PDA

View Full Version : Metallica & Lou Reed - "Lulu"

Pages : 1 [2]

Epidemic Reign
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
U HATIN ON THE FLYNN BRO?

Nah, I'm just not one to pass up an opportunity like that ;)

El Gordo
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Well I was thinking more of a "swinging" kinda groove, if you know what I mean.

I do kind of. But here's my definition of a groove riff: Take a random thrash riff, slow it down to about half speed and cut it in half. That's how you make a groove riff.

makethemsuffer12
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I do kind of. But here's my definition of a groove riff: Take a random thrash riff, slow it down to about half speed and cut it in half. That's how you make a groove riff.

I gotcha, I was just thinking more of the literal term.

And Machine Head haters can suck it. Unto the Locust > your favorite album this year (unless of course it is also UTL, derp).

BloodoftheKings
10-03-2011, 04:34 PM
And Machine Head haters can suck it. Unto the Locust > your favorite album this year (unless of course it is also UTL, derp).

:hmm: UTL is good, but i've heard many albums this year that are far better. How can you say it's better then Deconstruction or The Hunter?

makethemsuffer12
10-03-2011, 04:41 PM
:hmm: UTL is good, but i've heard many albums this year that are far better. How can you say it's better then Deconstruction or The Hunter?

Haven't listened to The Hunter yet. Deconstruction is amazing, but if UTL is not the best album, "I Am Hell" is the best fucking metal song of the year. Blew me away at first listen.

ravenheart
10-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Well I was thinking more of a "swinging" kinda groove, if you know what I mean.

That's one kind of groove, sure. But take good southern rock. Or blues. Grooves from start to finish but it ain't swing.

GarageMetal468
10-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Was Lou Reed drunk when he wrote these lyrics? Seriously, what the hell is he talking about?

BloodoftheKings
10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Was Lou Reed drunk when he wrote these lyrics? Seriously, what the hell is he talking about?

It's a concept album, nothing will make sense til we know the whole story.

GarageMetal468
10-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Iced honey and being a table... is this going to be about his nightly dinner routine?

metallicbrian666
10-03-2011, 07:31 PM
And Machine Head haters can suck it. Unto the Locust > your favorite album this year (unless of course it is pretty much anything besides Illud Divinum Insanus and Lulu).
I agree

makethemsuffer12
10-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I agree

:finger:

AnthG
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Devildriver, anyone?

jd091
10-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Unto the Locust > your favorite album this year (unless of course it is also UTL, derp).

ritual

your argument is invalid

larvtard
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I still don't know who Lou Reed is... :eyes:

jd091
10-03-2011, 09:31 PM

You're kidding, right?

TonyD
10-03-2011, 10:39 PM

I'm not gonna waste 77 minutes of my life to hear it.

MPF
10-03-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm not gonna waste 77 minutes of my life to hear it.

Its 88 minutes. :eyes:

MetalIsArt
10-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Nah, Metallica's next album will come out next year. ;) So, skippety-skip. I fear.

Wizzbang11
10-04-2011, 08:43 AM

Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan, Brian Jacques and Lou Reed all in one day, you're droppin' that ball Logan!

Epidemic Reign
10-05-2011, 03:11 PM
"FRUSTRATION"

Frustration
In my lexicon of hate
I see you with your portraiture
Does he love you?
Does he love you too?

The brush strokes
Kiss your breasts and toes
I cry icicles in my stein
The heartbeats flutter
With an abnormal rhythm

The pain shoots through my body
A sword between my thighs
I wish that I could kill you
But I too love your eyes

You’re feeling less whore but you stimulate
The hatred smolders in your eyes
I’d drop to my knees in a second
To salivate in your thighs

But all I do is fall over
I don’t have the strength I once had
In you and your prickless lover
And his easel in his eyes

I feel the pain creep up my leg
Blood runs from my nose
I puke my guts out at your feet
You’re more man than I
To be dead to have no feeling
To be dry and spermless like a girl

I want so much to hurt you
Marry me
I want you as my wife

Spermless like a girl
More man than I
More man than I

Frustration
In my lexicon of hate
You’re feeling less like a whore but you
Stimulate

All I do is fall over
All I do is fall over

I want you so much to hurt you
I want you as a wife

Frustration is my lexicon of hate
Frustration is my lexicon of hate
Fru… fru… frustration, my lexicon of hate

I cry icicles
Heartbeats flutter
Abnormal rhythm

But I too love your eyes
I want you as my wife
I want you as my wife
Spermless like a girl

Lucky in feeling
More man than I
Marry me, marry me, marry me
I want you as a wife
Spermless like a girl
Puking my guts at your feet
More man than I
Fru… fru… fru… frustration
Frustration

IrritatedTrout
10-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Spermless like a girl

GarageMetal468
10-05-2011, 03:22 PM

I just got the attention of everybody in the library because I laughed out loud so hard at this.

Epidemic Reign
10-05-2011, 03:24 PM

I just got the attention of everybody in the library because I laughed out loud so hard at this.

I think this album is going to be worth listening to a couple times for laughs alone, regardless whether it's any good or not :lol:

GarageMetal468
10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I think this album is going to be worth listening to a couple times for laughs alone, regardless whether it's any good or not :lol:

A couple times? It'll be like listening to Illud Divinum Insanus all over again! I'll look up the songs on youtube since this album is not worth being on my hard drive, or anyone's, for that matter.

Epidemic Reign
10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
A couple times? It'll be like listening to Illud Divinum Insanus all over again! I'll look up the songs on youtube since this album is not worth being on my hard drive, or anyone's, for that matter.

I actually paid for Illud Divinum Insanus via iTunes, and I still deleted the album from my hard drive the same day.

MPF
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Fuck. St. Anger is sounding more and more like Master Of Puppets now.

jd091
10-05-2011, 10:19 PM
A couple times? It'll be like listening to Illud Divinum Insanus all over again!

This is a good thing. I'm really hoping Morbid Angel stays that way, I never fail to smile after listening to "TOO EXTREME!" :lol:

BloodoftheKings
10-06-2011, 05:40 PM
This won't all makes sense because it's translated but this review from german Metal Hammer sheds some light on what we can expect.

"Metallica & Lou Reed cover LULU LULU has formed an alliance for Lou Reed with the greatest metal band of the planet in order to compose an avant-garde theatrical soundtrack. His goal was to "fill the intellectual content that were once located in novels and movies" with rock music. He has certainly achieved with this album, and it makes the listener more than LULU difficult.

The bottom line is typical Reed. It can be inspired by Frank Wedekind, a German writer and playwright, the beginning of the 20th Century with his plays Earth Spirit and Pandora's box for plenty of attention and social agitation caused. The main character is Lulu, a young woman whose sexual desires without restraint Wedekind describes with relish and at the end of Jack the Ripper victim falls. The lively combination of bloodshed and dreary sex provides the basis for the present ten songs that Reed once wrote for a theater production in the U.S. and are now spiced up by the elemental force, partially improvised performance by Metallica.

While listening to is a feeling following: An angry man is talking too loudly on rough grooves ending do not want, because nobody had the balls to tell the musicians when to stop. Who gets involved to the concept, for which some texts are sound rather banal: "Spermless like a girl" Lou cries constantly in ongoing frustration, and in 'Cheat On Me', he throws with amateurish acting rhymes like "I have a passionate heart , It can tear us apart "around. There is a limit to the nonsense is quickly cleverness. Nevertheless, it is worthwhile to delve into the matter, because then LULU suddenly makes a strange kind of sense.

The unbridled Jams Metallica dwells a good deal of freedom, feedback and screeching sounds, including orgies. They change from Sabbath Drönen ('The View', 'Dragon') to intense, muddy Thrash Metal ('Mistress Dead') and land in the twenty-minute finale 'Junior Dad's finally at atmospheric lounge music. Strangely, it seems as if this final, very emotional song would come from a completely different album. At the end of ten minutes standing of beautiful, but atonal string operations, which - if allowed to reports from the studio to be believed - Metallica moved the musicians to tears. LULU would not have to be really tight for 90 minutes. The majority of the second half would have a clear conscience can be omitted without anyone missing something. But who would have dared, the Lou, Lars, James and the two producers to be clicking together in the studio ...

The final verdict? Here are some very rich men have made in the studio to create something intellectually Demanding that could attract the interest of art magazines. The album will sell only moderate, the target group are more likely to Reed-trailer. This chaos will enjoy and appreciate the intensity, bring the Metallica in the texts. Metallica fans are however largely ignore LULU - MASTER OF PUPPETS and hang up."

ravenheart
10-07-2011, 02:38 PM
So, the speculation over what the second disc in the various editions of the album is going to be is done then.

Confirmed tracklist:

Disc: 1
1. Brandenburg Gate
2. The View
3. Pumping Blood
4. Mistress Dread
5. Iced Honey
6. Cheat On Me

Disc: 2
1. Frustration
2. Little Dog
3. Dragon
4. Junior Dad

Somehow splitting it into two discs makes it feel to me like it's going to be an even harder album to listen to than it was already likely to be.

Also looks like there's going to be some big book version too:

http://z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B005MW8CPG.01._SX350_SCLZZZZZZZ_V167289309_.jpg

Currently priced at over £70 on Amazon UK.

Dissimulate
10-07-2011, 07:49 PM
His goal was to "fill the intellectual content that were once located in novels and movies" with rock music. He has certainly achieved with this album, and it makes the listener more than LULU difficult.

The final verdict? Here are some very rich men have made in the studio to create something intellectually Demanding that could attract the interest of art magazines. The album will sell only moderate, the target group are more likely to Reed-trailer. This chaos will enjoy and appreciate the intensity, bring the Metallica in the texts. Metallica fans are however largely ignore LULU - MASTER OF PUPPETS and hang up."[/I]
Holy fuck, that was pretentious.

TonyD
10-07-2011, 10:40 PM

Maybe Lou Reed should team up with Morbid Angel and make an album called Illud Illud.

MPF
10-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Maybe Lou Reed should team up with Morbid Angel and make an album called Illud Illud.

I would actively despise that!

daimonos
10-08-2011, 02:52 AM
I think everybody needs to remember that this isn't a Metallica album, it's a Lou Reed album...

El Gordo
10-08-2011, 05:36 AM
I think everybody needs to remember that this isn't a Metallica album, it's a Lou Reed album...

How come?

GarageMetal468
10-08-2011, 06:00 AM

That doesn't really change the fact that this blows, HARD.

mastodon421
10-08-2011, 06:40 AM
That doesn't really change the fact that this blows, HARD.

This. It doesn't matter whose album this is, this is some of the worst music I have ever heard.

BloodoftheKings
10-08-2011, 07:31 AM
This. It doesn't matter whose album this is, this is some of the worst music I have ever heard.

Come on, really? In a world where we have Brokencyde, Design the Skyline, Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides, Five Finger Death Punch, Creed, etc. You can't honestly say this is the worst music.

GarageMetal468
10-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Come on, really? In a world where we have Brokencyde, Design the Skyline, Asking Alexandria, Black Veil Brides, Five Finger Death Punch, Creed, etc. You can't honestly say this is the worst music.

Oh this is definitely up there in it's own category.

IrritatedTrout
10-08-2011, 07:38 AM
I'd agree with him. I honestly can't find one redeeming thing about The View. Lou sounds like shit, the lyrics are awful, the music is bland. I guess Jame's vocals are pretty good but I can't take that seriously when he's screaming that he's a table.

El Gordo
10-08-2011, 07:41 AM

I completely know what you're saying, but it seems like everyone just gets so angry when Metallica puts out a bad record, just because they're Metallica and everyone wants them to be the REAL Metallica again. So even though this isn't a Metallica record proper, it still fucking sucks that the guys who put out Ride the Lightning are recording this tripe.

larvtard
10-08-2011, 08:44 AM

Okay, so apparently Lou Reed is the guitarist/vocalist/main songwriter of The Velvet Underground.

Makes sense, I guess...

ravenheart
10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Okay, so apparently Lou Reed is the guitarist/vocalist/main songwriter of The Velvet Underground.

He's what?

ravenheart
10-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Every time something with a massive amount of fuss turns out bad, someone says it's the worst thing ever. Of course it isn't. There's a shit-ton of stuff worse than this. But people do so love to make bold statements.

GarageMetal468
10-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I completely know what you're saying, but it seems like everyone just gets so angry when Metallica puts out a bad record, just because they're Metallica and everyone wants them to be the REAL Metallica again. So even though this isn't a Metallica record proper, it still fucking sucks that the guys who put out Ride the Lightning are recording this tripe.

This isn't about Metallica not going back to what they were. This is about how much in general this sucks.

mastodon421
10-08-2011, 11:17 AM

I honestly think this it's on it's own level. Those bands you mentioned are all different degrees of bad (Five Finger Death Punch and Creed aren't even close to as bad as the other bands you listed) When you have this many talented artists working on a project, it shouldn't be this bad. "The View" is one of the most unholy awful things I have ever heard. The vocals are awful, the lyrics are laughable, and most importantly, the music is mind-numbingly generic. If the rest of this album is as bad as The View, it will be easily the worst album I heard this year (and I listened to Speaker Of The Dead by Emmure).

JRA
10-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Every time something with a massive amount of fuss turns out bad, someone says it's the worst thing ever. Of course it isn't. There's a shit-ton of stuff worse than this. But people do so love to make bold statements.

The bigger they are the harder they fall.

daimonos
10-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Alright so I just listened to The View for the first part. The Lou Reed parts are stupid, but I actually like that riff behind Hetfield's vocals alot.

El Gordo
10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
This isn't about Metallica not going back to what they were. This is about how much in general this sucks.

No shit.

Epidemic Reign
10-08-2011, 01:44 PM
"PUMPING BLOOD"

If I pump out blood in the sunshine
Oil on the wheel
That is blasted and busted away

A nail or a little piece of glass
A little piece of glass
A little piece of glass
Swarming like bees over the air
Off the pump off the thing
The blood that I’m pumping away

Like bees over the air
Off the pump
Off the thing

Off the pump
Off the thing

If I pump blood in the sunshine
And you wear a leather box with azaleas
And I pump more blood
And it seeps through my skin
Will you adore the river
The stream, the trickle
The tributary of my heart

As I pump more blood

Will you adore the river
The stream, the trickle

If I’m pumping blood
Like a common state worker
If I waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Would you think less of me

And my coagulating heart

Waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Coagulating heart
Pumping blood

Would you top me off
Would you top me off as I deepen a curtsy
While you yell out, “mercy”
We grow apart
Would you rip and cut me

Use a knife on me

Be shocked at the boldness
The coldness of this little heart
Tied up in leather
Would you take the measure
Of the blood that I pump
In the manic confusion of love

Supreme violation
Supreme violation
“Oh, ah, ah, ah Jack I beseech you”

“Oh Jack I beseech you”
Supreme violation

Blood in the foyer
The bathroom
The tea room
The kitchen, with her knives splayed

I will swallow your sharpest cutter
Like a colored man’s dick

Blood spurting from me
“Oh Jack, Jack I beseech…”
“Jack, I beseech you, I beseech…”
In the end it was an ordinary heart

“Oh Jack I beseech you”
As I scream out my pain

In the end, in the end, in the end
It was an ordinary heart

“Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack I beseech you”
Supreme violation . . . Oh

“Jack, Jack, Jack I beseech you”
I call out your name

Blood in the foyer, the bathroom,
The tea room, the kitchen
And knives splayed
I swallow your sharpest cutter
Blood spurting from me
Blood spurting from me

“Oh Jack”

“Oh Jack, I beseech ya”

Pumping blood

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BloodoftheKings
10-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I hope James sings the part about the colored man's dick.

moobys37
10-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Does he waggle his ass like a dark prostitute on a table?

Epidemic Reign
10-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Does he waggle his ass like a dark prostitute on a table?

No doubt. Just waiting to swallow that cutter like a colored man's dick!

DisposableJustice
10-08-2011, 05:15 PM
"PUMPING BLOOD"

If I pump out blood in the sunshine
Oil on the wheel
That is blasted and busted away

A nail or a little piece of glass
A little piece of glass
A little piece of glass
Swarming like bees over the air
Off the pump off the thing

Like bees over the air
Off the pump
Off the thing

Off the pump
Off the thing

If I pump blood in the sunshine
And you wear a leather box with azaleas
And I pump more blood
Will you adore the river
The stream, the trickle

As I pump more blood

Will you adore the river
The stream, the trickle

If I’m pumping blood
Like a common state worker
If I waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Would you think less of me

And my coagulating heart

Waggle my ass like a dark prostitute
Coagulating heart
Pumping blood

Would you top me off
Would you top me off as I deepen a curtsy
While you yell out, “mercy”
We grow apart
Would you rip and cut me

Use a knife on me

Be shocked at the boldness
The coldness of this little heart
Tied up in leather
Would you take the measure
Of the blood that I pump
In the manic confusion of love

Supreme violation
Supreme violation
“Oh, ah, ah, ah Jack I beseech you”

“Oh Jack I beseech you”
Supreme violation

Blood in the foyer
The bathroom
The tea room
The kitchen, with her knives splayed

I will swallow your sharpest cutter

Blood spurting from me
“Oh Jack, Jack I beseech…”
“Jack, I beseech you, I beseech…”

“Oh Jack I beseech you”
As I scream out my pain

In the end, in the end, in the end
It was an ordinary heart

“Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack I beseech you”
Supreme violation . . . Oh

“Jack, Jack, Jack I beseech you”
I call out your name

Blood in the foyer, the bathroom,
The tea room, the kitchen
And knives splayed
I swallow your sharpest cutter
Blood spurting from me
Blood spurting from me

“Oh Jack”

“Oh Jack, I beseech ya”

Pumping blood

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

To be honest if you gave me these lyrics without telling me who wrote them and without listening to any music...

I would guess this was a new Lady Gaga Song:eyes:

Damn:hmm:

mankvill
10-08-2011, 05:23 PM
All this makes me REALLY want to hear this album. :lol:

It's going to be weird as fuck. And that's what's expected coming from the guy who invented noise music.

IrritatedTrout
10-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Album of the year!

Epidemic Reign
10-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Album of the year!

:party: I've got half a fuckin' mind to BUY this shit due to the fact that it may just be hysterical enough to eclipse it's shortcomings.

MetalIsArt
10-09-2011, 02:15 AM
My God, those lyrics are porn.

I guess it's more of a Lou Reed album after all, but still... The View sucks.

BloodoftheKings
10-09-2011, 07:13 AM
I guess it's more of a Lou Reed album after all

You didn't already know this? Reed wrote the whole thing, the music, the lyrics, all of it. All Metallica did is play it.

IrritatedTrout
10-09-2011, 07:26 AM
He didn't write the music too did he? I figured that was Metallica.

makethemsuffer12
10-09-2011, 08:16 AM
He didn't write the music too did he? I figured that was Metallica.

Metallica came up with the riffs, that's about it.

AnthG
10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I think the riffs are a pretty important part of the songwriting process...

MetalIsArt
10-10-2011, 03:00 AM
You didn't already know this? Reed wrote the whole thing, the music, the lyrics, all of it. All Metallica did is play it.

No, actually I didn't. I thought they were going to have more input, but everything just screams Reed (who I think has some great songs, mind you).

He probably doesn't care one bit about it all though.

ravenheart
10-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Not true.

Reed wrote the lyrics and vocal melodies. Sent them to Metallica. Metallica wrote the music. Then they got together and arranged/re-wrote bits to get to the final thing.

BloodoftheKings
10-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Reed wrote the lyrics and vocal melodies. Sent them to Metallica. Metallica wrote the music. Then they got together and arranged/re-wrote bits to get to the final thing.

I thought they were saying Reed wrote this album 20 years ago for a play or something.

ravenheart
10-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I thought they were saying Reed wrote this album 20 years ago for a play or something.

The story comes FROM a book/play.

He could very well have had the idea 20 years ago. Probably did. Maybe some of the lyrics and melodies are that old too. But for this, Metallica wrote their music themselves.

ravenheart
10-11-2011, 07:08 AM
CHEAT ON ME

Why do you cheat on me
Why do I cheat on thee
Why do I cheat on me
Why do I cheat on me

I have a passionate heart
It can tear us apart
I have the loves of many men
But I don’t love any of them

Why do I cheat on me

You have your feelings
I have mine
I spit upon you and change my mind
I have many hearts to break
And many, many, many more to take

Let the light of stars pour out
Like a candle in a spout
Let the wick recede and break
Let the starlight radiate
Why do you cheat on me
Why do I cheat on me
Why do I cheat on thee
Why do I desecrate me
Why do I piss my dreams
That’s because that’s what it is

I have the drive
I got the scope
If I, if I, if I, could I give you a rope

Your love means zero to me
I’m a passionateless wave upon the sea
Passionateless wave upon the sea
Why, why, why
Do you cheat on me
Why, why, why
Do I cheat on thee
Oh why, do I cheat on me
Why do I cheat on myself
Well I got nobody else

I’m only young once
I want to taste it all and have fun
I have no real feelings in my soul
Where most have passion I got a hole
I really got nobody else

I want lovers like the rain
So many of them, so much the same
You say you love me, I know it’s true
But I, I, I don’t love you

Why do I cheat on me
Why do you cheat on me
A passionateless wave

GarageMetal468
10-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Why does he cheat on me :(

BloodoftheKings
10-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Bunch of new previews:

Junior Dad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoWyJsFg8M&feature=feedu_more)

Little Dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfM6gE2lSIo&feature=feedu)

Mistress Dread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sSwGndCG8&feature=feedu)

Pumping Blood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Wd98QBq4k&feature=feedu)

BloodoftheKings
10-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Lou's vocals actually seem to work well on Little Dog. Mistress Dread on the other hand sounds like it's going to be a clusterfuck.

MPF
10-18-2011, 09:07 PM
All of them are up now on their youtube page.

BloodoftheKings
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
All of them are up now on their youtube page.

Just listened to all of them. Brandenburg Gate and Iced Honey sound pretty good. Dragon on the other hand... HAAALLLUUCINAAAAGHGAHGAGHGAHIIAATION

jd091
10-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Dragon on the other hand... HAAALLLUUCINAAAAGHGAHGAGHGAHIIAATION

:lol: What the fuck did I just listen to?!

MPF
10-18-2011, 09:33 PM
:lol: What the fuck did I just listen to?!

You can say that about all 10 clips.

TonyD
10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
This is making Death Magnetic sound like a masterpiece
Also

http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10736817.jpg

jd091
10-18-2011, 10:22 PM
This is making Death Magnetic sound like a masterpiece

> Implying DM was bad

Epidemic Reign
10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
This album is going to be the Toxic Avenger of rock music.

ravenheart
10-19-2011, 04:44 AM
So, from those clips:

Kinda like 'The View', 'Pumping Blood', 'Brandenburg Gate', 'Little Dog', 'Junior Dad', 'Iced Honey'

'Mistress Dread' is ridiculous. Super-fast riffs, slow-as-fuck vocals. Doesn't work at all.

Can't really tell what the fuck 'Frustration', 'Cheat On Me', or 'Dragon' are supposed to be.

BloodoftheKings
10-19-2011, 05:03 AM
This album is going to be the Toxic Avenger of rock music.

:fist:

MetalIsArt
10-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Iced honey does sound cool...

Nater
10-19-2011, 09:28 AM
The album is "out"

I can't bring myself to listen to it though. I just can't.

hb420
10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
The music really isn't bad at times, but for the most part it's the vocals that fuck it up.

Maidenmagic
10-19-2011, 11:39 AM
I used to like "The View". Boy was I stupid.

I wouldn't touch this album with a...... 39 and a half inch pole!

I'll get "Thirteen" instead.

(sic)&disturbed
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Perhaps I should stare at 2 girls 1 cup, tubgirl, babypaste, painseries or beecock while listening for the full effect?

I've seen 2 girls 1 cup but WTF are the others? :confused:

BloodoftheKings
10-19-2011, 12:10 PM
The album is "out"

I can't bring myself to listen to it though. I just can't.

YESSS downloading now.

makethemsuffer12
10-19-2011, 01:23 PM
I didn't expect to hear them get so thrashy on "Mistress Dread", of course ruined by Lou's vocals.

moobys37
10-19-2011, 02:24 PM
FRUSTRATION! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjI3e0PKnt0)

Butcher of Birth
10-19-2011, 09:26 PM
This certainly is a album that needs an acquired taste... It's odd, I kind of like the music, but the vocals from both parties and the lyrics ruin the experience.

moobys37
10-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Streaming in it's entirety. (http://www.loureedmetallica.com/listen-to-lulu.php)

First line is "I would cut my legs and tits off".

AnthG
10-19-2011, 11:11 PM
As soon as I heard Lou Reed's first lyric on the first track, I just thought "Oh god this is gonna be bad"

It's far too late to listen to this trainwreck now. I'll wait until tomorrow...maybe i'll have a bottle of Canadian Club next to me to ease the experience, like I did the first time I watched The Room.

jd091
10-19-2011, 11:16 PM
As soon as I heard Lou Reed's first lyric on the first track, I just thought "Oh god this is gonna be bad"

It's far too late to listen to this trainwreck now. I'll wait until tomorrow...maybe i'll have a bottle of Canadian Club next to me to ease the experience, like I did the first time I watched The Room.

Don't you bash that perfect movie! :nag: :nonono:

AnthG
10-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Can't say i'm bashing it. It's just a lot better when you're a little bit buzzed (but not completely drunk) to appreciate the hilarity of that movie. Maybe this album will be like the Room of albums.

Epidemic Reign
10-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Can't say i'm bashing it. It's just a lot better when you're a little bit buzzed (but not completely drunk) to appreciate the hilarity of that movie. Maybe this album will be like the Room of albums.

Maybe, but I'm not stepping foot into this album until I'm completely drunk.

christopher
10-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Maybe, but I'm not stepping foot into this album until I'm completely drunk.

hmm I'm getting drunk right now and the album isn't all as bad as I thought it would be. There are some awesome riffs on this(Mistress Dread) but I need to listen to more than just the first 5 songs to have an official opinion on it.

Epidemic Reign
10-20-2011, 12:18 AM
hmm I'm getting drunk right now and the album isn't all as bad as I thought it would be. There are some awesome riffs on this(Mistress Dread) but I need to listen to more than just the first 5 songs to have an official opinion on it.

I'm pretty trashed right now, but unfortunately I don't have access to a computer and I can't listen to the album right now. I'm trolling these forums on my smartphone.

christopher
10-20-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty trashed right now, but unfortunately I don't have access to a computer and I can't listen to the album right now. I'm trolling these forums on my smartphone.

For sure. I do that way too often on my R2 unit(aka my R2D2 droid). Cheat on Me is weird...

Epidemic Reign
10-20-2011, 12:27 AM
For sure. I do that way too often on my R2 unit(aka my R2D2 droid). Cheat on Me is weird...
I don't doubt the whole album is weird. I just hope I'm as drunk when I finally hear it as I am now. Although right now I think I'm drunker than I've been in a few years :D I feel like I'm in fucking high school again.

IrritatedTrout
10-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Got to Iced Honey and then stopped. I'll listen to the rest later. Iced Honey was easily the best but still really mediocre. There were a few cool instrumental parts put everything Lou Reed touches turns to pure shit. Easily the worst thing I've heard this year so far.

Maidenmagic
10-20-2011, 05:34 AM
The worst they could do is have the album streaming. Only DIE-HARD Metallica fans are going to buy this. Don't know how Lou Reed fans are going to react.

BloodoftheKings
10-20-2011, 06:38 AM
The worst they could do is have the album streaming. Only DIE-HARD Metallica fans are going to buy this. Don't know how Lou Reed fans are going to react.

This isn't even the weirdest thing Reed has done, some of his recent albums have no song structure what so ever.

AnthG
10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm only on Track 3...my god this is really testing my patience...

Butcher of Birth
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I feel all the Metal Mags are going to give this album a ho-hum rating, 3 stars, but SPIN and Rolling Stone and are going to suck this album's dick like it's the new book of the bible.

mastodon421
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
I think even giving this album an average rating is utterly insane.

DethMaiden
10-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I feel all the Metal Mags are going to give this album a ho-hum rating, 3 stars, but SPIN and Rolling Stone and are going to suck this album's dick like it's the new book of the bible.

Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.

I think the places that matter more in this day and age as tastemakers (Pitchfork, Stereogum, NPR Music, Quietus) are going to pan the shit out of it. Quietus already has and editors at the other three are ripping on it incessantly on Twitter.

jhdeity
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM

I thought the same exact thing. If Rolling Stone doesn't turn this into one of the Top 5 Hipster albums of the year I'd be shocked.

If Elvis Costello and AC/DC made a similar album it would be they're Record of the Century.

BloodoftheKings
10-20-2011, 01:21 PM
If Rolling Stone doesn't turn this into one of the Top 5 Hipster albums of the year I'd be shocked.

:lol: U mad Brad?

DethMaiden
10-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I mean, it's just ignorant because Rolling Stone is not a hipster publication, whatever one of those is. It's mainstream as all get out.

JRA
10-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Rolling Stone is a perfect example of what happened to all the baby boomer hippies once they got a taste of the corporate buck (re: cock).

Maidenmagic
10-20-2011, 01:44 PM
This isn't even the weirdest thing Reed has done, some of his recent albums have no song structure what so ever.

Weirder than this? I like artsy but come on Lou...

DementedX14
10-20-2011, 01:51 PM
I mean, it's just ignorant because Rolling Stone is not a hipster publication, whatever one of those is. It's mainstream as all get out.

It maybe a mainstream publication however it still holds hipster appeal. Anyways, this LULU album sucks and so does Lou Reed.

KillerCannabis
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Best description I've read online: "It sounds like some idiot reading his poetry while Metallica rehearses next door."

TonyD
10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Best description I've read online: "It sounds like some idiot reading his poetry while Metallica rehearses next door."

:lol: yes

JRA
10-20-2011, 01:56 PM
This is your Rolling Stone reader, and the guy who thinks this album will be revolutionary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghV6URgaOuE&feature=channel_video_title

powerslave_85
10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
You just know that dude LOVES Chickenfoot.

I'm on the second track. My brain is full of fuck.

electrocute1031
10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
so far the first track is decent, i like iced honey and the music on mistress dread, the rest not so much.

JRA
10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
You just know that dude LOVES Chickenfoot.

Nah, they're just a little too heavy for him. and if they're too heavy for him, you can imagine how he feels about Priest, Rush, Kiss, Motorhead and Deep Purple. Which is why they'll never get in their stupid Hall of Fame.

eyekantspele
10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
This is like if someone took a shit on a pile of shit.

Jochen
10-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I like the music, but Reed brings it down with his talking.

BloodoftheKings
10-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Weirder than this? I like artsy but come on Lou...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5OtlKjzJo

AnthG
10-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Holy shit, Junior dad is way too fucking long. I'm on minute 16 and it's still fucking going. Holy shit, just fucking end!

Other than that, this album fucking blows. And as much as it pains me, I have to listen to it again, because I was doing other shit on the computer and tuning Lou's lyrics out, so as awful as this album is so far, I haven't been able to "appreciate" Lou's lyrics yet. I think i'm gonna listen to Shadows Fall's Art of Balance for the first time before I re-listen to this drek.

MPF
10-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Holy shit, Junior dad is way too fucking long. I'm on minute 16 and it's still fucking going. Holy shit, just fucking end!

Other than that, this album fucking blows. And as much as it pains me, I have to listen to it again, because I was doing other shit on the computer and tuning Lou's lyrics out, so as awful as this album is so far, I haven't been able to "appreciate" Lou's lyrics yet. I think i'm gonna listen to Shadows Fall's Art of Balance for the first time before I re-listen to this drek.

What are you trying to say exactly? The Art Of Balance is Shadows Fall's best album.

MPF
10-20-2011, 11:06 PM
While searching youtube I found the real trailer for Lulu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRPzElP_eSI&feature=colike

AnthG
10-20-2011, 11:08 PM
What are you trying to say exactly? The Art Of Balance is Shadows Fall's best album.

Ummm, i'm trying to imply that i'll listen to Art of Balance (an album from a band I really like) for the first time then listen to Lulu (a horrible album) a second time...so basically saying that i'll do something enjoyable before something unenjoyable.

Seriously though, i'm on "Stepping outside of the Circle" and this album kicks ass. Other than "thoughts without words" I never heard this album before. Boy what I was missing.

MPF
10-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Ummm, i'm trying to imply that i'll listen to Art of Balance (an album from a band I really like) for the first time then listen to Lulu (a horrible album) a second time...so basically saying that i'll do something enjoyable before something unenjoyable.

Seriously though, i'm on "Stepping outside of the Circle" and this album kicks ass. Other than "thoughts without words" I never heard this album before. Boy what I was missing.

I guess I read that wrong. I read it as you'd take The Art Of Balance over Lulu, implying ATOB was shit as well.

Sorry man, :eyes:

TonyD
10-20-2011, 11:14 PM
While searing youtube I found the real trailer for Lulu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRPzElP_eSI&feature=colike

YES
[/Sepultura69]

AnthG
10-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I guess I did kind of imply that. I just wanted to get a necessary listen out of the way before I subject myself to listening to Lulu again, just to make sure the awful shit I listened to actually existed.

In a way though, listening to a new modern thrash-ish album does help get some (not all) of the bad taste out of the mouth (or ears...)

Now if I did want to do what you thought I was trying to do I'd say I'd rather listen to Rebecca Black's "Friday" on repeat before listening to a track from Lulu. Yep, I fucking said it. I don't care what anyone thinks, at least "Friday" was done as a somewhat-joke/non-serious thing by a 13 year old whose parents happen to be loaded enough to get that song recorded by her, and it still provides me with many, many lols. Loutallica just provides me a giant facepalm.

TheClairvoyant
10-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Does anybody agree that the main riff in 'Mistress Dated' sounds A LOT like Disposable Heroes?

ravenheart
10-22-2011, 04:04 AM
Wait, no one's bashed the production of Lars' drums yet? ;)

jhdeity
10-22-2011, 08:02 AM
This is your Rolling Stone reader, and the guy who thinks this album will be revolutionary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghV6URgaOuE&feature=channel_video_title

Exactly. The fucking obnoxious glasses with the grandma string would make him King Hipster to those sheep.

The same guy who is blown away by the new Matt & Kim cd and prays they get the opening slot on the Moby tour. hahaha

makethemsuffer12
10-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Does anybody agree that the main riff in 'Mistress Dated' sounds A LOT like Disposable Heroes?

First thing I thought was Dyers Eve, but you're right, too. But palm-muted tremolo picking isn't exactly uncommon for thrash haha.

MetalIsArt
10-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Wait, no one's bashed the production of Lars' drums yet? ;)

Teh drums sound ok.

;)

El Gordo
10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I've only been able to get through the first four songs so far. "The View" and "Mistress Dread" are the worst, "Brandenburg Gate" is slightly less bad. "Pumping Blood" starts off like a fucking trainwreck, then gets kind of good, with a riff that actually doesn't sound like a throwaway from St. Anger, then it kind of gets shitty again. I'm really trying not to pay attention to Lou's lyrics, but every once in a while I hear "colored man's dick" and "cut off my tits" and I just have to chuckle a little.

Oh, and anyone saying the main (only?) riff in "Mistress Dread" is a good thrash riff has never heard a good thrash riff.

BloodoftheKings
10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
I've only been able to get through the first four songs so far. "The View" and "Mistress Dread" are the worst, "Brandenburg Gate" is slightly less bad. "Pumping Blood" starts off like a fucking trainwreck, then gets kind of good, with a riff that actually doesn't sound like a throwaway from St. Anger, then it kind of gets shitty again. I'm really trying not to pay attention to Lou's lyrics, but every once in a while I hear "colored man's dick" and "cut off my tits" and I just have to chuckle a little.

Oh, and anyone saying the main (only?) riff in "Mistress Dread" is a good thrash riff has never heard a good thrash riff.

It annoys me when people say they only get through the first 4 songs. The first 4 songs are the worst and the album gets much better from track 5 on.

GarageMetal468
10-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Fucking jesus THANK YOU! There is really no point in trying to defend this album or find anything good about it. I listened to a good portion of it and all it made me do was :wallbang:

metallicbrian666
10-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Album of the year

Steev
10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Only listened to "The View"

It sounds like an outtake from the "Load" sessions where a homeless old man broke in and started rambling into the microphone

Epidemic Reign
10-25-2011, 08:14 PM
It annoys me when people say they only get through the first 4 songs. The first 4 songs are the worst and the album gets much better from track 5 on.

Personally I'm impressed that so many people made it that far ;)

jd091
10-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Album of the year

Backed; but Morbid Angel gives it a run for it's money! Seriously!

El Gordo
10-26-2011, 04:09 AM

Honestly, give me a break. I've listened to parts of the rest, I can't see it getting much better. I plan on it, but I've usually got better things to do (and better music to listen to) than to sit and analyze what I'm sure will turn out to be the worst album I've heard in 2011.

Epidemic Reign
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Review from Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles (http://www.bravewords.com/hardwares/1001932)

Dissimulate
10-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Backed; but Morbid Angel gives it a run for it's money! Seriously!
But there are ~1.7 decent songs on Ins-anus, Lulu is front to back shit.

JRA
10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
LOU REED’s always been a beacon for pretentious dicks, especially the hipsters who valiantly slather the VELVET UNDERGROUND with saviour status without ever actually listening to that toneless band.

:lol:

Epidemic Reign
10-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Finally downloaded Lulu... can't bring myself to import to iTunes :D Have to wait until I'm SUPER trashed :realchug:

Indestructible
10-27-2011, 08:29 AM
I listend to some of this. It doesn't sound like they are trying at all. Mostly Lou Reeds vocals, he sounds like he could careless about doing this album. Put some effort into it.

DementedX14
10-27-2011, 01:38 PM
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/315569_10150373982374907_5954199906_8067674_141338 4177_n.jpg

IrritatedTrout
10-30-2011, 07:17 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/showreview.aspx?reviewID=2345

Great review.

Steev
10-30-2011, 08:10 AM

Great review.

He said the same thing id did, crazy old man rambling over already recorded material

DisposableJustice
10-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Great review.

This

I have only listened to bits and pieces of Lulu but what a mess that review describes my feelings spot on

moobys37
11-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I thought the same exact thing. If Rolling Stone doesn't turn this into one of the Top 5 Hipster albums of the year I'd be shocked.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/lulu-20111101

DethMaiden
11-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Pitchfork gave it a 1.0, so hipster herr derp metal forever grrnnahhh.

mankvill
11-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Pitchfork gave it a 1.0, so hipster herr derp metal forever grrnnahhh.

1 on Pitchfork means I must hear this.

BloodoftheKings
11-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Reed's reading is flat enough to get subsumed in the drone. He's still preferable to the Cookie Monster vomit that passes for vocals on many metal records

:hmm:

Maiden33
11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/lulu-20111101

What's worse than the review itself is some of the comments about how this is a true masterpiece and no one really "understands it".

illuminatus917
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
To quote Jason Motz:

"Lulu is brilliant."

Dissimulate
11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
"Metallica are prog-metal maximists at heart."

Epidemic Reign
11-02-2011, 10:35 PM
:hmm:

:lol:

What an asshole.

El Gordo
11-03-2011, 03:49 AM
"Metallica are prog-metal maximists at heart."

I thought that was a funny line... Reeks of somebody who doesn't have a clue.

powerslave_85
11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
http://youtu.be/RUNnXRjmGoQ

Another shockingly positive review.

EDIT: Rolling Stone only gave it half a star less than the new St. Vincent album. Don't let Brad near any long ropes.

BloodoftheKings
11-03-2011, 08:11 PM
http://youtu.be/RUNnXRjmGoQ

Another shockingly positive review.

EDIT: Rolling Stone only gave it half a star less than the new St. Vincent album. Don't let Brad near any long ropes.

Anthony does have a good point when he says most of the people shit canning the album have only heard The View.

cradle_of_maiden
11-04-2011, 06:52 AM
http://youtu.be/e7Wd98QBq4k

Puppy blood?

This is crap. I can only hope that TH1RT3EN outsells the shit out of this.

TonyD
11-04-2011, 10:38 AM
It already did by about 3 times.
I saw Rob Trujillo backstage at the Mastodon show last night, the guy who brought us was like, "DON'T say anything about the new album."

christopher
11-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm feeling too dead to look for it, so if its not posted, then someone post it, but I just got an email saying Metallica is going to tour with Lou in Europe next week. I'd hate to be the people at those shows :lol:

Maidenmagic
11-06-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm feeling too dead to look for it, so if its not posted, then someone post it, but I just got an email saying Metallica is going to tour with Lou in Europe next week. I'd hate to be the people at those shows :lol:

It's tv promo shows. So yes, if there are studio audiences, may God have mercy on their souls.

El Gordo
11-06-2011, 11:06 AM
They'll have to pay people to go. Seriously, I wouldn't sit through one song without sufficient compensation.

RAZOR
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
In all honesty, I'd probably go. Mostly for the lulz but still.

Steev
11-06-2011, 12:08 PM
The thing is idiots will show up expecting "Enter Sandman" and get this

Huge lols

DethMaiden
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I would pay to see Junior Dad. There, I said it.

AnthG
11-06-2011, 05:52 PM
SMALL TOWN GIRL

Epidemic Reign
11-07-2011, 02:20 AM
This is crap. I can only hope that TH1RT3EN outsells the shit out of this.

First week chart positions

Lulu
Australia #33
Belgium #30
Netherlands #17
Norway #11
UK #36

Th1rt3en
Australia #13
Belgium #83
Netherlands #42
Norway #32
UK #34

Maiden33
11-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Articles said however that Lulu was set to sell around 15,000 in the US in the first week, whereas the Megadeth record was set to sell around 40,000.

IrritatedTrout
11-07-2011, 08:33 AM
I've seen a lot of promotion for Lulu over here in Germany. Saw a few different posters and flyers for it in Frankfurt last Saturday.

JRA
11-07-2011, 08:42 AM
It already did by about 3 times.
I saw Rob Trujillo backstage at the Mastodon show last night, the guy who brought us was like, "DON'T say anything about the new album."

Bullshit, someone should have asked "What was a more degrading career move, recording over Bob Daisley's basslines, or recording Lulu?"

TonyD
11-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Bullshit, someone should have asked "What was a more degrading career move, recording over Bob Daisley's basslines, or recording Lulu?"

:lol: yeah, but talk is cheap on the internet.

BloodoftheKings
11-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Live performance:

Iced Honey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pXFRgxThkY&feature=related)

White Light/White Heat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQAvA64mss&feature=related)

MPF
11-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Live performance:

Iced Honey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pXFRgxThkY&feature=related)

White Light/White Heat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSQAvA64mss&feature=related)

Still terrible, but it's somewhat better in a live setting because Metallica is almost trying to make it interesting.

Lou Reed is Loud Reed.

dcmetal108
11-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I watched Iced Honey and I can't take it anymore.

Even live its beyond bad.

jd091
11-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Anyone who thinks this is legitimately bad has no sense of humor. ;)