PDA

View Full Version : Chimaira loses two more members

Steev
11-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Rob and Matt are stepping down from the band after this tour

http://www.chimaira.com/news/end-of-an-era/

leaving Mark as not only the only original member, but the only member to be on the band's first 5 albums

jd091
11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
SHIT! Not Matt and Rob! At least it's a mutual agreement, and they're finishing off this tour. They say Chimaira Christmas 12 will be their last performances with the band, so at least I'm fortunate enough to see them go out with a bang.

Chimaira won't be the same without you, Rob. :fist:

maxpower
11-10-2011, 01:00 PM
I was on the fence on whether I wanted to see them again in Austin in a few weeks, but I'll definitely go after hearing this. Not sure Chimaira can last without Rob. It will definitely be weird not having him in the band anymore.

Steev
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
it is definitely weird without Rob(he was a driving force in the band), Matt as well, but as some may recall he wasn't a member until after "Pass Out Of Existence" was released(Jason Hagar was on that record)

I wonder if either one will continue with Six Feet Under, or if this is a full blown retirement(side note: pissed I missed them last month)

xStructualDefect
11-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Bummer. Was never a huge fan but they're always great live. I'll be seeing them again with Unearth next month.

Steev
11-10-2011, 01:54 PM
oh and something has occured to me, who else thinks Emil switches over to guitar in the coming year?

jd091
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
oh and something has occured to me, who else thinks Emil switches over to guitar in the coming year?

Was about to post this. I'd bet serious money that's the case, and I'd anyone is a worthy successor on guitar, it'd be him.

mastodon421
11-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Damn, this sucks. I'm glad I am seeing them next Saturday on Rob and Matt's last tour..

Steev
11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Was about to post this. I'd bet serious money that's the case, and I'd anyone is a worthy successor on guitar, it'd be him.

only makes sense

I wonder if anyone known will join the band(honestly I could see one of the Schigel brothers, or both)

makethemsuffer12
11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
It would definitely be sick if Emil switched to guitar, but lets be real here; Chimaira is not going to last much longer. They are not a big enough band to suffer these kids of lineup changes and still be going strong. It's pretty much going to be the "Mark Hunter Show" now. Maybe the rest of Daath can join the band...

Steev
11-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I think the thing is this band commited to move forward with it's current lineup(who technically retained 4/6 members)

I don't see the band calling it a day yet

mastodon421
11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
The thing that sucks is I have feeling Rob left to dedicate his time strictly to Six Feet Under:lame:

Epidemic Reign
11-10-2011, 03:38 PM
So it's The Mark Hunter Band now?

DementedX14
11-10-2011, 04:31 PM
So it's The Mark Hunter Band now?

Pretty much. Sad to have this happen. I am glad I was able to see them 3 times. I don't know if i will in the future. If I had the money I would see their last christmas show. :(

treghet
11-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Chimaira seems to be in a downward spiral recently...

AnthG
11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm glad i'm going to see them on Sunday, as I can hopefully meet Matt and Rob again, shake their hands, and tell them Thanks.

That being said, I hope they just call it quits on Chimaira altogether. Not all bands need to go on forever, and it'd be awesome for them to go out on somewhat of a high note. I mean, 6 albums that were all at the very least good, shit loads of touring that go their name established, 2 awesome DVDs...what more can you want? I'd rather they call it quits now then do what a lot of bands do and try to milk whatever they can when creatively it just isn't there anymore.

anomynous
09-01-2014, 06:18 AM
Emil Werstler quits (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guitarist-emil-werstler-quits-chimaira/)

Necrobump

John The Drummer
09-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Chimaira's Metal-Archives page will soon look like [insert band that has had a million lineup changes]

MPF
09-01-2014, 01:27 PM
This is going to be a meme right?

http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/emilwerstler2014solo_638.jpg

mankvill
09-01-2014, 01:45 PM
bad band http://i57.tinypic.com/vmyl1c.jpg

Dextrimental
09-01-2014, 02:14 PM
At this stage, what is the point in continuing. Must be years since they got a decent pay-check. Hiatus now and return when Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Bleeding Through et al. become nostalgic and do the comeback tour. Worked for death metal and thrash to an almost ridiculous extent.

MPF
09-01-2014, 02:24 PM
At this stage, what is the point in continuing. Must be years since they got a decent pay-check. Hiatus now and return when Shadows Fall, God Forbid, Bleeding Through et al. become nostalgic and do the comeback tour. Worked for death metal and thrash to an almost ridiculous extent.

I imagine that's why he quit after this tour.

adamclark52
09-01-2014, 02:29 PM
This is going to be a meme right?

http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/emilwerstler2014solo_638.jpg

"Royalty checks for how much?"

Steev
09-02-2014, 07:36 AM
They raised a lot of money for the record but the only tours they've done in the US were headlining runs in fairly small venues

Steev
09-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Aaaaaand now everyone else has left, what the hell is going on there??

Dextrimental
09-02-2014, 06:29 PM
Wow, Emil must've been a pretty serious draw for the band if the rest have quit so quickly. Sucks for Mark, again. I hope he just ends it now for a while. Let it rest.

anomynous
09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/ab470092bc5cfcbcc9718b3d9bae5e0d/tumblr_inline_msyctydcXv1qz4rgp.png

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Apparently Jim made some pretty rash comments about Mark today on Twitter. I didn't realize there was bad blood there. This isn't looking good for Chimaira. And by that, I mean Mark.

Ommie
09-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Chimaira should've ended years ago.

AnthG
09-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Wow, Emil must've been a pretty serious draw for the band if the rest have quit so quickly. Sucks for Mark, again. I hope he just ends it now for a while. Let it rest.

This. I love Chimaira, and obviously it's for a fan to say "Just end it" to a musician who put their hard work into a band, but man, after round 2 you gotta end it, right? Continuing on after the first mass exodus is understandable, but after a second one? Man, I don't know.

mastodon421
09-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Jesus Christ this is just getting ridiculous. I doubt Mark is going to keep soldiering on when he can't keep a lineup in tact for over 2 years.

AnthG
09-03-2014, 09:32 AM
I think they have tour dates in Europe in the fall, so I think he might have to at least for a couple more months.

Steev
09-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Mark has decided to end the band

sucks I hadn't seen them since Mayhem

AnthG
09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
One of my favourite bands for a long fucking time. It was fun while it lasted. Got to see them live 8 times. Each time they fucking killed it.

Even though this doesn't come as a surprise, still sucks to see happen. At least they're going out on a somewhat-decent note. Obviously it couldn't be with the original members, but Crown of Phantoms was decent enough for a last album.

300%_Density
09-04-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm not happy about this at all. I was a huge fan the first time I saw them at Sounds of the Underground in '05. I wish they would have stuck to what they did on the s/t album w/ the longer songs. I'm sure they'll be back in a few years.

slapguitarer
09-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Today I learned people care abut Chimaira

John The Drummer
09-04-2014, 10:47 AM

:lol:

Chimaira had some ok stuff, but their music always came off fairly dry and lacked any real depthness to it. I loved that DVD they put out, though.... whatever it was called. I still "lol" everytime I think of Kerry King calling them the next Slayer in it.

Blacktooth85
09-04-2014, 11:14 AM
These "New Wave of American Metal" bands are slowly fading away. God Forbid, Shadows Fall, and now Chimaira. There's no money in music anymore i guess.

slapguitarer
09-04-2014, 11:19 AM
These "New Wave of American Metal" bands are slowly fading away. God Forbid, Shadows Fall, and now Chimaira. There's no money in music anymore i guess.

no, there's money in music. just not if that music is generic groove metal that went out of style like 6-7 years ago

AnthG
09-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Well maybe Phil Labonte was right. It's a shame Chimaira never evolved as musicians and transcended metal to make shitty auto-tuned radio rock.

mastodon421
09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
This really sucks. They were never one of my absolute favorite bands, but they put out a lot of great stuff over the years and were a fantastic live band. Hate seeing all these bands that were huge when I was first getting into metal lose steam and disband.

Onioner
09-04-2014, 12:15 PM

Me too.

no, there's money in music. just not if that music is generic groove metal that went out of style like 6-7 years ago

And this. If a band like Agalloch can do as well as they do, there is certainly money to be made in metal that doesn't suck.

MPF
09-04-2014, 12:20 PM
I never got into Chimaira, ever.

I tried back when I got into metal *that wasn't just Metallica* waaaaaaaaay back in 2002 and I kept trying over the years, it just never happened. There were many musicians I love in the band, but the music just never worked. It sucks to see them go, I know people dig them, but this is hardly shocking.

By 2016, the only band that will be left that was big in 2004 will be Killswitch Engage....maybe Unearth.

AnthG
09-04-2014, 12:22 PM
It's likely that money wasn't the main factor in the band's demise. It was likely due to everyone quitting and Mark hunter deciding that it truly is done and didn't feel like going through the hassle of recruting new musicians. If Emil Werstler and Co. don't leave the band then I don't think they break up. As well as possibly creative reasons: No more ideas for lyrics/music left in thank maybe?

By 2016, the only band that will be left that was big in 2004 will be Killswitch Engage....maybe Unearth.

Lamb of God?

John The Drummer
09-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Don't forget Spinesh.... oh wait...

MPF
09-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Lamb of God?

I've been hearing there is some bad blood going on in the LOG camp, so it may not last too much longer. But of course I may be wrong....

*And by the end of the day this will be all over Blabbermouth and WK saying from unknown sources that there is bad blood going on in Lamb Of God*

anomynous
09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Bad blood in LoG?

Looking at you, Mark and/or Randy. Mainly Mark, since he's been MIA this year.

Steev
09-04-2014, 01:14 PM
It's likely that money wasn't the main factor in the band's demise. It was likely due to everyone quitting and Mark hunter deciding that it truly is done and didn't feel like going through the hassle of recruting new musicians. If Emil Werstler and Co. don't leave the band then I don't think they break up. As well as possibly creative reasons: No more ideas for lyrics/music left in thank maybe?

Lamb of God?

Atreyu reunited, and Avenged Sevenfold and All That Remains are still out there

mankvill
09-04-2014, 01:25 PM
I've been hearing there is some bad blood going on in the LOG camp, so it may not last too much longer. But of course I may be wrong....

*And by the end of the day this will be all over Blabbermouth and WK saying from unknown sources that there is bad blood going on in Lamb Of God*

it's not like randy got really drunk and got punched in the face by mark morton outside their tour bus or anything

Dextrimental
09-04-2014, 01:27 PM
If you watched the band's documentary, you'd know there's no bad blood between any of them. Mark had to sit out a tour, big deal. They're one of the few bands I can see really going the distance along with KsE, ATR, A7X and Trivium that were born out of metalcore.

On fact. Mark tweeted back in July that he was working on new LoG material!

300%_Density
09-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Dammit. Why can't ATR breakup and trade for one of these other NWOAHM? The ones that broke up might have been less then stellar but I'll take any Chimairia/Bleeding Through/God Forbid/Whoever more recent albums than the modern rock of ATR.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Mark has decided to end the band

sucks I hadn't seen them since Mayhem

Far be it from me to tell someone what to do with their project, but this was the right choice. Good for Mark.

slapguitarer
09-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Dammit. Why can't ATR breakup and trade for one of these other NWOAHM? The ones that broke up might have been less then stellar but I'll take any Chimairia/Bleeding Through/God Forbid/Whoever more recent albums than the modern rock of ATR.

I think you're forgetting the best option, which is ignore all of them.

DementedX14
09-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Yeah that sucks a lot about this year, 10 years ago they were up and coming and ready to take over the metal scene but it has gotten abysmal for so much of these bands that can't pull what they used too back in the day.

mastodon421
09-05-2014, 06:31 AM
I think you're forgetting the best option, which is ignore all of them.

You're so god damn hilarious. I'm just going to start going into every thread about bands I don't give a shit about and dump on everyone that likes them because damn it if I don't like it, no one should:tp:

Nater
09-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Sucks that they are done. I got to hangout with Mark and Sean Z after a show in NH a couple years ago and they were awesome down to earth guys. Hopefully Mark has a new idea because he's quite the character

AnthG
09-05-2014, 08:33 AM
I've met the original lineup before, a couple of them on multiple occasions. My favourites are when Mark made fun of me for being a Red Sox fan (he's a Yankees fan), and when Rob complimented my Paddy's Pub shirt. Good times.

I also met Kevin Talley but he was in Daath at the time, so I don't think that counts.

slapguitarer
09-05-2014, 09:05 AM
You're so god damn hilarious. I'm just going to start going into every thread about bands I don't give a shit about and dump on everyone that likes them because damn it if I don't like it, no one should:tp:

Wow it's like you know what I'm doing or something.