PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis Protesters Pepper Sprayed -- Thoughts?

Maiden33
11-20-2011, 06:50 PM
We usually don't have too many discussions about things like this on here, and I'm CERTAINLY not one to usually encourage these things, as many people have a habit of getting a little overzealous and personal with their responses, but I feel that this is something that needs to be discussed. I was just curious if anyone had any thoughts on the subject?

(Note: Thoughts OTHER than "HURRRRR THIS COUNTRY IS TURNING INTO A FASCIST STATE WITH NO RIGHT!!! HURRRRR 'MURICA")

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/uc-davis-pepper-spraying-raises-questions-about-role-of-police/2011/11/20/gIQAOr8dfN_story.html

slapguitarer
11-20-2011, 06:54 PM
fuck da police

mankvill
11-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Honestly: stupid fucking bullshit, I can't wait until this Occupy stuff reaches its breaking point and pretty much takes the next step to a revolution. I mean I know it's cheezy as hell to say it, but America is basically a giant police state.

SomewhereInTime72
11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm rather apathetic, to be honest.

ChildrenofSodom
11-20-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't like hippies, I think OWS is too fractured and annoying to make too much of a difference.

That being said: I'm pissed about the same stuff that they are pissed about. The rich in this country (or the big banks, if you will) really are getting away with murder. THAT being said, the police are not the enemies here. Young kids are pissed off, they rightly believe that the traditional political channels are unresponsive, so they are taking to the streets to make noise.

With THAT being said, the police ARE over-reacting. These raids, clearings-out, and spraying/beating of peaceful protesters is uncalled for and there needs to be a serious conversation in this country about police brutality. Sure, these individual police officers will get a slap on the wrist, paid leave, whatever...but that doesn't do anything to change the way police treat faceless crowds. I understand that facing a big angry group of people can be scary: many of them are angry at you as the face of "the man", a tiny number of them committing violent acts. But our police shouldn't be acting like thugs. The Civil Rights gained legitimacy in the 1960s when people saw peaceful protesters being beaten in the streets. I hope something similar happens here.

Maiden33
11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
These raids, clearings-out, and spraying/beating of peaceful protesters is uncalled for and there needs to be a serious conversation in this country about police brutality. Sure, these individual police officers will get a slap on the wrist, paid leave, whatever...but that doesn't do anything to change the way police treat faceless crowds. I understand that facing a big angry group of people can be scary: many of them are angry at you as the face of "the man", a tiny number of them committing violent acts. But our police shouldn't be acting like thugs. The Civil Rights gained legitimacy in the 1960s when people saw peaceful protesters being beaten in the streets. I hope something similar happens here.

Completely agreed with this. I've never, ever been one of those people who obligatorily hates cops or acts like they're the problem. I have friends who shit themselves if they are routinely pulled over. Me, I don't really care, because I generally have enough faith in the system that if you're innocent, you have no reason to worry, and so far it has never failed me. I get very annoyed at people who act like the police are the problem when THEY are the ones breaking the law, and are fully deserving of the punishment they accrue.
But this is a different issue. What happened here (and has happened elsewhere) is completely uncalled for. I tend to restrain from using the term "police brutality", because, as I've seen lately - using that term gets people into a shit-slinging match over "how bad we really have it compared to people in other countries" - as if that comparison somehow makes it alright. But there is a legitimate issue here, and it's scary. These students could've been any of us had we believed in the issue enough to protest.

ChildrenofSodom
11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
I sympathize with police. My grandpa was a cop, and I understand that wearing a badge inflates your ego and seeing a big mob is different than seeing individuals. The OWS people aren't organized so 1 person throwing a shoe at a cop gets the other 25 people around him sprayed.

treghet
11-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Keep in mind that college campuses typically have a designated area to protest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone) and I'm willing to bet that freedom does not extend to using a human chain to blockade a large sidewalk. Therefore, I have no sympathy for them in this case. Protesting is fine, but the police had every right to do what they did. There was no excessive force, they simply pepper sprayed the protesters because they were being defiant. How else are you supposed to get them to move? They're going to resist, so some sort of action must be taken.

With that being said I do feel change is needed, but this is not the way you go about trying to get it done.

Indestructible
11-20-2011, 09:56 PM
(Note: Thoughts OTHER than "HURRRRR THIS COUNTRY IS TURNING INTO A FASCIST STATE WITH NO RIGHT!!! HURRRRR 'MURICA")

I think that:D

Anyways if the protesters were not violent then they did not need to be pepper sprayed and the police who peppered sprayed the protesters need to be held responsible.

Indestructible
11-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Honestly: stupid fucking bullshit, I can't wait until this Occupy stuff reaches its breaking point and pretty much takes the next step to a revolution. I mean I know it's cheezy as hell to say it, but America is basically a giant police state.

Either my sarcasm detector is off or we agree on something.

Maiden33
11-20-2011, 10:13 PM
I think that:D

I want to make it abundantly clear that I don't think anyone is WRONG for believing that general concept - I just can't stand people who never have anything to say but just arbitrarily repeating those same talking points over and over - usually misspelled and with caps lock on.

TonyD
11-20-2011, 11:00 PM
I think that something needs to be done to completely make over the government, since I can't think of a better term. Our country was founded on the idea that if it's broke, we will fucking fix it.

I have a life, I'm not a hippie, but I tend to have a moderately liberal outlook on things, and I'm too busy with work and school to spend any of my time to wave signs and yell shit. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
As terribly as the government is running things right now it could be a lot worse. Even with unemployment over 10 percent, about 90% of people are going about their business normally or have a little less to spend due to slow business and underemployment. Until it gets worse I don't think action will really be taken to change things.
:2cents:

IrritatedTrout
11-21-2011, 02:02 AM
I think our nation has problems like any other nation. There are certain things I'd like to see "fixed" but I don't see the whole Occupy movement as being able to accomplish anything and I would never join it in it's current form. For starters I think they're protesting against the wrong people. Many in the movement claim to be against the power that corporations hold over politicians and the advantages they gain through tax loopholes and other advantages gained through political wrangling. Well, why the hell is it Occupy Wall Street and not Occupy Washington then? I don't think it's "right" but companies are doing what they should do under a capitalist economic structure-they're watching out for themselves and doing whatever they can to expand their profit margins.

It may not be pretty but that is what our system is about. However, I think the politicians that get in bed with these people should be "punished" for allowing it to happen. Corporations never went on a campaign and promised to work for the people, politicians did. They should be held accountable when they favor big businesses and their boards rather than the average member of their constituency. I think Occupy is targeting the wrong group to let their grievances known.

As far as the pepper spray goes, I think certain protestors need cleared out. Specifically the protesters in both Oakland and Philly. Both have had the police crack down on them in the past few weeks and both deserved it. In Oakland they were blocking access to one of the ports and truck drivers were unable to deliver their cargo, something that hurts the drivers worse than any big business. In Philly they were blocking a large construction job so the crews couldn't get in to work. These are average Joe's out there just trying to support their family. To separate them from their wages just to make your fucking political point, that's not acceptable. These are the fucks that need clubbed over the head when they don't comply and leave.

As far as these kids go, it does seem like an unnecessary use of force. If they really needed cleared out then I don't see why the simply couldn't have been moved like they were after they were sprayed. The only thing I can really say in the police officer's defense is he did seem to make it clear that he was about to spray them, he didn't just quick-draw his canister and start blasting them with no notice.

ChildrenofSodom
11-21-2011, 05:21 AM
A bunch of 18 year olds were sitting on the sidewalk. Big fucking deal.

DethMaiden
11-21-2011, 07:34 AM
http://peppersprayingcop.tumblr.com/

IrritatedTrout
11-21-2011, 08:37 AM
The Pink Floyd picture is great.:lol:

illuminatus917
11-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I want to make it abundantly clear that I don't think anyone is WRONG for believing that general concept - I just can't stand people who never have anything to say but just arbitrarily repeating those same talking points over and over - usually misspelled and with caps lock on.

It'd be somewhat inaccurate to call our country a fascist state, but it'd also be inaccurate to not recognize the fascist tendencies it has. Anyone interested in this should read Stanley Payne and juxtapose his observations on European fascism with the American model. Pretty interesting stuff.

Natrlhi
11-21-2011, 09:56 AM
^ Lookit this goofball 'specting ppl to "read" and "juxtapose". Negro, please. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
11-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Using the word fascist or communist when referring to American politics automatically warrants my disapproval. Reductio ad Hitlerum pisses me off. Not sure if there is a "commie" equivalent. (Reductio ad communum?)

illuminatus917
11-21-2011, 11:57 AM
^ Lookit this goofball 'specting ppl to "read" and "juxtapose". Negro, please. ;)

You're right, my expectations are far too high. ;)

Using the word fascist or communist when referring to American politics automatically warrants my disapproval. Reductio ad Hitlerum pisses me off. Not sure if there is a "commie" equivalent. (Reductio ad communum?)

Generally mine too, but mostly because of the colloquial looseness in which derogatory "nazi"-type terms are thrown around to describe American politicians. But if you're going to be serious about examining facets of political systems it's a mistake to not recognize that different systems are comprised of similar characteristics. And they don't necessarily have to be economic characteristics, but goals and ideology, negations, etc. I see virtually no similarities between the American model and the exercised communist models. But fascism is a different story.

ChildrenofSodom
11-21-2011, 12:17 PM
States have only been organized in a modern for the past, what, 400 years? Of course there are going to be similarities along the continuum of different systems. That doesn't mean America is "fascist." My biggest beef with people who say America is becoming more "fascist" or "communist" is that it doesn't enrich the conversation. "I disagree with policy A because it is fascist!" Well, that isn't saying anything. Explain why that policy is bad, provide some examples or cite legal precendent, give me your philosophical objection to it, and/or provide some alternatives. Just saying its a "Nazi plan" is worthless. Then again, "The Patriot Act is a dramatic departure from habeas corpus and grants the President unprecedented unilateral control" and "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act unfairly requires citizens to participate in the market for health insurance" don't look as good on protest signs.

Wizzbang11
11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
It's all a lie, what they try and sell you. If they can't make a case, they're gonna frame you. Wanted or on bail you can never be free.
It's time to take action, kill the police.

illuminatus917
11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
It's time to take action, kill the police.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6447/screenshot20111121at336.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/screenshot20111121at336.png/)

dcmetal108
11-21-2011, 12:39 PM
I can't rule on either side for this.

I mean yes the police did use unnecessary force yet at the same time you know the protesters were pushing the police to a breaking point.

The whole Occupy thing is getting on my nerve because on the news they CONSTANTLY show it and I mean its gotten to the point where I honestly think at least half the people there don't care and are only there to be a part of it. Also they showed some of the damage from the parks in NYC i think it was and these people are creating HUGE messes. They make it worse for the people that have to help run it or clean it and everything. They want to protest over it all but don't care anymore really.

In words I agree with the Frank Miller (guy that created Sin City comics etc) where he said the protesters are just a bunch of bored criminals or something along those lines.

brutal_descent
11-21-2011, 12:39 PM
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/6447/screenshot20111121at336.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/screenshot20111121at336.png/)

http://escobar300.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/ice_cube-2.jpg

Wizzbang11
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM

More
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8591/37332088.png
actually, ;)

ChildrenofSodom
11-21-2011, 01:28 PM
In words I agree with the Frank Miller (guy that created Sin City comics etc) where he said the protesters are just a bunch of bored criminals or something along those lines.

But they aren't doing anything criminal....99% of them anyway.

treghet
11-21-2011, 01:54 PM

I see what you did there.

powerslave_85
11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I started out the whole cops vs. OWS thing trying to come up with more coherent feelings then FUCK YOU, PIGS, but they're making it pretty hard.

dcmetal108
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM

True but I don't think he meant actual criminals.

ChildrenofSodom
11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
It also grinds my gears (nb4 family guy pic) when people say that the protesters needs to "shut up and go get a job". "Isn't McDonalds hiring?" Are you serious? 9% unemployed, not counting all the discouraged workers and underemployed, and Frank Miller, Newt Gingrich, and Herman Cain think its just as easy as "getting off your ass and getting a job"? Out of touch.

Frank Miller's Batman comics have been very Tea Party-esque lately, and his Islamophobic Holy Terror is despicable. Which isn't a surprise considering 300.

powerslave_85
11-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Frank Miller can go fuck himself.

JRA
11-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Frank Miller can go fuck himself.

long......... and hard.

mankvill
11-21-2011, 04:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xIjcR.jpg

dcmetal108
11-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Thats awsome!

Who wouldn't take that if coming from Leo!

SomewhereInTime72
11-22-2011, 02:40 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just afraid of waking up my housemate from laughing at this shit.

Indestructible
11-22-2011, 10:03 AM
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/pregnant-seattle-protester-miscarries-after-

November 22, 2011 07:00 AM
Pregnant #OccupySeattle Protester Miscarries After Being Kicked, Pepper Sprayed
By David

"A woman who was pepper sprayed during during a raid on Occupy Seattle last week is blaming police after she miscarried Sunday.

Jennifer Fox, 19, told The Stranger that she had been with the Occupy protests since they started in Westlake Park. She said she was homeless and three months pregnant, but felt the need to join activists during their march last Tuesday.

"I was standing in the middle of the crowd when the police started moving in," Fox recalled. "I was screaming, 'I am pregnant, I am pregnant. Let me through. I am trying to get out.'"

She claimed that police hit her in the stomach twice before pepper spraying her. One officer struck her with his foot and another pushed his bicycle into her. It wasn't clear if either of those incidents were intentional.

"Right before I turned, both cops lifted their pepper spray and sprayed me. My eyes puffed up and my eyes swelled shut," Fox said.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer photographer Joshua Trujillo snapped a picture of Fox in apparent agony as another activist carried her to an ambulance.

Seattle fire department spokesman Kyle Moore told The Washington Post that a 19-year-old pregnant woman was among those that were examined by paramedics.

While doctors at Harborview Medical Center didn't see any problems at the time, things took a turn for the worst Sunday.

"Everything was going okay until yesterday, when I started getting sick, cramps started, and I felt like I was going to pass out," she explained.

When Fox arrived at the hospital, doctors told her that the baby had no heartbeat.

"They diagnosed that I was having a miscarriage. They said the damage was from the kick and that the pepper spray got to it [the fetus], too," she said.

"I was worried about it [when I joined the protests], but I didn't know it would be this bad. I didn't know that a cop would murder a baby that's not born yet... I am trying to get lawyers."

The Scoville heat chart indicates that U.S. grade pepper spray is ten times more painful than the blistering hot habanero pepper, according to Scientific American. While law enforcement officials regulary claim that the spray is safe, researchers at the University of North Carolina and Duke University found that it could "produce adverse cardiac, respiratory, and neurologic effects, including arrhythmias and sudden death."

ravenheart
11-22-2011, 10:20 AM
:eyes:

mankvill
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv0stiic4R1qe0wclo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1322020272&Signature=g%2F7MB6CTincLgDNmyrTR0S0jOHA%3D

IrritatedTrout
11-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Nice unbiased source. I'm not a mod so maybe I can't make this call but I don't think we need more than one topic about this. This place isn't for politics, I know a political topic may come up once or twice and I think the general consensus is that that is ok but I don't think we need two on the first page about a very similar subject.

treghet
11-22-2011, 11:23 AM
This made me laugh.

Hello citizens of the world, we are Anonymous.

We come to you with an important message regarding the Police State in which you live that shall not go unheard. Since the genesis of the Occupy Wall Street protests, the amounts of bullying by the police and the powers that bee has continued to grow.
It is quite difficult to engage in a peaceful protest when you come bearing arms like we're flies to the swatter. We are here to inform you that it will not be tolerated any longer. As president John F. Kennedy once said, "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." This is not to say that we will not remain peaceful, so much as you appear to be breeding more violence. You are only putting yourselves to shame.
Last week, UC Davis police Lieutenant, John Pike showered a group of silently seated pupils with pepper spray. There is no excuse. Students pay to attend Universities all around the world, the last thing needed are police using excessive force. You are losing sight of what it means to protect and and to serve.

