PDA

View Full Version : Mastodon -- Austin, TX -- October 25th, 2011

mankvill
10-25-2011, 11:15 PM
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mastodon/2011/la-zona-rosa-austin-tx-43d1bb4b.html

Dry Bone Valley
Black Tongue
Crystal Skull
I Am Ahab
Capillarian Crest
Colony of Birchmen
Megalodon
Blasteroid
Sleeping Giant
Ghost of Karelia
All the Heavy Lifting
Curl of the Burl
Spectrelight
Bedazzled Fingernails
Circle of Cysquatch
Aqua Dementia
Crack the Skye
Where Strides The Behemoth
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Blood and Thunder

christopher
10-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Awesome set. I heard Gary Lindsey from Assjack sang Blood and Thunder with them.

MPF
10-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Except for the exclusion of This Mortal Soil (I gave up on ever seeing it live) and Hearts Alive (The first tour of the Crack The Skye tour, in Minnesota was the last time it was played, I was there :) ) This is perfection. I want it see it in Minnesota, but I won't. Oh well.

mankvill
10-25-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't think the tour with DEP and Red Fang has started just yet, I believe the lineup for this show was:

Mastodon
Black Tusk
Ancient Wisdom

christopher
10-25-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't think the tour with DEP and Red Fang has started just yet, I believe the lineup for this show was:

Mastodon
Black Tusk
Ancient Wisdom

Is there another Ancient Wisdom besides the Swedish one? I looked it up on m-a and can't find anything there..

mankvill
10-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Is there another Ancient Wisdom besides the Swedish one? I looked it up on m-a and can't find anything there..

Probably just random local band.

christopher
10-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Probably just random local band.

Oh for sure. I was hoping for something cool to be introduced to

jd091
10-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Crystal Skull
I Am Ahab
Capillarian Crest
Colony of Birchmen
Megalodon
Sleeping Giant
Circle of Cysquatch
Aqua Dementia
Where Strides The Behemoth
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Blood and Thunder

Wow. That is fucking excellent. Excellent. Really makes me consider giving up on my VIP BTBAM tickets for that night... :(

christopher
10-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Wow. That is fucking excellent. Excellent. Really makes me consider giving up on my VIP BTBAM tickets for that night... :(

I would give it up if I were you. I REALLY want to go to this upcoming tour, but I dont want to fucking drive to Hollywood all the way from San Bernardino(which according to google maps its only 68 miles, but still!!), then have to get up at 7am the next day for 6 hours of school:hecho: I wish this tour was coming to Pomona so I could only have to drive 15 minutes to see :(

Rocco44
10-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Well fuck me, the last 6 songs are fantastic.

mankvill
10-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Well fuck me, the last 6 songs are fantastic.

Correction:

The first 12 and last 9 songs are fantastic.

Rocco44
10-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Correction:

The first 12 and last 9 songs are fantastic.

haha definitely disagree, but the show will be great nonetheless

TheClairvoyant
10-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Awesome fucking setlist, can't wait to see these guys live again!

The only problem with the set is the fact that 'The Sparrow' and 'Stargasm' arn't there, as well as only 2 songs from the Crack the Skye album, I'd love to see them play 'Divinations' again :tongue:

But other then that, you gotta love the fantastic dose of Leviathan and Blood Mountain songs (and hopefully one day they'll start play This Mortal Soil again)

Oh and does anybody else agree that the set should be re-arranged? like the new songs should be put in different slots instead of having 4 of them in a row? :confused:

masterguy49
10-26-2011, 04:03 AM
Holy mother fucking shit. Why does this tour and Judas Priest have to be on the same day :hecho:

mastodon421
10-26-2011, 04:31 AM
That setlist is:drool:. I really hope they keep it for the headlining tour. They are playing pretty much every song from The Hunter that I want to hear and the Blood Mountain/Levithan heavy rest of the set has me beyond excited.

lowestform
10-26-2011, 05:58 AM
will be interesting to see how much this set changes for the tour with DEP. I'm guessing they won't play 21 songs, unfortunately. Kinda surprised not to see Creature Lives and Stargasm, Troy said those were the two new songs he was most looking forward to playing. Awesome set, though.

smearCampaign
10-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Best Mastodon show I have seen to date. I know that they can be kind of hit-or-miss, but since this was the first date of the tour they were all really on top of their game. My girlfriend and I arrived to the venue a little late and as we walked up we saw Troy out by the tour bus and said hello briefly. We got in right after Black Tusk finished, so I don’t have a set for them. This show was at a venue that rarely has metal (except for during SXSW) so it was kind of an odd choice; I wish it would’ve been at Stubb’s because the sound at La Zona Rosa is not that great. The place is essentially an old auto shop/garage so the acoustics aren’t ideal. But that didn’t really matter, because Mastodon just steam rolled over the house sound system with their wall of amps. They moved around on stage quite a bit (for Mastodon) and looked like they were having a great time. The new songs got a really good crowd reaction, with the most probably being for All The Heavy Lifting. So all in all, 7 songs off of the new album, 5 from both Blood Mountain and Leviathan, and 2 from both Crack The Skye and Remission. More from Remission or anything from Lifesblood would be nice; but considering it’s the first tour for The Hunter, I was very pleased with this setlist.

Yes, there is. They are a local Austin band. They actually spell it Ancient VVisdom, with 2 capital V's. Their most notable item has been a split they did with Charles Manson.

Indestructible
10-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Good set, hope they keep it for when I see them next month. All they need to do is add in Creature Lives and that's everything I want to hear off of the new album.

JRA
10-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Way to pick the wrong fucking songs from Crack The Skye. Ghost of Karelia = :barf:

Natrlhi
10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
...have to get up at 7am the next day for 6 hours of school:hecho:I go to shows all the time and get up at 6:00 AM for an hour of driving followed by nine to ten hours of WORK, followed by another hour of driving. And you're half my age.

Pussy.

;)

Indestructible
10-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Way to pick the wrong fucking songs from Crack The Skye. Ghost of Karelia = :barf:

They can't pick the wrong songs from Crack The Skye, because there is nothing wrong about that album:D

jd091
10-26-2011, 10:49 AM
They can't pick the wrong songs from Crack The Skye, because there is nothing wrong about that album:D

I wish they'd just ignore it totally. They played the fuck out of it already, and its by far their weakest. ;)

InFlamesOfBirchmen
10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
This is without a doubt, one of the most beautiful set lists I've ever seen. All it needs is Hearts Alive and it'd be perfect. I'm going to the missing link show at the end of the tour, so hopefully the set will remain similar.

PlaysWithKnives
10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Fantastic set. If they happen to throw in Oblivion or Hearts Alive it would make it perfect for me. Can't wait to see them next month.

dcmetal108
10-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I wish they'd just ignore it totally. They played the fuck out of it already, and its by far their weakest. ;)

I hope someday I they play it all again lol. Never got to see it.

smearCampaign
10-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Here is a video I shot of Blasteroid last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZTvnP7YdYQ

toolfansat
10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Wow! Nice set!

I might catch them in Boston, not sure... I already have back-to-back shows that weekend and a 3rd might be asking too much and still have to function at work! (G'N'R and Priest are the other 2 the previous 2 nights).

bigguytoo9
10-27-2011, 12:05 PM
You got that right Crack The Skye is my least fav Mastodon album. It bores the heck out of me, The Hunter is a welcome return IMO.

MPF
10-27-2011, 05:55 PM
According to Mastodon's website. This is the set for the US tour.

Shadowswillfall414
10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks crack the skye is there best album...?

TheClairvoyant
10-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I don't blame you for thinking it's there best, I see myself listening to it every now and then thinking 'This is fucking awesome' with songs like Divinations, The Czar, Crack the Skye etc. The only song I'm not really that keen on is 'Quintessence', but itspossibly my second favourite Mastodon album (First being Blood Mountain*

TheClairvoyant
10-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Also, here's footage of 'Dry Bone Valley' from the Soundgarden gig, Brahn really sounds good here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cVIvbT_KKE&feature=channel_video_title