PDA

View Full Version : Sir Pigmeister

Triggz
11-16-2011, 03:00 PM
While you may not be into such music...

The 'dangerous teen trend' is, apparently, a threat to national stability and anti-emo legislation is being drawn up to outlaw kids sporting black hair with fringes that 'cover half the face'

Sean Michaels 21/07/2008 guardian.co.uk

First came the Chechens, then ethnic Georgians, and then maverick journalists. But now Russia's cracking down on a different social group, a demographic they see threatening the very future of their country. These rebels have pierced lips, ridiculous haircuts and too much eyeshadow. They're barbarians in bowler hats, leather jackets and torn-up tights. Yes, emo has come to Russia and its leaders want no part of it.

Last month the State Duma held a hearing on "Government Strategy in the Sphere of Spiritual and Ethical Education", a piece of legislation aimed at curbing "dangerous teen trends". There, without a clue in the world, social conservatives lumped "emos" together with skinheads, pushing for heavy regulation of emo websites and the banning of emo and goth fashion from schools and government buildings.

"The point of the bill is so that by 2020, Moscow will have someone to rule its government," explained Alexander Grishunin, an adviser to bill sponsor Yevgeny Yuryev, apparently without irony. "This is the first step in the public discourse."

Yuryev and his allies hope to pass the legislation before the end of the year.

Emo music emerged from Washington, DC in the mid-1980s, offering an "emotional" take on hardcore punk. The genre saw a rebirth in the late 1990s and 2000s, adopting elements of glam and goth culture, and integrating a stronger pop influence. Bands like My Chemical Romance and Dashboard Confessional hit Moscow record shops in 2003, and before long teens with dark lipstick and shoulder bags were lounging glumly at the All-Russia Exhibition Centre and Pushkin Square.

The new bill describes "emos" as 12-16 year-olds with black and pink clothing, studded belts, painted fingernails, ear and eyebrow piercings, and black hair with fringes that "cover half the face". Emo culture's "negative ideology" may encourage depression, social withdrawal and even suicide, the bill alleges with young girls being particularly vulnerable.

"Of course, there are emo teens who just listen to their music. But our actions are not directed at them but rather at those who also hurt themselves, commit suicide and promote those acts," bill co-author Igor Ponkin explained to the Moscow Times. Though we are not certain how Ponkin intends to target people who have committed suicide, he certainly seems determined.

Emo-lovers insist that there is nothing wrong with being gloomy and wearing strange clothes. "Expressing psychological emotions is not forbidden by law," underlined Dmitry Gilevich of the Russian emo band MAIO.

In the UK, emo kids took to the streets to protest their portrayal in the media, particularly tabloid allegations that emo music had compelled otherwise sunny teens into committing suicide. In Russia, the stakes are even higher at protests this weekend, teenagers were speaking out against lawmakers who equate their fashion sense, and their community, with criminality and Nazism.

Dozens of black-clad music fans marched in Krasnoyarsk, Siberia, where the government is fast-tracking anti-emo legislation. "How can you stop people from expressing themselves, from dressing how they like, from living a way of life that doesn't harm anyone?" one protester asked on REN TV. Others held placards saying "Kill the State in Yourself" and "A Totalitarian State Encourages Stupidity", both of which would make terrific emo song titles.

And while we would hope that Russian music nerds would rally around persecuted emo fans, their plight so similar to history's arbitrary, vaguely homophobic crackdowns on disco, hippies and early rockers, many music-lovers are still accusing the genre of selling out. "It used to be honest and real," bemoaned Russian musician Sergei Vel. "Now it all faded and merged into the mainstream."

Not to worry, Sergei if Russian legislators have their way, emo will be excised from the mainstream like a melancholy, pierced, black-shellacked cancer.

christopher
11-16-2011, 03:36 PM
:lol:

GarageMetal468
11-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Why can't this be established in America?

BloodoftheKings
11-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Between this and juggalos being labeled as criminals it appears governments are getting smarter.

Epidemic Reign
11-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Though we are not certain how Ponkin intends to target people who have committed suicide, he certainly seems determined.

