PDA

View Full Version : My 50 Favorite Headbanging Songs

jhdeity
09-17-2011, 06:42 AM
Inspired by Garagemetal's thrash list I've been listening to a shitton of old thrash stuff from my formative years. I figured I'd make a list since some of these songs are popular and others you may have never heard. These songs will pretty much all be really fast or in some cases really slow. I think headbanging is a lost art in the age of karate kids and moshing but my favorite concert experiences were headbanging, singing along and hopefully not taking a Doc to the noggin. Hopefully you'll find some songs you really dig or find some bands worth checking out like I did with GM's list.

I'll start off with a song that epitomizes headbanging for me. The 1st minute starts with a great riff into mid-tempo and they total thrash and that's just the 1st minute. One of my favorite songs from a band that was never signed but opened for many thrash legends back in the day. If anyone on this list has even heard this song before you must be old and decrepit like me. Enjoy!

#50 - Chemikill - Kill My Confusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCWwiCi9kc

Also if anyone wants to remind me how you make the title the actual link I'll do it that way. Thanks guys!

EDIT 9/11/13: Pretty sure I got all the links working again but this one. I emailed the guy to see if he can fix it.

GarageMetal468
09-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Ha thanks for the mention! Never heard of Chemikill before, you definitely have a lot more background with thrash than I do so I'm sure I'll be finding a lot more awesome bands here! Looking forward to the list, but is it all thrash or is there gonna be other genres like death, black, etc.?

also, it's [ url= (link here minus the spaces) ]Title of whatever[/url]

DethMaiden
09-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Ha, cool idea. Looking forward to this.

larvtard
09-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Wait, so you mean really fast whiplash-inducing thrash headbanging? Nice. Doom/sludge headbanging is fun as well.

jhdeity
09-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah it's mostly thrash but I had to sprinkle in the best slow slugde stuff too. I'll probably do #49 tonight. After watching that heart wrenching Terps game I need to shift gears. hahaha #49 is one everyone will know but hopefully it will get them back into a cd they don't listen to much. I recently re-discovered it myself thanks to a reissue with bonus tracks and the entire cd is timeless.

PowerMaiden
09-17-2011, 12:50 PM
cool idea buddy \m/

I had never heard Chemikill before, good stuff !

btw,one of my absolute favourite headbanging song is Children Of Bodom's Angel Don't Kill

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

larvtard
09-17-2011, 03:04 PM
that Chemikill song's really good, vocals are kinda meh but the riff's too fucking good to ignore :rocker:

jhdeity
09-17-2011, 06:20 PM
#49 - Death - Mutilation

I remember the 1st time my friend played Death for me. He threw the Leprosy album on and went right to Open Casket. I didn't get it. Then he played Pull The Plug and it started to sink in but I wasn't sure I could ever get used to the vocals. He then said this is probably more up your alley and threw Scream Bloody Gore on. Um... understatement of the century.

Every song was blistering fast and I was jamming out immediately. By the time Mutilation came on I was hooked. I loved the song so much I made him play it over again. Even after all these years that song still gets my blood flowing. As much as I like the later prog Death albums Scream Bloody Gore will always be my favorite. Spoiler Alert: This is my 2nd favorite track off of that incredible album.

#49 - Death - Mutilation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdsvHf5jzyc)

The reissue with Bonus Tracks is a must purchase by the way.

jhdeity
09-17-2011, 06:22 PM
that Chemikill song's really good, vocals are kinda meh but the riff's too fucking good to ignore :rocker:

Totally agree. Vocally he was always going for a Ron Rinehart from later Dark Angel and couldn't quite pull it off. That main riff as simplistic as it is, is still money to me. I love how it ties back in after the thrash part at 1:01

JRA
09-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Mutilation's a fun tune, but the fact that it has the same intro as Scream Bloody Gore bugs me a little.

Epidemic Reign
09-17-2011, 07:35 PM
DAMAGE INCORPORATED :rocker:

GarageMetal468
09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Aw hell yeah, I remember about a year or 2 ago I found Scream Bloody Gore at FYE for $5, and I believe it's an original copy too! No bonus tracks although they are awesome. Good pick, that entire album is just awesome. Probably my 3rd favorite Death album as well (behind Symbolic and Leprosy, of course)

El Gordo
09-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Great idea for a thread. Your first two songs kick ass! Never heard Chemikill before, but that's some good violent thrash -- definitely a Dark Angel vibe to it. The Death song is a no-brainer, I think it was the cause of some near traffic accidents for me back in high school!

christopher
09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
#50 - Chemikill - Kill My Confusion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCWwiCi9kc

Also if anyone wants to remind me how you make the title the actual link I'll do it that way. Thanks guys!

I just saw a flyer for a band of the same name playing near me in a few weeks, then I realized they were Chemi-kill, a local band:bouville:

illuminatus917
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
In Shrouds Decayed by Triptykon at 3:52.

jhdeity
09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Very cool. Glad people liked the Chemikill. Ironically the last time I saw Chemikill play they opened for Genitorturers on their 1st tour at a place called Steeltown. There was so much nudity and crazy sex acts that the bar was closed forever after the night. Somehow Chemikill faded into obscurity just like Steeltown. How a band that good didn't get signed back then is beyond me.

I'm trying to limit myself to 3 songs per band to keep it diverse but it's going to be tough. Most of the songs are old school but this is a newer one that blew me away at 1st listen and has never let up.

I own a lot of Exodus cd's but other than Bonded By Blood they were just gathering dust. I heard a few people debating Exodus vocalists and it piqued my interest in checking out the new stuff. I remember seeing Riot Act on Headbangers Ball when Jamey Jasta was hosting it and I really liked the riffs. I threw in the last Exodus cd I purchased that I couldn't even remember listening to, Shovel Headed Kill Machine. I liked the opening track Raze but as soon as song 2 kicked in I was all about it. Some people consider air guitar and air drums to be Headbanging 101 and this song will make you do both involuntarily. Even if I don't want them to my fingers go ballsitic at 3:21. I will NEVER get tired of this song.

#48 - Exodus - Deathamphetamine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6NeDXTvbls)

larvtard
09-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Very cool. Glad people liked the Chemikill. Ironically the last time I saw Chemikill play they opened for Genitorturers on their 1st tour at a place called Steeltown. There was so much nudity and crazy sex acts that the bar was closed forever after the night. Somehow Chemikill faded into obscurity just like Steeltown. How a band that good didn't get signed back then is beyond me.

I'm trying to limit myself to 3 songs per band to keep it diverse but it's going to be tough. Most of the songs are old school but this is a newer one that blew me away at 1st listen and has never let up.

I own a lot of Exodus cd's but other than Bonded By Blood they were just gathering dust. I heard a few people debating Exodus vocalists and it piqued my interest in checking out the new stuff. I remember seeing Riot Act on Headbangers Ball when Jamey Jasta was hosting it and I really liked the riffs. I threw in the last Exodus cd I purchased that I couldn't even remember listening to, Shovel Headed Kill Machine. I liked the opening track Raze but as soon as song 2 kicked in I was all about it. Some people consider air guitar and air drums to be Headbanging 101 and this song will make you do both involuntarily. Even if I don't want them to my fingers go ballsitic at 3:21. I will NEVER get tired of this song.

#48 - Exodus - Deathamphetamine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PneWfe0jy4)

hell yeah, that was so fun to scream along to/headbang to live.

jhdeity
09-19-2011, 07:23 AM
hell yeah, that was so fun to scream along to/headbang to live.

No doubt. Definitely an incredible live song. I was going to post the live version but the drums and solos are so clean on the studio verison that I went with that. I really like the construction of that song if that makes sense. It could have ended at 4 minutes but instead it does a Master of Puppets kinda spin and finish. As much as I love the Bonded By Blood album this song was the highlight for me last time I saw them live.

jhdeity
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Some of the best Headbanging songs are the ones with the great intros leading into total mayhem. Metallica was famous for this with Fight Fire with Fire and Battery. This might be my favorite intro into a thrash song. Flotsam used to close with this song back in the day and the 2 minute complex intro leading into the finale of a concert is something I always loved. It's like the calm before the storm...

This song was also the center of some controversy. Apparently some sheep thought the song was neo-Nazi or pro-Hitler when in reality it's just a great thrash song about an interesting topic. It doesn't take a Rocket Surgeon to understand "hope he never lives again" means it's Baaad. mmm-kay?

#47 - Flotsam and Jetsam - Der Fuhrer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O7ZxZpbAjI)

jhdeity
09-22-2011, 08:35 AM
In Shrouds Decayed by Triptykon at 3:52.

Yeah that part makes you headbang whether you want to or not.

jhdeity
09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
This is a fun jamming out song with a great video. It was a constant staple on Headbangers Ball and it had a cameo on Beavis and Butthead. I also think Duke Nukem was based on the "mascot" the band had and pretty cool they got a famous wrestler to play him in the video.

These guys were huge over in Japan but not sure if they were anywhere else. I remember several years ago seeing one of their LP's go for $260 on ebay and I fell on the floor. Apparently someone still likes them. hahaha

#46 - Laaz Rockit - Fire in the Hole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mn-Bs8tn9k)

jhdeity
09-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Another fun song. I was surprised years later that so many bands were bagging on Venom and their lack of musicianship. Really? It is what it is and I really liked some of their older stuff. This is a fun song that still makes me smile when I jam out to it.

One of the few mid-tempo songs. Like I mentioned I prefer blinding fast or blood-curdling slow. I really dig the Horror flick montage someone created for the song. Enjoy!

#45 - Venom - In League With Satan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbFu-NNneEI)

jhdeity
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
This is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands. Not much else I can say. Probably the most underrated band out there. The fact they get that sound from a 3-piece is amazing. So glad I got to see them live before they went prog. I totally get why people would prefer their later proggy stuff but the 1st 2 albums will forever be entrenched in my Top 20 of all time. I would kill to see them live again someday...

#44 - Sadus - The Wake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3olf5LJMLiI)

GarageMetal468
09-26-2011, 12:17 PM
This is one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite albums from one of my favorite bands. Not much else I can say. Probably the most underrated band out there. The fact they get that sound from a 3-piece is amazing. So glad I got to see them live before they went prog. I totally get why people would prefer their later proggy stuff but the 1st 2 albums will forever be entrenched in my Top 20 of all time. I would kill to see them live again someday...

#44 - Sadus - The Wake (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LdRijtXOGI)

It's weird that I never got into Swallowed in Black as much as Chemical Exposure, maybe I gotta listen to it more. But that's a sick choice!

Fe Maiden
09-27-2011, 10:53 AM
This is a fun jamming out song with a great video. It was a constant staple on Headbangers Ball and it had a cameo on Beavis and Butthead. I also think Duke Nukem was based on the "mascot" the band had and pretty cool they got a famous wrestler to play him in the video.

These guys were huge over in Japan but not sure if they were anywhere else. I remember several years ago seeing one of their LP's go for $260 on ebay and I fell on the floor. Apparently someone still likes them. hahaha

#46 - Laaz Rockit - Fire in the Hole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mn-Bs8tn9k)I didn't even know anyone else knew about these guys!:eyes:

jhdeity
09-27-2011, 01:56 PM
It's weird that I never got into Swallowed in Black as much as Chemical Exposure, maybe I gotta listen to it more. But that's a sick choice!

Thanks man. Yeah I can't possibly recommend it more highly. I used to subject my friends to it when we played Madden football and they grew to really like it also. Worlds better than that actual Madden soundtracks. hahaha

jhdeity
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
The next tune is a band that was hyped as the fastest band in the world. They were on several speed metal compilations back in the day and kinda grew on me. They opened for Dark Angel in some dungeon in DC and I headbanged so hard at that show my next hurt for a week. I always saw them as kind of a novelty but I still dig this song.

While researching the clip I saw they remixed it and re-released it last year. Definitely different. I prefer the original but curious what you guys think.

The Original from 1987:

#43 - Wehrmacht - Shark Attack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obSMBrnQecA)

The 2K remix:

Wehrmacht - Shark Attack 2K (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6txAaUOoJp4)

jhdeity
09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Another classic from 1987. Another epic minute long intro. I might be kind of predictable but a great thrash song is a great thrash song.

A buddy of mine turned me on to Sepultura when he played Morbid Visions for me and I hated the production but always knew this band could be incredible with the right production and if they continued to grow as musicians.

Obviously they did and brought in a ripping lead guitarist and the rest is history. One can only speculate how much incredible music we would have if the 4 who recorded this album and their other masterpieces never broke up.

As good as this version is, this song live was always mind-blowing and often times even faster live. I've seen this song a few times live and every time it was one of the highlights of the night.

#42 - Sepultura - Escape To The Void (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OChXBy_nZrQ)

jhdeity
10-05-2011, 07:25 AM
#41 has a ton of personal meaning to me because I saw it live more than any other song on this list. I saw so many incredible bands open for these guys it's crazy. The 1st time I ever saw Pantera they opened for Wrathchild America so that should tell you something. They played Hammerjacks at least once a month and every show was a huge party. This isn't their best song but it's their fastest so I would always go apeshit when they played it.

The Wrathchild name drama with an English punk band had them on the news many times also. I remember Sacred Reich opening for them and the singer ripping the english punk band to shreds even playing a few chords to one of their shitty songs mocking them. It was a big deal back then. So much so they had to add America to their name obviously.

For a band that started out playing Maiden and Accept covers they turned into a really great local band for years. Brad Divens is the sound guy for The Cult now, Terry Carter plays blues down in Florida and of course Shannon is in Godsmack now. Every year we try to get them to play the Hammerjacks Reunion. Here's hoping it finally happens in 2012!

#41 - Wrathchild America - Hell's Gates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZsjjlsQtAE)

This shows the band in their glory. Meliah Rage & Gang Green opened this night and Sully was the drummer for Meliah Rage. Maybe he and Shannon met this night, who knows. Definitely a great show. I got into Gang Green for a few months after this show. Desert Grins shows Shannons drumming skills way more than any of the Godsmack stuff too.

I Ain't Drunk with Sully Erna & Desert Grins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIOuJ1iFiUc)

Bonus Song: This is the song they used to close with most shows. Fun little sing-a-long before we would jump in my car and drive around a few times looking for chicks who wanted to party. If I had to create a Soundtrack of my life Wrathchild would definitely have a fat chapter in the book. By far the most fun band I ever saw, partied with, jammed out to and saw live 30 or so times. I would kill to see them live 1 last time...

Subhumans - Slave to my Dick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw_0_sNiwlw)

jhdeity
10-05-2011, 10:41 AM
While I'm at it I'll share this last tidbit about bands in the 80's trying to make it. Shannon's hair is just wack! Great stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLb0LPq_Cg&feature=related

jhdeity
10-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I was always a big Vio-lence fan. Most of my friends hated the vocals so I remember going to see them live the 1st time alone. They opened for Voivod who I had a hard time getting into but I loved their cover of Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine so I went and had a great time. I talked some people into going with me to see Rigor Mortis open for Vio-lence on the Opressing the Masses Tour and that show blew all of us away. OtM was one of my favorite albums for years and I was really looking forward to their 3rd cd Nothing to Gain. Years passed and hundreds of record store trips later, no new cd. I finally found it on ebay and once I heard it I realized this band made 2 incredible albums and just lost it. Many, many bands in that era were being pressured to slow it down and become more accessible and you can chalk Vio-lence up as another victim of that stupid Record Company mis-step.

A few years later I heard Robb Flynn had a new band called Machine Head and they were everything Vio-lence should have become. Understatement of the century.... Burn My Eyes is a classic. One of the 20 best cd's I've ever heard. I caught them live at a club shortly after and the electricity of the live show blew me away. Nothing in music surprises me more than the inability of Machine Head to headline tours and sell out shows across America. Someday...

#40 - Machine Head - Blood for Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctc5kWeQQI)

Had to use the Live version.

brutal_descent
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
A few years later I heard Robb Flynn had a new band called Machine Head and they were everything Vio-lence should have become.

I'll be very surprised if no one objects to this. I commend you for praising Machine Head - they ARE very understated. Despite having more bad albums than good albums, Burn My Eyes and The Blackening are among the best metal albums I know from that spectrum of metal.

JRA
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
A few years later I heard Robb Flynn had a new band called Machine Head and they were everything Vio-lence should have become.

No. No. No. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you. No. Fuck you. Fuck you. No.

brutal_descent
10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I'll be very surprised if no one objects to this.

:D

JRA
10-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Actually I think my reaction to that beyond retarded observation is best served by Manky's avatar.

El Gordo
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Nailed it! :lol:

jhdeity
10-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Nailed it! :lol:

Yeah I got a laugh outta that. I actually thought he was kildding though.

If anyone holds Vio-lence - Nothing to Gain over Machine Head - Burn My Eyes, speak now and we can debate this topic openly. Granted it would be a retarded debate because one cd is one of the best cd's I've ever heard and the other was so bad record companies wouldn't even release it in America so good luck proving your point. I actually like 3 songs on Nothing to Gain because I'm a hardcore Vio-lence fan but Burn My Eyes is a classic and debating it vs. The Blackening would truly be an intelligent debate.

So the new Hipster thing to do is to hate on Machine Head? Who knew?

:lol:

larvtard
10-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Personally, I don't like Vio-lence, but dude, you're openly stating that one of the greatest thrash bands to ever exist isn't as good as the lead guitarist's nu metal-influenced groove metal band that came afterwards. I'm just saying, you're not making any friends here.

jhdeity
10-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Personally, I don't like Vio-lence, but dude, you're openly stating that one of the greatest thrash bands to ever exist isn't as good as the lead guitarist's nu metal-influenced groove metal band that came afterwards. I'm just saying, you're not making any friends here.

I didn't say that at all. I said should have become... Have you heard Vio-lence - Nothing to Gain? It took my 10 years to find and it kinda sucked.

A more natural progression would have been into Machine Head over commercial metal which is what Vio-lence became before they got dropped.

I got a laugh out of his response until he said my opinion was retarded or Brutals response was retarded. Whichever one. I'll never understand how someone standing up for themselves can be perceived as not making friends.

Usually calling someones opinion retarded for no reason would earn disdain but in Bizarro world the person who retaliates or stands up for themselves is often made the bad guy. Just sayin'

JRA
10-07-2011, 07:30 AM
There's nothing wrong with liking Burn My Eyes better than a lackluster Vio-lence effort, but you said Machine Head as a band was what Vio-lence should have become. Considering Machine Head had done nothing but copy awful trend after awful trend up until The Blackening (and even then you could say they were being trendy because thrash was making a huge comeback in 2007), yea I stand by my opinion that that opinion is retarded.

jhdeity
10-07-2011, 08:07 AM
There's nothing wrong with liking Burn My Eyes better than a lackluster Vio-lence effort, but you said Machine Head as a band was what Vio-lence should have become. Considering Machine Head had done nothing but copy awful trend after awful trend up until The Blackening (and even then you could say they were being trendy because thrash was making a huge comeback in 2007), yea I stand by my opinion that that opinion is retarded.

That's cool. I'm glad you at least made a point. I can only judge what Vio-elnce became by 1 album. Oppressing the Masses is one of my Top 15 albums of all time so yeah I HATED what they became and the fact they gave into record label pressure and became a boring plod-a-long band on NtG.

Like I said I think Machine Head have created 2 of the 20 best cd's ever made and I'll stand by that 100%. I do agree they made a few clunkers while following trends but who is to say they wern't forced to do that to keep their label? I don't know, it's not like it didn't happen to Vio-lence.

We all have opinions and to me Machine Head has surpassed Vio-lence with their last 3 efforts. The 1st 2 cd's plus these 3 are as good as or better than 98% of the bands out there to me.

Hell the 2 clunkers are both better than Nothing to Gain so yeah...

Now I'm curious of either of the 2 Vio-lence albums are going to make your list and would be considered better than Master of Puppets. While most people would have MoP worlds over them both, I wouldn't....

Dextrimental
10-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Burn My Eyes is a classic record, easily my favorite from Machine Head. Vio-Lence and Machine Head are definitely two very different bands, comparing them doesn't seem fair to me.

jhdeity
10-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Moving on. One of my favorite bands ever. Definitely the band I've waited the longest to see live. I often wonder if Sodom hadn't come along if I would have become a power/prog guy. I was hugely into Queensryche, Saxon, Metallica and owned Reign in Blood but only liked a few songs at 1st. My same friend who turned me onto Death turned me onto Sodom. In this case I was floored right from jump. It was cool having the lyrics there too. Not that Sodom are mensa members or even had decent english speaking skills at that point but the music fit the artwork and lyrics perfectly to me. As much as I love other Sodom releases, Persecution Mania will always be my favorite. I would also classify Mortal Way of Live as one of the 5 best live albums ever released. I played both of those cd's to death.

#39 - Sodom - Nuclear Winter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfhGpQmzxts)

JRA
10-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Now I'm curious of either of the 2 Vio-lence albums are going to make your list and would be considered better than Master of Puppets. While most people would have MoP worlds over them both, I wouldn't....

Eternal Nightmare almost made it.

jhdeity
10-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Overkill and Pantera have 1 major connection with me. Both bands released songs on Headbangers Ball that I didn't really like but didn't let that 1 song turn me totally off from the band. With Overkill their song In Union We Stand was on Headbangers ball and I didn't like it at all. Overkill actually got me with the Fuck You EP. I picked it up for $5.99 and liked the faster live songs so I went out the next day and bought Taking Over. I couldn't believe how great this was compared to my 1st impression of them. To this day it's still my favorite Overkill album with The Years of Decay a close 2nd. This song is such a great way to start an album and incredible live.

#38 - Overkill - Deny the Cross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWJCatBI6k)

JRA
10-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Deny The Cross is indeed one of the best headbanging songs ever. Its almost like The Hellion/Electric Eye with that brick of an opening section, before giving away to a freight train of thrash.

El Gordo
10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Overkill and Pantera have 1 major connection with me. Both bands released songs on Headbangers Ball that I didn't really like but didn't let that 1 song turn me totally off from the band. With Overkill their song In Union We Stand was on Headbangers ball and I didn't like it at all. Overkill actually got me with the Fuck You EP. I picked it up for $5.99 and liked the faster live songs so I went out the next day and bought Taking Over. I couldn't believe how great this was compared to my 1st impression of them. To this day it's still my favorite Overkill album with The Years of Decay a close 2nd. This song is such a great way to start an album and incredible live.

#38 - Overkill - Deny the Cross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO7mQbwZ_60)

How awesome are the vocals during the second part of the verse? As vicious as they get.

jhdeity
10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
How awesome are the vocals during the second part of the verse? As vicious as they get.

No doubt. A lot of my friends don't like Blitz's vocals but that song truly shows his talents. I remember trying to sing that 2nd verse live and I thought my vocal chords were going to burst. hahaha

jhdeity
10-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Rigor Mortis is a band who if they didn't open for Vio-lence I would have probably never heard of. I saw them on my concert ticket opening the show and I went out and bought their album just to see if they were worth checking out. I was obsessed with this album for 2 weeks straight. Loved the whole thing. Couldn't wait to see them live and made sure I was standing in front of the guitarist because I had to see with my own eyes if he could actually play that fast. I literally couldn't believe my eyes. One of my favorite opening acts ever and the fact I got to party with them after their set and before Vio-lence made this show one of my favorites of all time.

I didn't find out that was the same guitarist in Ministry until I actually saw them live and recognized him. I didn't know the other dude is in GWAR until GarageMetal posted it in his link. I always wondered what happened to these guys and cool to see some recent clips of them playing popping up. I added a 2nd clip I found which is really cool.

#37 - Rigor Mortis - Demons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHd0NRwE8aA)

This is a live clip from a DVD called The Birth of Dallas/Fort Worth Underground Metal with Phil singing with Rigor Mortis. Has anyone seen this dvd? I'm sure I'd love it.

Phil Anselmo with RM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf132ENHmKw)

jhdeity
10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
The Top 35 are all epic masterpieces and this song as great as it is just couldn't make that cut. This band Souls at Zero is Wrathchild America forced to change their name and conform to keep their record deal. Yeah that shit happened back in the day. Total fucking bullshit moves by people who have no clue what good music is and what WE wanted to hear back then.

The music was similar to Wrathchild just more mid-tempo stuff with less and/or bland solo's. This was the only sloooooow song they did and I prefer this to any of their other stuff. This was also the last EP Shannon Larkin played drums on before selling his soul to join Ugly Kid Joe.

As simplistic as this song is, it just really works for me and Shannon would pound the living shit out of the drums when they played it live. Enjoy!

#36 - Souls at Zero - Underneath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-R42gi208)

Dextrimental
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Rigor Mortis!!!!!!!

Not sure if you've seen this before, but its Phil Anselmo with Morbid Angel, singing Day of Suffering.. Dude has some awesome growls on him if nothing else!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_1_HWxYOTQ

jhdeity
10-10-2011, 07:58 PM
Rigor Mortis!!!!!!!

Not sure if you've seen this before, but its Phil Anselmo with Morbid Angel, singing Day of Suffering.. Dude has some awesome growls on him if nothing else!

Dude that was f'n awesome! I wonder when that was? Said it was uploaded in 2007.

JRA
10-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Rigor Mortis!!!!!!!

I fucking love that clip. It was likely on the Extreme Steel tour when morbid Angel toured with Pantera. so...2001?

jhdeity
10-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I fucking love that clip. It was likely on the Extreme Steel tour when morbid Angel toured with Pantera. so...2001?

Damn, that tour skipped us. Baltimore didn't have a decent venue for 8-10 years and we were "Ginger Stepkids" when it came to good shows before Rams Head came along.

In hindsight that show would have been worth driving for...

jhdeity
10-11-2011, 11:33 AM
TOP 35!

A song that will never get old. I had never heard Kreator but was a huge Sodom fan and often heard them mentioned together. I decided to pick up the Flag of Hate EP since it was $2.99 used at Record and Tape Traders.

Back in the day EP's were a great way to check out new metal cheap. Yeah my "had to walk uphill 2 miles to school" tale is more like before the internet we had to buy albums based on 3 things. 1) Song Titles 2) Album Artwork & 3) The pics of the band on the back cover. The 1st 2 songs were ok but song 3 grabbed me by the throat and I went out and bought Pleasure to Kill the next day.

Little did I know this song would get better and better with every listen. Nothing cooler than playing that Sons of Anarchy (The Lost and Damned) expansion pack for GTA4 and walking in the biker clubhouse and hearing this song playing. One of the coolest "easter egg" type gaming moments for me. Deicide - Dead by Dawn afterwards floored me actually. Someone at Rockstar knows their shit...

#35 - Kreator - Awakening of the Gods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7EBeqIKXL4)

JRA
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
TOP 35!

A song that will never get old. I had never heard Kreator but was a huge Sodom fan and often heard them mentioned together. I decided to pick up the Flag of Hate EP since it was $2.99 used at Record and Tape Traders.

Back in the day EP's were a great way to check out new metal cheap. Yeah my "had to walk uphill 2 miles to school" tale is more like before the internet we had to buy albums based on 3 things. 1) Song Titles 2) Album Artwork & 3) The pics of the band on the back cover. The 1st 2 songs were ok but song 3 grabbed me by the throat and I went out and bought Pleasure to Kill the next day.

Little did I know this song would get better and better with every listen. Nothing cooler than playing that Sons of Anarchy (The Lost and Damned) expansion pack for GTA4 and walking in the biker clubhouse and hearing this song playing. One of the coolest "easter egg" type gaming moments for me. Deicide - Dead by Dawn afterwards floored me actually. Someone at Rockstar knows their shit...

#35 - Kreator - Awakening of the Gods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7EBeqIKXL4)

That song was in GTA4 holy shit!! Yea someone does have some good taste. I think Bathory's "Call From The Grave" was on there too.

But yea Awakening of the Gods is a fucking masterful epic. Just 7 minutes of death and riffs and the intro just sets the whole thing up perfect.

GarageMetal468
10-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Rigor Mortis is a band who if they didn't open for Vio-lence I would have probably never heard of. I saw them on my concert ticket opening the show and I went out and bought their album just to see if they were worth checking out. I was obsessed with this album for 2 weeks straight. Loved the whole thing. Couldn't wait to see them live and made sure I was standing in front of the guitarist because I had to see with my own eyes if he could actually play that fast. I literally couldn't believe my eyes. One of my favorite opening acts ever and the fact I got to party with them after their set and before Vio-lence made this show one of my favorites of all time.

I didn't find out that was the same guitarist in Ministry until I actually saw them live and recognized him. I didn't know the other dude is in GWAR until GarageMetal posted it in his link. I always wondered what happened to these guys and cool to see some recent clips of them playing popping up. I added a 2nd clip I found which is really cool.

#37 - Rigor Mortis - Demons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHd0NRwE8aA)

This is a live clip from a DVD called The Birth of Dallas/Fort Worth Underground Metal with Phil singing with Rigor Mortis. Has anyone seen this dvd? I'm sure I'd love it.

Phil Anselmo with RM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf132ENHmKw)

Excellent choice, that self titled debut is a classic that will go down in history as one of the best thrash albums of all time!

As of now, RM are only playing shows around Texas for whatever reason. I'm really hoping they tour the U.S. though, I'd be there in a heartbeat if it came anywhere near the midwest.

jhdeity
10-12-2011, 07:49 AM

Excellent choice, that self titled debut is a classic that will go down in history as one of the best thrash albums of all time!

As of now, RM are only playing shows around Texas for whatever reason. I'm really hoping they tour the U.S. though, I'd be there in a heartbeat if it came anywhere near the midwest.

Phil should take them on tour with him. Superjoint / Rigor Mortis / Down type show.

ravenheart
10-12-2011, 07:52 AM
White Zombie - Electric Head Pt. 1: The Agony.

[/thread]

jhdeity
10-12-2011, 08:25 AM
White Zombie - Electric Head Pt. 1: The Agony.

[/thread]

Love that song. A local cover band called Burn with musicians from Mystic Force and several other former "established" bands used to open with it.

If I created a thread of songs for grinding on hot chicks out of my league this would be Top 3. hahaha I always liked it better than part 2 even though the latter seemed to be played live more often and receive more accolades.

Ironically Mark Tremonti flew to Baltimore to audition that bands singer for Alter Bridge and he was the other finalist who lost out to Myles Kennedy. Crazy...

jhdeity
10-12-2011, 08:55 AM
I have a couple of surprises at The Top 25 and Top 10 mark just to keep it interesting. Moving on to a band that has so many great songs but this one was always one of my favorites and rarely received any accolades or was played live. Hatebreed recently covered it and gave it some exposure so hopefully it starts to get the credit it deserves. To me Join the Army was a HUGE drop off from the S/T ST album but this song was one of the few good enough to be on that cd to me. I Feel Your Pain is another favorite...

Intersting story. I go to pick my buddy who was a hardcore punk rocker with huge mohawk for this show. He sees my Metallica - Ride the Lightning Tour shirt and tells me that I'm going to get the living shit beat outta me at the show. I tell him he's crazy and that this is the coolest shirt I own and he said metalheads get pummeled at punk shows. I laugh and say I'll be fine headbanging, singing along and minding my own business. As we walk up to the door at a place called The Bank, the guy taking our $10 tells me for my own good I should turn my shirt inside out. At this point I'm like WTF? Really? Had I not been wasted I might have done it at that point but decided not to. Bottom line I got some mean mugging looks and took a few direct hits from moshers but stood my ground and had an incredible time. Watching my 5'5 buddy with his 10' mohawk moshing was a sight to see and getting to hear all my favorite ST songs was worth it. One for the annals...

#34 - Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Maniac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4qVFZ4bGM)

larvtard
10-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I have a couple of surprises at The Top 25 and Top 10 mark just to keep it interesting. Moving on to a band that has so many great songs but this one was always one of my favorites and rarely received any accolades or was played live. Hatebreed recently covered it and gave it some exposure so hopefully it starts to get the credit it deserves. To me Join the Army was a HUGE drop off from the S/T ST album but this song was one of the few good enough to be on that cd to me. I Feel Your Pain is another favorite...

Intersting story. I go to pick my buddy who was a hardcore punk rocker with huge mohawk for this show. He sees my Metallica - Ride the Lightning Tour shirt and tells me that I'm going to get the living shit beat outta me at the show. I tell him he's crazy and that this is the coolest shirt I own and he said metalheads get pummeled at punk shows. I laugh and say I'll be fine headbanging, singing along and minding my own business. As we walk up to the door at a place called The Bank, the guy taking our $10 tells me for my own good I should turn my shirt inside out. At this point I'm like WTF? Really? Had I not been wasted I might have done it at that point but decided not to. Bottom line I got some mean mugging looks and took a few direct hits from moshers but stood my ground and had an incredible time. Watching my 5'5 buddy with his 10' mohawk moshing was a sight to see and getting to hear all my favorite ST songs was worth it. One for the annals...

#34 - Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Maniac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4qVFZ4bGM)

Man, I thought it was a known fact that in the 80s/early 90s, metalheads and punks hated each other and would beat the shit out of each other at shows...

jhdeity
10-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Man, I thought it was a known fact that in the 80s/early 90s, metalheads and punks hated each other and would beat the shit out of each other at shows...

This was my 1st Punk show and I only really read metal 'zines back then so I was a little naive in hindsight. Plus when I thought of Punk I thought of the Sex Pistols or Ramones, not Suicidal really. Also T.S.O.L. opened and they were on a compilation album I had so I thought there would be other metalheads there.

I was wrong...

PowerMaiden
10-12-2011, 12:47 PM
great thread, loving the concerts stories bro :fist:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
great thread, loving the concerts stories bro :fist:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Thanks man. As music lovers it's easy to like/dislike a song on cd but the true gauge has always been hearing the song live to me. Not that I've seen every single song on here live but most of them including 18 of the Top 20.

I'd KILL to see the other 2 by the way...

jhdeity
10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Ironically the next 2 songs in the list I never got to see live so looking over my list I got to see 30 of my Top 35 favorite headbanging songs live so that's something I'm kinda proud of. I doubt anyone on here saw this song live since I read it was only played live 4 times ever with Dayton 72 being the only version I actually heard. If you have, you're the man!

I can't listen to this song without headbanging. I'm doubt many people choose Vol 4 as their favorite Sabbath album but This song is in my Top 5 Sabbath songs and Supernaut and Cornucopia are both Top 10-15. I love every riff in this song and the lyrics are pure genius to me. Another Sabbath song I "re-discovered" years later that would continue to grow on me to this day. I often compare Vol 4 to Pink Floyd - Animals. 2 albums I heard, kinda liked and blew off only to grow to love years later.

If Sabbath does reunite they need to drop the War Pigs/Iron Man fodder and play songs we've been dying to hear live like this one. That would be worth shelling out $100 to Sharon's kids wedding funds. hahaha

#33 - Black Sabbath - Under the Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeHYQM6QzrQ)

GarageMetal468
10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Phil should take them on tour with him. Superjoint / Rigor Mortis / Down type show.

Hell, if RM is with anyone I'd be there in a heartbeat. But that lineup is a Texan's wet dream right there haha

JRA
10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Ironically the next 2 songs in the list I never got to see live so looking over my list I got to see 30 of my Top 35 favorite headbanging songs live so that's something I'm kinda proud of. I doubt anyone on here saw this song live since I read it was only played live 4 times ever with Dayton 72 being the only version I actually heard. If you have, you're the man!

They did it once during 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z088pu1cOas

daimonos
10-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I would shit a brick if I were at a Sabbath show and they played Under the Sun. One of my top 5 Sabbath songs, for sure.

PowerMaiden
10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
you can't go wrong with Black Sabbath

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
10-13-2011, 04:37 PM
They did it once during 2001.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z088pu1cOas

That's awesome. Talk about right place, right time. And for the record, I'd shit a brick too.

hellawaits77ny
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM
LOL, awesome ST story, Man :rocker:

jhdeity
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
LOL, awesome ST story, Man :rocker:

Thanks Dude. I'm guessing there are some great CBGB's stories on the metalheads vs. punks good ole' days.

Weird thing is I went to a Ramones show about a year after that and it was way more normal. Granted it was an older crowd but they were what I considered Punk at that time. Songs like Beat on the Brat always made me want to punch shit so I was expecting the worst. Wrong again... hahaha

jhdeity
10-13-2011, 11:25 PM
The only industrial song on here. Ministry almost made the cut. For the life of me I don't know why I never saw these guys live. Maybe they didn't play that many times or I was going to another show... Either way I regret it and this song was so heavy when it 1st came out and that opening riff just crushes me every time. With so many bands making comebacks it would be cool to see these guys put out another cd and tour again.

#32 - Godflesh - Christbait Rising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ2lBvcUMYs)

larvtard
10-14-2011, 06:23 AM
The only industrial song on here. Ministry almost made the cut. For the life of me I don't know why I never saw these guys live. Maybe they didn't play that many times or I was going to another show... Either way I regret it and this song was so heavy when it 1st came out and that opening riff just crushes me every time. With so many bands making comebacks it would be cool to see these guys put out another cd and tour again.

#32 - Godflesh - Christbait Rising (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ2lBvcUMYs)

MDF next year.

jhdeity
10-14-2011, 07:42 AM
MDF next year.

Forgot about that. I remember defending them a while back but couldn't remember why. <Bart Scott voice> CAN'T WAIT!

jhdeity
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Crazy weekend coming up so last one for a few days. The 1st band on here I give props to this site for turning me on to. After hearing a few people talking passionately about these guys on here I decided to check them out. Right up my alley. I prefer the older stuff but these guys are great and a true throwback to the music I love.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that pisses me off more than Hatebreed and Anthrax opening for Five Finger Hinder Vag is the 600 bone smokers who clicked "dislike" on this video. I try not to judge people but seriously who would pull up Toxic Holocaust, hear this song and click dislike? My educated guess would be these things might be connected somehow...

#31 - Toxic Holocaust - Nuke The Cross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MK9bJdclc&ob=av2e)

Nater
10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Only fools and cowards...that's who

hellawaits77ny
10-14-2011, 03:46 PM
<Bart Scott voice> CAN'T WAIT!

ROFL!!!!!! Oh that was too funny :D. He sounded like such an ass in that "interview." Then they lost to Pittsburgh the next week.

jhdeity
10-17-2011, 08:37 AM
#30 is my favorite song off the Vio-lence classic Eternal Nightmare. I recently purchased my 3rd version of this classic when I saw they re-released it with a full concert 2nd cd. I was hoping the cd would be remastered but it sounds exactly the same to me.

Like I've mentioned before most of my friends couldn't get into Vio-lence because they hated the vocals but while Sean Killian was never one of my favorite vocalists I could tolerate him. Listening to this cd today I get why some people hated the vocals but they missed out on some great music to me. I love every song off their 1st 2 albums and the Torture Tactics EP.

#30 - Vio-lence - Kill On Command (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoN6yxm7Fw)

JRA
10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
I've dealt out death - SO MANY TIMES
Only one thing running - THROUGH MY MIND
Money, money, money, money - MONEY

So when the file's being - PULLED ON YOU
I tell you what you're - GONNA DO
STAND STILL AND MAKE MY JOB EASIER!!!

I can never quite decide which song I like best, it's either this one, Drug Song or Serial Killer.

jhdeity
10-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I've dealt out death - SO MANY TIMES
Only one thing running - THROUGH MY MIND
Money, money, money, money - MONEY

So when the file's being - PULLED ON YOU
I tell you what you're - GONNA DO
STAND STILL AND MAKE MY JOB EASIER!!!

I can never quite decide which song I like best, it's either this one, Drug Song or Serial Killer.

Yeah Drug Song is a close 2nd for me. I just love the end of KOC when it gets faster and faster.

PowerMaiden
10-17-2011, 12:26 PM
#30 is my favorite song off the Vio-lence classic Eternal Nightmare. I recently purchased my 3rd version of this classic when I saw they re-released it with a full concert 2nd cd. I was hoping the cd would be remastered but it sounds exactly the same to me.

Like I've mentioned before most of my friends couldn't get into Vio-lence because they hated the vocals but while Sean Killian was never one of my favorite vocalists I could tolerate him. Listening to this cd today I get why some people hated the vocals but they missed out on some great music to me. I love every song off their 1st 2 albums and the Torture Tactics EP.

#30 - Vio-lence - Kill On Command (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoN6yxm7Fw)

great song !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
10-17-2011, 06:13 PM
ROFL!!!!!! Oh that was too funny :D. He sounded like such an ass in that "interview." Then they lost to Pittsburgh the next week.

Yeah I love Bart Scott and really respect his passion for the game but that soundbite would be so much cooler if they beat Shittsburgh. I still laugh every time I hear it though.

jhdeity
10-18-2011, 05:56 AM
great song !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Thanks Bud!

jhdeity
10-18-2011, 06:36 AM
WOW! The 1st song on the list that I wanted the exact version that kicks the most ass and it's not out there. WTF?

Ok, back it up. My 1st Slayer album was Reign in Blood. I couldn't get into any of it except Postmortem at first. Loved that song from jump but even Angel of Death took 10 or so spins. I basically forced myself to like the album because deep down I knew it was brilliant, I just wasn't 100% into speed metal yet.

Once it sunk in I bought the Live Undead picture disc because it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. It only had 6 songs but I was into it immediately. My favorite song was Show No Mercy with the incredible drum solo intro. I would literally go ballistic every time I heard it.

Years later I found the cd version of Live Undead with 2 more songs and I had to have it. For some ungodly reason they cut the drum solo intro off Show No Mercy! Why? It was a minute long and set the song up perfectly.

Foe someone who thinks drum solo's are a total waste of time these days, that solo and that type of solo is perfect and I wish they would bring it back.

A Slayer show ending with Angel of Death... people thinking the show is over... crazy drum solo into Show No Mercy... I can die happy!

#29 - Slayer - Show No Mercy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ1Qscvewpw)

This is close but the Live Undead version sounds so much better!

Slayer - Show No Mercy Live w/ Drum Solo intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aODIemdeGI&feature=related)

JRA
10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
A Slayer show ending with Angel of Death... people thinking the show is over... crazy drum solo into Show No Mercy... I can die happy!

That would be the best thing ever.

PowerMaiden
10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
SSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG GGGGGG !!!!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I absolutely HATED this song the 1st time I heard it. My buddy went to see Shannon Larkin's band Amen open for someone in Myrtle Beach and all he could talk about was the drummer in Lamb of God who opened the show. He said this guy blew Shannon off the stage and I told him he had to be crazy.

At 1st listen I thought the vocals were a total clown car but had to give props to the drumming and music. I couldn't get into the band because of the vocals and just wrote them off.

A few years later I heard Ruin, Vigil and 11th Hour and the band started to grow on me. Laid to Rest was probably the song that finally got me to go back and really get into the older stuff and become a fan. I know some people aren't into them but I'm glad I was open minded enough and didn't let the 1st horrible impression of them be the last.

I still wish they would re-record some of the older songs with better vocals but at this point that is probably a pipe dream. The vocals on this cd are still a clown car to me. I prefer the live version of this song but used the video since it's kinda cool.

#28 - Lamb of God - Black Label (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh2vPCRRRNA)

jhdeity
10-20-2011, 06:49 AM
I can't think of many positive things that came out of the last version of Headbangers Ball when Jasta hosted. I usually FF'd through 80% of the show and got tired of seeing the same crap over after over. One video I saw played at the end a few times was this weird man in a small room with tv/ dead bird/chick flying thing. At 1st I was like WTF? but halfway through that brutal breakdown kicked in and it was one of the heaviest things I've ever heard. I waited to the end and it was Gojira - To Sirius. Went out and picked up the cd the next day and threw it in my cd player.

I can't think of too many cd's that start off heavier than Ocean Planet and Backbone. I knew I got my money's worth right there.

#27 - Gojira - Ocean Planet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTX4lum-HIQ)

SomewhereInTime72
10-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Fuckin love Gojira. heavy as hell :rocker:

jhdeity
10-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Being a fan of Sepultura's older stuff I was really looking forward to them finally being produced properly and working with translators to possibly make the vocals and lyrics better. What they produced was far beyond my expectations. Their 3rd cd is an absolute masterpiece and totally floored me. I can't think of any band that made a greater leap from their 2nd to 3rd cd than these guys.

The intro to Beneath the Remains really sets you up for the sucker punch too. The more I listened to the intro the more I was thinking here comes the muddy production and then it just explodes in your face. I can easily see this song being Top 10 on some lists. If I made this list a few years ago it probably would have been higher on mine also.

While I really respect their later efforts I still hold this cd in the highest regard because it still encompasses their earlier style and shows the true progression into Arise and Chaos AD. As far as 3-album streaks go this cd started one of the 10 best for sure.

#26 - Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTrevt0rP74)

JRA
10-22-2011, 06:44 AM
WHO WHO WHO HAS WON

WHO WHO WHO HAS DIED

BENEATH THE REMAAAAAAAINS!

That closing slavo of riffs breaks my neck every time.

El Gordo
10-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Being a fan of Sepultura's older stuff I was really looking forward to them finally being produced properly and working with translators to possibly make the vocals and lyrics better. What they produced was far beyond my expectations. Their 3rd cd is an absolute masterpiece and totally floored me. I can't think of any band that made a greater leap from their 2nd to 3rd cd than these guys.

The intro to Beneath the Remains really sets you up for the sucker punch too. The more I listened to the intro the more I was thinking here comes the muddy production and then it just explodes in your face. I can easily see this song being Top 10 on some lists. If I made this list a few years ago it probably would have been higher on mine also.

While I really respect their later efforts I still hold this cd in the highest regard because it still encompasses their earlier style and shows the true progression into Arise and Chaos AD. As far as 3-album streaks go this cd started one of the 10 best for sure.

#26 - Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTrevt0rP74)

I love Beneath the Remains but I think you're selling Schizophrenia short. If anything Schizophrenia had crazier, more aggressive riffing than what came after it. I know you're not trashing Schizo here but to say Beneath was a big leap is wrong, I think. The two albums are very close, with the only major difference being the production.

jhdeity
10-22-2011, 07:19 AM
I love Beneath the Remains but I think you're selling Schizophrenia short. If anything Schizophrenia had crazier, more aggressive riffing than what came after it. I know you're not trashing Schizo here but to say Beneath was a big leap is wrong, I think. The two albums are very close, with the only major difference being the production.

Yeah I loved the album. Escape to the Void was #42 on the list. I just found after they released their next few albums I rarely ever went back to Morbid Visions or Schizophrenia. I would always grab Troops of Doom, Escape to the Void, RIP and select others for compilation cd's but rarely ever listened to them start to finish. Actually I started liking the live versions of those songs so much that I would use those on my compilations.

Maybe I do need to throw those gems in to hear them with fresh ears. I always liked that instrumental on Schizo too.

x-voltage
10-22-2011, 08:46 AM
Black Label!!!!!!!!! I think the vocals are very poorly recorded on that album, but they are so fuckin good on every other album, it just cancels it out. I play guitar, and Black Label is so fun to play, especially in a live setting.

jhdeity
10-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Black Label!!!!!!!!! I think the vocals are very poorly recorded on that album, but they are so fuckin good on every other album, it just cancels it out. I play guitar, and Black Label is so fun to play, especially in a live setting.

I could imagine. The drums in that songs are insane so playing along with that would be incredible I'm sure. I picked up that Hourglass set they released last year and loved it but I was hoping they would re-record NAG. Some of those songs are totally worth the effort and deserve better vocals.

jhdeity
10-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Before I get into the Top 25 I wanted to throw the 1st surprise in there. Getting back to compilation cd's. This list are all songs under 2 minutes I used to use as filler for compilations when there was 2 minutes of less left at the end. Some were great as intros into other songs and some were just the perfect way to end a great cd. Most are classics and some you may have never heard. Enjoy!

Nuclear Assault - Hang The Pope (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79_xwxrjoCw)
D.R.I - You Say I'm Scum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-LC2pPtDKs)
S.O.D - Chromatic Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEZ5kBCwd8)
Righteous Pigs - Celibate Tease (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGqQR_FqGLI&feature=related)
Flotsam & Jetsam - Kill All Bouncers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsisorH6QKE)
Hatebreed - Driven By Suffering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZUhAXc2HEQ)
Muzza Chunka - Dim Sum Brunch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZMNuklZe0E)
Clutch - One Eye Dollar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFnpXSN3OSU)
Hed PE - Not Ded Yet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wwcjz43HPM)
Slayer - Necrophobic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkh1IYNn14s)
Toxic Holocaust - Warfare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmy8K_tg6LI)
Suicidal Tendencies - I Shot the Devil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLcnFVpuGyM)
Hatebreed - Conceived Through an Act of Violence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBWq1OtN7Cc)

jhdeity
10-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Heard One Eye Dollar at the strip club where Alexis Ford was dancing tonight. Seeing a hottie dance while the Ravens are losing to one of the worst teams in football was so surreal. WTF Flacco?

hellawaits77ny
10-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Beneath The Remains!!:rocker:

jhdeity
10-27-2011, 06:05 AM
TOP 25...

The 2nd song on this list off this masterpiece of an album. I never noticed the similarity JRA mentioned between this and Mutialtion before but I kinda hear it now. Maybe that explains why they've both been my 2 favorite songs off this cd for years. While most bands start an album off with their best songs I noticed at least 5 of my Top 25 are the last songs on the album including #1. I didn't notice that before but it's kinda interesting.

Maybe I can finally get that "nose to the mirror" verse from You Say I'm Scum outta my head now. hahaha

#25 - Death - Scream Bloody Gore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHuqcVAaIN8)

GarageMetal468
10-27-2011, 06:20 AM
TOP 25...

The 2nd song on this list off this masterpiece of an album. I never noticed the similarity JRA mentioned between this and Mutialtion before but I kinda hear it now. Maybe that explains why they've both been my 2 favorite songs off this cd for years. While most bands start an album off with their best songs I noticed at least 5 of my Top 25 are the last songs on the album including #1. I didn't notice that before but it's kinda interesting.

Maybe I can finally get that "nose to the mirror" verse from You Say I'm Scum outta my head now. hahaha

#25 - Death - Scream Bloody Gore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRh8C3AUVWo)

Hell yeah, glad to know that someone else considers Scream Bloody Gore one of their favorite Death albums. Everyone I know doesn't like it as much.

jhdeity
10-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Hell yeah, glad to know that someone else considers Scream Bloody Gore one of their favorite Death albums. Everyone I know doesn't like it as much.

Yeah I totally get why so many people worship the other Death albums but this one will always be my favorite. This coming from a guy who thinks Gene Hoglan is one of the 5 best drummers to ever live. Go figure...

PowerMaiden
10-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I've listened to a big bunch of Death last night for the first time in my life.

Amazing band and from what I understand they almost changed musicians every 2 albums or so. Still I'm a fan now

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
10-27-2011, 07:12 PM
I've listened to a big bunch of Death last night for the first time in my life.

Amazing band and from what I understand they almost changed musicians every 2 albums or so. Still I'm a fan now

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Yeah normally that's a bad thing but with Death is was like a supergroup reforming every few years.

JRA
10-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Yea Chuck got away with it because he was such a great songwriter (although the fact that he played everything but the drums on SBG probably helped too).

jhdeity
10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Speaking of Gene Hoglan, this is the 1st song I ever heard him play on and I was a fan from jump. A buddy kept talking about Dark Angel and I thought he meant Death Angel who I had recently gotten into but he corrected me and said this band blows that band away. I had to hear it with my own ears and he was right. As much as I like Death Angel, none of their albums would crack my Top 30 but this one would be Top 10 for me. I love every song. If you haven't heard this album I highly recommend checking it out. I'm surprised how many of my friends have never heard of them or heard this album. They're missing out...

#24 - Dark Angel - Darkness Descends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWLbgqCkUk)

City is guilty...

Crime is Life...

Sentence is Death...

DARKNESS DESCENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hellawaits77ny
10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Heard One Eye Dollar at the strip club where Alexis Ford was dancing tonight. Seeing a hottie dance while the Ravens are losing to one of the worst teams in football was so surreal. WTF Flacco?

Nice. Love when clubs have featured dancers. I missed Aubrey(Audrey?) Bitomi by less than a week when I was in Palm Beach in '09.

jhdeity
10-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Nice. Love when clubs have featured dancers. I missed Aubrey(Audrey?) Bitomi by less than a week when I was in Palm Beach in '09.

Yeah Audrey Bitoni danced here with Gianna Michaels. The 2 of them put on one helluva spectacle. Audrey is smokin' hot and Gianna might have the best naturals out there. She was the parasailing chick in Pirahna 3D. I remember seeing that scene and saying I want to be a Pirahna in my next life. hahaha

Now if I can just get You Say I'm Scum outta my head. Damn that song is addicting!

Nater
10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah Audrey Bitoni danced here with Gianna Michaels. The 2 of them put on one helluva spectacle. Audrey is smokin' hot and Gianna might have the best naturals out there. She was the parasailing chick in Pirahna 3D. I remember seeing that scene and saying I want to be a Pirahna in my next life. hahaha

Now if I can just get You Say I'm Scum outta my head. Damn that song is addicting!

I am so jealous that you saw Gianna in person. I would have died 3 times just to have seen her dance live. Dear god....:drool:

JRA
10-28-2011, 09:37 PM
City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
Darkness Descends

City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
Darkness Descends

City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
Darkness Descends

City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
DARKNESS DESCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENDS

I'm surprised you didn't mention on how Metallica ripped off that opening section of the song for One.

jhdeity
10-29-2011, 02:38 PM
City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
Darkness Descends

City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
Darkness Descends

City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
Darkness Descends

City is guilty...
Crime is Life...
Sentence is Death...
DARKNESS DESCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENDS

I'm surprised you didn't mention on how Metallica ripped off that opening section of the song for One.

I kinda noticed that before but you're totally right. DAYUM!

jhdeity
10-30-2011, 03:28 PM
The only Anthrax song on the list clocks in at #23. I'm not 100% sure it's my favorite Anthrax song but it's definitely the best one to headbang to for me. I don't care what I'm doing if I hear those transitions into the fast parts I always lose it. Even the main riff is great to headbang to.

Last time I saw Anthrax I really only had to hear this song. They were only playing it sporadically and when they broke into it I went ballistic. The fact that this song isn't a live staple like the monotonous Antisocial is a total travesty to me.

If someone asked me who is the absolute worst band at picking setlists Anthrax would be Top 3 for sure. I love so many of their songs yet they continue to only play the songs their true fans have heard over and over again. Even the newest headlining setlist is below par for a band with so many great albums and songs. A.I.R. should be played every night. Period.

#23 - Anthrax - A.I.R. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Xuo4PNfR4)

jhdeity
10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
This was my favorite song for a few years. I just couldn't get enough of it or the entire Swallowed in Black album for that matter. This song really highlights drummer Jon Allen and godlike bassist Steve DiGiorgio's bond. I could go on and on why I love this song but check it out and see what you think.

#22 - Sadus - Oracle of Obmission (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1iYzHnUQ5g)

x-voltage
10-31-2011, 09:42 PM
A.I.R. fuckin rocks. And yes, they are very bad at picking set lists. They need to include a lot more from The Persistence of Time:rocker:

jhdeity
11-01-2011, 04:07 PM
A.I.R. fuckin rocks. And yes, they are very bad at picking set lists. They need to include a lot more from The Persistence of Time:rocker:

Totally agree. Lose Metal Thrashing Mad too. I don't hate it but In My World was incredible when I saw Joey do it solo.

jhdeity
11-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Exhorder were one of the main bands targeted by the PMRC back in the day. When you put out an album called Slaughter in the Vatican I guess you expect some of that and it did hinder Roadrunner from properly supporting them and putting them on tours. On the other hand the publicity they received by being on Geraldo and news shows should have been priceless.

Between that and once Pantera blew up then named Exhorder as one of their main influences you would think this band had everything it took to be huge. Their 2nd album they changed their guitar sound to sound more like Pantera and everyone expected them to blow up. It never happened. I have no idea why but they never put out another album and never toured around here for this album. The only word in interviews was that they were all slackers and just wanted to play local clubs and party. If that's true, what a waste.

The Law is a great album and one of my favorites back in the day. I still throw it in and jam out every once in a while and this song always gets me singing and headbanging. It's just something about it.

#21 - Exhorder - (Cadence of) The Dirge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvhvsCrOSE)

jhdeity
11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Before I delve into the Top 20 I wanted to throw in the 2nd of 3 "Bonus" lists.

These are all songs from semi-obscure or totally obscure bands or bands most people on here haven't heard that might interest classic thrash lovers. These were all on my long list when I started making a list and they all missed the cut for various reasons.

Xentrix - No Compromise (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUXmZUAJ6E)
Assassin - Nemesis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ag7jcIRczk)
EXE - Slaughter Disorder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly8Ru19upUU)
Abattoir - Screams From The Grave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r72OJrfQLug)
Wargasm - Humanoid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-USkm107E)
Cancer - CFC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEOYqfZa2JQ)
I.N.C - Indestructable Noise Command (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcr8pFS30yU )
Morbid Saint - Darkness Unseen ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vWzMuUgOzM)
Indestroy - The Gate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJjVedEo0W8&feature=related)
Whiplash - Thrash Till Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-xxB4Xymo)

jhdeity
11-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Kicking off the Top 20 is a classic song off a thrash masterpiece. Like many people I have my issues with their vocals at times but this song is as good as Exodus gets. The solo still floors me to this day. I could have chosen several songs from Bonded By Blood but this one rocked me the most live so it's the highest Exodus song on the list.

#20 - Exodus - Strike of the Beast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4zjr8uiL7A)

hellawaits77ny
11-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I am so jealous that you saw Gianna in person. I would have died 3 times just to have seen her dance live. Dear god....:drool:

Same here!! I love her! Ya know, she escorts in LA.

jhdeity
11-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Damn. can you imagine some idiot horny dude opening the door and getting that? Unreal. She looked incredible in Pirahna 3D.

Funny thing is the place she danced is just a stage then they have to crawl around the oval bar to collect money. It's cool because you get a chance to talk with them. She was really cool and at the end I asked her is she was really discovered at a place called Dick's Drive Inn and she laughed and said yes. How ironic? hahahaha

Jesse Jane is there tonight but I gotta do my duty and support the local music scene. My brothers band is playing 10 min from there so between sets I might cruise down if the timing is right. Sheas another chick with an awesome personality. She was created to do what she does...

jhdeity
11-05-2011, 02:34 PM
My favorite headbanging song off of my 2nd favorite Slayer album. Reign in Blood took me a while to sink in but once it did I picked up Hell Awaits and wish I had earlier. I would KILL to hear these songs live. I have this song, Praise of Death and Hardening of the Arteries on bootlegs but there is nothing like seeing them live. Maybe one day they'll play this album in it's entirety but I'm not holding my breath. One can wish though.

This song is 5 minutes of headbanging perfection. The speed changes, the air-drum parts, the air-guitar parts and the great sing-a-long vocals. It has it all. I can't listen to this song without headbanging. Ever.

#19 - Slayer - Kill Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYE-uJYCbGk)

JRA
11-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Kill Again and Strike of the Beast are fucking excellent songs. The latter is the best Exodus song ever, and the latter, as Ultraboris once said "Has everybody heard Kill Again live enough times? Didn't think so."

hellawaits77ny
11-05-2011, 08:18 PM
My favorite headbanging song off of my 2nd favorite Slayer album. Reign in Blood took me a while to sink in but once it did I picked up Hell Awaits and wish I had earlier. I would KILL to hear these songs live. I have this song, Praise of Death and Hardening of the Arteries on bootlegs but there is nothing like seeing them live. Maybe one day they'll play this album in it's entirety but I'm not holding my breath. One can wish though.

This song is 5 minutes of headbanging perfection. The speed changes, the air-drum parts, the air-guitar parts and the great sing-a-long vocals. It has it all. I can't listen to this song without headbanging. Ever.

#19 - Slayer - Kill Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xWm1hwlfg)

HOMICIDAL MANIIII-AACCC!!

Great song:rocker:

PowerMaiden
11-06-2011, 08:26 AM
They should definitely play Hell Awaits from start to finish someday :drool:

the damage that this would do to our necks though, ouch ! :horns:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
11-06-2011, 01:12 PM

the damage that this would do to our necks though, ouch ! :horns:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

So true! I would drive 3 hours to see that show...

JRA
11-06-2011, 01:38 PM

Absolutely. They'd probably learn how to write good songs again too.

PowerMaiden
11-06-2011, 01:59 PM
They'd probably learn how to write good songs again too.

I don't agree on that buddy (all of their albums have amazings songs imho) neither on your Murray\Smith can't play the Hallowed solo properly btw, but anyway, each to his own

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Nater
11-06-2011, 02:23 PM

This give me a new reason to move to Cali. I will pay top dollar to be seen with her

JRA
11-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't agree on that buddy (all of their albums have amazings songs imho) neither on your Murray\Smith can't play the Hallowed solo properly btw, but anyway, each to his own

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Ok Mr. owns more Maiden audio files than me or my grandfather can handle. :D Name one example where Adrian and Dave have nailed the Hallowed solo note for note live (and Beast Over Hammersmith isn't correct, they fucked it up there too).

and Nater, you don't know what escort means do you?

Nater
11-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Of course I do it doesn't mean I'm not gonna get up and walk around town afterwards to brag about how I hit that shit. Just saying.

JRA
11-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Of course I do it doesn't mean I'm not gonna get up and walk around town afterwards to brag about how I hit that shit. Just saying.

You just said you would pay top dollar to hit that shit! :lol:

Nater
11-06-2011, 05:48 PM
You just said you would pay top dollar to hit that shit! :lol:

Well yeah! Just because I'm paying lots of money doesn't mean I'm gonna "make love" to her or "be gentle" it means I am gonna get what I paid for and pound that pussy.

hellawaits77ny
11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
This give me a new reason to move to Cali. I will pay top dollar to be seen with her

LOL, I'm going to SF next month. I wish it was closer to LA! Look her up

hellawaits77ny
11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Well yeah! Just because I'm paying lots of money doesn't mean I'm gonna "make love" to her or "be gentle" it means I am gonna get what I paid for and pound that pussy.

Atta boy!

jhdeity
11-07-2011, 06:20 AM
I'm still wired from that Ravens game last night. Flacco thought he was Elway on that last drive and may have just solidified home field advantage for us so I'm jakked.

Ok, the next entry still gets better with every listen. If you've been playing along you probably realize most of my picks are from the late 80's and early 90's. Honestly if someone played this song for me without knowing I would be almost sure this song was from that era also. Vektor are the perfect throwback to that great era of music and they do it as well as anyone. I can only imagine what their new album is going to be like. I'm still worshipping Black Future....

#18 - Vektor - Black Future (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVtbrgcKW4)

larvtard
11-07-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm still wired from that Ravens game last night. Flacco thought he was Elway on that last drive and may have just solidified home field advantage for us so I'm jakked.

Ok, the next entry still gets better with every listen. If you've been playing along you probably realize most of my picks are from the late 80's and early 90's. Honestly if someone played this song for me without knowing I would be almost sure this song was from that era also. Vektor are the perfect throwback to that great era of music and they do it as well as anyone. I can only imagine what their new album is going to be like. I'm still worshipping Black Future....

#18 - Vektor - Black Future (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsudyBzPGEI)

:rocker: :party::party: :rocker:

DethMaiden
11-07-2011, 06:53 AM

ahem, who dey

PowerMaiden
11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Ok Mr. owns more Maiden audio files than me or my grandfather can handle. :D Name one example where Adrian and Dave have nailed the Hallowed solo note for note live (and Beast Over Hammersmith isn't correct, they fucked it up there too).

mmmm, maybe they have never replicate exactly with a 100% accuracy note for note the studio solos live. But to me that's the beauty of Maiden, especially Dave that plays more with the spirit of the moment\ his instincs and feeling his solos.

But I'll give you one thing though, and that comes from a guy who has every fucking official things that Maiden has ever released and maybe over 200 + bootlegs (I stopped counting a long time ago). To me, there is not a single live version of Hallowed Be Thy Name that is better than the studio one. Same thing goes with Where Eagles Dare from Piece Of Mind.

I think every other Maiden songs I will always choose a live version over the studio one (when possible evidently)

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

evildeadjedi
11-07-2011, 02:27 PM

#18 - Vektor - Black Future (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsudyBzPGEI)

:rocker: :horns:

JRA
11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
mmmm, maybe they have never replicate exactly with a 100% accuracy note for note the studio solos live. But to me that's the beauty of Maiden, especially Dave that plays more with the spirit of the moment\ his instincs and feeling his solos.

But I'll give you one thing though, and that comes from a guy who has every fucking official things that Maiden has ever released and maybe over 200 + bootlegs (I stopped counting a long time ago). To me, there is not a single live version of Hallowed Be Thy Name that is better than the studio one. Same thing goes with Where Eagles Dare from Piece Of Mind.

I think every other Maiden songs I will always choose a live version over the studio one (when possible evidently)

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

But the thing is, I'm not a guy who expects a 100% replication. Hell on a good day I'll take a 75% replication. But the thing is, I've seen and heard Dave and Adrian nail The Trooper, Fear of The Dark 2 Minutes to Midnight, Number of the Beast, Revelations, The Evil That Men Do, and even motherfucking Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner 100%. And they can't get right a basic 8 bar solo?

and your assesment of Dave's spontantiety held true back in the 80's and even throughout the 90's and a couple years into the 00's. But now? He's almost as bad as Janick!

PowerMaiden
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
and your assesment of Dave's spontantiety held true back in the 80's and even throughout the 90's and a couple years into the 00's. But now? He's almost as bad as Janick!

OMG !!! you searching for a fight right ?!? :edwink: Don't you dare say something wrong about Dave !! He's fucking in another league than that dancing queen Janick. He a fucking god man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
OMG !!! you searching for a fight right ?!? :edwink: Don't you dare say something wrong about Dave !! He's fucking in another league than that dancing queen Janick. He a fucking god man

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I'm honestly not searching for a fight. But I do believe Dave is really sloppy nowadays.

jhdeity
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
#17 is a song that not only do I love to jam out to but really affected me during an influential time. Without getting into the whole "being raised Catholic and lashing out" story... I always believed there were major "common sense" issues with organized religion and the Bible. I remember reading it as a kid and laughing at how some stories were too scripted and created to influence people to be true. I just didn't buy certain things with the #1 "there is no fucking way" story being Noah's Ark.

Long story short I pissed off a lot of family members and friends with my views and just the fact that I would even question the Bible back then was unheard of. This song amongst others spoke to me in a way that I really needed. I needed to know to "Think for Yourself and Question Authority" or you would live you life as a sheep. I still enjoy a good intelligent debate on Noah's Ark with my Christian acquaintances who respond with "because the Bible said so and God wrote the Bible" to every valid point I make. Seriously that's their one and only argument. It's hilarious.

I know these lyrics might seem a little cliche' now but they hold significant meaning to me and any kid being subjected to Sunday School or CCD or whatever it's called in your town should hear this song in my not-so-humble opinion.

#17 - Sacred Reich - No Believers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRGNQQ47CC0)

I never had much of an opinion on Joe Rogan but this guy is way more intelligent and entertaining than I would have ever known. This clip is one of the best things in the history of the internet. The stand-up is classic but the way he owns the guy backstage is LEGENDARY!

Joe Rogan - Noah's Ark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF9Xn5m2OGg)

Nater
11-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Sacred Reich is so good.

jhdeity
11-11-2011, 10:04 AM
My favorite Vio-Lence song clocks in at #16. Love the solo's, love the speed, love the drum work, love everything about this song. I'm sure most people would choose another Vio-Lence song as their favorite but this one has always been mine from the 1st time I heard the album.

Hopefully some people have overlooked this song or never heard it. If that's the case maybe you'll dig it as much as I do. Enjoy!

#16 - Vio-Lence - Oppressing The Masses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b3FLvQibrg)

jhdeity
11-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Sacred Reich is so good.

Yeah they are. I haven't lsitened to them in a while but this list has really gotten me back into them. I dig their fast shit the most but even their later stuff was cool and different.

jhdeity
11-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Here's a quick update before the Top 15. As much as I love these songs the next 15 are a notch above. Every one is a classic in my eyes. I'm sure at least 3 or 4 wouldn't make anyone else's Top 20 but that's what makes these lists so great I guess. It's a personal thing and thanks for caring, responding or just lurking or whatever. I tried to give my logic or reasoning why I hold the song so high rather than copy and pasting some wiki facts to throw a different spin on things. The toughest part was limiting myself to 3 songs per band. If I hadn't there would be at least 10 Slayer and Metallica songs probably. Stay tuned for the Top 15...

50 Chemikill - Kill My Confusion
49 Death - Mutilation
48 Exodus - Deathanphetamine
47 Flotsam & Jetsam - Der Fuhrer
46 Laaz Rockit - Fire in the Hole
45 Venom - In League With Satan
44 Sadus - The Wake
43 Wehrmacht - Shark Attack
42 Sepultura - Escape to the Void
41 Wrathchild America - Hells Gates
40 Machine Head - Blood for Blood
39 Sodom - Nuclear Winter
38 Overkill - Deny The Cross
37 Rigor Mortis - Demons
36 Souls at Zero - Underneath
35 Kreator - Awakening of the Gods
34 Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Maniac
33 Black Sabbath - Under The Sun
32 Godflesh - Christbait Rising
31 Toxic Holocaust - Nuke The Cross
30 Vio-lence - Kill on Command
29 Slayer - Show No Mercy
28 Lamb of God - Black Label
27 Gojira - Ocean Planet
26 Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
25 Death - Scream Bloody Gore
24 Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
23 Anthrax - AIR
22 Sadus - Oracle of Obmission
21 Exhorder - Cadence of the Dirge
20 Exodus - Strike of the Beast
19 Slayer - Kill Again
18 Vektor - Black Future
17 Sacred Reich - No Believers
16 Vio-Lence - Oppressing the Masses

jhdeity
11-11-2011, 10:16 PM
The 1st time I saw Testament live was at Hammerjacks on The New Order Tour in front of 23 people. I had only seen the Trial By Fire, Over The Wall and Nobody's Fault videos on HBB and of the 3 I liked Nobody's Fault the most. I couldn't believe they could turn an Aerosmith song that I kinda liked into a one of the best cover songs I had ever heard.

I bought The New Order and listened to it a few times before seeing them live. I liked every song on the album but 2 songs were my instant favorites. Into The Pit and The Preacher. When they opened with Into The Pit I immediately moved from Eric Peterson's side to Alex Skolnick's side of the stage. I knew who the star of this band was within 2 minutes.

By the 4th song they were settled in and Chuck Billy said the next song is one that should get this place going nuts and they broke into The Preacher. He headbanged along with the crowd to every note while singing and playing the air guitar on his half-mic stand. Something that would make him famous but at the time was the 1st time I'd ever seen it. I jammed out like a maniac and worshipped Chuck Billy from that day forth. One of the best frontmen to ever live. Period. The Preacher was by far the highlight of the night and it solidified that song into my annals forever. #15 is one of the best songs ever penned and certainly one of the best live songs you'll ever see.

#15 - Testament - The Preacher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQWrWVm9V70)

Nater
11-11-2011, 11:16 PM
I love this topic. I actually just got home from seeing Testament for my first time. Everything you typed up is exactly on par with me except the 23 people part because there were over 500 at this maybe 1000 I don't know it was packed. I died during into the Pit because that was right where I went.:rocker:

Also your list has shown me a ton of awesome bands to listen too

masterguy49
11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
I love The Preacher and Testament, but when I saw them live they were so fucking loud it ruined it for me. :hmm:

jhdeity
11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
I love this topic. I actually just got home from seeing Testament for my first time. Everything you typed up is exactly on par with me except the 23 people part because there were over 500 at this maybe 1000 I don't know it was packed. I died during into the Pit because that was right where I went.:rocker:

Also your list has shown me a ton of awesome bands to listen too

Awesome man. I've seen the're opening with The Preacher now. Kinda cool but Into the Pit just really seemed to throw me into a frenzy and set up the rest of the set perfectly. I give them credit for mixing it up though.

Nater
11-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Yes they are! I don't mind Into the pit in the middle because it comes right after Over the Wall so that gets them all pushing forward then the entire place became a frenzy when Into the Pit started.:rocker:

jhdeity
11-13-2011, 06:34 AM
#14 made the cut for many reasons. I remember when I 1st listened to Master of Puppets and It was virtually the same exact blueprint Metallica had established with Ride the Lightning for the 1st half. You had Battery which mirrored Fight Fire with Fire to me. The title track 2nd. The Thing and Bell Tolls were somewhat similar and Fade to Black and Sanitarium are probably the most similar of all even though I prefer Fade much more.

Flipping over to Side 2 Disposable Heroes blew me away. Worlds better than Trapped Under Ice to me and I'm a pretty big fan of TUI. I think I actually listened to Disposable a 2nd time before venturing on. Leper and Escape were similar to me, I actually really like both songs and Orion was the mega instrumental to match Ktulu.

At this point I'm like how can they possibly match Creeping Death? In all reality they can't. That song is legendary in my eyes and as intelligent as they are they knew that and chose to go a different direction. When Damage Inc. started I was really skeptical and doubting they could finish up strong and fully match the brilliance of RTL and somehow they did.

I didn't expect a blistering explosion of thrash to finish the album. I really underestimated them I guess. I wasn't the biggest fan of the lyrics at 1st but they grow on you. Like I mentioned in JRA's thread I consider Master my 3rd favorite Metallica album for personal reasons and how the music shaped my life but if I had a gun to my head I think I could make one helluva debate why Master of Puppets is the greatest album ever made. It's just that good...

#14 - Metallica - Damage Inc. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLMrce7OJI)

jhdeity
11-14-2011, 07:22 AM
In all my years of going to shows there is one moment over all the rest that truly made me lose my mind from jump. Before this site (or the internet for that matter) you would go to a show and hope you heard you favorite songs with no clue what was coming most times.

This tour was Pantera at their highest peak and while you didn't know which Phil you were going to get any given night you still knew they were going to bring it and destroy shit.

When Suicide Note Part 1 came over the PA I immediately turned to my friend and said move your beers because if they break right into Part 2 I'm going to go totally ballistic. There are only a handful of songs they set up other songs on that level and when the lights came on showing the pot leaves on the screen the tension elevated to a solid 9. When the curtain dropped and they blew into Part 2 it was total chaos. I was going nuts moshing out and singing along. The people on the lawn started heaving huge chunks of sod like they were shotputs and frisbees and I didn't care at all. I was in another state of mind screaming my lungs outlike a lunatic. What a way to start a show and get the crowd out of their seats going crazy.

I'll never forget that moment and wish other music could whip me into a frenzy like that on a regular basis. If Pantera proved one thing to me as a human it's that we all have a monster inside of us you just need to know how to trigger it. I knew if 2 guys were trying to rob me in a bathroom or whatever that I had that lunatic inside of me and could unleash him if I had to.

Dude would be like we had this guy cornered and his eyes turned crazy and he started screaming OUT OF MY MIND! GUN TO MY MOUTH! NO PRETENSION! EXECUTION! LIVE AND LEARN! RAPE AND TURN! while kicking and throwing haymakers at us. We just bailed. Crazy MoFo! hahahaha

This clip gives you an idea but still can't truly match the power of being there. it was an experience like none other...

#13 Pantera - Suicide Note Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdsPwcjBY5U)

larvtard
11-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Dude, I love how you include all these personal stories in with the songs. Really cool.

jhdeity
11-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Dude, I love how you include all these personal stories in with the songs. Really cool.

Thanks man. I tried to do something a little different. Most of my favorite songs are defined by seeing/hearing them live.

Of all the songs in the list the next one would be #1 on my wish list of songs I'd kill to see live. Maybe someday...

JRA
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I can only listen to the live version of this song because the way they fade it out I always thought was kind of lame (fading out songs is lame period, I'd totally be on the Stranger In A Strange Land = best song ever bandwagon if they didn't do that shit). They way the cold end it really puts a solid explanation point on the whole thing.

That closing riff set does rule though.

Sepultura69
11-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Intersting story. I go to pick my buddy who was a hardcore punk rocker with huge mohawk for this show. He sees my Metallica - Ride the Lightning Tour shirt and tells me that I'm going to get the living shit beat outta me at the show. I tell him he's crazy and that this is the coolest shirt I own and he said metalheads get pummeled at punk shows. I laugh and say I'll be fine headbanging, singing along and minding my own business. As we walk up to the door at a place called The Bank, the guy taking our $10 tells me for my own good I should turn my shirt inside out. At this point I'm like WTF? Really? Had I not been wasted I might have done it at that point but decided not to. Bottom line I got some mean mugging looks and took a few direct hits from moshers but stood my ground and had an incredible time.

:lol: :rocker: :fist:

hellawaits77ny
11-15-2011, 01:58 AM
#14 made the cut for many reasons. I remember when I 1st listened to Master of Puppets and It was virtually the same exact blueprint Metallica had established with Ride the Lightning for the 1st half. You had Battery which mirrored Fight Fire with Fire to me. The title track 2nd. The Thing and Bell Tolls were somewhat similar and Fade to Black and Sanitarium are probably the most similar of all even though I prefer Fade much more.

Flipping over to Side 2 Disposable Heroes blew me away. Worlds better than Trapped Under Ice to me and I'm a pretty big fan of TUI. I think I actually listened to Disposable a 2nd time before venturing on. Leper and Escape were similar to me, I actually really like both songs and Orion was the mega instrumental to match Ktulu.

At this point I'm like how can they possibly match Creeping Death? In all reality they can't. That song is legendary in my eyes and as intelligent as they are they knew that and chose to go a different direction. When Damage Inc. started I was really skeptical and doubting they could finish up strong and fully match the brilliance of RTL and somehow they did.

I didn't expect a blistering explosion of thrash to finish the album. I really underestimated them I guess. I wasn't the biggest fan of the lyrics at 1st but they grow on you. Like I mentioned in JRA's thread I consider Master my 3rd favorite Metallica album for personal reasons and how the music shaped my life but if I had a gun to my head I think I could make one helluva debate why Master of Puppets is the greatest album ever made. It's just that good...

#14 - Metallica - Damage Inc. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLMrce7OJI)

Dude, it's like you stole the words from my mouth! You're so right. Damage Inc is my 2nd favorite Metallica song, VERY close behind Fire Fire With Fire. And as far as your arguement about this being one of the, if not THE, greatest album ever made, I would be on your side in the debate match :horns:

In all my years of going to shows there is one moment over all the rest that truly made me lose my mind from jump. Before this site (or the internet for that matter) you would go to a show and hope you heard you favorite songs with no clue what was coming most times.

This tour was Pantera at their highest peak and while you didn't know which Phil you were going to get any given night you still knew they were going to bring it and destroy shit.

When Suicide Note Part 1 came over the PA I immediately turned to my friend and said move your beers because if they break right into Part 2 I'm going to go totally ballistic. There are only a handful of songs they set up other songs on that level and when the lights came on showing the pot leaves on the screen the tension elevated to a solid 9. When the curtain dropped and they blew into Part 2 it was total chaos. I was going nuts moshing out and singing along. The people on the lawn started heaving huge chunks of sod like they were shotputs and frisbees and I didn't care at all. I was in another state of mind screaming my lungs outlike a lunatic. What a way to start a show and get the crowd out of their seats going crazy.

I'll never forget that moment and wish other music could whip me into a frenzy like that on a regular basis. If Pantera proved one thing to me as a human it's that we all have a monster inside of us you just need to know how to trigger it. I knew if 2 guys were trying to rob me in a bathroom or whatever that I had that lunatic inside of me and could unleash him if I had to.

Dude would be like we had this guy cornered and his eyes turned crazy and he started screaming OUT OF MY MIND! GUN TO MY MOUTH! NO PRETENSION! EXECUTION! LIVE AND LEARN! RAPE AND TURN! while kicking and throwing haymakers at us. We just bailed. Crazy MoFo! hahahaha

This clip gives you an idea but still can't truly match the power of being there. it was an experience like none other...

Awesome story! I love both Pt 1 and Pt 2. I have a bunch of DVD bootlegs from that tour you speak of, and just WATCHING it, the build up from Pt 1, and then the absolute chaos that begins w/ the machine guns drums and screeching guitars of Pt 2, I can only imagine how amazing it must've been to see it in person :rocker:

jhdeity
11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
#12 is the song I'd kill more than any to see live. Hell, Sodom has been at the very top of my list of bands I want to see live for many, many years. At least twice I thought I was going to be able to see them and they had visa issues. I still hold out hope... The odds of seeing them live AND them playing this song would probably be "lotto worthy" but I'm an eternal optomist.

This is the earlier European version of the song. It's different than the version I grew up worshipping and I think it's better actually. It's darker and more black metal than the Obsessed by Cruelty version.

I just love the tenacity and time changes in this song. While Persecution Mania has always been my favorite Sodom record, my favorite Sodom song has always been Deathlike Silence. I can only imagine how incredible it would be live...

#12 - Sodom - Deathlike Silence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBxDx4A_Hlo)

jhdeity
11-16-2011, 05:43 AM
A good friend of mine back in the day used to get permission from bands to film them as long as he gave the band a 1st gen copy of the show. I hooked up with this guy through ebay and was one of his best customers for years.

Funny thing is he knew I liked GG Allin so he would always fill the tapes up at the end with clips from the many GG Allin shows he taped. It would be like Dark Angel opening for Testament with GG Allin throwing shit as some girl then getting the living shit beat out of him with his mic stand for an encore. Every tape was one for the annals. Pun kinda intended. hahaha

Since moving I have thousands of tapes in boxes that someday I hope to transfer to dvd. Some are shitty quality but alot are like this clip.

Anyway Pisschrist was always my favorite Fear Factory song. I'll never forget getting an IM from Jeff late one night saying they played Pisschrist tonight and that he would have the tapes ready within a few days. I went to the PO the next day and sent him a money order and waited for the incredible show to arrive. When it did I was blown away. One of my favorite bootleg shows ever. Fear Factory KILLED IT that night and the video turned out great. Here's a clip of #11 from that show:

#11 - Fear Factory - Pisschrist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQeyCAG9R18)

jhdeity
11-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Before I get into the Top 10 I wanted to do the last "Bonus" list. These were the toughest cuts to make. Basically numbers 51-60. Most of these were on the list at one point but got squeezed to keep my 3 song band limit or just by tracks I felt to be more deserving.

Looking at this list, some of these songs were in my Top 10 at some point. That main riff in 4th of July is still one of my favorites ever. All these songs are worthy of being mentioned in a Favorite Headbanging Songs list so I wanted to share them also.

Top 10 starts tonight!

#51 - Slayer - Postmortem/Raining Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go0zDPdFCrU)
#52 - Clutch - High Caliber Consecrator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leS997_lP0c)
#53 - Metal Church - Ton of Bricks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA1LXTjqbo8)
#54 - Venom - Warhead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7kNRp00G3o)
#55 - At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URhmC865SGI)
#56 - Chimaira - Nothing Remains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIScWpfZ2Z4&ob=av2e)
#57 - Danzig - How The Gods Kill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VR1rFa6S0M)
#58 - Soundgarden - 4th of July (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_AfRHtF-p4)
#59 - Kreator - Pleasure To Kill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJzQqm8Gis)
#60 - Revocation - Unattained (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvSI9vVfhI)

jhdeity
11-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Top 10...

This is a song I fell in love with twice. The studio version on this song is one of the best Blackened Death Metal (or however it's categorized) songs ever penned. 90% of death metal starts off so good then the vocals ruin it for me. I wish that wasn't true but it is. I just can't get into the vomitorium or pig squeals that so many people seem to like. To each his own it's just pointless to me and has turned me off of many good bands I'm sure.

That's what makes this song and Behemoth so incredible. I was almost expecting the vocals to ruin it after that incredible start and when it explodes into BEHOLD BASTARD SON, I AM THE EVIL ONE! I lose my mind every time. There is no better 1st line to any song ever! That line alone heightens the intensity of the song to 11. The drumming and shredding guitar work keep it going for a blistering 3 minutes. When it ends and my face heals from being melted I usually play it a 2nd time because it's so f'n great.

As much as I like other Behemoth songs this is their masterpiece to me. It is tenacity personified and as pure and raw as it gets. As if it wasn't already entrenched in my mind as one of the best songs ever I had the treat of hearing it live and my appreciation of it increased ten fold. I included both versions to try to double your pleasure. Enjoy!

#10 - Behemoth - Christians To The Lions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhGQT4IGGaU)

Behemoth - Christians To The Lions LIVE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4QjLEVe0vE)

JRA
11-17-2011, 05:39 PM
#51 - Slayer - Postmortem/Raining Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNL86BI7VWU)

I could understand either song at 51, but together as one song should be top 10.

jhdeity
11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
I could understand either song at 51, but together as one song should be top 10.

Yeah there's a main reason but the other logic is that it's played out. There are at least 5 songs that would have made this list if I just wasn't tired of hearing them.

jhdeity
11-18-2011, 10:24 AM
#9 is my favorite Headbanging video ever made. When I first saw it I couldn't believe my eyes. One of the heaviest bands on the planet playing air guitar and air drums. I thought it was a joke at first. Nope. Just one of the coolest songs being rocked out to by the guys who wrote it.

If this isn't the coolest, lowest budget video ever made I don't know what is...

#9 - Meshuggah - New Millenium Cyanide Christ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_tSyJBsRQ)

El Gordo
11-18-2011, 03:19 PM
#58 - Soundgarden - 4th of July (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_AfRHtF-p4)

Yes. Should've moved it up!

jhdeity
11-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Next up is the best black metal song ever penned off of the best black metal album ever made in my not-so-humble opinion. Many have tried to copy Quorthon and none have matched his tenacity and voraciousness. This song epitomizes everything I love about early Bathory. Singing along with the lyrics you get a total appreciation for his genius. I'm not sure Bathory ever even played any concerts but I often wondered if he could even pull this song off live.

#8 - Bathory - Chariots of Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHYKIt8sesI)

JRA
11-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Next up is the a)best black metal song ever penned off of the best b)black metal album ever made in my not-so-humble opinion.
#8 - Bathory - Chariots of Fire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHYKIt8sesI)

a) Eh...

b) Stay tuned.:D

jhdeity
11-19-2011, 09:49 PM
a) Eh...

b) Stay tuned.:D

Yeah I had a feeling... Nice curve ball with that last one. Not enough people respect live albums. Unleashed in the East has been in my All-Time Top 5 since the 1st day I heard it.

jhdeity
11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I was out of the loop for a couple of days. Football game, Concert, Jager Chicks party. I give Jager a ton of credit. They might not hire the hottest Cheerleader type chicks but most of the Jager girls I've hung out with are cool as fuck and are passionate about the music and the bands they promote. If you're in a band you'd be surprised how easy it is to get sponsored by Jager. You might have to play a few covers to be able to book enough shows but trust me, it's worth it. Especially if you're young and just starting out. They treat their bands like GOLD!

Anyway, onto #7. One of the best songs ever. If you haven't heard it, check it out. If you don't have the Dark Angel - Darkness Descends cd you seriously need to go check it out. Until the day I die that cd will be entrenched in my Top 10 of all-time. I might go a year without listening to it and when I throw it in it always envokes such joy, anger and every emotion I have. I wish this lineup had made 1 more cd but it wasn't meant to be. As much as I like the next 2 cd's they put out this one is more raw and fast and has an energy matched my very, very few.

Speaking of raw and fast I included the Sadus cover of the song. Steve Digiorgio's beastly bass makes it total ear candy. Enjoy!

#7 - Dark Angel - Merciless Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chV95J2WrRU)

Sadus - Merciless Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce2JmNF-V7c)

JRA
11-23-2011, 01:46 PM
It's quite amazing how Steve had such a clean sounding bass tone on that album and still the band was so heavy. It helped that the notes he played during that song do a great job of evoking tension, unlike a lot of bands throwing in a random clean guitar passage in on their album for no real reason.

jhdeity
11-23-2011, 07:14 PM
It's quite amazing how Steve had such a clean sounding bass tone on that album and still the band was so heavy. It helped that the notes he played during that song do a great job of evoking tension, unlike a lot of bands throwing in a random clean guitar passage in on their album for no real reason.

no doubt. Usually guys like him are overrated but in his case he is grossly underrated.

jhdeity
11-24-2011, 04:21 AM
Keeping with the trend of great song on greatest albums ever made...

This was another band I found through a Zine. I always wondered how those Zines got distributed. How some dude in Boston could print all these things up and get responses from people in Florida. I'm assuming they would print a bunch up, mail them to local record stores and basically receive nothing in return. All hail those guys. I still have a bunch in a box somewhere. Would be cool to reminisce through them one day...

So some dude in a zine proclaimed Altars of Madness the Best Death Metal Album ever made back in 1990. Being mostly a fan of thrash/speed but a big fan of early Death I decided to check it out. There was a place in Randallstown, MD called Record Theater that defied all odds. It was the biggest Record Store in MD in a predominately black neighborhood and had the biggest Metal section of any record store I had ever been to in my life. I had a guy try to rob me there once with the old finger in the pocket trick and I laughed at him and kept walking. I had 4 cd longboxes in a bag and would have beaten his old ass to a bloody pulp with the help of Sacred Reich, Morbid Angel, Kreator & Flotsam & Jetsam had he not scurried off.

By the way am I the only one who is shocked that unopened cd longboxes go for $300 on ebay? WTfnF?

So the zine guy was kinda right. I'd still rate Scream Bloody Gore over Altars of Madness but that's probably it. Immortal Rites, Chapel of Ghouls & Maze are 3 of my favorite Death Metal songs and between the riffs and guitar work I have a hard time coming up with a better choice. So thank you unnamed Zine guy. Hopefully I can find that copy and give you your proper credit on here someday...

#6 - Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cer5dnZ3kk)

JRA
11-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Maze of Torment is a motherfucker. That intro riff is so awesome.

jhdeity
11-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Black Friday, the perfect day to start the Top 5...

Carnivore was the soundtrack to some of the best years of my life. I used to listen to them religiously and being raised Catholic the lyrics really spoke to me.

Funny story that I've told on here before but it's hilarious so I'll tell it for the people who never heard.

Once Type O Negative started to blow up Peter Steele did one of the coolest things ever by hooking up his former bandmates and also hooking up the long time fans of Carnivore by doing a few Reunion shows. I drive an hour and a half to a place called Nick's in Virginia for this show and was jakked beyond belief to see them live. Forget who the opening act was (Helmet maybe) but I was jamming out to them when I look over and Peter Steele is standing there. I walked over and introduced myself and thanked him for giving us all a chance to hear the Carnivore songs live. He thanked me and I really wanted to ask if they were going to play God is Dead but thought that might sound dorky so I asked him how he liked doing that Jerry Springer show. He looked at me, gave me a thumb down and a raspberry and walked away. I was like WTF was I thinking? hahahaha

He had been on a Springer episode about Groupies and because he was in Playgirl and I guess that's the last thing he wanted to talk about. In hindsight the God is Dead question would have been fucking perfect. DOH!

Years later I got to meet him a 2nd time and referenced that I promise not to bring up Springer again and he either didn't hear me or just acted like he didn't. Either way he was cool as shit and my respect level for him as an artist and entertainer is and will walys be way up there.

I still listen to Carnivore and every time the songs are stuck in my head for hours or days. Great music is timeless, fun and memory provoking. Carnivore is one of the greatest bands when it comes to those things for me. Check the lyrics of #5. Classic!

I'm suffering from depression
the anger turned within
what do I gain for all my pain
perhaps a seat in heaven?

Don't do what you want
do what you're taught is right
your life is built on paranoia and guilt
don't forget your valium tonight

The agony I must endure
my mind is painful and swells
the punishment for what I've done
is forever the pains of hell
how come what is natural
has to be a sin?
why would God give me this urge
if I cannot give in?
they say don't give up
that Jesus loves me

I went down into my basement
confused and depressed
put Black Sabbath on
razor blade in hand
a Wilkinson I think
ten slashes on each arm
my only wrongdoing
was being born human
and following my instincts
I never was happy
I never was sane
so I shall be extinct
the growing pool of crimson
at last I am pure
witness my sanguineous penance
I don't need anyone
my soul's been set free
death is total independence...

Stand up straight
Stomach in
Shoulders back
Sound off

Angry Neurotic Catholics
It's a sin
Angry Neurotic Catholics
It's a sin

#5 - Carnivore - Angry Neurotic Catholics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEarld5TVTo)

Seventhzealot
11-25-2011, 08:48 PM
Keeping with the trend of great song on greatest albums ever made...

This was another band I found through a Zine. I always wondered how those Zines got distributed. How some dude in Boston could print all these things up and get responses from people in Florida. I'm assuming they would print a bunch up, mail them to local record stores and basically receive nothing in return. All hail those guys. I still have a bunch in a box somewhere. Would be cool to reminisce through them one day...

So some dude in a zine proclaimed Altars of Madness the Best Death Metal Album ever made back in 1990. Being mostly a fan of thrash/speed but a big fan of early Death I decided to check it out. There was a place in Randallstown, MD called Record Theater that defied all odds. It was the biggest Record Store in MD in a predominately black neighborhood and had the biggest Metal section of any record store I had ever been to in my life. I had a guy try to rob me there once with the old finger in the pocket trick and I laughed at him and kept walking. I had 4 cd longboxes in a bag and would have beaten his old ass to a bloody pulp with the help of Sacred Reich, Morbid Angel, Kreator & Flotsam & Jetsam had he not scurried off.

By the way am I the only one who is shocked that unopened cd longboxes go for $300 on ebay? WTfnF?

So the zine guy was kinda right. I'd still rate Scream Bloody Gore over Altars of Madness but that's probably it. Immortal Rites, Chapel of Ghouls & Maze are 3 of my favorite Death Metal songs and between the riffs and guitar work I have a hard time coming up with a better choice. So thank you unnamed Zine guy. Hopefully I can find that copy and give you your proper credit on here someday...

#6 - Morbid Angel - Maze of Torment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cer5dnZ3kk)

That's funny coz I've had that riff in my head for the past few days:rocker:

jhdeity
11-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Speaking of riffs #4 is a riff that gets stuck in my head for days on end. It's also the highest rated "slow" song on the list.

After reading that Decibel Top 40 it's good to see sludge/doom staying strong. I thought it might fizzle after it's reemergence last year. Bands like YOB and Tombs deserve credit for making some great music. Do I think all those bands listed are better than Machine Head at 31? Fuck no! Not even close but I'd listen to bands like Vallenfyre and Mournful Congregation over the Hipster Pink Floyd music with death metal vocals stuff they normally try to say is so great anyday. To each his own though...

I've always considered this song Overkill's version of doom/sludge. Overkill mirrored Metallica slightly in their early days. Some people say they copied Metallica's style to a certain point but I don't think so. Yes both 1st albums were raw and fast. Kill Em All smokes Feel the Fire though. Taking Over was a big jump production-wise like RTL. Master and Under the Influence are worlds apart but the true similarity to me is Justice and Years of Decay. I know a lot of people love Horrorscope and proclaim it Overkill's finest work but to me it's between Taking Over and Years of Decay. For the record I would take Horrorscope over The Black Album any day though.

I love the raw speed and fun lyrics of Taking Over but if I had to pick Overkill's masterpiece it would probably be Years of Decay. It could use a little more thrash but as a whole it just really works for me. Catch me on another day and I'd say Taking Over but for now it's Years of Decay.

As far as 10 minutes plus songs that totally rock (the popular thread on here for years) this would be my #1. With the Playing With Spiders intro of course. I love this riff and as simplistic as it is it fits the lyrics and song perfectly. I liked the Sabbath-esque Under The Sun speed-up part and everything about this song. Overkill's masterpiece Skullkrusher comes in at #4.

#4 - Overkill - Skullkrusher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZpNnamZD9U)

JRA
11-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Speaking of riffs #4 is a riff that gets stuck in my head for days on end. It's also the highest rated "slow" song on the list.

After reading that Decibel Top 40 it's good to see sludge/doom staying strong. I thought it might fizzle after it's reemergence last year. Bands like YOB and Tombs deserve credit for making some great music. Do I think all those bands listed are better than Machine Head at 31? Fuck no! Not even close but I'd listen to bands like Vallenfyre and Mournful Congregation over the Hipster Pink Floyd music with death metal vocals stuff they normally try to say is so great anyday. To each his own though...

I've always considered this song Overkill's version of doom/sludge. Overkill mirrored Metallica slightly in their early days. Some people say they copied Metallica's style to a certain point but I don't think so. Yes both 1st albums were raw and fast. Kill Em All smokes Feel the Fire though. Taking Over was a big jump production-wise like RTL. Master and Under the Influence are worlds apart but the true similarity to me is Justice and Years of Decay. I know a lot of people love Horrorscope and proclaim it Overkill's finest work but to me it's between Taking Over and Years of Decay. For the record I would take Horrorscope over The Black Album any day though.

I love the raw speed and fun lyrics of Taking Over but if I had to pick Overkill's masterpiece it would probably be Years of Decay. It could use a little more thrash but as a whole it just really works for me. Catch me on another day and I'd say Taking Over but for now it's Years of Decay.

As far as 10 minutes plus songs that totally rock (the popular thread on here for years) this would be my #1. With the Playing With Spiders intro of course. I love this riff and as simplistic as it is it fits the lyrics and song perfectly. I liked the Sabbath-esque Under The Sun speed-up part and everything about this song. Overkill's masterpiece Skullkrusher comes in at #4.

#4 - Overkill - Skullkrusher (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZpNnamZD9U)

Excellent pick. In terms of Overkill's doom songs, I like Drunken Wisdom just a little bit more, with that Beavis & Butthead style riff at the beginning.

jhdeity
11-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Excellent pick. In terms of Overkill's doom songs, I like Drunken Wisdom just a little bit more, with that Beavis & Butthead style riff at the beginning.

Yeah I love that song too. Wish they played both songs live more often

jhdeity
11-27-2011, 11:37 PM
#3 could have easily been Postmortem/Raining Blood but I wanted to stick to a strict 3 songs per band limit and in Slayer's case I chose 1 from each of their 1st 3 masterpiece albums. The main reason I chose Altar/Jesus over the others is simple... seat cushion hell.

I'm sure most people have heard about or have seen video of the Felt Forum in '88 when fans tore up the seat cushions and were winging them all over the place and at the band. If not I included an infamous clip with Tom's classic speech from that night.

Well not many people know that this happened at many places on that tour and even on the Clash of the Titans tour. Apparently the word didn't get around back then.

So the Mensa members at The Baltimore Arena decide to put 40 rows of seats in front of the stage with a general admission pit behind the seats with the seats guarded by 10 security guys. My buddy scored 8th row seats so I was jakked to be able to headbang while standing on my seats and have a great view with no chance of taking a Doc to the noggin. Little did I know...

The 1st few songs were great. They opened with mostly newer stuff and the crowd was nuts but not much crazier than they were for Megadeth. Once Altar of Sacrifice started that all changed...

1st people started bumrushing the guards and rows of seats. This made the entire section of seats move. People were falling off their seats and jumping down to not get hurt. I refused and rode that shit like a surfboard. They must have been doing a Wall of Death type charge because several times we got ROCKED and had to grab people or the seat backs in front of us to stay up. At this point the people in the back rows bailed. They either went up into the reserved seating, back into the pit or pushed upwards into the aisle. It was total chaos. I was so happy to hear my favorite song at the time that I didn't care. I was jamming out and praying they went right into Jesus Saves and didn't break it up like they always did with Postmortem & Raining Blood.

As soon as they went into the 1st chords of Jesus Saves I was a pig in slop. I was so happy and ready to belt out every word at a million miles a minute then as soon as I was ready to go ballistic I got clobbered in the back of the head by a seat cushion. POW! I was like WTF? I turned around and people were winging cushions like frisbees all over the place. The guards were gone and it was total chaos behind me. I didn't care. I could tough it out for 3 more minutes. I jammed out like a lunatic to Jesus Saves taking a few grazing shots but nothing major. After that song they stopped the show and made the pit people retreat long enough to grab as many cushions as they could and restored order for the rest of the show for the most part.

Definitely a concert moment I'll never forget and when I got hold of a bootleg copy of the NYC Felt Forum show I laughed because it brought back so many memories. Needless to say no venue after the Clash of the Titans Tour ever had removeable cushions on the floor and if they did I bet they wouldn't let Slayer play there. You can pretty much thank Slayer for Gen Adm floors at venues around the world now too. Reason #28 why Slayer FUCKING RULES!

#3 - Slayer - Altar of Sacrifice/Jesus Saves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY3szDKFClk)

Slayer - Angel of Seat Cushion Hell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qzz6rfuiFg)

JRA
11-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Damn, that's a crazy story.

jhdeity
11-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Sadus comes in at #2. The 1st time I heard Certain Death I was in awe. I knew instantly that Sadus would become one of my favorite bands. I remember when I finally got to see them live I was so pissed they were the opener over Obituary for Sepultura. Sadus had 2 albums and Obituary only had 1 so I didn't get it. Plus I wasn't a fan of Obituary's vocals back then so having to sit through them after Sadus was borderline painful for me. Sadus put on a great show and did 8 or 9 songs. Certain Death was the encore and it was the highlight of the night for me.

I recently put my Sepultura shirt from that show on ebay:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18787

but I'll never get rid of my Sadus shirt from that night. I had to walk 4 blocks to my car in the heart of DC with those shirts in hand. I remember mean muggin' every bum and vagrant who even looked at me while walking. I wasn't sure if I would have fought or ran but no one was getting those shirts. hahaha

#2 - Sadus - Certain Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90bgtLRQIEE)

Sepultura69
11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Sadus comes in at #2. The 1st time I heard Certain Death I was in awe. I knew instantly that Sadus would become one of my favorite bands. I remember when I finally got to see them live I was so pissed they were the opener over Obituary for Sepultura. Sadus had 2 albums and Obituary only had 1 so I didn't get it. Plus I wasn't a fan of Obituary's vocals back then so having to sit through them after Sadus was borderline painful for me. Sadus put on a great show and did 8 or 9 songs. Certain Death was the encore and it was the highlight of the night for me.

I recently put my Sepultura shirt from that show on ebay:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18787

but I'll never get rid of my Sadus shirt from that night. I had to walk 4 blocks to my car in the heart of DC with those shirts in hand. I remember mean muggin' every bum and vagrant who even looked at me while walking. I wasn't sure if I would have fought or ran but no one was getting those shirts. hahaha

#2 - Sadus - Certain Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90bgtLRQIEE)

Yeah bro I'm there with you. Sadus is one of those bands that I like to call "Love at first sight", I still remember when I got swallowed in black. Just like Sepultura and slayer, I instantly knew these guys would be one of my all time favorites. Plus I gotta thank my Cousin who was the one who truly got me into them. Fuck Man i'm still waiting on the day I get to see the all mighty Sadus. I wish I got into them more a couple years back or else I would have totally took the road trip with my cuzin and his friends to go see them headline this Metal festival in San Fransisco(mind you, San Fran is like 7 hours away from me which is why i said roadtrip). :bouville::flame:

jhdeity
11-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah bro I'm there with you. Sadus is one of those bands that I like to call "Love at first sight", I still remember when I got swallowed in black. Just like Sepultura and slayer, I instantly knew these guys would be one of my all time favorites. Plus I gotta thank my Cousin who was the one who truly got me into them. Fuck Man i'm still waiting on the day I get to see the all mighty Sadus. I wish I got into them more a couple years back or else I would have totally took the road trip with my cuzin and his friends to go see them headline this Metal festival in San Fransisco(mind you, San Fran is like 7 hours away from me which is why i said roadtrip). :bouville::flame:

No doubt man. I'd kill to see them again. Even with the new proggy stuff.

Sepultura69
11-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Alright my friend...

I think it's time..........

NUMBUH ONE, BABY. NUMBUH ONE!!!!

:rocker::rocker:

By the way... before you finish off this fantastic thread with the grand finale....I just wanted to say that I HAVE been scoping this thread out for awhile now and it has definitely been a great read my friend. Dude you are seriously the number one mother fucker when it comes to telling epic show stories. I personally loved the "Escape to the Void/sepultura" one and The one where you were wearing your metallica RTL shirt at a Suicidal Tendancies gig....oh and don't get me started with Slayer and Seat Cushions. Good stuff my friend. :fist:

jhdeity
11-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Alright my friend...

I think it's time..........

NUMBUH ONE, BABY. NUMBUH ONE!!!!

:rocker::rocker:

By the way... before you finish off this fantastic thread with the grand finale....I just wanted to say that I HAVE been scoping this thread out for awhile now and it has definitely been a great read my friend. Dude you are seriously the number one mother fucker when it comes to telling epic show stories. I personally loved the "Escape to the Void/sepultura" one and The one where you were wearing your metallica RTL shirt at a Suicidal Tendancies gig....oh and don't get me started with Slayer and Seat Cushions. Good stuff my friend. :fist:

Thanks man. I really appreciate it. #1 coming tonight and it's from the best show I've ever seen!

jhdeity
11-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Here it is... My #1 favorite headbanging song from the Best show I ever attended.

My goal was to finish this list at the end of November before everyone started their Year End lists and I got 1 out of 2 right. hahahahaha Seriously though I'm glad to see so many lists and enjoy checking them all out. The more lists, the merrier! Props for everyone for starting so early this year. I usually don't let other peoples lists influence me very much but 2011 will be that exception. I did a Top 20 in March or April I think and I'm not sure if any of those picks would still be up there. There was so much good music released in 2011 yet nothing that totally blew my mind either. I predict this year will be our most diverse lists to date.

On to #1 on my list. There have been many Metallica debates on here throughout the years. Most commonly is which Metallica album is the best. From memory and recent lists it seems Ride The Lightning is the choice and I totally see why. The album is borderline perfection even though I made a decent argument for Master of Puppets on the Damage Inc post I think.

That being said my favorite Metallica album is Kill Em All. If I were to do a Top 100 albums I'd guess it would be #3 for me All-Time. When you factor in the newer cd versions with Am I Evil and Blitzkreig it takes it up a solid notch. I just love the speed, riffs, solos and lyrics of every song on that album.

I reviewed this entire show on the site back in 2009. The highlight of the show was Metal Militia with the Metal up your Ass sing-a-long. My entire life I've hated sing-a-longs like they do with Searching.... and when bands do the whole which side can scream louder. That shit is so cliche' but that sing-a-long that night was EPIC! Plus they gave us the history of wanting to name the album Metal Up Your Ass but the record company wouldn't let them. That made them even cooler to me and gave the sing-a-long meaning. Nothing cooler than saying Fuck You to record companies!

Here's a link to my concert review of the best show I've ever attended including my #1 favorite headbanging song of All Time. Thanks for checking it out and playing along.

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11425

#1 - Metallica - Metal Militia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1G0TJ_89ao)

Metal Militia Live Baltimore 1985 with the Metal Up Your Ass sing-a-long!!

Metal Militia Live - Metal Up Your Ass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KttjUmACKo&feature=related)

larvtard
11-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Awesome fucking list man! For the most part your picks were fantastic and I fucking loved the stories! :rocker:

PowerMaiden
11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
congrats on a job well done buddy :metal:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JRA
11-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Here it is... My #1 favorite headbanging song from the Best show I ever attended.

My goal was to finish this list at the end of November before everyone started their Year End lists and I got 1 out of 2 right. hahahahaha Seriously though I'm glad to see so many lists and enjoy checking them all out. The more lists, the merrier! Props for everyone for starting so early this year. I usually don't let other peoples lists influence me very much but 2011 will be that exception. I did a Top 20 in March or April I think and I'm not sure if any of those picks would still be up there. There was so much good music released in 2011 yet nothing that totally blew my mind either. I predict this year will be our most diverse lists to date.

On to #1 on my list. There have been many Metallica debates on here throughout the years. Most commonly is which Metallica album is the best. From memory and recent lists it seems Ride The Lightning is the choice and I totally see why. The album is borderline perfection even though I made a decent argument for Master of Puppets on the Damage Inc post I think.

That being said my favorite Metallica album is Kill Em All. If I were to do a Top 100 albums I'd guess it would be #3 for me All-Time. When you factor in the newer cd versions with Am I Evil and Blitzkreig it takes it up a solid notch. I just love the speed, riffs, solos and lyrics of every song on that album.

I reviewed this entire show on the site back in 2009. The highlight of the show was Metal Militia with the Metal up your Ass sing-a-long. My entire life I've hated sing-a-longs like they do with Searching.... and when bands do the whole which side can scream louder. That shit is so cliche' but that sing-a-long that night was EPIC! Plus they gave us the history of wanting to name the album Metal Up Your Ass but the record company wouldn't let them. That made them even cooler to me and gave the sing-a-long meaning. Nothing cooler than saying Fuck You to record companies!

Here's a link to my concert review of the best show I've ever attended including my #1 favorite headbanging song of All Time. Thanks for checking it out and playing along.

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11425

#1 - Metallica - Metal Militia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1G0TJ_89ao)

Metal Militia Live Baltimore 1985 with the Metal Up Your Ass sing-a-long!!

Metal Militia Live - Metal Up Your Ass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KttjUmACKo&feature=related)

That...is a good ass #1 choice.

jhdeity
12-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Thanks guys! It was fun taking those trips down memory lane. Finding a great version of Metal Militia from that night on youtube was the icing on the cake.

jhdeity
12-05-2011, 07:23 AM
Somehow I finished this list without including my Best Concert Week ever. I'll share that one coming up. It also includes by biggest concert regret...

JRA
12-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Thanks guys! It was fun taking those trips down memory lane. Finding a great version of Metal Militia from that night on youtube was the icing on the cake.

My pleasure, you had quite a few great choices.

Sepultura69
12-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Somehow I finished this list without including my Best Concert Week ever. I'll share that one coming up. It also includes by biggest concert regret...

Looking forward to reading it, man.

Glad your keeping the thread alive and kicking. Don't let it end yet! Got too much awesome stories under your sleeve that you gotta share with us. :rocker:

jhdeity
12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Looking forward to reading it, man.

Glad your keeping the thread alive and kicking. Don't let it end yet! Got too much awesome stories under your sleeve that you gotta share with us. :rocker:

Thanks Bro. Working on my story I stumbled upon these gems from my high school days. Some great memories from these shows.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/IMG_0250.jpg

jhdeity
12-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Ok, here it is. The Best Concert Week of my life. Even though it could have been so much better if I didn't have to include my #1 concert regret of all-time.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/IMG_0253.jpg

I bought tickets in advance for all 3 shows. The 1st show I had to enter a lottery because Pearl Jam was in the midst of their ban on Ticketmaster and playing larger venues that supported Ticketmaster. I won the chance to buy 2 tickets to see them at the GMU PAtriot Center and was jakked to be seeing them in a small venue. Add to that finally being able to see Tool, the band I worshipped at the time at Hammerjacks followed by my favorite vocalist of all time Rob Halford and the mighty Anthrax with John Bush all playing the same nightclub. I knew I'd remember this week for the rest of my life but little did I know why...

I took 4 vacation days for this epic week. Both Fridays and 2 days for Tool because that was the night I was going to get rowdy and probably lose my mind. Tool is very emotional music to me and I'm not a very emotional person. Something about those Opiate songs tapped into a side of me that I loved. The same emotion I felt during Freedom when Zack from Rage Against the Machine would sing ANGER IS A GIFT! It's a combination of emotional, powerful lyrics with great riffs that is my favorite thing about music.

So, I wake up Friday, April 8th to start my epic concert week to the worst news. Kurt Cobain was found dead. I had recently bailed on seeing Nirvana live because they only played DC and I hated driving into DC. Not only was I sick that I didn't go to that show but I was fairly certain Pearl Jam would cancel their show that night. Eddie had been canceling shows for stomach issues and this was way worse than a belly ache I thought. I contacted GMU and they said the show was on. I wanted to know because it's a 90 min drive. I was still thinking it might get canceled but we soldiered on.

We get to the show and it's packed but very somber. You can feel the electricity but it was certainly an anticipation for a show that I've never felt. What was going to happen? Eddie came out by himself drunk as fuck and gave a very emotional, moving 5 minute speech about his friend Kurt and dedicated the show to him. They opened with Release and people were balling. I've never seen anything like it and actually had to fight back tears at one point. It was hard not to get caught up in the moment but after that they went on to play 2 hours and 30 plus minutes killing it all night. After 4 encores we were ready to leave and I said I need to stay to see if they play my favorite Pearl Jam song. I figured the odds were 20-1 that they would play ANY song after that epic performance and probably 50-1 it would be my song. They came out 1 last time and did Indifference and fucking KILLED IT!

I walked out of that venue with a feeling I've never had leaving a show. It was like satisfied, spent, happy, almost every emotion out there. This was my 3rd time seeing Pearl Jam and by far the best show they did. I still like their music but haven't seen them live since. After that night any show they would play just wouldn't compare for me. One of my 5 most incredible concert experiences of all time.

Sorry didn't expect such a diatribe. Part 2 coming later...

Sepultura69
12-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Ok, here it is. The Best Concert Week of my life. Even though it could have been so much better if I didn't have to include my #1 concert regret of all-time.

I bought tickets in advance for all 3 shows. The 1st show I had to enter a lottery because Pearl Jam was in the midst of their ban on Ticketmaster and playing larger venues that supported Ticketmaster. I won the chance to buy 2 tickets to see them at the GMU PAtriot Center and was jakked to be seeing them in a small venue. Add to that finally being able to see Tool, the band I worshipped at the time at Hammerjacks followed by my favorite vocalist of all time Rob Halford and the mighty Anthrax with John Bush all playing the same nightclub. I knew I'd remember this week for the rest of my life but little did I know why...

I took 4 vacation days for this epic week. Both Fridays and 2 days for Tool because that was the night I was going to get rowdy and probably lose my mind. Tool is very emotional music to me and I'm not a very emotional person. Something about those Opiate songs tapped into a side of me that I loved. The same emotion I felt during Freedom when Zack from Rage Against the Machine would sing ANGER IS A GIFT! It's a combination of emotional, powerful lyrics with great riffs that is my favorite thing about music.

So, I wake up Friday, April 8th to start my epic concert week to the worst news. Kurt Cobain was found dead. I had recently bailed on seeing Nirvana live because they only played DC and I hated driving into DC. Not only was I sick that I didn't go to that show but I was fairly certain Pearl Jam would cancel their show that night. Eddie had been canceling shows for stomach issues and this was way worse than a belly ache I thought. I contacted GMU and they said the show was on. I wanted to know because it's a 90 min drive. I was still thinking it might get canceled but we soldiered on.

We get to the show and it's packed but very somber. You can feel the electricity but it was certainly an anticipation for a show that I've never felt. What was going to happen? Eddie came out by himself drunk as fuck and gave a very emotional, moving 5 minute speech about his friend Kurt and dedicated the show to him. They opened with Release and people were balling. I've never seen anything like it and actually had to fight back tears at one point. It was hard not to get caught up in the moment but after that they went on to play 2 hours and 30 plus minutes killing it all night. After 4 encores we were ready to leave and I said I need to stay to see if they play my favorite Pearl Jam song. I figured the odds were 20-1 that they would play ANY song after that epic performance and probably 50-1 it would be my song. They came out 1 last time and did Indifference and fucking KILLED IT!

I walked out of that venue with a feeling I've never had leaving a show. It was like satisfied, spent, happy, almost every emotion out there. This was my 3rd time seeing Pearl Jam and by far the best show they did. I still like their music but haven't seen them live since. After that night any show they would play just wouldn't compare for me. One of my 5 most incredible concert experiences of all time.

Damn dude that was a very epic and emotional story. Thanks for sharing that with us :fist:

ahahahahhaah Oh boy I can't wait to hear about the Tool concert. I have only seen Tool once but sadly it was at a big ass arena and I had nose bleeds too. I still had a blast but I just can't imagine how intense their shows were like at small little clubs like the one you attended. Damn, 10 bucks to see Tool at a lil' club during their prime(this was during the opiate era heh, did you ever go to the undertow/anema tours? I sure as hell hope you did!?)! I paid 50 bucks plus CONVENIENCE Charge to see them in 2006 during their 10,000 Days tour and I ended up getting nose bleeds :flame: :hmm: :bouville:

Still....It was an epic show indeed....and don't even get me started on the epic traserz,visuals and weird ass shit going on in the backround on their big ass wall.

IrritatedTrout
12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Damn, those are some cool concerts. Not to take anything away from you seeing the Powerslave tour, it's still really cool, but after seeing Somewhere Back In Time I don't feel nearly as jealous of people who saw the Powerslave tour as those who saw 7th Son, Somewhere In Time, Piece of Mind, etc. Maiden needs to do more retro tours for the younger generation to feel better about missing it the first time around.:lol:

jhdeity
12-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Damn dude that was a very epic and emotional story. Thanks for sharing that with us :fist:

ahahahahhaah Oh boy I can't wait to hear about the Tool concert. I have only seen Tool once but sadly it was at a big ass arena and I had nose bleeds too. I still had a blast but I just can't imagine how intense their shows were like at small little clubs like the one you attended. Damn, 10 bucks to see Tool at a lil' club during their prime(this was during the opiate era heh, did you ever go to the undertow/anema tours? I sure as hell hope you did!?)! I paid 50 bucks plus CONVENIENCE Charge to see them in 2006 during their 10,000 Days tour and I ended up getting nose bleeds :flame: :hmm: :bouville:

Still....It was an epic show indeed....and don't even get me started on the epic traserz,visuals and weird ass shit going on in the backround on their big ass wall.

Thanks man. This was the Undertow Tour but I had Opiate cd before Undertow and loved every song. I still lose my mind every time I hear Jerk-Off. That song just heightens every sense I have.

I've seen Tool 6 times and this was the only club show. My favorite was the headlining Aenima Tour. The Undertow show should have been the best show but that leads to Part 2 and my biggest regret... DOH!

My favorite Maiden tour was actually them opening for Priest on the Number of the Beast Tour. Hearing The Prisoner, Children of the Damned and Hallowed be Thy Name back-to-back-to-back was incredible and my favorite Maiden concert memory. Those 3 are still my 3 favorite Maiden songs ever penned. Bruce nailing every note of Children of the Damned in his prime was unreal!

Nater
12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks Bro. Working on my story I stumbled upon these gems from my high school days. Some great memories from these shows.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/jhdeity/IMG_0250.jpg

I'm uber jelly that you saw RJD solo. That was the one concert I always wanted to go to but never got too. =/

Sepultura69
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks man. This was the Undertow Tour but I had Opiate cd before Undertow and loved every song. I still lose my mind every time I hear Jerk-Off. That song just heightens every sense I have.

Yeah I'm like that with Intolerance and Prison sex. Love those songs. I remember back in middle school back in 01' just blasting anema/undertow in my headphones, heading off to do the days deed, whether it be in the class room or in the bus stop. My mom was the one who got me into them by the way(when i was living her in the middle east)...:cool: :rocker:

I've seen Tool 6 times and this was the only club show. My favorite was the headlining Aenima Tour.

Interesting? They didnt' do club tours during Aenima? :confused:

I have seen great quality videos of them performing 3rd Eye in 96' at the Glass House in Pomona. Pretty small venue which is 20 minutes away from my place. I have been there numerous times for shows and I can tell you it's what i would probably dub as a "club" show(or atleast for that period). Would have love to take a time machine back to 96' so i could be at that incredible show at such a small little shitter. 3rd Eye is my favorite Tool song, period. :rocker:

jhdeity
12-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah I'm like that with Intolerance and Prison sex. Love those songs. I remember back in middle school back in 01' just blasting anema/undertow in my headphones, heading off to do the days deed, whether it be in the class room or in the bus stop. My mom was the one who got me into them by the way(when i was living her in the middle east)...:cool: :rocker:

Interesting? They didnt' do club tours during Aenima? :confused:

I have seen great quality videos of them performing 3rd Eye in 96' at the Glass House in Pomona. Pretty small venue which is 20 minutes away from my place. I have been there numerous times for shows and I can tell you it's what i would probably dub as a "club" show(or atleast for that period). Would have love to take a time machine back to 96' so i could be at that incredible show at such a small little shitter. 3rd Eye is my favorite Tool song, period. :rocker:

Our Aenima Show was at the Baltimore Civic Center but we were later in the tour and they were blowing up then. We may have been 2nd Leg also.

jhdeity
12-10-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm uber jelly that you saw RJD solo. That was the one concert I always wanted to go to but never got too. =/

Yeah The Last in Line isn't usually mentioned on "Greatest Albums" lists (rightfully so) but that tour and those few songs live were incredible. A song like Egypt was 20 times better live than on album.

That show he played mostly Holy Diver stuff and I'll never forget not liking Don't Talk to Strangers on album, I would skip it every time but that show it became one of my favorite Dio songs. Funny how that happens.

SomewhereInTime72
12-10-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't know how you could not love Don't Talk To Strangers on first listen. ;)

jhdeity
12-12-2011, 08:24 AM
I don't know how you could not love Don't Talk To Strangers on first listen. ;)

The intro mostly. It was like nails down a chalkboard to me. When I heard it live it didn't sound great but it sets up the song perfectly

jhdeity
12-16-2011, 10:09 AM

Part 2 finally...

So I took off work the day of and the day after Tool. I was so excited for this show that I started drinking around 2:pm and partied my ass off all day listening to Tool and playing Madden 94 probably. hahaha

Needless to say when I got to the show the opening act was kinda lame so I decided to turn it up a notch. I grabbed a nice spot on the rail upstairs and sent my girlfriend to the bar for some vodka and oj's

I guzzled 2 drinks before Tool came on and sent her up for 2 more. Little did I know she made these both doubles because I drank the other 2 so fast. This is where it goes bad...

Tool came out and opened with Cold & Ugly and I was totally into it. Next was Intolerance, Hush, Sober, Undertow and then Prison Sex. At this point I had finished both drinks and was having a blast scraming along and going ballistic. Then it began to go black.... They must have played Opiate or maybe Jerk-Off at this point because I lost it. I remember moshing, going nuts singing along but next thing I know I'm being carried out and I didn't seem to care. The next day I was hung over all day and full of regret.

One of the worst lessons I ever had to learn the hard way and it couldn't have come at much worse of a time historically. Now I drink beer at shows and do occasional shots but never mix jager and vodka anymore. Had to learn that one the hard way also...

Onto the Grand Finale of the Best Concert Week of my life... or what should have been. hahaha The mighty Rob Halford and Fight opening for Anthrax with John Bush for the 1st time live.

I loved Fight's 1st album and Sound of White Noise was every bit as good and I expected it to be. Fight came out and did a few songs off War of Worlds before jumping into a few Priest songs then finishing up with Fight. Every song was great and Halford killed it vocally. To see my favorite vocalist of all time on a club stage 10 feet away was incredible and he was so appreciative and humble, thanking the crowd over and over again.

Anthrax came out and I didn't know what to expect. My favorite Anthrax songs were still Joey's songs so I was hoping for a nice mix and they did just that. Bush even made some of Joey's songs sound heavier and more powerful live. They opened with Potters Field and it sounded so crushing and loud. Other highlights were AIR, Hy Pro Glo, Sodium Pentothal, NFL and Among The Living among others.

Overall a great show and the perfect atonement for my Tool debacle. I'll never forget that week for many reasons but sadly as great as those shows were I couldn't possibly regret missing half of Tool on the Undertow Tour more than I do. The fact that Tool rarely plays any of those songs live anymore just makes it worse. I've seen Tool 5 times since then and every time they do a "noise type interlude" I think to myself how I'd kill to hear Opiate or Jerk-Off instead of a bunch of retarded feedback. Doh!

JRA
12-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd pay full price just to hear Sweat.

jhdeity
12-18-2011, 03:42 PM
I'd pay full price just to hear Sweat.

Now that you mention it that might have been the last song I went ballistic to. They usually did Opiate and/or Jerk-Off towards the end of the shows back then.

They seriously need to bring some of those songs back into their sets for the long time fans.

jhdeity
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
So I heard a song today that made me think of this thread. I thought I had covered everything but after reading the recent prong setlist I found an old cd I made and rediscovered one of my favorite headbanging songs from a very unexpected source.

As much as I loved Prong's masterpiece Beg To Differ I was more than shocked to find out their 1st album was a total thrashfest. I love Force Fed almost as much as Beg To Differ but for totally different reasons. I wish Prong still played songs from Force Fed because I saw some of these songs live and they were incredible. My favorite by far and one of my favorite Headbanging "driving" songs that I long since forgot is:

Prong - Senseless Abuse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE_QRezRCYM)

Sepultura69
05-28-2012, 09:17 AM
I miss this thread. Re-reading some of your old stories for ol' time sakes. :D

jhdeity
03-05-2013, 07:04 AM

So I'm driving home from work today after another grave shift at the casino and decided to throw a Pantera bootleg in to keep me awake on the ride home...

I can't think of many songs that make me go ballistic playing the air drums like a lunatic but this one will always have that effect on me. I literally felt like I transcended back in time jamming out to this song. Great music never gets old.

Some of my favorite Pantera songs these days are 10's, Floods and Sandblasted Skin, groovier songs that I never really got into back in the day but when they went fast, God Damn they did it well...

adamclark52
03-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Floods is one of the best Pantera songs ever. That outro, :drool:.

jhdeity
03-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Floods is one of the best Pantera songs ever. That outro, :drool:.

Agreed. I listen to Trendkill more than any other Pantera cd these days. Nothing cooler than re-discovering great music that you overlooked perviously. 10's was never in my Top 50 Pantera songs and is probably top 15 for me now...

JRA
03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
10's > This Love

jhdeity
03-08-2013, 02:06 AM
10's > This Love

Several years ago I would have thought that was crazy-speak but couldn't agree more these days.

I do really enjoy This Love live though. There are several Pantera tribute bands including Penntera who are incredible who play both songs and they're both 2 of my favorites.

JRA
03-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Several years ago I would have thought that was crazy-speak but couldn't agree more these days.

I do really enjoy This Love live though. There are several Pantera tribute bands including Penntera who are incredible who play both songs and they're both 2 of my favorites.

I used to swear by This Love my first two years or so as a Pantera fan but nowadays, I just feel like 10s has more emotion.

jhdeity
09-11-2013, 07:41 AM
I was feeling retrospective today and posted this thread in my buddy's facebook group The Metal Yard. Let me just say 2 things:

1) If you've been thinking about doing something like this and keep putting it off, just do it. You'll regret it if you don't.

2) Cherish your concert experiences, especially the rare ones. I saw Ozzy play Hammerjacks with Zakk Wylde as a warm up show for a tour and my only real memories were being 1st row and begging Ozzy to blast me with water because I was dying of cotton mouth and dehydration. Don't let this happen to you! hahaha