PDA

View Full Version : Which 2011 release do you prefer?

es156
11-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Which of these 4 discs do you prefer? I am actually surprised to say that I prefer the Anthrax disc so far. Of course, my opinion may change before the end of the year, but the Anthrax disc definitely exceeded my expectations.

powerslave_85
11-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Mastodon. Which is also the answer to "Which of these is the only one you've heard?" ;)

illuminatus917
11-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I haven't heard Thirteen yet, so I'll wait to vote. It's extremely doubtful I'll like it more than The Hunter, though.

daimonos
11-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Mastodon. Which is also the answer to "Which of these is the only one you've heard?" ;)

:lol: this

IrritatedTrout
11-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I voted Mastodon but I love Worship Music and Thirteen as well.

mastodon421
11-05-2011, 05:49 PM
The Hunter by far.

mankvill
11-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Mastodong

Triggz
11-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I put Mastodon as well. Dystopia was pretty sweet, but Stargasm, Spectrelight, Octopus Has No Friends, Blasteroids... they really drove my decision.

evildeadjedi
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Mastodon with honorable mentions to Graveyard Hinsing Blues and Grayceon All We Destroy.

BloodoftheKings
11-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I've never heard Dystopia but I think The Hunter by far. Worship Music is pretty good, nothing special and Th1rt3en is mediocre.

illuminatus917
11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I put Mastodon as well. Dystopia was pretty sweet, but Stargasm, Spectrelight, Octopus Has No Friends, Blasteroids... they really drove my decision.

No The Sparrow?

JRA
11-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Same for me. I should have at least heard the new Anthrax, since I was really fucking happy that Joey Belladonna's back, but all of Scott Ian's dicking around/reports that it was a "modern" metal album made me lose interest in hearing it.

treghet
11-05-2011, 08:03 PM
What if you don't prefer any of them? :eyes:

powerslave_85
11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
I might listen to the Iced Earth one at some point just out of curiosity, but I've never been a big Anthrax fan, and it's been years and years since I've been interested in anything Megadeth has done.

SomewhereInTime72
11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Haven't heard Thirteen yet, but it's not likely it'll be Worship Music for me. I'll vote after I hear it though, just in case.

Epidemic Reign
11-05-2011, 10:41 PM
I might listen to the Iced Earth one at some point just out of curiosity, but I've never been a big Anthrax fan, and it's been years and years since I've been interested in anything Megadeth has done.

Iced Earth is my vote, but I'm on the exact same page as you where Anthrax and Megadeth are concerned.

Listened to The Hunter, not for me.

Maiden33
11-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Who would've ever guessed Mastodon would win a poll on this board? It's seriously not even fair how much of an advantage they have over every other band at this point. Hell, they'd probably beat Maiden by this point. Am I the only person left who doesn't like them?

Epidemic Reign
11-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Who would've ever guessed Mastodon would win a poll on this board? It's seriously not even fair how much of an advantage they have over every other band at this point. Hell, they'd probably beat Maiden by this point. Am I the only person left who doesn't like them?

Nope, myself and metallicbrian666 are in the same boat. Though we may be the only three :eyes:

...and yeah, sometimes this place feels like the Official Mastodon Community Forum :lol:

TonyD
11-06-2011, 01:15 AM
:rolleyes:

Epidemic Reign
11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Security check!

Random Question: Name Any Mastodon Album.

treghet
11-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Nope, myself and metallicbrian666 are in the same boat. Though we may be the only three :eyes:

Don't forget about me. ;)

But to Maiden33: Who cares if a lot of people here like them, it's just a poll...

Epidemic Reign
11-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Don't forget about me. ;)

:party: FOUR STRONG AND COUNTING, MOTHERPUNCHER!

xStructualDefect
11-06-2011, 01:21 AM
I like a few songs off Crack The Skye but other than that Mastodon bores me after awhile..

Epidemic Reign
11-06-2011, 01:38 AM
I like a few songs off Crack The Skye but other than that Mastodon bores me after awhile..

FIVE STRONG!

I actually think Crack the Skye is a fantastic album and if I were to rate it on a scale of 1-10 I would be tempted to go straight for the 10. Unfortunately, everything else past and present has only succeeded in boring me. Welcome to the club, brother!

treghet
11-06-2011, 01:46 AM
I think they're a great band, just not my style at all. Can't get into anything they've done. With an objective outlook I would say that they put out the best album in the poll, with Iced Earth second, then Anthrax.

Epidemic Reign
11-06-2011, 01:52 AM
I think they're a great band, just not my style at all.

Seconded entirely.

I would never say that Mastodon are not talented or unique. Just not the style of music I enjoy, whatsoever. With the exception of Crack the Skye alone.

MPF
11-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Personal Order:

Mastodon (Top 5)
Iced Earth (Top 10)
Anthrax (Top 20)
Megadeth (Only heard once so far, so can't really comment)

Sanitarium78
11-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I tried to get into Mastodon a few years ago but they didn't do anything for me.

