PDA

View Full Version : Devin Townsend's The Retinal Circus, October 27th, 2012

MPF
11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
With last week's more than highly successful the DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT album shows in London done and over, it's time for the Canadian musician/producer to focus on bigger things. Much bigger things… In fact, the biggest show he's ever done.

Commented Devin: "This last week was probably THE defining moment in my life, let alone my career, in many ways.

"I've had some intense gigs and experiences in music before, but all pale in comparison to the four sold-out shows in London where we played all four DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT records, with four different bands, night after night. Everyone worked incredibly hard, and each of us gave 100% to pull it off, bands, players, management, label, and audience. It was awesome!

"So here's the next big gig: Next October 27th, at the amazing Roundhouse in London, We're putting on the most definitive 'Devin' show to date. A culmination of my ENTIRE career with a star lineup and full supporting cast.

"The show is being called 'The Retinal Circus', (named after an old Vancouver club in the '60s, famous for psychedelic rock shows) and will be more than just a musical performance… there will be an art exhibition, actors, Ziltoid, stilt walkers, fire breathers… you name it.

"My goal has always been to make SHOWS, and this is the first opportunity I have been given to do a high-end production that puts it all together! It's the closest Saturday to Halloween, and the goal is to make something amazing that we can all enjoy… details to come… psychedelic!

"My career has been full of amazing musicians, and there will be plenty of them present at this show, and I'll be playing music that has never been attempted due to the size of the songs and the need for certain things. It will be recorded for a DVD, of course, and it's going to be a pretty intense experience… We have a year to make it perfect, so I just wanted to give you some hints! The VIP package will be available with special goodies among other exclusive things.

"Anyways, I'm back to work here…

"I hope to see you there. I'm beyond excited to have this opportunity; we're not taking it lightly!"

General-admission tickets will go on sale tomorrow (Friday, November 18) via the HevyDevy.com web site, where also 50 very exclusive VIP tickets will be made available. The content for these VIP packages may change slightly leading up to the date but confirmed for now are:

* Meet-and-greet with the full band
- Early entry to the show to get the best seats (might change to reserved seating; to be confirmed)
* Tour of the venue showing the production and everything else that goes with it.
* Have your picture taken with Devin and/or band by a professional photographer.
* High-quality Devin Townsend bag containing:
* VIP laminate and lanyard
* Exclusive VIP t-shirt
* Exclusive VIP tour poster printed on canvas
* Additional goodies confirmed though exact specs to be confirmed

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/devinretinal.jpg

Time to get those visas and start saving up kiddies. :drool::drool::drool:

InFlamesOfBirchmen
11-17-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.kosherham.com/v/vspfiles/photos/30_Rock_shirt_KosherHam-2.gif

ShatteredFlame
11-17-2011, 07:36 PM
http://gunshyassassin.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/devinretinal.jpg

Reminds me of Slappy from Goosebumps, who I was scared of when I was little. Which is awesome.

Magson13
11-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Hopefully since so much effort is going into this show, it'll turn into a tour

ShatteredFlame
11-17-2011, 08:11 PM
It'd be cool if he brought it to like Radio City Music Hall at least.

BloodoftheKings
11-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Reminds me of Slappy from Goosebumps, who I was scared of when I was little. Which is awesome.

Good to know i'm not the only one. :eyes:

Epidemic Reign
11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Good to know i'm not the only one. :eyes:

Me too :fist:

BloodoftheKings
11-17-2011, 08:39 PM
Me too :fist:

Just to clear things up the black slappy from the book covers didn't scare me. It was the white one from the tv show that scared the fuck out of me.

ShatteredFlame
11-17-2011, 08:56 PM
both scared me.

mastodon421
11-18-2011, 03:48 AM
both scared me.

Me too. My friends would always be douchebags when I was 7 or 8 and just hold the book cover in front of my face and it scared the shit out of me. White Slappy I don't recall as vividly, but I know it also scared the shit out of me.

makethemsuffer12
11-18-2011, 05:10 AM
One thing I could hope for from this is that he'd play some SYL... Not holding my breath though.

BloodoftheKings
11-18-2011, 05:13 AM
One thing I could hope for from this is that he'd play some SYL... Not holding my breath though.

He said it's an accumulation of his ENTIRE career so that should mean there's gonna be SYL songs.

TonyD
11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
He said it's an accumulation of his ENTIRE career so that should mean there's gonna be SYL songs.

I'm assuming he's doing at least a couple.

MPF
11-18-2011, 11:59 AM
To make things even better. Devin is coming back to my neck of the woods December 6th (2 and a half weeks) to Eau Claire , WI

https://www.facebook.com/events/263624753689262/

December 6th is going to be one of the worst days of my life, but will be one of the best nights of my life.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
He'll have to come back to Atlanta sometime, right? :eyes: RIIIGHT?! Enjoy the show, this guy never disappoints.

As for the Slappy comparison: Book covers > TV show. The TV show Slappy was only creepy because of his voice. The version from the book covers is creepy aesthetically. Good lord, how I miss Goosebumps...

MPF
11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I know this isn't for the London show, but if anyone wants to hear my work. I was asked to make a promo spot for the Eau Claire, Wisconsin show December 6th.

Check it out and see how good/shitty I do at making commercials

http://soundcloud.com/jrundquist/devin-townsend-commercial

makethemsuffer12
11-20-2011, 06:56 PM
I know this isn't for the London show, but if anyone wants to hear my work. I was asked to make a promo spot for the Eau Claire, Wisconsin show December 6th.

Check it out and see how good/shitty I do at making commercials

http://soundcloud.com/jrundquist/devin-townsend-commercial
It's pretty good dude, aside from that shitty edit where you (or whoever did the voiceover) say "All the awesome metal". But overall not bad. I'd probably have a part where you had just the music playing (just a short clip with some of Devy's vox) and no voiceover. I liked how you put the "OMFG" intro at the end haha.

MPF
11-20-2011, 08:44 PM
It's pretty good dude, aside from that shitty edit where you (or whoever did the voiceover) say "All the awesome metal". But overall not bad. I'd probably have a part where you had just the music playing (just a short clip with some of Devy's vox) and no voiceover. I liked how you put the "OMFG" intro at the end haha.

That was all me. :D

I totally forgot to add that I fixed it up for the real version. I fixed that part up right after I heard it. I put up this version and have the official one fixed up for FM play. I guess for some reason I can't put the FM version up even thought I made it. :confused:

The only reason I didn't add any Dev singing music clips is because I had to get all of that said in the commercial, and keep it under a minute. 2 seconds of Dev singing is too much of a cock tease to enjoy. haha

I put in the Ziltoid and OMFG parts in myself. I thought they would make the commercial a lot more fun to listen to.

But thanks for checking it out. :rocker:

MPF
11-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Updated Tour Poster for the rest of 2011. The band, Today I Caught The Plague has been added to the bill:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/388870_303642436327752_134347786590552_1079427_237 4151_n.jpg

BloodoftheKings
10-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Renowned multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter, producer and now ringleader, Devin Townsend is gearing up for one of his biggest accomplishments to date: The Retinal Circus. Set to take place on October 27 at London, England's historic Roundhouse venue, this one-night-only event will be recorded for both DVD and Blu-ray, likely to be released sometime in the second quarter of 2013 via InsideOut Music.

The Retinal Circus has been sold out for over a year now; however, fans worldwide can still watch this event live online, thanks to Northern Music Company and InsideOut Music in association with Live Music Stage.

To watch Devin Townsend's The Retinal Circus online, go to this location to purchase your tickets (tickets can be bought now for £7.99, which is roughly $13 and €10; PayPal and all major credit cards are taken). Then on October 27 at 7 p.m. GMT (8 p.m. CET / 2 p.m. EST / 11 a.m. PST / 2 a.m. Perth / 3 a.m. Tokyo / 5 a.m. Melbourne time), head back over to the same location, log in with your ticket number and watch the folly unfold.

Devin describes The Retinal Circus as "a retrospective of my career in music to date, with the central theme being a metaphor of how life and the adventures therein are a 'circus' of sorts. The show involves a cast of characters and guests that support this theme through carnival type performances. A story about how a troubled young man dreams of fantastic scenarios, (illustrated through the music of my back catalogue), which ultimately crests in the characters realization that life is all about the relationships we have with each other. This is the first opportunity I have been given to make theatrical representations of my music."

This three-hour-plus performance will include:

* A retrospective of Devin Townsend's entire career
* Full choir and theatrical cast
* Visual and aural enhancements unlike any show Devin has done to date
* Several special guests
* Circus and carnival performances and cast
* Art exhibit of Devin's albums, including explanations of each album

If I wind up not going to Napalm Death i'll tune in to the stream. $13 is kind of a rip off but I really want to see this.

Nater
10-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm honestly glad I never found that book when I was a kid. The show scared me so much at 4 in the afternoon I would have crapped myself if I had read the book before bed.

dcmetal108
10-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I'll just wait for the blu ray copy to come out.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Time to necro the hell out of this thread!

For those with Spotify, the album is out now. I had no idea it was supposed to be a story-based performance! So far it's pretty solid. You'll also be happy to know that the cover is now far less terrifying.