PDA

View Full Version : Will Not Renew Revolver

Butcher of Birth
10-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Over the past year I have gotten more and more fed up with the lack of different types of Metal being presented in this magazine. Aside from the big bands like Megadeth, Slayer, Mastodon, Opeth, etc. there is no mention of Black Metal, Power Metal, and others, instead you get every band under the sun that is "core". This is merely strike one.

In the past year, Revolver has become bi-monthly. One can say the reason for this is decline in subscriptions, and I can see why, but in the end you would expect for each of the 6 issues be nice and comprehensive. The latest issue was 98 pages... What?! You are going to sum of the entire season of Fall in the Metal world in 98 pages? Metal Hammer had 130 pages for just the month of September. So not only am I not getting all the Metal I want from every genre, but I'm forced to read about shit deathcore bands with stupid names for some 70 pages.

Now, onto what is actually in Revolver this month that has put a nail in the coffin for me. Different Metal mags in recent months have had covers featuring Machine Head, Nergal, Iron Maiden, Slipknot, and Best of Metal 2011, what does Revolver have? Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed a key feature on the past 4 issues, and 25 Hottest Chicks in Hard Rock... Awesome.

But as I have said, it's because of the recent issue that I am at my breaking point, so allow me to break it down for you.

The cover:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/rokulikesatan/2011-10-06160300.jpg

New releases from Mastodon, Megadeth, Anthrax, Machine Head, Opeth, as well as new tours, but only Anthrax gets a mention. Nice. Revolver rates new releases of Amy Lee and Falling in Reverse, as well as their last interview with Disturbed over the aforementioned bands. Not only are they not even talking about Metal as a whole, they aren't even talking about music! They are talking about who they think are hottest chicks they want you to like. The list includes the singer of Halestorm and not Angela Gossow... :tp:

Now onto the most aggravating thing in all of Revolver, Vinnie Paul. You should be able to understand my rage from this:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/rokulikesatan/2011-10-06160441.jpg

When it comes to reviews, they never really sway how I feel about an album or if I will buy it or not. Usually you would give your most experienced writer the job of writing your feature review, or at least someone who is a fan of the band.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/rokulikesatan/2011-10-06160647.jpg

Yeah, Cryptic Writings was a bad album, you're right. :bouville:

And this really has nothing to do with anything, but I'm tried of "The Black Veil Brides." This band gets pages upon pages of promotion and I'm fed up damn it!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/rokulikesatan/2011-10-06160751.jpg
I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR TATTOO'S THAT YOU CAN ONLY AFFORD AT YOUR AGE BECAUSE OF YOUR RICH PARENTS!

That is all. Goodbye Revolver, you served me fairly okay when you were a month magazine.

Indestructible
10-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Im fine with that picture of Amy Lee on the cover. :D

ChildrenofSodom
10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Revolver usually displays Disturbed, Slipknot, Dragonforce, and Zakk Wylde on its cover multiple times each year. Why would you expect it to be a good magazine? Also, why the fuck are you reading magazines? Its 2011.

illuminatus917
10-06-2011, 01:43 PM
They should put Rebecca Vernon and Sarah Pendleton on there. Get amy Lee the fuck off.

illuminatus917
10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
why the fuck are you reading magazines? Its 2011.

You're so modern

larvtard
10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Revolver has been complete shit for a couple years now, I ended my subscription a while back. And you know, this is like the fifth edition of The Hottest Chicks feature so far...

BloodoftheKings
10-06-2011, 01:47 PM
This magazine has always been garbage. If Cryptic Writings was a huge misstep then why do they still play songs from it all the time?

Indestructible
10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
They should put Rebecca Vernon and Sarah Pendleton on there.

I don't know who they are, I would like to know.

JRA
10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Wait, Revolver was ever a good magazine?

smearCampaign
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah, Revolver has been a waste of time for a while.

Decibel is the only worthwhile US metal magazine.

mankvill
10-06-2011, 01:58 PM
There are metal magazines other than Terrorizer and Metal Hammer?

Epidemic Reign
10-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Wait, Revolver was ever a good magazine?

