PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Lamont -- Cleveland, OH -- September 4th, 2011

moobys37
09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
This was a last minute show for me, as my buddy didn't have to work, so the trip to see a great musician such as Bruce Lamont and the fantastic Man's Gin was too good to pass up. We got to Now That's Class around 9 and it immediately reminds me of the Smiling Moose in Pittsburgh. Awesome rock/dive bar with a kickass jukebox. Not five minutes later, the man himself, Natrlhi arrived and the party really began (and by party I mean awesome conversations). Before the show started, we got to talk to Bruce Lamont for a good 20 minutes about his solo record and the Chicago scene. The drummer from Keelhaul was there and knew Bruce pretty well, so we went to watch the opening band of the evening...

100,000 Leagues Under My Nutsack

I have no words for this band. They were a semi-acoustic group that sounded like any band 15 year old hipsters would enjoy. The lyrics on the other hand were, well, I'll just let the song titles do the talking and maybe Nat can elaborate more, because I have nothing.

Baby, I'm Gonna Rape You
My Balls Are In Your Girlfriend's Mouth
Everyone Here Will Die Tonight

Needless to say, I couldn't wait for Man's Gin to come on, and boy did they not disappoint. Erik's voice live is even better than it is on record. The band, besides upright bass player Justin, all wore sunglasses during the set. The highlights by far were the final two songs for me. Bruce joined the band on sax for Doggamn, which was fantastic, and this was followed by one of the heaviest things I have witnessed all year, Dry Body. Nat has the entire set, but I know that they also played Smiling Dogs and Nuclear Ambition Parts 1 and 2. After the set, we went over to talk to Erik about how great the set was, and I couldn't help but to ask about Cobalt. Phil will be returning from Iraq next month, and Erik has already begun the writing process for the follow-up to Gin as well as a new Man's Gin record. Very funny guy as well.

After a short changeover considering how much equipment Bruce Lamont had, his set began. Eric from Bloodiest joined him on guitar and keyboard, but this show was all Bruce. He had a loop machine, 3 different saxophones, 2 acoustic guitars, a harmonica, and two microphones at his disposal. His set reminded me a lot of Sunn O))) in the sense that it had a very drone-esque feel to it, but also was completely unique as well. When his set ended, it took me a few minutes to get my bearings, but it was easily one of the top 5 sets of the year for me. An actual setlist is damn near impossible as much of the set was improvised, but I'll do my best.

Improv 1
2 and 3
Improv 2
One Who Stands On The Earth/The Great Decline
Improv 3

After the show, we talked to Bruce for another half-hour. We talked about his plans for a new Yakuza record next year, the Chicago metal scene, and how the new Nachtmystium will pretty much be a straight-up black metal record. Sanford Parker has now joined Nachtmystium full-time for live shows and recordings. Minsk has also broken up, but there is one final finished record that hopefully will see the light of day. Unfortunately, we had to cut our conversation short and head back to Pittsburgh, but this was one of the most fun nights I've had in a very long time. If Bruce Lamont plays anywhere close to you in any band that he's in or his solo project, you owe it to yourself to see it. You will not be disappointed.

Natrlhi
09-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Well, there's not much to say that hasn't already been said - Moobys nailed it. As it was for him, this show was also a last-minute thing for me as well. I had only heard about it in the first place about three days prior, and as soon as I did, the disappointment that I probably wouldn't be able to make it set in almost immediately after hearing the news of this show. However, the planets somehow aligned, and not only did I end up at this gig, but there was someone there I knew in the crowd of maybe two dozen folks or so...and he had traveled around 150 miles to get there. Obviously, fate was working in mysterious ways last night.

Anyways, I'm fairly certain that Moobys knows the set list and is just being nice and letting me post it, but here it is nevertheless:

Man's Gin
Free :dance:
Smiling Dogs :rocker:
Nuclear Ambition, Parts 1 & 2 :drool:
Stone on My Head :punk:
Doggamn (w/ Bruce Lamont) :light:
Dry Body :eek: :bowdown:

As has been mentioned, we all got a chance to chat with Erik and Bruce, and both were very gracious and even enthusiastic about shooting the shit with us. In addition to the news Moobys mentioned, Erik also said that he'd like to do some more touring in the near future, and he was talking about the mighty Cobalt when he said this. :eek: Obviously, the plans have not been made yet, but he did say that due to Phil's work schedule with the army, a proper tour would probably be out of the question, but they were looking more along the lines of jumping onto an event which was already happening, such as a festival. I'm not going to name any names, because as I said, the plans haven't been made yet, but let's just say that both of the festivals he mentioned are ones which I have attended in the last few years, and there were multiple members of this forum present at both of them. Oh, and they both generally occur in the Spring. ;)

So yeah, this turned out to be one of the most unique and interesting gigs on my list of shows attended. Now That's Class is a seedy little dive bar that caters to vegans and skaters (they even have a makeshift indoor half-pipe that is used on "skate nights"), which is located a stone's throw from the Cleveland suburb where I grew up, and so far, both shows I have seen there have turned out to be amazing (the other was Mouth of the Architect (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=13086&highlight=mouth+architect) last year). Very fucking nice.

Oh yeah, and did Moobys and I mention that we heard a Cobalt song being played live? Eat your hearts out, motherfuckers! :horns:

Natrlhi
09-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Oh, and I think Bruce played some of the material from tracks five and seven of his album as well.

DethMaiden
09-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Godfuckingdammit.

Natrlhi
09-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Yeah, they played that, but it's spelt "Doggamn". ;)

moobys37
09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Actually, I couldn't remember what they played between Doggamn and Nuclear Ambition, so there's that :D How did the sound turn out for Dry Body and Doggamn?

And yes, we fucking saw a Cobalt song live!

Natrlhi
09-05-2011, 07:40 PM
^ Currently having some problems with my digital camera, and not sure about the video quality of the one song I've downloaded so far (Stone on My Head). It actually seems like the sound quality is good, but the video is shitty (the exact opposite of what I would have expected). Still looking into it, though. Stay tuned...

EDIT: Oh, and we both forgot to mention Erik's bare feet. :D