PDA

View Full Version : Dio Disciples -- Springfield, VA -- Spetember 24th, 2011

tenchimyo
09-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Went to see DIO DISCIPLES at JAXX last night. Openers were BLOODLINES (local band, we only caught a couple songs), A SOUND OF THUNDER (local band, female vocalist with a POWERFUL voice), and DISCIPLES OF SABBATH (Ozzy-era BLACK SABBATH tribute band). Quite frankly I don't know why they didn't get The Maiden Project (who I thought were...less than impressive) or some other cover band and just make it a huge cover band night...

Bloondlines sounded alright, no real thoughts about them as we didn't hear much. I thought A Sound of Thunder was going to open. Glad they didn't, cause we wanted to see them

A Sound of Thunder came on shortly after, and were way louder than the previous band. Probably about 10 or so people on the floor for them. I liked their set, tho I should have brushed up on the material a bit more. Favourite part was when the vocalist (Nina) demanded a whip (cat o' nine tails like) from a roadie and used it to threaten (mockingly) the guitar player into producing a solo.

Disciples of Sabbath (I don't know which band had the name first or if it was just a coincidence, but it seemed kind of lame to have 2 'Disciples of...' bands on the same bill. Where are the 'Disciples of UDO'?) came on next as we were at the bar devouring mozzarella sticks and a long island ice tea with too much sour mix. I heard Sweet Leaf come on so I demanded we egress to see how they were. They sounded good, sound wise (nice sentence..) and the guy sounded Ozzy esque, and the guitars were pretty spot on, but there was something a bit off. The vocalist flubbed a few lyrics and after every song he had some complaint to the sound board dude. By Children of the Grave they had the mix he wanted.... then was told they could only do one more song. Problem? I think one intoxicated gentleman there summed it up best: he could sing those songs while drunk and it'd been 20 years since he'd familiarized himself completely with them. Iffy, but overall decent.

Dio Disciples came on after a little longer. Crowd seemed damn excited which was great. They started out strong and really didn't let up (or give me a break) until Catch the Rainbow. Toby Jepson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Jepson)- who I am not familiar with and assumed he sang in some European band based on his sound and chops- came in before/for Kill the King and I thought sounded better than Ripper Owens. They alternated leads and sang together at some times. I really don't recall the specifics of who sang what part, but it all sounded good to me. I loved how they pulled out some deep cuts (read: The Shed (subtle)!!!, Magica, Lord of the Last Day, All the Fools Sailed Away). Hell and all the Rainbow stuff. Loved it. I knew they were going to play Heaven and Hell, and could have done without it, but how could they NOT play it?

If you enjoy Dio, Dio-era Sabbath , or RAINBOW, then I'd def recommend you see these dudes. I thought it was a GREAT show

I thought the Merch was kind of lame: Big Foam DIO hands, Dio baseball caps(would have gotten if I didn't have a Maiden one already), some shirt. Crowd at the end of the night was less than 100 people but more than like 60... I was kind of entranced with the show to give a more accurate count.

Bloodlines

Proud Mary
Rise up?

A Sound of Thunder

Exorcist/Tubular Bells intro
Walls
The Murderous Horde
Blood Vomit
The Day I Die
The Devil in Disguise
Whip induced solo (w/ Balls to the Wall, Mob Rules snippets)
Into the Darkness
A Sound of Thunder

Disciples of Sabbath

Sweet Leaf
Supernaut (w/ a drum solo?)
Blak Sabbath
After Forever
Children of the Grave
Paranoid

Dio Disciples

Holy Diver Live Intro
Stand up and Shout
HOLY DIVER
Don't Talk to Strangers (drum solo at end)
THE SHED (SUBTLE)
Kill the King (Toby Jensen came out here)
Egypt (The Chains are on)
Guitar solo into
Catch the Rainbow into
Stargazer
Mob Rules
Magica Intro
Lord of the Last Day (partial) into
All the Fools Sailed Away
Last in Line
Long Live Rock and Roll
Man on the Silver Mountain
Heaven and Hell
-----------
Rainbow in the Dark
We Rock

dcmetal108
09-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Good to hear about this. I got free tickets to the Chicago show Thursday so might check it out. They were just giving the tickets away too.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the set list. I'm looking forward to seeing this in Dallas in a few weeks.

:rocker:

ravenheart
09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
:lol: Toby Jepson sang for Little Angels, and currently sings for Fastway with Eddie Clarke from Motorhead.

He never sounded as good with them as he does with Dio Disciples though.

tenchimyo
09-26-2011, 05:50 AM
Good to hear about this. I got free tickets to the Chicago show Thursday so might check it out. They were just giving the tickets away too.

FREE??? Totes worth it if you dig DIO! Must be nice! I think they were perhaps overcharging a bit (25@ day of show), when the next night a different venue in Baltimore tickets were $15 (but different support acts)... I think I got my money's worth, no doubt- but that's a pretty big price difference, no?

tenchimyo
09-26-2011, 05:52 AM
:lol: Toby Jepson sang for Little Angels, and currently sings for Fastway with Eddie Clarke from Motorhead.

He never sounded as good with them as he does with Dio Disciples though.
Yeah I def had to google Toby, cause I had only inklings of who he could be-!

ravenheart
09-26-2011, 06:09 AM
FREE??? Totes worth it if you dig DIO! Must be nice! I think they were perhaps overcharging a bit (25@ day of show), when the next night a different venue in Baltimore tickets were $15 (but different support acts)... I think I got my money's worth, no doubt- but that's a pretty big price difference, no?

Tickets were 25 here. That's about $40. So, you know, fuck you all ;)

tenchimyo
09-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Tickets were 25 here. That's about $40. So, you know, fuck you all ;)

LOL well I can't complain about that now, can I :3

ravenheart
09-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Still totally worth it. Such an awesome show.

I bought the shirt too. Our shirts were pretty cool.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-26-2011, 08:25 AM
I think the tickets for the Dallas show are $16. Definitely worth it.

Also, count me as another person who had never heard of Toby Jepson before this.

dcmetal108
09-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I went to a video store and they just had them on the counter trying to get people to take them. So I took them all.

And thats the same way I got my free Mr.Big tickets although that was at a Hot Topic that they were giving them away at.

jhdeity
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Had I seen that setlist I would have definitely gone to the Baltimore show. All the Fools Sailed Away is one of my favorite Dio songs.

ravenheart
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
It's mostly only English people who know who he is.

Also, free tickets in stores? What the fuck is that?

ravenheart
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Had I seen that setlist I would have definitely gone to the Baltimore show. All the Fools Sailed Away is one of my favorite Dio songs.

Crap excuse. You should have gone anyway.

tenchimyo
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
I went to a video store and they just had them on the counter trying to get people to take them. So I took them all.

And thats the same way I got my free Mr.Big tickets although that was at a Hot Topic that they were giving them away at.

1) You took ALL of them!?
2) OMFG free tickets
3) MR BIG AT HOT TOPIC!??!?! was it related to the Anime theme song they did..(Shine)?

tenchimyo
09-26-2011, 11:52 AM

I am wondering if they played the same setlist on Sunday (Tho I think its a safe bet to say they did). No idea :( maybe some kind soul will enlighten us

Hell I almost went on Sunday too

dcmetal108
09-27-2011, 11:47 AM
1) You took ALL of them!?
2) OMFG free tickets
3) MR BIG AT HOT TOPIC!??!?! was it related to the Anime theme song they did..(Shine)?

1)YES
2)YES!
3)And Yes.

And they give free tickets away to some shows at House Of Blues when tickets dont sell. So you get this free ticket then have to redeem at box office. It helps fill the place up.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I think the tickets for the Dallas show are $16. Definitely worth it.

Also, count me as another person who had never heard of Toby Jepson before this.

The Dallas show was the same set list.

I was wondering before the show why they needed two singers. I figured Jepson was superfluous. That was until he started into Stargazer. Simply amazing. Very glad I went. I'd love to see them again. Maybe add a few more Dio/Sabbath deeper cuts next time.

Video clip of Stand up and Shout I recorded. (http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2503604032522)