PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this pieve of news....?

Dextrimental
10-05-2011, 08:45 AM
So, I am currently doing some research from home, and writing on a blog to keep myself busy as currently we are going through a big move and doing college this year just wasn't an option. Anyway, this article popped up in my research, and I'm wondering what peoples opinions on it are? I am remaining unbiased, I want your opinions on the article, whether you agree or not, and your reasons why. Thanks!! :)

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Facebook-troll-jailed-mocking-death-teenager/story-13327593-detail/story.html

idrinkwine732
10-05-2011, 10:07 AM
This isn't trolling. This is different. Trolling is something pretty despicable, but it isn't harmful when it's about something that doesn't matter.

Butcher of Birth
10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I understand from Ravenheart that England's rules of free speech do not reach into allowing you say inflammatory things to incite rage, hate, anger, or violence in people. I personally wish the United States would adopt this due in part to the West Boro Church who picket the funerals of dead soldiers with signs reading "GOD HATES FAGS", etc.

In the end, if this man truly has a mental issue, conventional jail is not the place for him. He should be placed in the care of trained mentalists and provided tools to better understand that what he does is wrong and hurtful towards others.

Hope this helps.

jd091
10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
pieve

Dextrimental
10-05-2011, 10:45 AM
pieve

Yeah, sorry :lol:

Mods, any chance this can be fixed? Pretty pleeeease....?

jd091
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
But seriously, this is incredibly stupid that he would be jailed. Incredibly stupid. Even if he did post that. And the man has fuckin' Aspergers! Come on, people!

And if they're gonna start jailing people for trolling... watch out, everyone on this site. :lol:

Wizzbang11
10-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Free speech; it's what separates us from the savages.

GarageMetal468
10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
But seriously, this is incredibly stupid that he would be jailed. Incredibly stupid. Even if he did post that. And the man has fuckin' Aspergers! Come on, people!

And if they're gonna start jailing people for trolling... watch out, everyone on this site. :lol:

Oh come on, I just bought 3 decks of UNO cards for future shows! You gotta be kidding me!

jd091
10-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Oh come on, I just bought 3 decks of UNO cards for future shows! You gotta be kidding me!

Rose Funoral sold an EPIC 652 records for their new album's first week debut! Gonna be doing some massive touring for that!

GarageMetal468
10-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Rose Funoral sold an EPIC 652 records for their new album's first week debut! Gonna be doing some massive touring for that!

Yeah but now I can be arrested for playing UNO during their set!

Indestructible
10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
I understand from Ravenheart that England's rules of free speech do not reach into allowing you say inflammatory things to incite rage, hate, anger, or violence in people. I personally wish the United States would adopt this due in part to the West Boro Church who picket the funerals of dead soldiers with signs reading "GOD HATES FAGS", etc.

We have the right to free speech everywhere. Not just in America, not just in England but everywhere. We are born with those rights. You can say whatever you want no matter how hateful it maybe. Even if someones speech incites violence no one can do anything about it until they actually do something violent. Your rights can only be turned into privleges if you cause physical harm to someone. Do I agree with people who incite violence or the things the West Boro Church has said? No. But I can't stop them from saying the things they say.

jd091
10-05-2011, 01:41 PM
I personally wish the United States would adopt this due in part to the West Boro Church who picket the funerals of dead soldiers with signs reading "GOD HATES FAGS", etc.

I pray you never hold a position of power in our government. Ever. That was just a fucking retarded thing to say.

We are born with those rights. You can say whatever you want no matter how hateful it maybe.

I can actually see what you're getting at here, but I can't get behind it. That's a very black-and-white, immature way of looking at the world. Let's be pragmatic: we aren't born with shit. Our laws we've been raised up on and live under give us those rights. Of course, I'm kind of a nihilistic bastard, so take that as you will. ;)

JRA
10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
I pray you never hold a position of power in our government. Ever. That was just a fucking retarded thing to say.

Not really.

IrritatedTrout
10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
The idea has it's merits. Not to say that I personally agree with it but there are many 'free' places where certain things you say can be punishable by law. I'm living in one right now and I personally don't feel that it's much different from the freedom of speech we have in America. Yes, I prefer the American model but I don't think Logan's idea is anything close to retarded.

I can actually see what you're getting at here, but I can't get behind it. That's a very black-and-white, immature way of looking at the world. Let's be pragmatic: we aren't born with shit. Our laws we've been raised up on and live under give us those rights. Of course, I'm kind of a nihilistic bastard, so take that as you will. ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head. You could argue that we are indeed born with the inalienable human right to the freedom of speech but even so it's clear that the laws we create are what actually allow us to utilize those rights, be they inalienable or no.

jd091
10-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Not really.

Yes, I prefer the American model but I don't think Logan's idea is anything close to retarded.

Logan hasn't commented here; that was Butcher of Birth.

Come on; I don't care how much you hate them, those Westboro people have every right to do that, and should have that right. It's what's made this country great for so long, and the second you limit that right for anyone (aka, the shit we did to our speech rights in WWI), you go against the most essential values this country holds.

/rant

IrritatedTrout
10-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Hint: there's only one real Logan, no offense to loganarchy intended.

JRA
10-05-2011, 03:35 PM
If you want to post your feelings against our troops, and do so in a method that conveys your anger:

http://buffalobeast.com/126/Fuck.the.troops.Ian.Murphy.html

That is a much better (and expressive) method of doing it. But protesting a funeral? That's just classless.

Indestructible
10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Come on; I don't care how much you hate them, those Westboro people have every right to do that, and should have that right. It's what's made this country great for so long, and the second you limit that right for anyone (aka, the shit we did to our speech rights in WWI), you go against the most essential values this country holds.

/rant

This country lost those values long ago.

idrinkwine732
10-05-2011, 03:59 PM
The First Amendment was not established to have you be able to say whatever you want whenever you want. That's the modern interpretation of it, but that's not what it should be.

Indestructible
10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
If you want to post your feelings against our troops, and do so in a method that conveys your anger:

http://buffalobeast.com/126/Fuck.the.troops.Ian.Murphy.html

That is a much better (and expressive) method of doing it. But protesting a funeral? That's just classless.

I don't blame the troops for anything, they were decived just like the rest of us. I abhor war but I support anyone who would do what they think is right to defend their country. Problem is they were trapped in the lie, the real enemy is not overseas but here at home. If you want to fight an enemy don't go over seas killing other troops just as innocent as you. Stay home, help restore law and freedom back to America. Help bring us back to the founding principles that started this country and made it great. That is how you bring down the enemy, don't fight wars use peace. We have a chance to do this, and our goals will not be short lived like the founders were. We have a chance to bring this country back to freedom and keep it forever.

BloodoftheKings
10-05-2011, 04:55 PM
After reading that article me and my friend decided if we ever start a grindcore band were calling it Autistic Alcoholic.

SomewhereInTime72
10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
The fact that someone can get arrested just for being a douche is probably one of the worst things ever.

jd091
10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
The fact that someone can get arrested just for being a douche is probably one of the worst things ever.

^ What I'm trying to get at.

And seriously, my man Indestructible, I've been here for a couple years and all, and you're a nice guy and never a dick like some other bros here, but you never fail to amaze me on how you think you know how the world works. :tp:

IrritatedTrout
10-06-2011, 02:47 AM
After reading that article me and my friend decided if we ever start a grindcore band were calling it Autistic Alcoholic.

A+ Would read again.:bliss:

BloodoftheKings
10-06-2011, 06:15 AM
A+ Would read again.:bliss:

I know technically he has Aspergers but Autism and Aspergers are basically the same thing. It's just what we though of, not trying to completely base it off the article.

larvtard
10-06-2011, 06:17 AM
I know technically he has Aspergers but Autism and Aspergers are basically the same thing

Not true at all.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 06:38 AM
We have the right to free speech everywhere. Not just in America, not just in England but everywhere. We are born with those rights. You can say whatever you want no matter how hateful it maybe. Even if someones speech incites violence no one can do anything about it until they actually do something violent. Your rights can only be turned into privleges if you cause physical harm to someone. Do I agree with people who incite violence or the things the West Boro Church has said? No. But I can't stop them from saying the things they say.

Wrong, as always.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 06:41 AM
I don't blame the troops for anything, they were decived just like the rest of us. I abhor war but I support anyone who would do what they think is right to defend their country. Problem is they were trapped in the lie, the real enemy is not overseas but here at home. If you want to fight an enemy don't go over seas killing other troops just as innocent as you. Stay home, help restore law and freedom back to America. Help bring us back to the founding principles that started this country and made it great. That is how you bring down the enemy, don't fight wars use peace. We have a chance to do this, and our goals will not be short lived like the founders were. We have a chance to bring this country back to freedom and keep it forever.

Are you running for governor or something?

Indestructible
10-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Wrong, as always.

Actually Im not seeing as no one can infrigne on your rights. Well they can infringe on your rights if you don't know what your rights are like so many in this country and probably the rest of the world. But if you want to be enslaved letting people tell you what you are allowed to say and not allowed to say, fine by me, I will not follow.

Maiden33
10-06-2011, 07:12 AM
We have the right to free speech everywhere. Not just in America, not just in England but everywhere. We are born with those rights. You can say whatever you want no matter how hateful it maybe. Even if someones speech incites violence no one can do anything about it until they actually do something violent. Your rights can only be turned into privleges if you cause physical harm to someone.

This is a nice sentiment, but it's complete bullshit.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Actually Im not seeing as no one can infrigne on your rights. Well they can infringe on your rights if you don't know what your rights are like so many in this country and probably the rest of the world. But if you want to be enslaved letting people tell you what you are allowed to say and not allowed to say, fine by me, I will not follow.

Changing your point after bring wrong? How unlike you.

This wasn't your point. Your point was that no one can do anything about saying things which incite violence, and you're wrong. It is illegal to incite hatred and violence in this country and you can be prosecuted and jailed for it.

IrritatedTrout
10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Actually Im not seeing as no one can infrigne on your rights.

Go to Iran and tell them in Farsi that Islam sucks ass. See if you still believe that no one can infringe on your rights. I bet the Ayatollah will see the situation differently. :tp:

I love the freedom of speech just as much as the next guy but your worldview is so unrealistic that it hurts.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Even in America, can you, for example, go into your office and openly say rascist or sexcist things about your sub-ordinates or co-workers?

Freedom of speech absolutely does not mean you can say anything you please.

Maiden33
10-06-2011, 07:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWiBt-pqp0E

IrritatedTrout
10-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Even in America, can you, for example, go into your office and openly say rascist or sexcist things about your sub-ordinates or co-workers?

Freedom of speech absolutely does not mean you can say anything you please.

I mean, you can. The government won't do anything but there are obviously still consequences that don't involve the government. Your ass would be fired in a second.

Butcher of Birth
10-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Hint: there's only one real Logan, no offense to loganarchy intended.

This better mean what I think it means... :flame:

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 07:32 AM
I mean, you can. The government won't do anything but there are obviously still consequences that don't involve the government. Your ass would be fired in a second.

You couldn't be lawfully sued by the target of the comments?

IrritatedTrout
10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
This better mean what I think it means... :flame:

It means you're the one who gets called Logan, that other guys name is Ben anyways I'm pretty sure.:lol:

Ravenheart, I believe you could but it wouldn't be a criminal case, it would be a civil case.

I think.:eyes:

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 08:29 AM
It means you're the one who gets called Logan, that other guys name is Ben anyways I'm pretty sure.:lol:

Ravenheart, I believe you could but it wouldn't be a criminal case, it would be a civil case.

Interesting.... still shows you can't say what you want without reprimand though.

jd091
10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Interesting point with the "saying sexist or racist things at work" argument. Of course, you would most likely be fired, but face legal action and/or jail time? Never. Which is why this case confuses me so much.

BloodoftheKings
10-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Not true at all.

I thought aspergers is considered a form of autism. They have many of the same traits.

Epidemic Reign
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Try walking into an American airport and saying the word "bomb". Instant jailtime, guaranteed :lol:

illuminatus917
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Try walking into an American airport and saying the word "bomb". Instant jailtime, guaranteed :lol:

I've done that. And I've said "terrorist" and pointed to my friend who looks like a terrorist. No jail time for me.

Butcher of Birth
10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I've done that. And I've said "terrorist" and pointed to my friend who looks like a terrorist. No jail time for me.

That's because no one cares about you in public.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I thought aspergers is considered a form of autism. They have many of the same traits.

Aspergers IS a form of autism. Autism is a scale, and Aspergers is one end of it. But you can't just say "Autism = Aspergers", because the range of Autism is so vast.

ravenheart
10-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Interesting point with the "saying sexist or racist things at work" argument. Of course, you would most likely be fired, but face legal action and/or jail time? Never. Which is why this case confuses me so much.

You would be guaranteed to face legal action here. Probably not jail time though. Unless it were an extreme case of harassment.

jd091
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Well, that's different. :tp:

SomewhereInTime72
10-07-2011, 03:59 AM
That's because no one cares about you in public.

:lol: :lol: :lol: