PDA

View Full Version : Daimonos's Top 25 Doom/Stoner/Sludge Albums

daimonos
10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Over the past two or so years, doom metal has grown to be my favorite genre of extreme music. Black Sabbath was the first band I started listening to back when I was eight years old, so it was only natural for me to revert back to my roots. Since I started getting into the genre, I've constantly been looking for new bands to get into, and now I feel like I am somewhat qualified to share my views on how I would rank some of my favorite albums by 25 different doom bands.

To me, Doom Metal is a pretty broad term. In my opinion, sludge and stoner metal are subgenres of Doom, along with traditional doom, funeral doom, death/doom, all that kind of stuff. This list will contain a little bit of variety, as I'm limiting the entries to only one album per band. You might consider some of these choices to be 'cliche' or unoriginal, but this is the way I feel. This is just a list of my personal favorites, and I am not stating anything as fact. Doom is something that I am still exploring to this day, so there might be some stuff left out. I'm always looking for new bands to get into. So yeah, this list will probably be different in my eyes a couple months from now, but these are my opinions at the moment. I hope I can help some people get into one of my favorite genres!

hb420
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Looking forward to reading what will be a great list. ;)

daimonos
10-09-2011, 10:19 PM
http://www.musica320.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/ompilgrimage.jpg

25. Om - Pilgrimage
Stoner/Doom Metal

1. Pilgrimage
2. Unitive Knowledge of the Godhead
3. Bhima's Theme
4. Pilgrimage (Reprise)

Many of you probably know the band Sleep, and if you don't, then you really need to pay attention to this thread. Om was formed by the 2/3rd's of Sleep who didn't form High on Fire, aka Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius. You might be asking who they got to play guitar for their band, and you might be surprised at the answer. Nobody. Om is (was) just those two musicians, a bassist and a drummer. It's kind of difficult to describe Om's sound. The bass riffs can be trance inducing, and very peaceful, with tribal drumming and soft vocals, but at times, the volume will get turned up to 11 and all madness will ensue. This is proof that the bass guitar is an extremely powerful weapon, if used correctly. Even though this is the lowest number on the list, it is by no means a bad album. I encourage all fans of Sleep, as well as everyone else to check these guys out, right now.

Highlights:
The whole thing, it flows really well.

daimonos
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ixQcN4291QI/TBAs4_dPhoI/AAAAAAAAAb8/l7ltCMn6_eg/s1600/B0001O3VME.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

24. Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt
Death/Doom Metal

1. Norge
2. Troll
3. Dommedagsnatt
4. Mellom Galgene (Live)

Here's one that most of you are probably unfamiliar with, and that's a damned shame. The reasons for that can be summed up in the following names: Greg Anderson, Stephen O'Malley, and Guy Pinhas. Many of you will recognize the first two names as the members of Sunn O))), and most of you are probably aware that Greg Anderson is the founder of Southern Lord Records, which is probably the most awesome metal record label there is. You might also recognize Guy Pinhas from Goatsnake, The Obsessed, and Burning Witch. Basically, it needs to be understood that this is the first project of Anderson and O'Malley, who both helped shape the doom world. I haven't yet mentioned the most important piece of the band though, 17 year old female Norwegian exchange student (who I've heard was dating Ihsahn at the time), Runhild Gammelsaeter, who was the bands vocalist. She is by far the most ungodly female metal vocalist I have ever heard. She growls deeper than most men do, and has a beautiful clean voice. The four songs on this EP are crushing slabs of death/doom metal done right. This project was short lived, however, as Gammelsaeter had to return to Norway, after which most of the band went on to form Burning Witch.

