PDA

View Full Version : ProgPower USA XIII Roster Announced

Maiden33
09-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Source: Texts/Facebook Posts from all my friends there.

Friday: (top to bottom)
Epica
Redemption
Primordial
Serenity
Solution. 45
Kingcrow
Sinbreed

Saturday:
Symphony X
Pretty Maids
Mystic Prophecy
Mayan
Amaranthe
Lanfear
Above Symmetry

Apparently every band has at least an hour's set this year.

Maiden33
09-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Overall I'd say it's an improvement over this year's roster, albeit a marginal one. I'd say that overall we're definitely seeing more of a return to the general style the festival is known for, and I'd say they definitely fixed the "headliner issue" from this year. I'm not 100% sure if the order of the billing is correct - I will edit it as I find out for sure.

I'm kinda indifferent to this honestly. It's a step in the right direction, but I'm just not really sure I can say it's enough to really get me back in their corner. There's a really good number of bands on this bill that I LIKE - and that I'm interested in seeing... but at the end of the day there's still only two bands I consider "top tier" for myself, and one of them is Symphony X - who I KNOW I'm gonna get an opportunity to see on tour. There's like 7 other bands I definitely LIKE - but that's it, I like them. I don't love them, and I'm certainly not filled with a compelling need to see them live.

I feel like a broken record by this point - but why no Anubis Gate? What about Masterplan? Hibria? LORD? I've been assuming it's just a matter of time for all of these bands for as long as I've been following the festival. Just seems weird to me. Also, I would've really pegged Riot for an appearance - and a return for Seventh Wonder or ESPECIALLY Pagan's Mind.

Furthermore I'm shocked at the complete absence of any of the following artists:
Borealis, Lost in Thought, Malison Rogue, Myrath, Enbound, Eden's Curse, Eumeria...

MPF
09-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Seeing Primordial gives me the thought that they could tour here next year. Hmm......

Overall, it's on par with this year honestly. Saturday only has SX which I would care to see (Unless I'm missing out on a band). Friday look like perfection though.

Maiden33
09-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Seeing Primordial gives me the thought that they could tour here next year. Hmm......

Overall, it's on par with this year honestly. Saturday only has SX which I would care to see (Unless I'm missing out on a band). Friday look like perfection though.

Looks like you need to check out some Lanfear, Pretty Maids, and Above Symmetry (they used to be called Aspera). Also, Mystic Prophecy aren't bad.

MPF
09-16-2011, 11:57 PM
Looks like you need to check out some Lanfear, Pretty Maids, and Above Symmetry (they used to be called Aspera). Also, Mystic Prophecy aren't bad.

Will do!

Maiden33
09-17-2011, 12:05 AM
LANFEAR - "Enter Dystopia" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAbKsWUngg) <-- Just listened to this from posting it and realized how much I love this song.

PRETTY MAIDS - "Pandemonium" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtlV87cG084) <-- They've been around since the mid-80s, but this was an outstanding "comeback" album of sorts.

ABOVE SYMMETRY - "Traces Inside" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8maHmeYBIo0)

MYSTIC PROPHECY - "Burning Bridges" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_bE3-DCII) <-- Yes, Gus G used to be in this band. Their new stuff is heavier. Think more melodeath (still clean vocals though) and less power metal.

MPF
09-17-2011, 12:19 AM
LANFEAR - "Enter Dystopia" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CAbKsWUngg) <-- Just listened to this from posting it and realized how much I love this song.

PRETTY MAIDS - "Pandemonium" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtlV87cG084) <-- They've been around since the mid-80s, but this was an outstanding "comeback" album of sorts.

ABOVE SYMMETRY - "Traces Inside" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8maHmeYBIo0)

MYSTIC PROPHECY - "Burning Bridges" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_bE3-DCII) <-- Yes, Gus G used to be in this band. Their new stuff is heavier. Think more melodeath (still clean vocals though) and less power metal.

Starting to check them out now. Will report back.

MPF
09-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Digging Lanfear for the most part. The keyboards gotta pretty out of place in the middle, but it got back to normal later.

I'm really liking Pretty Maids. Not really sure why I avoided them in the past (Maybe the name? that's a dumb reason though). Great stuff.

Above Symmetry is cool. Wasn't really expecting those vocals. A bit poppier then I was expecting. Still cool though.

I've heard of Mystic Prophecy, but never checked them out until now. I remember Gus G. had something to do with these guys. it's very strange hearing this music without screams in it....that's what makes me like it even more.

Thanks for the suggestions!

ravenheart
09-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Not as good as this year by a long stretch. Love that Friday line-up, except Epica are dull live, but that Saturday is pretty boring. I like all the bands enough, but I wouldn't travel more than an hour to see that line-up. MaYaN are the most exciting thing about Saturday.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-17-2011, 09:12 AM
If Pagan's Mind was on going to be there, I'd consider going again. I'd like to see Redemption live.

ChildrenofSodom
09-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Is it bad that besides Redemption, Amaranthe is the only band I would want to see? (I've already seen Symphony X)

MPF
09-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Is it bad that besides Redemption, Amaranthe is the only band I would want to see? (I've already seen Symphony X)

YES!

At least add Primordial, if nothing else.

ravenheart
09-17-2011, 04:24 PM
YES!

At least add Primordial, if nothing else.

And MaYaN.

ChildrenofSodom
09-17-2011, 04:25 PM
I do like what little I've heard of MaYaN.

RAZOR
09-17-2011, 07:48 PM
I'd go just to see Primordial.

MPF
09-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd go just to see Primordial.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :rocker:

Gotta love Redemption too...I'm imagining a Primordial/Redemption U.S. tour right now....

:drool::drool::drool:

Maiden33
09-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Redemption can't tour, which is the whole reason this is alluring to me at all. At MOST we might see an off-date or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only show they play in the US in 2012.

moobys37
09-17-2011, 10:30 PM
If this is a one-off for Primordial, that Friday line-up is good enough to justify the travel.

MPF
09-18-2011, 12:33 AM
Redemption can't tour, which is the whole reason this is alluring to me at all. At MOST we might see an off-date or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only show they play in the US in 2012.

Which is why I felt so fortunate to have seen them live opening for Dream Theater back in 2007.

...Well that and naming their live DVD :D:D:D

In speaking of Primordial. I really, REALLY hope this is not a one off show. They need to tour damn it!

JuuKun
09-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Going to start saving & planning now, like I do every year, and maybe this year will be the one where it doesn't fall through and I can make it happen.

Primordial being the main reason, of course. It'll also be nice to see Redemption again now that I'm actually a fan - wasn't really into them at VIII (the DVD show,) I was just waiting for Pagan's Mind to come on next. Not my favorite lineup, but it's still worth traveling for in my opinion.

Information about the Wednesday & Thursday shows will be announced in January.

Akumu
09-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I love pretty much everything about this lineup. :D

ravenheart
05-04-2012, 07:10 AM
Apparently there are still 300 tickets left and the organiser has said if they don't sell out, or come extremely close, then this will be the last ProgPower USA.

He's currently not negotiating next year's at all, and has already turned down monitary offers to pay for certain bands to play next year.

MPF
05-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Apparently there are still 300 tickets left and the organiser has said if they don't sell out, or come extremely close, then this will be the last ProgPower USA.

He's currently not negotiating next year's at all, and has already turned down monitary offers to pay for certain bands to play next year.

Yup, it's true. I was taking to Sean Peck from Cage last night about this. I am so disappointed. :(