PDA

View Full Version : Another stage collapse; five dead and 60+ injured

brutal_descent
08-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Update: Pukkelpop 2011 has been canceled.

Another stage has collapsed, this time at the Pukkelpop festival in Hasselt, Belgium. NME reports that a storm caused trees to fall over, destroying The Chateau stage. Another stage, Shelter, was also reportedly damaged by trees. According to Associated Press, three people have died and at least 70 were injured as a result of the stage collapse.

Chicago-based indie-rock band Smith Westerns was playing on The Chateau stage at the time of its collapse. Frontman Cullen Omori has since issued the following statement:

We had just finished the first song of our set at Pukkelpop when the stage/tent started shaking and simply thought it was a storm passing through. I made a comment about Cheap Trick and we were about to play the next one when our tour manager yelled at me to run off the stage. Right then the tress collapsed 1 foot in front of Max. At this point we thought only the stage broke, not the tent. Amid the chaos it was hard to tell exactly what had happened, but after the rescue teams started coming in it became clear that there were severe injuries and we are now being told there are reports of multiple deaths. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones in today’s tragedy.

Below is video from Pukkelpop of a stage being battered by the storm. You can find a Belgian media report with more footage here.

treghet
08-19-2011, 12:26 AM
Read about this just a bit ago. Very sad.

Photos here:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/storm-sweeps-through-belgian-festival-1313698455-slideshow/

brutal_descent
08-19-2011, 12:32 AM
This is a bit personal for me, since I was this close to buying tickets for me and three other friends this year before I decided on hitting up Graspop. I could've easily been there, watching the Smith Westerns. :(

SomewhereInTime72
08-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Fuck...

MetalIsArt
08-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Pukkelpop this year had Foo Fighters, As I Lay Dying, Within Temptation, Skunk Anansie, Rival Sons, Deftones, Suicidal Tendencies and a lot more (styles variating from dance to metal). Metallica, Slipknot, Korn & Iron Maiden have played there too.

It's a sad day for the flemish musicfestivals, let this be the only time. RIP.

DisposableJustice
08-19-2011, 09:16 AM
Damn first the stage accident at the Indiana state fair now this? Freaky

RIP to those who lost their lives :(