PDA

View Full Version : Primus -- Boston, MA -- September 23rd, 2011

BloodoftheKings
09-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Not sure if anyone here went to this show but if you did I would like to see a show review. I found the set on setlist.fm.

Set 1:
1. Here Come the Bastards
2. Wynona's Big Brown Beaver
3. Groundhog's Day
4. Cosmic Highway Tease
5. Frizzle Fry
6. Over The Falls
7. American Life
8. Jerry Was A Race Car Driver
9. Over the Electric Grapevine

Set 2: (Green Naugahyde in it's entirety)
10. Prelude to a Crawl/Hennepin Crawler
11. Last Salmon Man
12. Eternal Consumption Engine
13. Tragedy's a' Comin'
14. Eyes of the Squirrel
15. Jilly's on Smack
16. Lee Van Cleef
17. Moron TV
18. Green Ranger
19. HOINFODAMAN
20. Extinction Burst/Salmon Men

Encore:
21. To Defy the Laws of Tradition
22. Tommy the Cat

I had a good feeling they were going to play Green Naugahyde in it's entirety when I heard it's an evening with tour. This set is pretty great but since next week is gonna be my first Primus show i'm gonna be a little disappointed if I don't hear John the Fisherman, Too Many Puppies, and My Name is Mud. It's so weird that they're leaving out their biggest songs.

MPF
09-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Wow. They are doing Wynona again. They haven't done that since since the Beating A Dead Horse tour. (the only time I got to see them, I won tickets)

Sounds like a killer show.

converge241
09-23-2011, 10:31 PM
ugh the new album forced through in the middle

aside - so happy got to see Sausage play "Toys Go Winding Down" on their tour opening for Helmet and ROllins back in the day

street_burial
09-23-2011, 10:39 PM
south park theme song or not worth seeing :D

adamclark52
09-23-2011, 10:42 PM
If Cosmic Highway Tease isn't from the new album, what album is it from?

On a side note, set 1 is pretty awesome, too bad I think set 2 would drain me (not a fan of the new album) before closing nice with set 3.

toolfansat
09-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I just got home from the show.
It was a really good show - but... the new stuff, while good, was unfamiliar to almost everyone, so they kinda lost the crowd with it. Closing with Tommy the Cat was insane (in a good way!). No "My Name is Mud"... odd...

ShatteredFlame
09-24-2011, 12:44 AM
This set is pretty great but since next week is gonna be my first Primus show i'm gonna be a little disappointed if I don't hear John the Fisherman, Too Many Puppies, and My Name is Mud. It's so weird that they're leaving out their biggest songs.

they left these out at the Brooklyn show last year, felt very weird. They would change their setlist up every night though so they probably will with this tour.

Magson13
09-24-2011, 01:38 AM
22 songs total, for a two set show is kinda short imo. They're playing a venue a couple hours from me on Monday, and the venue is promoting it as "2 Long Sets." I would think at least 15 songs per set would be needed for the adjective "Long" to be used.

scouinci
09-24-2011, 03:06 PM
nothing form pork soda makes me sad

BloodoftheKings
09-24-2011, 07:48 PM
If Cosmic Highway Tease isn't from the new album, what album is it from?

It's a song from Les Claypool's solo album Purple Onion. I'm not sure why they're doing part of it at a Primus show.

BloodoftheKings
09-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't think the show is over but tonight Maryland they played a completely different first set.

To Defy the Laws of Tradition
Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread
The Pressman
Seas of Cheese
John the Fisherman
Southbound Pachyderm
My Name Is Mud
Bob
Harold of the Rocks

:drool::wow:

adamclark52
09-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't think the show is over but tonight Maryland they played a completely different first set.

To Defy the Laws of Tradition
Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread
The Pressman
Seas of Cheese
John the Fisherman
Southbound Pachyderm
My Name Is Mud
Bob
Harold of the Rocks

:drool::wow:

These are both some solid fucking sets for the old school fans.

Magson13
09-24-2011, 09:51 PM
It's a song from Les Claypool's solo album Purple Onion. I'm not sure why they're doing part of it at a Primus show.

Bands play covers all the time.

ShatteredFlame
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
22 songs total, for a two set show is kinda short imo. They're playing a venue a couple hours from me on Monday, and the venue is promoting it as "2 Long Sets." I would think at least 15 songs per set would be needed for the adjective "Long" to be used.

Primus like to improvise live and add more to the song then what's on the record, minutes of more material. Kinda got annoying when I saw them actually, but that's just me.

adamclark52
09-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Primus like to improvise live and add more to the song then what's on the record. Kinda got annoying when I saw them actually, but that's just me.

They've somehow become a jam-band. Tommy the Cat live alone is upwards of ten minutes.

BloodoftheKings
09-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Encore from tonight's show:
Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
Pudding Time

:rocker::rocker::rocker::eek::drool::bowdown:

adamclark52
09-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Encore from tonight's show:
Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers
Pudding Time

:rocker::rocker::rocker::eek::drool::bowdown:

I'm starting to wonder if I should go see them again. I haven't really been a fan since Anti-Pop but these setlists are stellar. The whole new album set thing is what isn't selling me at all.

BloodoftheKings
09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I should go see them again. I haven't really been a fan since Anti-Pop but these setlists are stellar. The whole new album set thing is what isn't selling me at all.

Have you heard the new album? It's great.

bobbie solo
09-25-2011, 02:01 AM
theyre probably more jammy now bc of Les being entrenched in that scene for years now with Oysterhead and such.

toolfansat
09-25-2011, 05:15 AM
They've somehow become a jam-band. Tommy the Cat live alone is upwards of ten minutes.

6:33 by my calculations!

http://youtu.be/s0KLbBL0CYo

smearCampaign
09-25-2011, 07:40 AM
:confused: Why are people surprised that the first set is going to change each night and that Primus adds extended jams to their songs? This is nothing new.

And the new record is great.

adamclark52
09-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Have you heard the new album? It's great.

I've heard bits and pieces but Primus and Les Claypool in general are just something I can't get into anymore. 15 years ago they were probably in my top 3 bands, but as the years have gone on and my tastes have gotten heavier I'm just not too much into them. Really, I'd just go for nostalgia purposes but ticket prices are so high in Toronto sometimes that $60 for nostalgia is just too much.

Frankthetank727
09-26-2011, 09:15 PM

Dude they jam everything, the show was nearly 3 hours. What more could you ask for?

Magson13
09-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Apparently everyone exceot me knew Primus has become a jam band?

I don't care for jam bands. Not my thing, never was, never will be. Closest thing to a jam band that I can stand is Clutch. Besides that, I want my songs between three and five minutes long, then move along to the next one.

Natrlhi
12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
:confused: Why are people surprised that the first set is going to change each night and that Primus adds extended jams to their songs? This is nothing new.

And the new record is great.This. Every fucking word of it.