PDA

View Full Version : Metallica Recording New Album (No Lou)

imanidiot777
10-26-2011, 04:22 PM
http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/rob-trujillo-confirms-work-on-new-metallica-album-has-begun/

I hope they get better mixing and production than whatever that was on Death Magnetic.

ravenheart
10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
I hope they get better mixing and production than whatever that was on Death Magnetic.

Mixing was fine, production was fine. They need to stop the record company fucking with it after they've handed it over. That's the problem.

Maidenmagic
10-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Metallica was the first band I saw live so a new album would mean a North American tour. They put on a good show and I would like to see them again. I'm predicting that both the album and tour should happen no sooner than 2013.

Epidemic Reign
10-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm calling the album title right now... Redemption 2.0

MPF
10-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm calling it Kill Lighting Puppets Justice: Metallica Load and Reload Anger Magnetic

Christen
10-26-2011, 04:52 PM
If a new album means a new tour it may mean I'll finally get a chance to see Metallica live.

imanidiot777
10-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm calling it Kill Lighting Puppets Justice: Metallica Load and Reload Anger Magnetic

:rocker:

Maidenmagic
10-26-2011, 04:56 PM
If a new album means a new tour it may mean I'll finally get a chance to see Metallica live.

I hope you do friend. Like I said, their show is worth the money.

daimonos
10-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Metallica was my first concert, too. On the St. Anger Tour in 2004 (Last time they've played in Pittsburgh). I wasn't a fan of the band at the time, and had just casually heard their stuff on the radio, but my brother was a fan and I went with him and my parents. I started listening to them a year later and would have killed to see them at anytime basically. I'll go see them in a heartbeat, if I ever have the chance. I can hardly remember any details at all from that show, which sucks. I just know they opened with Blackened.

powerslave_85
10-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Mixing was fine, production was fine. They need to stop the record company fucking with it after they've handed it over. That's the problem.
You'd think that at this point, Metallica would have enough clout to tell any record label to fuck off if they mess with the album.

Sanitarium78
10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm predicting that both the album and tour should happen no sooner than 2013.

I could see it coming out sometime next year actually. Besides the Lou Reed debacle and some shows here and there this year, they've been pretty quiet otherwise. There's no reason to think a new album couldn't be ready for 2012.

Maidenmagic
10-26-2011, 07:04 PM
I just know they like to do "Escape from the studio" tours which seems to slow down the making of an album.

Epidemic Reign
10-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Metallica was the first band I saw live so a new album would mean a North American tour.

That's correct, a new album would mean a new tour because they were the first band you saw live. :tongue:

MPF
10-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I was wrong earlier, here's the album cover for the new album. I guess they are trying to find some underlying message here:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/315569_10150373982374907_5954199906_8067674_141338 4177_n.jpg

Nater
10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
If they play the TD Garden again I might drop a lil bit of money to see them. Not a huge fan of them these days but I figure why not?

AnthG
10-26-2011, 09:19 PM
You'd think that at this point, Metallica would have enough clout to tell any record label to fuck off if they mess with the album.

Yeah, because when I think of artistic integrity, Metallica is the first band to come to mind.

Christen
10-26-2011, 09:54 PM
I hope you do friend. Like I said, their show is worth the money.

Out of my all time favorite bands, Metallica is the only one I really have left to see.

Sinister_Chalupa666
10-27-2011, 12:48 AM
I really liked Death Magnetic :rocker:

Hopefully new tour soon and hope the support is good again like last tour.

Fe Maiden
10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Mixing was fine, production was fine. They need to stop the record company fucking with it after they've handed it over. That's the problem.Too much compression and they tried to make it loud.

BloodoftheKings
01-09-2012, 06:01 AM
According to this (http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/61312) article Kirk and Lars are saying the new album will sound like a "heavier version of the black album" and will have shorter songs (Lars used Harvester of Sorrow and Fuel as examples of short Metallica songs).

MetalIsArt
01-09-2012, 06:09 AM
Good news.

I also like DM quite a lot, especially My Apocalypse & All Nightmare Long.

Of course, the production wasn't the best, but it never bothered me as much as the drums on St. Anger.

Maidenmagic
01-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Groove with Metallica? No thank you. It sounds like they want to have a modern sound...

MetalIsArt
01-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Groove with Metallica? No thank you. It sounds like they want to have a modern sound...

You haven't heard one note yet. :tp:

Harvester Of Sorrow and many Black Album songs have groove.

Jebus.

ravenheart
01-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Groove > no groove.

Don't get confused with "groove metal" the sub-genre, which is both totally made-up and a complete mislabeling, since nothing in it actually grooves except Pantera.

Groove is a feel, not a style.

ravenheart
01-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Too much compression and they tried to make it loud.

Precisely what I said. The label did that, not the band.

AnthG
01-09-2012, 08:43 AM
People are actually confident this band will make something good again?

detuned
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Precisely what I said. The label did that, not the band.
i guess you missed the 500 interviews where lars said the sound was completely intentional

ravenheart
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
i guess you missed the 500 interviews where lars said the sound was completely intentional

He ALWAYS says that. He's lying. That's why the Guitar Hero version of the album sounds different, because the label didn't get to fuck with it before it was mastered. If it had come from the band with the dynamic range compression added, it would sound the same on both versions.

ravenheart
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
People are actually confident this band will make something good again?

They already did. So, yes.

detuned
01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
He ALWAYS says that. He's lying. That's why the Guitar Hero version of the album sounds different, because the label didn't get to fuck with it before it was mastered. If it had come from the band with the dynamic range compression added, it would sound the same on both versions.
youre crazy if you think the band has absolutely no say in the final product. presumably guitar hero needed the album before it was mastered, maybe even mixed to the bands liking if you are to believe ted jensen. and while it does sound drastically better than the final version, its still pretty bad sounding. mastering media blog (http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/) chronicled all this shit pretty well, choice quotes:

ted jensen: (http://www.metallicabb.com/index.php?showtopic=85317&st=0)
I’m certainly sympathetic to your reaction, I get to slam my head against that brick wall every day. In this case the mixes were already brick walled before they arrived at my place. Suffice it to say I would never be pushed to overdrive things as far as they are here. Believe me I’m not proud to be associated with this one, and we can only hope that some good will come from this in some form of backlash against volume above all else.
chris athens: (http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-sounds-better.html)
Rick Rubin and Metallica are solely responsible for the end product. They gave the directions, they approved it. They are not rookies and no one at the label can ever bully these guys into anything. Both parties are 800 pound gorillas in the music industry. These guys are smart and in control. You and I may not like their taste, but it's not a Chris Athens record. It's a metallica record and this is what they want to give the record buying public. Only Metallica and Rick know why it sounds like it does.
lars: (http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/2008/09/metallica-death-magnetic-distortion-is.html)
Listen, there's nothing up with the audio quality. It's 2008, and that's how we make records... Of course, I've heard that there are a few people complaining. But I've been listening to it the last couple of days in my car, and it sounds fuckin' smokin'

Natrlhi
01-09-2012, 10:04 AM
This.

MetalIsArt
01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Whatever it'll be, it'll piss off some fanboys who'll be claiming that Metallica's time is over and that it's impossible to like anyhing past the Black Album, not even DM.

And of course it won't sell, and that's good, because otherwise it's not methul.

AnthG
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM

Meh, I'd hardly call Death Magnetic good. More like "not terrible"

TonyD
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Meh, I'd hardly call Death Magnetic good. More like "not terrible"

This

MetalIsArt
01-09-2012, 11:31 AM
This

Not a surprise coming from you. ;)

John The Drummer
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Maybe if they tour Blackguard will open for them.

metallicbrian666
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, because when I think of artistic integrity, Metallica is the first band to come to mind.
Yeah, because making the music you want rather than something that would please the fans shows that they lack artistic integrity. They should compromise their art to impress everyone, maybe then they'll have artistic integrity.

If you're gonna use sarcasm, you should probably do it correctly.

John The Drummer
01-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I wonder how many ideas they have layed out on the table right now.

*cough*

MetalIsArt
01-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Yeah, because making the music you want rather than something that would please the fans shows that they lack artistic integrity. They should compromise their art to impress everyone, maybe then they'll have artistic integrity.

Luckily, they never listened to their "fans".

Artistic integrity means that you do whatever you find necessary to express yourself. You can whine & moan about everything they did after 1991, a lot of the criticism comes from jealousy anyway: "why did they make it throughout the nineties and other troo methulbands not?"

metallicbrian666
01-10-2012, 04:58 AM
Luckily, they never listened to their "fans".

Artistic integrity means that you do whatever you find necessary to express yourself. You can whine & moan about everything they did after 1991, a lot of the criticism comes from jealousy anyway: "why did they make it throughout the nineties and other troo methulbands not?"
Bingo. I personally wasn't around at that time, so I can't speak for the people who watched it happen, but I don't get why people care so much. They still play all of the awesome old songs live. Almost every song on the first 4 albums is extremely memorable and most metalheads know them, which is a quality no other metal band has (imo)

MetalIsArt
01-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Bingo. I personally wasn't around at that time, so I can't speak for the people who watched it happen, but I don't get why people care so much. They still play all of the awesome old songs live. Almost every song on the first 4 albums is extremely memorable and most metalheads know them, which is a quality no other metal band has (imo)

Certainly.

I believe that the best is yet to come.

AnthG
01-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Seriously? Are you like, completely unaware of the history of this band? And the changes they've made to their sound? I mean, Black Album had a more mainstream sound to capture a wider audience (I like that album and all, but come on), and Load and ReLoad which tried to capitalize on the alternative scene then when playing Metal wasn't cool anymore. Plus can't you then make the argument that St. Anger and Death Magnetic were attempts to please the fans by trying to go back to the older/heavier sound and feel in order to please the fans that didn't like the Load/ReLoad stuff? Or maybe that ignoring those albums in live setlists and playing the old stuff that fans want to hear is another way of pleasing their fans and not playing the stuff they want?

There's also stuff like Metallica Monopoly. 'nuff said.

Epidemic Reign
01-10-2012, 11:06 AM

http://www.metallica.com/images/Metallica_mn_gb_web.jpg

True story.

darkguardian50
01-10-2012, 11:54 AM

Actually the production guy said it was a horrible mix that was delivered to them. So can't blame the record company for that. Everyone seems to be pointing fingers at this one. But considering Metallica's history of bad production I tend to believe what the production guy said.

AnthG
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
While we're on the topic of Artistic integrity, here's a quote from the latest metalsucks post about these guys

"Meanwhile, in semi-related news, in the same interview, Ulrich says the band’s upcoming 3D movie will be a concert film — so, alas, no Metallica’s Spice World for us. He also reveals that the band “ didn’t want to do [the film]” and “were sold on it by our managers,” which is probably a good indicator of the level of artistic quality fans can expect from this thing."

I just thought it fit with this discussion.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/01/10/no-really-guys-this-next-metallica-album-is-gonna-be-the-shit/

darkguardian50
01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
While we're on the topic of Artistic integrity, here's a quote from the latest metalsucks post about these guys

"Meanwhile, in semi-related news, in the same interview, Ulrich says the band’s upcoming 3D movie will be a concert film — so, alas, no Metallica’s Spice World for us. He also reveals that the band “ didn’t want to do [the film]” and “were sold on it by our managers,” which is probably a good indicator of the level of artistic quality fans can expect from this thing."

http://www.metalsucks.net/2012/01/10/no-really-guys-this-next-metallica-album-is-gonna-be-the-shit/

I haven't always liked everything Metallica has done. God knows Lulu was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've heard in awhile and the less said about St. Anger the better. But you gotta respect a band that is continually touring and moreover putting together different setlists every night. Its says alot about what they think of their fans. Not many bands do that anymore sadly.

metallicbrian666
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Seriously? Are you like, completely unaware of the history of this band? And the changes they've made to their sound? I mean, Black Album had a more mainstream sound to capture a wider audience (I like that album and all, but come on), and Load and ReLoad which tried to capitalize on the alternative scene then when playing Metal wasn't cool anymore. Plus can't you then make the argument that St. Anger and Death Magnetic were attempts to please the fans by trying to go back to the older/heavier sound and feel in order to please the fans that didn't like the Load/ReLoad stuff? Or maybe that ignoring those albums in live setlists and playing the old stuff that fans want to hear is another way of pleasing their fans and not playing the stuff they want?

They moved in the direction they wanted to, which just so happened to be more mainstream. And then they pretty much said "fuck you" to everyone and released an album that pretty much everyone aside from the band finds hard to listen to. Why are you so upset, did security refuse to give you a backstage pass on their last tour despite your claims of being "THE number one fan"?

AnthG
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm not upset at all. In fact if anything you're the one who's upset because I insulted the band in a post that's at least a month old.

MetalIsArt
01-11-2012, 03:19 AM
AC/DC monopoly
The Beatles monopoly

Did their fans ever cry as heavily you think? I bet you didn't even know those bands had one too.

MetalIsArt
01-11-2012, 03:24 AM
Lulu is bad, but does that mean I'm not a fan anymore? No way.

I like bands that always make the same records (Motörhead, AC/DC) but challenges are much appreciated.

MetalIsArt
01-11-2012, 03:25 AM

U2 3D is also a concert film. Alter Bridge will release a 3D concert on dvd shortly. Is there a law that forbids Metallica to do the same?

ravenheart
01-11-2012, 03:28 AM
U2 3D is also a concert film. Alter Bridge will release a 3D concert on dvd shortly. Is there a law that forbids Metallica to do the same?

Yes. The law that says 3D is a shitty gimmick and no-one should be releasing anything using it.

MetalIsArt
01-11-2012, 03:30 AM
Yes. The law that says 3D is a shitty gimmick and no-one should be releasing anything using it.

I agree, but you get my point.

ravenheart
01-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Indeed. Although I think what the MetalSucks guy was getting at in their usual beer-can-to-the-forehead way is that the band didn't want to do it in the first place, so they shouldn't be doing it. And the fact that they are doing it after having their arms twisted by management who saw a quick buck, could mean they won't be putting too much creative effort into it.

Fortunately though, when it's a concert film, band involvement is pretty minimal unless you're an interferring megalomaniac like Steve Harris.

Maidenmagic
01-11-2012, 06:27 AM
They didn't want to do the black album in its entirety but they gave in. So this isn't the first time. How is Steve Harris a megalomaniac?!

MetalIsArt
01-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Indeed. Although I think what the MetalSucks guy was getting at in their usual beer-can-to-the-forehead way is that the band didn't want to do it in the first place, so they shouldn't be doing it. And the fact that they are doing it after having their arms twisted by management who saw a quick buck, could mean they won't be putting too much creative effort into it.

Fortunately though, when it's a concert film, band involvement is pretty minimal unless you're an interferring megalomaniac like Steve Harris.

You honestly take those comments about "we didn't want to do it" seriously?

I like Lars, but sometimes you don't know if he's serious or not.

ravenheart
01-11-2012, 06:47 AM
How is Steve Harris a megalomaniac?!

Have you SEEN the editing of the DVDs he insisted on doing himself?

ravenheart
01-11-2012, 06:49 AM
You honestly take those comments about "we didn't want to do it" seriously?

I like Lars, but sometimes you don't know if he's serious or not.

He said it, not me. It's an irrelevant point all round. It'll be a pro-shot Metallica concert no doubt handled by a decent director and a decent editor. Practically every pro-shot concert of Metallica since about 2003 looks and sounds great. And those are just the ones that aren't official.

MetalIsArt
01-11-2012, 06:51 AM

Lol, he IS the boss after all mate. ;)

ravenheart
01-11-2012, 07:51 AM
Lol, he IS the boss after all mate. ;)

And the definition of a boss who insists on controlling everything even when they're not the right person to be doing it is... ? ;)

AnthG
01-11-2012, 09:53 AM
AC/DC monopoly
The Beatles monopoly

Did their fans ever cry as heavily you think? I bet you didn't even know those bands had one too.

I'm not going around saying that these bands have a ton of artistic integrity either though. Justin Bieber and Glee released 3D concert films as well. So did the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus if i'm not mistaken. I'm not saying Metallica is the only band that does it, but i'm also not excusing the other bands for doing it and blaming solely Metallica.

Maidenmagic
01-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Yes, Death on the road is difficult to watch.

MetalIsArt
01-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I'm not going around saying that these bands have a ton of artistic integrity either though. Justin Bieber and Glee released 3D concert films as well. So did the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus if i'm not mistaken. I'm not saying Metallica is the only band that does it, but i'm also not excusing the other bands for doing it and blaming solely Metallica.

The Beatles Monopoly
AC/DC Monopoly

Artistic integrity?

El Gordo
01-11-2012, 04:11 PM
The Beatles Monopoly
AC/DC Monopoly

Artistic integrity?

Didn't you just post this?

MetalIsArt
01-12-2012, 02:09 AM
;) Didn't you just post this?

Yes, but I never got a reaction.

I won't do it again though.

AnthG
01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I responded to that first post though...