PDA

View Full Version : Download Festival 2012

ravenheart
11-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Main booking dude says: "Just one big fuck off headliner tomorrow but with a killer twist...I look forward to the meh's ... I miss them"

It is apparently being announced on a radio show where Lars Ulrich is reportedly the guest.

So... Lou Reed & Metallica playing 'Lulu' in its entirety?

dallasdude18
11-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Main booking dude says: "Just one big fuck off headliner tomorrow but with a killer twist...I look forward to the meh's ... I miss them"

It is apparently being announced on a radio show where Lars Ulrich is reportedly the guest.

So... Lou Reed & Metallica playing 'Lulu' in its entirety?

Did he say this today or yesterday???

ravenheart
11-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Yesterday, I believe.

I understand the radio show is 7pm tonight, UK time.

Steev
11-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Yesterday, I believe.

I understand the radio show is 7pm tonight, UK time.

so that's this afternoon US time

jaysadler2
11-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Will be black sabbath reunion with ozzy...not bad but i never get my hopes up for download, they'll have a mix of new shitty pussy bands and old, aged past it bands...never perfect

brutal_descent
11-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Black Album performed in full. Metallica headlining Saturday night.

Maidenmagic
11-10-2011, 11:56 AM
That will be interesting since some of the songs on that album have never been played before and James hates " Don't tread on me."

jaysadler2
11-10-2011, 11:59 AM
just read this and it is confirmed, metallica playing black album in full.

dunno what to make of it, suppose its good as its something different, but still, would much rather hear the other songs

christopher
11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
That's fucking lame.

jd091
11-10-2011, 12:50 PM
That's fucking lame.

Yep. Who actually wants to hear that album?

illuminatus917
11-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Me

IrritatedTrout
11-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Eh, I guess some rare songs will get played. I'd probably go if this were going on in my state.

Travis The Dragon
11-10-2011, 01:41 PM
That's pretty cool. Now, if it were any of the first 4 albums, that would be super amazing!

AnthG
11-10-2011, 08:16 PM

Me.

Plus let's be real here...Black album in its entirety or not, we know they're gonna play Sad but True, Enter Sandman, and Nothing else matters anyway. And those are arguably the 3 worst songs on the album to begin with, so we still get to hear better songs with them anyways. Plus, Enter Sandman and Sad But true will be played 1st and 2nd so those get out of the way early.

I saw this band play Holier than Thou on the Death magnetic tour, and it sounded great.

illuminatus917
11-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Me.

we know they're gonna play Sad but True, Enter Sandman, and Nothing else matters anyway. And those are arguably the 3 worst songs on the album to begin with

Nothing Else Matters is one of my favorite Metallica songs.

hellawaits77ny
11-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Me.

Plus let's be real here...Black album in its entirety or not, we know they're gonna play Sad but True, Enter Sandman, and Nothing else matters anyway. And those are arguably the 3 worst songs on the album to begin with, so we still get to hear better songs with them anyways. Plus, Enter Sandman and Sad But true will be played 1st and 2nd so those get out of the way early.

I saw this band play Holier than Thou on the Death magnetic tour, and it sounded great.

Yes sir

christopher
11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
The only way I'd be happy at this show if they turned around and played Jump in the Fire, Phantom Lord, Trapped Under Ice, RTL and Shortest Straw after.

hellawaits77ny
11-10-2011, 08:54 PM
The only way I'd be happy at this show if they turned around and played Jump in the Fire, Phantom Lord, Trapped Under Ice, RTL and Shortest Straw after.

That would be sick! A little off-topic here, but I hope to see some rare gems like Shortest Straw, JITF and Phantom Lord at the 30th Anniversary shows.

dallasdude18
11-10-2011, 09:30 PM
The manager of "Download" said they will be announcing another headliner tomorrow! My guess is BLACK SABBATH! what do you guys think?

makethemsuffer12
11-10-2011, 09:55 PM

I sure a shit do. "The Struggle Within" is the most underrated Metallica song of all time.

hellawaits77ny
11-10-2011, 10:03 PM
I sure a shit do. "The Struggle Within" is the most underrated Metallica song of all time.

Certainly one of them. Great fuckin song. A bunch of us at metpage were theorizing that they would do this at the 30th Anniversary Shows. Doesn't look like it any more :flame:. Fuckin A, Europeans are lucky!

ravenheart
11-11-2011, 03:15 AM
The manager of "Download" said they will be announcing another headliner tomorrow! My guess is BLACK SABBATH! what do you guys think?

Seems pretty certain.

Although people are expecting Sonisphere to announce Sabbath headlining all dates, which would rule them out of Download.

Not that I care, I won't be going to either of them.

NickLed19
11-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Has anyone here ever been to Download, I really wanna go one year.

brutal_descent
11-11-2011, 05:17 AM

Wine has gone.

ravenheart
11-11-2011, 05:26 AM

Not me. Too big, too expensive, usually crap commerical line-ups, and the running order is always a complete joke.

hellawaits77ny
11-11-2011, 09:05 PM
If you want Metallica to play the Black Album in it's entirety in North America (and for them JUST to play in NA), sign this petition! Probably won't work, but it's worth a shot. Takes a whole 15 seconds.

http://www.change.org/petitions/metallica-play-the-black-album-in-its-entirety-in-north-america

jd091
11-11-2011, 09:21 PM
If you want Metallica to play the Black Album in it's entirety in North America, sign this petition! Probably won't work, but it's worth a shot. Takes a whole 15 seconds.

http://www.change.org/petitions/metallica-play-the-black-album-in-its-entirety-in-north-america

The thing is... I don't. ;)

illuminatus917
11-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Fuck Download.

MPF
11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Fuck Download.

FUCK SALT!

DisposableJustice
11-12-2011, 12:47 AM
If you want Metallica to play the Black Album in it's entirety in North America, sign this petition! Probably won't work, but it's worth a shot. Takes a whole 15 seconds.

Erm, if you change that to Master of Puppets or ...And Justice for All I'll sign it until I die:rocker:

hellawaits77ny
11-12-2011, 01:33 AM
The thing is... I don't. ;)

You don't want them to play shows in North America next year?

Also just trying to get a shitload of sigs so that they realize there is still demand for them here. I don't give a fuck what they play, I just want them to play NA. They do shit in Europe all the time (which I understand), but fuck, NA doesn't see them much. And regards to TBA, besides the shitty hits, there are some great songs on there.

jd091
11-12-2011, 02:44 AM
I just feel really indifferent towards the Black Album, and don't really care if they play it live or not. It's my least favorite "good" Metallica album.

hellawaits77ny
11-12-2011, 02:52 AM
I just feel really indifferent towards the Black Album, and don't really care if they play it live or not. It's my least favorite "good" Metallica album.

Fair enough. I understand, man

christopher
11-12-2011, 03:22 AM
It's my least favorite "good" Metallica album.

Shame on you for considering it a "good" album. That shit was deleted from my computer years ago. The Black Album is fucking lame.

christopher
11-12-2011, 03:24 AM
And regards to TBA, besides the shitty hits, there are some great songs on there.

No there aren't. Any real Metallica fan would agree.

hellawaits77ny
11-12-2011, 03:41 AM

Well, we agree to disagree my friend. I'm a real Metallica fan, and I think there are.

ravenheart
11-12-2011, 04:08 AM
Shame on you for considering it a "good" album. That shit was deleted from my computer years ago. The Black Album is fucking lame.

Pretty sure most Metallica fans actually wouldn't agree with this at all.

(except the "cool" ones who spout the same cliches about them every time their name is mentioned, but they don't count because they're barely real people, let alone real fans)

makethemsuffer12
11-12-2011, 06:09 AM
FUCK SALT!

:D

:tp:

Xenocide
11-12-2011, 06:53 AM

You're so cool.

MetalIsArt
11-12-2011, 07:03 AM
I've been a Metallica fan for over 12 years and I really enjoy the black album.

But then again, I like most of their material, but that's not cool or true, so I'm gonna shut up.

hellawaits77ny
11-12-2011, 08:03 AM
You're so cool.

:party:

slapguitarer
01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
http://fido.apps.ln-trust.com/publishing/content/h/g/e/download-poster-800.png

Anthrax just posted this.

Why is an electronic group headlining one of the days?

Dextrimental
01-16-2012, 09:24 PM
http://fido.apps.ln-trust.com/publishing/content/h/g/e/download-poster-800.png

Anthrax just posted this.

Because The Prodigy are one of the best live acts around, and they deserve a lot more than just an 'electronic' group. If you think otherwise, you haven't listened to their music enough.

Very solid line up this year. Soundgarden, Ugly Kid Joe and Black Sabbath making big returns in the one weekend. Copping did very well this year. Sonisphere have lost it this year.

makethemsuffer12
01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
That lineup is amazing. Metallica, Sabbath, MH, LOG, DTP, Anthrax, Trivium, and the fucking D. Soundgarden and Devildriver are nice bonuses, too.

slapguitarer
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Because The Prodigy are one of the best live acts around, and they deserve a lot more than just an 'electronic' group. If you think otherwise, you haven't listened to their music enough.

That could be true, I wouldn't know since I've not listened to them, but I'm just surprised they have the type of music at a festival that's aimed toward a metal/hard rock crowd.

mankvill
01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
how in the FUCK is You Me At Six that big.

What the fuck England

Dextrimental
01-16-2012, 09:42 PM
That could be true, I wouldn't know since I've not listened to them, but I'm just surprised they have the type of music at a festival that's aimed toward a metal/hard rock crowd.

Answered your own question. The Prodigy have always been accepted by the rock community at large. They are much more than an electronic band. You'd know that, had you listened to them, at all.

Also, You Me @ Six or however the fuck they write their band name, are stupidly huge in the UK and Ireland, Kerrang just LOVE them.

ravenheart
01-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Little Angels have reformed? :lol:

Damnit Toby, tour the new Fastway album instead.

ravenheart
01-17-2012, 02:47 AM

Because they have already headlined this event once before and it went down well.

Xenocide
01-17-2012, 07:59 AM
I am swimming to the UK for this.

Steev
01-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Ive never listened to Biffy Clyro, but it amuses me they're playing right before Metallica(they also headlined Sonisphere last year) because they played a bar here that barely holds 100 people

Xenocide
01-17-2012, 08:02 AM
They must be big in the UK.

Take BFMV for example. They're mostly a support act here in the US but at Download 2011 they were billed right before Linkin Park, after Disturbed.

Natrlhi
01-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Awesome headliners on all three days, although The Prodigy is a bit of an outlier (more on that in a minute). The rest of the announced bands either suck outright, or probably don't belong on this, or in some cases, both (except maybe Anthrax and Soundgarden).

@ Slap, The Prodigy is way more than just another electronic band, as others have said. In fact, they are downright fucking awesome. I'd almost consider going to this if it were in the U.S. and somewhat close to me, just to see them alone. If you have any interest in checking them out, I would suggest starting with their magnum opus "Fat of the Land". "Music for the Jilted Generation" is also awesome, and their most recent album is not too shabby either.

If you don't care to check them out - or if you do and you you decide that you don't like them - then fine, but just to let you know, they might actually be more apropos on this fest than several others who have been or will be announced.

EDIT: Before the butthurt begins, and just to clarify - bands such as DTP and Machine Head may not "suck" per se, but I just have no interest in them.

brutal_descent
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Awesome headliners on all three days, although The Prodigy is a bit of an outlier (more on that in a minute). The rest of the announced bands either suck outright, or probably don't belong on this, or in some cases, both (except maybe Anthrax and Soundgarden).

@ Slap, The Prodigy is way more than just another electronic band, as others have said. In fact, they are downright fucking awesome. I'd almost consider going to this if it were in the U.S. and somewhat close to me, just to see them alone. If you have any interest in checking them out, I would suggest starting with their magnum opus "Fat of the Land". "Music for the Jilted Generation" is also awesome, and their most recent album is not too shabby either.

If you don't care to check them out - or if you do and you you decide that you don't like them - then fine, but just to let you know, they might actually be more apropos on this fest than several others who have been or will be announced.

EDIT: Before the butthurt begins, and just to clarify - bands such as DTP and Machine Head may not "suck" per se, but I just have no interest in them.

I've actually seen The Prodigy, and was a bit disappointed. Granted, it was at an open-air festival, but I still thought it was a bit off. I'd go see them again, as long as if it was at a club/arena venue.

Xenocide
01-17-2012, 08:27 AM
I only know who The Prodigy are because of Need For Speed Underground.

smearCampaign
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
I only know who The Prodigy are because of Need For Speed Underground.

I feel soooo old. Now I know how Nat feels. ;)

Xenocide
01-17-2012, 08:31 AM
It's like an 8 year old game.

Natrlhi
01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
I've actually seen The Prodigy, and was a bit disappointed. Granted, it was at an open-air festival, but I still thought it was a bit off. I'd go see them again, as long as if it was at a club/arena venue.Yeah, I can see that. I'm thinking open air for these guys would only be awesome if the entire crowd was stoked as fuck to see them (e.g., not this fest). It would have to be at just the right kind of gig. Otherwise, they would probably be much better indoors where the crowd was almost too big to fit in the place. I'm thinking maybe a small-ish stadium or a large-ish indoor arena would be best.

brutal_descent
01-17-2012, 08:32 AM
I feel soooo old. Now I know how Nat feels. ;)

I first found out about Prodigy when I was 7 and found a copy of The Fat of the Land in my older brother's CD drawer :D

Natrlhi
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
I feel soooo old. Now I know how Nat feels. ;)Hey - we got to hear the good shit when it was brand new, man. I don't regret being the age that I am for a single fucking second - at least not when it comes to most of the topics we discuss around this forum. :lol:

brutal_descent
01-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah, I can see that. I'm thinking open air for these guys would only be awesome if the entire crowd was stoked as fuck to see them (e.g., not this fest). It would have to be at just the right kind of gig. Otherwise, they would probably be much better indoors where the crowd was almost too big to fit in the place. I'm thinking maybe a small-ish stadium or a large-ish indoor arena would be best.

Don't get me wrong, the crowd was SUPER stoked as fuck for them. The Prodigy are probably one of the most popular electronic acts here in Russia, and this was their only performance in the country for the whole '11 tour. Looking at the huge screens on the sides of the stage fucking freaked me out because of how far back the crowd went; apparently over 40k people showed up to the festival, which was only one day long with six bands.

Natrlhi
01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Don't get me wrong, the crowd was SUPER stoked as fuck for them. The Prodigy are probably one of the most popular electronic acts here in Russia, and this was their only performance in the country for the whole '11 tour. Looking at the huge screens on the sides of the stage fucking freaked me out because of how far back the crowd went; apparently over 40k people showed up to the festival, which was only one day long with six bands.Wow - that sounds awesome. Then what was disappointing about the show?

brutal_descent
01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Wow - that sounds awesome. Then what was disappointing about the show?

I'd say the sound wasn't loud enough (even though I complain a lot about open-air festivals setting their volume too high) and the band seemed a bit uninterested at times. Actually, I bet they were pissed, because the festival organizers cut them by about half an hour; curfew for the festival was set at 10 PM and one of the bands earlier on that day took a long time setting up, basically causing Prodigy to cut their set short. They posted on Facebook the next day saying that next time they'd be in Moscow, they'd play till "four in the fuckin' morning, you silly cunts". :lol:

Natrlhi
01-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Ah, that makes sense. I'd be pissed too, if I were them. Still, you'd like to think they'd blow the doors off no matter what, but...

brutal_descent
01-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Ah, that makes sense. I'd be pissed too, if I were them. Still, you'd like to think they'd blow the doors off no matter what, but...

Check your visitor messages, you're taking an awful long time to respond ;)

smearCampaign
01-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Hey - we got to hear the good shit when it was brand new, man. I don't regret being the age that I am for a single fucking second - at least not when it comes to most of the topics we discuss around this forum. :lol:

Agreed :D

Natrlhi
01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Check your visitor messages, you're taking an awful long time to respond ;)

I sent you a response.
I don't seem to be getting notifications that I'm getting visitor messages, so I only saw it out of coincidence.
I'm at work, and not constantly online. I check in on here now and then.
Hold your fucking horses, son.
I sent you a response.