Highlights:
Once again, there are too few songs to pick highlights, just listen to the whole thing!

hb420
10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ixQcN4291QI/TBAs4_dPhoI/AAAAAAAAAb8/l7ltCMn6_eg/s1600/B0001O3VME.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

24. Thorr's Hammer - Dommedagsnatt
Death/Doom Metal

1. Norge
2. Troll
3. Dommedagsnatt
4. Mellom Galgene (Live)

Here's one that most of you are probably unfamiliar with, and that's a damned shame. The reasons for that can be summed up in the following names: Greg Anderson, Stephen O'Malley, and Guy Pinhas. Many of you will recognize the first two names as the members of Sunn O))), and most of you are probably aware that Greg Anderson is the founder of Southern Lord Records, which is probably the most awesome metal record label there is. You might also recognize Guy Pinhas from Goatsnake, The Obsessed, and Burning Witch. Basically, it needs to be understood that this is the first project of Anderson and O'Malley, who both helped shape the doom world. I haven't yet mentioned the most important piece of the band though, 17 year old female Norwegian exchange student (who I've heard was dating Ihsahn at the time), Runhild Gammelsaeter, who was the bands vocalist. She is by far the most ungodly female metal vocalist I have ever heard. She growls deeper than most men do, and has a beautiful clean voice. The four songs on this EP are crushing slabs of death/doom metal done right. This project was short lived, however, as Gammelsaeter had to return to Norway, after which most of the band went on to form Burning Witch.

Highlights:
Once again, there are too few songs to pick highlights, just listen to the whole thing!

:party:
Nice pick, this is a great EP.

daimonos
10-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Might as well post one more tonight, since I already have it typed up...

http://thesodashop.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/sahg-2008-sahg-ii.jpg

23. Sahg - Sahg II
Stoner/Doom Metal

1. Ascent to Decadence
2. Echoes Ring Forever
3. From Conscious Sleep
4. Star-Crossed
5. Escape the Crimson Sun
6. Pyromancer
7. Wicked Temptress
8. By the Toll of the Bell
9. Monomania

Sahg are a stoner band from Norway. Many of you may be familiar with their bassist, King ov Hell, who previously played with the band Gorgoroth. This album showcases a pretty good mix of doom, stoner rock, and just plain rock and roll. They've got some pretty groovy riffs, as well as some pretty heavy ones. Vocalist Thomas Tofthagen has got a pretty good range, and has some vocals lines that can be mesmerizing while soaring over the many great riffs on the album. Closer Monomania is a 10 minute psychedelic journey that builds as the song goes on. Recommended for all metal fans, it's got a pretty classic vibe about it.

Highlights:
Ascent to Decadence
Echoes Ring Forever
Star-Crossed
Wicked Temptress
Monomania

mankvill
10-09-2011, 11:42 PM
OM IS SO GOOD

larvtard
10-09-2011, 11:56 PM
you should post youtube links

daimonos
10-09-2011, 11:59 PM
you should post youtube links

Lazy motherfuckers...

Maybe on the next post...

El Gordo
10-10-2011, 06:23 AM
I used to have some Om tracks on my comp but I don't know what the hell happened to them! Great list so far, never heard Thorr's Hammer, will have to check it out.

jhdeity
10-10-2011, 11:04 AM

25. Om - Pilgrimage
Stoner/Doom Metal

1. Pilgrimage
3. Bhima's Theme
4. Pilgrimage (Reprise)

Many of you probably know the band Sleep, and if you don't, then you really need to pay attention to this thread. Om was formed by the 2/3rd's of Sleep who didn't form High on Fire, aka Al Cisneros and Chris Hakius. You might be asking who they got to play guitar for their band, and you might be surprised at the answer. Nobody. Om is (was) just those two musicians, a bassist and a drummer. It's kind of difficult to describe Om's sound. The bass riffs can be trance inducing, and very peaceful, with tribal drumming and soft vocals, but at times, the volume will get turned up to 11 and all madness will ensue. This is proof that the bass guitar is an extremely powerful weapon, if used correctly. Even though this is the lowest number on the list, it is by no means a bad album. I encourage all fans of Sleep, as well as everyone else to check these guys out, right now.

Highlights:

WOW! Would have never picked this up based on the cover art and song titles but I really dig it. Checking out their other stuff now. Had no idea what happened to the other guys from Sleep. Thanks for the heads up.

daimonos
10-10-2011, 01:52 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61-q5pltVkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

22. High on Fire - Death Is This Communion
Stoner/Sludge Metal

1. Fury Whip
2. Waste of Tiamat
3. Death is This Communion
4. Khanrad's Wall
5. Turk
6. Headhunter
7. Rumors of War
8. DII
9. Cyclopian Scape
10. Ethereal
11. Return to NOD

Some of you may consider this a rather unconventional choice, and I agree. I wasn't quite sure if this would fit in with my list or not, but I cannot deny this albums power. High on Fire is a difficult band to categorize, they really do have their own unique sound. All their albums are great, but this is my personal favorite, followed by Surrounded by Thieves. I bought this album in 2008, not long after it was released, when I was a freshman in high school, and it really helped shape my tastes and was one of the first 'extreme' albums I bought. This album is just another example of High on Fire doing what they do best, and that is kicking ass, taking names, and being High on Fire. Former Sleep guitarist Matt Pike commands the barrage of riffs and war drums with his raspy screams and punishing riffs. Towards the end of the album, things get a bit more 'epic' sounding, as well as a bit atmospheric. This album is a journey the whole way through. A journey that will leave you with a sore neck and a bad case of whiplash.

Highlights:
Fury Whip
Waste of Tiamat
Turk
Rumors of War
Ethereal
Hell, once again, the whole damn thing, really

larvtard
10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
unconventional choice my ass :lol: That's the best HOF album by far.

But yeah, not their most popular one, so I see why you said it was an unconventional choice.

moobys37
10-11-2011, 01:27 PM

25. Om - Pilgrimage
Stoner/Doom Metal

1. Pilgrimage
3. Bhima's Theme
4. Pilgrimage (Reprise)

Highlights:

I fucking love OM. I think I'm one of the only people on Earth that wouldn't call them a doom band. I can easily see why someone would call them that and couldn't disagree, but to me, OM is much more than that. Also, new record in 2012, so no need for the was there :D.

daimonos
10-11-2011, 01:33 PM
unconventional choice my ass :lol: That's the best HOF album by far.

But yeah, not their most popular one, so I see why you said it was an unconventional choice.

I meant it's unconventional for this list because it's hard to put a tag on High on Fire's genre. But yeah, it's my personal favorite from them.

mankvill
10-11-2011, 01:46 PM
That's the best HOF album by far.

:nonono:

Good album, but I'd probably rank it below all their other albums.

daimonos
10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
:nonono:

Good album, but I'd probably rank it below all their other albums.

I've noticed that alot of people don't think too highly of it. But like I said, it was an important album for me in my career as a metalhead, so that's probably why I like it more than the others. Surrounded by Thieves is great though, as well as Snakes for the Divine and Blessed Black Wings. I never have heard their debut, though.

hb420
10-11-2011, 01:58 PM
I've noticed that alot of people don't think too highly of it. But like I said, it was an important album for me in my career as a metalhead, so that's probably why I like it more than the others. Surrounded by Thieves is great though, as well as Snakes for the Divine and Blessed Black Wings. I never have heard their debut, though.

Their debut is one of my favorite cds of all time! I really struggled with not putting it on my top ten. Its a way more Sleep-ish HoF. You should hear that as soon as you get a chance.

christopher
10-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Their debut is one of my favorite cds of all time! I really struggled with not putting it on my top ten. Its a way more Sleep-ish HoF. You should hear that as soon as you get a chance.

The debut was always lowest on the list for me because I couldn't stand the sound quality. Actually it was the same with Surrounded by Thieves.

mankvill
10-11-2011, 02:26 PM
The debut was always lowest on the list for me because I couldn't stand the sound quality. Actually it was the same with Surrounded by Thieves.

That's weird, I love the debut because of its quality!

For me, HoF is ranked:

1. Blessed Black Wings
2. The Art of Self Defense
3. Surrounded By Thieves
4. Snakes For The Divine
5. Death Is This Communion

But they all rule and HoF is one of my favorite bands ever! :shred:

daimonos
10-11-2011, 11:07 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_66P8ussx5-s/SRhNa_wHo0I/AAAAAAAAGxU/6U7vrtm0w_I/s400/Witchfinder_General_-_Death_Penalty_-_Front.jpg

21. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Traditional Doom/NWOBHM

1. Invisible Hate
2. Free Country
3. Death Penalty
4. No Stayer
5. Witchfinder General
6. Burning A Sinner
7. R.I.P.

Witchfinder General arrived in the early 80's with Sabbath influenced Traditional Doom Metal that laid the groundwork for the rest of the genre, along with Saint Vitus, Trouble, Pentagram, ect. They were from England, and played Sabbath influenced hard rock, with a heavy touch. Although some of it can get pretty cheesy, especially the lyrics, and the vocals on some songs, it actually ends up being beneficial. Don't ask me why. This is indeed a classic of the genre. With lyrics about sex, drugs, and burning witches, the Osbourne like vocals wail over one slamming groove after another. Good album to rock out to.

Highlights:
Free Country
Death Penalty
Witchfinder General

mankvill
10-11-2011, 11:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_66P8ussx5-s/SRhNa_wHo0I/AAAAAAAAGxU/6U7vrtm0w_I/s400/Witchfinder_General_-_Death_Penalty_-_Front.jpg

21. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Traditional Doom/NWOBHM

1. Invisible Hate
2. Free Country
3. Death Penalty
4. No Stayer
5. Witchfinder General
6. Burning A Sinner
7. R.I.P.

Witchfinder General arrived in the early 80's with Sabbath influenced Traditional Doom Metal that laid the groundwork for the rest of the genre, along with Saint Vitus, Trouble, Pentagram, ect. They were from England, and played Sabbath influenced hard rock, with a heavy touch. Although some of it can get pretty cheesy, especially the lyrics, and the vocals on some songs, it actually ends up being beneficial. Don't ask me why. This is indeed a classic of the genre. With lyrics about sex, drugs, and burning witches, the Osbourne like vocals wail over one slamming groove after another. Good album to rock out to.

Highlights:
Free Country
Death Penalty
Witchfinder General

This album is FUCKING amazing. Seriously. Out of all albums I'd consider "traditional doom", this album is heads and shoulders above the rest. Classic shit and insanely catchy.

GIMME BEE-YUH

jd091
10-11-2011, 11:28 PM
This thread. I approve.

:stoned: :stoned: :stoned: :stoned:

daimonos
10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
GIMME BEE-YUH

:fist:

LOOK OUT FOR ME
LETS TRIP ON LSD

daimonos
10-12-2011, 05:13 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IWqfvyO_nw8/Set0yKG4pKI/AAAAAAAAI1w/0cL1h4q4gAM/s400/Cathedral---The-Ethereal-Mirror---Front.jpg

20. Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
Doom Metal

1. Violet Vortex
2. Ride
3. Enter the Worms
4. Midnight Mountain
5. Fountain of Innocence
6. Grim Luxuria
7. Jaded Entity
8. Ashes You Leave
9. Phantasmagoria
10. Imprisoned in Flesh

Here's one from one of the more widely respected Doom bands, Cathedral. The Ethereal Mirror is the bands second album, taking influences from Sabbath, and other traditional doom bands such as Witchfinder General and Pentagram. This album sees the band shedding the death metal influences that debut Forest of Equilibrium contained, and heading for a straight rock'n'roll doom sound. There's not much to say about this album, other than it's awesome and it showcases Cathedral doing what they do best: laying down one tasty riff after another. Cathedral knows how to make Doom fun.

Highlights:
Ride
Midnight Mountain
Grim Luxuria
Ashes You Leave

jd091
10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
That's the second album cover in a row that I've seen some noice nips! :dance:

daimonos
10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GLQtTrnWqHo/SaeTAxOKVII/AAAAAAAAAI8/yxPNtr4tBKI/s400/burning+witch+crippled+lucifer.jpg

19. Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer
Sludge/Drone/Doom Metal

Disc 1: Towers... (1998)
1. Sacred Predictions
2. Country Doctor
3. Tower Place
4. Sea Hag
5. The Bleeder

Disc 2: Rift.Canyon.Dreams. (1998)
1. Warning Signs
2. Stillborn
3. History of Hell (Crippled Lucifer)
4. Communion
5. Rift.Canyon.Dreams.

Burning Witch is the band that Sunn O))) masterminds Greg Anderson and Stephen O'Malley formed after the demise of Thorr's Hammer. Crippled Lucifer is a combination of the two EP's that the band released, Towers... and Rift.Canyon.Dreams. There's nothing on this album that isn't slow and heavy. The guitars are crushing and droning for decent lengths of time with Edgy 59's tortured, drugged-out vocals wailing over top. His scream is disgusting, and his clean vocals are eerie. This one may take a little bit of time to get into, but once it clicks, it's a very rewarding album. I don't think the band lasted much longer after these two EP's were originally released as the Crippled Lucifer album in 1998. The version here is a Southern Lord rerelease with the EP's separated and a two bonus tracks.

Highlights:
History of Hell (Crippled Lucifer) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuKX1Bu83T8)
Warning Signs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WozEWDwSjm8&feature=related)
Sacred Predictions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcNJToCIl4)
Rift.Cayon.Dreams. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXwieM5XqNo)

illuminatus917
10-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Daimones have you heard KYPCK's new album?

daimonos
10-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Daimones have you heard KYPCK's new album?

No sir, never heard of them until they were brought up in the What Are You Doing thread the other day.

illuminatus917
10-13-2011, 10:44 PM
No sir, never heard of them until they were brought up in the What Are You Doing thread the other day.

Ah. If you listen to their album I'd like your thoughts.

daimonos
10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Ah. If you listen to their album I'd like your thoughts.

I'll check em out. I'm not too good when it comes to reviewing stuff, though, as you can see by reading any entry in this thread so far :lol:

But yeah, I'll let you know what I think.

illuminatus917
10-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I'll check em out. I'm not too good when it comes to reviewing stuff, though, as you can see by reading any entry in this thread so far :lol:

But yeah, I'll let you know what I think.

I don't mind your review style here at all. Short, simple, informative, factual, historical descriptions. The ostentatious-type reviews can get old real quick.

illuminatus917
11-05-2011, 03:54 PM
So are you going to finish this or what?

daimonos
11-05-2011, 04:16 PM
So are you going to finish this or what?

I will. My apologies, I went out of town one weekend and forgot to start it back up. I'll get a couple done before the weekends up.

BlackDiamond
11-13-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm really hoping to see this list finished. I'm a big fan of this genre and always looking to find other people's take on it and also finding new bands I never heard of.

daimonos
11-13-2011, 06:01 PM
The pressure is on.

hb420
11-30-2011, 02:33 AM
The pressure is on.

You must not let this die! I need to find out the rest of the awesomeness, that is on this list.

daimonos
11-30-2011, 04:03 PM
http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bongzillacover1.jpg

18. Bongzilla - Gateway
Stoner Metal

1. Green Thumb
2. Stone a Pig
3. Sunnshine Green
4. 666lb Bongsession
5. Trinity (Gigglebush)
6. Gateway
7. Keefmaster
8. Hashdealer

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been around as much lately, but I figured I'd get this thing going again (for a little while, at least). We'll continue onward with a band known as Bongzilla. The band is extremely groovy and heavy, and vocalist Muleboy screams violently above the weed laced riffage. It might be kind of obvious, but the main theme of this album is marijuana, of course.

Highlights:
Gateway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVJ_jwNMZKQ)
666 lb. Bongsession (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xftx2MUT87A)
Sunnshine Green (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya00Tzqzcyk)

hb420
11-30-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=bongzilla+gateway&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1348&bih=668&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=BhXlLuNCLNgtoM:&imgrefurl=http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2010/11/12/sludgewts/&docid=yXuhNAdrXYozrM&imgurl=http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bongzillacover1.jpg&w=500&h=500&ei=WsHWTv36K6ai2gWTxYRP&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=637&vpy=173&dur=399&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=157&ty=72&sig=102347551019139551092&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=141&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0

18. Bongzilla - Gateway
Stoner Metal

1. Green Thumb
2. Stone a Pig
3. Sunnshine Green
4. 666lb Bongsession
5. Trinity (Gigglebush)
6. Gateway
7. Keefmaster
8. Hashdealer

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been around as much lately, but I figured I'd get this thing going again (for a little while, at least). We'll continue onward with a band known as Bongzilla. The band is extremely groovy and heavy, and vocalist Muleboy screams violently above the weed laced riffage. It might be kind of obvious, but the main theme of this album is marijuana, of course.

Highlights:
Gateway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVJ_jwNMZKQ)
666 lb. Bongsession (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xftx2MUT87A)
Sunnshine Green (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya00Tzqzcyk)

:party::party:
What an awesome album to get it started again. Easily my favorite album by Bonzilla.

Sepultura69
12-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Dude I hope you finish this awesome fucking thread when you get the chance. Thanks for getting me into all sorts of bands. Never heard of Bongzilla up until I checked this thread out a few weeks ago. Fucking great stuff man, lovin' the shit out of it, hope you find some time before the year ends to post up another album or two. :hmm:

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

llama lom
12-11-2011, 11:37 PM
PLEASE bring this thread back! I need more doom and stoner!

treghet
12-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I highly doubt he will finish the list because every time he tries to he ends up smoking way too much and forgetting to actually write the reviews. It's a vicious cycle.

larvtard
12-12-2011, 06:32 AM
I highly doubt he will finish the list because every time he tries to he ends up smoking way too much and forgetting to actually write the reviews. It's a vicious cycle.

Don't forget blacking out.

ravenheart
12-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Why is it I don't agree with most of these so far? This should be easily the most acceptable list on this site to me... weird.

daimonos
12-12-2011, 11:39 AM
PLEASE bring this thread back! I need more doom and stoner!

I'll post a few more soon, don't worry!

:lol:

Don't forget blacking out.

I've never, ever heard of anyone blacking out because of marijuana.

Why is it I don't agree with most of these so far? This should be easily the most acceptable list on this site to me... weird.

Because you have very jaded views of what doom is and only appreciate Pagan Altar/Saint Vitus clones?

larvtard
12-12-2011, 11:51 AM
I've never, ever heard of anyone blacking out because of marijuana.

I was talking about alcohol ;)

ravenheart
12-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Because you have very jaded views of what doom is and only appreciate Pagan Altar/Saint Vitus clones?

:lol: Are you new?

daimonos
12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
:lol: Are you new?

Just givin' ya shit for being a drag all the time. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't really like the new 'traditional doom' that's out these days, I'd rather listen to the classic stuff. They just don't grab my attention, I guess. You seem to be more a fan of that kind of style as opposed to alot of the stuff that I really like.

Sepultura69
01-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Ever going to finish this thread? Would like to see the rest get listed :hmm:

Natrlhi
01-19-2012, 06:42 AM
:lol: I think it's oddly appropriate that this thread is taking so long to complete. :stoned:

(...and yeah, I realize that it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, but the reasons are very different, I can assure you ;))

daimonos
01-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Goddamnit. Only because I happen to be online (for once) and I don't think I'm doing anything tonight...

Let me go over my list and see if it's changed any.

treghet
01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Goddamnit. Only because I happen to be online (for once) and I don't think I'm doing anything tonight...

Let me go over my list and see if it's changed any.

Cool, can we expect the post by mid February then? ;)

daimonos
01-20-2012, 07:34 PM
http://image.musicimport.biz/sdimages/disk19/1399425.jpg

17. Reverend Bizarre - II: Crush the Insects
Traditional Doom

1. Doom Over the World
2. The Devil Rides Out
3. Cromwell
4. Slave of Satan
5. Council of Ten
6. By This Axe I Rule!
7. Eternal Forest
8. Fucking Wizard

Reverend Bizarre is definitely not for everybody. Getting into them can be a challenge, but it's well worth it. Basically, they took the fundamentals of traditional doom laid down by bands like Sabbath, Pentagram, Pagan Altar, Black Sabbath, ect. and made it twice as heavy and three times as slow. The Reverend is all about long, drawn out, emotional songs, and are without a doubt one of the greatest newer traditional doom bands. Unfortunately they broke up after releasing three albums and tons of splits and EPs.

Doom Over the World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0dIdeXcEY)
Cromwell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zd8XWctW6Q)
By This Axe I Rule! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD8YiQwjvO4)

daimonos
01-20-2012, 07:44 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KmhUYW0wBQw/TEU4vyezY6I/AAAAAAAAAAc/g3GSbT8Jbh4/s1600/folder.jpg

16. Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance
Stoner Metal

In my opinion, this is one of the finest albums ever made. It's more of a rock album than anything, but the stoner elements are definitely there. The bands former hardcore punk sounds are present throughout the album as well. Pepper Keenan's sludgy grooves and soulful vocals take this album all over the place. Albatross, Clean My Wounds, Seven Days, and Deliverance are drinking anthems. CoC is a weird band, who's experimented with many different styles over the years, and never really put anything out that's that bad, but in my opinion this is their best work.

1. Heaven's Not Overflowing
2. Albatross
3. Clean My Wounds
4. Without Wings
5. Senor Limpio
6. Broken Man
7. Mana de Mono
8. Seven Days
10. My Grain
11. Deliverance
12. Shake Like You
13. Shelter
14. Pearls Before Swine

Albatross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPicUnsPPg&ob=av3e)
Seven Days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxVBUWadFkg)
Deliverance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azL4go6a_NI&feature=related)

brutal_descent
01-21-2012, 12:58 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KmhUYW0wBQw/TEU4vyezY6I/AAAAAAAAAAc/g3GSbT8Jbh4/s1600/folder.jpg

16. Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance
Stoner Metal

In my opinion, this is one of the finest albums ever made. It's more of a rock album than anything, but the stoner elements are definitely there. The bands former hardcore punk sounds are present throughout the album as well. Pepper Keenan's sludgy grooves and soulful vocals take this album all over the place. Albatross, Clean My Wounds, Seven Days, and Deliverance are drinking anthems. CoC is a weird band, who's experimented with many different styles over the years, and never really put anything out that's that bad, but in my opinion this is their best work.

1. Heaven's Not Overflowing
2. Albatross
3. Clean My Wounds
4. Without Wings
5. Senor Limpio
6. Broken Man
7. Mana de Mono
8. Seven Days
10. My Grain
11. Deliverance
12. Shake Like You
13. Shelter
14. Pearls Before Swine

Albatross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKPicUnsPPg&ob=av3e)
Seven Days (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxVBUWadFkg)
Deliverance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azL4go6a_NI&feature=related)

One of my favorite albums of all time :drool:

Sepultura69
01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
MORE
:stoned::stoned: :stoned::stoned: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

hb420
01-21-2012, 03:25 PM

Traditional Doom

1. Doom Over the World
2. The Devil Rides Out
3. Cromwell
4. Slave of Satan
5. Council of Ten
6. By This Axe I Rule!
7. Eternal Forest
8. Fucking Wizard

Reverend Bizarre is definitely not for everybody. Getting into them can be a challenge, but it's well worth it. Basically, they took the fundamentals of traditional doom laid down by bands like Sabbath, Pentagram, Pagan Altar, Black Sabbath, ect. and made it twice as heavy and three times as slow. The Reverend is all about long, drawn out, emotional songs, and are without a doubt one of the greatest newer traditional doom bands. Unfortunately they broke up after releasing three albums and tons of splits and EPs.

:party: awesome cd

ravenheart
01-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Just givin' ya shit for being a drag all the time. :lol:

Seriously though, I don't really like the new 'traditional doom' that's out these days, I'd rather listen to the classic stuff. They just don't grab my attention, I guess. You seem to be more a fan of that kind of style as opposed to alot of the stuff that I really like.

I'm not more of a fan of the new stuff compared to the old stuff, per se. I just keep moving forward, not backward, if you see what I mean. If most people listened to Cathedral, Reverend Bizarre and Candlemass as much as me they'd get bored with them real quick, trust me ;)

ravenheart
01-21-2012, 04:09 PM

Traditional Doom

1. Doom Over the World
2. The Devil Rides Out
3. Cromwell
4. Slave of Satan
5. Council of Ten
6. By This Axe I Rule!
7. Eternal Forest
8. Fucking Wizard

Awesome album, but oddly my favourite Reverend album is the double-CD rarities one :lol:

daimonos
01-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Awesome album, but oddly my favourite Reverend album is the double-CD rarities one :lol:

Reverend Bizarre is a strange band. They're basically hit and miss at the same with everything. You really have to be in the mood to listen to them. I still haven't heard III, but it does seem like alot of their really good material wasn't actually released on their full length albums. For example, the EP "Return to the Rectory" (if you want to call it an EP, it's like an hour long), is also one of my favorites by them.

daimonos
02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
http://www.metal-experience.com/images/interviews/Black%20Pyramid/cover.jpg

16. Black Pyramid - Black Pyramid
Doom Metal

1. ...And the Gods Made War
2. Visions of Gehenna
3. Mirror Messiah
4. No Life King
5. Celephais
6. Twilight Grave
7. The Worm Ouroborous
8. Cauldron
9. Winter Mute

This is newer, but this is definitely a great album. Black Pyramid is basically traditional doom with a modern twist, taking the original sound and giving it more punch and more technicality. After the intro, Visions of Gehenna starts it off slow, heavy and catchy. Speaking of catchy, Twilight Grave is another highlight. This is well written stuff, and it's also their debut. I just now found out their their second album was just released last week. I need to find get more info on that...

Twilight Grave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfEOec4B_hU)
Mirror Messiah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddl0PO3L6K4)
Visions of Gehenna (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaGm2Q-vQbo&feature=related)

Sepultura69
03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
More please. :hmm:

SCOOBY DOOBY DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

:dance:

jd091
03-12-2012, 12:03 PM
More please. :hmm:

SCOOBY DOOBY DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

:dance:

^

kalfitegrdan
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Just read this...awesome list, man. I've been getting into doom and shit more and more recently, mostly in part to most people on this board loving it, but anyways, this list interests me greatly. Keep it going!

The only two albums that I've heard on this list were the High on Fire one and the Witchfinder General one. I'm very interested in checking out Thorr's Hammer and Sahg and that Cathedral album that I've never heard.

MetalIsArt
04-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Traditional DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM FTW! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

imanidiot777
04-03-2012, 03:38 AM
This list is taking too long! lol

Sepultura69
04-29-2012, 12:12 PM
DOOM BUMP

Nick_to_the_face
05-06-2012, 02:21 PM
:dragon: