PDA

View Full Version : Just started watching NFL, question

adamclark52
09-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I've only been watching NFL football for about a year, I get most of the rules but what they hell are the commentators talking about when they talk about the defense or offense "BLITZING"?

hellawaits77ny
09-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Only the defense blitzes. A blitz is when a linebacker or defensive back rushes the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball, much like a defensive lineman does.

TonyD
09-03-2011, 09:18 PM
To be a little more clear, defensive linemen are basically always blitzing, or trying to get to the QB/RB. When linebackers or backs do it, they stop their main focus of trying to cover receivers and just get to the QB/RB.

powerslave_85
09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
What Tony said. The downside of blitzing is that it usually exposes the receivers to single, man-on-man coverage. If the offense has good, fast receivers and a QB with a quick release, they can take advantage of that. But if the offensive line is a little weak, the blitz can force a sack or cause the QB to make a mistake.

adamclark52
09-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys, makes sense now.

hellawaits77ny
09-03-2011, 10:33 PM
What Tony said. The downside of blitzing is that it usually exposes the receivers to single, man-on-man coverage. If the offense has good, fast receivers and a QB with a quick release, they can take advantage of that. But if the offensive line is a little weak, the blitz can force a sack or cause the QB to make a mistake.

Sounds like a defensive coordinator! I play semi-pro ball as an O-lineman. I personally love teams that blitz up the middle, as we typically exploit them over the middle with quick passes and play action. Due to our personell, teams that blitz an extra OLB outside give us more problems.

idrinkwine732
09-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Blitzing is also variant on scheme.

Sounds like a defensive coordinator! I play semi-pro ball as an O-lineman. I personally love teams that blitz up the middle, as we typically exploit them over the middle with quick passes and play action. Due to our personell, teams that blitz an extra OLB outside give us more problems.

Yeah, there's a huge reason why you don't just send 6 every play. That's the reason why Walsh's classic WCO was probably the most important tactical invention in football history. Then, came the cover 2 which again became easily exploited. But seriously, you must love those gut blitzes when you know you're going into pass protection. Bread and butter right there, bread and butter.

powerslave_85
09-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm confused, though. Do they not blitz in Canadian football, or do they just call it something different? I've watched, like, half of a CFL game in my life, haha.

hellawaits77ny
09-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Blitzing is also variant on scheme.

Yeah, there's a huge reason why you don't just send 6 every play. That's the reason why Walsh's classic WCO was probably the most important tactical invention in football history. Then, came the cover 2 which again became easily exploited. But seriously, you must love those gut blitzes when you know you're going into pass protection. Bread and butter right there, bread and butter.

Yup. It gets tougher when you have an OLB running a 4.5 40 blitzing the edge, LOL. That's when the draws come in handy.

El Gordo
09-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm confused, though. Do they not blitz in Canadian football, or do they just call it something different? I've watched, like, half of a CFL game in my life, haha.

Psst... Even Canadians don't like Canadian Football...

As far as I know, it's called the same thing in the CFL, but I've watched like a game and a half of CFL. My grandfather was a huge football fan but it was NFL 9 times out of 10.

adamclark52
09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
They blitz in CFL. And call it Blitz. Outside of Toronto Canada loves CFL, Toronto is still the largest market but has so much else going on. But it's huge in Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.

ChildrenofSodom
09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Blitz is a video game, popular on the N64 system.

notcommon64
03-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Yup. It gets tougher when you have an OLB running a 4.5 40 blitzing the edge, LOL. That's when the draws come in handy.
you could pull a guard to seal the olb,but that's alot tougher than it sounds or just have the tight end or tackle cut him but that only slows him down a little bit

adamclark52
10-13-2013, 07:14 PM
So, some more questions about NFL:
- what does "pick-six" mean when they say a quarterback threw three interceptions but one was a pick-six, like it wasn't entirely his fault?
- what does "read option play" mean?

mankvill
10-13-2013, 07:34 PM
- what does "pick-six" mean when they say a quarterback threw three interceptions but one was a pick-six, like it wasn't entirely his fault?

"Pick" = an interception. As in "Tom Brady was just picked off by Eric Berry" means Eric Berry caught an interception from Tom Brady. So a "pick-six" means someone intercepted the ball, then ran it back for a touchdown, or "6" points.

An option is a play where the QB scrambles with the ball with the running back running alongside him that the QB can shovel the ball off to. It's called an "option" because the QB has the option of running it, passing it, or lateraling it off to the running back. It's mostly used in college because, honestly, it rarely works against an NFL defense. Example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXd4EKj3unI)

A read option is the QB going to handoff and he can either do that or run it himself, according to what he sees from the defense. if the defense commits to the run inside, the QB can option out and run to the outside with it.

DisposableJustice
10-14-2013, 01:42 PM

To add on to Manks answer

- The Houston Texans have made history by having throwing a pick six in each of their first six games, five of them thrown by starting QB Matt Schaub, and because of this he has gotten the ill will of the fans, starting with a jersey burning, a local eatery mocking him with a pick six burger and leading up to yesterday when some fans cheered when he injured his leg and had to come out of the game; needless to say a pick six is about the worst thing a Quaterback can do

- The option is some what new in the NFL it is a common practice in college, but now with NFL QB's like RGIII who have great speed, the option play will continue to grow, and we might to see less of the traditional drop back passer that has been a NFL mainstay ever since its birth