PDA

View Full Version : NPR's Top 25 Metal Albums of 2011

DethMaiden
11-30-2011, 10:19 AM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/11/29/142890254/the-best-metal-albums-of-2011

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
inb4 Wine loses his shit...

...and fuck yeah, that's a damn decent list. From NPR. Go fucking figure.

EDIT: ...and has anybody else heard that Botanist album? That's some different-sounding shit, to be sure.

larvtard
11-30-2011, 10:58 AM
The top ten (and the rest of the list, for that matter) uncontrollably bleeds hipster.

DethMaiden
11-30-2011, 11:06 AM
The top ten (and the rest of the list, for that matter) uncontrollably bleeds hipster.

You really can't just say things and not back them up.

brutal_descent
11-30-2011, 11:16 AM

YOB? Negative Plane? Trap Them? Altar of Plagues? AUTOPSY?! EXHUMED?!

illuminatus917
11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Anyone that's heard Negative Plane knows there's 0 hipster in it.

larvtard
11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
You really can't just say things and not back them up.

Stoner/sludge/doom metal/most of the black metal bands on this list=hipster.

Rocco44
11-30-2011, 12:38 PM
What the fuck is hipster about Yob or most of the bands on here. And if they are hipster, why does it matter. All I see are a bunch of really solid albums.

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
The top ten (and the rest of the list, for that matter) uncontrollably bleeds AWESOME.Fixed that for ya.

Stoner/sludge/doom metal/most of the black metal bands on this list=hipster....and this is just plain retarded. Hipsters would run from the room screaming at the sound of bands like YOB and deafheaven. You're just in a bad mood because you're not hammered right now. :finger:

larvtard
11-30-2011, 12:41 PM
What the fuck is hipster about Yob or most of the bands on here. And if they are hipster, why does it matter. All I see are a bunch of really solid albums.

Not saying they're bad. I like a good amount of hipster metal myself.

hb420
11-30-2011, 12:42 PM

This

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 12:44 PM
..and don't even get me started on the part of the list below the Top Ten.

TRAP THEM
BATILLUS
AUTOPSY
EXHUMED

Pure hipster bullshit since the beginning of time.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Rocco44
11-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Not saying they're bad. I like a good amount of hipster metal myself.

Got it although I guess I'm not sure what makes a hipster band other than say obvious ones like Liturgy. Is it the bands themselves or can a band be hipster if they attract hipsters? lol I guess I just don't give a shit about labels.

GarageMetal468
11-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Lets keep the term "hipster" out of metal. Thank you and have a nice day.

larvtard
11-30-2011, 12:50 PM
..and don't even get me started on the part of the list below the Top Ten.

TRAP THEM
BATILLUS
AUTOPSY
EXHUMED

Pure hipster bullshit since the beginning of time.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Trap Them is one of my favorite bands ever, but I have to say they are pretty hipster, sadly. Batillus are doom metal so they're hipster. Autopsy and Exhumed obviously aren't hipster. I don't even think death metal can be hipster.

For the most part, though, if NPR covers it, it's probably hipster ;)

mankvill
11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Trap Them is one of my favorite bands ever, but I have to say they are pretty hipster, sadly. Batillus are doom metal so they're hipster. Autopsy and Exhumed obviously aren't hipster. I don't even think death metal can be hipster.

that word

i don't think it means what you think it means

so you should probably stop using it

because you look like an idiot

and an alcoholic

MPF
11-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Pretty much what I expected from NPR with a few surprises.

Pretty cool list.

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 01:03 PM
that word

and an alcoholicExactly. Every fucking word.

hb420
11-30-2011, 01:03 PM

You can't label an entire genre hipster. Or label someone hipster because they play in that genre. Have you even heard their album?

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 01:04 PM
You can't label an entire genre hipster. Or label someone hipster because they play in that genre. Have you even heard their album?I was going to say this. Batillus makes hipsters cry for their mommies.

larvtard
11-30-2011, 01:07 PM
that word

and an alcoholic

Actually, you're right, I don't think I do know what it means :lol: I think I always confuse "hipster" with "mainstream." :lol::lol: :eyes:

But my point about doom metal still stands.

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
LOGAN

OPEN YOUR MOUTH

REMOVE YOUR FOOT

STOP TYPING

YOU LOSE THIS ROUND

mankvill
11-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Actually, you're right, I don't think I do know what it means :lol: I think I always confuse "hipster" with "mainstream." :lol::lol: :eyes:

you are

an idiot

if you

think that

all doom

metal is

hipster.

so I guess black sabbath is hipster now.

larvtard
11-30-2011, 01:13 PM
you are

an idiot

if you

think that

all doom

metal is

hipster.

so I guess black sabbath is hipster now.

Hey, manks, when you type like that, you look retarded ;)

And I can't believe you think Black Sabbath is hipster :lol: That's seriously one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. Go learn a thing or two about metal, man. Jesuschrist.

mankvill
11-30-2011, 01:16 PM

And I can't believe you think Black Sabbath is hipster :lol: That's seriously one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. Go learn a thing or two about metal, man. Jesuschrist.

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-very-stupid.jpg

larvtard
11-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Also, I dunno if this nullifies everything I've said in this thread, but this article (http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2007/03/hipster-metal/) pretty much defines what I see 'hipster metal' as.

And it's from Cosmo Lee, too :fist:

hb420
11-30-2011, 01:22 PM

Well then explain your reasoning? All the band's on NPR's list that could be lumped into that genre or sub-genres are defiantly not hipster. YOB, Witch Mountain, Batillus, Mournful Congregation would cave hipsters skulls in live. Granted I've never seen these bands live, but I have seen plenty other doom/sludge/stoner bands live. And if you have you would know it's about playing extremely loud and heavy, and sometimes unrelentingly slow til your ear drums are completely crushed. Something I have a feeling hipsters would not like. Are you saying Sleep are hipster? What about High On Fire? Early Mastodon/Intronaut/Baroness? Winter? Rwake? Dark Castle? Bongripper? Sourvein? The list could go on and on. So again labeling a whole genre something like that is stupid and ignorant.

EDIT: Black Sabbath is what spawned that entire genre. So you are in fact saying Black Sabbath is hipster.

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Alcoholics get angry as fuck when they don't have their drink. I read that somewhere.

larvtard
11-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Well then explain your reasoning? All the band's on NPR's list that could be lumped into that genre or sub-genres are defiantly not hipster. YOB, Witch Mountain, Batillus, Mournful Congregation would cave hipsters skulls in live. Granted I've never seen these bands live, but I have seen plenty other doom/sludge/stoner bands live. And if you have you would know it's about playing extremely loud and heavy, and sometimes unrelentingly slow til your ear drums are completely crushed. Something I have a feeling hipsters would not like. Are you saying Sleep are hipster? What about High On Fire? Early Mastodon/Intronaut/Baroness? Winter? Rwake? Dark Castle? Bongripper? Sourvein? The list could go on and on. So again labeling a whole genre something like that is stupid and ignorant.

First person in this thread to actually make a good point instead of yelling at me (Oh yeah, manks and Nat, I'M the alcoholic here :tp: I don't recall getting angry at anybody in this thread, but I can count several instances where it appears that you guys were thoroughly pissed off.)

I'm really bad at articulating my opinions. For some reason doom/stoner/sludge metal has always struck me as the most 'hipster' of all the metal sub-genres. That's not to say that actual indie-art-fag-hipsters would like it. I'm talking about metal hipsters. You know, those bearded guys with the plaid shirts.

Eh, I'm just gonna stop. You win, hb :fist:

mastodon421
11-30-2011, 02:05 PM
I have heard a whopping 1 album (Ulcerate) from this list, so I can't really comment on the quality of this list.

moobys37
11-30-2011, 02:43 PM
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-very-stupid.jpg

Incredibly stupid.

larvtard
11-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Incredibly stupid.

I was actually trolling, man. I thought I made it pretty obvious that I was being a smartass.

slapguitarer
11-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Great list. :party:

treghet
11-30-2011, 08:51 PM
...and this is just plain retarded. Hipsters would run from the room screaming at the sound of bands like YOB and deafheaven. You're just in a bad mood because you're not hammered right now. :finger:

I'd argue the point about Deafheaven. The three hipsters I know love them. Also, I explained why in Brad's thread a week ago:

The post- and/or shoegaze elements of these bands (Liturgy, Deafheaven, Alcest, etc.) are what draw hipsters in. While many hipsters prefer indie music, post-rock has become increasingly popular with them as well, so this crossover between genres is not unprecedented. But with that aside, who said there was a strict definition of what music a hipster should like? To my knowledge, a hipster is someone who is in tune with what is popular in the underground (ie: hip), so there's no real binding to a certain genre.

BloodoftheKings
11-30-2011, 09:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVMib1T4T4&feature=related

moobys37
11-30-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd argue the point about Deafheaven. The three hipsters I know love them. Also, I explained why in Brad's thread a week ago:

I witnessed hipsters running to their mommies during Deafheaven, so I have to agree with him there :cool:.

idrinkwine732
11-30-2011, 09:33 PM
inb4 Wine loses his shit...
I was aware how much this writer liked the album, so I was going to be surprised if it wasn't #1.

Yeah, it's dope though.