PDA

View Full Version : Judas Priest -- Edmonton, Alberta -- November 1st, 2011

Dissimulate
11-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Random observation: out of all the concerts I've been at, this probably had the most people smoking at it.

Thin Lizzy:
Are You Ready
Waiting For An Alibi
Jailbreak
Massacre
Emerald
Killer On The Loose
Rosalie/Cowgirl's Song
Black Rose
Cowboy Song
The Boys Are Back In Town

They were decent, I'm not a huge fan of them but their performance was solid, if you like them on record I'd say that you'd like them live.

Black Label Society:
Crazy Horse
Funeral Bell
Bleed for Me
Demise of Sanity
Overlord
Parade of the Dead
Fire it Up
Guitar Solo
Godspeed Hell Bound
Suicide Messiah
Concrete Jungle
Stillborn

I'm not a huge fan of them on record, but they were good live. The crowd went absolutely fucking crazy for them. After the first song, there wasn't a mosh pit. The entire front half of the crowd was being pushed back and forth. It took some effort just to push the people surrounding me far enough away to breathe comfortably. After about the first half of the set it died down a bit and people started actually moshing again, I decided I had enough physical contact for the night and went to the edge of the pit (if you can deal with the occasional person crashing into you, you can get a really good view of the stage). When Fire it Up started, the smoking got to a ridiculous level and I started smoking other people's stuff instead of my own. You may not believe that he would actually play a 10 minute guitar solo, but he did. This wouldn't be a problem if he was Jeff Beck or Tony Iommi or anybody who could play a decent solo, but it was 10 minutes of him wanking the whammy bar interspersed with tapping. It would have sucked if I was sober. I think they might have played Suicide Messiah earlier in the set, but my memory of it isn't that great.

Judas Priest:
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods
Heading Out to the Highway
Judas Rising
Starbreaker
Victim of Changes
Never Satisfied
Diamonds & Rust
Dawn Of Creation
Prophecy
Night Crawler
Turbo Lover
Beyond the Realms of Death
The Sentinel
Blood Red Skies
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown)
Breaking the Law
Painkiller
-------------------------------------------
The Hellion
Electric Eye
Hell Bent for Leather
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
--------------------------------------------
Living After Midnight

This was an epic performance. Halford definitely still has it, he didn't seem to have much problem hitting some insane highs. Whatshisface the new guitarist played all the material pretty spot on. They had a great stage set up, the laser effects were really cool (during Electric Eye, they had a solid fan of blue lasers with green lasers passing underneath), same with the stage setup and the lighting. They had a video backdrop, it had some cool stuff on it (and some random geometric shape stuff). Really I don't have much to write because it was just plain awesome. If you're thinking about seeing them, on this tour or in the future, DO IT, they're amazing live and you may never get a chance again.

bigguytoo9
11-02-2011, 09:29 PM
hit up a Snoop Dogg concert and you will see the ammount of "smoking" from this show, put to shame.

Christen
11-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Drove 6 hours from Prince Albert, SK to go to this. I'd go on record saying it's one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Here's a couple of my thoughts:

Thin Lizzy: Meh, they were okay. I mean they sounded good and everything, but watching them live is pretty underwhelming.

Black Label Society: Holy fuck were these guys awesome! I gotta agree with you about the floor, absolutely nuts. I was off to the side and felt like (and still do) that I was in crazy pit. Was very exhausted after their set.

Judas Priest: Had to retreat to the stands to watch Priest. After the Black Label set I don't think I could have been able to handle the 2+ hours of Priest on the floor.

Anyways, what can you say about Priest that hasn't all ready been said? They were INCREDIBLE! They sounded really tight, Rob's voice was great and those screams... god damn.

All in all an awesome night. I picked up the BLS Canadian Chapter and the Epitaph tour T at the merch table.

treghet
11-03-2011, 04:31 AM
hit up a Snoop Dogg concert and you will see the ammount of "smoking" from this show, put to shame.

I actually saw him once. :eyes:

Maidenmagic
11-03-2011, 04:32 AM
They allow smoking at concert venues? (Non bars and non-desinated areas, I mean.)

treghet
11-03-2011, 04:35 AM
In open air ones, yes.

Edit: Just checked and this was an indoor show. Security probably just couldn't do anything about it.

TonyD
11-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah even in arenas they can't do much about it, there's enough open space so that it doesn't get noxious though.

Are you sure BLS played Demise of Sanity? I'm 99% sure all they played off 1919 was Bleed For Me at my date.

And let me just say that it was awesome to not look at the set ahead of time and hear a few songs like Starbreaker, Blood Red Skies, The Sentinel and Beyond the Realms of Death. It was kind of cool that they played Never Satisfied but you could tell that they probably haven't played it since the 70s, so the mojo wasn't there. I didn't really need to hear Turbo Lover, and don't even get me started on You've Got Another Thing Comin.

marker
11-03-2011, 10:04 AM

You're right,I went to 311 and Snoop once to check it out,smokefest galore.

Maidenmagic
11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
In open air ones, yes.

Edit: Just checked and this was an indoor show. Security probably just couldn't do anything about it.

When I went to the woodlands pavillion (which is open air) in Houston to see Maiden the guys in the front of me were chewed out for smoking. I guess it depends on the venue.

Dissimulate
11-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah even in arenas they can't do much about it, there's enough open space so that it doesn't get noxious though.

Are you sure BLS played Demise of Sanity? I'm 99% sure all they played off 1919 was Bleed For Me at my date.

And let me just say that it was awesome to not look at the set ahead of time and hear a few songs like Starbreaker, Blood Red Skies, The Sentinel and Beyond the Realms of Death. It was kind of cool that they played Never Satisfied but you could tell that they probably haven't played it since the 70s, so the mojo wasn't there. I didn't really need to hear Turbo Lover, and don't even get me started on You've Got Another Thing Comin.

I'm not sure, I took the BLS setlist from another thread and it looked right. This was the first time I've seen Priest, so the overplayed hits didn't bother me. The venue is literally a conference centre, they take down the dividing walls for three concert halls or so and it's all general admission. The guards did push their way through the crowd a couple of times, but they only caught a few people, overall they don't care much about it.

HackedUpForBBQ
11-03-2011, 03:24 PM
You're right,I went to 311 and Snoop once to check it out,smokefest galore.

The amount of smoking (weed and cigarettes) at the Roger Waters The Wall concert was, by far, the most I've seen at a show. It was in an arena too, but regardless there were people blatantly smoking everywhere even during intermission when the house lights were on. At the end of the show the haze that hung in that arena was flat out insane, props to everyone who participated