Blank
Shoplift
Jackass in the Will of God
White Nigger
Sister Fucker
$30 Bag
New Orleans in the new Vietnam
Dixie Whiskey

Another year of FunFunFun down and some great performances all around (on the day I went anyway). This was the first year of the festival at a new location, Auditorium shores, which is essentially on the shore of the lake, directly south of downtown Austin. It definitely seemed larger than the previous venue, Waterloo park, but it was not any less dusty. As a result of the wonderful drought this year and the Texas sun combined with mosh pitting made for a dust bowl near any stage that had a pit going. Needless to say, everyone was sporting bandanas most of the day. However when my girlfriend dropped my roommate and I off a light rain had started, which was both appropriate for eyehategod and also kept the dust down for a little bit. After stashing our contraband and heading through security we entered the fest around 3:45 with plenty of time to grab a beer and make our way to the black stage to get a good view for EHG. $6 for a 16oz Newcastle or Heineken is to be expected from a festival and also pre-gaming was a big help on my wallet as I was sporting a substantial buzz when we arrived.

So with EHG scheduled to go on at 4:30 we had our spot on Jimmy’s side of the stage as they sound checked. 4:20 hit and the crowd started puffing away when all of the sudden Mike Williams could be heard through the PA asking if they could start and then with the rain clearing we were quickly drenched in sludgy goodness. At a festival with such tight time slots I was really happy to get an extra 10 minutes of music from the New Orleans boys. In the spectrum of EHG shows this was probably on the more sober ends for Mike I’m assuming since it was a daytime show, but he was still entertaining as ever. Between songs at some point he also dropped a “hey, fuck you glenn” and the crowd laughed and cheered. Watching Jimmy Bower riff with a cigarette dangling from his lips and the whole band locked in is just pure metal bliss. New Orleans in the New Vietnam was awesome to hear, I can’t wait to have an official release with that track.

After Mike, Jimmy and the boys finished I needed more beer and some food to soak it up. There were a plethora of amazing Austin food trucks serving as the food vendors, but the lines were horrendous and I can eat at those places anytime so I just got a shitty piece of pizza because there was no line. At this point my roommate ran into some co-workers who were headed to the blue stage for Del tha Funkee Homosapien. We headed back that way with them since I was headed in the same direction for Cannibal Corpse anyway. I could’ve stayed for the first few minutes of Del, but I’ve seen him twice before both with a live band and DJ, so getting a good spot for CC took priority. I thought that there was a lot of weed smoking at 4:20 with eyehategod, but the Cannibal Corpse crowd make Cheech and Chong look like Ronald and Nancy Reagan. ‘I Cum Blood’ and ‘Fucked With A Knife’ were the highlights of the set. Since they are currently recording a new record in Texas I had hoped to hear something new. Before ‘Hammer Smashed Face’ Corpsegrinder told the crowd that it was their last song and he was going to “come to your house and kill your mother and sister if you aren’t slamming”. With that the song kicked in and the pit quadrupled in size, easily becoming as wide as the entire stage. The pit stayed massive and crazy when they dropped ‘Stripped, Raped and Strangled’ as the actual closer. And with that their set was over, good for a festival, but everyone wanted more. The crowd then separated and you could clearly see the metal nerds hanging out for Boris and those headed to the main stage to stake out a spot for Slayer.

I grabbed a fresh Newcastle and met up with another buddy to watch Boris. I am not familiar with their material, but from what I saw they put on a great show. At this point I reconnected with my roommate and we watched the end of Flying Lotus and the beginning of Diplo before making our way to the main stage to watch Brian Posehn tell some jokes leading into Slayer. We had determined a meeting spot with some other people along the side of the sound board, but never saw them again in the insanity of the Slayer crowd. Posehn was hilarious as always and the crowd was actually very receptive, which was good for him. He finished his stand up set around 8:10 and the crowd was rabid for Slayer. Around 8:18 the intro music kicked in and red pentagrams adorned the white curtain shrouding the stage. ‘World Painted Blood’ kicked in and the white curtain dropped and the crowd surged forward. We quickly left the sound board area and headed forward. By the time they were into ‘War Ensemble’ we had found a much better spot on Jeff’s side of the stage, but no Jeff this time unfortunately; but Gary sounded great. I could do without ‘Bloodline’ but ‘Hell Awaits’ and ‘Black Magic’ more than make up for that. Before they started I considered making my way to the blue stage to catch some of Odd Future, but Slayer was just too good to leave.

