Throat Of Winter
Credence
Patterns In The Ivy 2
Closure
Slither
A Fair Judgement
Hex Omega
Folklore

Weird set list. I was hoping they'd at least keep The Grand Conjuration in there. I'm seeing Opeth for the first time in a few days, and I was hoping they'd play a few heavier songs, although Face of Melinda is my favorite Opeth song, and Porcelain Heart isn't bad, either. Who knows? Maybe it'll change.

DethMaiden
09-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Ewwww. Fucking awful set!

GarageMetal468
09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
....... what the fuck is this shit.....

MPF
09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow. Mikael wasn't fucking kidding when he said he was sick of growling. Holy shit!

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm kind of surprised they've mellowed out this much...I mean, I expected a few songs off the new album and all, but in conjunction with the rest of the mellow material, this is kind of a disappointment.

cradle_of_maiden
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm a little disapointed. Not one growling song. I was really hoping for at least Deliverence or Serenity Painted Death :/

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
I'd kill someone to hear White Cluster played live.

ChildrenofSodom
09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
People who go to this show without looking up the setlist beforehand are going to be PISSSSEEEDDDDD.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Ewwww. Fucking awful set!

This.

slapguitarer
09-19-2011, 06:52 PM
No Master's Apprentices = Not disappointed I'm missing the show.

ShatteredFlame
09-19-2011, 07:11 PM
yeah I called it. Don't think I am going tomorrow.

MPF
09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
I gotta admit, I'm not sad anymore about missing this. It sounds like it should be a coffee shop tour.

ShatteredFlame
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Someone post Katatonia's set. Curious to see how that turned out.

Platinum Maze
09-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Opeth Unplugged. Glad I passed on the NYC show.

SO disappointed in the new album....

DethMaiden
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
IF NO ONE WANTS THIS WHY ARE THEY DOING IT

AND WHY ONLY ONE SONG FROM DAMNATION, THEIR SECOND BEST ALBUM AND A COMPLETELY DEATH METAL-FREE RELEASE?

:( :( :(

christopher
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
I want to go still. I was never too big on Opeth but I really dig their clean shit. If I don't work, then I'll hit it up. I do like the growls too, but the clean music was what I heard first...:eyes:

mankvill
09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
As someone who doesn't really listen to Opeth all that much, I'm pretty excited. I like their clean stuff more than their harsh stuff :D

ministryofadam
09-19-2011, 07:34 PM
I was so close to driving down to Worcester last minute for this show. Easily the worst setlist I've ever seen from them. Can't believe they didn't even play Demon of the Fall. It was between this or Kyuss and now I'm glad I decided on Kyuss.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-19-2011, 07:47 PM
The first Opeth song I ever heard was, "Death Whispered a Lullaby", so I like the clean stuff as much as the next guy...but this is just overkill.

I keep checking back with Setlist FM to see if anything changes. It looks like they just took off, "Closure"

SilentSoldier144
09-19-2011, 07:58 PM
It should be a sin to play a clean setlist and NOT play Harvest, just saying.

leglessmoof
09-19-2011, 07:59 PM
This will be my 8th Opeth show, and I've only ever heard one of those songs live before (Credence). And I really like Face of Melinda, Porcelain Heart, A Fair Judgement, and Hex Omega.

I can agree that the setlist would be better if they dropped one or two new songs in favor of some classics, but I'm not complaining either.

Epidemic Reign
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
At least they made good selections from the new album. I can live with this, although I prefer my Opeth heavy.

And yes, Kat set plz.

jd091
09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Wow. Mikael wasn't fucking kidding when he said he was sick of growling. Holy shit!

....... what the fuck is this shit.....

People who go to this show without looking up the setlist beforehand are going to be PISSSSEEEDDDDD.

Backed. Hard.

http://files.sharenator.com/wtf_is_this_shit_piccard_RE_Why_People_Hate_Hipste rs-s306x227-109368.jpg

THE FUCK

Rocco44
09-19-2011, 08:32 PM
Wow, fucking terrible. I should have waited until I heard the new album before I bought tickets for 2 shows lol. I love A Fair Judgment and Face Of Melinda though, so its not a total loss.

jd091
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Seriously, fuck this. I'm about 10 seconds away from selling my ticket and buying an After the Burial/Veil of Maya one for that night. I'd honestly have more fun.

Nothing but a rare soft extra track from the best album in the history of music.

And nothing off Ghost Reveries.

No Bleak. No Leper Affinity. No Deliverance. No Demon of the Fall. No Baying of the Hounds. No Ghost of Perdition. No Harlequin Forest. No Wreath. No When. No Night and the Silent Water. No Grand-fucking Conjuration.

http://www.cocorioko.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/crying.jpg

jd091
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Fucking christ, now the VIP tickets are sold out for After the Burial that day. I could have had side stage access for that whole show and been hanging out with all the bands for hours before the doors even opened, but no, since, you know, I thought Opeth was gonna play at least ONE SONG FROM MY TWO FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME.

Buried in Smoke
09-19-2011, 08:48 PM
I was there 2night...Different yet still fucking brilliant...They are true talents. If you're still looking for Death Metal, go to another gig....Expand your fucking minds people. There were kinks and it wasn't a perfect performance. But it was something to witness songs that have never been played before live....

jd091
09-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Expand your fucking minds people.

Alright man, you are just arrogant. They're my favorite band of all time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here. And you tell me to expand my mind when it comes to their music? Really? This is just a huge disservice to their fans with this set. At least call it "Opeth Unplugged" tour, so we knew what to expect before we bought our tickets.

/rant

DementedX14
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Kind of a disappointing setlist from Opeth, I wish they would play more from Damnation if they are doing clean only and include Patterns in the Ivy 1, Den ständiga resan and Harvest. But anyway, I want the Katatonia setllist.

treghet
09-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Mother of fuck that set is total shit. I'm looking forward to hearing the new stuff live, but cutting out all of their best songs is just... wtf.

larvtard
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't even listen to Opeth, so I have no idea what you guys are bitching about :lol:

maidenpriest
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Sadly I have to agree. I don't mind the focus on softer material but could've at least thrown in a couple growl songs. Ah well. Idk if I'm going anymore

jd091
09-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't even listen to Opeth, so I have no idea what you guys are bitching about :lol:

*slaps face* Start listening to them!

Mother of fuck that set is total shit. I'm looking forward to hearing the new stuff live, but cutting out all of their best songs is just... wtf.

It's bullshit is what it is.

mankvill
09-19-2011, 09:08 PM
>people still think Opeth was a legit death metal band in any sense of the genre

jd091
09-19-2011, 09:09 PM
And why the fuck are they playing Throat of Winter? Why? You tell me why. I need to know why.

maidenpriest
09-19-2011, 09:13 PM
And why the fuck are they playing Throat of Winter? Why? You tell me why. I need to know why.

Cause they hate you :P lol jk yeah idk either. Definitely a boring song.

xStructualDefect
09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I was debating on going but doubt I am now. While i do like their clean stuff i would have at least like to hear Deliverance, Ghost of Perdition, Demon of the Fall, etc.

maidenpriest
09-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Katatonia:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/katatonia/2011/the-palladium-worcester-ma-73d01e59.html

300%_Density
09-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Wow. Such strong feelings. You know you are popular when you get this kind of response for your setlist. I have seen Opeth 2x now and those are songs I've yet to see. I'm not going to complain. Somebody was gonna be disappointed regardless. If Mikael doesn't wanna growl like he did so what. Heavy or not, some these aren't songs played regularly. Mikael still growls. If you want your fix listen to Bloodbath.

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-19-2011, 09:38 PM
True, but that's because almost half the set is from the new album. Its Opeth, so I'm looking forward to it regardless, but I agree with most of the people here. Maybe its just because I haven't seen them before.

jd091
09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
>people still think Opeth was a legit death metal band in any sense of the genre

*punch*

Epidemic Reign
09-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Because God of War 3 sold more copies than Opeth's entire catalog :lol:

Katatonia:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/katatonia/2011/the-palladium-worcester-ma-73d01e59.html

Regardless of what Opeth does, this is worth the ticket price alone :party:

If you want your fix listen to Bloodbath.

Seconded ;)

Rocco44
09-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Wow. Such strong feelings. You know you are popular when you get this kind of response for your setlist. I have seen Opeth 2x now and those are songs I've yet to see. I'm not going to complain. Somebody was gonna be disappointed regardless. If Mikael doesn't wanna growl like he did so what. Heavy or not, some these aren't songs played regularly. Mikael still growls. If you want your fix listen to Bloodbath.

The problem is not that the setlist is without heavy songs, its that the songs are just not their best.

jd091
09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
The problem is not that the setlist is without heavy songs, its that the songs are just not their best.

Yep. I mean, I love the screams in songs like Blackwater Park, Bleak or the Night and the Silent Water, but I love the soft parts of those songs just as much if not more. :(

MPF
09-20-2011, 12:49 AM
For some reason its really scaring me that fucking Bonaroo may have been the last time Mikeal does screams...

Maideneer
09-20-2011, 03:25 AM
Looking forward to both NYC shows...I could care less what they are gonna play, it's Opeth just the same. I've seen every U.S. tour since Blackwater Park, so it's all been seen. Can't wait.

mastodon421
09-20-2011, 03:56 AM
I don't even like Opeth, but this thread is a comic gold mine.

AnataFan4Life
09-20-2011, 04:36 AM

This. I can respect Mikael wanting to go in a new direction musically (they are a progressive band after all), but to throw out all of their classic songs in the process is a bit of disservice to the fans, especially for people like me who are seeing them for the first time =(

I'm still going, but i'm not nearly as excited as I was before. Pretty much all of the songs I was hoping to finally hear are being completely avoided =/

beyondtheblack
09-20-2011, 04:41 AM
For God's sake, what are you all expecting? Of course there's not going to be any growling, this is the HERITAGE tour. Just sit back and appreciate this stage of Opeth's development as fully as they are so generous to present it.

girnny777
09-20-2011, 04:43 AM
I was supposed to go to this tonight for my friend's 21st birthday, but I have class until 8:30. After seeing this set, I'm not too upset anymore. Come on, 2 good songs? Really?

brutal_descent
09-20-2011, 04:45 AM
It should be a sin to play a clean setlist and NOT play Harvest, just saying.

This.

Hahah, I never thought the set I saw at Graspop would turn out to be better than this!

The Grand Conjuration
The Lotus Eater
Face of Melinda
Master's Apprentices
The Drapery Falls
Hex Omega

Maideneer
09-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Windowpane
In My Time Of Need
Death Whispered A Lullaby
Closure
Hope Leaves
To Rid The Disease
Weakness
Benighted
To Bid You Farewell
Soldier Of Fortune
Face Of Melinda

This is the set list I saw in 2003...Damnation tour, billed as such. Was everyone up in arms? No. If they were, they needed to learn a little patience. I've not yet heard the new album, will get it today.

Besides, I think it's so much fun and a relief to finally not end a set with Demon Of The Fall, or to give Deliverance a rest.

Patience folks, patience. Just go with it, everything you love circles back in the end.

DethMaiden
09-20-2011, 05:01 AM
The Damnation tour setlist is awesome, though. The problem isn't that this is all mellow, it's that they made shitty choices. I only like 5 songs in the setlist, and I am a huuuuuuge Opeth fan, clean stuff included.

Maideneer
09-20-2011, 05:03 AM
I thought the major hardcore (of which I am one) base thought "Opeth doesn't have bad songs". That's where my confusion lies.

Maideneer
09-20-2011, 05:08 AM
In any event, the NYC shows are the only "2-shows in 1-city" occurrences of the tour, so the set will change night to night. I'll post them both accurately unless someone beats me to it. This set has Closure on it, and that seems to be up for dispute now. Didn't anyone here go to this?

cradle_of_maiden
09-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Alright man, you are just arrogant. They're my favorite band of all time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here. And you tell me to expand my mind when it comes to their music? Really? This is just a huge disservice to their fans with this set. At least call it "Opeth Unplugged" tour, so we knew what to expect before we bought our tickets.

/rant

In order for it to be called unplugged they would have to play the entire set on acoustics and while all of the set list is sans death metal, im pretty sure all or most of the songs are them using their electrics.

VelvetHarry
09-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Super weak setlist.. ugh. Anyone have the Katatonia set from last night?

larvtard
09-20-2011, 05:42 AM
In order for it to be called unplugged they would have to play the entire set on acoustics and while all of the set list is sans death metal, im pretty sure all or most of the songs are them using their electrics.

:lol: No shit, dude... JD was just being a smartass ;)

ChildrenofSodom
09-20-2011, 05:42 AM

You've been saying this in every related thread. And the same response has come back: no one thinks they are a "death metal" band. But a lot of people, probably most of their fans, like the songs that have death metal elements. Mikael used to be in fucking Bloodbath for godsake, so you can't say there aren't death metal Opeth songs.

cradle_of_maiden
09-20-2011, 05:50 AM
:lol: No shit, dude... JD was just being a smartass ;)

So was I lol

ravenheart
09-20-2011, 06:19 AM
How are any of you surprised at this? Surely it was OBVIOUS they'd basically play all the older soft songs alongside stuff off Heritage?

I was expecting a 50/50 split between Heritage and Damnation.

I think I'd change the order, but otherwise this set is fine. Not that I expect to enjoy Heritage very much, based on the couple of songs I have heard. I certainly won't be rushing to see them when they come to London in November. Although that's more because I've seen them enough already than anything else.

Epidemic Reign
09-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Mikael used to be in fucking Bloodbath for godsake

He still is.

Frankthetank727
09-20-2011, 07:07 AM
I'd kill someone to hear White Cluster played live.

The year they did that Chronological tour, I saw them play it. :D

One of my favorite Opeth songs, too.

KillerCannabis
09-20-2011, 07:13 AM
I need to ditch my tickets to this.

Mikael, WTF?

JGulino8
09-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Growling is gay, its about time that shit has stopped!

Epidemic Reign
09-20-2011, 07:18 AM
Growling is gay, its about time that shit has stopped!

GTFO

Derelict
09-20-2011, 07:35 AM
In any event, the NYC shows are the only "2-shows in 1-city" occurrences of the tour, so the set will change night to night. I'll post them both accurately unless someone beats me to it. This set has Closure on it, and that seems to be up for dispute now. Didn't anyone here go to this?

I've seen them back to back in the same city, and they havent changed their setlist before. I wouldnt bet on it.

Also, this set is trash.

AnthG
09-20-2011, 08:06 AM
The only positive to come out of that setlist is that the crowd will be pretty tame.

I was hoping they'd play a mix of their catalogue and what not, especially to add some diversity to the tour and might basically sound like Katatonia, who do the "once heavy now not as heavy" shtick far better than Opeth anyway.

DethMaiden
09-20-2011, 08:08 AM
The only positive to come out of that setlist is that the crowd will be pretty tame.

I was hoping they'd play a mix of their catalogue and what not, especially to add some diversity to the tour and might basically sound like Katatonia, who do the "once heavy now not as heavy" shtick far better than Opeth anyway.

But I don't think that describes Opeth as well as it does Katatonia. Because when Opeth busts out death metal - i.e. "Heir Apparent" - it's still as awesome as ever.

AnthG
09-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Well Does Katatonia even play any of their older stuff anymore anyway? I'm not really familiar with any of their stuff before Last Fair Deal Gone, but they have one song on their setlist from before that album.

ShatteredFlame
09-20-2011, 08:16 AM
yeah Katatonia range from hits to old stuff. In that case they don't use growls as much because Jonas' voice can't handle it, hence the direction of their music.

BlackmoreOfBowling
09-20-2011, 08:23 AM
So much butthurt in this thread it's awesome.

I think I might go see Opeth now. Those million 11-minute song sets got fucking old anyway, with all the Kenny G-looking wank metal nerds all pushy-shovy for 2 solid hours...:tongue:

Northern_Shaman
09-20-2011, 09:22 AM
The Vancouver date sold out weeks ago, so maybe now someone can get mad and sell me cheap tickets... I quite enjoy Heritage.

Rocco44
09-20-2011, 09:53 AM
So much butthurt in this thread it's awesome.

I think I might go see Opeth now. Those million 11-minute song sets got fucking old anyway, with all the Kenny G-looking wank metal nerds all pushy-shovy for 2 solid hours...:tongue:

hahaha... funny enough my show will probably have the real Kenny G

jd091
09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm starting to get over the fact that there are no growls on this tour, but yes, I'm still incredibly butthurt over the set. Like some of the other guys here, it's going to be my first Opeth concert. I've listed them earlier in this thread, but there's a whole plethora of utterly amazing metal songs Opeth wrote that changed the way I viewed music, and not seeing a single one of them live is going to hurt.

If you're gonna go the clean route though, PLEASE play any one of the following:

-Windowpane (fucking duh)
-Atonement!
-Harvest
-Hours of Wealth
-Isolation Years
-To Bid You Farewell
-Death Wispered a Lullaby

I'm totally fine with them keeping that much heritage material, and some others (Hex Omega (!) and A Fair Judgement). But shit like the Throat of Winter needs to be purged.

And I understand you don't like death metal anymore, Mikael, but PLEASE sneak in Bleak or Blackwater Park into that set. Just one good one. That's all I want. Just one. :snivel:

ShatteredFlame
09-20-2011, 10:46 AM
The Throat of Winter is actually the one I want to here the most from this set :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
09-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Eep, that is a pretty terrible set. All good songs but... Opeth are a band we love because they have so many different things to offer. To exclude so much of that is very disappointing.

adamclark52
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I've seen them live twice in 2008 and 2009 and both were pretty good shows. When they played a song you didn't like it kinda sucked because you knew you were stuck with it for eight minutes. The mellow stuff was nice at those shows because it broke up the show a little, gave you some time to relax. But this will just be an hour and a half of relaxing.

Hopefully they play seated venues in the near future.

DethMaiden
09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Eep, that is a pretty terrible set. All good songs but... Opeth are a band we love because they have so many different things to offer. To exclude so much of that is very disappointing.

This, but I'd go so far as to say these aren't all good songs. Was anyone clamoring for Throat of Winter, Credence, Patterns in the Ivy 2, or most of that Heritage shit?

jd091
09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
This, but I'd go so far as to say these aren't all good songs. Was anyone clamoring for Throat of Winter, Credence, Patterns in the Ivy 2, or most of that Heritage shit?

You hit the nail on the head, Brad.

SomewhereInTime72
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I'm ok with the Heritage stuff because it's to be expected to be heavily covered on this tour. But I kind of think like... Throat of Winter, PitI2, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega.... all as part of the same show? Really... that's.... boring... Were I to divide Opeth's entire discography into concert-length playlists, I don't think I would put more than one of those songs in a single list. It's just lame. :(

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed. I actually really like Heritage, but like you said, combined with the other material (seriously, where the hell did Patterns in the Ivy II come from?) its kind of a lackluster set. I'm interested in seeing tonight's set list. Maybe they'll add/drop a song.

ShatteredFlame
09-20-2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.last.fm/music/Opeth/+shoutbox

awful.

DethMaiden
09-20-2011, 12:23 PM
This deserves a "Play Classics" bitch fit more than the AMOLAD tour ever did. :lol:

leglessmoof
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Well, I'm ok with the Heritage stuff because it's to be expected to be heavily covered on this tour. But I kind of think like... Throat of Winter, PitI2, Porcelain Heart, Hex Omega.... all as part of the same show? Really... that's.... boring... Were I to divide Opeth's entire discography into concert-length playlists, I don't think I would put more than one of those songs in a single list. It's just lame. :(

Interesting point. I would've loved to hear Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega on the Watershed Tour. But they focused on the heavier material instead, by playing Heir Apparent and The Lotus Eater. It would've been a lot more balanced if they played one of each back on the Watershed Tour, and one of each on this tour.

Some bands tend to play in cycles like this. Iron Maiden is a good example. In 2006, they played their entire new album and barely any classics. In 2008, they played all classics and no new songs. In 2010, they played a mostly newer songs but also several classics.

I don't necessarily have a problem when bands do this, I just wish they would say so BEFORE tickets go on sale. With the price of concert tickets these days, fans deserve to know what they're getting. Especially if the band is doing something "different" than what's expected.

SomewhereInTime72
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
This isn't totally comparable to the AMOLAD tour, though I get it... It's more like if AMOLAD had sounded completely different from Maiden's previous work and the last 5 songs in the set were all shit from the NPFTD-VXI set albums. Again, nothing I hate in those albums but to have all the 'older' material in a set be from them would be balls. :bouville:

daimonos
09-20-2011, 12:51 PM

This.

Cause it's good ass song, it's new, and it was the first hint at Opeth's new direction.

For God's sake, what are you all expecting? Of course there's not going to be any growling, this is the HERITAGE tour. Just sit back and appreciate this stage of Opeth's development as fully as they are so generous to present it.

Correct.

Credence is incredible live, and I think it's really cool they're playing Patterns in the Ivy II, that one totally came out of nowhere, but it's a great song.

Basically...I'm not fucking complaining.

AnthG
09-20-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm going to sound like a total N00b here but...what the hell is Patterns in the Ivy 2?

DethMaiden
09-20-2011, 12:55 PM
The whole "Opeth isn't death metal!" thing carries no weight with me. They have long passages with metal riffs and growled vocals. I know they don't sound like Incantation. No one is fucking asking them to. Opeth sounds like Opeth, except on this tour, they won't. That's the problem here.

leglessmoof
I'm going to sound like a total N00b here but...what the hell is Patterns in the Ivy 2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_Park#Track_listing

electrocute1031
don't mind that set at all really. I just wish they'd switch out Porcelain Heart with Burden.

daimonos
09-20-2011, 01:04 PM
They did a tour like this after Damnation came out, the Opeth we know and love will be back at some point.

Also, I'm extremely excited they're playing A Fair Judgement, that's one of my favorite Opeth songs.

bigguytoo9
09-20-2011, 01:17 PM
yeah this is a bullshit setlist, at least Katatonia is opeing.

Northern_Shaman
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
yeah this is a bullshit setlist, at least Katatonia is opeing.

Hit me up if you know anyone pissed enough to sell their ticket(s)!

Hex Omega will be excellent live. I know that it's way too early to begin discussing this now, but this whole thing makes me really curious about what Opeth's next release will sound like.

illninoese
09-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Well so much for my hopes of a surprise Bloodbath song being played during the tour (since 4/5's of the band will be together throughout this whole thing). And hey, the Katatonia setlist is solid!!! As for Opeth's, don't hate people. With all of this negative energy this maybe the only tour they ever play some of these slower songs. It'll be awesome to here Patterns II

Epidemic Reign
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Well so much for my hopes of a surprise Bloodbath song being played during the tour (since 4/5's of the band will be together throughout this whole thing).

Actually, all of them will be there. Per Eriksson has been Katatonia's live guitarist since Fredrik Norman left the band.

And yeah, unfortunately it ain't gonna happen.

DethMaiden
09-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Really Face of Melinda and A Fair Judgement are the only songs I'd say I'm reallllllly looking forward to seeing.

Maideneer
09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Almost done with the new record, nothing wrong with it. Insanely intriguing and complex. This is gonna take a few dozen listens to let it sink in. Glad to soon be seeing live versions of this stuff so near the release.

LIVEtoROCK86
09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
What I don't get is that Mikael is sick of doing just death metal, so now he's doing just prog rock. Ok, well then won't that get old too? What will be next...POLKA?! It's important to always keep variety and avoid extremes...hence, play a variety of your catalog! A balance between heavier and softer songs.

I'd revise the set and keep it similar to what they have, but make a few changes. Like this:

Devil's Orchard
I Feel The Dark
Face Of Melinda
Hessian Peel
Nepenthe
Moonlapse Vertigo
Credence
The Funeral Portrait
Slither
A Fair Judgement
Folklore

Encore:
The Baying Of The Hounds

Now THAT would be a set. Pretty much the same as what they've got going on...same albums represented, just some changes to add some damn VARIETY and keep it from being too metal or too mellow.

jd091
09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I'd revise the set and keep it similar to what they have, but make a few changes. Like this:

Devil's Orchard
I Feel The Dark
Face Of Melinda
Hessian Peel
Nepenthe
Moonlapse Vertigo
Credence
The Funeral Portrait
Slither
A Fair Judgement
Folklore

Encore:
The Baying Of The Hounds

I would be fine with this.

LIVEtoROCK86
09-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Right?? I mean it still has all the Heritage songs they are playing, most of the other mellow ones, but I just subbed in some more deathy ones. Nothing drastic. Don't see why they can't do something like that.

TEDIUM88
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Honestly I like most of these songs, even Throat of Winter and PITI2 and both of those are songs I thought I'd never see live. But it just seems they could have thrown some better mellow ones in, like Harvest or Burden (though I doubt the new guy can live up to Per's solo) or like Lotus Eater's funk bridge would kinda fit with Nepenthe's, or fucking Häxprocess would be awesome. I dunno, I guess I'll enjoy the set because they're good songs, but it's been 3 fucking years since they've come to MN and I want some of the classics in there too. On a sidenote, considering the last time Katatonia were here they had horrible mic problems and someone stole a guitar, it's good to see them coming back too. But fuck both of them, I'm wearing my Bloodbath shirt to this show!

AT ANY RATE, I'll be lucky enough to be at Devin Townsend's tour kickoff the next night, so I'll be sure to post a setlist for that for you guys

brutal_descent
09-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Anyone want to have a laugh? A description/bio of Opeth from the page of a concert agency in NY:

Peter and Mike sat in a sauna, naked. They were very drunk, and therefore decided to form a band named Opeth.
They left the sauna and stumbled home, while on the way met up with others who said they'd join the band. However, Mike lost their phone numbers so they had to settle with Axe, Per, and Mendez (they all served as alter-boys at church every sunday). Peter, suffering from post-maddrunk amnesia, forgot they formed a band, and didn't believe Mike, so Mike found Frederik, mistaking him for a waiter at Applebee's.

http://www.bowerypresents.com/event/44489

jd091
09-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Found this pic online:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/296610_10150324949647348_504232347_7868194_1366206 931_n.jpg

Hope that doesn't mean this setlist is set in stone... :eyes: :snivel:

Epidemic Reign
09-20-2011, 11:25 PM
But fuck both of them, I'm wearing my Bloodbath shirt to this show!

Same. :fist:

InFlamesOfBirchmen
09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Found this pic online:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/296610_10150324949647348_504232347_7868194_1366206 931_n.jpg

Hope that doesn't mean this setlist is set in stone... :eyes: :snivel:

^This. I'm really hoping they'll at least tweak the set list a bit.

AnataFan4Life
09-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Yeah, Harvest or Benighted would be nice as far as their mellow stuff goes.

DigMySpanky
09-23-2011, 02:43 PM
The best show I ever saw Opeth play was May '09 at House of Blues, Boston with Enslaved. It was a perfect show. After that I saw them at Terminal 5 when they played BWP/A song from each album. That show was good, but BWP is probably my least favorite opeth album (although it was MUCH better live).

Then I saw this show. Katatonia was solid. Opeth was a HUGE disappointment to the extent that I sold my Hartford ticket.

But of course all the Blowpeth Fagboys were saying how great it was after the show. Lame.

jd091
09-23-2011, 03:22 PM
but BWP is probably my least favorite opeth album

Really? That pretty much disagrees with the view of every other Opeth fan in existence! Can I ask why you don't like it?

DigMySpanky
09-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Really? That pretty much disagrees with the view of every other Opeth fan in existence! Can I ask why you don't like it?

Yep, I know. And trust me, I've tried so fucking hard to get into it, it's not even funny. In fact, I like Ghost Reveries more, even though I only listen to 4 songs on that album. They have a lot of songs I skip and I don't own or listen to Watershed. I didn't really pay much attention to them after Still Life but my girlfriend likes them a lot and so starting around '08 I started going to their shows.

And of course you can ask that question, it's only logical. I suppose if I broke the music down I could find specifics, but what it comes down to is that none of the songs catch my ear. I like certain movements in some of the songs, but overall I just get bored.

You know how even songs you may not necessarily like can still get stuck in your head? No BWP song could ever get stuck in my head.

I love Death/Black/Grind metal but I would never say "well this stuff sucks because it's not death metal enough" or "I don't like the slow/soft parts." I like music that sounds good. I don't give a fuck how it's done. If it satisfies what my criteria for good music, I'm all about it.

My favorite is Still Life.

jd091
09-23-2011, 07:06 PM
My favorite is Still Life.

Wow, that's the complete opposite for me. Like same argument against Still Life. :lol:

Have you listened to the song "Blackwater Park" front to back? Please try at least that song. It's my favorite Opeth tune, and incredibly catchy. Especially that clean middle part.

DigMySpanky
09-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow, that's the complete opposite for me. Like same argument against Still Life. :lol:

Have you listened to the song "Blackwater Park" front to back? Please try at least that song. It's my favorite Opeth tune, and incredibly catchy. Especially that clean middle part.

I own the album and have listened to it many times. And like I said in my first post I enjoyed the album live much more.

It's cool that we have the exact opposite opinions. DigMySpanky and jd091: bringing balance to the universe since 2011!

no homo

jd091
09-23-2011, 07:48 PM
I own the album and have listened to it many times. And like I said in my first post I enjoyed the album live much more.

It's cool that we have the exact opposite opinions. DigMySpanky and jd091: bringing balance to the universe since 2011!

no homo

:lol: That's completely cool. I mean, in the end of the day, Opeth is amazing. And I'm sure we can both agree Ghost Reveries is the shit.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-23-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm sure we can both agree Ghost Reveries is the shit.

it's the reason I'm an Opeth fan.

jd091
09-23-2011, 08:21 PM
it's the reason I'm an Opeth fan.

Same. Life changing album right there.

AnataFan4Life
09-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Deliverance seems to be overlooked by a lot of Opeth fans in comparison to some of their work, but it's actually my favorite Opeth album.

jd091
09-25-2011, 09:43 PM
Deliverance seems to be overlooked by a lot of Opeth fans in comparison to some of their work, but it's actually my favorite Opeth album.

A close third for me, behind Blackwater and Ghost Reveries. I don't think it conveys the range of emotions as well as those two, but Deliverance is still incredible. And the title track is probably my favorite song of all time.

AnataFan4Life
09-25-2011, 09:48 PM
A close third for me, behind Blackwater and Ghost Reveries. I don't think it conveys the range of emotions as well as those two, but Deliverance is still incredible. And the title track is probably my favorite song of all time.

That song, A Fair Judgement, and Master's Apprentices is just a trio of :drool: for me, with Wreath coming in very close.

MPF
09-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Deliverance was my first album I bought with Growls (The same day I bought Dream Theater's Train Of Thought, forever making me a Prog fan). Deliverance is one of my top 3 albums along with Damnation and Blackwater Park.