My vote here is gonna go to Worship Music here. Anthrax is one of my favorite bands ever, Joey is back and they have great new album that has a good variety of metal songs for everyone.

Dystopia is a very close second though. The title track alone makes it a worthy album of the year canidate. Honestly, if you're a fan in anyway of old school sounding metal and you don't like Dystopia there might be something seriously worng with you;)

Thriteen is like four good songs surrounded by a bunch of garbage. I know they wanted out of their record contract ASAP but they could've waited until next year and made something a bit better. As it stands this album is right at the bottom of Megadeth's list between TWNAH and Risk.

El Gordo
11-06-2011, 11:17 AM

What's the difference? I voted Mastodon and I don't really consider myself a fan of theirs. The fact is, I don't think any of the albums in the poll would even sniff my top 10 for the year.

ravenheart
11-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I haven't heard Megadeth yet, but I know it won't be better than Anthrax and Iced Earth.

Tough choice, but I think I'd go with Iced Earth. Just.

HackedUpForBBQ
11-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Worship Music. Anthrax with Joey B is simply the shit

es156
11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
These are not my top 4 discs of the year, by the way. But yeah, I should have known better than to include the Mastodon disc, ha ha.

JRA
11-06-2011, 04:10 PM

You would actually like their new album (as well as Crack The Skye).

Maiden33
11-06-2011, 09:04 PM
You would actually like their new album (as well as Crack The Skye).

Heard a couple of songs - I definitely don't.

SomewhereInTime72
11-07-2011, 03:20 AM
I also think post-Leviathan Mastodon is relatively boring tbh. Overrated to all hell at the very least.

makethemsuffer12
11-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I voted for Dystopia. I think Worship Music is really solid, too, but I only really love the first half of the album. The rest is kinda "meh" to me. Dystopia is really solid throughout and very catchy as well. Some of my favorite IE material to be honest. Though there is one thing I have to say: as much as I love Stu (I was really into Into Eternity a couple of years back) and think he's an amazing vocalist and the perfect guy for Iced Earth right now, I would've loved to hear what this album would've sounded like with Barlow on vocals. There is some straight up classic-sounding Iced Earth stuff on it and Matt's voice would've been perfect for it.

metallicbrian666
11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
I guess Iced Earth because the other 3 blow

makethemsuffer12
11-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I guess Iced Earth because the other 3 blow

Now that's going just a bit too far, methinks. The only album on the list that I would say is remotely subpar is Th1rt3en, but I haven't listened to it much anyway.

metallicbrian666
11-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Now that's going just a bit too far, methinks. The only album on the list that I would say is remotely subpar is Th1rt3en, but I haven't listened to it much anyway.
I hate Mastodon, Th1rt3en is uninspired, and Worship Music is songs written for Bush that, despite the claims of rewriting the album, are pretty much exactly the same as the originals but with cheesy ass vocal lines lazily thrown in to make it sound "old school".

makethemsuffer12
11-09-2011, 06:07 AM
I hate Mastodon, Th1rt3en is uninspired, and Worship Music is songs written for Bush that, despite the claims of rewriting the album, are pretty much exactly the same as the originals but with cheesy ass vocal lines lazily thrown in to make it sound "old school".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Sanitarium78
11-09-2011, 06:10 AM
I voted for Dystopia. I think Worship Music is really solid, too, but I only really love the first half of the album. The rest is kinda "meh" to me. Dystopia is really solid throughout and very catchy as well. Some of my favorite IE material to be honest. Though there is one thing I have to say: as much as I love Stu (I was really into Into Eternity a couple of years back) and think he's an amazing vocalist and the perfect guy for Iced Earth right now, I would've loved to hear what this album would've sounded like with Barlow on vocals. There is some straight up classic-sounding Iced Earth stuff on it and Matt's voice would've been perfect for it.

You should go back and listen to The Constant and Revolution Screams from Worship Music again. They are both very good songs and Revolution Screams is one of my favorites on the album.

There's no doubt in my mind that Barlow would've done a good job on the new Iced Earth. When I listen to Anthem I picture Barlow singing it in my mind. But there are a few parts i'm not sure if he had the range to do anymore, like in the pre-chours of Dystopia or the high notes on Boiling Point. Stu is like ten years younger than Matt and he has the vocal strength and range to give the new album an extra something i'm not sure Matt could've brought at this point. Matt is still a very good singer but Stu's performance on this album is something else.

IrritatedTrout
11-09-2011, 07:28 AM
The Constant is really strong but I think either Revolution Screams or Crawl might be my least favorite off the album. They're both pretty decent though.

dcmetal108
11-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Anthrax

Fates Guardian
07-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Arch/Matheos.

hb420
07-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Megadeth out of those by far. Don't listen to Anthrax or Iced Earth and the Hunter is horrible.