PDA

View Full Version : Danzig Legacy -- Chicago, IL -- October 7th, 2011

metallicbrian666
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Holy mother of fuck this show was godlike.

Overture of the Rebel Angels/SkinCarver
Hammer of the Gods
Rebel Spirits
Twist of Cain
Her Black Wings
Devil's Plaything
How the Gods kill
Dirty Black Summer
It's Coming Down
---
Initium/Samhain
All Murder, All Guts, All Fun
Horror Biz
Unholy Passion
Let The Day Begin
To Walk The night
Mother Of Mercy (Randy Blythe of LOG on backing vocals)
---
Death Comes Ripping
Vampira
Bullet
I Turned Into A Martian
Night of the Living Dead
Halloween
Astro Zombies
Last Caress
---
Bringer of Death
Not of This World
Mother
---
Skulls

jd091
10-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Hoooly shit. I should have gone to this. Did you happen to have the Youth of Today setlist? Or Nachtmysitum?

MPF
10-07-2011, 11:16 PM
How was the stage?

metallicbrian666
10-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Hoooly shit. I should have gone to this. Did you happen to have the Youth of Today setlist? Or Nachtmysitum?
Nachtmystium (from what i can remember him saying, out of order):
Ritual Sacrifice
Ashes To Ashes
A Seed For Suffering
Assassins
Addicts
Hellish Overdose

Youth Of Today did (out of order, only going by what he said):
Break Down The Walls
Can't Close My Mind
No More
A Time We'll Remember
Positive Outlook
Minor Threat (MT cover)
Young Until I Die (7 seconds cover)

THE STAGE WAS NOT BIG ENOUGH. But seriously, they had awesome backdrops for the three eras. The Samhain November-Coming-Fire one was killer

metallicbrian666
10-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Also, Glenn confirmed that the current four dates are it. There will be no tour.

elturtleboy
10-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Holy shit!
But no die die? Halloween II? 138?
Still a great set

metallicbrian666
10-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Holy shit!
But no die die? Halloween II? 138?
Still a great set
Yeah I know. I imagine they wanted to end with Skulls, Die Die, and 138 but ran out of time.

I wish they would've done Mommy (my favorite song) but I'm totally happy with what I got.

Also, found the correct setlist and updated the original post

Magson13
10-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Horrible setlist, horrible show all around. Awful show.

*goes off to a corner and cries because I didn't get to see it*

Jochen
10-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Yeah, this show was amazing. It was so good I might just stop going to shows, because unless I see this again, no show will compare to this. Glenn sounded great, he was obviously pissed at the sound people, but still, great show. Great set, I was really surprised to see he didn't open with Wotan's Procession, and the Her Black Wings/Devils Plaything medley was a real treat. I might be in the minority here, but the highlight was definitely the Samhain songs. From when they switched the backdrop and when Danzig ran on stage w/ the dog mask, it was badass. Plus, imo, he sung those songs the best. It was great to finally hear songs from November Coming Fire, which one of my favorite albums of all-time. My only complaint is the Congress Theater sounds horrible. That was the worst-sounding show I have ever seen. Oh yeah, Youth of Today owned, I'd never heard them before, but they really impressed me, everyone should try to see them.

Epidemic Reign
10-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah, this show was amazing. It was so good I might just stop going to shows, because unless I see this again, no show will compare to this. Glenn sounded great, he was obviously pissed at the sound people, but still, great show. Great set, I was really surprised to see he didn't open with Wotan's Procession, and the Her Black Wings/Devils Plaything medley was a real treat. I might be in the minority here, but the highlight was definitely the Samhain songs. From when they switched the backdrop and when Danzig ran on stage w/ the dog mask, it was badass. Plus, imo, he sung those songs the best. It was great to finally hear songs from November Coming Fire, which one of my favorite albums of all-time. My only complaint is the Congress Theater sounds horrible. That was the worst-sounding show I have ever seen. Oh yeah, Youth of Today owned, I'd never heard them before, but they really impressed me, everyone should try to see them.

It's not a perfect show till Danny from NSK knocks Glenn the fuck out ;)

daimonos
10-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Randy Blythe was there? Fuuuuuu I should have gone...

Magson13
10-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Randy Blythe was there? Fuuuuuu I should have gone...

Talk about some fucked up priorities......

electrocute1031
10-08-2011, 06:32 AM
holy shit i wish i was there :drool:

endless_pain
10-08-2011, 06:57 AM
I hope the ceiling was high enough for Danzig's ego ;)

KillerCannabis
10-08-2011, 07:47 AM
My dick is gonna be hard until Halloween. Can't wait for this show.

dcmetal108
10-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Randy Blyth was there! HOLY SHIT!

I WANTED TO GO TO THIS WHY MUST I WORK WHYYYY!!!!

(still hopes for a tour where Danzig plays all of Danzig 2)

This is a amazing set. I feel like crying.

daimonos
10-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Talk about some fucked up priorities......

Trust me, Randy Blythe isn't my priority, dickhead. I was just saying it would have been cool to have no idea something like that was going to happen, and be surprised like that.

jd091
10-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I saw on Randy's Tumblr that he was gonna go. Kind of wish I went now... oh well. Youth of Today would have been fucking sick to see.

daimonos
10-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I saw on Randy's Tumblr that he was gonna go. Kind of wish I went now... oh well. Youth of Today would have been fucking sick to see.

Is LoG recording in Chicago or something? If they are, I need to get on that, because I know Chris Adler and that would be cool as all hell to go to their studio or something...

christopher
10-08-2011, 09:54 AM
No Archangel nor November Coming Fire? I hope the sets were cut due to time constraints cause I want a longer Misfits and Samhain set when I see him on Halloween..

dimmudan
10-08-2011, 10:00 AM
It was a great show. Danzig was pretty slow to come on and my buzz was wearing off waiting for him to hit the old stuff but I agree for me when he hit the stage with Samhain I totally woke up and it was awesome. I got to see his last Danzig/Samhain shows a number of years ago and from what I recall he played a number of different Samhain songs which was cool.

I've been going to concerts since the mid-80s and when the Misfits banner dropped and they started playing I believe that was probably the most intense overall crowd reaction that I can recall in my lifetime. I've seen more violent pits but the entire floor swayed back and forth and essentially was one big pit for the first couple of songs. It was insane and very cool. I would guess the floor of the Congress was around 3000 to 4000 people although not really sure and it was the fullest I can remember seeing it and had a huge sway towards the rail that you pretty much just had to ride (I started probably 20 bodies from the rail and rode the sway with a friend to the rail as masses abandoned the rail and pit area altogether.

As soon as the Misfits ended probably 1/4 of the people in the center pit area bailed for booze, bathroom or home when the Danzig banner came down and his encore was solid but there was no way for him to follow the Misfits.

I never saw a written setlist but to me it almost felt like the 2nd encore with Doyle playing Skulls was possibly not originally planned. It probably was but Danzig's ego is so huge that I could see him being deluded enough to believe that he could close the night with Danzig material and people would be remotely satisfied. I suspect seeing the crowd still walking out as he came on to do a Danzig encore had to be a gut check/ego check for him and any thoughts of him not doing future shows with Doyle certainly might have to be rethought as he would have to be a moron to not see the financial upside of a Misfits reunion worldwide not to mention that he truly sounded much better singing the Misfits and Samhain songs than he did the Danzig stuff. Not being a musician, I suspect his vocal range has suffered over the years and he really doesn't need any vocal range to scream Misfits songs so in a way those songs are probably a better fit to his current vocal talents in the same way that Dave Mustaine really can't do vocals from Rust in Peace justice in any way, shape or form today.

Either way in the thousand plus shows I have probably seen over the years the Misfits set certainly hits my top 5 even though for me it would have been more meaningful to do it 15 years ago I have to admit that I became a kid again yesterday for at least an hour. Pretty amazing shit. Anyone without a ticket to his other 4 shows needs to scrape together the $ and drive just in case this doesn't happen again (which I honestly doubt after him witnessing the crowd response as I just cannot believe that that didn't crack even his ego to see people walk out on his Danzig encore and beg for 15 minutes for even just one more Misfits song--We'll see what the future brings)

GO SEE THIS SHOW!!!!:rocker::horns:

dimmudan
10-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Oops other 3 shows and by the way, Doyle is a fucking beast. That dude looks great and I would guess he is pushing 50 years old... will have to look that up. Either way Doyle impressed the shit out of me and looks like he could still kick some serious ass in a fight.

Skinny Juice
10-08-2011, 11:25 AM
This shit is UNREAL! I envy the folks who get to see this or the other shows. Who was the line-up for the Misfits set? Danzig, Doyle & his Danzig band?

BloodoftheKings
10-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Randy Blythe singing Mother of Mercy, lolwut?

KillerCannabis
10-08-2011, 01:29 PM
I'd like to get some confirmation on the line-ups for Misfits and Samhain as well.

dimmudan
10-08-2011, 02:24 PM
For DANZIG johnny Kelly from type o on.drums and tommy victor from prong on guitar. Misfits had Doyle on guitar. Not positive on the rest

BlackmoreOfBowling
10-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Eh. Wake me when there's a Wino Legacy, or a Matt Pike Legacy haha

metallicbrian666
10-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Samhain lineup is Tommy on guitar and Steve Zing and London May alternating on drums and bass

Steve Zing's on bass for the Misfits set

metallicbrian666
10-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Someone recorded the full show from the Samhain set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0Rc3vV25g

dcmetal108
10-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Someone recorded the full show from the Samhain set

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0Rc3vV25g

THANK YOU!

(now I'm even more pissed I wasn't there.)

lowestform
10-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Glenn sounded great, he was obviously pissed at the sound people.......My only complaint is the Congress Theater sounds horrible. That was the worst-sounding show I have ever seen.

I joined just to comment on this. I saw Emperor at the Congress back in 1999 and they had the same problems. Everything was mixed horribly, it sounded like a complete mess. Ihsahn was bitching at the sound people between all of the first 5-6 songs before giving up. If I recall correctly the monitors for the drummer were not functioning at all, so he couldn't hear anyone. Reading this brought that all back for me. Ha. Luckily I saw em in Chicago a fedw years ago at another venue near Wrigley and the sound was much much better. :horns:

jd091
10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I joined just to comment on this. I saw Emperor at the Congress back in 1999 and they had the same problems. Everything was mixed horribly, it sounded like a complete mess. Ihsahn was bitching at the sound people between all of the first 5-6 songs before giving up. If I recall correctly the monitors for the drummer were not functioning at all, so he couldn't hear anyone. Reading this brought that all back for me. Ha. Luckily I saw em in Chicago a fedw years ago at another venue near Wrigley and the sound was much much better. :horns:

YOU SAW EMPEROR

TWICE

FUCK YOU!

metallicbrian666
10-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I assume "the venue near Wrigley" is the Metro

lowestform
10-12-2011, 02:29 PM
TWICE! I'm not gonna lie, it was awesome!

And you're correct sir, it was the metro. Couldn't think of the name, I'm from Detroit and was only there the one time.

jd091
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
TWICE! I'm not gonna lie, it was awesome!

And you're correct sir, it was the metro. Couldn't think of the name, I'm from Detroit and was only there the one time.

So awesome. I'm mad jelly. The metro is a great, rather small venue, too! Would have killed to see Emperor there.

HackedUpForBBQ
10-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Not even taking into consideration the Misfits and Samhain songs, just the fact that they played Devil's Plaything makes the set amazing. Ugh, I wish I could see one of these shows, but at least I saw the Danzig/Doyle reunion in 2005. Still..... god damnit

Steev
03-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Also, Glenn confirmed that the current four dates are it. There will be no tour.

well apparently this changed