PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going Black Friday shopping?

Magson13
11-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I'll be at Best Buy by 8 PM Thursday night. Gonna be all sorts of fun times.

dcmetal108
11-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Other than a Kinect there isn't anything I want or have the money to buy. Plus camping out at a store is something I will never do.

Maiden33
Honestly, I hate all of the people going black friday shopping on Thanksgiving. Why? Because you're giving the companies all the more incentive to force their workers to work that night (or very early in the morning). Not only because you're helping them make a killing by being open, but you're basically negating the argument that "people shouldn't be working then - they should be spending the holiday at home with their families". I think I speak for everyone who works a retail job that this is getting fucking absurd.

BloodoftheKings
I don't have any money but I heard Best Buy is selling Batman and Uncharted for $30 which is a damn good deal.

powerslave_85
11-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Watching the news every year and seeing people trample each other to save a few bucks on some toys always makes me ashamed of humanity.

Jeff- yeah, all the people I know who work retail are preparing for the post-Thanksgiving season like they're going into battle.

RAZOR
11-22-2011, 06:53 PM
lolno. I'll be in a food-coma for the first half of Friday so standing around outside in the early morning is the last thing I wanna do, even if there's good deals on stuff I don't need.

illuminatus917
11-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Honestly, I hate all of the people going black friday shopping on Thanksgiving. Why? Because you're giving the companies all the more incentive to force their workers to work that night (or very early in the morning). Not only because you're helping them make a killing by being open, but you're basically negating the argument that "people shouldn't be working then - they should be spending the holiday at home with their families". I think I speak for everyone who works a retail job that this is getting fucking absurd.

It's just another example of how dominant the corporate sector is in our country.

WE'RE BECOMING A FASCIST STATE

;)

xStructualDefect
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Nah. Too much of a hassle just to save a few bucks when there's nothing that really interests me too much.

Maiden33
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I honestly did 80% of my Christmas shopping already. I much prefer to get it done way early than deal with the insanity. Especially since I live in "mall country" and the traffic down there will basically be insane from today through January 10th.

mankvill
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
I've done it before. My roomie and some friends camped out all night a few years back at a Target, and then I went up at like 5 AM and just joined them. Was one of the first people in, and it was pretty crazy. Looks like he's doing it again this year, but it seems like most places are like opening their doors at 9 PM on Thanksgiving, really negating the camping part. It's fun, but I don't really have anything I wanna buy.

PlaysWithKnives
11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Absolutely not! It's the worst day ever and it brings out the worst in people. I used to work at a mall, so I've seen first hand what this day is like. People are out of their minds. Fighting each other over items, running over each other, pushing, shoving. Acting like complete animals. All over a few bucks. Not to mention the traffic. Holy shit, you just want to beat someone with a tire iron. I don't have a very high opinion of humanity to begin with and days like this just reinforce it. Anyone who volunteers to go out to shop on Friday is just crazy

larvtard
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
indiemerchstore.com has a cool sale going on Friday... 24% off starting at mindight, decreasing 1% every hour. I plan to get a TBDM longsleeve :rocker:

:eyes: I GO TO SCHOOL IN VERMONT AND I NEED A FUCKING LONGSLEEVE SHIRT OKAY, DON'T MOCK ME

elturtleboy
11-22-2011, 09:22 PM
I always wanted to go so I can see a stampede. Too lazy tho.

illuminatus917
11-22-2011, 09:46 PM
I NEED A FUCKING LONGSLEEVE SHIRT OKAY

More like a fucking parka. I figured it'd be blizzarding up there by now.

Epidemic Reign
11-22-2011, 10:14 PM

I respect your opinion, sir, and I agree with a lot of it. Black Friday is bullshit in general. However I believe that above all else, people should just be thankful that they have jobs right now. I'm unemployed, and I would be absolutely thrilled to be going to work at 8pm on Thursday. I can spend time with my family another day, they're no less important to me when it's not Thanksgiving.

Magson13
11-23-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm getting a 42" 1080p tv for $200. I'd say that's saving more than "a few bucks."

Employees are still able to spend time with their families. The stores don't open until that night, and Thanksgiving is generally a late-afternoon dinner shindig. So it's all wrapped up by the time they would have to go to work.

xStructualDefect
11-23-2011, 12:36 AM
people should just be thankful that they have jobs right now. I'm unemployed, and I would be absolutely thrilled to be going to work at 8pm on Thursday. I can spend time with my family another day, they're no less important to me when it's not Thanksgiving.

This.

Employees are still able to spend time with their families. The stores don't open until that night, and Thanksgiving is generally a late-afternoon dinner shindig. So it's all wrapped up by the time they would have to go to work.

I usually don't agree with Magson, but he makes a good point.

IrritatedTrout
11-23-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm not in the States for Thanksgiving this year but if I was you could bet your ass I would be spending it with my family, not waiting outside a mall for stuff. However, I am going to try and get a good price on an external hard drive on Monday. That's when they do all the online sales, right?

ravenheart
11-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Amazon UK have been doing "lightning" deals for Black Friday since 8am on Monday :D

HackedUpForBBQ
11-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Nah, not this year. I don't like getting up that early only to deal with crazy traffic and people being assholes. A few years back I did see someone get punched in the face for cutting in line at Wal-Mart though, so that kinda made up for everything else

mastodon421
11-23-2011, 06:12 AM
I am going to try and pick up a couple DVD's, but I'm not going until a holy hour when most of the psychos have gone home.

Sanitarium78
11-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Exactly. From 1999-2002 I worked at a KB Toys store in a local mall and black friday is complete insanity. I never got to enjoy my thanksgiving because I was doing nothing but thinking about how we open at 4 am and I need to get to bed at like 8 on thanksgiving night. I'm not even gonna get started on dealing with the customers and their compliants and their overall ignorance of how the reatail business works.

I'm glad I don't work in retail anymore because the whole black friday thing seems more out of control than ever before. Now I see that there are stores opening at midnight on friday which is fuckin rediculous. They're taking away the entire holiday from their workers now. There's no way you can enjoy the holiday properly if you've gotta be in to work at midnight that day. In fact you don't really have a holiday if your in that situation.

makethemsuffer12
11-23-2011, 07:52 AM
I'm working. :bouville: And at Best Buy of all places. I have to be there at 11:30, Thanksgiving night, work from midnight to 8 AM, take a few hours off, and go back from 4-10 PM. Awesome.

IrritatedTrout
11-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Do you get paid time and a half or anything for working Black Friday?

Maiden33
11-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Unless people actually want to go into work with some energy, in which case most people I know who have to start work at 10pm or midnight need to take at least a few hours before it to take a nap - especially considering this is hardly "just another day of work". I don't know anyone who could do it while basically pulling an all-nighter. I've read stories all over the internet (and even from people I know personally) who are IRATE about this whole thing because it has completely fucked up their traditional plans for thanksgiving.

Also, I have to disagree with the "people should just be happy they have jobs" - that's the wrong mentality to have. Sure, having to work at 10 or midnight on thanksgiving is probably better than being unemployed - but that doesn't make it okay, and it doesn't mean that employers should be taking advantage of their employees under the ideology of "Fuck it - they should be happy they have jobs, we can do whatever we want to them".

makethemsuffer12
11-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Do you get paid time and a half or anything for working Black Friday?

I don't think so...

Indestructible
11-23-2011, 11:20 AM
All mall employees need to start boycotting the malls on thanksgiving and black friday. Just don't show up on those days. The store owners should close all the stores too. No ones holiday needs to be ruined so they can deal with the worlds greatest idiots.

IrritatedTrout
11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
So it's just not politics that you're clueless about, huh?

TonyD
11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
You really should get overtime for black friday, at least the midnight/4am shit. I picked up a shift tonight and work friday night like I usually do.
But I'll probably be going to Walmart or some place with my friends at midnight just for shits.

GarageMetal468
11-23-2011, 12:05 PM
You really should get overtime for black friday, at least the midnight/4am shit. I picked up a shift tonight and work friday night like I usually do.
But I'll probably be going to Walmart or some place with my friends at midnight just for shits.

My friend who works at Target is working midnight to 8 AM that day and he's getting paid time and a half, so it is implemented in some places.

I'm not gonna be shopping on Black Friday. There's nothing I really want that I absolutely need at a discounted price, plus dealing with the savages going crazy for things is something I also don't want to deal with.

powerslave_85
11-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Also, I have to disagree with the "people should just be happy they have jobs" - that's the wrong mentality to have. Sure, having to work at 10 or midnight on thanksgiving is probably better than being unemployed - but that doesn't make it okay, and it doesn't mean that employers should be taking advantage of their employees under the ideology of "Fuck it - they should be happy they have jobs, we can do whatever we want to them".
Precisely.

mankvill
11-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Better question:

is Friday:

Good Mourning/Black Friday

or

Rebecca Black Friday

?

SomewhereInTime72
11-24-2011, 01:07 AM
Can't it be both?

TonyD
11-24-2011, 11:27 AM
My friend who works at Target is working midnight to 8 AM that day and he's getting paid time and a half, so it is implemented in some places.

I'm not gonna be shopping on Black Friday. There's nothing I really want that I absolutely need at a discounted price, plus dealing with the savages going crazy for things is something I also don't want to deal with.

I wanna get drunk and be one with the savages, without really buying anything.

Definitely, but a lot of people don't have enough leverage to threaten to quit and until they do, it's gonna keep going.

christopher
11-24-2011, 12:01 PM
There's a 160GB PS3 bundle for $199 and a 46 inch HDTV for $300 that I'm looking to buy at midnight :D

Magson13
11-24-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm going to get in line shortly

TonyD
11-24-2011, 01:46 PM
lol

rjturtle9
11-24-2011, 04:51 PM
There's a 160GB PS3 bundle for $199 and a 46 inch HDTV for $300 that I'm looking to buy at midnight :D

I spent 700 on my 47 inch!!! And that was at a discounted price! This black Friday thing don't fuck around!

powerslave_85
11-24-2011, 05:07 PM
The chances of actually getting one of those at that price is really slim, and if you do manage to get one, it's because you spent a ridiculous amount of time in line and got a little lucky. Not worth it, IMO.

llama lom
11-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Cyber Monday>>>>>>Black Friday

All the savings from the comfort of home. Win.

MPF
11-24-2011, 06:44 PM
In case any of you guys are interested (I also posted this in the Musician's section) My band, Black Dog Rd. has just our first EP, Endeavor's Child. You can check it out on our facebook for free, and if you dig it, you can download it for 5 bucks.

https://www.facebook.com/BlackDogRd?sk=app_164380056952184

hellawaits77ny
11-24-2011, 10:17 PM
There are definately some good deals. A lot of places have Black Friday deals online. Bought some clothes for Xmas presents, and browsing Amazon + Newegg.com tonight.

:drool:

So many great PCs at great prices. Just can't justify dropping that much cash for one right before Xmas, though.

MPF
11-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Just got back from Walmart...

Gears OF War 3 was 8 Bucks...that's right 8 FUCKING DOLLARS.

I'll be back I got a few days of gameplay ahead of me.

Magson13
11-24-2011, 11:45 PM
$8? Damn. It's advertised as $30. And you can get a solid $20 tradein at Gamestop for it. Making a profit haha

christopher
11-25-2011, 01:05 AM
I got a 32 inch HDTV, a PS3, and MW3 :D

makethemsuffer12
11-25-2011, 04:52 AM
First shift down, will be back at Best Buy for 4-10. Might pick up Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3 for 30 bucks a pop (if they still have them).

ravenheart
11-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Got a nice 19" TV for my bedroom. Happy with that.

Rocco44
11-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Cm Distro has Intronaut - Valley Of Smoke lp/shirt combo for like 11 bucks. I seem to remember their shipping being expensive but that's still a great deal.

Edit: scratch that, it sold out

MPF
11-25-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm really bummed. I just beat Gears Of War 3 in 10 hours. Either I'm that good. or the game was too short. Regardless it was a fun game. Well worth 8 dollars.

treghet
11-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm really bummed. I just beat Gears Of War 3 in 10 hours. Either I'm that good. or the game was too short. Regardless it was a fun game. Well worth 8 dollars.

God damn that was fast :lol:

MPF
11-25-2011, 08:56 PM
God damn that was fast :lol:

That's what I thought. 2am to 7 am, then 6pm to 11pm. Way too fast. :lol:

hellawaits77ny
11-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I think I spent too much. Of course did some Xmas shopping @ jcp + ae's wesbites, but got a little greedy elsewhere. Did get some good deals, $80 for a 1 tb external hard drive @ newegg.com, 24% off some shirts @ indiemerchstore.com, and various other Xmass stuff. Was bummed RadioShack sold out of their TDK 75 DVD+R for $9.99 deal.

Also, my fucking computer is overheating (after I just put a new hard drive in), so I had to buy some shit to make my gf's old laptop compatible for my needs: A 1394 PCI ExpressCard and a surge protector (mine was shit anyway, so I needed a new one).

Thankfully I'll have some OT in my next paycheck.

TonyD
11-26-2011, 10:23 AM
I got 2 baseballs for $4 :eyes:

ravenheart
11-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Also, my fucking computer is overheating (after I just put a new hard drive in), so I had to buy some shit to make my gf's old laptop compatible for my needs: A 1394 PCI ExpressCard and a surge protector (mine was shit anyway, so I needed a new one).

Why didn't you just buy some cooling gear for your PC?