View Full Version : Judas Priest -- Detroit MI -- June 4th, 2005

EvilCheeseWedge
06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
TOUR: Judas Priest - Reunited
SUPPORT: Queensryche
VENUE: DTE -- Detroit, MI
DATE: June 4, 2005
REVIEWED: June 5, 2005

Well I'm back early then expected from last night's Priest concert...

We left plenty early for the show and made great time most of the way there. Until we got within about 5 miles of the show and traffic on I-75 ground to a halt. I was unaware of the fact they were moving the three lane road down to one. Needless to say, it took about half an hour to make it the last few miles. We sat down during the second half of "NM 156" having heard most of "Neue Regel" as we were walking in. I was really disappointed we missed a few songs, but life goes on.

I know I come off as the Queensryche fan boy here, and it's weird that happens. I've been listening to Priest longer then Queensryche, and I honestly don't have a bias to either bands, just check my last year's Ozzfest review for proof of that. But besides that point, I know most people on here have had a very different experience with Queensryche then I have, and I'm not sure why that is.

We saw Queensryche for 50 minutes, and during that time, they put on a fantastic show. No doubt about it. Just song into song, with some friendly banter in between. The crowd was into it, and so was the band. They looked happy to be there, and the playing was very tight. I was afraid to hear songs like "Walk in the Shadows" because they came off so bad on 2001's Live Evolution, but they were all stellar last night. My only complaint is that Mike Stone doesn't handle some of the DeGarmo solos very well. Overall, Queensryche put on a great set. Absolutely no frills. No backdrop, lights, nothin', just them and their music. It was a huge let down to see them get off stage so quick. Their set, at least from “Neue Regel” on was the same as other shows.

As far as the new song, it was a bit spotty. The mix was kind of poor during it, so I couldn't understand a lot of the words. There was some very cool guitar work during it though, and it was nice and heavy. I'm going to have to withhold judgment until I can hear it on an album though. It seemed very out of place in their set.

Before launching into the two Tribe songs of the night (which were, again, fantastic) Tate spoke for about a minute about how great the freedoms are we have as Americans. This was met with much grumbling and some “fuck off’s”. I consider most of my political views conservative, and I know Queensryche is quite typically liberal, but to just scuff at them for celebrating our freedom as Americans is ridiculous. It was a real downer to hear the crowd do that.

Judas Priest came on at 9:00 PM sharp. They opened with a particularly slow rendition of "Electric Eye". Halford didn't move an inch until the solo, and that was only to head over to another platform (he started about every song by rising up on the platform). In fact, most of the band didn't move at all. Not until "Metal Gods", when Halford does that ridiculous walk. The band was playing really sluggish and did not seem to be into it one bit. About half way through "Riding on the Wind" I was ready to leave. Halford still hadn't freaking moved. He looked like he was ready to be done the minute they started.

Hey, I know you guys are old, but I still pay money to see you actually give a concert you care about. If I've ever seen "phoning it in" it was done by Priest tonight. It was absolutely pathetic. In fact, it was downright embarrassing. They were mostly playing songs they played less then a year ago at Ozzfest anyways, what's so hard about them? They literally moved around the stage about as much as any given rock at Stonehenge has moved in its entire span of existence. And they looked absolutely ridiculous. There must have been enough leather on stage to upholster several cars.

I'm sorry, but I can with honesty say that tonight's Priest concert was the worst concert I have ever experienced. And I say this as someone who really enjoyed their show at Ozzfest last summer. We left after a mere 27 minutes, while Priest were busy making "Revolution" suck more live then it did in the studio (yeah, Halford had to sing this one like an octave lower. Just ridiculous, it's not even that high to begin with. It sounded terrible.)

I know I'll get bashed for what I'm saying about Priest, but it's the truth. From the Teleprompters, to the lack of movement, to the sluggish songs, it was just terrible. I especially liked how during "Judas Rising" Rob stood there motionless… as his screams were tracked through the PA. The only thing lamer then that was the ridiculous random-word fest that the lyrics to that song are.

These guys either need to retire, or give me a god damn refund. :finger2:

On a more positive note, their acoustic rendition of “Worth Fighting For” we heard on the radio on the way to the show was pretty damn good. Too bad that would be the best thing they did, and we hadn’t even made it out of the car yet.

SomewhereInTime72
06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
:( :( :( :( :(

WHY??????????????????????????

I feel so sad. This is the only bad thing I've heard about priest. I hope its not bad when I see them. :(

On a brighter note, I will try extra hard to hear I'm American. :tongue:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-04-2005, 10:06 PM
:( :( :( :(

WHY??????????????????????????

I feel so sad. This is the only bad thing I've heard about priest. I hope its not bad when I see them. :(

On a brighter note, I will try extra hard to hear I'm American. :tongue:

I don't know. I'm being honest. I was with a friend, he went to Ozzfest too, enjoyed Priest just like me. He was just as ready to leave as me. Yeah, I know it's the only bad thing you've heard. I think people are in denial. I actually heard people talking about how much better Halford is now. Yeah, whatever. :tp:

Don't try too hard though, it's not that great ;)

MetalDrummer888
06-04-2005, 10:34 PM
I don't know. I'm being honest. I was with a friend, he went to Ozzfest too, enjoyed Priest just like me. He was just as ready to leave as me. Yeah, I know it's the only bad thing you've heard. I think people are in denial. I actually heard people talking about how much better Halford is now. Yeah, whatever. :tp:

Don't try too hard though, it's not that great ;)

they better shape up b4 they hit SF

powerslave_85
06-04-2005, 11:10 PM
And they looked absolutely ridiculous. There must have been enough leather on stage to upholster several cars.

:lol:

HECHO EN MEXICO
06-04-2005, 11:11 PM
:lol:SHUT THE FUCK UP EMO BOY!

powerslave_85
06-04-2005, 11:15 PM
SHUT THE FUCK UP EMO BOY!
What? He's the one who made fun of your beloved Priest, not me.

HECHO EN MEXICO
06-04-2005, 11:20 PM
TOUR: Judas Priest - Reunited
SUPPORT: Queensryche
VENUE: DTE -- Detroit, MI
DATE: June 4, 2005
REVIEWED: June 5, 2005

Well I'm back early then expected from last night's Priest concert...

We left plenty early for the show and made great time most of the way there. Until we got within about 5 miles of the show and traffic on I-75 ground to a halt. I was unaware of the fact they were moving the three lane road down to one. Needless to say, it took about half an hour to make it the last few miles. We sat down during the second half of "NM 156" having heard most of "Neue Regel" as we were walking in. I was really disappointed we missed a few songs, but life goes on.

I know I come off as the Queensryche fan boy here, and it's weird that happens. I've been listening to Priest longer then Queensryche, and I honestly don't have a bias to either bands, just check my last year's Ozzfest review for proof of that. But besides that point, I know most people on here have had a very different experience with Queensryche then I have, and I'm not sure why that is.

We saw Queensryche for 50 minutes, and during that time, they put on a fantastic show. No doubt about it. Just song into song, with some friendly banter in between. The crowd was into it, and so was the band. They looked happy to be there, and the playing was very tight. I was afraid to hear songs like "Walk in the Shadows" because they came off so bad on 2001's Live Evolution, but they were all stellar last night. My only complaint is that Mike Stone doesn't handle some of the DeGarmo solos very well. Overall, Queensryche put on a great set. Absolutely no frills. No backdrop, lights, nothin', just them and their music. It was a huge let down to see them get off stage so quick. Their set, at least from “Neue Regel” on was the same as other shows.

As far as the new song, it was a bit spotty. The mix was kind of poor during it, so I couldn't understand a lot of the words. There was some very cool guitar work during it though, and it was nice and heavy. I'm going to have to withhold judgment until I can hear it on an album though. It seemed very out of place in their set.

Before launching into the two Tribe songs of the night (which were, again, fantastic) Tate spoke for about a minute about how great the freedoms are we have as Americans. This was met with much grumbling and some “fuck off’s”. I consider most of my political views conservative, and I know Queensryche is quite typically liberal, but to just scuff at them for celebrating our freedom as Americans is ridiculous. It was a real downer to hear the crowd do that.

Judas Priest came on at 9:00 PM sharp. They opened with a particularly slow rendition of "Electric Eye". Halford didn't move an inch until the solo, and that was only to head over to another platform (he started about every song by rising up on the platform). In fact, most of the band didn't move at all. Not until "Metal Gods", when Halford does that ridiculous walk. The band was playing really sluggish and did not seem to be into it one bit. About half way through "Riding on the Wind" I was ready to leave. Halford still hadn't freaking moved. He looked like he was ready to be done the minute they started.

Hey, I know you guys are old, but I still pay money to see you actually give a concert you care about. If I've ever seen "phoning it in" it was done by Priest tonight. It was absolutely pathetic. In fact, it was downright embarrassing. They were mostly playing songs they played less then a year ago at Ozzfest anyways, what's so hard about them? They literally moved around the stage about as much as any given rock at Stonehenge has moved in its entire span of existence. And they looked absolutely ridiculous. There must have been enough leather on stage to upholster several cars.

I'm sorry, but I can with honesty say that tonight's Priest concert was the worst concert I have ever experienced. And I say this as someone who really enjoyed their show at Ozzfest last summer. We left after a mere 27 minutes, while Priest were busy making "Revolution" suck more live then it did in the studio (yeah, Halford had to sing this one like an octave lower. Just ridiculous, it's not even that high to begin with. It sounded terrible.)

I know I'll get bashed for what I'm saying about Priest, but it's the truth. From the Teleprompters, to the lack of movement, to the sluggish songs, it was just terrible. I especially liked how during "Judas Rising" Rob stood there motionless… as his screams were tracked through the PA. The only thing lamer then that was the ridiculous random-word fest that the lyrics to that song are.

These guys either need to retire, or give me a god damn refund. :finger2:

On a more positive note, their acoustic rendition of “Worth Fighting For” we heard on the radio on the way to the show was pretty damn good. Too bad that would be the best thing they did, and we hadn’t even made it out of the car yet.FIRST OF ALL IM SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU DID NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME (AND THAT PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT)

..HALFORD HAS IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN LAST YEAR (I HAVE SOME 2005 PRIEST BOOTS TO PROVE IT!)

MAIDEN, SABBATH, METALLICA, DIO ALL HAVE OFF NIGHTS!
SO DONT START BASHING PRIEST!

"his screams were tracked through the PA" - EvilCheeseWedge

THE INTRO TO JUDAS IS RISING IS THROUGH THE PA BUT THATS IT!
(from the bootleg dvd's i have)

PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT, STOP BITCHING ABOUT IT!

EvilCheeseWedge
06-04-2005, 11:29 PM
FIRST OF ALL IM SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU DID NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME (AND THAT PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT)

..HALFORD HAS IS IN BETTER SHAPE THAN LAST YEAR (I HAVE SOME 2005 PRIEST BOOTS TO PROVE IT!)

Thanks, Hecho.

Well, they didn't have a great night tonight. I know bands have off nights, but that's not my problem. I frankly don't pay them to have off nights.

Yeah, I know it's just the intro. But if you're not even gonna sing it, why bother? It just looked dumb to see him standing there motionless as you can hear his screams through the PA.

Stop bitching? You wanna give me the $50 + I wasted on the concert back?

EvilCheeseWedge
06-04-2005, 11:32 PM

I wonder how many cows had to die to outfit those guys.

powerslave_85
06-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Who would want to kill these guys? ------> :cowsleep: :snivel:

I may be a bit biased here (:lol: ), but I wouldn't be surprised if Queensryche routinely upstaged Priest on this tour. When I saw them on the Mindcrime tour, they were on fire :metal:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Who would want to kill these guys? ------> :cowsleep: :snivel:

I may be a bit biased here (:lol: ), but I wouldn't be surprised if Queensryche routinely upstaged Priest on this tour. When I saw them on the Mindcrime tour, they were on fire :metal:

We have a cow smiley? :eek: Sweet! :party:

Well, my friend is a pretty neutral party on both (all, basically) bands and said that Queensryche upstaged Priest by more then a little bit.

HECHO EN MEXICO
06-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks, Hecho.

Well, they didn't have a great night tonight. I know bands have off nights, but that's not my problem. I frankly don't pay them to have off nights.

Yeah, I know it's just the intro. But if you're not even gonna sing it, why bother? It just looked dumb to see him standing there motionless as you can hear his screams through the PA.

Stop bitching? You wanna give me the $50 + I wasted on the concert back?YEAH I HEAR YA (I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN LUCKY!NOT ONE BAND THAT I HAVE SEEN HAS HAD A OFF NIGHT)

..IT HAPPENS (OFF NIGHTS)
AXL ROSE HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE MANY OFF NIGHTS (DURRING HIS FUCKIN PRIME)

BRUCE HAD HIS VOICE SHOT (FOR SOME SHOWS DURRING THE "WORLD SLAVERY TOUR" AND THE " FEAR OF THE DARK TOUR")

HALFORD (DURRING THE CRUCIBLE HAD A SHOT VOICE)

Voodoomaster
06-05-2005, 04:07 AM
Funny, since the gig which I saw this year of Priest was among the best gigs I have ever seen. Well, maybe they had an off night, haven't read any other reviews of that gig yet. I'm just sorry to hear that you didn't like the gig and you're disapointed. At least you liked R˙che...

hot_turkey_ed
06-05-2005, 05:52 AM
I was a bit concerned when I saw they were using the same set and set list from last year. Deep down, that's probably one of the reasons I haven't made more an effort to purchase ticket for all of the CA & NV shows. ECW's review worries me A LOT.... and you all know ECW knows his shit. You should be a bit worried too.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-05-2005, 07:14 AM
I was a bit concerned when I saw they were using the same set and set list from last year. Deep down, that's probably one of the reasons I haven't made more an effort to purchase ticket for all of the CA & NV shows. ECW's review worries me A LOT.... and you all know ECW knows his shit. You should be a bit worried too.

You caught one of the off Ozzfest shows last year didn't you? That probably means the set would be even more the same. ;) It just wasn't worth it for us to stay and watch them do the same thing, except with less energy.

SirLardsAlot
06-05-2005, 08:13 AM
FIRST OF ALL IM SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU DID NOT HAVE A GOOD TIME (AND THAT PRIEST HAD A OFF NIGHT)

Giving a review of a concert he did not enjoy is not bashing.

Fe Maiden
06-05-2005, 08:17 AM
I hope they have their shit together by July! Glad to hear QR did so well! I'm looking forward to them just as much as (if not more) than JP ;)

ADD
06-05-2005, 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear of your experience CheeseMan, I knew somehting was wrong when I saw you lurking on the board earlier last night;) I really, really hope Priest will get their shit together for my show on July 2nd.

Even though I've been reading all these positive reviews I had my reservations before even seeing this, seeing the DVD portion of Angel Of Retribution with the live tracks. Even in his earliest tours Halford never has had any sort of good stage presence, so now he is even more vulnerable to lapses than when he was younger. That telepromter shit is fucking horrible...NO other metal singers use that. I actually would rather him forget the lyrics or slightly alter them if he forgets 'em rather than reading off a screen like it's fucking kareoke :tp: It's not like Priest's lyrics are so good we have to hear them being read like a script anyways:lol:

I really pray my experience will be better than yours, although that's almost a given since Jerry Cantrell will be on the bill as well;) Among others for Bone Bash IV :party:

ADD
06-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I was a bit concerned when I saw they were using the same set and set list from last year.

This should kill all complaints about Maiden's sets from anyone;)

EvilCheeseWedge
06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
This should kill all complaints about Maiden's sets from anyone;)

Oh yes, Maiden have done a much better job then Priest this year at setlist changing. :D

EvilCheeseWedge
06-06-2005, 10:25 AM
I really pray my experience will be better than yours, although that's almost a given since Jerry Cantrell will be on the bill as well;) Among others for Bone Bash IV :party:

Queensryche is on your bill too, right? As long as those guys put on the same caliber show for you as they did for us, you'll at least be well pleased with them.

ADD
06-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Queensryche is on your bill too, right? As long as those guys put on the same caliber show for you as they did for us, you'll at least be well pleased with them.

Yes they are :party: Yeah, I've been looking forward to them just as much as Priest all along :D Jerry is gonna shred the house down as well, can't wait to hear some Alice In Chains classics:cowboy:

Actually in truth the AIC stuff is what I'm looking forward to most of anything:eyes:

ADD
06-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Oh yes, Maiden have done a much better job then Priest this year at setlist changing. :D

They always have done a better job;)

B/lawless1
06-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I just got back from The Priest show and I thought they were awesome...I don't understand how someone could say they suck..Why does it matter if they move around on stage or not? The music sounds great and the stage looks awesome...Halfords voice was top notch...I'm going 2 more times this week and can't wait...P.S. Queensyrche were fantastic also...

EvilCheeseWedge
06-08-2005, 09:08 PM
I just got back from The Priest show and I thought they were awesome...I don't understand how someone could say they suck..Why does it matter if they move around on stage or not? The music sounds great and the stage looks awesome...Halfords voice was top notch...I'm going 2 more times this week and can't wait...P.S. Queensyrche were fantastic also...

Because they did suck when I saw them. It doesn't matter. They could've ran a marathon on stage and still sucked, it just doesn't help them any when they suck AND look bored. I'm sorry to say...

Bouville
06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Because they did suck when I saw them. It doesn't matter. They could've ran a marathon on stage and still sucked, it just doesn't help them any when they suck AND look bored. I'm sorry to say...

:eyes: :lol:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-09-2005, 10:27 AM
:eyes: :lol:

What are you laughing at? :hmm:

Bouville
06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
What are you laughing at? :hmm:

Cheese sucks!!! :flame:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Cheese sucks!!! :flame:

You're laughing at cheese sucks? :confused:

I think you need to lay off the scotch :hmm:

Bouville
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
You're laughing at cheese sucks? :confused:

I think you need to lay off the scotch :hmm:

Scotch :lovedup:

Cheese sucks, is overrated and nothing special :mad:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Judas Priest sucks, is overrated and nothing special :mad:

That would basically be correct.

Bouville
06-09-2005, 02:04 PM

:eyes:

MetalDrummer888
06-09-2005, 08:18 PM
mmmm alittle quote change have we??

i hate metal!!! It sucks and is for pussies!!! Listen to something good like rap or hip hop you losers!!!

thats it. ban him :mad:

EvilCheeseWedge
06-10-2005, 07:12 AM
thats it. ban him :mad:

:hmm:

Bouville
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
:hmm:

:rockdevil :rockdevil :rockdevil