I'm not familiar with Ted Leo, but I guess he played multiple Misfits covers yesterday as a 'fuck you' to Danzig. :D

hellawaits77ny
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Thanks! Was looking forward to the Slayer + CC sets. I see Slayer's set is pretty much the same, but very cool they played 20 songs.

Awesome to see I Cum Blood and Fucked w/ A Knife are back. 2 of my faves

mankvill
11-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Silent Scream!

Jochen
11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Good sets for all the bands. I'm jealous that you got to see Eyehategod. Was Hanneman playing with Slayer?

hellawaits77ny
11-06-2011, 10:16 PM
. Was Hanneman playing with Slayer?

Good question. I doubt it, though.

DisposableJustice
11-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Good sets for all the bands. I'm jealous that you got to see Eyehategod. Was Hanneman playing with Slayer?

+1 for finally playing Hell Awaits:rocker:

and no, from the videos recently uploaded Gary Holt is playing, which is too bad that Jeff isn't back to 100% yet

bobbie solo
11-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Watched the live feed till it went to shit...again. hanneman was not there. Slayer killed as usual...tons of other great sets too...M83. Diplo, Negative Approach, Public Enemy, Kid Dynamite, Hot Snakes

christopher
11-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Other than the Danzig problem, I really really wish I made it out to Fun Fun Fun fest this year.

Seventhzealot
11-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Hell awaits, Chemical Warfare and Black Magic :drool:

hellawaits77ny
11-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Watched the live feed till it went to shit...again. hanneman was not there. Slayer killed as usual...tons of other great sets too...M83. Diplo, Negative Approach, Public Enemy, Kid Dynamite, Hot Snakes

Shit, didn't realize there was a live feef. And yeah, I hate when they get fucked up

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Slayer also played Jihad at this show. Glad to see them bringing back some songs from "Christ Illusion". :fist:

And of course...HELL AWAITS :rocker:

hellawaits77ny
11-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Slayer also played Jihad at this show. Glad to see them bringing back some songs from "Christ Illusion". :fist:

Sweet!! I really like that album and Jihad is one of my favorites from it.

makethemsuffer12
11-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Sweet!! I really like that album and Jihad is one of my favorites from it.

If only they'd bust out "Flesh Storm". :drool:

hellawaits77ny
11-07-2011, 03:46 AM

FUck yeah, that would be sick. I loved when they opened w/ it in '07 :rocker::rocker:

RampinUp46
11-07-2011, 06:45 AM
Great show. I got to hang out with Corpsegrinder after CC's set at the Waterloo Records booth and wound up watching the last few songs of Slayer's set with him. Definitely won't be forgetting that anytime soon.

Also, I looked on Setlist FM for Eyehategod setlists and I found this one for an earlier show. Does this look right in any way (I was at EHG's set, I just don't remember much aside from Sisterfucker)?

Blank
Story of the Eye
Jack Ass in the Will of God
White Nigger
30$ Bag
Left to Starve
Dixie Whiskey
Sisterfucker (Part I)
New Orleans Is The New Vietnam
Masters of Legalized Confusion
Serving Time in the Middle of Nowhere
Run It Into the Ground
Peace Thru War (Through Peace And War)

smearCampaign
11-07-2011, 07:28 AM

And of course...HELL AWAITS :rocker:

Added my review and Jihad to the set. I thought I was missing one song from Slayer, but I could not for the life of me remember what.

smearCampaign
11-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Great show. I got to hang out with Corpsegrinder after CC's set at the Waterloo Records booth and wound up watching the last few songs of Slayer's set with him. Definitely won't be forgetting that anytime soon.

Also, I looked on Setlist FM for Eyehategod setlists and I found this one for an earlier show. Does this look right in any way (I was at EHG's set, I just don't remember much aside from Sisterfucker)?

That's awesome that you hung out with Corpsegrinder!

Eyehategod definitely did not play that many songs unfortunately, but I would imagine the couple that I'm missing are amongst that set list.

Do you know what Cannibal's first two songs were?

larvtard
11-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Hmmm...could do without Bloodline, Disciple, Jihad, and Dittohead, but Silent Scream, Black Magic, Chemical Warfare, Postmortem, Seasons in the Abyss, Psychopathy Red, and HELL FUCKING AWAITS more than make up for it :party::party: Too bad Slayer sucks live :lol:

Also, great fucking review man!! At this point I wish I looked into some colleges in Texas...FunFunFun fest, Goregrowler's Ball, fucking Rites of Darkness... :drool:

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Fuck that. If only they'd bust out "FINAL SIX" :rocker: :drool:

Now that would be something to see :D

Added my review and Jihad to the set. I thought I was missing one song from Slayer, but I could not for the life of me remember what.

No problem my friend, that's what I'm here for. :fist:

Glad you had a great time. Bums me the fuck out that I couldn't make it up there because I really had this planned out for a good 2 months(especially because texas is only like a 4 hour flight if you take it straight there from CA). Would have been great to meet up at the show or something.

Too bad Slayer sucks live :lol:

Cool story guy.

RampinUp46
11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
That's awesome that you hung out with Corpsegrinder!

Eyehategod definitely did not play that many songs unfortunately, but I would imagine the couple that I'm missing are amongst that set list.

Do you know what Cannibal's first two songs were?

Unfortunately, I don't. I asked him and I think he told me, but I forgot it.

...In my defense, I was hacking up black shit thanks to the dust and nursing an eye injury from Slayer.

Also, I don't think Jihad was that far down in the setlist. I think it was played after War Ensemble (or somewhere around there).

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
In the spectrum of EHG shows this was probably on the more sober ends for Mike I’m assuming since it was a daytime show, but he was still entertaining as ever.

Mike was WASTED at our show. The guy could barely hold his fucking drink and stand. I think Chris even said that the bartenders refused to give him any more drinks cause he had to get on stage soon to perform :lol:

Watching Jimmy Bower riff with a cigarette dangling from his lips and the whole band locked in is just pure metal bliss. New Orleans in the New Vietnam was awesome to hear, I can’t wait to have an official release with that track.

At our show everyone except for the drummer had a cigarette in their mouth while performing the first two songs. I agree, METAL AS FUCK
:rocker:

And yes on the NEW Song. I remember when I heard it, all i remember is how fucking HEAVY it sounded. Really really great!

InFlamesOfBirchmen
11-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I had no idea there was a live feed! Sounds like an awesome show, to say the least. I heard that Brian Posehn and Ryan Gosling were hanging out in the pit together.

Blacktooth85
11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Damn that's a pretty long set from Slayer. And shit yeah! Hell Awaits is back in the set :rocker:...

I wish Slayer would do their own U.S. headlining tour sometime next year, not co-headlining. I want to see a long set like this one.

Does anyone know the status on Hanneman? Is he healing good or what? Or do they have any idea on when he'd be back?

smearCampaign
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Just looked over some of my videos and one of the Cannibal Corpse songs I missed was definitely 'Unleashing The Bloodthirsty'

christopher
11-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Fuck that. If only they'd bust out "FINAL SIX" :rocker: :drool:

Now that would be something to see :D

Or Evil Has No Boundaries :rocker::drool:

jhdeity
11-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Just saw the fiasco when Odd Future played on TMZ. Some dude in the crowd lit Tyler up in the face with a water bottle from like 15 feet and the whole posse on stage jumped into the crowd and went after him. They only showed 5 seconds of the clip but I bet it got NUTS!

Also Flesh Storm, Final Six or Atrocity Vendor instead of Bloodlines would make this a great set all things considered. Maybe when Jeff comes back...

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Just saw the fiasco when Odd Future played on TMZ. Some dude in the crowd lit Tyler up in the face with a water bottle from like 15 feet and the whole posse on stage jumped into the crowd and went after him. They only showed 5 seconds of the clip but I bet it got NUTS!

HOLY SHIT!!!!! Sounds pretty crazy :fist: :hecho:

Maybe when Jeff comes back...

Hes been gone for awhile now..........:eyes:

Kerry said they were trying to get him back in time for fun fun fun fest :hecho:

Indestructible
11-07-2011, 04:12 PM

Also Flesh Storm, Final Six or Atrocity Vendor instead of Bloodlines would make this a great set all things considered. Maybe when Jeff comes back...

Slayer has a song called Atrocity Vendor?

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 04:21 PM

No, no they don't.....But they do have a song called "stairway to heaven". :hmm: :hecho: :D :hecho: :hmm: :hmm:

jhdeity
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM

Yep. They released it as the B-side to the World Painted Blood cd single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2isxtxr658k

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
:drool::wow:

Here is a fucking great video of the band playing ANGEL OF DEATH at Fun fun fun fest.Tom sounds fucking Brutal here. ESPECIALLY FROM 0:30-0:35!!!!. This is easily one of the best that I have heard tom on Angel of Death. And the band sounds fucking amazing here. Please for the love of god get your asses down here with gary and do a proper HEADLINING tour :( :hecho:

SLAYER angel of death @ Fun Fun Fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3DFivZn5ZE

Jhedity and everyone watch this!!!

smearCampaign
11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
:drool::wow:

Here is a fucking great video of the band playing ANGEL OF DEATH at Fun fun fun fest.Tom sounds fucking Brutal here. ESPECIALLY FROM 0:30-0:35!!!!. This is easily one of the best that I have heard tom on Angel of Death. And the band sounds fucking amazing here. Please for the love of god get your asses down here with gary and do a proper HEADLINING tour :( :hecho:

SLAYER angel of death @ Fun Fun Fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3DFivZn5ZE

Jhedity and everyone watch this!!!

Ha. My roommate and I were just now watching the video he shot of Raining Blood and Angel of Death. So good. Hands down best of the 4 times I've seen Slayer. :rocker:

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Ha. My roommate and I were just now watching the video he shot of Raining Blood and Angel of Death. So good. Hands down best of the 4 times I've seen Slayer. :rocker:

It really bums me out that I fucking missed this show. I had planned on going to this since the end of August. This set list is as sweet as Pie and 90 minutes of Slayer is just incing on the cake. Fuckin A' :(

I also would like to point out that I LOVE how almost EVERY album is represented on this set list except for Diablos en Musica and Undisputed attitude...but its ok...we can pretend those two albums didn't exist ;)

JRA
11-07-2011, 09:23 PM
It really bums me out that I fucking missed this show. I had planned on going to this since the end of August. This set list is as sweet as Pie and 90 minutes of Slayer is just incing on the cake. Fuckin A' :(

I also would like to point out that I LOVE how almost EVERY album is represented on this set list except for Diablos en Musica and Undisputed attitude...but its ok...we can pretend those two albums didn't exist ;)

Eh, that album was at least fun if you liked punk. Diablos (and God Hates Us All) were trendy modern bullshit.

hellawaits77ny
11-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I agree. Tom has sounded great in 2011. His Big 4 'Angel of Death' scream wasn't bad either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ULzXxKWLM

Sepultura69
11-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Eh, that album was at least fun if you liked punk. Diablos (and God Hates Us All) were trendy modern bullshit.

Indeed. Mr. Freez and VIOLENT PACIFICATION were definite headbangers. I love bumping MR Freez really loud at Persian market places as i'm leaving the parking lot after work. Always freaks all the elderly Persian fucks :rocker: