PDA

View Full Version : Hed PE -- Springfield, VA -- November 2nd, 2011

jhdeity
11-03-2011, 01:28 PM
So I ventured to Jaxx with some friends to see Hed PE headline for the 1st time in many years. My friends Rebel Inc. were opening along with Slaine from La Coka Nostra and some local openers.

I've stated this before but I have to say it again, Jaxx sucks. Are there other venues in other towns that are all ages but you can only drink in designated spots? If anything the kids should be put in a f'n designated area. I'll never understand that place. 2 bouncers guard the floor and merch area. What a waste of money and manpower.

So we get there early and hang with the guys from Rebel Inc. We find out they're playing 3rd with 2 hip-hop openers. I'm cool with that.

The 1st opener was a guy with an apple computer and a mic. He played 20 min and was too loud and the beats were too low. The next band was a 12 person rap group. They had different members for every song and it was hard not to just laugh at them. 4 of them were sporting the hipster glasses and one dude rips his shirt off and with his pinky out on the mic keeps pushing his glasses back on his face with his thumb. Later he comes up to the girl with us and looks like he's about to spit game and adjust his glasses and we both crack up laughing. Maybe you had to be there but in all my years of going to shows they were the worst band I've ever seen. Ever!

Rebel Inc. were up next and they KILLED it! Their older stuff is very Rage Against the Machine-ish and the new songs they played had a real Clutch vibe and groove to them. RATM + Clutch = Awesomeness! Check these guys out if they come to your town. I'm going to see them again Monday night and am fired up!

http://www.rebelincmusic.com/

Next was Slaine and the crowd was not into him at all. He was ok for what he does, worlds better than the 2 hip-hop openers but it was very cliche and forgettable.

Next up was Hed. I was hoping to get a great 90 min set but they did a little over an hour and Jared actually cut the rants down some but when they cut Killing Time in half I knew I was going to be pissed when he started ranting about Draconian Reptilians and I was. They still played a bunch of cool stuff even though they cut some of my favorite songs in half it was cool to hear them again.

Hed PE

Sophia (new version)
Truth Rising
Live or Die Free
Not Ded Yet
Game Over
White House
The Truth
Killing Time
Raise Hell
Firsty :rocker:
Let's Ride :horns:
Don't Tread On Me/Suffa
Peer Pressure X3
Takeover/Represent
Is This Love?
Bartender
CBC
Renegade

I might be missing 1 new one. I have a new camera and took some video so I'll see how it turned out. Jared brought his kid out for Is This Love which was cool. He sings the shit outta that song. Normally I'd hate to hear a cover with so many great Hed songs but it works for some reason. Overall a fun show. This is like my 10th time seeing them and unless they come to Baltimore again, it'll be my last. One of my favorite live bands I just wish they mixed it up and played longer setlists, especially when headlining.

IrritatedTrout
11-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I used to really like Jaxx but I haven't been there since 2009 I think.

jhdeity
11-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I used to really like Jaxx but I haven't been there since 2009 I think.

It looks like it's ready to close up. They took out some of the seats/tables in the outter bar area and the place just looks stripped down overall. It's so weird to have 3 areas guarded by bouncers. The outter bar area is also guarded. That makes no sense to me, they have to be able to come up with a better system than that.

Magson13
11-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm going to see them tonight. How was attendance? I'm expecting super low tonight, the promoter hasn't promoted it at all....

jhdeity
11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm going to see them tonight. How was attendance? I'm expecting super low tonight, the promoter hasn't promoted it at all....

It was the smallest crowd ever at a Hed show. I saw them 6-8 months ago with Mushroomhead and it was packed wall to wall. No one really knows who Slaine is and I think that hurts too. There was maybe 200 people.

Also I forgot to mention before the show Jared posted on their facebook site they they needed green trees and to see the dude at the merch booth. Too funny!

Magson13
11-03-2011, 04:16 PM
I just got to the show, and it's hard to tell what the crowd is like. The venue is a restaurant that a lot of people like to eat at around here. I see about ten people that look like they're definitely here for the show, but they might be local openers...., I'm the only person standing in the stage area, got center "rail," needless to say haha

valgalder
11-03-2011, 04:30 PM
this band still exists? damn.. i saw them once open for slayer in like 1999... they were complete garbage.

mankvill
11-03-2011, 05:26 PM
this band still exists? damn.. i saw them once open for slayer in like 1999... they were complete garbage.

For some reason, really shitty 90s nu-metal bands are trying to stay relevant. Like shit, didn't Ill Nino tour last year? :lol:

tenchimyo
11-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Jared brought his kid out for Is This Love which was cool. He sings the shit outta that song. Normally I'd hate to hear a cover with so many great Hed songs but it works for some reason..

Is that the Van Halen song 'is This Love?' ?

I was just curious at the crowd (and attendance) these guys brought to Jaxx

treghet
11-03-2011, 06:55 PM

That was the first thing that popped into my head.

Magson13
11-03-2011, 06:58 PM
There's maybe 100 people at tonight's show... Ill Bill came out to do a little bit with Slaine, that was pretty cool

jhdeity
11-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Is This Love? is a Bob Marley cover. I don't judge music by labels. People call Machine Head Nu Metal and Nu Metal isn't supposed to have guitar solo's so personally I've never thought of Hed or Machine Head as Nu Metal.

I always have a great time at their shows and they put on a better show than most of the bands I've seen. To each his own though. I know my neck is sore as shit today so they seriously brought it. I do think they would do better sticking to a more metal/punk style but they call what they do Rip-Hop which is kinda funny.

Magson13
11-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Met Jared after the show tonight, got a pic with him and he autographed the setlist I got :>

bobbie solo
11-04-2011, 12:13 AM
first album is excellent...exactly what i'd want out of the hip hop/nu-metal hybrid era. dude could spit back then.

EVERYTHING after that is laughable and pathetic. fuck this band so hard post Self-Titled.

how psyched would u be if they toured and did the first album start to finish?

jhdeity
11-04-2011, 04:46 AM
first album is excellent...exactly what i'd want out of the hip hop/nu-metal hybrid era. dude could spit back then.

EVERYTHING after that is laughable and pathetic. fuck this band so hard post Self-Titled.

how psyched would u be if they toured and did the first album start to finish?

I got into Broke before the S/T. S/T took a while to sink in but it's in my Top 3 for sure with Only in Amerika. That album is just plain raw, nasty and comical. That's what makes this band so much fun to me. They're a hybrid of 2 Live Crew, punk and metal. You're dancing, moshing, singing along, headbanging all while being entertained by the Ringmaster. I think Jared is grossly underrated as a frontman. Dude commands the stage like few can.

Let's Ride is better than 90% of the hip-hop songs I've heard since then and his flow on it is top notch.

How can you not laugh at I'm murdering and stabbing so much vag, I'm wanted for Vagicide? That shit gets me every time. hahahaha

tenchimyo
11-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Is that the Van Halen song 'is This Love?' ?

I was just curious at the crowd (and attendance) these guys brought to Jaxx

I think I meant the Whitesnake song. Don't know what I was thinking.

But OP clarified the BOB MARLEY song of the same name