This.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I am genuinely surprised anyone reads magazines anymore. I've never found a magazine that can tell me anything I don't already know. The interviews are always shit, the bands in them are always whatever they think will sell copies, not what actually deserves to be covered, and the writing is usually awful. And over the past ten years they've becoming insanely expensive. Even the cover-mount CDs tend to be a complete waste of plastic.

DethMaiden
10-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Decibel and Rolling Stone are worthwhile. Spin might be, haven't really read it enough. Most of the rest of the glossies are crap, though.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Kerrang!, Zero Tolerance, Rock Sound, Powerplay...

You'd like Zero Tolerance, actually. Current issue has The Devil's Blood on the cover, and the interview features are with Absu, Craft, Amebix, Tsjuder, Nocturnal Fear and Discharge.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Decibel and Rolling Stone are worthwhile. Spin might be, haven't really read it enough. Most of the rest of the glossies are crap, though.

When was the last time one of those told you something you didn't know?

Epidemic Reign
10-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Kerrang!, Zero Tolerance, Rock Sound, Powerplay...

Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. Never actually read the magazine, but their website is my #1 go-to for metal news.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles. Never actually read the magazine, but their website is my #1 go-to for metal news.

Was about to add that. Mine too. Blabbermouth can suck it ;)

IrritatedTrout
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Sounds like an awful magazine. I haven't had a magazine subscription since I was in like middle school I think.:lol: I enjoy reading things like Time when I find them lying around though.

DethMaiden
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
When was the last time one of those told you something you didn't know?

I routinely discover new bands in the pages of Decibel, actually. And Rolling Stone, I just enjoy the writing. Their reporters aren't just regurgitating press releases; they tend to do very good long features. Plus of course all their non-music content is pretty great.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM
I routinely discover new bands in the pages of Decibel, actually.

Erm, then you're doing something wrong.

And Rolling Stone, I just enjoy the writing. Their reporters aren't just regurgitating press releases; they tend to do very good long features. Plus of course all their non-music content is pretty great.

Can't comment on the writing. It's not published here. Can't say I've ever seen an excerpt from anything in RS that's ever made me think paying actual money for it is worthwhile though.

Magazines are at least twice as expensive as they should be, and that's the main problem.

mankvill
10-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Derp, I meant Decibel, not Metal Hammer

Butcher of Birth
10-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I quite like Metal Hammer actually. The interviews are nice, and aside from their pieces on Maiden I do learn some stuff.

DethMaiden
10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Erm, then you're doing something wrong.

With 75 reviews per issue or so, I think you'd be hard-pressed to know every single band they cover.

ChildrenofSodom
10-06-2011, 04:29 PM
And what happened to all print moving online? Why can't Decibel and Rolling Stone be online?

DethMaiden
10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Well, why can't all books move to Kindle? I like magazine design and holding a physical thing in my hands from time to time.

Butcher of Birth
10-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Well, why can't all books move to Kindle? I like magazine design and holding a physical thing in my hands from time to time.

Exactly. I would rather have a book, a magazine, AN ACTUAL CD IN MY HAND, than an electronic thing. I have an Mp3 player and hardly use it due in part to me playing my cd's more. I feel too detached from my music when I listen to it through an electronic device.

Epidemic Reign
10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I feel too detached from my music when I listen to it through an electronic device.

Such as a CD player? :lol:

illuminatus917
10-06-2011, 05:01 PM

The relationship between sense stimuli and physical stimuli is out the window these days.

Epidemic Reign
10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I would much rather read a book than a Kindle. But when it comes to music, I'll take my iPod. I can't carry hundreds of cds around with me all the time, but I can carry my iPod. ;)

Butcher of Birth
10-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Such as a CD player? :lol:

I don't even use a cd player. I guess I should have stated hand held device.

ChildrenofSodom
10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I'll never have a Kindle, but I think there is a difference between books and periodicals.

DethMaiden
10-06-2011, 06:15 PM
And I think the difference you're hinting at is the precise opposite of what you're suggesting. How often is book design interesting on inside pages? Pretty typically lines of text identically laid out next to one another. But magazines open up so many great visual possibilities that you lose to uniformity a lot of the time when you go online. That isn't to say there isn't a lot of great web design out there, but there's certainly less of it than there is in magazines.

slapguitarer
10-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Decibel kicks ass. I've discovered some great bands through them. One example being Subrosa :drool:

DementedX14
10-06-2011, 06:22 PM
I really like metal hammer. I enjoy the lists they come up with as well as the album reviews and what not.

illuminatus917
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Indestructible the two chicks I mentioned earlier in this thread are in SubRosa.

Indestructible
10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Indestructible the two chicks I mentioned earlier in this thread are in SubRosa.

This band? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx1HrKqMpQ

illuminatus917
10-06-2011, 09:28 PM
This band? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx1HrKqMpQ

Yeah, but that's one of the weaker tracks on the album.

rjturtle9
10-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Revolver can suck it. Seriously, back in 2004, Slipknot was on every single cover of theirs for a year straight. Exactly a year straight! That was back when I actually was a big Slipknot fan, and it still got annoying after like, the 4th month. Revolver sucks, this website has taken the place magazines used to fill.

jd091
10-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Decibel's the only metal mag worth its salt nowadays, right?

MPF
10-07-2011, 12:38 AM
I gave up on magazines as well. It's not that I can't afford them, its just that the bands they cover don't interest me when I can find them on my own.

Besides getting the Hottest Chicks in Metal magazine, what's the point?

SomewhereInTime72
10-07-2011, 04:06 AM
The internet is metal enough for me.

ChildrenofSodom
10-07-2011, 05:13 AM
And I think the difference you're hinting at is the precise opposite of what you're suggesting. How often is book design interesting on inside pages? Pretty typically lines of text identically laid out next to one another. But magazines open up so many great visual possibilities that you lose to uniformity a lot of the time when you go online. That isn't to say there isn't a lot of great web design out there, but there's certainly less of it than there is in magazines.

No, the difference I'm hinting at is content and use of said content. Any given edition of a book comes out once every 10 years or so. So, for a mass market paperback, for example, you pay 10 dollars and you get a physical product to keep on your shelf. You can read, re-read, etc. Depending on the type of book (fiction, for example) the material will always be relevant and usable. Just re-read it; the content isn't time sensitive.

But with magazines, especially music magazines, you're paying 4-6 bucks each month for new information that becomes old and irrelevant very, very quickly. So, you read in September's Decibel that Mastodon are touring in November. Ok...why would you ever go back to re-read that issue? You already know that piece of news. If you like magazines because they aggregate news, then there is no reason not to just read their websites. And if you like magazines because of their visual lay out...then I don't know what to tell you. That sounds fairly innocuous but a waste of money, in my opinion. I know your reasons for doing it, but for me, the point of an article is to deliver information, not to look neat on a page. :lol:

DethMaiden
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Eh, can't fight you here. I disagree, but to each his own.

Put it this way: Even if you don't actively seek good design, when you see bad design, you know it and immediately trust the content less.

EDIT: Also, yeah, news is on the Internet. Nobody buys a magazine for "the news." They might buy it for analysis of said news (Newsweek) or more likely for features and criticism.

larvtard
10-07-2011, 07:34 AM
I doubt I will ever use the Kindle to read a book. It just feels so satisfying to open an actual book and flip the pages.

ravenheart
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM

99% of all magazine design is horrible. Really, really horrible.

That's before even getting to features which are always too short and always lacking in detail.

Only examples I can think of where the features are worth reading for their actual analysis and detail are things like The Economist.

Bottom line on all of it though is they're just too damn expensive. If they were sensibly priced none of this stuff would matter half as much as it does. But for the ridiculous cover price on all/most magazines I want everything to be decent, because the price point demands it.

I would always rather all physical versions of things were still relevant, including magazines, with the web just backing them up. I still think many physical products are still relevant. But magazines simply aren't.

adamclark52
10-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I had a subscription to this a few years ago, up until they had the first Hottest Chicks in Metal issue. Then I was like, why am I reading this. Revolver did what only the WWE was able to do before them and that was somehow make beautiful women unbearable. I think that was my last issue and I haven't even picked up an issue to glance at since then.

And even if it's 2011 I still like magazines. Hell, I still buy CD's.

DethMaiden
10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
99% of all magazine design is horrible. Really, really horrible.

That's before even getting to features which are always too short and always lacking in detail.

Only examples I can think of where the features are worth reading for their actual analysis and detail are things like The Economist.

Bottom line on all of it though is they're just too damn expensive. If they were sensibly priced none of this stuff would matter half as much as it does. But for the ridiculous cover price on all/most magazines I want everything to be decent, because the price point demands it.

I would always rather all physical versions of things were still relevant, including magazines, with the web just backing them up. I still think many physical products are still relevant. But magazines simply aren't.

In England it is. Your web design blows too. Honestly, you're like 10 years behind America in visual shit in general. :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
10-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Put it this way: Even if you don't actively seek good design, when you see bad design, you know it and immediately trust the content less.

EDIT: Also, yeah, news is on the Internet. Nobody buys a magazine for "the news." They might buy it for analysis of said news (Newsweek) or more likely for features and criticism.

Again, you can get great news analysis online for cheaper, quicker, and its accessible to everyone with a connection.

ravenheart
10-07-2011, 01:06 PM
In England it is. Your web design blows too. Honestly, you're like 10 years behind America in visual shit in general. :lol:

Because Americans can't read and need pictures and pretty colours ;)

Always style over substance.

mankvill
10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Because Americans can't read and need pictures and pretty colours ;)

http://27.media.tumblr.com/9cyPFQbgCnrhuk16HVmUN2kCo1_500.jpg

IrritatedTrout
10-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Right click + Save Image As. :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
10-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Exhibit A: The USA Today. The articles aren't bad. But it looks like a goddamn kid's book with the all the colors and pictures. NYT on the other hand, very classy and very simple.

I know those aren't magazines, but you get it.

DethMaiden
10-07-2011, 03:26 PM
USA Today's design is fucking awful, I'll give you that. Good design has nothing to do with their bullshit Highlights for Children news. :lol:

makethemsuffer12
10-07-2011, 05:34 PM
This magazine has always been garbage. If Cryptic Writings was a huge misstep then why do they still play songs from it all the time?

Only two songs, bud.

Anyway, is it really shocking that Revolver sucks?

BloodoftheKings
10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Only two songs, bud.

Still proves my point. If it was a misstep they would rarely play anything from it.

SomewhereInTime72
10-07-2011, 11:13 PM
CW is the most underrated 'Deth album. It's better than Youthanasia. That's right I said it.

illuminatus917
10-07-2011, 11:19 PM
CW is the most underrated 'Deth album. It's better than Youthanasia. That's right I said it.

:eyes:

Epidemic Reign
10-07-2011, 11:20 PM

I'll back this statement. CW is a great album :fist:

illuminatus917
10-07-2011, 11:22 PM
I'll back this statement. CW is a great album :fist:

It's a decent album. Not in the same league as Youthanasia.

Dextrimental
10-08-2011, 06:10 AM
PEACE SELLS FTW!

El Gordo
10-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Come on. I revisited it a while ago, it's fucking garbage. One good song.

Butcher of Birth
10-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Come on. I revisited it a while ago, it's fucking garbage. One good song.

Then you need to revisit it again with the shit out of your ears.

Butcher of Birth
10-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Overall it's hard for me to rank Rust In Peace, Countdown, or Youthanasia over each other because they are all so damn good during different moods.

El Gordo
10-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Then you need to revisit it again with the shit out of your ears.

Listen closer, it's Dave realizing 'Oh Metallica's making some serious money doing this whole alterna-metal thing, maybe I should try!' Half of it sounds like updated 60's pop, the other side sounds like throw-aways from the Youthanasia sessions. There are exactly 3:05 of good music on Cryptic Writings, and that's The Disintegrators.

Butcher of Birth
10-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Listen closer, it's Dave realizing 'Oh Metallica's making some serious money doing this whole alterna-metal thing, maybe I should try!' Half of it sounds like updated 60's pop, the other side sounds like throw-aways from the Youthanasia sessions. There are exactly 3:05 of good music on Cryptic Writings, and that's The Disintegrators.

http://cdn.caughtoffside.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/sad-strange-little-man.jpg

SomewhereInTime72
10-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Naaaahhhhh.