PDA

View Full Version : Blackguard -- Frederick, MD -- August 24th, 2011

tenchimyo
08-25-2011, 01:01 PM
BLACKGUARD played at KRUG'S PLACE in FREDERICK, MD last night. Their one guitar player apparently has some illness going on so he had to sit out this leg of the tour (replaced by one of the dudes from DESTROPHY).

Openers that we also saw part of were SIXTEEN CYLINDER (didn't catch any of the song names, girl growler and singer. They were OK.), FALLEN MARTYR (they were kind of all over the place musically, did not like them. At least one song was from their myspace.). I think they both were locals. Blackguard had a pretty big merch booth. Got a CD that I didn't have of theirs, chatted with the other guitar player for a bit, he seemed pretty cool.

Crowd was about 50 people at most at the busiest part (I think a bunch of locals were there as it was something to do because only about 15-20 people were left when Blackguard came on after midnight). Still, even some people didn't seem into it. I didn't understand. Whatever the case that is probably the closest show I've been to since LA GUNS / BULLETBOYS up in Gaithersburg

They played a rather short set list for headling :( But they sounded great for the most part. The singer (Paul) was very intense as always. After the show he seemed in a pretty good mood (the others time he seemed a bit... like I did not want to bother him).

It was the first time I've been to KRUG'S PLACE so I was not sure what to expect. It was a small place with surprisingly good sound. Pretty clear, loud enough to be enjoyable but not so loud that my ears were ringing. I didn't use earplugs when I was expecting to. As small as the place was, some pits broke out while the locals were there and a couple rather small ones broke out during BLACKGUARD, albeit maybe a little hesitantly.
Broke my neck during Wastelands. I imagine they will have about the same set on Saturday @ JAXX when they play with KAMELOT

Setlist

Tephra
Firefight
Sarissas
Wastelands
Fear of All Flesh
Allegiance
The Sword

MPF
08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
7 song headlining set? I'd only accept that from Godspeed or Sleep.

Blackguard does put on a good live show, I can't deny that.

jd091
08-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Blackguard headlines shows? What? :lol:

bt11763
08-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Yeah and their openers are usually blackguard and belphegor

jd091
08-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah and their openers are usually blackguard and belphegor

And powerglove on occasion. :lol:

300%_Density
08-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Why do I get the feeling if Sabbath does get together Blackguard probably ends up getting on there somehow since they are able to whore themselves on every other cool tour.

jd091
08-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Why do I get the feeling if Sabbath does get together Blackguard probably ends up getting on there somehow since they are able to whore themselves on every other cool tour.

Sabbath = way too mainstream for the mighty BG.

Epidemic Reign
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I hope Blackguard does a lot more headlining tours in the future, so I don't have to see them opening on the tours that I go to.

Nater
08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
I saw them headline at this shitty ass bar a few months back. Pretty much the same story as you. 60 - 70 people there for the locals then everyone bailed leaving maybe 15 of us to watch Blackguard. They didn't even have a stage so we started a mosh pit in front of the guitarists standing spot.

MPF
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
^Sounds like the 2 Blackguard headlining shows they are doing in Minnesota and Wisconsin soon.

Both shows are a little over an hour from me. I would go if I didn't have so many other shows I'm seeing.

jd091
08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I actually really liked these guys when they opened for Symphony X. The crowd kind of hated them, but that's the nature of touring to promote your band. They just need to be a little more... unique? I don't know, they don't stick out from the crowd enough for me to really love 'em.

Nater
08-25-2011, 07:16 PM
I would recommended seeing them headline they are fantastic. I hungout with the singer after the show and he said they get on any tour they can just to get their name out there. Real nice down to earth guys and gal.

Rocco44
08-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Seem like good people and they work hard but I find their music painfully mediocre and boring.

tenchimyo
08-26-2011, 08:39 AM

well basically it seemed like an extra set (perhaps almost exactly what they are playing on the Kamelot tour coming up, not sure!)

tenchimyo
08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
They just need to be a little more... unique? I don't know, they don't stick out from the crowd enough for me to really love 'em.

I get a little bit of that feeling, because I was like... this sounds like Children of Bodom (who I enjoy)... so yeah, some differentiating factor would be better, but we'll see!

tenchimyo
08-26-2011, 08:43 AM
I saw them headline at this shitty ass bar a few months back. Pretty much the same story as you. 60 - 70 people there for the locals then everyone bailed leaving maybe 15 of us to watch Blackguard. They didn't even have a stage so we started a mosh pit in front of the guitarists standing spot.

LOL that is exactly what happened here, even the mosh pit (is a pit of like 3 people still a pit?)

I have to say they still put the same energy out when we saw them playing for us 20 as the Symphony X show (way more than 20)

tenchimyo
08-26-2011, 08:46 AM
^Sounds like the 2 Blackguard headlining shows they are doing in Minnesota and Wisconsin soon.

If you DO end up going I'd love to hear if they play a longer set :/

too many shows? is there such a thing :3

MPF
08-26-2011, 12:26 PM
If you DO end up going I'd love to hear if they play a longer set :/

too many shows? is there such a thing :3

When you can't afford to see them all, yes.

Nater
08-26-2011, 11:05 PM
LOL that is exactly what happened here, even the mosh pit (is a pit of like 3 people still a pit?)

I have to say they still put the same energy out when we saw them playing for us 20 as the Symphony X show (way more than 20)

I was asking myself the same thing about the mosh pit and weather or not to include the band in it because a couple of the guys kept bumping into the singer and guitarist. haha.

GarageMetal468
08-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I actually really liked these guys when they opened for Symphony X. The crowd kind of hated them, but that's the nature of touring to promote your band. They just need to be a little more... unique? I don't know, they don't stick out from the crowd enough for me to really love 'em.

The crowd (myself and my friend included) didn't like them because they're on the wrong tours. They always get put on tours that have nothing to do with their style of music. Months before that they were opening for Deicide, fucking really?

I will admit that they have a ton of energy on stage and are having a fun time on there, which is what counts in the end

Epidemic Reign
08-27-2011, 01:26 AM

They need a vocalist that doesn't absolutely suck, for one thing.