PDA

View Full Version : Guns N' Roses -- Kansas City, MO -- November 12th, 2011

300%_Density
11-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Yet another time my expectations were quite exceeded. When this went on sale I was skeptical of going. When I saw GA was $90 I was not interested. Little over a week ago I got an e-mail saying that there was a special deal going on for 4 tickets for lower reserved seating for $120 + no other fees. I jumped on this. I was willing to take a risk of $30 for this. First crappy part, I saw on Setlist.FM that they had some openers on this tour such as The Sword & The Reverend Horton Heat, & Sebastian Bach was going to be opening on a few of their dates as well...and I was stuck w/ Adelita's Way. Worst band I heard since suffering through Saving Abel in the parking lot @ Rocklahoma this year. I tried napping during them to no avail. Pretty sure I heard a pin drop on the other side of the arena in between songs. Crowd was bored. Luckily that was over finally, they were probably off by maybe 10 or so.

Living about 2.5 hours away this is the part I was nervous about. After watching football awhile I went back to my seat. I wasn't sitting for more than 15 mins and then all of a sudden arena goes dark. I'll be damned if it wasn't 10:57!!!! I was beyond shocked, in all honesty I was expecting 11:30 - midnight. Arena wasn't even half full for Adelita's Way. Halfway through Chinese Democracy it was packed (minus curtained off upper deck) and crowd was just going crazy. Tons of pyro and fireworks as well. As expected outside of Chinese Democracy & maybe Madagascar crowd was bored during any Chinese Democracy songs. They opened up hot w/ their first 4 songs and then crowd didn't seem interested till Live and Let Die. Although I loved them doing Riff Raff, figured crowd would have enjoyed it more than they did. Crowd was kinda bored again till Sweet Child and then pretty into it rest of the time. Only thing outside of what others have said on here during GNR reviews I wanted to hear Shackler's Revenge off CD. I know Norman, OK got it at their last show but sadly we missed out.

Obviously Fortus/Bumblefoot/Ashba don't have the name recognition of Slash/Izzy but damn they were all amazing, DJ Ashba is only one I've even heard before when he was on first album for Beautiful Creatures which I still love to this day but the other 2 I have never heard before, either live or on record. That was the first thing I was blown away by was how great of a band Axel has behind him. I expected Axel to not talk hardly at all between songs and he managed to surprise me and was quite talkative inbetween songs. Ontop of that his voice sounded fantastic all night IMO. Only time he didn't hit it quite like he used to was during Sweet Child but regardless he really sounded fantastic which I didn't expect either. Even if you didn't like Chinese Democracy (which is damn near everyone) but still enjoyed their older stuff I cannot encourage you to go enough. I got lucky w/ a good deal through ticketmaster, I'm sure there are probably other arenas where something similar has happened. If it does jump on it. Only other downfall being if you are travelling from any far distance you better sleep up. They were < 15 mins away from playing for 3 hours. I was on the road by 2 AM and based on incorrect driving didn't get home till 5 AM but it was still a blast!!!

Copied off of Setlist.FM, no chance I can remember all this.

Dexter Intro :rocker:
1.Chinese Democracy
2.Welcome To The Jungle
3.It's So Easy
4.Mr. Brownstone
5.Sorry
6.Better
7.Estranged
8.Riff Raff
9.Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)
10.Live and Let Die
11.This I Love
12.Rocket Queen
13.My Generation (Tommy Stinson on Lead Vocals, with Band Introductions)
14.Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
15.Street Of Dreams
16.You Could Be Mine
17.DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
18.Sweet Child O' Mine
19.Instrumental Jam (Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2)
20.Axl Rose Piano Solo
21.November Rain
22.Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (Pink Panther Theme) :cool:
23.Don't Cry
24.Whole Lotta Rosie
25.Knockin' On Heaven's Door
26.Nightrain
---------------------------------
27.Instrumental Jam
28.Madagascar
29.Patience
30.Instrumental Jam
31.Paradise City

Henryperezrocks
11-13-2011, 09:38 PM
damn i wanna see gnr so badly, why cant axl come to california!!!!!!!!!!they better have a second leg of this tour soon

bobbie solo
11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
i wouldnt give ths piece of shit a cent of my $. Fuck him & his cover band, his insane ego, and fuck any of his managers/Live Nation, who thought this basket case could still fill arenas after all the shit he's pulled since coming out of hiding. Of course you got a 4 for $120 deal, this whole tour has sold below capacity, and anyone with a brain cold have guessed that. They should have scaled down the stage show and done large clubs (3500-5000 capacity), but his ego probably wouldnt allow that.

His voice sounded good bc they process it before it hits the PA. watch the Rock in Rio live feed videos on youtube if you want to hear how he really sounds.

MPF
11-13-2011, 11:58 PM
GNR played tonight at The Target Center, while I went to Cynic/3/Iron Thrones at Station 4.

I made the right choice.

NickLed19
11-14-2011, 12:02 AM
i wouldnt give ths piece of shit a cent of my $. Fuck him & his cover band, his insane ego, and fuck any of his managers/Live Nation, who thought this basket case could still fill arenas after all the shit he's pulled since coming out of hiding. Of course you got a 4 for $120 deal, this whole tour has sold below capacity, and anyone with a brain cold have guessed that. They should have scaled down the stage show and done large clubs (3500-5000 capacity), but his ego probably wouldnt allow that.

His voice sounded good bc they process it before it hits the PA. watch the Rock in Rio live feed videos on youtube if you want to hear how he really sounds.

This tour has actually done well in some areas. I am pretty sure the show in Dallas was sold out, maybe Houston as well.

ravenheart
11-14-2011, 02:01 AM

Nicely recycled point of view. Well done.

Irrelevant that they've been selling out arenas worldwide on this tour, I suppose?

Or that most of the people who go come back saying "yeah, it was late, but it was awesome". Even people like 300% up there who thought it would suck.

Much better to not go and sit at home regurgitating other people's tired "opinions".

ravenheart
11-14-2011, 02:03 AM
GNR played tonight at The Target Center, while I went to Cynic/3/Iron Thrones at Station 4.

I made the right choice.

I wish 3 were on the European Cynic tour :(

I'd have still gone to GN'R though.

ravenheart
11-14-2011, 02:07 AM
As expected outside of Chinese Democracy & maybe Madagascar crowd was bored during any Chinese Democracy songs. They opened up hot w/ their first 4 songs and then crowd didn't seem interested till Live and Let Die. Although I loved them doing Riff Raff, figured crowd would have enjoyed it more than they did. Crowd was kinda bored again till Sweet Child and then pretty into it rest of the time.

That's a GN'R crowd for you these days. All the old fans who can't look at GN'R objectively anymore because they're stuck on cliches and tired views don't go, and they're replaced by radio fans who only know about five songs.

But then, that's the same for Metallica, U2, Ozzy, Aerosmith and any other arena-selling band. It's pathetic and people are assholes, but it's what happens.

The shows I saw on this tour though (five between '06 and '10) the actual fans dug the CD stuff. Especially when they had 'Sorry' fifth or so in the set. That went down a storm every night.

DigMySpanky
11-14-2011, 04:49 AM

Cosign

300%_Density
11-14-2011, 06:26 AM
If I was ever in a band I only hope that I ever got this big so any time I did anything people would get infuriated like people do for guns n roses. With the exception of a few when was the last time someone went to a show and saw an almost 3 hour show? Foo Fighters were the only other show I've seen this year that did that. Even Dream Theater hasn't done 3 hours in a row. Really if you didn't like gnr to begin w/ why post on why you hate them. I showed tons of restraint when U2 is posted on here even tho I really dislike them.

imanidiot777
11-14-2011, 06:32 AM
If I was ever in a band I only hope that I ever got this big so any time I did anything people would get infuriated like people do for guns n roses. With the exception of a few when was the last time someone went to a show and saw an almost 3 hour show? Foo Fighters were the only other show I've seen this year that did that. Even Dream Theater hasn't done 3 hours in a row. Really if you didn't like gnr to begin w/ why post on why you hate them. I showed tons of restraint when U2 is posted on here even tho I really dislike them.

I saw Get The Led Out two weeks ago and they played for 3 and a half hours. So it really wasn't too long ago. :tongue:

ravenheart
11-14-2011, 06:32 AM
That's the main reason why people who complain about the number of individual solos there are in GN'R sets are retarded. It's a 3 hour show. If someone played a 2 minute solo in a 1 hour show you wouldn't complain. Multiply it up.

300%_Density
11-14-2011, 06:34 AM
I saw Get The Led Out two weeks ago and they played for 3 and a half hours. So it really wasn't too long ago. :tongue:

LOL I knew someone would say something like that soon. But still I think its a fairly accurate point. I'm a little jelly of that. Get the Led out would be pretty sweet.

ravenheart
11-14-2011, 06:35 AM
One more point:

incorrect driving

Awesome phrase ;)

300%_Density
11-14-2011, 06:37 AM
That's the main reason why people who complain about the number of individual solos there are in GN'R sets are retarded. It's a 3 hour show. If someone played a 2 minute solo in a 1 hour show you wouldn't complain. Multiply it up.

And in all honesty they were not that long. 5-6 mins at the longest. I'm a big BLS guy but Zakks solos are definitely far from 5-6 mins long. This had the most solos but they were some of the shortest solos I'd ever heard. Even Axels solo wasn't long or drawn out.

imanidiot777
11-14-2011, 06:37 AM
LOL I knew someone would say something like that soon. But still I think its a fairly accurate point. I'm a little jelly of that. Get the Led out would be pretty sweet.

It was an mind-blowing show. They dug deep into the Led Zeppelin catalog and they sounded great.

And yes, your point is fairly accurate.

dcmetal108
11-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't think tickets for Chicago are selling amazing as they had a deal going on that tickets were $20.00 a piece for seats. They aren't filling up the place.

Also did anyone see the interview they had on Blabbermouth where Gene Simmions was saying that GnR could have been the biggest band if it wasn't for Axl.

TiradesOfTruth
11-14-2011, 12:33 PM
I have no intention on seeing The Axl Rose Experience.

bobbie solo
11-14-2011, 05:52 PM
ravenheart-

they have played alot of festivals overseas for one thing, so those crowds dont count. as far as their big shows in south america...come on man, those crowds are always drooling for the big American rock/metal bands, and come out big. They're desperate for entertainment and certainly can't be as choosy as we can.

there are certain things that seem indefensible to me, and those things are where most people have had it with Axl: the insane lateness night after night, and the fact that this just isn't GnR. I, and many others, can't back this dude bc of them.

Now, the show length IS very cool. They play a great setlist and if the lateness and fakeness of the band don't bother you, then you def. get quite the bang for your buck, even withall the solos and interludes that add alot of BS to the overall picture.

And for the record, i like 7 or 8 songs on Chinese Democracy. It's just not a GnR record, it's an Axl solo album.

hellawaits77ny
11-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Cool review, good to see that idiot actually showed up on time and played a full show.

Still wanna see "GnR", but w/ his track record, I can't justify spending $ on anything Axl Rose.