PDA

View Full Version : Apocalyptica -- Moscow, Russia -- October 1st, 2011

brutal_descent
10-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Kind of a boring show. Regret going, would've rather stayed home or something. :tp:

Apocalyptica

On the Rooftop With Quasimodo
Grace
Master of Puppets (Metallica)
End Of Me *
I'm Not Jesus *
Quutamo
Sacra
Beautiful
Nothing Else Matters (Metallica)
Last Hope
Fisheye
Seek & Destroy (Metallica)
Inquisition Symphony (Sepultura)

At the Gates of Manala
I Don't Care *
Hall of the Mountain King
Farewell

* Tipe Johnson on vocals.

brutal_descent
10-01-2011, 01:05 PM
A few words on Apocalyptica and whatnot:

If you ask me, I think I went to this because I wanted to see whether they were worth all the hype they get - which they weren't. The concept of a symphonic metal band with only cellos is a gimmick, just as prepostourous as Ghost dressing up as Satanic priests or Gwar dressing up as intergalactic terrorists. While they do have talent (believe me, they can play some beautiful pieces) their music is only metal in that they play covers of bands such as Sepultura and Metallica. The songs with vocals (most of which I'm assuming are from the new album) have RIDICULOUS lyrics. Were they to get their cellos replaced by standard instruments, their music/lyrical content would be just like Skillet's or any other mainstream rock band's. The crowd (full of goths) was pretty disappointing, especially when they couldn't remember the lyrics to Master of Puppets aside from the chorus.

Anyway, unless you're a HUGE fan of the band, I wouldn't recommend going - especially if you only listen to their cover albums like I do.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree with almost everything you said. Except Ghost have the talent to back up the ridiculous gimmick. Writing a catchy pop song about human sacrifice is no easy task.

brutal_descent
10-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree with almost everything you said. Except Ghost have the talent to back up the ridiculous gimmick. Writing a catchy pop song about human sacrifice is no easy task.

True. I saw Ghost at a festival this past June and they were great - I disagree with whatever ravenheart has to say about their live performances. Gwar were pretty fun live as well, but I'd never listen to them on CD. Nevertheless, Ghost's costumes are still a gimmick whether they make good music or not. The image of the Priest (frontman) is probably burned in everyone's mind, when you think of Ghost, you think of the Priest's costume and badass facepaint.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
10-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Oh, definitely. I wish they'd head back to the states. I think they use the gimmick to their benefit. Much like GWAR, there's a huge tongue-in-cheek factor to it.

brutal_descent
10-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Oh, definitely. I wish they'd head back to the states. I think they use the gimmick to their benefit. Much like GWAR, there's a huge tongue-in-cheek factor to it.

I think them cancelling their tour with Enslaved just adds to the mysterious atmosphere they've created for themselves.

jd091
10-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I saw these guys at Rock on the Range a couple years ago, and really enjoyed them. Maybe because I've played the cello since 4th grade? I go to classical concerts all the time and love 'em.

I will say it pissed me off how they play standing up. Do you realize how fucking SHITTY your posture is for playing cello standing up? It's just stupid. A gimmick. If they were serious musicians about it, they would sit down and play well.

Magson13
10-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Apocalyptica is great live. Who cares if the songs are "metal?" Music is either good or not. And the vocals aren't even their own singer, they were all written by the various guests they brought in. The crowd shouldn't be expected to know Metallica vocals either, because they're not at a Metallica show.

velvetgrass
10-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Apocalyptica is great live. Who cares if the songs are "metal?" Music is either good or not. And the vocals aren't even their own singer, they were all written by the various guests they brought in. The crowd shouldn't be expected to know Metallica vocals either, because they're not at a Metallica show.

I agree with you that Apocalyptica should be judged on their great live performances, not if they're metal enough.

But I'm shocked to hear that the crowd didn't know the full lyrics to Master Of Puppets. I mean the whole first Apocalyptica album contains all Metallica covers, plus there are Metallica covers on their next two albums. Even if they didn't know Metallica when they got into Apocalyptica why would someone just be satisfied hearing a symphonic metal cover version? Not dissing Apocalyptica at all, love them and have all their albums. Just personally when I get an album I enjoy that has a cover song, I feel the need to hear the original for comparison and contrast. To be honest, I got into Metallica, Faith No More, AND Pantera because of the great Apocalyptica cover versions.

GarageMetal468
10-01-2011, 11:13 PM
I think them cancelling their tour with Enslaved just adds to the mysterious atmosphere they've created for themselves.

Well it was confirmed that the singer of Ghost is the frontman of Repugnant.

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 12:38 AM
I think two of you above seem to misunderstand. I said myself that at a classical sense, I enjoyed their performance. But I came to the show to hear METAL. Not pseudo-classical music.

MPF
10-02-2011, 12:44 AM
I think two of you above seem to misunderstand. I said myself that at a classical sense, I enjoyed their performance. But I came to the show to hear METAL. Not pseudo-classical music.

The band is 4 Cellos and a drummer. What did you expect? Distortion, Growls, and Blast beats?

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 12:49 AM
The band is 4 Cellos and a drummer. What did you expect? Distortion, Growls, and Blast beats?

Maybe blast beats ;)

No, but most of it wasn't even symphonic metal, just "look at me I know music theory" pieces. The covers and two of their own songs later on in the set were the only songs that sounded metal whatsoever.

MPF
10-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Maybe blast beats ;)

No, but most of it wasn't even symphonic metal, just "look at me I know music theory" pieces. The covers and two of their own songs later on in the set were the only songs that sounded metal whatsoever.

Haha.

I knew them originally only for their Metallica covers, then their original stuff, so I guess I knew what to expect from these guys. I kinda dig it. It gets old after a while, but good in small doses.

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Haha.

I knew them originally only for their Metallica covers, then their original stuff, so I guess I knew what to expect from these guys. I kinda dig it. It gets old after a while, but good in small doses.

Small doses shouldn't cost the price of entry they had last night. :hecho:

MPF
10-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Small doses shouldn't cost the price of entry they had last night. :hecho:

Probably why I have yet to see them live.

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Probably why I have yet to see them live.

Apocalyptica come to Russia every year, and they play different venues every time. Last year they played at a fairly large club, and last night they played at some huge concert hall that's usually used for classical concerts. Needless to say, the price went up by a lot.

MPF
10-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Apocalyptica come to Russia every year, and they play different venues every time. Last year they played at a fairly large club, and last night they played at some huge concert hall that's usually used for classical concerts. Needless to say, the price went up by a lot.

They come here almost every year too. Just never made an effort to see them. Your review is a big reason why.

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 01:18 AM
They come here almost every year too. Just never made an effort to see them. Your review is a big reason why.

You call that a review? Just a brief complaint/rant. :lol:

MPF
10-02-2011, 01:19 AM
You call that a review? Just a brief complaint/rant. :lol:

Trying to give you some positive energy is all. :D

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Trying to give you some positive energy is all. :D

Awh, thanks. :hug:

MPF
10-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Awh, thanks. :hug:

No problem. I do what I can. :rocker:

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 01:56 AM
No problem. I do what I can. :rocker:

What ever happened to that radio show you were going to dedicate to me? :bawling:

IrritatedTrout
10-02-2011, 02:08 AM
A gimmick band turned out to suck? What a shock.;)

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 02:10 AM
A gimmick band turned out to suck? What a shock.;)

Hey, Ghost and Gwar kicked ass when I saw them. :nonono:

Magson13
10-02-2011, 02:16 AM
I saw Apocalyptica earlier this year, and I went because I wanted to hear the classical style, but with a metal twist on it. Sure, it's not metal at all.... But it's got that classical style, with a harder edge to it. It's an acquired taste, honestly. Not everyone will like it, but those who do, really love it. But if you went to an Apocalyptica show, expecting to hear metal.... You obviously haven't listened to them much, and that's just... kinda your fault. Not really anything wrong with that, you just went to a show thinking they were one style of music, but they were another.

Apocalyptica is way more than a Metallica cover band now. People don't go to their shows for the Metallica covers. Their fans are more into their original pieces, and the general sound they have. The covers they do now are mostly for their own fun, since that's how they started off.

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 02:18 AM
I saw Apocalyptica earlier this year, and I went because I wanted to hear the classical style, but with a metal twist on it. Sure, it's not metal at all.... But it's got that classical style, with a harder edge to it. It's an acquired taste, honestly. Not everyone will like it, but those who do, really love it. But if you went to an Apocalyptica show, expecting to hear metal.... You obviously haven't listened to them much, and that's just... kinda your fault. Not really anything wrong with that, you just went to a show thinking they were one style of music, but they were another.

Apocalyptica is way more than a Metallica cover band now. People don't go to their shows for the Metallica covers. Their fans are more into their original pieces, and the general sound they have. The covers they do now are mostly for their own fun, since that's how they started off.

While you may be right about me not checking out their catalog enough before going, by no means did I not expect classical pieces. I just wasn't expecting SO MUCH of it to be classical.

I spent five years in a music conservatory, so I do like what they're playing when they aren't covering Master of Puppets, but that said, I was hoping for a bit more of metal rather than classical music.

jd091
10-02-2011, 02:34 AM
I spent five years in a music conservatory

cool story

Magson13
10-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Apocalyptica is a classical style band. And apparently, it works for them. Metalheads expecting a metal show buy tickets, without looking into their discography. Same can be said for their album with all the guest singers... They get these rock radio fans to buy tickets based on these few songs they heard on the radio. I can't blame them for it, gotta pay the bills somehow. And classical doesn't cut it these days lol....

brutal_descent
10-02-2011, 02:41 AM
cool story

Hey, I spilled blood, tears, and sweat learning music theory! :nag:

JuuKun
10-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I dunno, guys. I'll always see them as a metal band, and I don't get that "so much" of the set was classical as opposed to metal:

At the Gates of Manala (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kpd0KxXvFY)
Quutamo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0t-KRApDLs)
2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGQ4rpOKEAI)
Last Hope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9502OhMe7Q)

Are they strictly metal songs? No. But I'd probably say the only songs in that set that aren't really metal at all are Beautiful and Sacra.

Dextrimental
10-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Seems you let your pre-conceptions dictate your enjoyment of the show. Apocalyptica are a gimmick to the metal world, but they're very good outside of that, in the classical world. Personally, I'd love to see them someday, the idea of hearing some amazing classical melodies coupled with some modern metal is really cool to me.

larvtard
10-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Lincoln, you're a retard :lol: why would you go see Apocalyptica to hear metal? They play classical :lol:

666ways2love
10-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm a huge fan of these guys and try and see them every time they come to the states. I started listening to them back in high school because they did string versions of Metallica songs. But once I delved into their discography I found myself skipping the Metallica covers when they came on my ipod. Their original arrangements are amazing. Very rarely, if at all, would I consider them a "metal" band. I can never see myself moshing to their music. Casual headbanging, yes.

For those who expected to see a metal show, listen to the song 'Bring Them To Light' off their new album. Joe from Gojira sings on it and it is amazing

Also, someone mentioned they didn't like how the guys stand up while playing. They do sit down during more melodic songs. It would be really weird if they were playing something fast and heavy and sitting down. However, up until just a year or so ago, they had their session cellist, Antero Manninen, come on tour. Antero is a true classic cellist. He would sit and play the whole show.