Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Orion
One
Master of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Overkill (w/ members of Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax & Exodus)
Battery
Seek & Destroy.

Sepultura69
09-14-2011, 03:49 PM
SLAAAAAAAAYYYYYERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAWWUUUh huh

dcmetal108
09-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Their still great setlists!!!!

JRA
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
If I paid for this show I'd be fucking pissed. Allah fucking peanut butter sandwiches guys, your forthcoming albums notwithstanding, you could at least try to make this seem like an 80's setlist.

Maiden33
09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Regardless of setlist content... couldn't they somehow have managed longer setlists? I know they're the "bottom" 2 bands, but if the show started at like 5, how did they figure Anthrax only could afford 9 songs?

Dextrimental
09-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Regardless of setlist content... couldn't they somehow have managed longer setlists? I know they're the "bottom" 2 bands, but if the show started at like 5, how did they figure Anthrax only could afford 9 songs?

They could have, but there's two discerning factors to these big shows:

1) Long set up times. In a big show like this a lot can go wrong, so everything must be checked accordingly.

2) The headliner having an ego. In this case, the only reason these shows are this big, is Metallica, and I would lay wager they said in no uncertain terms that its only happening if they headline and get the biggest timeslot.

kommie
09-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Doesn't it seem odd that Slayer plays over MegaDave? You'd think MegaDave's ego would make him bitch about it until he plays under Metallica, or at least try to get Slayer thrown out since they do have 'Satanic' lyrics.

christopher
09-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Doesn't it seem odd that Slayer plays over MegaDave? You'd think MegaDave's ego would make him bitch about it until he plays under Metallica, or at least try to get Slayer thrown out since they do have 'Satanic' lyrics.

Megadeth did two full US tours last year with Slayer headlining, I think he would've bitched back then to have rotating slots if his ego was getting the best of him.

Epidemic Reign
09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
All of these guys are out of their prime and becoming crotchety old men, I'm surprised they're not drawing straws for the shortest set time.

BloodoftheKings
09-14-2011, 04:41 PM
All of these guys are out of their prime and becoming crotchety old men, I'm surprised they're not drawing straws for the shortest set time.

:lol:

JRA
09-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Forget ego, what about sales and overall attraction? I'd like to think that alot more people know Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells over Raining Blood and Angel of Death.

sarsip
09-14-2011, 05:11 PM
So far, I'm glad I saved the big $$. Arch Enemy was the better choice.

larvtard
09-14-2011, 05:14 PM

:lol::lol:

PowerMaiden
09-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Slayer's set

1.Disciple
2.Postmortem
3.Hate Worldwide
4.War Ensemble
5.Psychopathy Red
6.Chemical Warfare
7.Silent Scream
8.Dead Skin Mask
9.Snuff
10.South of Heaven
11.Raining Blood
12.Black Magic
13.Angel of Death

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

christopher
09-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I think my Big 4 show had the overall better Slayer set, but this show got Chemical Warfare :(

PowerMaiden
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Symphony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UHwJPy2AOU&feature=player_embedded#!

Raining Blood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tO2TaQSqdI&feature=player_embedded

Cheers !

PowerMaiden

WOLVERINEKILLS
09-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I thnk the reason Slayer headlines over Megadeth is due to th fact Slayer has its most popular line up in tact while many people still want Menza/Friedman to reunite with Mustaine/Ellefson as this was Megadeth's most popular line up. While I slightly prefer Megadeth over Slayer, I can see why Slayer headlines over them at this time. Thats no disrespect to the current Megadeth line up - Chris Broderick is a phenomenal guitarist!!!

electrocute1031
09-14-2011, 06:14 PM
the least megadeth could have done was swap out trust for wake up dead, especially since they just re-released peace sells.

larvtard
09-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Slayer's set

1.Disciple
2.Postmortem
3.Hate Worldwide
4.War Ensemble
5.Psychopathy Red
6.Chemical Warfare
7.Silent Scream
8.Dead Skin Mask
9.Snuff
10.South of Heaven
11.Raining Blood
12.Black Magic
13.Angel of Death

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Jelly you guys got Psychopathy Red instead of World Painted Blood :mad:

And of course Black Magic, Silent Scream, Postmortem, Chemical Warfare are always nice :bliss: Dead Skin Mask over Mandatory Suicide is also pretty cool.

El Gordo
09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Dead Skin Mask over Mandatory Suicide is also pretty cool.

Nah. I don't care how overplayed Mandatory Suicide is, Dead Skin Mask is a snooze.

larvtard
09-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Nah. I don't care how overplayed Mandatory Suicide is, Dead Skin Mask is a snooze.

On record, yes, I agree. But in the live setting, it's fantastic.

I've said it before, but Slayer's mid-tempo stuff is soooooooooo much better than their fast stuff live.

jhdeity
09-14-2011, 06:59 PM
On record, yes, I agree. But in the live setting, it's fantastic.

I've said it before, but Slayer's mid-tempo stuff is soooooooooo much better than their fast stuff live.

No and F'n HELL NO!

Personally the reason I think Megadave allows it because Slayer is so much heavier, faster and more brutal. It would be hard listening to Trust after Angel of Death. I would want to rip my face off I think.

JRA
09-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Or they could just, you know, not open the fucking show with Trust.

If they want a different slow song they should be playing Spill The Blood.

Sanitarium78
09-14-2011, 07:07 PM

Metallica usually plays for about 2hrs and 15 mins, I honestly believe that's in their contract that they can't do less than that as a headliner and you've got something like an 11 o'clock curfew to. They're playing an open air stadium in the middle of the city so there's no way they can play passed that.

So, that's the reason for the short Anthrax set. Most of it was standard but at least they threw in two new ones in. I was hoping maybe they would do Earth On Hell or In The End off the new album but we've got their own tour coming up soon to look forward to a few more new tunes.

With Megadeth I didn't expect anything different than what they did. I'm not sure why anyone else would either since they never change anything up even when Dave is healthy. Now he's nursing some shoulder injury and you expect them to mix it up now?

Slayer played a good set but once again it's the usual stuff. I'm sure all three bands sounded great and rock the place hard and that's really all that matters when it comes to playing live.

MPF
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
SPOILER ALERT: RT @EddieTrunk - James just thanked all the Big 4 bands & launched into Sad But True. The jam at the end will be to Motorhead's Overkill instead of Am I Evil

300%_Density
09-14-2011, 07:15 PM
SPOILER ALERT: RT @EddieTrunk - James just thanked all the Big 4 bands & launched into Sad But True. The jam at the end will be to Motorhead's Overkill instead of Am I Evil

Goddamn you!!! I went on here to post that!!! :finger: can't wait for the YouTube video tomorrow!!!

MPF
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Goddamn you!!! I went on here to post that!!! :finger: can't wait for the YouTube video tomorrow!!!

Since your name is a Candiria album. I'll forgive you for that. ;)

Dextrimental
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Sweet Jesus I hope Lars lets Lombardo handle the double bass duties on that.

MPF
09-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Sweet Jesus I hope Lars lets Lombardo handle the double bass duties on that.

LOL
At the thought of Lars going to play double bass. That will never happen again.

BloodoftheKings
09-14-2011, 07:34 PM
What a cowinky dink I was wearing my Motorhead Overkill shirt today. Would have been awesome if I actually went to this show.

MPF
09-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Metallica set

Creeping Death,
For Whom the Bell Tolls,
Fuel,
Ride the Lightning,
Fade to Black,
Cyanide,
All Nightmare Long,
Sad But True,
Welcome Home (Sanitarium),
Orion,
One,
Master of Puppets,
Blackened,
Nothing Else Matters,
Enter Sandman,
Overkill (w/ members of Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax & Exodus),
Battery
Seek & Destroy.

BloodoftheKings
09-14-2011, 08:20 PM
That Metallica set is great :drool:

christopher
09-14-2011, 08:34 PM
CA got the better Big 4 show :D

Blacktooth85
09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
The reason Megadeth's set is short is because Mustaine has to undergo neck surgery. He almost canceled out on the whole show completely. But yeah, that Megadeth set is fuckin' lame. 2 from Cryptic Writings, for the love of God drop She-Wolf and stop opening with Trust. It's the 25th anniversary of Peace Sells. Play more stuff from it

mankvill
09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Metallica set

Creeping Death,
For Whom the Bell Tolls,
Fuel,
Ride the Lightning,
Fade to Black,
Cyanide,
All Nightmare Long,
Sad But True,
Welcome Home (Sanitarium),
Orion,
One,
Master of Puppets,
Blackened,
Nothing Else Matters,
Enter Sandman,
Overkill (w/ members of Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax & Exodus),
Battery
Seek & Destroy.

QUIT ENDIN WIT SEEK ND DSTRY

Butcher of Birth
09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Forget ego, what about sales and overall attraction? I'd like to think that alot more people know Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells over Raining Blood and Angel of Death.

This. Megadeth has always been the bigger band when it comes between them and Slayer. I don't get why they are billed third...

Butcher of Birth
09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Also! After watching the videos, lame as shit... I understand the reason for keeping the fans in the outfield and off the diamond, but god damn...

I always knew the seats would be far away, but that is god awful... Do MetLife Stadium instead, more people I wager would be able to go as well (size wise.)

Thrasher-NY
09-14-2011, 09:20 PM
just got back what a great time. Mostly to see all the metal heads invade the Bronx. Security in the streets was heavy, right down to SWAT with machine guns standing on the street corners. Probably turned out to be the most peaceful event they ever policed.
Bands were good, but I thought the sound was "echoey" and I had seats lower level, row 11... right on the third base line. Not the best acoustics for concerts there. II'll never go to another concert there because of the sound issues.

www.PRIMEEVIL.NET

Webster Underground Hartford CT October 20th

Gramercy Theater New York City November 4th

Thrash is back!

JRA
09-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Security in the streets was heavy, right down to SWAT with machine guns standing on the street corners.

Jesus way to overreact Bloomberg. :eyes:

They really should stop playing Seek & Destroy because the way they downtune it sounds awful. The key they play it in now makes it sound like it's being played by a piss poor death metal band at a high school talent show.

I understand that Metallica downtunes quite a bit of their stuff, and most of it sounds ok, but that intro riff in that key is just :barf:.

James needs to suck it up and sing that song in its studio key, or fake the melody so they can still play in that key (seriously, who the fuck goes to a Metallica show for Hetfield's singing?) or they need to stop playing the fucking thing.

rjturtle9
09-14-2011, 09:47 PM
The crowd looks horrible in those videos. CA got a way better show. ;)

Butcher of Birth
09-14-2011, 09:58 PM
The crowd looks horrible in those videos. CA got a way better show. ;)

From what I can tell from videos, I agree.

makethemsuffer12
09-14-2011, 10:03 PM
If I paid for this show I'd be fucking pissed. Allah fucking peanut butter sandwiches guys, your forthcoming albums notwithstanding, you could at least try to make this seem like an 80's setlist.

Fuck off asshole, the show was awesome. Every band killed it.

And let me tell, you, the crowd was NOT horrible. Good pits for Anthrax and awesome pits for Slayer (best band of the day, IMO).

JRA
09-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Fuck off asshole

No u

makethemsuffer12
09-14-2011, 10:07 PM
No u

:finger:

JRA
09-14-2011, 10:09 PM
:ass:

rjturtle9
09-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Fuck off asshole, the show was awesome. Every band killed it.

And let me tell, you, the crowd was NOT horrible. Good pits for Anthrax and awesome pits for Slayer (best band of the day, IMO).

I didn't see any...

Maiden33
09-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Looks to me like everyone who was there except the ones in the front of the field got completely ripped off. Seriously? $100 to sit there? You can barely tell there's a band onstage.

makethemsuffer12
09-14-2011, 10:26 PM
I didn't see any...

There wasn't a whole lot of people there for them, but there was a good pit going in the regular GA section.

DisposableJustice
09-14-2011, 11:13 PM
I am in Agreement CA got the better show; a longer set from Slayer (although I am jealous of NY getting Chemical Warfare and Psychopathy Red), better atmosphere (IMO) and cheaper

I am sad that Metallica played the exact same setlist from CA with Overkill in place of Evil as the only difference

But still I am sure it was a killer show

Maideneer
09-14-2011, 11:31 PM
Slayer:
Disciple
Postmortem
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Psychopathy Red
Mandatory Suicide
Chemical Warfare
Silent Scream
Dead Skin Mask
Snuff
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death

Corrected. Why has everyone here gotten this wrong?

jd091
09-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Heh. Metallica only played 2 from ...And Justice.

I GOT 4

INCLUDING DYER'S FUCKING EVE

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11583

Maideneer
09-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Heh. Metallica only played 2 from ...And Justice.

I GOT 4

INCLUDING DYER'S FUCKING EVE

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11583

I've seen Dyers Eve, Trapped Under Ice, Metal Militia, Jump In The Fire, Phantom Lord, Fight Fire With Fire, Whiplash, and more...all from shows from 2004-2009. Top that fucker.

jd091
09-14-2011, 11:51 PM
I've seen Dyers Eve, Trapped Under Ice, Metal Militia, Jump In The Fire, Phantom Lord, Fight Fire With Fire, Whiplash, and more...all from shows from 2004-2009. Top that fucker.

Ok. You win. :lol:

bobbie solo
09-15-2011, 12:07 AM
i left this early to catch Japandroids in downtown NYC. I was nervous about what i'd miss towards the end of Metallica's set, but they basically played nothing interesting or surprising all night except Orion. Pissed I missed Overkill, but it WAS pretty sloppy from what i watched, so whatever. I had hoped Metallica would stick with the heavier setlists like on some of their Big Four shows in Europe this summer, but instead they went the safe route since so many people at this show weren't metalheads. remember, Metallica is the go-to band for millions of people who otherwise hate anything remotely metal. I'm not even gonna think about how many people got into this for free through corporate suites ( did get my ticket through my wife's corparation haha), yankee execs, etc.

I dont understand why Anthrax couldnt get another 20 minutes, or why they couldnt drop ONE of their cover songs for something a little more are from that era, but i get it...this show was all about pleasing the lowest common denominator, not making big metalheads happy. ho hum.

jhdeity
09-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Looks to me like everyone who was there except the ones in the front of the field got completely ripped off. Seriously? $100 to sit there? You can barely tell there's a band onstage.

This X 1000! My buddy posted a video of his $200 seats and it looked like it was 2 miles away. So glad I didn't put out that much cash for those setlists and that view.

Jasonic
09-15-2011, 08:08 AM
2) The headliner having an ego. In this case, the only reason these shows are this big, is Metallica, and I would lay wager they said in no uncertain terms that its only happening if they headline and get the biggest timeslot.

What? This is complete BS.
Don't you think this benefits Metallica as much as the other bands?
Sure, the Other "3" play venues they otherwise wouldn't get to play, but it also gets Metallica looking "cool" again, albeit only somewhat, in the eyes of the underground scene.

I really don't think Metallica said, "Anthrax and Megadeth can ONLY have X number of songs in their setlists"

There are MANY other people (promoters, organizers, managers, etc) who work out the logistics which ultimately determine set length times.

To think Metallica themselves had anything to do in declaring the set length times proves you know very little about how putting on a show really works, which is fine. Just have to call this out as completely erroneous.

Sepultura69
09-15-2011, 08:37 AM

This man speaks the truth :fist:

Sanitarium78
09-15-2011, 08:55 AM
What? This is complete BS.
Don't you think this benefits Metallica as much as the other bands?
Sure, the Other "3" play venues they otherwise wouldn't get to play, but it also gets Metallica looking "cool" again, albeit only somewhat, in the eyes of the underground scene.

I agree with everything else you said but this. This does nothing to benefit Metallica, for them this is just something cool to do that the fans wanna see happen. Why on earth would Metallica care about looking cool in the underground scene again? They haven't been part of that in 25 years. When they opened for Ozzy back when MOP came out and that album went gold they were no longer an underground thing. Then Justice came out and they got even more popular and we all know what happened after that.

There's no way a band as famous and rich as Metallica has become give a shit what the underground scene thinks of them at this point in their careers. The other three bands benefit more but even without all the big four stuff Megadeth and Slayer would still be doing all right for themselves. They'll gain some new fans out of this and probably welcome back some old ones but it's not like either of them were hurting or having a hard time getting people to come and see them.

Anthrax will be the band who benefits the most from this. After the whole "who's the singer?" debacle they've had over the last few years a lot of fans just stopped caring, myself included, and gave up on them thinking they were through. But now they've got Joey back which is what everyone has been waiting for and they got a very good new album to. The big four shows and the American Carnage tour was a great way to let everyone know that Joey is back with them and it's got people interested in them again and made them relevant for the first time in almost 20 years.

Autojector
09-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Not bad. I had a lot of fun at Despise You/Magrudergrind, though. Hehehe.

larvtard
09-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Regarding the question of Megadeth being put behind Slayer:

Mr. Mustaine of Megadeth recently set aside some space in his autobiography, “Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir,” to address the issue of where his band fit in the Big Four order. He assured the reader that he was not offended by being put behind Slayer. But he added an interior monologue, italics his: “OK, we’ll play ahead of you guys on this trip, and God willing we’ll do it again sometime in the near future and we can flip things around...”

from the article in The New York Times

makethemsuffer12
09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
This man speaks the truth :fist:

Hell nah, Dead Skin Mask got one of the best reactions last night (the same goes for when I saw them last year, too).

El Gordo
09-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Hell nah, Dead Skin Mask got one of the best reactions last night (the same goes for when I saw them last year, too).

Maybe everyone was tired and wanted a snooze?

Sepultura69
09-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Maybe everyone was tired and wanted a snooze?

:lol:

hellawaits77ny
09-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but they did play Mandatory Suicide. It was right after Psychopathy Red. But to agree with someone, I would take Mandatory over Dead Skin Mask any day :rocker:

SomewhereInTime72
09-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Don't regret missing this.

hellawaits77ny
09-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Here are my Slayer + Megadeth vids. Metallica later today.

Megadeth
Sweating Bullets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdpXEG0uImM)

Slayer
Disciple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnIEGPrErfI)
Psychopathy Red (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xLP-Epz2RQ)
Raining Blood + Black Magic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov1usq-j17M)
Angel of Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov1usq-j17M)

Jasonic
09-16-2011, 08:51 AM
There's no way a band as famous and rich as Metallica has become give a shit what the underground scene thinks of them at this point in their careers. The other three bands benefit more but even without all the big four stuff Megadeth and Slayer would still be doing all right for themselves. They'll gain some new fans out of this and probably welcome back some old ones but it's not like either of them were hurting or having a hard time getting people to come and see them.

If Metallica didn't care about this, why would they attempt to go more back to their roots with Death Magnetic? Why would they tour with more (albeit still not underground) metal bands like the Sword, Machine Head, and the rest of the Big 4 (As opposed to the more radio friendly bands they have been touring with since Re-Load came out, such as Sevendust, Kid Rock, Days of the New, Korn, Linkin Park, Godsmack, etc, etc).

Definitely seems like their actions speak as if they are trying to regain some of the lost fans. Sure, it's not about $$$$. They have it and will continue to make it no matter what move they make.

My point was that doing the BIG 4 helps them regain some of the lost fans.
(Once again, not that it matters to them financially)

Wrecking Crew
09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Don't regret missing this.

I agree after seeing the setlists. Anthrax was way too short, and I can't believe Megadeth didn't play Wake up Dead. Also count me in the Dead Skin Mask haters club, I think it's possibly the worst song Slayer has ever done.

toolfansat
09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
All I know is, I was there, got my ass rocked off, and dont give a crap about what songs they played or didn't play... All 4 bands were on their game, and I had a blast! :rocker:

I'd never seen Anthrax before, and missed 1/2 their set waiting in line at the merch table, but they impressed me anyway. I might just check them out in a headlining gig in November.

Megadeth was typical, and since Dave was "playing hurt", it was impressive that he was even there.

Slayer failed to impress me last year on the American Carnage tour, but they blew me away at this show!

Metallica proved once again why they are kings of the hill. I honestly dont get why they get bashed online so much. They kick ass, they are fun to watch. Let's not analyze why this song should be played and not this one kids!

My vids:

Anthrax:
http://youtu.be/mhvUhHlUGqQ
http://youtu.be/gA8ZMr0IN1g

Megadeth:
http://youtu.be/c-0v3KoyEn4
http://youtu.be/hKtWMhhdQBw
http://youtu.be/U7wuL4m8T4s
http://youtu.be/Wam8kRYXc3E

Slayer:
http://youtu.be/ewruaGHlTxk
http://youtu.be/Y18vxB7l1go

Metallica:
http://youtu.be/pcTVTy-1T0I
http://youtu.be/5TnybRcor-A
http://youtu.be/h0THLMLd3DY
http://youtu.be/JdyWVCAg3H8
http://youtu.be/vaqkCxrqo1w
http://youtu.be/dKmrUcJ9rJY
http://youtu.be/SMIuZ7GVONs

ShatteredFlame
09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/metallica/yankeestadium/4.jpg
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/metallica/yankeestadium/17.jpg

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2011/09/pics_of_metalli.html

Alright get to the meme making, some of these pics are pure gold.

street_burial
09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
dont mind if i do make a meme

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10054530.jpg

Thrasher-NY
09-16-2011, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=toolfansat;396225]

Slayer failed to impress me last year on the American Carnage tour, but they blew me away at this show!

Absolutely! Slayer crushed!! A lot of people were commenting how they translated well to the big stage.

ThrasherNY Factoid -Literally the 27th time I've seen them.....most of those shows were between 1985 and 1993

John The Drummer
09-16-2011, 05:12 PM

THIS :party:

hellawaits77ny
09-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Some of my Metallica clips:

Creeping Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwKH2Ob4wI)
All Nightmare Long (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRS022k9_Is)
Blackened (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVHx24HuNc)
Enter Sandman (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afX4j6TDFwQ)
Overkill - w/ members of Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY_iIkPttwA)

JRA
09-18-2011, 08:37 PM

This would be funnier if it was a picture of Sam Cooke (I think "Another Saturday Night" was the first time a black guy said "Awww yeah" on record)

hellawaits77ny
09-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I didn't see any...

There were a couple. And the pits for Slayer looked pretty intense from my vantage point.