PDA

View Full Version : GWAR -- Charlotte, NC -- October 18th, 2011

AnataFan4Life
10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
My face and hands are still blood red as I type this. Didn't get a setlist, sorry. :eyes:

Driving through pouring down rain, we got to the venue right as Ghoul started playing. I'm sure most of you already know who they are, but if you don't, check them out! Their fun, catchy combination of death metal, thrash metal, and goregrind translated very well live. They brought out the Killbot during "Rise, Killbot, Rise!", and Destructor came out during the song of the same name, which was pretty badass. They even "fought" at one point of the show. Plenty of nasty circle pits going on too.

Every Time I Die took the stage next, and their brand of southern tinged hardcore/metalcore seemed to draw in a whole new crowd altogether (there were actually a lot of people who came to the show just for them). They had no stage props obviously, instead just relying on pure energy for their set. There were plenty of guys there throwing down (I swear I saw somebody get thrown). They actually didn't interact with the crowd as much as I thought they would, but that was probably under the assumption that most of the people there were waiting for GWAR, but it was still a very solid performance.

After spending a bit of time setting up, the band everyone was waiting for hit the stage. After being greeted by the character that would later be revealed to be "Sawborg Destructo", the band revealed themselves onstage. As soon as Oderus severed the head of the zombie fellow onstage (i'm rather behind on the GWAR Mythos, so excuse me if I don't know the names of a few of these people) the ENTIRE front half of the venue erupted into a violent storm of people pushing to get to the front of the stage so that they could get covered in the blood and guts. Some highlights included them wrestling and killing a giant monster and busting out the "Blood Cannon". They brought out their usual celebrity to kill, though I couldn't identify who it was (if anyone can, i'll go back and edit this), but she was pregnant, and in GWAR fashion, they tied her down to a table and gave her a GWAR-style abortion. All the while they burned through many choice cuts, beginning with newer tracks such as "A Gathering of Ghouls" and "Bring Back the Bomb". Towards the later half of their set, they played some of their classic songs, such as "Ham on the Bone" and ended by playing the first three tracks from the Scumdogs album. During "Maggots" the infamous World Maggot came out and devoured some groupies, and during "Sick of You", Oderus ended the show on an amazing note: by taking Cuttlefish and masturbating on the entire audience. Also, during the "quiet" part of the song, he and the entire audience began singing the song from the "1-800-777-CASHNOW" commerical :lol:.

I had a hell of a time at this show. I also didn't realize it until the bands playing mentioned it, but we were the first date on the tour. I think it goes without saying, but if you have a chance to go to this, DO IT. :rocker:

BloodoftheKings
10-19-2011, 12:51 PM
No setlist? BOOOOO!
Oderus singing the JG Wentworth commercial sounds awesome though.

hot_turkey_ed
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
GWAR lists can be difficult, given what goes on GWAR concerts -- esp if you are getting "duly rewarded".

Any GWAR reports -- ok, almost any .. just for the anonymous dickwad troll bedwetting asshole son of bitch who will prove me wrong -- are good reports imo.

mankvill
10-19-2011, 02:03 PM
GWAR lists can be difficult, given what goes on GWAR concerts -- esp if you are getting "duly rewarded".

Any GWAR reports -- ok, almost any .. just for the anonymous dickwad troll bedwetting asshole son of bitch who will prove me wrong -- are good reports imo.

The first time I saw GWAR I stood back and didn't get anything on me and got a correct setlist.

The second time, I was right up front and got completely soaked and had an amazing time.

So yeah, for GWAR I don't worry about sets.

Wizzbang11
10-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Soo for sure...

Zombies March
Let Us Slay
A Gathering of Ghouls
Bring Back the Bomb
Ham on the Bone
Salaminizer
Maggots
Sick of You

(probably)
2-3 off BPoH
1-2 off LiS

and that leaves 2 or 3 songs to cover VHA-BH I'm guessing.
Sounds like a normal modern GWAR set. It's not awful but unless theres some gems in there I'm not gonna be too bummed if I can't make it to the SF date.

Also, Blood Cannon different then Bile Driver?

-EDITED-

AnataFan4Life
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Soo for sure...

A Gathering of Ghouls
Bring Back the Bomb
Ham on the Bone
Salaminizer
Maggots
Sick of You

(almost guaranteed)
Zombies March

(probably)
2-3 off BPoH
1-2 off LiS

and that leaves 2 or 3 songs to cover VHA-BH I'm guessing.
Sounds like a normal modern GWAR set. It's not awful but unless theres some gems in there I'm not gonna be too bummed if I can't make it to the SF date.

Also, Blood Cannon different then Bile Driver?

Pretty sure they opened with Zombies March. I also remember them playing Let Us Slay.

Wizzbang11
10-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Ok, thanks!

Are you familiar enough with GWAR's catalog that you'd remember some of these?

I'd venture a guess the set could included Crack in the Egg, Immortal Corruptor, Eight Lock, Womb With a View, Hail Genocide, Lords & Masters, Battlelust, Meat Sandwhich, Knife In Yer Guts(maybe not realistic but I always cross my fingers they will bring back the traditional GWAR style), Saddam A Go Go, Private Pain of Sawborg Destructo (assuming they fought) and maybe Pure as the Arctic Snow.

AnataFan4Life
10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Ok, thanks!

Are you familiar enough with GWAR's catalog that you'd remember some of these?

I'd venture a guess the set could included Crack in the Egg, Immortal Corruptor, Eight Lock, Womb With a View, Hail Genocide, Lords & Masters, Battlelust, Meat Sandwhich, Knife In Yer Guts(maybe not realistic but I always cross my fingers they will bring back the traditional GWAR style), Saddam A Go Go, Private Pain of Sawborg Destructo (assuming they fought) and maybe Pure as the Arctic Snow.

Actually, I do also remember them playing Crack in the Egg (that opening riff kinda sticks in your head :tongue:). I also know that they did NOT play Meat Sandwich.

GWAR654
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
how about songs like horror of yig, battlelust, metal metal land, penguin attack, death pod, vlad the impaler, nitro burning funny bong, jagermonster, tick tits and the one song i wish they wold sing the most...fuckin an animal

BloodoftheKings
10-19-2011, 04:04 PM
The top ten Gwar Songs they need to play some time soon:

1. Rock N' Roll Never Felt So Good
2. Glided Lily
3. Whargoul
4. The Road Behind
5. Black and Huge
6. J. Costeau
7. Krak Down
8. Knife in yer' Guts
9. Penguin Attack
10. Sammy

and many others. This set looks pretty lame and I no longer feel bad that i'm gonna miss this show. I kinda expected the set to be basic because they have a new bass player so they were probably just looking to play the usual stuff.

GWAR654
10-19-2011, 04:16 PM
The top ten Gwar Songs they need to play some time soon:

1. Rock N' Roll Never Felt So Good
2. Glided Lily
3. Whargoul
4. The Road Behind
5. Black and Huge
6. J. Costeau
7. Krak Down
8. Knife in yer' Guts
9. Penguin Attack
10. Sammy

and many others

I have seen 1,3,5 and 9 in the last 6 years live lol. Why sammy? That song is so boring. Id rather see Lets Blame The Lightman then sammy lol.

My Top Songs I want to see GWAR Perfrom
(not in order)
1. Knife In Yer Guts
2. Letter from the Scallop Boat
3. First Rule Is
4. I Suck On My Thumb
5. IF I could Be That
6. Sex Cow
7. Blimey
8. Gilded Lilly
9. Je M'Appelle J. C÷usteaŘ
10. Íllie North
11. Sexecutioner
12. Penis I See
13. Slap You Around
14. The New Plague
15. Martyr Dumb
16. Fire in the Loins
17. Dirty, Filthy
18. The Performer
19. Child
20. Friend
21. Nitro-Burnin' Funny Bong
22. The Wheel
23. Fucking An Animal
24. The Bonus Plan
25. Tick Tits

Now I have seen GWAR 14 times so maybe a song or 2 in her has been sung and I just dont remember

BloodoftheKings
10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
My Top Songs I want to see GWAR Perfrom
(not in order)
1. Knife In Yer Guts
2. Letter from the Scallop Boat
3. First Rule Is
4. I Suck On My Thumb
5. IF I could Be That
6. Sex Cow
7. Blimey
8. Gilded Lilly
9. Je M'Appelle J. C÷usteaŘ
10. Íllie North
11. Sexecutioner
12. Penis I See
13. Slap You Around
14. The New Plague
15. Martyr Dumb
16. Fire in the Loins
17. Dirty, Filthy
18. The Performer
19. Child
20. Friend
21. Nitro-Burnin' Funny Bong
22. The Wheel
23. Fucking An Animal
24. The Bonus Plan
25. Tick Tits

Most of these are great tunes but not all of them would work. Fire in the Loins and Sexecutioner are sung by past members so we'll never see those. I just can't imagine something like Sex Cow, Fuckin an Animal, or The Performer making their way into the set cause they would be so out of place.

jd091
10-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'm mostly going to see Every Time I Die, since I barely know any of Gwar's stuff. But they're show sounds goddamn amazing!

Question: how close do I need to be to get hit by blood? How much of the crowd gets sprayed?

BloodoftheKings
10-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I'm mostly going to see Every Time I Die, since I barely know any of Gwar's stuff. But they're show sounds goddamn amazing!

Question: how close do I need to be to get hit by blood? How much of the crowd gets sprayed?

Depends on the size of the venue. If you want to get sprayed you will, to not get spewed on you would have to be in the back.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
10-19-2011, 06:20 PM
I've never seen GWAR live, but I do have an interesting question: has anyone been pulled over after a GWAR show? How do you explain all of the blood to the cops?

BloodoftheKings
10-19-2011, 06:42 PM
I've never seen GWAR live, but I do have an interesting question: has anyone been pulled over after a GWAR show? How do you explain all of the blood to the cops?

The blood doesn't look real at all, it's a bright red and very thin. I sat in Penn Station stained red, green, and brown for 3 hours last year and no body said anything.

Wizzbang11
10-19-2011, 09:32 PM

My advice is get a spot as close to the rail as possible, a band or two before GWAR and defend it with your life, and if you do that you will be entirely soaked head to toe, and you will have the time of your life (assuming you like to be drenched in fake blood and semen, I suppose its not for everyone ;) )

I'd say generally the front 1/3 of the crowd will get noticeably quite wet, middle third might get some direct shots but mostly sporadic drops, and the back third will get a drop or two at most. It depends on the venue size and night though.

Probably every 2 or 3 songs there is some sort of projectile prop, but most of them barely hit anyone beyond the first few sets of people (some of the characters/props don't even spew past the stage.) The Cuttlefish, decapitation victims and biledrivers (especially biledrivers) will get the crowd soaked.

GWAR burn off all the unused spew prepared for a show during the last songs, so if you haven't gotten satisfactorily wet try and push your way to the front during the end, that's when you'll get the most wet. And don't worry, spew won't ruin anything. Sadly it won't even stay in shirts through the washing machine.

Dextrimental
10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
GWAR burn off all the unused spew prepared for a show during the last songs, so if you haven't gotten satisfactorily wet try and push your way to the front during the end, that's when you'll get the most wet. And don't worry, spew won't ruin anything. Sadly it won't even stay in shirts through the washing machine.

Gwar are playing here in January, and the promoter was saying all their stuff is water based and they have everything very well organized on stage. None of it stains anything, so I would just be weary of any phones of iPods or whatever. I can't wait to see them, specially since the venue is around the 600 mark for here, so it should be out and out chaos!

jd091
10-19-2011, 10:18 PM
(spray advice)

Thanks, man! Super helpful. Sounds amazing. A little worried about slipping and falling in the mosh, though. :lol:

Gwar are playing here in January, and the promoter was saying all their stuff is water based and they have everything very well organized on stage. None of it stains anything, so I would just be weary of any phones of iPods or whatever. I can't wait to see them, specially since the venue is around the 600 mark for here, so it should be out and out chaos!

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm worried for my iPhone; will it be safe in my pocket? :eyes: Should I put it in a ziplock bag or something?

Epidemic Reign
10-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. I'm worried for my iPhone; will it be safe in my pocket? :eyes: Should I put it in a ziplock bag or something?

Your phone should be just fine if it's in your pocket, but a ziploc bag isn't a terrible idea, even if it's just for peace of mind. Better safe than sorry.

Dextrimental
10-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Your phone should be just fine if it's in your pocket, but a ziploc bag isn't a terrible idea, even if it's just for peace of mind. Better safe than sorry.

This.

Lady-friends bag could also be a good option, should it be available ;)

jd091
10-19-2011, 10:40 PM
This.

No way in hell I'm getting her to come to a Gwar concert. :lol: Guess I'll go with the ziplock.

illuminatus917
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
This.

Or if your lady friend doesn't carry a bag, you could always put it in her vaginal cavity.

Epidemic Reign
10-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Or if your lady friend doesn't carry a bag, you could always put it in her vaginal cavity.

Yeah. Just make sure it's off vibrate or it could still get wet.

BOOM

jd091
10-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah. Just make sure it's off vibrate or it could still get wet.

BOOM

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq4ftlgiT51qmaa4ro1_250.gif

brutal_descent
10-19-2011, 11:06 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq4ftlgiT51qmaa4ro1_250.gif

:lol: Glee macros

Epidemic Reign
10-19-2011, 11:25 PM
:lol: Glee macros

lol is that what that's from?

funny.

Magson13
10-20-2011, 12:26 AM
This show was here tonight. I didn't get to go because I was in class, but my friends said one of the slaves collapsed on stage tonight. Threw his costume off then just fell straight forward, and had to be carried offstage....

Epidemic Reign
10-20-2011, 12:30 AM
This show was here tonight. I didn't get to go because I was in class, but my friends said one of the slaves collapsed on stage tonight. Threw his costume off then just fell straight forward, and had to be carried offstage....

RU4REALZ or just trolling again? Cause that would be kinda funny...

MPF
10-20-2011, 12:40 AM

In speaking of guys stripping, this is what you like right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fndeDfaWCg&ob=av2e

Magson13
10-20-2011, 02:18 AM
RU4REALZ or just trolling again? Cause that would be kinda funny...

No, not trolling. The guy was probably overheated or something.

BloodoftheKings
10-20-2011, 05:11 AM
No, not trolling. The guy was probably overheated or something.

Thats strange cause the slaves barely wear any clothes.

Drudkh77
10-20-2011, 06:58 AM
I've seen Gwar once (in Charlotte) and when I got home and took out my contacts they were nice and pink :D I ditched them for some new ones, but I don't remember them bothering me...just saying you might ruin your contacts if you wear them :hecho:

BloodoftheKings
10-20-2011, 07:02 AM
I've seen Gwar once (in Charlotte) and when I got home and took out my contacts they were nice and pink :D I ditched them for some new ones, but I don't remember them bothering me...just saying you might ruin your contacts if you wear them :hecho:

I wear contacts to Gwar shows but that doesn't happen to me, probably because I close my eyes when water is about to be sprayed in them.

Drudkh77
10-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I wear contacts to Gwar shows but that doesn't happen to me, probably because I close my eyes when water is about to be sprayed in them.

I guess goggles might work too if you don't want to close your eyes and miss something :cool:

Magson13
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Thats strange cause the slaves barely wear any clothes.

True. Although it is possible to overheat wearing nothing, not always a result of clothing ;)

MPF
10-20-2011, 05:04 PM
True. Although it is possible to overheat wearing nothing, not always a result of clothing ;)

Oh right this was more your style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLZqDXau98

BloodoftheKings
10-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Looked up the most recent live footage on youtube and found videos of them playing KZ Necromancer, Immortal Corrupter, Jagermonsta which appears to be the only gem they're pulling out on this tour.

jd091
10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
They brought out their usual celebrity to kill, though I couldn't identify who it was (if anyone can, i'll go back and edit this), but she was pregnant, and in GWAR fashion, they tied her down to a table and gave her a GWAR-style abortion.

Hey, I just learned that Beyonce is pregnant. Perchance this is who they killed?

AnataFan4Life
10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Hey, I just learned that Beyonce is pregnant. Perchance this is who they killed?

It wasn't Beyonce. My friend said it was one of the girls from Jersey Shore, but i'm not 100 percent certain.

BloodoftheKings
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
It wasn't Beyonce. My friend said it was one of the girls from Jersey Shore, but i'm not 100 percent certain.

I just looked it up, they kill snooki during Crack in the Egg. She's not supposed to be pregnant, just very fat. And this performance is fucked up, Oderus doesn't even sing half the song.

Wizzbang11
10-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Based pm youtube footage it appears Skullex is back (that's odd, I don't think he's been there since the pre-War Party release tour), Bonesnapper is still acting as Oderus's sidekick, they actually brought back the Jagermonsta itself which is an awesome surprise, they've got some sort of Nazi doctor as KZ Necromancer which tosses buckets of spew (fuck yeah) and the new World Maggot looks pretty badass and appears to be larger than the original. Also someone on setlist.fm (not the most credible source, I know) claims they played Bonesnapper which I kinda doubt, but if they did, that rules. Certainly one of the best tracks off WP.
I definitely have more interest in this tour now.

BloodoftheKings
10-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Also someone on setlist.fm (not the most credible source, I know) claims they played Bonesnapper which I kinda doubt, but if they did, that rules. Certainly one of the best tracks off WP.
I definitely have more interest in this tour now.

If they actually played Bonesnapper then i'm slightly upset i'm not going. That is not just the best song on War Party but probably the best song Gwar has written in the past 10 years.

Wizzbang11
10-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Zombies, March!
Let Us Slay
A Gathering of Ghouls
Eighth Lock
Jagermonsta
Bring Back the Bomb
Crack in the Egg
Immortal Corruptor
KZ Necromancer
Ham on the Bone
The Salaminizer
Maggots
----
Sick of You

That looks like the closest to being it so far. I suppose that could be the whole thing, but I don't think GWAR have done a 13 song headlining set in the last decade (if ever) so I'm suspecting there are a few that have not been accounted for.

TEDIUM88
10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
So I found this online, a couple more songs, slightly rearranged, and no "A Gathering of Ghouls"

Zombies, March!
Jagermonsta
Eighth Lock
Crack in the Egg
Bring Back the Bomb
Immortal Corrupter
Hail, Genocide!
KZ Necromancer
Metal Metal Land
Let Us Slay
Damnation Under God
The UberKlaw
Ham on the Bone
The Salaminizer
-----
Maggots
Sick of You

Source: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gwar/2011/house-of-blues-cleveland-oh-63d1bec3.html

Wizzbang11
10-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Setlist.fm is rarely accurate, I have no idea why but people have a tendency to post complete bullshit on there.
GWAR aren't known for mixing up setlists, and other than dropping a song or two I don't think they have in quite some time. My guess is that setlist contains most of the correct songs but the order is probably a bit messed up. Can't imagine bringing out der Jagermonsta two songs in either. I'm thinking Gathering of Ghouls is still there, and I don't think they'd play Uberklaw since they seem to have avoided that on the more LiS themed tours and that would put the number of LiS songs more than BPoH, but who knows, maybe they did.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
They only killed one celebrity? For some reason I thought they've been doing two or three per show as of the last couple of years.

Wizzbang11
10-25-2011, 02:56 PM
They only killed one celebrity? For some reason I thought they've been doing two or three per show as of the last couple of years.

Only one celebrity but sounds like 5 or 6 other enemies/spewing things, which is about normal.

BloodoftheKings
10-25-2011, 03:15 PM
I don't think they'd play Uberklaw since they seem to have avoided that on the more LiS themed tours and that would put the number of LiS songs more than BPoH, but who knows, maybe they did.

They did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkcS8q0sMfY

BloodoftheKings
10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
So I found this online, a couple more songs, slightly rearranged, and no "A Gathering of Ghouls"

Zombies, March!
Jagermonsta
Eighth Lock
Crack in the Egg
Bring Back the Bomb
Immortal Corrupter
Hail, Genocide!
KZ Necromancer
Metal Metal Land
Let Us Slay
Damnation Under God
The UberKlaw
Ham on the Bone
The Salaminizer
-----
Maggots
Sick of You

Source: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gwar/2011/house-of-blues-cleveland-oh-63d1bec3.html

This set isn't accurate, I found a video from this show where they were playing Storm is Coming.

Wizzbang11
10-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Uberklaw is an odd inclusion.
Well, if that's right, I doubt the rest of the set is horribly off since it lines up with everything else.
Maybe they rotate Gathering with Storm?