PDA

View Full Version : Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno 2011 w/Stu Block

makethemsuffer12
09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
http://www.icedearth.com/home/iced-earth-re-records-epic-“dante’s-inferno”-gives-it-away-free

Free download. Holy shit, I must say, I had no idea Stu could sound like this. It's more or less a Barlow impersonation, but fuck, what a good one.

MPF
09-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Does this mean Jon will finally allow more songs of Burnt Offerings to be play live?

Just about to check this out!

MPF
09-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Checking it out now....HOLY FUCK!

Stu Block never sounded like this in Into Eternity, and that's a great thing. He's mastered his voice to be the perfect blend of Matt Barlow and Ripper Owens. HOLY FUCK once again!!!

Dystopia is going to fucking kick ass!

ravenheart
09-07-2011, 01:17 PM
See?

makethemsuffer12
09-07-2011, 01:21 PM
See?

Well, most of us here haven't heard anything of him with IE. :finger:

But yes, I am convinced that Stu is perfect for IE (both of them haha).

MPF
09-07-2011, 01:22 PM
See?

I never doubted you. Maiden33 maybe, but not me. :D

I was excited to hear about him joining from the first day but FUCK I didn't think he was capable of this.

:drool::drool::drool:

ChildrenofSodom
09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
God, Jon is wearing a Confederate flag shirt and Sons of Liberty hat. Screw that guy, seriously. I've never heard the original, so I'll give that a listen before I check this out. Excited for Stu's debut though.

ravenheart
09-07-2011, 03:10 PM
He was wearing a confederate bandana and a hoodie with the don't tread on me snake when I met him last week. I didn't give a shit.

MPF
09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
He was wearing a confederate bandana and a hoodie with the don't tread on me snake when I met him last week. I didn't give a shit.

I don't either. I don't give a flying fuck about a person's politics, religious beliefs, sexuality, etc.

If you are a good person, that's what matters. Everything else is what causes bad shit to happen. Just don't be an asshole. You'll be ok in life.

Back on Topic. This is still kicking my ass. I'm playing it on my next radio show.

ravenheart
09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
If they'd asked me last week which album track I thought they should put back in the live set, after telling me they've got "a big surprise" coming that they can't tell me about yet, I'd have picked this. Clearly it's what they meant.

ravenheart
09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I would add, that excuse for not playing Dante's Inferno live since 1999 is one of the lamest ever.

MPF
09-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Well considering how I'm sure Iced Earth doesn't make THAT much money, it makes sense in a way. It would have cost a lot to re-create all the strings parts up to par. But then again Jon could have done it itself.

Fuck it, it's in the past and now they are going to play it live. That's all I need.

Maiden33
09-07-2011, 10:38 PM
I just watched the video... I still just don't like Stu. Something about him has always been incredibly off-putting every (7) time I've seen Into Eternity live, and it continues here. Furthermore - how can someone who just joined a 20+ year-old band a year ago say: "We're back"?

I've only ever really been skeptical about the future of Iced Earth because I've felt like Jon is completely out of worthwhile ideas. Until I hear a new album that changes my mind, that thought will continue. And yeah, I listened to the track - Stu does do a pretty solid job, but that still doesn't make me glow with confidence. There's a monumental difference between someone just trying to clone someone on a rerecording and what that person actually chooses to bring to the table for new, original material - which is what I've always been kinda worried about with him.

I'm also just kinda "over" Iced Earth. If somehow this new album is great, I'll thoroughly enjoy it - but honestly over time most of their music has just really grown off of me. I still really love select songs for the nostalgic factor attached to them, because Iced Earth was definitely one of the first remotely "underground" bands I got into back when I was 13 and metal-hungry... but I just can't really see them releasing an album in 2011 that I consider interesting and relevant to my musical standpoint today.

maidenpriest
09-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Yes!! if IE comes here im going for this song alone. my favorite Iced Earth song

Epidemic Reign
09-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Damn, when it comes to the harsher vocals Stu shines brighter than the sun.

ravenheart
09-08-2011, 01:17 AM
I just watched the video... I still just don't like Stu. Something about him has always been incredibly off-putting every (7) time I've seen Into Eternity live, and it continues here. Furthermore - how can someone who just joined a 20+ year-old band a year ago say: "We're back"?

I've only ever really been skeptical about the future of Iced Earth because I've felt like Jon is completely out of worthwhile ideas. Until I hear a new album that changes my mind, that thought will continue. And yeah, I listened to the track - Stu does do a pretty solid job, but that still doesn't make me glow with confidence. There's a monumental difference between someone just trying to clone someone on a rerecording and what that person actually chooses to bring to the table for new, original material - which is what I've always been kinda worried about with him.

I'm also just kinda "over" Iced Earth. If somehow this new album is great, I'll thoroughly enjoy it - but honestly over time most of their music has just really grown off of me. I still really love select songs for the nostalgic factor attached to them, because Iced Earth was definitely one of the first remotely "underground" bands I got into back when I was 13 and metal-hungry... but I just can't really see them releasing an album in 2011 that I consider interesting and relevant to my musical standpoint today.

The new album is great.

El Gordo
09-08-2011, 01:40 AM
I've only ever really been skeptical about the future of Iced Earth because I've felt like Jon is completely out of worthwhile ideas. Until I hear a new album that changes my mind, that thought will continue.

Pretty much this. Something Wicked was the last one that really moved me, and even that had some pretty boring points.

ravenheart
09-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Pretty much this. Something Wicked was the last one that really moved me, and even that had some pretty boring points.

I found nothing at all wrong with The Glorious Burden, Dark Saga or Horror Show.

But then, as Jon said, he was basically in a depression for the last 10 years and not really trying hard enough with Iced Earth.

Maidenmagic
09-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Stu's version is good, but Barlow's version is a little better. I would have to hear a new song to decide on whether or not to buy the album.

ravenheart
09-08-2011, 04:50 AM
Stu's version is good, but Barlow's version is a little better. I would have to hear a new song to decide on whether or not to buy the album.

I would imagine Century will make a song or two available ahead of time.

I prefer Matt's version of Dante's too. But the important thing is this proves Stu can do the old stuff, which was almost a bigger worry for most IE fans than the quality of the new CD.

Indestructible
09-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I like the new version. Stu has his own voice but also sounds like Barlow in parts as well, which is a good thing. Now we know he can handle doing all Iced Earth material.
Can't wait for Dystopia, this is my most anticipated album of the year.

Fe Maiden
09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Meh....I've lost interest in Iced Earth.....they change personnel more than the wind changes speed and direction.

MPF
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Meh....I've lost interest in Iced Earth.....they change personnel more than the wind changes speed and direction.

So you lost interest because of Members changing a lot? I take it you're not a Megadeth, Frank Zappa or King Crimson fan then?

As least check it out the new version, fuck it's free. You can delete it right after if you don't like it.

Maiden33
09-08-2011, 03:10 PM
With Iced Earth - the only position changing that's ever bothered me is vocalist. Schaffer writes all the songs regardless, so it's not like the other musicians are really having an effect on where the band is musically... and honestly I think in the band's entire history they've never had a truly GREAT and memorable lead guitarist. The other guys are just kinda pawns in Schaffer's game - so they can change drummer/bassist/lead guitarist as often as they want I don't REALLY care. I just get annoyed with bands changing singers frequently - especially when we're talking guys of the stature of Barlow and Ripper.

MPF
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
With Iced Earth - the only position changing that's ever bothered me is vocalist. Schaffer writes all the songs regardless, so it's not like the other musicians are really having an effect on where the band is musically... and honestly I think in the band's entire history they've never had a truly GREAT and memorable lead guitarist. The other guys are just kinda pawns in Schaffer's TWISTED game - so they can change drummer/bassist/lead guitarist as often as they want I don't REALLY care. I just get annoyed with bands changing singers frequently - especially when we're talking guys of the stature of Barlow and Ripper.

Sorry, I had to, hahaha

Maiden33
09-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Sorry, I had to, hahaha

Hahaha, nice catch. That's actually probably my favorite IE song, along with Gettysburg.

MPF
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Hahaha, nice catch. That's actually probably my favorite IE song, along with Gettysburg.

Those are two of my favorites as well. Diary, Wolf, and The Coming Curse round out the top 5.

SomewhereInTime72
09-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Well. They know what their good songs are. They can make quality recordings as a band. Stu sounds good with the band.

The only remaining question about the new album is the biggest one: can Jon Schaffer actually write a good album anymore? Because he hasn't for a long while. The pieces are all ready for him to make something fuckawesome, if he can.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
Those are two of my favorites as well. Diary, Wolf, and The Coming Curse round out the top 5.

Wow, another fan of Wolf? It's my favorite IE track. Too bad the rest of Horror Show is just meh. I wish they'd do Wolf live instead of Dracula.

Maiden33
09-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Wow, another fan of Wolf? It's my favorite IE track. Too bad the rest of Horror Show is just meh. I wish they'd do Wolf live instead of Dracula.

I'm sorry, but Damien is in absolutely no way "meh". The rest of the album, I'll pretty much agree with that.

MPF
09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm sorry, but Damien is in absolutely no way "meh". The rest of the album, I'll pretty much agree with that.

Even Transylvania? That is the best Maiden covers I ever heard...probably because there's no vocals in it. It's hard to match Mr. Dickinson.

Call it Meh or not, but I love The Phantom Opera Ghost (except for the name...there must have been some legal reason why it is so awkwardly titled) Richard Christy's drum section before the last verse is GODLY and Matt Barlow's..."IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU. NO ONE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL" get's me every time.

Onioner
09-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow, I am impressed. Stu sounds fantastic here!

However, this recording has the single most horrible bass drum sound I have ever heard. Please, don't let the whole new album sound like that.

Div
09-09-2011, 10:38 AM
not really into iced earth anymore, but this is a really good remake of that track, excellent vocals.

DethMaiden
09-09-2011, 11:33 AM
not really into iced earth anymore, but this is a really good remake of that track, excellent vocals.

I'm not saying you should be, but this is pretty fucking funny considering how far up Schaffer's as you were when first we e-met.

El Gordo
09-10-2011, 05:57 AM
Even Transylvania? That is the best Maiden covers I ever heard...probably because there's no vocals in it. It's hard to match Mr. Dickinson.

Call it Meh or not, but I love The Phantom Opera Ghost (except for the name...there must have been some legal reason why it is so awkwardly titled) Richard Christy's drum section before the last verse is GODLY and Matt Barlow's..."IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU. NO ONE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL" get's me every time.

I find the entire album to be pretty 'meh' until you get to the end. Dracula and The Phantom Opera Ghost are the only two songs from that album that get any listens from me.

Indestructible
09-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I love all Iced Earth albums. Through out their discography there are only two songs I don't care for(Dark Saga and I Died For You)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Call it Meh or not, but I love The Phantom Opera Ghost (except for the name...there must have been some legal reason why it is so awkwardly titled) Richard Christy's drum section before the last verse is GODLY...

I love Christy's drumming on Wolf. Especially the double-bass during the chorus.

ravenheart
09-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I love all Iced Earth albums. Through out their discography there are only two songs I don't care for(Dark Saga and I Died For You)

And you're wrong on both those counts, too.

maidenpriest
09-10-2011, 04:32 PM

How the hell do you not like Dark Saga?!?!

daimonos
09-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Honestly, Horror Show might be my favorite Iced Earth album. Haven't really listened to them for years, though.

xStructualDefect
09-10-2011, 06:56 PM

This. I love Wolf and it's my favorite track by them, but the rest of the album is kinda meh to me.

darkguardian50
09-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Wolf was one of their best songs.

I dunno about this version. Some parts I like but overall its a far cry from Barlow's masterful Alive in Athen's version. I don't like the death vocals in the beginning, and I don't like that they removed the awesome chant from the middle of the song, and some of the improvised solos are terrible. Jon changed my favorite riffs in the song, and they sound...thin. Lacking the punch of the original or the live recording. Stu also sounds kinda wierd on certain softer parts. Yet really good on others. I actually think he is a very good fit. He appears to have quite a huge range. At some points he sounds near identical to Barlow. Yet he seems to have his own...voice. Maybe I'm being unnecessarily harsh cause this is probably my favorite Iced Earth song. Still..I dunno. I just don't think it was necessary. I would have much rather heard Stu do a version of "Atilla (another favorite of mine) as that song has some rather aggressive vocals as well in spots as well as high screams and I am curious as to how Stu does on those.

I did like the way they did the end of this version layering the vocals the way they did made for a pretty awesome vocal presentation.

ravenheart
09-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Wolf was one of their best songs.

I dunno about this version. Some parts I like but overall its a far cry from Barlow's masterful Alive in Athen's version. I don't like the death vocals in the beginning, and I don't like that they removed the awesome chant from the middle of the song, and some of the improvised solos are terrible. Jon changed my favorite riffs in the song, and they sound...thin. Lacking the punch of the original or the live recording. Stu also sounds kinda wierd on certain softer parts. Yet really good on others. I actually think he is a very good fit. He appears to have quite a huge range. At some points he sounds near identical to Barlow. Yet he seems to have his own...voice. Maybe I'm being unnecessarily harsh cause this is probably my favorite Iced Earth song. Still..I dunno. I just don't think it was necessary. I would have much rather heard Stu do a version of "Atilla (another favorite of mine) as that song has some rather aggressive vocals as well in spots as well as high screams and I am curious as to how Stu does on those.

I did like the way they did the end of this version layering the vocals the way they did made for a pretty awesome vocal presentation.

Erm, dude, it's a demo. Just a way of putting people's worries about how well Block will fit in to rest. The riffs are thin and things like the chants and keys are missing because it's not a proper production. It's not going to be on the album. Take it for what it is.

darkguardian50
09-18-2011, 08:41 PM
I understand that but I'm of the mindset, being a musician myself that you don't do anything half assed. If you are gonna do it, do it right. Especially with a song like Dante's Inferno.

Glad to hear they will be playing it live though, and I heard some stuff from the new album today in the behind the scenes videos on the website and I have to say I am very very impressed with the little bit I have heard. In just those few minutes Jon playing seems more intense and....inventive than they have sounded since Glorious Burden. Not that the Something Wicked disks didn't have a few great songs, but it seemed to me that in some ways Jon had run out of ideas..musically. And Stu's voice sounds freaking awesome. I think Barlow fans are gonna be pretty happy with the results to be honest.

Travis The Dragon
09-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT hear a difference between him and Matt's voice!!! They sound EXACTLY ALIKE!!!

DethMaiden
09-24-2011, 01:25 PM
I ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT hear a difference between him and Matt's voice!!! They sound EXACTLY ALIKE!!!

Nope.

maidenpriest
09-24-2011, 02:30 PM

You need to get your ears checked :tongue:

ravenheart
09-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Erm... no. I love the new CD, but this is just wrong.

Indestructible
09-24-2011, 05:42 PM

There is definetly a difference between Stu's and Matt's voice.

MPF
09-24-2011, 06:41 PM

Not much of an Iced Earth fan are you?

Travis The Dragon
09-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Not much of an Iced Earth fan are you?

I have all their albums and love their music. Why?

MPF
09-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I have all their albums and love their music. Why?

Well...

I love Matt Barlow, and I even said that Stu Block is Matt Barlow reborn.....but anyone can EASILY hear the difference between the two.

darkguardian50
10-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Well to be fair Stu does sound an awful lot like Matt quite often. BTW here is a song from the new album. Sound really good. The song itself isn't that great but its catchy and Stu sounds fantastic. Note how much he sounds like Matt on the chorus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWTVBwH6gfU&feature=related

Definitely will be picking it up the day it comes out.

Maidenmagic
10-02-2011, 05:12 AM
Anthem is somewhat bland but I still have high hopes for the rest of the album. Thought I was going to hear that "We must find our way" song that's been playing in the studio clips but from what I've read that's the title track.

El Gordo
10-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Well to be fair Stu does sound an awful lot like Matt quite often. BTW here is a song from the new album. Sound really good. The song itself isn't that great but its catchy and Stu sounds fantastic. Note how much he sounds like Matt on the chorus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWTVBwH6gfU&feature=related

Definitely will be picking it up the day it comes out.

Not a very good song, but can definitely hear the potential for better stuff on the album. I'm interested.