:lol::lol::lol:

treghet
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Did this come from The Onion? :lol:

brutal_descent
11-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Did this come from The Onion? :lol:

No, this shit is real. :D

IrritatedTrout
11-17-2011, 12:52 AM
inb4 butthurt from one of the usual suspects.

ravenheart
11-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me :eyes:

Epidemic Reign
11-17-2011, 03:24 AM
I just noticed the date on the article. How'd they make out with that?

Triggz
11-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Yeah I was informed yesterday shortly after posting this that it was very old. Oh well :lol:

illuminatus917
11-17-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure I've discussed this with brutal descent at some time in the not so distant past.

brutal_descent
11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty sure I've discussed this with brutal descent at some time in the not so distant past.

Yes, you have :3

Indestructible
11-17-2011, 05:32 PM
This will not pass, it is not law, this does not invole and element of harm to another. You can only break the law if you harm someone, violate someones rights or damage anothers property. Wearing black clothes, being gloomy, wearing make up, listening to a certain kind of music does not fall into harming someone, violation of rights or damage of property. And don't give me the excuse that things work different in Russia than they do America, what I said can apply everywhere in the world, it is just common sense. Are their "emo" kids who break the law? I'm sure their are, but you can't punish the ones in that group who did nothing wrong. What is really going to happen to an emo kid if they are caught wearing certains clothes etc.? Will they be taking to court? As corrupt as the justice system is the judge will throw the case out at one glance.

treghet
11-17-2011, 06:01 PM
And don't give me the excuse that things work different in Russia than they do America, what I said can apply everywhere in the world, it is just common sense.

Okay then. :lol:

illuminatus917
11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
This will not pass, it is not law, this does not invole and element of harm to another. You can only break the law if you harm someone, violate someones rights or damage anothers property. Wearing black clothes, being gloomy, wearing make up, listening to a certain kind of music does not fall into harming someone, violation of rights or damage of property. And don't give me the excuse that things work different in Russia than they do America, what I said can apply everywhere in the world, it is just common sense.

In France, it's illegal to name a pig Napoleon. Does naming a pig Napoleon harm anyone or damage anyone's property?

Indestructible
11-17-2011, 07:20 PM
In France, it's illegal to name a pig Napoleon. Does naming a pig Napoleon harm anyone or damage anyone's property?

It does not harm anyone or damge anyone's property to name a Pig Napoleon. Since that doesn't envolve harm to another it's not against the law.

Epidemic Reign
11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Well at least we have a new no-bullshit World Law in place :lol:

larvtard
11-17-2011, 07:47 PM
It does not harm anyone or damge anyone's property to name a Pig Napoleon. Since that doesn't envolve harm to another it's not against the law.

....you do know that "illegal" means breaking the law, right?

...RIGHT?!

--

Also, I'm pretty sure I've told you this before (and you ignored me), but just because you don't want something to be against the law doesn't automatically mean that thing's not against the law. That's not how it works, bud.

illuminatus917
11-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Well at least we have a new no-bullshit World Law in place :lol:

So it seems.

IrritatedTrout
11-18-2011, 12:53 AM
This will not pass, it is not law, this does not invole and element of harm to another. You can only break the law if you harm someone, violate someones rights or damage anothers property. Wearing black clothes, being gloomy, wearing make up, listening to a certain kind of music does not fall into harming someone, violation of rights or damage of property. And don't give me the excuse that things work different in Russia than they do America, what I said can apply everywhere in the world, it is just common sense. Are their "emo" kids who break the law? I'm sure their are, but you can't punish the ones in that group who did nothing wrong. What is really going to happen to an emo kid if they are caught wearing certains clothes etc.? Will they be taking to court? As corrupt as the justice system is the judge will throw the case out at one glance.

One of the usual suspects. How long do you think he'd last in Russia, brutal? I'm gonna guess a day before they showed him things are different in Russia.:lol:

ravenheart
11-18-2011, 02:31 AM

Sometimes it's kind of interesting to compare your take on things to other views. But just being an idiot kind of takes the fun out of it.

jd091
11-18-2011, 04:47 PM
This is so... strange! Yet I'm not surprised at all that this is in Russia. :lol: