PDA

View Full Version : For Iced Earth fans

ravenheart
09-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Interview with Jon Schaffer and Stu Block, part 1:
http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/under-no-illusion-an-interview-with-iced-earth-part-1/

Part 2:
http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/under-no-illusion-an-interview-with-iced-earth-part-2/

MPF
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
You rang?

Thank you!

Epidemic Reign
09-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Very cool, man.

When I first heard about Stu joining, I had mixed feelings despite being a fan of Into Eternity as well. He's a hell of a singer, but I just can't picture him singing old Iced Earth songs. This interview is lifting my hopes though... sounds like Jon is pleased with the results.

ravenheart
09-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Very cool, man.

When I first heard about Stu joining, I had mixed feelings despite being a fan of Into Eternity as well. He's a hell of a singer, but I just can't picture him singing old Iced Earth songs. This interview is lifting my hopes though... sounds like Jon is pleased with the results.

Trust me, Stu sounds great. The new album is really damn good.

MPF
09-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Trust me, Stu sounds great. The new album is really damn good.

Who would you compare Stu closer to in vocals?

Ripper or Barlow?

ravenheart
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Who would you compare Stu closer to in vocals?

Ripper or Barlow?

Erm, that's difficult. He can do both. He's perhaps not as low as Barlow in the mid-range, he's a little bit thinner, but he can wail as high as Ripper (although not with quite the same clarity). He harmonises with Jon on the choruses better than Ripper did, and he's got better harsh screams than both of them.

He sounds like an Iced Earth singer. When you hear the new songs, you'll be able to hear that'll he'll do justice to both the other guys' material. If I had to sum him up, I'd say he's got a more complete overall package than both of them, but he's not quite as good at specifics as they are. Ripper's wails are better than anyone else, and Barlow's mid-voice growl is a little heavier.

Stu doesn't end every fucking syllable with "argh" like Barlow does though ;)

Jon talks more about the album itself in the second half of the interview. It'll be up shortly.

MPF
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Erm, that's difficult. He can do both. He's perhaps not as low as Barlow in the mid-range, he's a little bit thinner, but he can wail as high as Ripper (although not with quite the same clarity). He harmonises with Jon on the choruses better than Ripper did, and he's got better harsh screams than both of them.

He sounds like an Iced Earth singer. When you hear the new songs, you'll be able to hear that'll he'll do justice to both the other guys' material. If I had to sum him up, I'd say he's got a more complete overall package than both of them, but he's not quite as good at specifics as they are. Ripper's wails are better than anyone else, and Barlow's mid-voice growl is a little heavier.

Stu doesn't end every fucking syllable with "argh" like Barlow does though ;)

Jon talks more about the album itself in the second half of the interview. It'll be up shortly.

That is some good clarification. He does sound like he deserves to be in Iced Earth.

Looking forward to part 2, and the new album.

ravenheart
09-04-2011, 12:56 PM
He does sound like he deserves to be in Iced Earth.

I think it's a surprise to everyone, including himself, that he does. It sounds like the audition and then recording of the album were a real path of discovery for him. The way he's singing on this is totally new territory for him personally, and therefore people who know his voice from Into Eternity (who I don't like).

MPF
09-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I think it's a surprise to everyone, including himself, that he does. It sounds like the audition and then recording of the album were a real path of discovery for him. The way he's singing on this is totally new territory for him personally, and therefore people who know his voice from Into Eternity (who I don't like).

In speaking of Into Eternity. Are they done, or are they becoming Stu's side project?

ravenheart
09-04-2011, 01:14 PM
In speaking of Into Eternity. Are they done, or are they becoming Stu's side project?

I don't they're done, but he is.

MPF
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't they're done, but he is.

So he's just waiting to make it official then?

I do like Into eternity, they did a great job opening for Dream Theater back in 2007. But I am much happier that he is with Iced Earth. We went with the better IE.

Indestructible
09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
I love both Into Eternity and Iced Earth. I didn't know Stu was leaving Into Eternity. The new Into Eternity song isn't that good, I know Stu can do better than that, I guess he was saving it all for Iced Earth.
I am excited for the new Iced Earth album, even more now after reading what Ravenheart has said about it.

ravenheart
09-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Part two now online: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2011/under-no-illusion-an-interview-with-iced-earth-part-2/

MPF
09-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Great, GREAT interview. Very in depth. I like it. Hope to see this lineup in 2012!