PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater WON'T be going back to different setlists every show

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Jordan Rudess:

"That’s something that we don’t want to do that much anymore, and right now we’re sticking to the songs we most want to play. I don’t know how we’re going to approach it in the future but I can pretty much promise that no-one is particularly into changing the set every night. What we really value and what everybody could never really do to a point where we were comfortable, was nailing down a show. We have sound people and lighting people and what they really need to do is time everything so that the show is really smooth, and it’s really important to all of us in this period of transition to say ‘You know what? We have the opportunity to really work out a show, so that when we move from one song to another it’ll be really smooth and professional!’ We think the fans will really enjoy it more that way.”

“I think that the show has suffered. I think there are fans out there who value having a different set every night because they go to more than one show, but they’re relatively few, and I think sometimes our performance has suffered because of that approach. There’s a lot to be said for a show that’s dialled in – I mean we’re playing in different towns, so how many people are seeing it from night to night? Only a few I think, so why not just do the same set and work on it until it’s dialled in, so that’s what we’re doing and it’s really working so far, there’s a lot of good stuff. That’s not to say it’s not without its challenges, and nothing against what Portnoy did - he led this band for quite a number of years and did a good job - but we’re enjoying where we’re at now, the music is really happening, we’re running around the stage and we’re smiling, and it seems like the audience seems to be really elated."

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Really? Well fuck you, Jordan.

Maidenmagic
09-05-2011, 06:27 AM
He uses the term "dialled in" as if it's a good thing. I've never been to a headling DT show (Saw them open for Maiden and stupidly hated them back then.) but thei back catalogue is so great it would be a crime just to focus on the same songs for the whole tour. I looked at their sets and it's not like the whole thing changes. Just like Metallica. If they can do it so can DT. They could even change it every five shows if they wanted to.

MetalIsArt
09-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Portnoy is laughing in retrospect. :hmm:

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 06:31 AM
I think what he means by "dialled in" isn't the same as the term "phoned in". He means having the show running slick.

But I don't agree with his assessment of why fans want different setlists every night. It's not because people go to multiple shows, necessarily. He's right to say those are the minority. For everyone else, they want different sets because they like not knowing what they're going to get. They like to be surprised by a progressive band.

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Portnoy is laughing in retrospect. :hmm:

Given the amount of success he's likely to have outside of DT... probably not.

Dextrimental
09-05-2011, 06:33 AM
They don't boast a theatrical show. This genuinely sounds like the band are not bothered with maintaining all the jamming and practicing changing the setlist requires, and sell the fans who have followed year after year short. There's a word for that, and its laziness.

Sanitarium78
09-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Well, duh? I thought the recent European sets made that clear.

Plus, I read an interview with Lebrie a few months ago where he mentioned that they were doing that. It was cool that they did switch it up every night but honestly this will be better for Lebrie's voice. He'll sound a lot better live because they're doing the same songs for a whole tour.

There's always a chance that some songs will sound a bit off if they're only played once in awhile. Overall this will be better for their live sound. When was the last time you heard Rush or Megadeth sound off at all musically live? I never have before, so there are positives to doing this.

Dextrimental
09-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Plus, I read an interview with Lebrie a few months ago where he mentioned that they were doing that. It was cool that they did switch it up every night but honestly this will be better for Lebrie's voice. He'll sound a lot better live because they're doing the same songs for a whole tour.

There's always a chance that some songs will sound a bit off if they're only played once in awhile. Overall this will be better for their live sound. When was the last time you heard Rush or Megadeth sound off at all musically live? I never have before, so there are positives to doing this.

I think a big part of this is the fact DT have gotten rid of the evening with format, which, due to how long their songs are, and the fact they feel the need to solo and jam every night, means very few songs actually get played by them compared to other bands. I think doing this in an Evening format would be perfect, as everyone's getting a good long show where almost everyone of the bands fans and favorite records will get represented. Playing only 90 minutes with the same setlist every night like what DT are doing now is really selling a lot of peoples favorites, and even some of the bands 'essential' material will get the shaft because of their song length and style of show.

GarageMetal468
09-05-2011, 07:35 AM
This band gives me a headache, and I don't mean the music

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 07:59 AM

No. The European tour was the way it was because of Mangini.

They actually said they would be going back to their old format after that. This is a complete change of mind.

And there's no excuse for it either. Look at bands like The Black Crowes and Gov't Mule. Every night their set is completey different, and they never sound unprepared or unprofessional. There's actually no excuse for ANY band with a substantial back catalogue not to change their setlists up.

And are you implying that Megadeth aren't hit-and-miss when they play live? They never change their setlist and they still have nights where they suck.

Sanitarium78
09-05-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm sure Megadeth has off nights but the six times i've seen them they haven't. It's not like DT picked bad songs for the European tour either. As long as the set represents the bands catalog well, which that setlist did, it shouldn't matter if they change it up or not.

I'll probably only see them once on this tour so them not changing the set doesn't bother me at all.

Also, it's much easier musically for The Black Crowes to switch up every night since their music is blues based rock and not nearly as complicated as what DT plays. So their isn't much of a comparison to be made there.

300%_Density
09-05-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm trying to decide what level of hatred everybody is up to for DT now. I know its not deathcore hate or Metallica right after St.Anger hate. Somewhere in the middle maybe?

Indestructible
09-05-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm trying to decide what level of hatred everybody is up to for DT now. I know its not deathcore hate or Metallica right after St.Anger hate. Somewhere in the middle maybe?

I'm at no hate:D

BloodoftheKings
09-05-2011, 10:12 AM

I thought the hate was about Mike Portnoy, not the current lineup.

ShatteredFlame
09-05-2011, 10:35 AM
nah I like Dream Theater only somewhat but in the past year it has been really hard not to notice a topic involving them and a past member. At first when the feuds began I just ignored it and didn't care, now every week some stupid shit pops up.

Dream Theater for my most hated band 2011.

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Also, it's much easier musically for The Black Crowes to switch up every night since their music is blues based rock and not nearly as complicated as what DT plays. So their isn't much of a comparison to be made there.

Oh jeez... :wallbang:

Maidenmagic
09-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Absolutely no hate from me. Just disappointed with the set list thing. But I'll probably won't have another chance to see them again so I guess it doesn't matter.

300%_Density
09-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Guess I'll clarify. Its pretty much all been Portnoy but even someone who loves them like me even found their X Factor, dragging out our auditions for our new drummer even made me cringe. Its been Portnoy primarily but the setlist thing and their drummer thing was on the current band. Not any former member.

MPF
09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I don't consider this a problem. Hell even their recent tour they had one switch up, Metropolis.

As long as the show and songs are good, I see no problem having a static setlist

gilpdawg
09-05-2011, 11:48 AM
They've only been doing the "rotating" thing since 2002 anyway. On SFAM and before the setlists never changed.

MPF
09-05-2011, 12:05 PM
They've only been doing the "rotating" thing since 2002 anyway. On SFAM and before the setlists never changed.

That's not entirely true.

On SFAM they would switch up what happened after they played SFAM, it would either be A Change Of Seasons or a big Medley, or a Mind Beside Itself or something different.

They always changed at least a couple songs up. I can't see that part ever truly changing. at least 1-2 songs will be changed up.

jaysadler2
09-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Ths has really pissed me off...Dream theater are one of the very few bands with a large back catalogue that vary there setlists. I can appreciate its easier for the band and crew but this can really piss the fans off.

I wonder if its anything to do with the new drummer not learning all the songs?

On the plus side you know what to expect, i remember going to see them early on and not knowing a couple of songs (although they were good to watch, i remember counting down the minutes lol)

MPF
09-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Ths has really pissed me off...Dream theater are one of the very few bands with a large back catalogue that vary there setlists. I can appreciate its easier for the band and crew but this can really piss the fans off.

I wonder if its anything to do with the new drummer not learning all the songs?

On the plus side you know what to expect, i remember going to see them early on and not knowing a couple of songs (although they were good to watch, i remember counting down the minutes lol)

Try learning 6 HOURS of Dream Theater Prog Metal for one tour on any instrument.

That's why they are going back to a static catalog. How much hate does Rush get for doing static setlists? They are playing very hard music for 3 hours. It's very understandable.

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Try learning 6 HOURS of Dream Theater Prog Metal for one tour on any instrument.

That's why they are going back to a static catalog. How much hate does Rush get for doing static setlists? They are playing very hard music for 3 hours. It's very understandable.

I can totally understand Mangini not being up to speed yet. But he is an amazing drummer. I am certain he's capable of learning a set and half of material so they can swap a few songs around each night. Especially since they stopped playing three hour shows anyway.

Unless they're going back to three-hour shows. In which case, he can probably be let off for another tour. It's not the easiest stuff to learn at all. I would still expect them to eventually get up to the point where they can do it again though.

The way Jordan puts it, the excuses suck. If he'd just said "for the next tour or two we won't be changing the setlists because Mike is still new" then fine. But he didn't. He gave bullshit excuses and basically said "none of us want to bother rehearsing that much stuff".

Dissimulate
09-05-2011, 01:36 PM
If they go back to doing An Evening With then I'll be happy. In theory I like rotating the setlists, but there's little chance of me ever seeing them more then once per tour cycle, so this doesn't really bother me other then the band coming across as lazy. They really need to start playing 3 hour sets again, either that or put pressure on the label to get openers who don't suck.

velvetgrass
09-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Well this sucks. I guess I won't have much of a fall tour to follow on setlist.fm lol. But hopefully they'll play more than one song off Octavarium, my favorite Dream Theater album out of the six of their albums I have heard and enjoyed thus far.

Sanitarium78
09-05-2011, 01:52 PM
As long as the show and songs are good, I see no problem having a static setlist

Exactly.

If they were already playing the next leg of the tour now and the set sucked than I can see why some would be upset. But the fact remains there's no reason to be pissed at them until we see what they're playing for this tour. If the set is garbage then complain away, but if it turns out to kick ass those who bitched in the first place are gonna look silly.

El Gordo
09-05-2011, 01:58 PM

It's not understandable at all actually. I'm not asking YOU to play it, I'm asking the guys who wrote and play it for a living to play it. I understand easing Mangini into it with a static set but honestly, I don't understand why a band would want to play the same songs night in, night out. It's gotta get fucking boring. If you've got twenty years worth of albums to work with, why wouldn't you want to mix it up?

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 02:04 PM
If you've got twenty years worth of albums to work with, why wouldn't you want to mix it up?

Laziness or apathy?

AnthG
09-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm not a Dream Theater fan by any means, but I don't know why everyone's being such a fucking sourpuss over this. With their music the way it is, i'm sure switching the set up majorly every single night has to be quite a chore. I mean, 99% of other bands use the same setlist for every show during a single touring leg, which is i'm pretty sure what Rudess is talking about - one touring leg, not the entire cycle. If they started using that same setlist from tour to tour, then that'd be rather lame, but if that's not the case (I don't think it would be), I don't know why everyone is getting their panties in a twist.

And to the comment about fans wanting to be surprised about what's going to be played, there's a really simple solution for that: Don't look up setlists on the internet before your show. If you want to check it out because of your own curiosity, that's fine (I almost always do), but don't complain about not being surprised afterwards.

jaysadler2
09-05-2011, 03:00 PM
They should probably do a metallica system:

- 6 predictable/popular songs that get played in each set
- Choose 7 out of 12 songs that get rotated to give an element of surprise
- 2 out 5 covers to play lol

In that way, DT are catering for the people that want to hear the 'hits', They play a few rotated surprises, the drummer doesnt have to learn every song, some DT fans will remain happy. BTW i know the set will have to be 3 hours due to the length of the songs!

Or to solve it all, bring back Mike!

I can see the band doing this tour and then going on haitius, they will hate doing the same songs over and over....i see it as a waste of talent - or they could be getting on a bit and wanting to chill out a bit more now.

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 03:06 PM
I don't think playing "hits" are the issue. They're not suggesting they're just going to play hits sets. In fact, I suspect they won't. They're just saying they'll be sticking to the same set for a tour.

Also, having seen Mangini play, I honestly have no desire to see Portnoy back. Mangini was awesome.

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 03:10 PM
With their music the way it is, i'm sure switching the set up majorly every single night has to be quite a chore.

Probably, but when you're a band who have made their name based on being outstanding musicians, that's not much of an excuse.

I mean, 99% of other bands use the same setlist for every show during a single touring leg.

And they're all wrong for doing it too. Majority doesn't equal correct.

And to the comment about fans wanting to be surprised about what's going to be played, there's a really simple solution for that: Don't look up setlists on the internet before your show.

It's not just a case of not looking up the setlist. A lot of bands' setlist can predicted WITHOUT looking up the setlist of a specific tour, and that not happening is something DT fans have long valued. As I said above, I don't think they'll slip into the playing-the-same-hits-every-year trap, but nevertheless, the changing setlists was a dimension of a DT show that set them apart from other bands. They're just stripping away another piece of what has made Dream Theater Dream Theater.

MPF
09-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Again I just don't see the problem. It's not like they are going to be doing the same songs every tour. Maybe 2-3 at most, but that's it. DT is still DT, they are just Mangini-fied. now.

They should probably do a metallica system:

- 6 predictable/popular songs that get played in each set
- Choose 7 out of 12 songs that get rotated to give an element of surprise
- 2 out 5 covers to play lol

In that way, DT are catering for the people that want to hear the 'hits', They play a few rotated surprises, the drummer doesnt have to learn every song, some DT fans will remain happy. BTW i know the set will have to be 3 hours due to the length of the songs!

Or to solve it all, bring back Mike!

I can see the band doing this tour and then going on haitius, they will hate doing the same songs over and over....i see it as a waste of talent - or they could be getting on a bit and wanting to chill out a bit more now.

Also, clearly, you are fucking insane.

AnthG
09-17-2011, 09:54 AM
It's not just a case of not looking up the setlist. A lot of bands' setlist can predicted WITHOUT looking up the setlist of a specific tour, and that not happening is something DT fans have long valued. As I said above, I don't think they'll slip into the playing-the-same-hits-every-year trap, but nevertheless, the changing setlists was a dimension of a DT show that set them apart from other bands. They're just stripping away another piece of what has made Dream Theater Dream Theater.

Those bands' setlists can be predicted because they do play a lot of the same songs from tour to tour and cycle to cycle and don't really change anything up other than adding 2 or 3 new songs in. If Dream Theater resorts to doing that, then fine, point taken. But if they do what I and what even you think they'll do, which is keep the same setlist for one tour, and then maybe to an overhaul of it for the next tour, it'll become much more difficult to predict.