PDA

View Full Version : Gwar Guitarist Cory Smoot Found Dead

brutal_descent
11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/11/03/breaking-gwar-guitarist-cory-smoot-aka-flattus-maximus-found-dead/

Gwar guitarist Cory Smoot (aka Flattus Maximus) is dead. His band members found him deceased this morning as they prepared to cross the Canadian border. MetalSucks just received the following statement by Gwar mastermind Dave Brockie directly from the band’s camp:

It is with a sense of profound loss and tragedy that the members of GWAR must announce the passing of their long time guitarist and beloved friend Cory Smoot, also known to thousands of metal fans worldwide as Flattus Maximus. Cory was found deceased this morning as the band prepared for a border crossing. There is no word as to the cause of death and the members of GWAR are completely shocked and devastated that this has occurred. At this point there is no word on arrangements and the disposition of the remainder of GWAR’s current North American tour, nor are there any details regarding long term plans. At this point we are just dealing with the loss of our dear friend and brother, one of the most talented guitar players in metal today. We ask that our fans and the media be respectful of our request for privacy for those that have suffered this terrible loss. A full statement will be coming in the next day or so, in the meantime please give your thoughts and your prayers to Cory, his family, and all the people that love him.

- Dave Brockie

This sucks more than words can possibly express. Our thoughts and condolences go out to Cory’s friends, his family, and of course his bandmates.

- Everyone at MetalSucks

Glad I saw them before this happened. RIP
One of the most down-to-earth dudes I've had the pleasure of meeting in music.

Bands who've paid their respects:

Cattle Decapitation
Cannabis Corpse
All Shall Perish
Powerglove
D.R.I.
Municipal Waste
Valient Thorr
Blackguard
3 Inches Of Blood
Biohazard
The Red Chord
Warbeast
Ghoul
Kreator
Darkest Hour

greenReaper
11-03-2011, 11:37 AM
This is super upsetting. He was an underrated yet amazing guitarist and definitely died too early.

RIP

mankvill
11-03-2011, 11:42 AM
you little cunt I JUST POSTED THIS LOOK LITERALLY 3 THREADS DOWN :I

TonyD
11-03-2011, 11:45 AM
You mad cuz nobodys posting in ur thred

brutal_descent
11-03-2011, 11:48 AM
you little cunt I JUST POSTED THIS LOOK LITERALLY 3 THREADS DOWN :I

Hey, as soon as Powerglove put it on their Facebook I went here and posted it. I didn't look to see if anyone else had made a thread.

mankvill
11-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey, as soon as Powerglove put it on their Facebook I went here and posted it. I didn't look to see if anyone else had made a thread.

>he follows Powerglove on Facebook

BUT THERE IS NO TIME FOR THAT

RIP Cory Smoot :(

elturtleboy
11-03-2011, 11:58 AM
RIP :(

300%_Density
11-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Bullshit. Aliens from Antarctica aren't supposed to die :(

BloodoftheKings
11-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I immediately dismissed this as a hoax but then Casey Orr posted a status about it. Holy fuck, this is disappointing. Gwar might just be finished. If they continue the next album is going to sound very different. Corey has been pretty much the main songwriter on the past 4 albums, and he produced the 3 of them. I can only hope they find a new guy (or better yet bring back an old guy) but they're in their late 40's and they lost a very important member. R.I.P. :bouville:

Travis The Dragon
11-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I'm not a huge fan of this band, that that really is so very sad that we've lost another legend. RIP. :(

Steev
11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
that's terrible, I really feel Cory was a huge part of why Gwar is successful nowadays

I'm also kicking myself for not seeing Mensrea when I had the chance

larvtard
11-03-2011, 12:59 PM
RIP :( this sucks, apparently GWAR plays in Burlington all the time, now I may not be able to ever see them :(

(well, it sucks for many more reasons that that, I'm just saying...)

electrocute1031
11-03-2011, 01:07 PM
horrible news :bawling:. Amazing guitarist, can't imagine what the rest of the members are going through right now.

DisasterPiece120
11-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Wow I didn't believe it when I saw Paul Ablaze (singer of Blackguard) posted it on facebook and I find it hard to believe now. RIP Cory.

mastodon421
11-03-2011, 01:13 PM
This is awful. Caught me completely off guard. RIP:(

ShatteredFlame
11-03-2011, 01:14 PM
RIP :( this sucks, apparently GWAR plays in Burlington all the time, now I may not be able to ever see them :(

(well, it sucks for many more reasons that that, I'm just saying...)

yeah i feel like a dick for pondering whether the CT show in a few weeks is going to happen or not.

Can't imagine what they're going through personally.

noahj
11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Glad I saw them last year. I have tickets for Denver to take my 9 year old son. Sad news.

RIP

jd091
11-03-2011, 02:10 PM
http://operatorchan.org/k/src/k312248_this%20thread%20diam.jpg

InFlamesOfBirchmen
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Glad I saw them last year. I have tickets for Denver to take my 9 year old son. Sad news.

RIP

That's awesome. Why can't you be my father?

Thrasher-NY
11-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Terrible tragedy RIP Cory Thoughts and prayers to his family and GWAR.

GWAR654
11-03-2011, 03:53 PM
im so sad and devastated about this. RIP buddy. Glad i was able to see you one last time Monday.

dcmetal108
11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
RIP Man!

Sad I never got to see him play!

christopher
11-03-2011, 05:20 PM
This is sad news indeed. I don't think it will affect GWAR's future too much. Yes, he has helped make the last few albums kick ass, but he's only been in the band since 2002. They've had plenty of lead guitarists before him and will find someone else to replace him in the future. I hope the best for Corey's friends and family.

BloodoftheKings
11-03-2011, 05:24 PM
This is sad news indeed. I don't think it will affect GWAR's future too much. Yes, he has helped make the last few albums kick ass, but he's only been in the band since 2002. They've had plenty of lead guitarists before him and will find someone else to replace him in the future. I hope the best for Corey's friends and family.

No, it is going to drastically affect Gwar's future. Cory might have only been in the band for 9 years but he was the main songwriter on the last 4 albums, as a matter of fact he wrote the whole thing of Bloody Pit of Horror with little to no help from the rest of the band. That and he produced the last couple albums. Cory was the driving force behind Gwar's current sound and if they make a new album it will be different.

makethemsuffer12
11-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Shit. Was never a GWAR fan, but this is so unexpected. RIP.

BloodoftheKings
11-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Gwar is going to continue the tour. Not sure how.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2011/11/03/gwars-show-in-edmonton-still-a-go/

treghet
11-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Surprising that they're still going to play. I can't imagine how weird it must be to go on stage right after one of your bandmates died.

BloodoftheKings
11-03-2011, 07:03 PM
Surprising that they're still going to play. I can't imagine how weird it must be to go on stage right after one of your bandmates died.

I'm interested to see how this is gonna go down. They might just not even get a replacement and have Derks (Balsac) play lead. I would imagine they do some kind of out of costume tribute towards the end of the show.

hellawaits77ny
11-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Such a shame. RIP

Kinda f'ed up to continue the tour.

noahj
11-04-2011, 04:16 AM
Ya I'm wondering if they'll finish the entire tour or just Edmonton. My son was crushed last night when I told him. Can't imagine losing a friend like that and going on without time to grieve.

Nater
11-04-2011, 05:45 AM
I only see them going on because they don't want to break the commitment they made to fans. Maybe they will pull a slipknot and put his costume on a cross or something.