PDA

View Full Version : Opeth -- Kansas City, MO -- October 6th, 2011

mankvill
10-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I couldn't ask for a better performance for my first Opeth show. Going into it, I had probably heard more of Katatonia than Opeth, but I was completely floored by them. Exceptionally heavy and just overall great performances from everyone.

As soon as Opeth started The Devil's Orchard, the crowd went nuts. They actually were singing along to most every song and headbanging, moshing, crowd surfing throughout the whole show. Yeah, there was one douchebag screaming for Blackwater Park in the back of the venue, but everyone else seemed really appreciative of Opeth doing something different. The only remotely negative thing I could say is that while I definitely enjoyed their acoustic songs, it really kinda threw off the tempo of the show. Luckily, Mikael is a great frontman and engaged the crowd and even led us through a rendition of the chorus to Harvest that it all was definitely worth it in the end. Highlights were the chillingly amazing "Face of Melinda", the Rainbow-ripoff (Mikael's words) "Slither" and "Hex Omega". Definitely never missing a local Opeth show from now on. No harsh vocals = the best kind of Opeth show.

Katatonia opened the show and was warmly received. Great "doom rock" that was really quite heavy at times. "July" was probably the heaviest song from them that evening. I'm definitely going to look into them further now!

Beaumont Club was packed. I dunno if it was sold out, but there were more people there for this show than I've seen at most shows. Definitely made me feel good to see a really happy and respectful crowd, yet still huge metal fans!

Opeth:

The Devil's Orchard
I Feel the Dark
Face of Melinda
Porcelain Heart
Pyre
----
Throat of Winter (Acoustic)
Patterns in the Ivy II (Acoustic)
Harvest (just the chorus with crowd singing)
Closure (semi-Acoustic)
----
Slither
Fair Judgement
Hex Omega
----
Folklore

Katatonia

1. Ghost Of The Sun?
2. Liberation
3. Soil's Song
4. My Twin
5. The Longest Year
6. Evidence
7. July
8. Dissolving Bonds?
9. Day and then the Shade
10. Forsaker

jd091
10-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Moshing? Really? Huh.

mankvill
10-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Moshing? Really? Huh.

Opeth was heavy as bawls.

300%_Density
10-07-2011, 04:21 PM
My band man. I never got to let you know that I wasn't gonna be able to make this one. Been sick as fuck all week. Bummed I didn't get to go but glad you had a good first Opeth experience. Surprised it was as packed as it was. Maybe bc of the no growling if people caught on to that and made them wanna go. Who knows. It definitely wasn't all that packed a few years back when they were @ Beaumont last.

Rocco44
10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Opeth with no harsh vocals is definitely not the best kind of Opeth show lol. That said, the set is strong enough that I know the show will be great.

Definitely check out Katatonia. Amazingly consistent band.

Indestructible
10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Opeth should add in Harvest(full), Windowpane and To Rid The Disease

kngdymond
10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
so sad to see the kiddies now glad that Opeth is so weak they can sing along like Bon Jovi he isnt harsh either so post his review next

glad I saw them when they still rocked and had original line up this stuff over the last few years is soooooo lame but Mikael is making some cash and living out in the suburbs writing more folk tunes for you guys

you pick up peter paul and mary greatest hits for like 5.99 you will love it:rocker:

mankvill
10-07-2011, 10:47 PM
so sad to see the kiddies now glad that Opeth is so weak they can sing along like Bon Jovi he isnt harsh either so post his review next

glad I saw them when they still rocked and had original line up this stuff over the last few years is soooooo lame but Mikael is making some cash and living out in the suburbs writing more folk tunes for you guys

you pick up peter paul and mary greatest hits for like 5.99 you will love it:rocker:

lol ya xD

metal is about titties war nd beer! fuk ya!!!

mosh and hedbang!!! mushroomhead and slipknot r00l!!!! :shred:

GarageMetal468
10-07-2011, 10:49 PM
lol ya xD

MFH MFH MFH

InFlamesOfBirchmen
10-07-2011, 10:54 PM

Huuuurrr "heavy" = quality, right?

Look, Opeth is Opeth. If you don't like it, that's cool. Go look at your favorite "heavy" band and you'll see how many lineup changes there have been. That means nothing. Opeth play progressive death metal. Notice the first word: progressive.

Epidemic Reign
10-07-2011, 10:58 PM
On another note Peter, Paul and Mary rock :bigfinger

SomewhereInTime72
10-07-2011, 11:03 PM
lol ya xD

:rocker:

Epidemic Reign
10-07-2011, 11:13 PM

ya but sumtimes corey taylor plays acoustic nd sings and its not (sic) nd br00tal its fuckin weak brah

ShatteredFlame
10-07-2011, 11:29 PM

u saw them before Mikael joined? Respect.

jd091
10-08-2011, 12:04 AM
u saw them before Mikael joined? Respect.

:lol: Seriously man, what the fuck are you talking about?

daimonos
10-08-2011, 02:48 AM
:lol: Seriously man, what the fuck are you talking about?

He's actually right. There was a time when Mikael Akerfeldt was not in Opeth.

brutal_descent
10-08-2011, 03:34 AM

I don't think JD's asking ShatteredFlame :lol:

jd091
10-08-2011, 10:40 AM

I don't think JD's asking ShatteredFlame :lol:

Yeah, obviously I know that. I was getting on this new guy's case.

daimonos
10-08-2011, 10:41 AM
DOH

was drunk, sorry.

maidenpriest
10-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Manks I thought you didn't like Opeth...

mankvill
10-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Manks I thought you didn't like Opeth...

More like Blowpeth

Epidemic Reign
10-08-2011, 02:43 PM
More like Blowpeth

or Opshhhh

Hey what time did the show end? Seems like a lot of these are starting/ending really early.

mankvill
10-08-2011, 02:47 PM
or Opshhhh

Hey what time did the show end? Seems like a lot of these are starting/ending really early.

Katatonia was on right at 8, finished about 8:45.

Opeth came on about 9:20 and got off about 11:30

Epidemic Reign
10-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Katatonia was on right at 8, finished about 8:45.

Opeth came on about 9:20 and got off about 11:30

Ok, that seems normal-ish. I've been hearing some of the shows are ending around 10. Maybe it's just curfew/sound ordinance where they're playing.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
The Dallas show ended around 11:05.