PDA

View Full Version : GarageMetal468's top live bands of 2011

GarageMetal468
11-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Since I'm WAY too lazy to go through all the albums released this year and rank them (I don't think I actually have a #1, let alone a top 5) I may as well go ahead and rank the bands I saw this year. This isn't shows/gigs, this is the bands themselves since we all know Maryland Deathfest would be #1 if I were raking shows. I'm still putting the list together and ranking them, but I'll tell you now that there's gonna be a lot.

I do have one more show this year that I plan on going to, which is Macabre at the end of December, but they won't be on here for reasons that I will explain very shortly.

Some notes:

I am NOT including bands I saw previous years ago. This list will only contain bands that I've seen live for the first time this year. Seeing as how I've gone to the most shows this year out of any other year, there's a lot I've seen for the first time.

So, bands that would not be included in this case are:

Macabre
The Black Dahlia Murder
Dying Fetus
Toxic Holocaust
Ensiferum
Hate Eternal
Origin
Vital Remains
Devin Townsend
Warbringer
Goatwhore
Enslaved
Immolation
Forbidden

The amount of bands and the first batch of them will come later tonight...

GarageMetal468
11-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Alright, got the list finalized. Changes might happen in the middle but at least I got the top and bottom few set. There are going to be 40 bands on this list. #40 coming soon!

I am also gonna be doing a certain format for this, as shown below:

Band Name

*Band Picture*

Date(s) seen:

Keep in mind that all the bands on here were amazing live, so no band was worse than the other. This is all in my opinion and personal view as well.

GarageMetal468
11-30-2011, 02:49 PM

Mammoth Grinder

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/5/4/0/3540294181_photo.jpg

Dates seen: January 8th, 2011 and May 28th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

Fun fact: They were the very first band of the year I saw!

This was at a free Scion sponsored even featuring these guys opening, followed by Black Breath and then Trap Them playing last. If I were to describe Mammoth Grinder, I would describe them as a more punk version of Entombed. These guys are very solid live. Lots of energy and they don't stop for anything. You'll be banging your head the entire time they're playing. I also saw them at Maryland Deathfest later in the year where they did a great cover of Venom's Welcome to Hell!

jhdeity
11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
cool will have to check em out

larvtard
11-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Mammoth Grinder

This was at a free Scion sponsored even featuring these guys opening, followed by Black Breath and then Trap Them playing last. If I were to describe Mammoth Grinder, I would describe them as a more punk version of Entombed. These guys are very solid live. Lots of energy and they don't stop for anything. You'll be banging your head the entire time they're playing. I also saw them at Maryland Deathfest later in the year where they did a great cover of Venom's Welcome to Hell!

Mammoth Grinder is great. Sucks that they dropped off the Miasmal tour, I'm sure they'd be absolutely crushing in a live setting.

Also, curious to see where Trap Them and Black Breath end up.

metallicbrian666
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
ABRB will be number one

BRING DUH MUDDA FUKIN RUCKUS :rocker::rocker::rocker:

GarageMetal468
11-30-2011, 02:54 PM
ABRB will be number one

BRING DUH MUDDA FUKIN RUCKUS :rocker::rocker::rocker:

AWWWWWWW YEAH

Throwin down that change

GarageMetal468
11-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Obscura

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/3/1/0/63100_photo.jpg?3142

Date seen: July 6th, 2011

I had been wanting to see Obscura for over 2 years until when I did see them. I couldn't make it when they came with The Black Dahlia Murder and Augury last year but luckily I made it to their tour with Children of Bodom. I don't know why, but I underestimate tech death bands live a lot. These guys can fucking shred, big time. They played a short set since they were one of the openers on the tour which blew but the songs that they did play were flawless if I've ever seen it before. Unfortunately their sound was REALLY muggy when they were playing but other than that, the actual performance was amazing. I wanted to go to their headlining tour earlier this month but couldn't make it since it was on a weekday and I was an hour and a half away from the place where it was at. There's always the future, though. I'd definitely see these guys again.

GarageMetal468
11-30-2011, 05:46 PM

Kylesa

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/9/8/6/19861_photo.jpg

Date seen: May 27th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

I was surprised at how good Kylesa were live, especially since I hadn't listened to much of their material beforehand. One of my friends who I went with to MDF is a big fan of them and of course wanted to see them, so I figured I'd join him since they were starting right after Neurosis finished that night. Again, I did not expect them to be as good as they were! They all have a ton of energy on stage and are all very talented at what they do. The 2 drummers do help define their sound and music and they were both spot on live. I'd really like them to tour the U.S. soon, they are most definitely worth seeing again.

christopher
11-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Mammoth Grinder

Mammoth Grinder is awesome live!! I've seen them twice now. Once with Hatred Surge and once with Weekend Nachos and Low Threat Profile. I like it when they tour with Hatred Surge so they can do the split sets since they are the same band.

slapguitarer
11-30-2011, 06:44 PM

Kylesa

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/9/8/6/19861_photo.jpg

I was surprised at how good Kylesa were live, especially since I hadn't listened to much of their material beforehand. One of my friends who I went with to MDF is a big fan of them and of course wanted to see them, so I figured I'd join him since they were starting right after Neurosis finished that night. Again, I did not expect them to be as good as they were! They all have a ton of energy on stage and are all very talented at what they do. The 2 drummers do help define their sound and music and they were both spot on live. I'd really like them to tour the U.S. soon, they are most definitely worth seeing again.

Nice choice! I saw 'em back in 2009 opening for Mastodon and they were great. :rocker: :party:

GarageMetal468
12-01-2011, 05:20 AM

Witchaven

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/8/2/5/2/82522_photo.jpg

Date seen: May 21st, 2011

Now this band was a fun one to see! I'm sure I've mentioned this show on here many times, but Witchaven and Nocturnal played in a DIY room/shack behind a Mexican restaurant in Chicago near the end of May. This show to this day is still legendary and always will be. It was hot as hell inside the place and even under those conditions Witchaven still pulled out a hell of a set and show. I know they love DIY venues and shows so you can tell they were having a fun time as well. Sucks I had to miss them at MDF since they were the very first band of the first day since they would be awesome to see in an actual venue, but I'm very happy with seeing them when I did. I actually did meet one of the guys from the band at MDF (complimented me on my Testament shirt :rocker: ) and he told me that he even loved that show. They're supposed to be touring again with Exmortus, so hopefully that means another show like the one mentioned here.

smearCampaign
12-01-2011, 05:51 AM

Mammoth Grinder

Austin in the house :rocker:

I've seen these guys no less than 3 times this year. Always a treat.

The rest of your list is really solid so far. Keep it up.

GarageMetal468
12-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Hooded Menace

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/1/2/4/112466_photo.jpg?0952

Date seen: May 28th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

I love me some death doom, and Hooded Menace delivers! Incredibly heavy band live. I think they were the only band at MDF where there wasn't moshing because they were so slow and everyone was occupied with headbanging. But needless to say, everyone definitely enjoyed them, myself included. I'm glad they were inside after the headliners late at night, that fit perfectly. I'd love to see these guys again, preferably when I'm not completely intoxicated like when I did the first time :hecho:

GarageMetal468
12-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Trap Them

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/5/4/0/3540267275_photo.jpg

Date seen: January 8th, 2011

These guys were headlining the first (also free) show of the year that I went to with Black Breath and Mammoth Grinder. I had never listened to Trap Them before, and I was supposed to see them with The Black Dahlia Murder and Skeletonwitch a little over 2 years ago but I guess they dropped the show. Anyway, never had listened to Trap Them before, didn't know what to expect, but as you can guess they were great! They had a fuck ton of energy on stage and had the crowd going nuts! Because the show was at Reggies in Chicago, people couldn't stage dive but I could imagine how that would go if it was permitted... CRAZY! I still haven't gotten around to checking out their material but I can say that they were one of the coolest bands I saw this year.

larvtard
12-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Surprised Witchaven isn't MUCH higher!

GarageMetal468
12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Surprised Witchaven isn't MUCH higher!

Doesn't help that I can barely remember their set, but from what I do remember, it was awesome! Nocturnal would be on here.... if I actually remembered their performance! :hecho:

GarageMetal468
12-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Rotting Christ

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/1/4/314_photo.jpg

Date seen: March 19th, 2011

Being a big fan of Rotting Christ's interesting music and them being from the country that my mother is from (Greece), there was no excuse for me not to see them back in March. Although I thought they were upstaged by a certain band on that lineup, Rotting Christ still put on a fantastic show. Everything that you've ever heard studio-wise was enhanced by their incredible live performance. They played a variety of their material for a little over an hour and blew everyone away. I also met their frontman, Sakis, before the show and he was surprised yet happy to know that my mother is from Greece and that I was half Greek. Very nice guy. They were even more appreciative when I pulled out the big Greek flag I had during their set!

larvtard
12-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Doesn't help that I can barely remember their set, but from what I do remember, it was awesome! Nocturnal would be on here.... if I actually remembered their performance! :hecho:

:nonono: Being drunk at shows is fun, but c'mon man, you have to remember the performance the next day!

And I'm assuming you mean Melechesh as the band who upstaged Rotting Christ. Fuck yeah. I didn't even stay for Rotting Christ :lol:

dcmetal108
12-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Really enjoying reading this. Keep it up!

GarageMetal468
12-01-2011, 03:01 PM
:nonono: Being drunk at shows is fun, but c'mon man, you have to remember the performance the next day!

And I'm assuming you mean Melechesh as the band who upstaged Rotting Christ. Fuck yeah. I didn't even stay for Rotting Christ :lol:

lol not if you're as drunk as I was at that show...

And yeah you're right about Melechesh. I'd be lying if I said fuckin Abigail Williams was better than Rotting Christ :lol: But you should've stayed for RC, they were really good.

larvtard
12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
lol not if you're as drunk as I was at that show...

And yeah you're right about Melechesh. I'd be lying if I said fuckin Abigail Williams was better than Rotting Christ :lol: But you should've stayed for RC, they were really good.

Never really gotten into Rotting Christ, figured their performance wouldn't have converted me. Maybe I was wrong...

GarageMetal468
12-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Ghoul

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/7/1/671_photo.JPG

Date seen: October 31st, 2011

Ghoul are another one of those bands that I've been waiting to see forever now. I do believe that this was their first time in Chicago so I'm glad I got to see them then, who knows when they will come back! They were the first band on the GWAR tour, so naturally their set wasn't very long. But for what it was, it was all I expected it to be: AWESOME. They played fast, heavy and all around intense. A big part of why they were awesome live was when they played Graveyard Mosh/Ghoul. That is one of my favorite Ghoul songs ever, and to actually hear something from their incredible first album is a gift. I also overheard a lot of people saying that that song was their favorite from them as well, which I was happy to hear. I'm very much looking forward to seeing them again at MDF next year, hopefully with a longer set or more songs from the first 2 albums.

GarageMetal468
12-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Revocation

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/7/8/1/0/78107_photo.jpg?4221

Date seen: June 21st, 2011

I had wanted to see Revocation last year with Misery Index... but with Despised Icon as the headliner and the date of the show being inconvenient from what I remember, I couldn't make it. Luckily this year they had came back supporting Forbidden. I had seen Forbidden last year and they put on a great show, but the main reason I went was for Revocation. I'm going to be honest, they were definitely the best band of the night. They even upstaged Forbidden! These guys are fucking monsters at their instruments. Hell, I'd even say that over half the people at the show were there for Revocation! They only played 6 songs, 2 from each of their 3 albums they have out now (this was before Chaos of Forms was released as well) but those were some damn good 6 songs. They've gotten REALLY big recently so hopefully they'll be going through on a headlining run, or supporting better bands (lol Children of Bodom and Eluveitie... no thanks!)

GarageMetal468
12-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Cannabis Corpse

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/8/4/3/4/84344_photo.jpg

Date seen: October 29th, 2011

When I heard that these guys were gonna be touring with The Black Dahlia Murder, I was seriously hoping that they would hit up the coffee house in the town where I go to school (basically bumfuck nowhere) again, since TBDM has been there for the past 2 Octobers. Unfortunately they weren't going anywhere near there or Illinois in general, but Cannabis Corpse did have a one off headlining show in Chicago! These guys are extremely talented musicians, you'd really think they were a gimmick at first by the name and song titles, but hell no! These guys play fucking quality death metal and have an awesome live show! The way they did play live reminded me of Cannibal Corpse in some ways, such as the singer announcing every song title before they played, but not headbanging like a maniac throughout the whole time! But they still kill live and to see a headlining set from them was amazing.

larvtard
12-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Revocation are fucking amazing live. And I'd love to see Cannabis Corpse; they're better than most death metal bands today yet they're a "joke" band.

BloodoftheKings
12-02-2011, 12:32 PM
And I'd love to see Cannabis Corpse; they're better than most death metal bands today yet they're a "joke" band.

The whole joke band label is fuckin stupid. I think Tenacious D and Green Jelly probably deserve the label but just cause a band has humorous lyrics they shouldn't be dismissed as nothing but a joke and have their music be ignored. In my opinion Cannabis Corpse, Gwar, Ghoul, and Dethklok all make awesome music but some assholes think less of them just cause they have a gimmick and a sense of humor. I also don't get why many bands get dismissed for being humorous but people take Devin Townsend seriously when he makes whole concept albums about an alien terrorizing earth in search of black coffee and a man who turns away a cheeseburger that contains the secrets of the universe because he's a vegetarian.

GarageMetal468
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Cross Examination

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/8/6/9/58694_photo.jpg

Dates seen: March 26th, 2011, June 28th, 2011

The show that Cross Examination headlined was one that will go down forever in the Chicago thrash scene. My friend who promotes/books shows managed to get these guys to headline a show called "Klash of the Thrash" which also had 5 other local thrash/crossover bands playing. That was more than a show, that was a real fucking party. Every frat party I had ever been to in college can suck a monster one, because this is what parties should be like. People going crazy, drinking excessively, and all around having an awesome time. Unfortunately, I couldn't drink because I had drove there since I had no other way, but I made sure to take care of that issue when Nocturnal and Witchaven came through 2 months later. But Cross Examination was a great choice for a headliner. They played very fast and had the crowd going nuts for them. I also saw them again open up for Sacred Reich in June where they also had the place going nuts. They also did a sick cover of S.O.D.'s Kill Yourself! Chicago has been trying to get these guys back again very desperately because they are the perfect party band.

larvtard
12-02-2011, 12:46 PM
The whole joke band label is fuckin stupid. I think Tenacious D and Green Jelly probably deserve the label but just cause a band has humorous lyrics they shouldn't be dismissed as nothing but a joke and have their music be ignored. In my opinion Cannabis Corpse, Gwar, Ghoul, and Dethklok all make awesome music but some assholes think less of them just cause they have a gimmick and a sense of humor. I also don't get why many bands get dismissed for being humorous but people take Devin Townsend seriously when he makes whole concept albums about an alien terrorizing earth in search of black coffee and a man who turns away a cheeseburger that contains the secrets of the universe because he's a vegetarian.

Hence the quotes I put in around joke.

BloodoftheKings
12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Hence the quotes I put in around joke.

I know what you meant, I wasn't arguing with you.

GarageMetal468
12-02-2011, 10:12 PM

Cathedral

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/1/0/7/1107_photo.jpg

Date seen: May 26th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

My friends and I had gotten to Maryland at about 5 PM if I remember correctly. It was a 13 hour drive, we barely slept and of course, we were all exhausted as hell. Yet we still managed to check out a couple bands after we got settled at the hotel. A couple hours later, we decided, fuck it, we're gonna nap for a couple hours. I managed to sleep through my alarm but luckily my friend's went off and he woke me up so we could see Cathedral, who were on at midnight. Me, him and my other friend managed to be awake and go, while the other 2 with us couldn't wake up. Sucks for them, because they missed out big time. After a hilarious encounter with some people on the way from the hotel to the venue, we witnessed a legendary doom metal band's last ever performance in the United States. And let me tell you, it was a hell of a way to go out. They played material from all over their discography, but naturally, the best song by far in that set was Ebony Tears. GOD FUCKING DAMN that had to be one of the heaviest songs I have ever seen and heard live. You'd think that with the drive just hours before and the minimal sleep I'd be falling asleep for their set... HELL NO! These guys were so good that I managed to be awake the entire time. About 10 hours of sleep followed their epic set and their departure from the U.S. forever. It really sucks that they're breaking up but they went out with a bang, for sure.

GarageMetal468
12-03-2011, 07:34 AM

Rotten Sound

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/9/2/7/2927_photo.jpg

Date seen: February 19th, 2011

There are some bands that don't fit on a tour, those bands are usually the ones that suck (hey Blackguard!!!). Not for this one! Who would've imagined Rotten Sound touring with folk metal bands? I can guarantee you that NO ONE would ever predict that. But that doesn't matter because with these crazy Finnish grinders, they made the tour a shit ton better and a big reason for why I went. With a little over half an hour to play, Rotten Sound pumped out tons of fast paced songs. Thankfully the crowd really liked them, some people there just for them as well. I mean, I was there for Ensiferum as well, but to see Rotten Sound live really made my decision to go worth it. I forgot to add, this show was a last minute decision... It was either this or go to my cousin's birthday party... Rotten Sound it is!

GarageMetal468
12-03-2011, 11:32 AM

Black Breath

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/5/4/0/3540278794_photo.jpg

Date seen: January 8th, 2011

Black Breath are the 3rd and final band on this list of the free Scion sponsored show I saw at the beginning of the year. They were the 2nd band of the 3 bands to play and I honestly thought that these guys were the best. They had SO MUCH energy up there, getting the crowd going and playing both fast and heavy. Their stage presence reminded me a lot of Unearth's when I saw them 2 years ago, which, of course, is a good thing! I've been dying to see these guys again since then, but they haven't been back as far as I know. Sucks, because these guys are definitely worth seeing!

metallicbrian666
12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Oh my god worst fucking list ever, I swear to Robb if there's five more posts without MF fucking H I will blow up a hospital full of Mastodon and Giant Squid fans. Sexually.

GarageMetal468
12-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Landmine Marathon

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/rsz_Landmine-Marathon-1-photo-credit-Jeremiah-Cooper.jpg

Date seen: October 27th, 2011

I originally wasn't planning on going to the Warbringer tour this year because I had seen them 3 times before, and if I were to go the only interest would be for Landmine Marathon only. Well, I figured I'd make my end of October show streak 5 in a row and go anyway, and I must say, it was an excellent decision! Landmine Marathon definitely killed it as expected! They had came to a bar 2 years ago with Skeletonwitch, but of course, the bar was 21+ only (and cause Skeletonwitch was playing :bouville: ) so this would probably be the only time I would be seeing Landmine Marathon for a while. As you all probably know, they put on a crazy show. Grace Perry is a nutcase on stage, yet really, really cool in person off stage. The rest of the band are very talented at what they do and help make an awesome live sound. It's a shame that the crowd wasn't into them as much as me and like 5 others were, but that didn't stop them from putting on a sick show.

GarageMetal468
12-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Lich King

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/7/5/4/2/75426_photo.jpg

Date seen: August 19th, 2011

I'll be honest here: Lich King are pretty generic thrash. But, unlike some generic thrash, these guys can play live. Actually, let me say that differently, THESE GUYS CAN FUCKING SHRED LIVE. I didn't really bother checking out a ton of their material before I saw them open up for Diamond Plate's album release show since I heard one song and thought "damn this is generic". But I decided to watch them and hot damn, these guys put on one HELL of a live show! They play fast and heavy non stop throughout their set. The sound and intensity was just amazing! I honestly didn't expect them to be that good. But instead, they blew me out of the water and I actually did get around to checking out some of their material, and while it may be generic I do like it. They also had 2 of the guys from Mantic Ritual on bass and guitar, so maybe that could've helped the sound? Who knows, they were still awesome! Hopefully they can come back to Chicago sometime soon, I know they loved it here.

metallicbrian666
12-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Lich King better than Landmine? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

GarageMetal468
12-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Lich King better than Landmine? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

They were both great but Lich King surprised me a lot

GarageMetal468
12-04-2011, 09:25 AM

Alcest

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/9/7/0/19701_photo.jpg

Date seen: October 2nd, 2011

Whoever thought of putting these guys with Enslaved on a tour is awesome. Those 2 were great that night, but Alcest were just phenomenal to me. They had a dark atmosphere going on throughout their set, and the darker blue lights in the background really added to it. The sound was excellent, and the clean vocals sounded great, especially since I was in front of the guitarist who was doing some of them! But my favorite part of the performance were Neige's black metal vocals for Percées De Lumière. OH MY GOD. They were just perfect. That song had to be one of the best songs I have ever seen live. I was listening to it nonstop for days afterwards. The only problem with them is that their set got cut short (Thanks, Bottom Lounge! :bigfinger ) so they couldn't play Le Secret, but the rest of the songs were nice to hear, so I can't really complain about the set list. But other than that, Alcest were incredible live and I look forward to seeing them headline (hopefully) next year like they said they would!

treghet
12-04-2011, 09:29 AM

Rotten Sound

Date seen: February 19th, 2011

There are some bands that don't fit on a tour, those bands are usually the ones that suck (hey Blackguard!!!). Not for this one! Who would've imagined Rotten Sound touring with folk metal bands? I can guarantee you that NO ONE would ever predict that. But that doesn't matter because with these crazy Finnish grinders, they made the tour a shit ton better and a big reason for why I went. With a little over half an hour to play, Rotten Sound pumped out tons of fast paced songs. Thankfully the crowd really liked them, some people there just for them as well. I mean, I was there for Ensiferum as well, but to see Rotten Sound live really made my decision to go worth it. I forgot to add, this show was a last minute decision... It was either this or go to my cousin's birthday party... Rotten Sound it is!

They really kicked ass on that tour. I hope they come back soon.

GarageMetal468
12-04-2011, 09:31 AM
They really kicked ass on that tour. I hope they come back soon.

That they did, and I hope they do as well. Seeing their frontman with Nasum at MDF next year will be awesome but I'm hoping they can also get Rotten Sound on there as well in case another band drops.

slapguitarer
12-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Oh my god worst fucking list ever, I swear to Robb if there's five more posts without MF fucking H I will blow up a hospital full of Mastodon and Giant Squid fans. Sexually.

comeatmebro.jpg

GarageMetal468
12-04-2011, 10:31 PM

Nunslaughter

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/9/2/592_photo.jpg

Kind of crazy to believe that Nunslaughter has been around since 1989 or so but are now getting attention... I guess the singer finally decided to put more effort into it in the past decade or so. Anyway, these guys were one of my favorites at MDF this past year. It's like a grindcore experience but with death metal. Nunslaughter have really short songs yet all of them have great quality in their own way. Because the production isn't exactly top notch on their albums, seeing them live made them so much more better. These guys are energetic as all hell, and funny! Their drummer is one of the most upbeat, entertaining people I've ever seen live. "WHAT DO WE WANT TO DO MDF?!" "RAID THE CONVENT!!!" Lots of good times during their set alone. Someone actually brought a bible and everyone started ripping it up and burning it during their set! Not gonna lie, they couldn't have picked a more perfect band to do that for! But back on track, it sucks that I had to miss them when they came to Chicago in July because it was 21+, but hopefully they will be back in the near future because I would love to see them again.

GarageMetal468
12-05-2011, 07:03 AM

Magrudergrind

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/3312669/Magrudergrind+l_92f2869094c2f59d5c7bb50b3662.jpg

Date seen: April 9th, 2011

Saw these guys at another Scion sponsored free show in April with Mind Eraser and Noisear. As you can guess, Magrudergrind stole the show with their crazy antics and music. As everyone knows, they only play 15 minute sets, which is what they did as usual. But those 15 minutes were just nuts. A lot of people were just going full out crazy for them. I remember this one guy had 666 and an inverted cross written on his chest in marker and he was doing bear walks and frog leaps and shit the entire show! It was more funny than annoying since he wasn't really bothering anyone physically. But, my favorite part of Magrudergrind's set was at the end when the singer told everyone to stage dive. Now, as you have probably heard, Reggie's does not allow stage diving at all. Seeing like 40 people getting on stage and jumping off with only a few security guards there was a sight to never be forgotten! It's safe to say that Reggie's got owned that day :D

GarageMetal468
12-05-2011, 10:16 AM

Absu

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/1/41_photo.jpg?0041

Date seen: February 22nd, 2011

When I saw Absu was the support for Immortal on their very short U.S. tour in the winter, I thought, "oh cool, they should be nice." Oh how my expectations were blown away. In all honesty, these guys, no doubt about it, upstaged Immortal live when I saw them. There were only 3 of them on stage at the time (can't remember now if it's 3 or 4 people playing live, it seems to always change, but in this case it's 3) and they could all rip on their instruments. Especially their drummer/vocalist, Proscriptor. Holy fuck that guy is a nutcase. To add to that, his crazy speeches in between songs were hilarious yet he manages to do it without creating any awkwardness towards himself or the band. I'm very happy these guys got added to MDF next year because I am most definitely looking forward to seeing them again.

larvtard
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Yeah, Proscriptor was pretty funny, as everything he said was in his high black metal voice. It seemed cheesy but I dunno.

Also, Black Breath fucking rips live!

GarageMetal468
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, Proscriptor was pretty funny, as everything he said was in his high black metal voice. It seemed cheesy but I dunno.

Also, Black Breath fucking rips live!

I think he knows it's cheesy, he just wants to entertain the crowd with some MYTHOLOGIC OCCULT BLACK METAL as he said a bunch of times during the set.

Anyway, I'm gonna post #20 now. We're halfway through the list. After #20 I'm gonna post some bands that didn't make it/disappointed with this year.

GarageMetal468
12-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Neurosis

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/0/60_photo.jpg

Neurosis headlined the 2nd day of MDF this year. I'm glad they did, because they played at the perfect time on the perfect day, which I will get to shortly. I really wish these guys would tour more because their live show is an experience. As soon as they started, I smelled pot smoke right away! Figured that would be the right band to do it for. Their music live is just mind blowing and very atmospheric. They also had a projector in the background playing various images to go with the music.

Now, they played at the perfect time on the perfect day because right before they were gonna set up, it started down pouring rain, very hard, but luckily for only 10 minutes or so. They had to set up late because of it, but still managed to play their entire set about 20 minutes after their scheduled time. Now, with the rain completely stopped and not to return at all for the remainder of the night (or festival days!), there was still a lightning storm going on in the background. So, seeing Neurosis and having this crazy lightning show going on in the background (unplanned, I may add) just added to the overall awesomeness of their performance. Neurosis were another one of my favorites there because of all this.

GarageMetal468
12-06-2011, 07:09 AM
So now for a special halfway segment...

Bands that disappointed me!

These are some of the most disappointing bands I saw live this year. Most, if not all of them are ones that I was excited to see but was let down by. Here we go...

Coroner

I think we all know this one was coming first... One of my favorite bands, EVER, and I was so excited to see them, I skipped a good portion of Nuclear Assault's set at MDF just so I could get up front (and eventually on the rail, center stage!) Only to be let down. I can't really blame them because they quit music for like 15 years, but they should've gotten it together before playing. Their set was terrible. I mean, 3 songs each from No More Color and Mental Vortex were awesome, but 1 song each from the first 2, slowed down? And the rest from Grin? Ugh...... I'm grateful now that I saw them because they may never be back, but from watching videos of them live from the early 90s, they've taken a turn for the worst when playing live.

Immortal

Who would've thought that Immortal would be back in Chicago for a 6 date tour? I was really excited to see them because, well, they're Immortal. Legendary Norwegian black metal band! Except they weren't very good. I wasn't kidding when I said that Absu upstaged them. Immortal's sound was awful. It was muggy as all hell. And the fog machine, GOD DAMN. I couldn't see anything, at all! I guess part of this could be blamed on the Bottom Lounge but Absu had no problems at all, so I guess this was Immortal's doing.

Finntroll

Dear Christ these guys were HORRIBLE. Even though I saw them 3 days before Immortal, their sound was so much worse than Immortal's. I couldn't even tell what was going on. There was no energy on stage and everything just sounded like a mess. I guess it's hard to top playing after Ensiferum and Rotten Sound, but these guys were just awful. My friends agreed and we left about 5 songs in.

Alestorm

These guys were the least worst band on here that I saw, but a LOT of the blame is towards the Bottom Lounge for this one. The guitar kept cutting out throughout the entire set and like half the time there would be no guitarist on stage. Like I've said before, the Bottom Lounge treats openers like shit, because when Kamelot came on, they sounded a lot better. Hopefully Alestorm will sound better when I see them in April at Reggies.

Epidemic Reign
12-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Alestorm

These guys were the least worst band on here that I saw, but a LOT of the blame is towards the Bottom Lounge for this one. The guitar kept cutting out throughout the entire set and like half the time there would be no guitarist on stage. Like I've said before, the Bottom Lounge treats openers like shit, because when Kamelot came on, they sounded a lot better. Hopefully Alestorm will sound better when I see them in April at Reggies.

That sucks man, but I'm sure you're right about it being mostly the venue's fault. They were great when I saw them open for Eluveitie last year.

Spiner202
12-06-2011, 07:40 AM
I'll echo that as well. Alestorm put on a fantastic show when I saw them and I can't wait to see them again.

GarageMetal468
12-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Yeah I have no doubt they'll be better at Paganfest in April since it's at a far superior venue.

GarageMetal468
12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Amon Amarth

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/5/0/150_photo.jpg?2854

Date seen: August 24th, 2011

Yes, it wasn't until later this year that I finally got to see Amon Amarth live for the first time. I've missed out on a lot of their previous shows for a ton of reasons, but I've really wanted to see them live for the longest time so my friends and I went up to Milwaukee to see them. And what a hell of a time it was! As you all know, Amon Amarth were playing 2 sets on all their U.S. shows this year. The first set being their newest album, Surtur Rising, from front to back, and the second set being various songs from albums before then. I liked Surtur Rising but really the second set was where it was at. Such a great set of awesome songs, especially Asator, Varyags of Miklagaard, and Victorious March, in full! They have incredible stage presence live and to see them busting out 2 sets for months is just amazing! I'm glad I went the distance to see these guys because it was more than worth it.

GarageMetal468
12-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Arkona

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/6/1/7/26171_photo.jpg?4126

Date seen: November 27th, 2011

I had decided to go to Korpiklaani's tour just hours before the show started. I used to be into Korpiklaani but not as much today. But my friend that I went with was telling me that Arkona was going to be amazing, and, well, he was dead right! I wonder how Korpiklaani feels knowing that they're being blown out of the water before they go on by Arkona, because they definitely had the best reception at the show out of any of the bands! And they deserved it too! The singer came out with a big shield/drum thing and was using it for some of the songs. They also have a multi instrumentalist guy playing bagpipes, some weird flutes, and some other stuff. Now that is a badass live show! They sounded amazing and made me glad I went to the show. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing them in April again!

Epidemic Reign
12-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Hopefully Arkona comes to Phoenix next year... they're going to be here on Thursday but I really can't afford it :bawling:

GarageMetal468
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM

D.R.I.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/9/2/8/5928_photo.jpg?2422

Date seen: January 30th, 2011

Another one of those bands that tours all the time and I didn't get to see them til this year. I've only seen them once and they've been back once so far (but on the same day as Enslaved/Alcest) and they're coming back again this Saturday (can't make it) and again in March, which I'm actually going to! But yes, these crossover legends are touring all the time and killing it every night. When I saw them they played for 2 hours, but made it seem like 30 minutes because of how good they are! The fact that they've been around since the early 80s and can still do that live is astounding! The crowd was going crazy the entire 2 hours for them, and everything was just nuts overall. They always mix up their sets, playing stuff from their entire discography. Apparently they played nearly all of Dealing With It in October, which sucks cause I missed it but the set in January was good enough to make me want to see them again.

GarageMetal468
12-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Sepultura

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/7/8/78_photo.jpg?2757

Date seen: May 19th, 2011

Of all the lineups and recent releases I'm the most skeptical about, it's Sepultura. With the Cavalera brothers gone and a more or less hardcore vocalist in the band, along with a string of shitty releases, you'd think that the live show would be pretty shitty. Well, I'm glad I was wrong! No doubt about it, this new Sepultura live is just freakin amazing! They even stuck to the classics for a good portion of the set, playing them as fast as they would back in the early 90s! I can imagine that the Cavalera brothers are worn out and done playing fast, but the new vocalist and drummer are full of energy and ready to kick ass anytime they get on stage. They loved interacting with the crowd and joking around, while still being serious with the music at the same time. All in all, I can say that they were most definitely awesome live and helped make the month of May the awesome month it was!

larvtard
12-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Sepultura

Of all the lineups and recent releases I'm the most skeptical about, it's Sepultura. With the Cavalera brothers gone and a more or less hardcore vocalist in the band, along with a string of shitty releases, you'd think that the live show would be pretty shitty. Well, I'm glad I was wrong! No doubt about it, this new Sepultura live is just freakin amazing! They even stuck to the classics for a good portion of the set, playing them as fast as they would back in the early 90s! I can imagine that the Cavalera brothers are worn out and done playing fast, but the new vocalist and drummer are full of energy and ready to kick ass anytime they get on stage. They loved interacting with the crowd and joking around, while still being serious with the music at the same time. All in all, I can say that they were most definitely awesome live and helped make the month of May the awesome month it was!

I wanted to see these guys so badly... my best friend from home is a HUGE Sepultura fan, but he was stubbornly convinced they'd suck :tp: so I had no one to go with :(

GarageMetal468
12-07-2011, 09:17 AM
I wanted to see these guys so badly... my best friend from home is a HUGE Sepultura fan, but he was stubbornly convinced they'd suck :tp: so I had no one to go with :(

Yeah one of my good friends was convinced that they were gonna blow live, but he told me at the end that it was worth going. In all honesty I'd take this version of Sepultura live than with the Cavalera brothers, especially with the garbage they make in Soulfly and Cavalera Conspiracy. As long as the new lineup sticks to the classics for the better part of the set it's all good.

Sepultura69
12-07-2011, 09:18 AM

D.R.I.

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/5/9/2/8/5928_photo.jpg?2422

Date seen: January 30th, 2011

Another one of those bands that tours all the time and I didn't get to see them til this year. I've only seen them once and they've been back once so far (but on the same day as Enslaved/Alcest) and they're coming back again this Saturday (can't make it) and again in March, which I'm actually going to! But yes, these crossover legends are touring all the time and killing it every night. When I saw them they played for 2 hours, but made it seem like 30 minutes because of how good they are! The fact that they've been around since the early 80s and can still do that live is astounding! The crowd was going crazy the entire 2 hours for them, and everything was just nuts overall. They always mix up their sets, playing stuff from their entire discography. Apparently they played nearly all of Dealing With It in October, which sucks cause I missed it but the set in January was good enough to make me want to see them again.

I know, seriously? D.R.I. tour here ALL THE FUCKING time. They have played like a total of 20 shows in the last 10 months, and all 20 of these shows were either near me by like 10 minutes or a close to an hour drive. They just played like 3 months ago at the chain reaction which is right next to my place.

I feel like kicking myself in the ass for missing them so much especially with how many times they fucking come through here in California to play. Most of that is due to me being stuck at work 90% of the time, But this time no more buts or ifs...I WILL indeed go see them on the 17th of this month. The venue is about 45 minutes away from me but I don't mind the drive. DRI is one of my favorite bands and I feel like kicking myself for missing out on their gigs everytime they roll through here...and they have probably rolled through here atleast 20 times in the last 8 months. I wish I went to the Chain reaction gig a couple months back because they allow Stage Diving. :rocker:

GarageMetal468
12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
I know, seriously? D.R.I. tour here ALL THE FUCKING time. They have played like a total of 20 shows in the last 10 months, and all 20 of these shows were either near me by like 10 minutes or a close to an hour drive. They just played like 3 months ago at the chain reaction which is right next to my place.

I feel like kicking myself in the ass for missing them so much especially with how many times they fucking come through here in California to play. Most of that is due to me being stuck at work 90% of the time, But this time no more buts or ifs...I WILL indeed go see them on the 17th of this month. The venue is about 45 minutes away from me but I don't mind the drive. DRI is one of my favorite bands and I feel like kicking myself for missing out on their gigs everytime they roll through here...and they have probably rolled through here atleast 20 times in the last 8 months. I wish I went to the Chain reaction gig a couple months back because they allow Stage Diving. :rocker:

Yeah they're playing a venue in March where they allow stage diving as well, I'm definitely gonna be there for that show! They're also playing a bar where I saw Macabre this year but it was a last second addition and I got work.

jd091
12-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Magrudergrind

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/3312669/Magrudergrind+l_92f2869094c2f59d5c7bb50b3662.jpg

Date seen: April 9th, 2011

Saw these guys at another Scion sponsored free show in April with Mind Eraser and Noisear. As you can guess, Magrudergrind stole the show with their crazy antics and music. As everyone knows, they only play 15 minute sets, which is what they did as usual. But those 15 minutes were just nuts. A lot of people were just going full out crazy for them. I remember this one guy had 666 and an inverted cross written on his chest in marker and he was doing bear walks and frog leaps and shit the entire show! It was more funny than annoying since he wasn't really bothering anyone physically. But, my favorite part of Magrudergrind's set was at the end when the singer told everyone to stage dive. Now, as you have probably heard, Reggie's does not allow stage diving at all. Seeing like 40 people getting on stage and jumping off with only a few security guards there was a sight to never be forgotten! It's safe to say that Reggie's got owned that day :D

:rocker:

Definitely in my top 10 for this year.

El Gordo
12-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Sepultura

Good lord, Paulo looks old!

GarageMetal468
12-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Desaster

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/7/7/277_photo.jpg

Date seen: June 4th, 2011

At first I decided I wasn't gonna go to see them. But it turned out I didn't have work, had the money, and realized that this is one of 2 shows they were playing in the U.S. So I figured I'd go. Damn, it was worth going for sure! If you don't know, Desaster plays black/thrash metal, I see a lot of emphasis on the black metal side when listening to them but live they're just brutal and heavy, like you'd find in thrash. Combine those two together, and you've got an incredible live band. These guys were just amazing live! I honestly did not expect them to be this good! It sucks that they dropped MDF next year so I'm very glad I got to see them when I did. Hopefully they'll be back in the U.S. sometime after then.

GarageMetal468
12-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Hail of Bullets

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/5/2/105288_photo.jpg

Another one of my favorites at MDF this year. It seems that no matter what Martin van Drunen does, it always ends up being awesome! I was really excited to hear that Hail of Bullets was playing MDF because they aren't a touring band at all. I was told by their drummer that they all have full time jobs and have to take time off to play festivals only. And even then, all the members have other bands they are part of that they devote more time to, so seeing these guys was a privilege. If I could describe them in one word live, it'd be CRUSHING. Hot damn, seeing songs like General Winter and On Coral Shores live were just :drool: So fucking heavy. All the members looked so happy to be playing for us, which of course influenced their performance for the better! Also, getting to meet Martin van Drunen and Ed Warby is like a dream come true. Martin is one of my favorite death metal vocalists ever and Ed drummed on one of my favorite albums ever (Ayreon's The Human Equation). I knew from the beginning that Hail of Bullets were gonna destroy live, and even then my expectations were exceeded!

Natrlhi
12-07-2011, 10:44 PM
^ Now you're finally fucking talking some sense. ;)

Seriously, though - I saw them at MDF as well a few years ago, and they fucking slayed. :fist:

EDIT: Actually, I missed that you had Absu and Neurosis on your list earlier, as well as Kylesa, Trap Them and Landmine Marathon in the beginning. Above not-really-serious-anyway comment retracted. :D

GarageMetal468
12-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Skinless

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/8/2/0/820_photo.jpg

Date seen: May 29th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

Arguably the best band of the last day of the festival, and one of the best of the entire festival. After Skinless announced that they were breaking up, they decided to play this fest as their last ever show to go out with a bang. And that they did! Reunited with the original lineup (not the one in the picture, that's just the one I came across) these four guys just owned it on stage. My neck was incredibly sore after they were done because they were so brutal live. Their singer can really get the crowd going, what with interacting with the crowd and jumping into the crowd multiple times as well as having people fighting on stage with foam swords. Add that to their awesome live sound and you've got an insane performance! This was perfect for their last show and I'm glad I actually did get to see them before they disbanded.

larvtard
12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
If they performed with Jason Keyser, then no shit it's gonna be amazing!

Jealous of Hail of Bullets, Desaster, and Magrudergrind :drool: I'm sure I'll see Magruder one of these days though

brutal_descent
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Bands from your list so far I saw this year:

Kylesa: Great, seeing them again twice this month!
Sepultura: Fucking great.
D.R.I.: Didn't like them much, left halfway through their set.

Really jealous of a lot of these, especially Neurosis, Ghoul and Magrudergrind. Also interesting to note that if I made a list like this one, a lot would be from GMM, the same way a lot of yours are from MDF. Festivals for the win! :D

GarageMetal468
12-08-2011, 11:34 AM
If they performed with Jason Keyser, then no shit it's gonna be amazing!

Jealous of Hail of Bullets, Desaster, and Magrudergrind :drool: I'm sure I'll see Magruder one of these days though

It was actually with their Sherwood Webber, who is just as good of a vocalist live really. Jason's awesome but Sherwood was great too.

Bands from your list so far I saw this year:

Kylesa: Great, seeing them again twice this month!
Sepultura: Fucking great.
D.R.I.: Didn't like them much, left halfway through their set.

Really jealous of a lot of these, especially Neurosis, Ghoul and Magrudergrind. Also interesting to note that if I made a list like this one, a lot would be from GMM, the same way a lot of yours are from MDF. Festivals for the win! :D

Yeah when I make another list of bands for next year I already know that at least half of the bands I see at MDF will be on there!

GarageMetal468
12-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Inquisition

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/6/6/6/5/6665_photo.jpg?2547

I hate that feeling when you're very drunk and as you're sobering up you're just coming down hard and ready to pass out. That happened at the end of the very eventful 3rd day of MDF this year and it wasn't a good feeling. However, I was lucky it was happening right when Inquisition came on, because they woke me right the fuck back up! 2 guys, one on guitar/vocals, the other on drums, putting on one of the best black metal performances ever. These guys can shred like no other live. Everything just sounded better than it did on album, and that's saying a lot! Everyone watching them thoroughly enjoyed them, some of my friends even said that they were one of the best there. I agree, they put on a crazy show and it was a great way to end the night.

brutal_descent
12-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I guess I can add Inquisition to that post I made then too, eh? Amazing live band. Dagon blew me away :lovedup:

GarageMetal468
12-08-2011, 09:00 PM

Opeth

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/8/38_photo.jpg?3044

Date seen: October 28th, 2011

As well all know, Opeth has gotten a hell of a different reputation this year. I was excited to see that they would be coming back to Chicago this year (yes this was my first time seeing them) and I bought my tickets the day they went on sale. Little did I know that Opeth's new album was going to be pretty bad (IN MY OPINION) and that the set would not have any death metal vocals whatsoever. This made me less excited for the show but I still wanted to go because I hadn't seen them live yet. Regardless of how bad I thought the set and the new album was, they were actually really, REALLY good live. Even the new songs sounded better! But of course the highlights of the set for me were the older songs such as Face of Melinda, Credence, Closure, etc. Their live sound was incredible. I don't know who was responsible for their sound but people need to learn from whoever that was. I'm glad I actually did get to see them live, even if there wasn't any death metal vocals. They proved that just because you take out a critical element of your music, you can still make it good live.

Epidemic Reign
12-08-2011, 09:02 PM
If Opeth is #11 then Katatonia must be in the top 10 :D

GarageMetal468
12-08-2011, 09:06 PM
If Opeth is #11 then Katatonia must be in the top 10 :D

Nah, I liked Katatonia but they didn't really blow me away or anything.

Anyway, we've reached the top 10! wooooo

jd091
12-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Cro-Mags? ;)

GarageMetal468
12-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Cro-Mags? ;)

;)

GarageMetal468
12-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Sacred Reich

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/2/0/120_photo.jpg

Date seen: June 28th, 2011

This year thrash legends Sacred Reich had decided to do ONE U.S. show only, and Chicago was fortunate enough to be the date! Now, you'd think that an old band such as themselves would be dragging on stage, especially since 3/4 of the members got really fat, but after watching some older videos of them live from the 80s/90s, I can safely say that to this day they are on par with what they used to be live! These guys still got the insane musical talent they had in them! They were very happy to be playing for us and the crowd was very appreciative of them. Be it a slow headbanging riff or an incredibly fast mosh part, they executed all the songs they played perfectly. I'm very grateful I got to see them live, especially since who knows when they will do a U.S. tour.

illuminatus917
12-09-2011, 10:20 PM
They proved that just because you take out a critical element of your music, you can still make it good live.

Live, don't doubt it.

GarageMetal468
12-10-2011, 07:53 AM

Melechesh

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/4/2/4/424_photo.jpg?5714

Date seen: March 19th, 2011

Earlier in this thread I did mention that this band upstaged Rotting Christ when they toured together. Rotting Christ were great but Melechesh were just spot on incredible! This was their first U.S. tour ever and they better have made more of an impression on here because they killed it on stage! Everything sounded perfect and they had a ton of energy on stage! It even seemed like they had an atmosphere going. All those guys are amazing at their instruments and I'm really hoping they come back to the states, I'd love to see them again.

treghet
12-10-2011, 07:57 AM
I wasn't familiar with them at the time, and I wasn't even expecting much from them, but they blew me away at that show. Still, Rotting Christ was easily my favorite. "King of A Stellar War" = :lovedup:

Epidemic Reign
12-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Amen, brother. Melechesh fucking tore it up on that tour.

GarageMetal468
12-10-2011, 10:28 PM

Cro-Mags

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/5/1/8/15184_photo.jpg?0357

Date seen: October 8th, 2011

Saw these hardcore legends at the final free Scion sponsored show of the year in October. Scion delivers, no doubt about it. This was, and probably is forever hands down the most violent show I have been to, ever. Cro-Mags of course are going to bring in the old school hardcore fans, so things can get messy. And they did. If they were playing a fast part/song, the place was a giant circle pit, and probably the most fun circle pit I've ever been in! But when they slowed it down, you'd immediately have people just throwing down and limbs EVERYWHERE. And I'm not talking scrawny fringe scene kid two-step garbage, I mean guys who may or may not have been doing this kind of stuff since it first started. It was too intense. Needless to say, Cro-Mags were awesome. All the classics they played were spot on, and like Magrudergrind, they encouraged everyone to go nuts and stage dive during the last few songs. I actually saw this guy who is a good friend of one of my good friends go up and sing the chorus for Hard Times! He must have been the happiest guy in the world after that! But Cro-Mags put on a hell of a show and I'm really hoping they come back sometime.

jd091
12-10-2011, 11:23 PM
:party:

That show was something else, man. Shit's real when the guys in the pit have face tats. :eyes:

GarageMetal468
12-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Buckethead

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kzIYVFMaGQ0/SuSSF-RgDJI/AAAAAAAAAkI/vLHPXWWmOg4/s400/buckkhhgkethead.jpg

Date seen: July 31st, 2011

At first when I found out that Buckethead was coming to Chicago I did want to go but later on forgot about it. As the show was approaching my friend brought it up and I figured that I had nothing else to do so I decided to go at the last second. I probably should've prepared myself because my mind got blown that night. Buckethead has to be the most talented person I have ever seen. Playing for about an hour and 45 minutes just by himself, Buckethead just tore it up on stage. He first started off playing songs from all around his gigantic discography for 45 minutes straight through, took a break where he did some killer nun-chuck moves, robot dancing, a bass solo and then back to the guitar for the remainder of the set. Hot damn it was just non stop craziness! My jaw was dropped whenever I saw him do the 4 finger tapping with his right hand... HOW THE FUCK. This guy is a monster on the guitar and just very talented altogether. I will definitely have to see him again the next time he comes back.

GarageMetal468
12-12-2011, 08:01 AM

Grave

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/2/0/1020_photo.jpg?5355

Date seen: September 9th, 2011

Maybe I'm biased because I love Swedish death metal so much... or that Grave is so high on here because they fucking OWNED this year! After over 20 years, they (well, the frontman, at least) still got it in them! Everything you'd hear on album, take that and multiply the intensity, speed and brutality by 100,000 and you get Grave live. Oh, and if that's not good enough, they also played their first album, Into The Grave, from beginning to end! All I can say is :wow: One of my favorite live bands ever right now. My friend had seen them in Hellfest this past year and told me not to miss this show. I wasn't planning on it, I mean, it's fucking Grave but I underestimated how good they were going to be live.

ravenheart
12-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Cathedral

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/1/0/7/1107_photo.jpg

Date seen: May 26th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest)

My friends and I had gotten to Maryland at about 5 PM if I remember correctly. It was a 13 hour drive, we barely slept and of course, we were all exhausted as hell. Yet we still managed to check out a couple bands after we got settled at the hotel. A couple hours later, we decided, fuck it, we're gonna nap for a couple hours. I managed to sleep through my alarm but luckily my friend's went off and he woke me up so we could see Cathedral, who were on at midnight. Me, him and my other friend managed to be awake and go, while the other 2 with us couldn't wake up. Sucks for them, because they missed out big time. After a hilarious encounter with some people on the way from the hotel to the venue, we witnessed a legendary doom metal band's last ever performance in the United States. And let me tell you, it was a hell of a way to go out. They played material from all over their discography, but naturally, the best song by far in that set was Ebony Tears. GOD FUCKING DAMN that had to be one of the heaviest songs I have ever seen and heard live. You'd think that with the drive just hours before and the minimal sleep I'd be falling asleep for their set... HELL NO! These guys were so good that I managed to be awake the entire time. About 10 hours of sleep followed their epic set and their departure from the U.S. forever. It really sucks that they're breaking up but they went out with a bang, for sure.

Too fucking right. 'Ebony Tears' is certainly heavy live, but nothing compares to the live versions of 'Enter The Worms' and especially 'Commiserating The Celebration'. Devastating.

Sepultura69
12-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Grave

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/2/0/1020_photo.jpg?5355

Date seen: September 9th, 2011

Maybe I'm biased because I love Swedish death metal so much... or that Grave is so high on here because they fucking OWNED this year! After over 20 years, they (well, the frontman, at least) still got it in them! Everything you'd hear on album, take that and multiply the intensity, speed and brutality by 100,000 and you get Grave live. Oh, and if that's not good enough, they also played their first album, Into The Grave, from beginning to end! All I can say is :wow: One of my favorite live bands ever right now. My friend had seen them in Hellfest this past year and told me not to miss this show. I wasn't planning on it, I mean, it's fucking Grave but I underestimated how good they were going to be live.

Damn, I DID NOT see this coming. I thought Grave was great live but not super epic-blew my brain cells away MIND BLOWING like the way you described it. Great show none the less.

How was the crowed capacity at your show? Christopher, Treghet, and myself attended one of Graves shows during their stop here back in September. Those two might tell you differently but I thought the show was pretty fuckin' empty, I think less than 50 people were there(at least in the front where all the pit action is, hell if i had to say the front then it was less than 40, hell 30!). I wouldn't be able to estimate overall how many people showed up but me and my friend were in the very front of the stage near the left side leaning on the stage rocking out with the 4 members, and everytime i turned around to check out the scenery and see what everyone was doing it just seemed like one big empty room with a guy standing here or there, or maybe two people leaning by the wall there and here. It was so empty that My friend was trying to start a moshpit(with like 2 other people)and he almost ended up getting into a fight a with some asshole who had nothing to do with the pit, he just jumped in pushed my friend, giving him the "hey stop what your doing" signal. It was getting pretty ugly but then luckily a faithfull metalhead who didn't even know neither of them came into to stop what would have been a pretty ugly site. But yeah that should give you an idea of how the show was.

Glad you enjoyed grave, and I totally agree with you on one thing. They tore through "Into the grave" like it was nothing. Song after song after song after song. I think we only got one encore though? or two? :bouville:

GarageMetal468
12-12-2011, 09:54 AM
The venue was about half full, so about 150 people there? It wasn't super empty like you described when you saw them (which I'm sorry for, anyone who missed this tour missed out bad). And there was a fight at the show too over some stupid shit, looked like it got pretty bad though.

And yeah we got one encore because the show was running late. Sucks but they still killed.

slapguitarer
12-12-2011, 03:12 PM

Buckethead

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kzIYVFMaGQ0/SuSSF-RgDJI/AAAAAAAAAkI/vLHPXWWmOg4/s400/buckkhhgkethead.jpg

Date seen: July 31st, 2011

At first when I found out that Buckethead was coming to Chicago I did want to go but later on forgot about it. As the show was approaching my friend brought it up and I figured that I had nothing else to do so I decided to go at the last second. I probably should've prepared myself because my mind got blown that night. Buckethead has to be the most talented person I have ever seen. Playing for about an hour and 45 minutes just by himself, Buckethead just tore it up on stage. He first started off playing songs from all around his gigantic discography for 45 minutes straight through, took a break where he did some killer nun-chuck moves, robot dancing, a bass solo and then back to the guitar for the remainder of the set. Hot damn it was just non stop craziness! My jaw was dropped whenever I saw him do the 4 finger tapping with his right hand... HOW THE FUCK. This guy is a monster on the guitar and just very talented altogether. I will definitely have to see him again the next time he comes back.

Nice! I saw him back in 2008 and even though I was a rabid fan back then, I still wasn't prepared for what I would witness that night. Buckethead played for about 3 hours that night :eek:. Only bad thing I can say about the show was I got no bass solo :(

smearCampaign
12-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Great write ups. I saw 13 of the bands on your list so far this year as well. :fist:

GarageMetal468
12-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Exhorder

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/3/4/334_photo.jpg

As you can tell from my site icon and my favorite thrash metal albums thread (if you read it), Exhorder are one of my favorite bands ever. I was anticipating seeing them live like no other as the months were building up to the 3rd day of MDF. I believe it was March, it was announced that their bassist, who had also played on their second album The Law had passed away. Luckily Exhorder didn't cancel any shows, including MDF, so that was good to hear and very nice of them, but it still made me skeptical... My thoughts were basically were: "We have a band, who has been inactive for over a decade, the members are much older and past their prime, bassist recently passed away, only played a few shows prior to MDF since reuniting... They might not be as good as I expect them to be..."

Well spank my ass and call me Charlie, I was fucking WRONG.

These guys tore it up like no fucking other. Hands down the best band of the 3rd day of the fest. You'd think their singer would've been struggling with vocals? Nope!!! He sounded so much better than their albums, and that's saying a lot seeing how much I love Slaughter in the Vatican. The new bassist and drummer were amazing, both of them are beasts. What's funny is that none of the members of the band look like metalheads at all, yet they play some of the sickest stuff to ever come out in the history of metal, even 20 years later! They had amazing sound, could still play fast as hell, and all the overall stage presence was just astounding. Needless to say, I was devastated when I found out that they broke up 2 months ago. I'm incredibly grateful to have seen them live. Slaughter in the Vatican will always be one of my favorite thrash albums of all time, Exhorder will always be one of my favorite bands ever and one of the best live bands I've seen in my life.

GarageMetal468
12-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Agalloch

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/5/305_photo.jpg

Date seen: March 27th, 2011

That night when I saw Agalloch for the first time wasn't just a show, it was an experience which was totally different from any other night I would be going to a show. Everything just seemed... different. I don't know how to describe it. Everything about it was out of the ordinary from any other show though. I'd usually leave for a show around 5 or 6, but I left at 8 to head to the venue since it was a later show. When I got inside, the atmosphere just felt different. The venue was packed (sold out show) yet the atmosphere... totally weird. I guess because they had incense candles on each side of the stage, a big Agalloch back drop behind the stage and props on stage. When Agalloch came on it was just mystifying yet incredible. Their set was damn near perfect. Hearing Our Fortress is Burning II: Bloodbirds, Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires (before this one the frontman explained how he gets the inspiration for the music, which was actually really interesting), and In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion was just mind blowing. What was more mind blowing was everyone singing along, "RED BIRDS ESCAPE FROM MY WOUNDS AND RETURN AS FALLING SNOW" when they played Falling Snow. Holy shit, it was a thrilling yet relaxing performance. And they couldn't have came at a more perfect time. It was still cold in Chicago even at the end of March so it fit in. I really can't wait to see them again at MDF next year.

masterguy49
12-13-2011, 09:02 AM
That makes me so excited to see them! :D

GarageMetal468
12-13-2011, 09:06 AM
That makes me so excited to see them! :D

Well it'll be different since at MDF they're not headlining, plus it's gonna be hot as balls outside. But at least they're playing inside.

masterguy49
12-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Well it'll be different since at MDF they're not headlining, plus it's gonna be hot as balls outside. But at least they're playing inside.

That's true, but I'm sure they should get a good set, hell just seeing them play their music would make it awesome for me.

GarageMetal468
12-13-2011, 09:10 AM
That's true, but I'm sure they should get a good set, hell just seeing them play their music would make it awesome for me.

Yeah I'm sure it'll still be awesome. Hopefully I can get front row for them following into Autopsy! From what everyone is saying in various places, a lot of people are not gonna be watching Agalloch so hopefully that makes it easier for me.

masterguy49
12-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah I'm sure it'll still be awesome. Hopefully I can get front row for them following into Autopsy! From what everyone is saying in various places, a lot of people are not gonna be watching Agalloch so hopefully that makes it easier for me.

