- Mithra

Instrumental Black Metal mixed with Doom Metal and a little bit of Prog. Both songs on this EP make it equal to 34 minutes (15 and 18 minutes). This does prove my point to a T that the main reason people can't get into Black Metal is because of the vocals. This proves how good Black Metal actually can be if you take away the tr00ness and the kvlt and just focus on the damn music. Its fantastic stuff!

23.) Cynic- Carbon Based Anatomy

Outside the drumming of Sean Reinert. There is nothing Metal about this EP. Just pure Progressive Rock...and I wouldn't want it any other way. This EP is perfection in every sense of the word. Combining everything that is great about Cynic in a 23 minute flat EP. It's so damn beautiful and proggy at the same time. It's tied with BTBAM as the best EP of the year!

24.) Between The Buried And Me- The Parallax: The Hypersleep Dialogues

This is the perfect 30 minute Mini album (Or EP, whatever, fuck you *South Park reference*) This whole EP is a concept EP that will be continued on their 2012 full length release. It is very spacey this time around, and I dare say their finest songwriting to date. They did write their best song ever on this release. Lunar Wilderness. I can only imagine what the full length is going to sound like. As of now it's my most anticipated release of 2012. BTBAM has done no wrong. Only getting better and better. This EP proves it!

25.) Angel Vivaldi- Universal Language

The 3rd best EP of the year. This is absolutely mindblowing Music. Again it is Instrumental Progressive Metal featuring Angel Vivaldi, and drummer Bill Fore formerly of Mutiny Within. It is an instrumental concept album going through Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring all over the universe. The musicianship behind this album is simply stunning. I really really hope Angel Vivaldi will keep this project going and release more music, and even more so....TOUR. This is way too damn good to ignore. Check this out ASAP!

26.) FALSE- (untitled)

The Twin Cities own best Black Metal band. This 2 song EP (25 minutes long) is some of the best pure, straight up Black Metal I've heard in a very long time. It's relentless in it's evil nature, but so damn good at the same time. USBM gets a bad rap all the time (Those damn vegan hipsters, haha) But this is amazing Black Metal. It's awesome they are local as well. I hope in 2012 they will start to get more known. I'll do what I can to support them.

27.) Immolation- Providence

It's about time I ended a segment on a particularly BRUTAL note. Don't get these guys confused with Black Metal's Immortal. Immolation is a fucking brutal Death Metal band from New York, who knows how to make damn good Death Metal, this FREE EP is just awesome. Death Metal with an edge and not boring. and since it is free. It's hard to complain. Immolation is one of the best bands in the genre. Check out this FREE EP.

Coming up next time...The Best Bands In The Minnesota/Northern Wisconsin Area

MPF
12-12-2011, 02:16 PM
*Bump Bitches*

Seventhzealot
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm glad that all of the EPs from my list made it on yours ;) :horns:

MPF
12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm glad that all of the EPs from my list made it on yours ;) :horns:

The only EP I heard that I didn't like was Adrenaline Mob, so I figured I might as well throw it in as well. But yeah, every other EP I definitely dig. Hopefully you'll find some Gems in there as well that you haven't heard yet.

MPF
12-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Just noticed this got knocked off the first page....the fuck?

I guess I might as well skip the local bands and just save that for my facebook page and go straight for the Top 20 (ALL of these albums will be represented on my Top 20 of 2011 show that will air New Years Day)

I'm going to do this....20-16, 15-11, 10- 6 and finally 5-1.

20.) Anthrax- Worship Music
I will be the first guy here to always say Bush>>>Belladonna. I got into Anthrax during the Bush years, John Bush is my my kinda singer and We've Come For You All is their best album (haters gonna hate) That said. Belladonna and Anthrax in general stepped up their game on this one. I was fully expecting this one to go over like Chinese Democracy because of all the controversy surrounding it. I was happily mistaken. Killer thrash and Hard Rock are fully represented on this one. And I dare say one of the best Thrash Albums of 2011.

19.) Hotel Of The Laughing Tree- Terror And Everything After
One of the red-headed step children albums on this list, and it very well deserves to be in my top 20. These guys cover everything there is in Rock music, from Alternative to Hard Rock, to Folk Rock and everything in between. No two songs sound the same and overall...it's just a kickass Rock album. Metal purists, even you will admire the musicianship that goes in this album. It's too good to ignore just because it's not tr00 and kvlt.

18.) Primordial- Redemption at The Puritian's Hand

Having only discovered these guys this year. I'm pissed at myself for not finding out about them earlier. Primordial is the perfect Irish Folk Metal/Black Metal band. Mostly Blind Guardian style clean vocals with the occasional Black Metal backups or screams in verses. The music....HOLY FUCK....IT IS EPIC! If you love true evil heavy metal, this album is for you. I will give anything for Primordial to tour in 2012.....ANYTHING!

17.) Devin Townsend- Ghost
Devin Townsend is my musical god for a reason. He can be pure fucking metal, a prog Metal icon, a fake Punk, or in this case a folk Rock master. THose tht know me will be shocked to see Ghost this low in my top 20. THe biggest Reason being. I love this album to death, but Unless I need some meditation or a peaceful break/sleep. I can't listen to this album all the time. It's too peaceful to enjoy over and over again. As a Rock/Metal fan, peaceful music calms me down and it's great to sleep too (I mean that in a very good way) but for Ghost it proves that Devin can play anything he sets to mind to, and god damn, he created his second most beautiful album to date (Nothing tops Terria....ever!)

16.) Pagan's Mind- Heavenly Ecstasy
Pagan's mind is always going to be in one of these two categories: 1.) better then Dream Theater or 2.) Worse then Dream Theater. It's undeniable. There is a lot of similarities. DT will forever be my favorite band, but Pagan's Mind....it's idiotic to ignore these guys. They have the perfect Progressive Power Metal touch. On Par with Symphony X and a fuckload better then Circus Maximus. Eyes of Fire is one of my favorite songs of 2011 for a reason...just listen to this masterpiece of a song, and you'll understand why. It hit me like a ton of bricks and does to this day.

COMING UP NEXT TIME.....15-11!

El Gordo
12-18-2011, 05:34 AM
20.) Anthrax- Worship Music
I will be the first guy here to always say Bush>>>Belladonna. I got into Anthrax during the Bush years, John Bush is my my kinda singer and We've Come For You All is their best album (haters gonna hate) That said. Belladonna and Anthrax in general stepped up their game on this one. I was fully expecting this one to go over like Chinese Democracy because of all the controversy surrounding it. I was happily mistaken. Killer thrash and Hard Rock are fully represented on this one. And I dare say one of the best Thrash Albums of 2011.

I like that Anthrax album, and number 20 is probably about where it should be, but if that's a thrash album, I have a two-foot dick.

Maiden33
12-18-2011, 08:44 AM
16.) Pagan's Mind- Heavenly Ecstasy
Pagan's mind is always going to be in one of these two categories: 1.) better then Dream Theater or 2.) Worse then Dream Theater. It's undeniable. There is a lot of similarities. DT will forever be my favorite band, but Pagan's Mind....it's idiotic to ignore these guys. They have the perfect Progressive Power Metal touch. On Par with Symphony X and a fuckload better then Circus Maximus. Eyes of Fire is one of my favorite songs of 2011 for a reason...just listen to this masterpiece of a song, and you'll understand why. It hit me like a ton of bricks and does to this day.[/B]

I have to disagree about Circus Maximus - I don't think Pagan's Mind have ever put out an album as great as Isolate. I love Pagan's Mind a lot, obviously - but this comment about CM distresses me a little, haha.

MPF
12-18-2011, 01:12 PM
I like that Anthrax album, and number 20 is probably about where it should be, but if that's a thrash album, I have a two-foot dick.

The ladies must love you. :D

But how is this NOT a Thrash album? Just because a couple songs AREN'T Thrash?. I never said it was a pure Thrash album, even in the review I said it was Hard Rock as well. Which some songs are Hard Rock.

I have to disagree about Circus Maximus - I don't think Pagan's Mind have ever put out an album as great as Isolate. I love Pagan's Mind a lot, obviously - but this comment about CM distresses me a little, haha.

I've never gotten into Circus Maximus. I tried. I tried a lot. But I can't get over their DT Ripoffs to enjoy anything else about them. I have both CM albums and anytime I try to get into either album. I have to switch it off after a song or tow....I just can't do it. :eyes:

ravenheart
12-18-2011, 01:14 PM

:lol: This. It isn't a thrash album in the least.

MPF
12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
:lol: This. It isn't a thrash album in the least.

Read above :lol:

ravenheart
12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Read above :lol:

I read it. I'm saying you're wrong ;)

MPF
12-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I read it. I'm saying you're wrong ;)

I'm wrong in saying that it's a Thrash/Hard Rock album? Oh you. :lol:

Maiden33
12-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I've never gotten into Circus Maximus. I tried. I tried a lot. But I can't get over their DT Ripoffs to enjoy anything else about them. I have both CM albums and anytime I try to get into either album. I have to switch it off after a song or tow....I just can't do it. :eyes:

Both Circus Maximus albums are better than anything DT's done since Scenes From a Memory, but I still consider that an irrelevant point. What specifically about Circus Maximus is so much cloning DT that you can't like them? Sure, theyr'e Progressive Metal in the style that DT developed, as are many, many other bands. But just because you play a style developed by a band doesn't make you a worthless clone. That's like saying all traditional metal bands with guitar harmonies are worthless Maiden clones.

Furthermore, how is CM too derivative, when Pagan's Mind actually has a song or two that I can specifically cite sound exactly like certain Dream Theater songs?

MPF
12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Both Circus Maximus albums are better than anything DT's done since Scenes From a Memory, but I still consider that an irrelevant point. What specifically about Circus Maximus is so much cloning DT that you can't like them? Sure, theyr'e Progressive Metal in the style that DT developed, as are many, many other bands. But just because you play a style developed by a band doesn't make you a worthless clone. That's like saying all traditional metal bands with guitar harmonies are worthless Maiden clones.

Furthermore, how is CM too derivative, when Pagan's Mind actually has a song or two that I can specifically cite sound exactly like certain Dream Theater songs?

Well I never said that was the ONLY reason. but it is the biggest contributing factor. It's really hard for me to describe it without listening again and point out factors. It's just not really for me. Just like I'm not really a Kamelot fan either. I've tried for years. I even bought Ghost Opera the Tuesday it was released. It's just not for me. There's no real technical reasons for it other then it doesn't click with me like it should as a Prog fan.

Heavenly Ecstasy is the first Pagan's Mind album where I didn't notice a heavy DT influence. I dare say I like it the best.

On a non-related subject, apparently Mike Portnoy thinks Dream Theater ripped off the band, Red with Build Me Up, Break Me Down. :lol:

hb420
12-18-2011, 05:32 PM
18.) Primordial- Redemption at The Puritian's Hand
Having only discovered these guys this year. I'm pissed at myself for not finding out about them earlier. Primordial is the perfect Irish Folk Metal/Black Metal band. Mostly Blind Guardian style clean vocals with the occasional Black Metal backups or screams in verses. The music....HOLY FUCK....IT IS EPIC! If you love true evil heavy metal, this album is for you. I will give anything for Primordial to tour in 2012.....ANYTHING!

Great album, nice pick. Like you just got into them with this release and was blown away.

MPF
12-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Great album, nice pick. Like you just got into them with this release and was blown away.

Glad to see I wasn't the only new fan this year. Such killer music. I know they are playing ProgPower. but they gotta do a full on tour. They just have to.

hb420
12-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Glad to see I wasn't the only new fan this year. Such killer music. I know they are playing ProgPower. but they gotta do a full on tour. They just have to.

I know, imagine them with Amon Amarth. That would be the definition of epic. :drool:

MPF
12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I know, imagine them with Amon Amarth. That would be the definition of epic. :drool:

They were originally suppose to be on the Enslaved/Alcest tour, but their visas didn't get in on time.

Amon Amarth would be a good choice.

GarageMetal468
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
They were originally suppose to be on the Enslaved/Alcest tour, but their visas didn't get in on time.

WHAT

Oh man... I'd definitely take them over Ghost, and I love Ghost! Sucks but yeah I do hope they tour the states next year... seeing as how they're doing Paganfest Europe with Negura Bunget and Equilibrium, maybe that's a potential lineup for when they tour here the next time :drool:

hb420
12-18-2011, 06:17 PM

Amon Amarth would be a good choice.

That sucks, would have been a way better fit for them than Junius or Ghost.

MPF
12-18-2011, 06:54 PM
It was never made publicly, but yeah it does suck balls.

Junius did kick ass though. I'm a huge fan after seeing them live.

MPF
12-19-2011, 07:30 PM
The Top 20, Part 2: 15-11

15.) Opeth- Heritage
Opeth have really polarized themselves from the Death Metal scene by releasing their 2nd album without Growls or Death Metal of any kind with Heritage. It is a pure 70's Prog album with lots of elements of Folky and and acoustic Music as well. Songs like Slither show they are still just as heavy as ever. I will admit it does get boring in the 3rd quarter of the album, but the rest of the album is great. and well worthy of a top 20 spot. Nothing in top 10, but Top 20 for sure.

14.) Wolves In The Throne Room- Celestial Lineage
Many people say WITTR are the band responsible for the new wave of Atmospheric Black Metal. It's really hard to disagree. They do everything that I love in Black Metal. Just as evil as any Emperor or Darkthrone but enjoyable to any Post Rock/Post Metal fan.I Dare say this is their most Epic album to date. This album is one of the best Black Metal albums to be released in recent time. Hipsters love this style....and even that doesn't drive me away from the great music behind it. I hope one day I'll get to see them live.

13.) Leprous- Bilateral
Easily one of the best Prog albums to ever be released. And the only reason why this isn't higher is because of the lack of time I have been able to digest this album before having to of made my top 20 list/Radio show. Every song is killer from start to finish, my personal favorite being the album closer, Painful Detour. Leprous is also the current backing band for Ihsahn. It's a great combination for sure. If you like your Progressive Metal with a bit of Ihsahn style's Norwegian Blackened metal, and quirky as hell. This is the album for you. Don't ignore this amazing album!

12.) Fair To Midland- Arrows And Anchors
Fair to Midland can do no wrong. Some the say the production isn't the best on this album, but I always look past production and focus on the songs at hand. That's what this album has, fantastic songwriting and structure. Very catchy hooks, and and overall scene of power you don't hear in popular Progressive Rock/Metal. I might even go as far to say that I prefer this to Fables...I'm not quite there yet, but right now they are dead even.

11.) Deafheaven- Roads To Judah
Four of the most perfectly crafted Post Rock/Black Metal songs ever made....especially for a debut album! And they have been scaring off Hipsters while being on tour with Russian Circles this year...another 10 points added to their awesomeness. haha. But seriously. This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for in the Post Rock and Black Metal worlds and Deafheaven combined them perfectly. Please do yourself a favor and get this album ASAP! You will be so glad that you did.

Coming up next time. 10-6!

slapguitarer
12-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Deafheaven is the tits! :rocker:

MPF
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Deafheaven is the tits! :rocker:

Huge DD size tits that are all yours to play with, :drool::drool::drool:

MPF
12-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Bump Bitches

While I'm thinking about it, do you want me Top 10 in one post or in two? judging hon what playlist I'll be playing this Saturday for my other new radio gig I might be premiering my top 8 so I might just get it all out of the way.

What do you guys want?

masterguy49
12-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Bump Bitches

While I'm thinking about it, do you want me Top 10 in one post or in two? judging hon what playlist I'll be playing this Saturday for my other new radio gig I might be premiering my top 8 so I might just get it all out of the way.

What do you guys want?

One post, I have no patience :D

King Slender
12-20-2011, 06:16 PM
12.) Fair To Midland- Arrows And Anchors
Fair to Midland can do no wrong. Some the say the production isn't the best on this album, but I always look past production and focus on the songs at hand. That's what this album has, fantastic songwriting and structure. Very catchy hooks, and and overall scene of power you don't hear in popular Progressive Rock/Metal. I might even go as far to say that I prefer this to Fables...I'm not quite there yet, but right now they are dead even.

Just discovered these guys this year. Great fucking album! :punk:

MPF
12-20-2011, 06:21 PM
FUCK IT. TOP 10 TIME!!!

10.) Redemption- This Mortal Coil

Easily Redemption's best album? Some complain about the production now being what Snowfall was, or some riffs sound similar to other songs. but that is meaningless to me. This album is Prog Metal perfection! And no I'm not just saying that because I named their live DVD 'Frozen in The Moment'. haha This is one of the most hard hitting albums lyrically I've heard since Evergrey's Recreation Day. and call me a pussy all you want, I did cry when I hear No Tickets To The Funeral. Having lost many people in my life to cancer, this got to me the first time very much. Like the aforementioned Recreation Day, this album starts off being so depressing and by the end gives you all the hope in the world. Based on True events from Guitarist, Nick Van Dyk beating Blood Cancer. This album takes you through hell and back and never lets go. Plus Ray Adler kicks ass on it. Check this out for one of the best Prog Metal albums in the longest time.

9.) Novembers Doom- Aphotic

It's not too often that a Doom Metal or Death Metal album will make it in my top 10. Top 20, yes but top 10 is rare. There has to be something that grabs me and never lets go. That's exactly what Aphotic Did for me. Novembers Doom's best album to date. It is much proggier then their previous work, but also contains elements of great acoustic work, and one of the most killer blues inspired solos in one of my favorite songs of 2011, Buried. If you are new to Death or Doom Metal and need an album to break yourself in, Get Aphotic. It will change your world for the better!

8.) Scale The Summit- The Collective

BEST INSTRUMENTAL ALBUM IN OVER A DECADE! quote me on that in any way you want. This album has everything that I'm looking for in an instrumental album. Melodic, Heavy, Emotional driven, and Beautiful. A major departure from their 2 previous album. The Collective is a very dark album using minor scales 9AKA sad sounding scales for you non music nerds) and has some of their best songs they have written including Origin Of Species, Whales, and the most perfect ending song Drifting Figures. If you think all music needs to have a singer to be any good, first, go fuck yourself, and second get your head out of your ass and start appreciating some real talent. A great place to start is Scale The Summit.

7.) Iced Earth- Dystopia

Iced Earth has come back bigger and stronger then ever. When I first heard Matt Barlow was leaving the band, AGAIN, my heart sank. Matt Barlow is one of my favorite singers of all time and the thought of anyone replacing him again was unimaginable....until Stu Block, formerly of Into Eternity, was chosen by Jon Schaffer to blow all of the doubters away. And GOD DAMN he really did. I was a huge Into Eternity fan, but a much bigger Iced Earth fan, so this pleased me very much. The entire album is a loose concept about the way of the world of government is slowly becoming using various movies to landscape the idea. While the music is obviously...Iced Earth. It is badass. Anthem, really truly is their Anthem. It saddens me that they are not going to be able to make it to Minnesota in 2012 (SOMEBODY PLEASE CHANGE THIS!) but I really want to see this lineup in Iced earth stick. They are too incredible to have it fall apart. and Dystopia shows this pint very damn well.

6.) 3- The Ghost You Gave To Me

3 is the King's X of Prog Metal. They are the best band that deserves to be heard...that is not. They are also 4 of the coolest dudes I've ever had the pleasure of hanging out with. I got into 3 when Wake Pig was released and fell in Love, The End Is Begun made me a lifetime fan, and The Ghost You Gave To Me made me one of their forever diehard fans. The song, Only Child is easily the best song they have ever written. I hate using the term, but there's no other way to describe it. it's EPIC!!! The whole album is filled ids Prog Rock and Prog Metal masterpieces. I will do anything I can to support these guys in any way I can. They deserve it, and if 3 comes you way GO SEE THEM LIVE, it will easily be one of, if not the best live show you will ever see!

5.) Revocation- Chaos Of Forms

This band, along with Vektor are the bands that are saving metal, in my humble opinion. Taking Thrash Metal and adding so much more to it. Funk, Death Metal, 70's Prog. Chaos Of Forms is utter perfection. While the vocals are definitely a Death Metal/Thrash style (No cleans here, not even on their cover of Faith No More's Surprise! You're Dead!) The music will win you over if you are a true music fan The title track and The Watchers are the best examples of this. There's not too much more I can say other then, if you want Thrash to actually be something more then PBR, Alcohol-Driven Dudefest...check out Revocation.

4.) Dream Theater- A Dramatic Turn Of Events

Probably the most controversial album in Prog in 2011. The first album without Bandleader Mike Portnoy behind the drums. While I'll leave out the politics about that situation. I will say this album is absolutely perfection. The whole album reminds me of Images And Words, not necessarily muscially but the overall feel, a rebirth if you will. Breaking All Illusions is one of the best songs ever made by DT without question. Top 10 for sure. And Mike Mangini is the perfect replacement for Mike Portnoy. On the first listen I closed my eyes and I honestly couldn't even tell Portnoy was out of the band. Mangini fits right in. And this album is 9 killer songs of Progressive Rock and Metal that deserves a fair shot. No matter what side you are on..... Fuck Politics and enjoy the music!

3.) Mastodon- The Hunter

Mastodon has only gotten better and better with every release, kinda like Between The Buried and Me. Crack The Skye is their Colors. The Hunter is their The Great Great Misdirect. Some are torn because it's not Crack The Skye pt. 2. I for one think it's a more concise, stripped down version of Crack The Skye. Shorter songs, heavier, and just as memorable. I will go on record saying Creature Lives is one of their best songs just because of how out in left field it is. Stargasm is my absolute favorite off the album. I'm actually pretty shocked it hasn't been played live yet. Then again This Mortal Soil was the best song off Blood Mountain, and that has never been played live. But regardless. this is as close to Mainstream Progressive Metal as a band is going to get without sucking, you better enjoy it. haha

2.) Daniel Jakubovic- Elef Kirot

The best damn album I have ever heard where I couldn't understand one word that is being sung. That shows how meaningless the lyrics are if the music behind it can tell the story. (The lyrics are in Hebrew by the way) Daniel Jakubovic recorded EVERYTHING on this album with exception to some violin and sax solos provided by his father. This is an album that was meant for me when I was 14 years old. The perfect combination of Progressive Rock, Progressive Metal and Pop Rock, with international influences. Please. Please.....PLEASE!!!! do yourself a favor and go to the bandcamp page for Danial Jakubovic and listen to this album...then immediately buy it. It is sooooo worth it. This is meant for real music fans!

1.) Devin Townsend- Deconstruction *South Park Doctor Voice*- "Who didn't see this one coming a mile away huh folks?"

Yes without question, Deconstruction is my absolute favorite album of 2011. If not the best Metal album ever made (although my favorite album will forever be Terria, although with the description of Epicloud, that just might win me over to put it at number 2) This album literally has EVERYTHING a Metal fan is looking for, every genre of Metal you can think of. It's Strapping Young Lad meets Frank Zappa. All of the guest stars on this album are also showing their true appreciation for the man known as Hevy Devy. The Mighty Masturbator (No pervs, it's not about that) is 16 minutes of epic proportions. and Poltergeist is the perfect ending to the chapter of SYL style music. Am I sad it's gone? kinda. But I'm a bigger Dev solo fan then SYL, so more HEVY DEVY please! IF you need an absolute mindfuck from beginning to end. This album is for you. If you want a Metal album that is what Metal is all albout (good and bad), this album is for you. If you want the greatest thing Dev has ever written musically, lyrically, and overall ball out crazy and beautiful. THIS ALBUM IS FOR YOU!

And that's all folks. My top 20 of 2011. Thank you all for checking it out, and let me know what you think. My top 20 show will be played on W3rd Radio during its special New Years show, all 2 and half hours of the top 20 of 2011 from your truly.

What else do I have going on for 2012? I have my metal band finishing up it's writing process for a sets worth of music and hopefully be playing shows sometime in 2012.

I have W3rd Radio every Tuesday Night at 9pm central, and hopefully if it all works out The Root Of All Evil on KFAI on a somewhat regular basis (however that turns out, I feel honored just to be able to do even this one show coming up on Saturday night)

And of course I'll be going out to shows and supporting the best music possible.

So thanks again for checking this out,. So, have a Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, a Kwaazy Kwanza, a Tip-Top Tet, and a Solemn, dignified, Ramadan.

And of course a Great 2012!

larvtard
12-20-2011, 06:24 PM
The chorus of Cradle Robber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zB6di2yR4) has clean vocals...

BloodoftheKings
12-20-2011, 06:29 PM
If not the best Metal album ever made

Woah, that's a bold statement. I don't think there's anything wrong with that opinion but I didn't write that Mastodon is one of the greatest metal bands of all time in my Hunter review out of fear of getting flamed. :lol:

MPF
12-20-2011, 06:34 PM
The chorus of Cradle Robber (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zB6di2yR4) has clean vocals...

Thanks guy!

Woah, that's a bold statement. I don't think there's anything wrong with that opinion but I didn't write that Mastodon is one of the greatest metal bands of all time in my Hunter review out of fear of getting flamed. :lol:

Well you wouldn't be wrong either. The Hunter is fucking fantastic, that's why it is number 3 for me, beating out my favorite band of all time, Dream Theater. That says something. :rocker:

MPF
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
2 people commented on the top 10 of my list. Where the fuck is everyone?

IrritatedTrout
12-21-2011, 02:19 AM
This Mortal Soil was played on the first legs of the Blood Mountain tour according to setlist.fm.

MPF
12-21-2011, 02:21 AM
This Mortal Soil was played on the first legs of the Blood Mountain tour according to setlist.fm.

I'm actually relived to hear that. I heard from more Die-hard Mastodon fans then me, that it was never played. Its a great song. It should be played again.

mastodon421
12-21-2011, 04:39 AM
I'm actually relived to hear that. I heard from more Die-hard Mastodon fans then me, that it was never played. Its a great song. It should be played again.

I saw them play it the first time I saw them in 2007, So I can confirm that it has been played live.

slapguitarer
12-21-2011, 11:44 AM
The only albums I really like from your top 10 are Mastodon and Revocation. I couldn't get into Deconstruction or The Collective much :/

MPF
12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
The only albums I really like from your top 10 are Mastodon and Revocation. I couldn't get into Deconstruction or The Collective much :/

Sounds like you are missing out on 6 other albums. ;)

slapguitarer
12-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Sounds like you are missing out on 6 other albums. ;)

Well the other six aren't worth my time. ;)

MPF
12-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Well the other six aren't worth my time. ;)

Yeah, I suppose that would cut into your Squirtle Porn time. :D

Akumu
12-21-2011, 01:44 PM
I finally got around to playing the new Redemption the other day and as soon as the last song finished, I started it again from the beginning. It's really great. :fist:

Gonna check out the Novembers Doom based on your list, thanks!

MPF
12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
I finally got around to playing the new Redemption the other day and as soon as the last song finished, I started it again from the beginning. It's really great. :fist:

Gonna check out the Novembers Doom based on your list, thanks!

Not a problem. I'm glad your digging it :fist:

Rocco44
12-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Good to see Scale The Summit and Novembers Doom getting some love. Underrated albums for sure. Kind of funny that the one doom record in your top 50 might not crack my top 10 doom releases of this year. But I guess it makes sense since your're not a big fan of the genre.

MPF
12-22-2011, 01:30 AM
Good to see Scale The Summit and Novembers Doom getting some love. Underrated albums for sure. Kind of funny that the one doom record in your top 50 might not crack my top 10 doom releases of this year. But I guess it makes sense since your're not a big fan of the genre.

It varies. I like Doom, just not top 50 albums much. Like Grindcore, its gotta knock me on my ass and have some good dynamics for me to really appreciate it. But to be completely honest. The 7 albums that I mentioned in the top of this thread that were disappointing were the only albums I heard this year that I wouldn't go back to. Everything else was enjoyable to come back to.

The top 55 are more of the albums I had time to really divulge in and appreciate.