PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Black Sabbath album?

IrritatedTrout
08-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Without Ozzy or Dio.;)

My vote goes to Tyr. One of my favorite Sabbath albums even including the Ozzy and Dio stuff.

Sanitarium78
08-19-2011, 06:30 AM
Cross Purposes:rocker:

I'm glad Geezer stuck around and did this album. Him and Iommi always bring out the best in each other and you could here it in the music. You can tell it rubbed off on Martin to because his vocals are great and his lyrics were better than anything else he wrote with Sabbath.

I Witness, Cross Of Thorns, Psychophobia, Virtual Death, Dying For Love, Back To Eden and The Hand That Rocks The Cradle are all great songs.

makethemsuffer12
08-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Headless Cross.

es156
08-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Seventh Star. Always loved that disc. Eternal Idol or Tyr would be next on my list.

BloodoftheKings
08-19-2011, 09:46 AM
What the fuck is this shit? I've never even heard of these albums.

Sanitarium78
08-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Seriously?

BloodoftheKings
08-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Seriously?

Yeah, I thought there was just the Ozzy era, the Dio era, and one album with Ian Gillian. I've never heard any of these albums mentioned by anybody until now.

Sanitarium78
08-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Yeah, I thought there was just the Ozzy era, the Dio era, and one album with Ian Gillian. I've never heard any of these albums mentioned by anybody until now.

You've never heard anyone talk about the Tony Martin era of Sabbath, ever? He is the second longest running vocalist in the bands history behind Ozzy.

Anyways, on the post where I told what my vote was you should check out some of the songs I listed there.

Some other great songs from the Martin era you may wanna check out:

The Shining
The Eternal Idol
Headless Cross
When Death Calls
Anno Mundi
The Sabbath Stones
Kiss Of Death

makethemsuffer12
08-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Ryan, I am disappoint.

JRA
08-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Brilliant bait and switch. Simple, but effective trolling. Well played sir. ;)

Headless Cross has the only two Tony Martin songs I like, so I guess I'll pick that one.

BloodoftheKings
08-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Ryan, I am disappoint.

But seriously, why is it that no one ever speaks of these albums and i've never seen anything about them? Are they like the first 4 Pantera albums where the band pretty much tried to erase them from history?

Sanitarium78
08-19-2011, 11:23 AM
But seriously, why is it that no one ever speaks of these albums and i've never seen anything about them? Are they like the first 4 Pantera albums where the band pretty much tried to erase them from history?

Nope.

Though some may take that stance. It's just Sabbath had so many lineup changes by the time Tony Martin came in nobody really cared that much and the albums were released to little fanfare.

These albums aren't any more obscure than some of the stuff people talk about on here. Anyways, just check out some of the songs I listed on my other posts and see if you like any of it.

makethemsuffer12
08-19-2011, 02:00 PM

Dude they're brought up pretty often around here.

MetalIsArt
08-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Of these?

Headless Cross, especially "When Death Calls". Brian May's solo is hauntingly awesome.

For the record: Tony Martin's era is extremely underrated...

ravenheart
08-20-2011, 07:44 AM
Headless Cross, especially "When Death Calls". Brian May's solo is hauntingly awesome.

For the record: Tony Martin's era is extremely underrated...

Every word of this post is true.

ravenheart
08-20-2011, 07:46 AM

It's not that no one ever speaks of them... it's either that you're blind or deaf, I think ;)

No seriously, there are a bunch of people on this very site whose favourite Sabbath period is with Tony Martin and mention it all the time. Me included.

There are even threads on the recent deluxe edition re-issues of Eternal Idol, Seventh Star and Born Again.

Maideneer
08-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Is it strange that out of the one thousand+ CD's I own, the only ones that are Black Sabbath are:

Dehumanizer
The Dio Years
Heaven And Hell
Live Evil
The Mob Rules
+
The Devil You Know
Live From Radio City

And I could really care less about owning any of the others, not even remotely interested either in hearing them.

ravenheart
08-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Is it strange that out of the one thousand+ CD's I own, the only ones that are Black Sabbath are:

Dehumanizer
The Dio Years
Heaven And Hell
Live Evil
The Mob Rules
+
The Devil You Know
Live From Radio City

This isn't that strange...

And I could really care less about owning any of the others, not even remotely interested either in hearing them.

... but this is pretty stupid.

Maideneer
08-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Don't know what it is, but after hearing all the damn Ozzy hit singles, it just left me with a poor taste.

If someone wants to suggest to me a post-Dio era album to start, I'm open to having my mind changed.

ravenheart
08-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Don't know what it is, but after hearing all the damn Ozzy hit singles, it just left me with a poor taste.

If someone wants to suggest to me a post-Dio era album to start, I'm open to having my mind changed.

Who do you want to hear? Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes or Tony Martin?

Maideneer
08-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Who do you want to hear? Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes or Tony Martin?

Whichever the worst album out of all of those is, I might try. I like starting with the crap and building on it.

Never heard Hughes or Martin sing, and Ian Gillan/Purple I never liked, he sounds like a Vegas lounge singer.

Sanitarium78
08-20-2011, 08:01 AM

There's more to the Ozzy era than the four big hits they had with Paranoid, War Pigs, Iron Man and Sweet Leaf. Just start with the first Sabbath album and work your way through the Ozzy era. The first six albums is one of the greatest album streaks of all time.

ravenheart
08-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Whichever the worst album out of all of those is, I might try. I like starting with the crap and building on it.

Never heard Hughes or Martin sing, and Ian Gillan/Purple I never liked, he sounds like a Vegas lounge singer.

:lol:

You've never heard Glenn Hughes? Are you even a rock/metal fan? ;)

OK... worst... difficult, they're all good.

Probably Born Again, seeing as you don't like Ian Gillan. Or if you want to avoid that, then I suppose Forbidden has the least number of good songs on it.

Maideneer
08-20-2011, 08:06 AM
There's more to the Ozzy era than the four big hits they had with Paranoid, War Pigs, Iron Man and Sweet Leaf. Just start with the first Sabbath album and work your way through the Ozzy era. The first six albums is one of the greatest album streaks of all time.

I've heard more than that.

Black Sabbath
N.I.B.
Planet Caravan
Fairies Wear Boots
Children Of The Grave
Into The Void
Snowblind
Changes
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabbra Cadabra
Hole in the Sky
Symptom of the Universe

All incredibly boring and uninteresting. Did I just commit a metal sin?

Sanitarium78
08-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I've heard more than that.

Black Sabbath
N.I.B.
Planet Caravan
Fairies Wear Boots
Children Of The Grave
Into The Void
Snowblind
Changes
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabbra Cadabra
Hole in the Sky
Symptom of the Universe

All incredibly boring and uninteresting. Did I just commit a metal sin?

Yes, as far as i'm conserned you've commited a metal sin:bouville:

If you wanna try the Tony Martin stuff, check out these songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtHI0yJDbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ithIad4MQso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xStOwBhImuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgzaxsh17JE

MetalIsArt
08-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Thou shall be punished :bouville:

But...

Some people think that Sabbath was nothing more than Ozzy's backup- band. HE did not invent metal, Tony Iommi did. Even on the lesser records, some songs still had those bone crushing killer riffs, he simply is the best guitarist in the world for me. And no, his main guitar is NOT a Gibson SG...

Besides, I discovered the late, great, Ronnie Dio thx to Sabbath.

Maideneer
09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Okay update. I bought Technical Ecstasy as my first Ozzy-era album yesterday and I have to say pretty good so far, 2 more songs to go, but I'm enjoying it! Anyone like/hate that album more than the others?

daimonos
09-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Okay update. I bought Technical Ecstasy as my first Ozzy-era album yesterday and I have to say pretty good so far, 2 more songs to go, but I'm enjoying it! Anyone like/hate that album more than the others?

Yeah, that's actually their worst album with Ozzy...

IrritatedTrout
09-08-2011, 11:48 AM

I'd say it's like the second or third worst BS album ever.

OraclesofAgony
09-08-2011, 02:45 PM

Same. :tongue:

ravenheart
09-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Yep, apart from Dirty Women I don't listen to that album ever. It was the last one I bought, and it's easily the worst.

daimonos
09-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Yep, apart from Dirty Women I don't listen to that album ever. It was the last one I bought, and it's easily the worst.

Its the worst with Ozzy, but I still grew up with it, so I enjoy it. I like "All Moving Parts (Stand Still)" and "You Won't Change Me" a good bit, actually. I'd put "You Won't Change Me" in my top 30 or so, actually. But other than that, it's not that great of an album. How someone could say that they didn't improve with Never Say Die is beyond me.

TonyD
09-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah there are a couple songs worth hearing every once in a while, but the previous six albums make it sound like shit.

Maideneer
09-08-2011, 06:40 PM
If this is a bad album, I'm in for a treat. Absolutely nothing wrong with this record, look forward to picking up another one soon. They are cheap as sin on Amazon, I might hit another one up. What other record sucks? :)

IrritatedTrout
09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Never Say Die is the second worst Ozzy record but it's an improvement over Technical and it's actually pretty decent.

ravenheart
09-09-2011, 02:18 AM
Never Say Die is the second worst Ozzy record but it's an improvement over Technical and it's actually pretty decent.

This. Although I refer to it as the seventh best ;)

ravenheart
09-09-2011, 02:19 AM
If this is a bad album, I'm in for a treat. Absolutely nothing wrong with this record, look forward to picking up another one soon. They are cheap as sin on Amazon, I might hit another one up. What other record sucks? :)

None of the others suck. But if you're going in reverse order of quality, 'Never Say Die' is most certainly next.

SomewhereInTime72
09-10-2011, 12:11 AM
I actually really like NSD! but, I totally agree with ranking it low compared to the other Ozzy Sabbath albums. (this post is replying to a relatively offtopic tangent to the thread, I voted eternal idol)

El Gordo
09-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Into The Void... incredibly boring and uninteresting. Did I just commit a metal sin?

I realize I'm a little late, but... that's like saying the invention of the wheel wasn't any big deal.

MetalIsArt
09-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah! :bouville::flame:

makethemsuffer12
09-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I realize I'm a little late, but... that's like saying the invention of the wheel wasn't any big deal.

+100000000000000000000000

ravenheart
09-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I actually really like NSD! but, I totally agree with ranking it low compared to the other Ozzy Sabbath albums. (this post is replying to a relatively offtopic tangent to the thread, I voted eternal idol)

So do I. It was my first non-compilation Ozzy Sabbath record. I got 'We Sold Our Souls For Rock n Roll' first, then got NSD because I figured I might as well get one of the ones which came out after We Sold Our Souls so as not to duplicate songs with only my second purchase.

Johnny Blade and Shock Wave are in my top 20 Sabbath songs.

But it's still the seventh best album of the eight ;)