Why they be hatin' on Agalloch!?
Oh well, that would make it easier to be up front. I'm gonna try to be on rail for them and Autopsy as well :fist:

jd091
12-13-2011, 12:20 PM

Agalloch

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/0/5/305_photo.jpg

Date seen: March 27th, 2011

That night when I saw Agalloch for the first time wasn't just a show, it was an experience which was totally different from any other night I would be going to a show. Everything just seemed... different. I don't know how to describe it. Everything about it was out of the ordinary from any other show though. I'd usually leave for a show around 5 or 6, but I left at 8 to head to the venue since it was a later show. When I got inside, the atmosphere just felt different. The venue was packed (sold out show) yet the atmosphere... totally weird. I guess because they had incense candles on each side of the stage, a big Agalloch back drop behind the stage and props on stage. When Agalloch came on it was just mystifying yet incredible. Their set was damn near perfect. Hearing Our Fortress is Burning II: Bloodbirds, Ghosts of the Midwinter Fires (before this one the frontman explained how he gets the inspiration for the music, which was actually really interesting), and In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion was just mind blowing. What was more mind blowing was everyone singing along, "RED BIRDS ESCAPE FROM MY WOUNDS AND RETURN AS FALLING SNOW" when they played Falling Snow. Holy shit, it was a thrilling yet relaxing performance. And they couldn't have came at a more perfect time. It was still cold in Chicago even at the end of March so it fit in. I really can't wait to see them again at MDF next year.

;_____;

I didn't start listening to them until the day after this show. Now they're in like, my top 5 bands. I would murder a thousand small children and drink the urine of ten thousand old women to get the chance to hear In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion live. I'll just have to wait, y'know, another like 5 years until I can see them again.

Sepultura69
12-13-2011, 12:25 PM
I would murder a thousand small children and drink the urine of ten thousand old women to get the chance to hear In The Shadow of Our Pale Companion live.

That's some pretty deep shit, my friend. :hmm:

SomewhereInTime72
12-13-2011, 07:34 PM
I really really wanna see Agalloch one day.

slapguitarer
12-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Another excellent post. Agalloch is definitely one of the best bands I've seen live. :drool:

GarageMetal468
12-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Probably should've waited til tomorrow to start this list... Inquisition should be WAY higher after seeing them again tonight.

jd091
12-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Probably should've waited til tomorrow to start this list... Inquisition should be WAY higher after seeing them again tonight.

Seeing them tonight! :dance:

GarageMetal468
12-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Symphony X

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/7/2/172_photo.jpg

Date seen: May 1st, 2011

Now here's a band that some would disagree with, especially being so high on this list for a number of reasons. The first being their set on this tour. A lot of it was from Paradise Lost, but I really do love that album, although I could do without Serpent's Kiss in the set. Another reason was their sound wasn't as good as it should've been. Being at the Bottom Lounge, they're bound to fuck something up, and of course it had to be Michael Romeo's guitar. It definitely wasn't loud enough, but for some reason I could hear it fine. Aside from that, their performance was just spot on. Not once did I hear any mess ups.

But the main reason why they are so high on here (aside from them being one of my favorite bands ever) was the encore... The fucking Odyssey. That is, hands down, my favorite song ever. When I first took a look at the set for the tour on here and saw that they were closing with that, ALL FUCKING 25 MINUTES OF IT, my jaw dropped and I thought I would cry. I managed to get second row for the entire show and to see that song played before me, live, was just remarkable. The last 5 minutes of the song could be summed up as :drool::lovedup::bowdown::wow: I'm happy I got to see them with that set. Other highlights were Smoke and Mirrors, Of Sins and Shadows, as well as Dehumanized and The End of Innocence, the 2 "new" songs at the time. I'll never forget that performance. Seeing The Odyssey live has brought me one step closer to dying happy.

jd091
12-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Oh man. :lol:

GarageMetal468
12-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Oh man. :lol:

You were pretty much who I referred to when I said "some will disagree" lol

El Gordo
12-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Trying to decide if I want to go see Symphony X & Iced Earth in February. Haven't seen either band in 10 years or so. Your glowing review is helping to swing the decision towards going!

jd091
12-15-2011, 10:03 AM
You were pretty much who I referred to when I said "some will disagree" lol

Hey, glad you had an awesome time. Everyone else seemed to be loving it.

slapguitarer
12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Another excellent pick. Symphony X were great when I saw them. I know a lot of people will give me shit for this, but I mainly went to the show for Powerglove, though I liked Symphony X going in. They blew me away. Michael Romeo is one of the most talented guitarists I've seen all year. And Russel Allen has some pipes!

GarageMetal468
12-16-2011, 07:17 AM

Destruction

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/5/5/155_photo.jpg

Date seen: May 5th, 2011

It can be easy to dismiss Destruction... the old material is very good, but the production ruins it for the most part. The intensity and even speed is gone because the production isn't very good. But when you take Destruction's material to a live setting...

God fucking damn.

One of the most intense performances I've ever seen. Busting out classics and newer songs left and right for an hour and a half, and all of them sounding amazing! With only 3 guys on stage, they are superior live to most with even 5 or 6! Schmier and Mike were moving all over the place, with 3 microphones set up on the left, middle and right sides of the stages for Schmier to move around and not move back to one spot. Their new drummer is also really good, he got all the classics down really well which is what matters, because there were a lot of them live! Even though Destruction's new album wasn't very good, their live set was just phenomenal. One of the best headlining sets out there as well. I really hope the Kreator/Sodom/Destruction U.S. tour that Schmier mentioned at the show becomes a reality.

ravenheart
12-16-2011, 07:28 AM
I saw Destruction too. Love them, but so boring live. It was a small stage, so maybe they just didn't want to bother moving around very much.

treghet
12-16-2011, 07:30 AM
I really hope the Kreator/Sodom/Destruction U.S. tour that Schmier mentioned at the show becomes a reality.

So do I, but he's been talking about that since 2007. I have hopes that it will happen one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

GarageMetal468
12-16-2011, 07:49 AM
I saw Destruction too. Love them, but so boring live. It was a small stage, so maybe they just didn't want to bother moving around very much.

Huh, weird. And Reggies' stage isn't gigantic or anything but it's big for 3 people. Must've been a REALLY small stage when you saw them then.

Also, I won't be home the rest of today, tomorrow, and probably not Sunday either... so you're gonna have to wait a bit for #1 unless I can squeeze it in sometime!

GarageMetal468
12-17-2011, 09:57 PM

Exhumed

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/4/3/143_photo.jpg

Dates seen: May 27th, 2011 (Maryland Deathfest), October 30th, 2011

And here it is, the best live band of the year I saw. Quite possibly the best live band I've ever seen as well. At MDF, every band I had seen so far was awesome, so by the time Exhumed was going on I was expecting them to be good as well. My expectations were strapped on to 500 bottle rockets and launched into the air, because I totally underestimated what I was going to be witnessing. Everything was just so fast, heavy, and straight up brutal when they went on! The songs from Gore Metal are definitely the best in their current live settings because they are very clean live and they speed them up for added intensity. But that can be said for all of their songs, just those ones sound the best to me. MDF was also their first U.S. show since disbanding 6 or so years ago, so to see them have a performance of that caliber was just astounding. You'd probably know this by now, but they were definitely the best band at MDF out of the dozens of bands there. I walked out of their set when they were done with my jaw on the floor. I had to tell everyone I knew about what I had just seen.

Unfortunately, I had to miss their summer show in Milwaukee with Macabre, but luckily I had convinced quite a few people to see them after explaining how good they were at MDF. And go figure, every single one of those people who went and saw them then came back to see them at the end of October with Goatwhore. I obviously made an effort to go see them again, no way was I going to miss them that time. I don't think I've heard one bad thing about them live because everyone can't help but enjoy them. One of my friends at the October show who usually never goes to shows anymore because of work, lack of funds, etc. managed to go to that show out of all the ones coming through Chicago that month. He told me in the middle of their set that he made the right choice going to this one!

I'm very glad I've gotten people to go see them live, not just in Chicago but sometimes in other places. I think I told some people about them live on this site... maybe, not sure. But yeah, hands down the best live band I've seen this year. I hope that tour rumor with Cannibal Corpse is true, I really do.

Thanks for reading my list! Happy holidays and such to all, and I'm looking forward to what bands will be on the 2012 list!

larvtard
12-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Exhumed??? :eek::eek: Who saw that coming?!

;)

Sepultura69
12-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Exhumed??? :eek::eek: Who saw that coming?!

;)

I didn't :eyes:

Great thread. Enjoyed it a shit loads' my man. :rocker: