PDA

View Full Version : HB420's Top 15 2011 Albums

hb420
11-28-2011, 12:41 PM
15. Batillus - Furnace
http://www.metal-army.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/batillus_furnace_hires_cropped-400x400.jpg

Batillus's first full length comes after two highly regarded EPs and one split. They play an oppressive mixture of black metal, doom metal, sludge, post rock, industrial and drone. It's a dense and tiring listen through, but completely rewarding the more time you give it to soak in. Then the addicting melodies creep in on songs like at the 4:35 mark of "The World Is As Night To Them". Or the punishing groves of "Deadweight" and "What Heart".

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
15. Batillus - Furnace

Batillus's first full length comes after two highly regarded EPs and one split. They play an oppressive mixture of black metal, doom metal, sludge, post rock, industrial and drone. It's a dense and tiring listen through, but completely rewarding the more time you give it to soak in. Then the addicting melodies creep in on songs like at the 4:35 mark of "The World Is As Night To Them". Or the punishing groves of "Deadweight" and "What Heart".
I almost bought this album at their show in Chicago last week. It's great stuff on album, but it was a little off-putting in a live setting. It's hard for me to explain why, but I'll try to figure it out soon so I can post about it in my upcoming gig report. :D

hb420
11-28-2011, 12:53 PM
I almost bought this album at their show in Chicago last week. It's great stuff on album, but it was a little off-putting in a live setting. It's hard for me to explain why, but I'll try to figure it out soon so I can post about it in my upcoming gig report. :D

That's a little disappointing to hear, how were Yakuza and the Atlas Moth? That is an amazing line-up you got to see. Really jealous of those that got to see the Batillus/Atlas Moth tour. It skipped New Mexico. :bouville:

larvtard
11-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Dude, pretty much everything you post about on here you label as either "incredible" or "amazing," so I have no idea how you managed to dwindle these down to 15... you better post a fuckload of honorable mentions, man, I wanna hear 'em all.

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 01:00 PM
That's a little disappointing to hear, how were Yakuza and the Atlas Moth? That is an amazing line-up you got to see. Really jealous of those that got to see the Batillus/Atlas Moth tour. It skipped New Mexico. :bouville:It was a great show. I promise I'll get the gig report up soon.

EDIT: ...and for the record, Batillus definitely didn't suck. Their set was just...aw, tune in later and I'll explain it. :lol:

hb420
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Dude, pretty much everything you post about on here you label as either "incredible" or "amazing," so I have no idea how you managed to dwindle these down to 15... you better post a fuckload of honorable mentions, man, I wanna hear 'em all.

Haha yeah I know, I'm pretty easily satisfied and blown away. Atleast at first, it's the stuff I keep coming back to that survives. Even after dwindling that down, it was still hard for me. So I just cut it down to these fifteen albums that are IMHO perfect or nearly perfect. I will have quite a bit of honorable mentions though.

14. Giant Squid - Cenotes
http://reigninart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Giant-Squid-Cenotes.jpg

Giant Squid from their first EP have been on a roll. Getting better by each recording. Developing their brand of Progressive/Post/Sludge. The biggest turning point for them where they went from good to great, was when Jackie Perez Gatz (who is one of the most awesome musicians in metal today) joined before the recording of the Itchyologist. It pushed the band's already unique sound to greater heights. While that album was their best to date, it was a little lengthy, and unfocused at points. With Cenotes they completely change that. Aaron's gargantuan riffs and guitar tone is fiercer than it ever has been before. Jackie's cello weaves through the music so gracefully and the bass and drums thunder over everything. From the heavy as balls opener Tongue Stones to the epic closing title track this EP is pure sludge perfection.

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Giant Squid from their first EP have been on a roll. Getting better by each recording. Developing their brand of Progressive/Post/Sludge. The biggest turning point for them where they went from good to great, was when Jackie Perez Gatz (who is one of the most awesome musicians in metal today) joined before the recording of the Itchyologist. It pushed the band's already unique sound to greater heights. While that album was their best to date, it was a little lengthy, and unfocused at points. With Cenotes they completely change that. Aaron's gargantuan riffs and guitar tone is fiercer than it ever has been before. Jackie's cello weaves through the music so gracefully and the bass and drums thunder over everything. From the heavy as balls opener Tongue Stones to the epic closing title track this EP is pure sludge perfection.The Nat approves this post. :fist:

Seventhzealot
11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Haha yeah I know, I'm pretty easily satisfied and blown away. Atleast at first, it's the stuff I keep coming back to that survives. Even after dwindling that down, it was still hard for me. So I just cut it down to these fifteen albums that are IMHO perfect or nearly perfect. I will have quite a bit of honorable mentions though.

http://reigninart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Giant-Squid-Cenotes.jpg

Giant Squid from their first EP have been on a roll. Getting better by each recording. Developing their brand of Progressive/Post/Sludge. The biggest turning point for them where they went from good to great, was when Jackie Perez Gatz (who is one of the most awesome musicians in metal today) joined before the recording of the Itchyologist. It pushed the band's already unique sound to greater heights. While that album was their best to date, it was a little lengthy, and unfocused at points. With Cenotes they completely change that. Aaron's gargantuan riffs and guitar tone is fiercer than it ever has been before. Jackie's cello weaves through the music so gracefully and the bass and drums thunder over everything. From the heavy as balls opener Tongue Stones to the epic closing title track this EP is pure sludge perfection.

Loved this. Agree about Jackie too. Apart from this and Grayceon, loved her compositions on 'Marrow of the Spirit' too. :rocker:

illuminatus917
11-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Dude, pretty much everything you post about on here you label as either "incredible" or "amazing,"

That's because a lot of the stuff HB420 likes is either "incredible" or "amazing" :lol:
I have the same tendency to be overwhelmed at first, before time puts things into perspective.

Haven't heard the new Batillus :eyes:

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
That's because a lot of the stuff HB420 likes is either "incredible" or "amazing" :lol:TRU DAT MY NEGRO :party:

Haven't heard the new Batillus :eyes:Yeah, it'd be good if it was heavy or something... :eyes:

Natrlhi
11-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Loved this. Agree about Jackie too. Apart from this and Grayceon, loved her compositions on 'Marrow of the Spirit' too. :rocker:Don't forget about her work in Amber Asylum, which isn't metal, but it's damn sexy just the same.

hb420
11-28-2011, 03:12 PM
13. Orchid - Capricorn
http://www.metal-archives.com/images/2/9/7/6/297626.jpg

If you're the type of person who felt Black Sabbath died after Ozzy left, this is for you. Orchid play pure unadulterated sabbath worship of the highest order. The riffs, solos, bass work, vocals melodies all could have come from a long lost sabbath record from '70-'75. Highlights include opener "Eyes Behind The Wall", and "He Who Walks Alone" with their catchy choruses that will be stuck in your head for days. Also Into The Void and Symptoms of the Universe like heaviness that are the songs "Down Into The Earth" and "Cosmonaut of Three".

hb420
11-29-2011, 12:56 AM
12. Russian Circles - Empros
http://media.prefixmag.com/site_media/uploads/images/review/r/russian-circles/russian_circles-empros_jpg_300x300_crop-smart_q85.jpg

Everything comes together for Russian Circles on their fourth full length. While their other albums were good, they suffered from the monotony most post-rock/metal does. On Empros they change that by adding levels of aggression and unpredictability not associated within their genre. From the intense blackend opening track "309" to the almost sludgy Baroness like (Red Album) "Mladek" and "Batu". All the way to the droning acoustic finale, it's a thrilling ride. That makes for the best Post-Metal record since Isis's Oceanic.

11. Disma - Towards The Megalith
http://www.hellbound.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/disma-towards-the-megalith.jpg

Death Metal, I feel is a genre that has become completely stagnant and lifeless. With most bands trying to outdo each other, with how technical they are. Or how fast, brutal, and heavy they play. Completely forgoing what really matters quality songwriting, they end up with albums where the memorable moments are little to none. In comes Disma, a five piece from New Jersery. That with their debut full length sound completely old school but at the same time have a huge modern touch. The guitars are constantly in motion, moving and swarming around the huge rhythm section. Craig Pillard's vocals that while being so inhumanly low are entirely intelligible, giving the already murky atmosphere of the music that much more. Each song is a highlight, bringing what I believe is the closest a death metal band can get to a modern classic.

Rocco44
11-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Good to see Russian Circles and Batillus. Saw Batillus live and I enjoyed them quite a bit. Unfortunately the pa was blown by the time Atlas Moth came on which is a shame because their new album is excellent and I was looking forward to seeing those songs live.

Natrlhi
11-29-2011, 04:46 AM
12. Russian Circles - Empros

11. Disma - Towards The MegalithEYE WUV DIS WIST

daimonos
11-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Let it be a known fact that hb420 has the best musical taste out of everyone on this board. Just sayin'. :allan:

Natrlhi
11-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Let it be a known fact that hb420 has the best musical taste out of everyone on this board. Just sayin'. :allan:Present company excluded, of course. :cool:

moobys37
11-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Present company excluded, of course. :cool:

*ahem*

hb420
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Let it be a known fact that hb420 has the best musical taste out of everyone on this board. Just sayin'. :allan:

Haha thanks, but pretty much everybody that has posted in this thread has really awesome taste in music. but that's because theyre the closest to mine. ;)

Seventhzealot
11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
11. Disma - Towards The Megalith
http://www.hellbound.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/disma-towards-the-megalith.jpg

Death Metal, I feel is a genre that has become completely stagnant and lifeless. With most bands trying to outdo each other, with how technical they are. Or how fast, brutal, and heavy they play. Completely forgoing what really matters quality songwriting, they end up with albums where the memorable moments are little to none. In comes Disma, a five piece from New Jersery. That with their debut full length sound completely old school but at the same time have a huge modern touch. The guitars are constantly in motion, moving and swarming around the huge rhythm section. Craig Pillard's vocals that while being so inhumanly low are entirely intelligible, giving the already murky atmosphere of the music that much more. Each song is a highlight, bringing what I believe is the closest a death metal band can get to a modern classic.

Brilliant album. I love how sludgy this is.

Seventhzealot
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Don't forget about her work in Amber Asylum, which isn't metal, but it's damn sexy just the same.

Hmm haven't checked them out as yet but I see they're signed on to Profound Lore which means I have to now :horns:

hb420
11-29-2011, 05:11 PM
10. Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/files/Red-Fang-Murder-The-Mountains.jpg

Ever wonder what a mix between the Melvins and Kyuss would sound like? All you would need to do is listen to "Murder The Mountains", Red Fang's second full length. On it they hone this mixture to perfection. Each track is great and completely varied from the sludgy opening of "Malverde", with vocals from guitarist Maurice Bryan Giles reminiscent of King Buzzo himself. To "Wires" which sounds alot like something off of "Blues For The Red Sun" complete with a searing psychedelic solo at the songs climax, and melodic vocals from bassist Aaron Beam that will never leave your head once you hear them. And onward the album never stays the same.

hb420
11-30-2011, 01:29 AM
09. Corrupted - Garten Der Unbewusstheit
http://i25.lulzimg.com/261f48.png

On Corrupted's fifth and sadly last full length, they pull a surprise yet stunning genre change. Gone for the most part is the raw sludge that made up their other records, the only thing lingering from them is front-man Hevi's beastly growl. The music now as best as I could describe it would be funeral doom styled post metal. It's a slow, lumbering, majestic, heavy and ultimately mournful dirge. That makes you feel it's intense pain as you are mesmerized for the entire time it plays.

hb420
11-30-2011, 03:17 AM
08. Windhand - Windhand
http://www.roadburn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Windhand.jpg

If I was lazy I would have summed up this band by writing , lovers of Electric Wizard seek this out at once. Windhand's debut album is nothing short of mammoth. Five slabs of blistering, molten psychedelic occult doom. This stuff's completely smothered in a dark and evil atmosphere. That wouldn't nearly work as good, in my opinion without the haunting vocals of Dorthia Cottrell. Her droning yet melodic singing is the album's highlight, and accompanied with riffs heavier than the sun make for an amazing experience.

07. Virus - The Agent That Shapes The Desert
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/cover/d96/30785_virus_the_agent_that_shapes_the_desert.jpg

Virus will probably be one of the weirdest if not the weirdest experimental rock band you'll come across. They're not for everyone, but their blend of progressive/fusion and desert rock is highly addictive for those listeners that get sunken into Virus's lunacy. The dissonant riffs, jazzy drum fills and fretless bass playing swirl around Czarl's monotonous croon. The entire album is extremely enjoyable with no weak moments, but no moments that really stick out neither.

hb420
11-30-2011, 02:29 PM
06. Altar of Plagues - Mammal
http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Altar-of-Plagues-Mammal-PL-version.jpg

Irish Post-Black Metalers, Altar of Plagues have created the sub-genres first true masterpiece. Everything just feels huge-er and more lean than their debut. Getting the drummer from Abaddon Incarnate(one of the most awesome grind bands ever), Johnny King helped out tremendously as well. His drumming while his not being overly technical is fluid and dynamic. Adding to the more metallic punch the record has. The best song is easily the behemoth that's the opening track "Neptune Is Dead", with its hypnotic riffing and bouncing grove. It's a really long track that never looses your attention, even when it dips into dark and unsettling ambiance for periods of time.

powerslave_85
11-30-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.nocleansinging.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Altar-of-Plagues-Mammal-PL-version.jpg

Irish Post-Black Metalers, Altar of Plagues have created the sub-genres first true masterpiece. Everything just feels huge-er and more lean than their debut. Getting the drummer from Abaddon Incarnate, Johnny King (one of the most awesome grind bands ever) helped out tremendously as well. His drumming while his not being overly technical is fluid and dynamic. Adding to the more metallic punch the record has. The best song is easily the behemoth that's the opening track "Neptune Is Dead", with its hypnotic riffing and bouncing grove. It's a really long track that never looses your attention, even when it dips into dark and unsettling ambiance for periods of time.
Can I just copy and paste this in my thread? :lol: I have no idea how to write about black metal.

hb420
11-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Can I just copy and paste this in my thread? :lol: I have no idea how to write about black metal.

Sure, no problem man. :horns:

Seventhzealot
11-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Irish Post-Black Metalers, Altar of Plagues have created the sub-genres first true masterpiece. Everything just feels huge-er and more lean than their debut. Getting the drummer from Abaddon Incarnate, Johnny King (one of the most awesome grind bands ever) helped out tremendously as well. His drumming while his not being overly technical is fluid and dynamic. Adding to the more metallic punch the record has. The best song is easily the behemoth that's the opening track "Neptune Is Dead", with its hypnotic riffing and bouncing grove. It's a really long track that never looses your attention, even when it dips into dark and unsettling ambiance for periods of time.

Holy shit, that third track is one of the most haunting pieces of music I've listened to this year! :drool:

hb420
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Holy shit, that third track is one of the most haunting pieces of music I've listened to this year! :drool:

Yeah that track is really uniquely awesome, took me awhile to grow on it though. It's a great breather from the onslaught of "Feather And Bone".

Seventhzealot
11-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I know! It takes a little time to grow on you I guess. I listened to it four times in a row after I heard the whole album and I was flabbergasted. It is minimalistic musically but provides the perfect setting for the finale of the album.

Look forward to the rest of your list man!:party:

hb420
11-30-2011, 07:14 PM
05. Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s6_jU9LrAWo/Tms5L_rb-WI/AAAAAAAAJzA/2bENGTNV-sQ/s1600/ELDER-Dead-Roots-Stirring.jpg

*Im just going to post what i said about this, from my other thread. Pretty much though if you love stoner metal your life will not be complete til you hear this cd.*

The sophomore effort by Elder is easily a modern classic, five amazing cuts. That make up what I believe is the best stoner metal album in the past decade at least. As soon as you press play you're hit by an onslaught of HUGE riffs that ride an unbelievable rhythm section. The bass is perfect really low dirty but sticks out just enough. While the drums not being technical or anything are really dynamic and powerful. They bring something that I think is sorely lacking in stoner rock/metal now a days, and that's groove. This is the type of stuff Black Sabbath, Sleep and Kyuss were made of. I shudder to think what their follow up to this mammoth will sound like.

hb420
11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
04. Cormorant - Dwellings
http://www.mindovermetal.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Cormorant-Dwellings-artwork-FINAL.jpg

Dwellings has only been in my possession for five days, but I've already listened to it relentlessly since then. It's an album that seems to only get better with time and each replay, which is a sure sign of greatness. I contemplated leaving it out of this list, but ultimately I could not do it. They seamlessly blend different styles of metal together to form their own refreshing sound. Mastodonian riff-age, the progginess of Intronaut, and the blackend folk of Agalloch are just some influences that seem to spring out. Each song is a masterwork of progressive metal, from Arthur's amazing lyrics and bass playing to the beautiful and gorgeous leads of guitarists Nick and Matt. Had this been released at least a couple of months earlier it could have been number one for me.

slapguitarer
11-30-2011, 08:20 PM
01. Cormorant - Dwellings
http://www.mindovermetal.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Cormorant-Dwellings-artwork-FINAL.jpg

Dwellings has only been in my possession for five days, but I've already listened to it relentlessly since then. It's an album that seems to only get better with time and each replay, which is a sure sign of greatness. I contemplated leaving it out of this list, but ultimately I could not do it. They seamlessly blend different styles of metal together to form their own refreshing sound. Mastodonian riff-age, the progginess of Intronaut, and the blackend folk of Agalloch are just some influences that seem to spring out. Each song is a masterwork of progressive metal, from Arthur's amazing lyrics and bass playing to the beautiful and gorgeous leads of guitarists Nick and Matt. Had this been released at least a couple of months earlier it could have been number one for me.

Fixed

idrinkwine732
11-30-2011, 08:30 PM
*Im just going to post what i said about this, from my other thread. Pretty much though if you love stoner metal your life will not be complete til you hear this cd.*

It's extremely high on mine as well.

hb420
11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
It's extremely high on mine as well.

:fist: Thats awesome to hear, more people need to check them out.

03. The Atlas Moth - An Ache For The Distance
http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/The-Atlas-Moth-An-Ache-For-The-Distance.jpg

Chicago's Atlas Moth probably made the most stunning album transition this year with "An Ache For The Distance". Going from hardcore influenced sludge metal on their first album which I thought was really mediocre. To sludgy psychedelic post metal, which also incorporates bits of black metal, doom metal, southern metal, and even post punk on one of the albums surprise highlights "Courage". For its forty four minute running time, its a complete pleasure to hear their three guitarists paint such an amazingly dreamy and trippy landscape.

02. Hammers of Misfortune - 17th Street
http://getmetal.org/uploads/posts/2011-10/1319631130_1319630914_41kqw9452fl._ss400_.jpg

Hammers of Misfortune are one of the most consistent metal bands today. Who finally made their perfect album, after years of releasing great or near great albums. They mold everything retro into a completely unique sound all of their own. You have thrashers like "Romance Valley" and "Going Somewhere", progressive epics like "The Grain"(which is probably my favorite song of the year) and "Going Somewhere", classic rock songs like "The Day The City Died" and even proto-doom in "Staring (The 31st Floor). John Cobbett is an amazing songwriter and guitarist. His riffs are delivered with razor procession, and are catchy yet completely headbang-able. His leads and solos pour out with a passion and burning emotion not seen in music in quite sometime, the stuff air guitar was meant for.

Now all that's left is #1..... ;) Anybody have a clue what it is?

Rocco44
12-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Love that Atlas Moth album. I have no idea what is #1. YOB, Loss, Primordial, Subrosa?

Seventhzealot
12-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Heiden? ;)

larvtard
12-01-2011, 06:51 AM
YOB.

hb420
12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
YOB.

Wonder what makes you say that.....;)

01. YOB - Atma

http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2011/06/YOB-Atma.jpg

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Ever since I discovered YOB late last year, they have grown to become my favorite band of all time. Nobody writes heavy music quite like they do, in my eyes probably the most underrated band of all time. I'm so glad now with "Atma", they're finally getting much needed recognition. Mike Scheidt is a doom metal god. His style of progressive playing has already shown its influence on the doom scene. With their sixth full length, they achieve something really special. They tweaked their formula to perfection by adding subtleties. The raw production which makes you focus more on the instrumentation at hand, toning down song lengths, having the longest track be the album's centerpiece(the clear cut highlight featuring Scott Kelly), and Mike dramatically improving his vocal performance. All the songs are great though, not one single dull track or moment for that matter. On "Atma" just like any YOB CD the breathtaking riffs take center stage, they leave you in awe. As they unfold, twist, turn, and are repeated til they are bashed in your head. Mike could literally decimate an entire civilization with them, that's how heavy they are. Not only that, they are played with such over whelming emotion you can't but feel it deep inside. That's really what separates them from the rest of the pack. This isn't just the best album this year. It's arguably the greatest doom record since Electric Wizard released "Dopethrone"

So how did you guys think that list came out? Now I'll do the top ten honorable mentions.....

hb420
12-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Honorable Mentions

Whitehorse - Progression
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llv5v3Jfuv1qzreax_1306515570_cover.jpg

Like Indian? Then I would recommend this band to you. Whitehorse play noise rock, drone and industrial infused sludgy death/doom. Five completely destructive cuts, that will have your ears bleeding.

Satunralia Temple - Aion of Drakon
http://images.borders.com.au/images/bau/MI000317/MI0003173350/0/0/plain/aion-of-drakon.jpg
Electric Wizard worship from this satanic Swedish band.

Leprous - Bilateral
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Vt8a8YTnjlA/TlCj9mbYB-I/AAAAAAAAF4w/sqBUyvnRB0Y/s1600/Cover.jpg
Had Hammers of Misfortune not been released, this would be my favorite progressive metal album of the year.

Burzum - Fallen
http://www.burzum.org/img/covers/big/official/2011_fallen.jpg
Not settling for just a great comeback, Varg releases strongest album yet with Fallen. The reason its so good, its the first Burzum album to actually push his sound.

Rwake - Rest
http://reigninart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Rwake-Rest.jpg
Rwake push themselves into the progressive realm with Rest and it pays off. The four epics that make up this album are powerfully awesome, filled with heavy riffs and viscous vocals.

Primordial - Redemption At The Puritan's Hand
http://www.cdeuroxpress.com/images2/039841494105.jpg
Epic Blackend Folk Metal? Yes please. And no one does it better than Primordial. This is by far their best CD.

Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ldn1ZTOb_GI/Tp7pvlKdaYI/AAAAAAAAIvI/tV7b2WkblNM/s320/Oranssi%2BPazuzu%2B-%2BKosmonument%2B%25282011%2529.jpg
Psychedelic sludgy black metal from Finland.

Seventhzealot
12-01-2011, 11:25 AM
http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2011/06/YOB-Atma.jpg

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Ever since I discovered YOB late last year, they have grown to become my favorite band of all time. Nobody writes heavy music quite like they do, in my eyes probably the most underrated band of all time. I'm so glad now with "Atma", they're finally getting much needed recognition. Mike Scheidt is a doom metal god. His style of progressive playing has already shown its influence on the doom scene. With their sixth full length, they achieve something really special. They tweaked their formula to perfection by adding subtleties. The raw production which makes you focus more on the instrumentation at hand, toning down song lengths, having the longest track be the album's centerpiece(the clear cut highlight featuring Scott Kelly), and Mike dramatically improving his vocal performance. All the songs are great though, not one single dull track or moment for that matter. On "Atma" just like any YOB CD the breathtaking riffs take center stage, they leave you in awe. As they unfold, twist, turn, and are repeated til they are bashed in your head. Mike could literally decimate an entire civilization with them, that's how heavy they are. Not only that, they are played with such over whelming emotion you can't but feel it deep inside. That's really what separates them from the rest of the pack. This isn't just the best album this year. It's arguably the greatest doom record since Electric Wizard released "Dopethrone"

So how did you guys think that list came out? Now I'll do the top ten honorable mentions.....

The rhythms on this album are fantastic. It took a couple of listens but its really growing on me now.

hb420
12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
The rhythms on this album are fantastic. It took a couple of listens but its really growing on me now.

They truly are :rocker:, and yeah with time it becomes unbelievable. :drool: What's your favorite song off the album?

Seventhzealot
12-01-2011, 11:43 AM
They truly are :rocker:, and yeah with time it becomes unbelievable. :drool: What's your favorite song off the album?

I think the title track really appealed to me on an emotional level and as good as the opening track is, I feel they really get into their element with 'Atma'. Also like the recording they use towards the end of the song.

How about you?

Solid list btw. I'm guessing quite a few of these will make it onto my list too :party:

hb420
12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I think the title track really appealed to me on an emotional level and as good as the opening track is, I feel they really get into their element with 'Atma'. Also like the recording they use towards the end of the song.

How about you?

Solid list btw. I'm guessing quite a few of these will make it onto my list too :party:

The title track is awesome, for sure the heaviest song on the CD. That main riff is unfuckwithable.

Mine is Before Dreamed of Two. The bass intro with swirling feedback and sample before it launches into the first main riff :drool: when the dual vocals between Mike and Scott kick in.Then when everything drops out over the acoutic strumming, then Scott comes in gives me goosebumps everytime. :drool:

Thanks about the list, makes it worth it for those that dig it. Can't wait to read yours as well.

Natrlhi
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
10. Red Fang - Murder The Mountains

04. Cormorant - Dwellings

03. The Atlas Moth - An Ache For The Distance

01. YOB - AtmaLove all of these. :lovedup:

Seventhzealot
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't get it. What did you change?

He changed the rank of Cormorant from 4 to 1 :tongue:

Natrlhi
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
^ :lol: Yeah, I figured that out after the fact. Should have expected that.

Seventhzealot
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
The title track is awesome, for sure the heaviest song on the CD. That main riff is unfuckwithable.

Mine is Before Dreamed of Two. The bass intro with swirling feedback and sample before it launches into the first main riff :drool: when the dual vocals between Mike and Scott kick in.Then when everything drops out over the acoutic strumming, then Scott comes in gives me goosebumps everytime. :drool:

Thanks about the list, makes it worth it for those that dig it. Can't wait to read yours as well.

Yeah I was torn between choosing from 'Atma' or 'Before dreamed of two' :D

Nice to know man although I don't think I've seen some of the albums on my list, on anyone's list here till now :lol: :eyes:

hb420
12-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Yeah I was torn between choosing from 'Atma' or 'Before dreamed of two' :D

Nice to know man although I don't think I've seen some of the albums on my list, on anyone's list here till now :lol: :eyes:

yeah me neither.

Best EP: Enslaved - The Sleeping Gods/Thorn
Best Split: Nachtmystium/Mumur (And I Haven't Even Heard It Yet, But Those Samples Sound Amazing)
Best Demo: Vastum - Carnal Law (Illuminatus, you got that right;) )
Best Re-Issue: Death - Human
Best Live Album: YOB - Live at Roadburn 2010
Best Compilation: Burzum - From The Depths of Darkness
Best Non-2011 Find: Thou - Summit

daimonos
12-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Great choice for #1. It's up there for me, too.

hb420
12-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Great choice for #1. It's up there for me, too.

Have you checked out Windhand? I'm positive you'd like that, since you're you're the other big doom/stoner/sludge lover on this board.

daimonos
12-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Have you checked out Windhand? I'm positive you'd like that, since you're you're the other big doom/stoner/sludge lover on this board.

I'll get on it.

smearCampaign
12-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Excellent list. I am not familiar with your 7 thru 9 so I've got some stuff to check out.

The title track from Atma is one of the best songs of the year, hands down.

Seventhzealot
12-02-2011, 04:00 PM
The title track from Atma is one of the best songs of the year, hands down.

:agree:

BlackDiamond
12-02-2011, 06:42 PM
05. Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-s6_jU9LrAWo/Tms5L_rb-WI/AAAAAAAAJzA/2bENGTNV-sQ/s1600/ELDER-Dead-Roots-Stirring.jpg

The sophomore effort by Elder is easily a modern classic, five amazing cuts. That make up what I believe is the best stoner metal album in the past decade at least. As soon as you press play you're hit by an onslaught of HUGE riffs that ride an unbelievable rhythm section. The bass is perfect really low dirty but sticks out just enough. While the drums not being technical or anything are really dynamic and powerful. They bring something that I think is sorely lacking in stoner rock/metal now a days, and that's groove. This is the type of stuff Black Sabbath, Sleep and Kyuss were made of. I shudder to think what their follow up to this mammoth will sound like.

:rocker: Such a phenomenal album. I had never heard of this band until you had recommended the album in a previous thread and it's some of the best shit I have heard in a while.

hb420
12-02-2011, 07:13 PM
:rocker: Such a phenomenal album. I had never heard of this band until you had recommended the album in a previous thread and it's some of the best shit I have heard in a while.

Glad you dug it, :fist: Dead Roots Stirring is supremely awesome. That's all I really want from this thread is to get people to notice these albums that they might not have before. All the bands talked about deserve to be so huge, but probably won't and that really sucks.

Smear, thanks and yeah check that stuff out if you haven't.

hb420
12-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Decided to do a list just for doom/stoner/sludge since it's the genre I know best. And I'd love to get people into some of this stuff.

1. YOB - Atma
2. The Atlas Moth - An Ache For The Distance
3. Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
4. Windhand - Windhand
5. SubRosa - No Help For The Mighty Ones (Holy shit... have I missed out when it came to this. Gave it a spin a couple of days ago and was blown the fuck away, I can't believe I slept on this.)
6. Corrupted - Garten Der Unbewusstheit
7. Red Fang - Murder The Mountains
8. Orchid - Orchid
9. Batillus - Furnace
10. Rwake - Rest
11. Premonition 13 -13
12. The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicentre
13. Morne - Asylum
14. Esoteric - Paragon of Dissonance
15. Saturnalia Temple - Aion of Drakon
16. Lo Pan - Salvador
17. Weedeater - ...Jason The Dragon