John Pike, your dox are widely available. You, your team, and your surrounding support shall stop reporting videos such as this to have them removed by YouTube. People of the internet, mirror this video to shove a wedge in their crack, and break it a little bit more.

Today, 5,000 UC Davis students decided to make Monday, November 28 a general strike. No work, no school. Students from all 10 UC campuses are already in support. Spread the word, heed the message. The revolution is of ourselves.

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
Expect us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgOLoYxjiM8

daimonos
11-22-2011, 01:08 PM
The thing I don't get...is why the hell these kids didn't get up and fucking move before they got pepper sprayed? That would seem like a logical idea, wouldn't it?

mankvill
11-22-2011, 01:13 PM
The thing I don't get...is why the hell these kids didn't get up and fucking move before they got pepper sprayed? That would seem like a logical idea, wouldn't it?

That's like saying: "Why didn't those people doing sit-in's in the 60's just get up and move before they got arrested?"

daimonos
11-22-2011, 01:31 PM
If they believe so strongly about their cause that they're going to continue to sit still in silence when there's a can of pepper spray in their face, then good for them, but then they can't complain when it actually happens.

mankvill
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
If they believe so strongly about their cause that they're going to continue to sit still in silence when there's a can of pepper spray in their face, then good for them, but then they can't complain when it actually happens.

I think you're missing the point. They're angry because riot police are using pepper spray (among other things) to break up peaceful protests, which are legal.

daimonos
11-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I think you're missing the point. They're angry because riot police are using pepper spray (among other things) to break up peaceful protests, which are legal.

Understandable. But if the police are telling them that they need to move and they're not listening, it doesn't surprise me or make me upset that the police would use force.

idrinkwine732
11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Understandable. But if the police are telling them that they need to move and they're not listening, it doesn't surprise me or make me upset that the police would use force.

It's against the law that the police swear to uphold, so yeah, it should make people upset.

mankvill
11-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Up until I started reading the news and getting actually involved with politics (to an extent), I'd totally agree with you. But this is kind of getting out of hand. I don't want to come off as Indestructible here, but it might be getting to a point where the police are abusing their power, like "A COP SAID TO DO THIS, YOU MUST DO IT"

TonyD
12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
So now that this defense authorization act is passed should I be crying police state and whatnot? I need the internet to tell me what to think.

jd091
12-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Totally missed this thread, and I haven't read through it, but am I the only black hearted bastard here who thinks it's fucking hilarious what happened to those kids and that they probably deserved it?

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow...

jd091
12-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Wow...

;)

Seriously though... only one?

ravenheart
12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Well, I know our versions of the Occupy thing have been somewhat different to yours, but they are fucking annoying... if I could, I'd pepper spray the fuckers myself just to get them out of my damn way. Fortunately, they haven't bothered doing anything in any locations which have bothered me, so I don't really care.

But all this crap about fighting back is bullshit. At least here, anyway. Most of them don't even understand what they're being told the problem is. And when asked about it, all they have to offer are vague statements they've copied from someone else.

It's pathetic and it isn't achieving anything.

jd091
12-04-2011, 04:37 PM

Pretty much my thoughts. Wouldn't mind if they actually had a clear goal in mind.

illuminatus917
12-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Pretty much my thoughts. Wouldn't mind if they actually had a clear goal in mind.

The Egyptians didn't have a clear goal in mind when they started protesting in Tahrir Square.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 04:46 PM
If you think any person or group is too small to make a difference, try falling asleep with a mosquito in the room.

ChildrenofSodom
But all this crap about fighting back is bullshit. At least here, anyway. Most of them don't even understand what they're being told the problem is. And when asked about it, all they have to offer are vague statements they've copied from someone else.

I don't know if you have "Tea Party" right-wing activists where you are (Thatcherites?), but that shit applies both ways. Do you think the upper-middle class suburban moms really know or care about tax equality, the Constitution, or health care reform? No! They're being fed bullshit lines to get them riled up, and allows them to vent other social and racial anxieties. YET! you would not advocate pepper spraying all of these well-off folks protesting. Just the young, poor, loud kids in the street.

street_burial
Totally missed this thread, and I haven't read through it, but am I the only black hearted bastard here who thinks it's fucking hilarious what happened to those kids and that they probably deserved it?

no I'm with you on that.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 05:02 PM
SMH Ter....

ravenheart
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't know if you have "Tea Party" right-wing activists where you are (Thatcherites?), but that shit applies both ways. Do you think the upper-middle class suburban moms really know or care about tax equality, the Constitution, or health care reform? No! They're being fed bullshit lines to get them riled up, and allows them to vent other social and racial anxieties. YET! you would not advocate pepper spraying all of these well-off folks protesting. Just the young, poor, loud kids in the street.

Yes, I would. That's exactly the same as this stuff. Total ignorance and protesting mostly for the sake of it.

But it's mostly just people getting in my way I'd pepper spray. Ignorant protesters, dawdling tourists... and people who get the bottom of an escalator and stop while they decide which direction they need to go... I don't really care.

masterguy49
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
SMH Ter....

WTF IS TER.

PLEASE.
JUST PLEASE STOP SAYING TER.
CAN WE LIKE BAN A WORD FROM OUR BOARDS OR SOME SHIT.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 05:19 PM
You know not of TER?? I feel sorry for you my friend.

street_burial
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I believe it is some sort of retarded way of saying the word Tour.

jd091
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
WTF IS TER.

PLEASE.

/dying

And so we've come to the conclusion that everybody everywhere on all sides are complete idiots, right?

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Tard. Ter.

MPF
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Republicans: Shitty Ideas
Democrats: No Ideas
3 Parties: Can't Be Taken Serious

No matter what side you take, you're fucked!

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Exactly, that's why people need to evolve beyond thinking that politics needs to be about who's side your on.

Dextrimental
12-04-2011, 05:41 PM
The Occupy movement over here achieved absolutely nothing, and just looked like a bunch of people were waiting for some sort of festival or concert. It was a mild inconvenience to some people, but protests like this don't really achieve much more than create masses of propaganda and provide an excuse for young people to make a loud nuisance of themselves in the name of some cause that sounds radical and free-thinking in title and on paper but is actually grossly misinformed.

I disapprove of the police using pepper spray or aggressive action towards any of the protestors, as the protest was peaceful, therefore the reaction should have been of peaceful ignorance.

ChildrenofSodom
12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Republicans: Shitty Ideas
Democrats: No Ideas

You got that backwards. Democrats are stereotypes as being too activist, doing too much. And Republicans advocate for doing less. Nice try though. Case example: the recent super committee failure.

/politicalscience

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Have any of you guys actually hung out at Occupy? I'm just curious cause of how many people are saying everyone is just uninformed.

Dextrimental
12-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Have any of you guys actually hung out at Occupy? I'm just curious cause of how many people are saying everyone is just uninformed.

I have, at least in the Dublin one. About 1 in 10 actually knew what they were really talking about, the rest copied that one person, or just gave me back info that was clearly lifted off Facebook and flyers advertising said movement.

ChildrenofSodom
12-04-2011, 05:46 PM
The Occupy movement over here achieved absolutely nothing, and just looked like a bunch of people were waiting for some sort of festival or concert. It was a mild inconvenience to some people, but protests like this don't really achieve much more than create masses of propaganda and provide an excuse for young people to make a loud nuisance of themselves in the name of some cause that sounds radical and free-thinking in title and on paper but is actually grossly misinformed.

I disapprove of the police using pepper spray or aggressive action towards any of the protestors, as the protest was peaceful, therefore the reaction should have been of peaceful ignorance.

Do any protests achieve anything? Has anyone in politics recently made a different by waving signs in front of buildings?

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 05:47 PM
People like that are everywhere though, you can't judge a movement based on that. By that logic no group of people can be taken seriously cause they all have their share of stupid people. I met a ton of intelligent people at Occupy Minneapolis when I hung out there for a couple weeks in October/early November.

jd091
12-04-2011, 05:48 PM
You got that backwards. Democrats are stereotypes as being too activist, doing too much. And Republicans advocate for doing less. Nice try though. Case example: the recent super committee failure.

/politicalscience

I think MPF is just taking a shot at humor. :lol:

jd091
12-04-2011, 05:51 PM

That's kind of the same way I feel about Tea Parties, you know? I went to a couple a while ago, and saw a lot of nice, mature, intelligent people who knew what they were talking about. Yeah, there were some idiots, but when are there ever not idiots? Occupy has the smart people and idiots too. So they're really not all that different in that aspect. It just comes down to what you personally believe what is right.

Dextrimental
12-04-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm just going by what I've experienced in the Dublin side of things, it could be different elsewhere, maybe it is, but the one in Dublin seemed largely pointless and just proved to be a nuisance. Maybe it will make a difference in the long run, I don't know.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Do any protests achieve anything? Has anyone in politics recently made a different by waving signs in front of buildings?

The more people talk/report about it, the more people will look into it.

US congressmen Peter King had this to say about Occupy:

"We have to be careful not to allow this to gain any legitimacy, I'm taking this seriously in that I'm old enough to remember the '60s when the left wing took to the streets and somehow the media glorified them and it ended up shaping policy. We can't allow that to happen."

jd091
12-04-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm just going by what I've experienced in the Dublin side of things, it could be different elsewhere, maybe it is, but the one in Dublin seemed largely pointless and just proved to be a nuisance. Maybe it will make a difference in the long run, I don't know.

Sorry for posting so much recently, but I actually mainly hate these Occupy movements because in Chicago, on the streets everywhere I go, they spraypaint "OCCUPY CHICAGO" stencils everywhere on the sidewalks. So annoying to see everyday.

MPF
12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I think MPF is just taking a shot at humor. :lol:

That's all it was. :lol:

the point at the end still stands. no matter what side you are on, you're fucked.

ravenheart
12-04-2011, 06:31 PM
The London version of occupy mostly consisted of the upstart students who just spend most of their time itching for a cause to whine about, valid or not, the jobless, and a bunch of hypocrites who worked well-paid jobs during the day, then went to drink in a tent in the evening.

All rather amusing, to be honest.

treghet
12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
WTF IS TER.

PLEASE.

Which reminds me... I wish we had word filters here. It would make everything so much more entertaining.

treghet
12-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Probably the best post in this thread. :lol:

daimonos
12-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm with you, JD.

TonyD
12-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Which reminds me... I wish we had word filters here. It would make everything so much more entertaining.

You're all Candy-asss

TonyD
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Also why was the other thread that wazoo started closed?

mankvill
12-04-2011, 09:47 PM
You're all Candy-asss

Shut up you Roodypoo

jd091
12-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Also why was the other thread that wazoo started closed?

Were you reading it? It was getting way out of hand.

treghet
12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Were you reading it? It was getting way out of hand.

Were some posts deleted? I wasn't online when the thread was active.

BloodoftheKings
12-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Shut up you Roodypoo

Stop trying to make this forum like newt gingrich.

street_burial
12-05-2011, 05:09 AM
You're all Candy-asss

Shut up you Roodypoo

Stop trying to make this forum like newt gingrich.

all 3 of you shut the hell up :eyes:

treghet
12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
all 3 of you shut the hell up :eyes:

Yeeeahhh those weren't the kind of word filters I was thinking of :lol:

4chan tards... :hecho:

powerslave_85
12-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Another board I'm on did that...with random, innocuous words. And kept it a secret which words they filtered. So every once in a while, someone will use a word like "jungle" and it will turn into a paragraph of jibberish :lol:

Epidemic Reign
12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
I wish we could filter out "hipster"

...and "mastodon" :D

El Gordo
12-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Another board I'm on did that...with random, innocuous words. And kept it a secret which words they filtered. So every once in a while, someone will use a word like "jungle" and it will turn into a paragraph of jibberish :lol:

My most favourite instance of that is on the metal-rules boards any time anyone typed "Nu-metal" it got changed to "Mallcore". Beautiful.

treghet
12-05-2011, 06:08 PM

That's the kind of stuff I was thinking of. :lol: