PDA

View Full Version : Saxon -- Montreal, Quebec -- October 10th, 2011

sarsip
10-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I missed Heroik. Borealis wasn't my bag. However, the hairdos and the drinking tube on the mic stand were pretty funny.

Saxon did the same set as Detroit. However, there were two substitutions. They played Hell and Back Again instead of This Town Rocks and Play It Loud instead of And The Bands Played On.

The show was really great! Saxon hasn't played Montreal since 1987. Biff said they would return sooner than 24 years for the next show. I'll hold him to it! The new songs are really good. I am certainly going to buy the new record!!

:party:

Maiden33
10-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I missed Heroik. Borealis wasn't my bag. However, the hairdos and the drinking tube on the mic stand were pretty funny.

Saxon did the same set as Detroit. However, there were two substitutions. They played Hell and Back Again instead of This Town Rocks and Play It Loud instead of And The Bands Played On.

The show was really great! Saxon hasn't played Montreal since 1987. Biff said they would return sooner than 24 years for the next show. I'll hold him to it! The new songs are really good. I am certainly going to buy the new record!!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this happen in Baltimore!

Also, it depresses me that no one can even manage a Borealis setlist.

sarsip
10-11-2011, 04:13 AM
I think the interest in them has been low. Besides the fact they are an odd fit with Saxon, it seems they haven't piqued anyone's interest. I left the venue briefly before their last song.

Spiner202
10-11-2011, 05:29 AM

This goddammit! I did find videos of them playing Fall From Grace and Where We Started, but I haven't seen anything else. It'll probably be up after tonight, since they are playing Toronto tonight and they have a ton of fans here.

ravenheart
10-11-2011, 05:43 AM

I'd probably manage one if they were playing here. But to be honest, their new one is a pretty average album, so I'm not surprised people aren't paying much attention.

tenchimyo
10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
how was the SAXON merch? any CDs? any decent shirts?

sarsip
10-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Three different two sided T-shirts- $30. I bought the Heavy Metal Thunder Canada shirt!!

Wallet- $20 The wallet is a $3 crappy velcro special. Rip off. No CDs.

I told my cohort that some of the older bands usually have crappy merch. Bad T-shirt designs and nothing else interesting.

metaleloi666
10-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Three different two sided T-shirts- $30. I bought the Heavy Metal Thunder Canada shirt!!

I bought it too. I find it very nice to see a band like Saxon, with only 2 shows in Canada on this tour, making a special t-shirt for Canada (which is the cover of the 2002 HM Thunder disc, but with the Canadian flag).

metaleloi666
10-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Heroik were not bad, quite standard power metal, with competent playing. However, the singer, which has a good voice, should practice his interaction with the crowd cause he sounded quite amateur, didn't seem to know what to say between the songs.

Borealis were very good. They only played around 30 minutes, which means about 6 songs. Too bad for them, the sound was far to be excellent...
As far as I remember, they played these songs, all from the new CD: Finest Hour (show opener), Regeneration, Forgotten Forever, Where We Started, Breaking The Curse, Also, Words I Failed To Say or Fall From Grace were in the set I think.

The Detroit setlist from setlist.fm shows that Saxon played Surviving Against The Odds. If it's true, that song was surely not played in Montreal yesterday.

The Saxon guys gave a great performance in front of a very noisy crowd of about 350-400 I'd say. They often had a big smile in their faces, so they must have appreciated, even though the stage at the Foufounes is really cramped (Biff said: Oh, it's a very small stage!!), no room at all to have the big Saxon flag as background, which was too bad.

Good setlist, but I'd have liked to get Batallions Of Steel like some other cities got.

But getting Saxon to play in the province of Quebec after 24 years was just so great that I can't complain. I spoke to a lot of fans who were very happy to finally see Saxon live for the 1st time. And the band did not disappoint.

sarsip
10-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Last time I saw it was 1987 in Boston, MA with W.A.S.P. and Raven.

Slasherous
10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
The Detroit setlist from setlist.fm shows that Saxon played Surviving Against The Odds. If it's true, that song was surely not played in Montreal yesterday.

The detroit setlist (which was posted on here first, than the people on setlist fm took it) definately had Surviving Against The Odds, because they dedicated it to all the openers that night.

metaleloi666
10-12-2011, 05:01 AM
The detroit setlist (which was posted on here first, than the people on setlist fm took it) definately had Surviving Against The Odds, because they dedicated it to all the openers that night.

Too bad we didn't have it in Montreal then, cause I love the song.

rocker_mama
10-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I was at the Toronto show and Borealis Rocked the House as did Saxon. Toronto fans are awesome and Borealis had a ton of fans there. Saxon put on a wonderful show as always and the audience was great for both. I will still argue the water bottle thing as he virtually has no time to pick up a bottle between singing and the guitar solos. Personally think it is a great idea and keeps the show moving smoothly. :)

rocker_mama
10-14-2011, 04:16 AM
Disagree with the Borealis comments big time. Have you not read any of their reviews? Their new cd is getting rave reviews. I have seen them a few times and they are great!. I have been to a few on this tour and the crowd is loving them so not sure where all this negativity is coming from. The setlist for both Borealis and Saxon change depending on the amount of time and they both change them up some. Saxon also change their setlist. Enjoyed both bands here and saw crowds do the same at the venues I was at. Music is subject to personal taste so understand if it is not your thing, but the talent there, you cannot deny.:) Happy Fan of both !!!!!! I also have seen Heroick before and am a big fan of theirs as well.