PDA

View Full Version : Dave Mustaine - "I will not play 'PEACE SELLS' in its entirety."

Butcher of Birth
08-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Revolver: Dave, last year Megadeth played a bunch of 20th anniversary Rust In Peace shows, Can you see the band doing the same thing for your album, Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?, which turns 25 this year?

Dave Mustaine: No, no, no, no, no, no no. That Rust In Peace tour was horrible. Playing the same record every night, are you fucking kidding me? It was like Groundhog Day. I wouldn't mind doing a Peace Sells medley and doing four or five songs in a row. But playing the entire record is very demanding. It's back-to-back hellishness, and it's exhausting for the audience. To be a good live performer, you need to know how to use dynamics with the audience - they need to breathe like an organism. If you're just beating them senseless , they're not gonna enjoy it. It's just gonna be a loud roar from the beginning to the end.

Sorry everyone who was hoping for this. I think him saying the audience wouldn't like it is half true, the older fans would most likely keel over, but the younger fans, like myself, would be all over it. He might always be skirting the issue to the fans as to not make the band seem too old to be able to handle it.

JRA
08-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Maybe you could not play the album from front to back Dave. :tp: Do what Deep Purple did with Machine Head and just play all the songs in random order with the rest of the set.

Maidenmagic
08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I think the main reason is his refusal to play the conjuring (and Bad Omen, I assume.)

bt11763
08-18-2011, 02:42 PM
or maybe he actually made a good decision for once by knocking it off with all of this album tour crap. it was cool for like 5 seconds, they played it for like a year straight. he probably can't even stand to play any of those songs now.

electrocute1031
08-18-2011, 02:48 PM
But playing the entire record is very demanding. It's back-to-back hellishness, and it's exhausting for the audience. To be a good live performer, you need to know how to use dynamics with the audience - they need to breathe like an organism. If you're just beating them senseless , they're not gonna enjoy it. It's just gonna be a loud roar from the beginning to the end.

Classic Dave Mustaine response right there.

mankvill
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Maybe you could not play the album from front to back Dave. :tp: Do what Deep Purple did with Machine Head and just play all the songs in random order with the rest of the set.

Def.

KillerCannabis
08-18-2011, 02:59 PM
It's so hellish that you did it on the RIP 20th tour and your tour with Slayer?

Ok...

IrritatedTrout
08-18-2011, 03:13 PM
I'm ok with him not doing it, that's his choice. But how can he bitch about playing RIP when Megadeth have played virtually the same set for years now? This is coming from a fan who's seen them 6 times too.

mankvill
08-18-2011, 03:15 PM
He never said he was gonna do a Peace Sells tour, but I swear to God he said he would play some shows after Mayhem where he did all of Peace Sells.

OraclesofAgony
08-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Then at least play the Conjuring and Bad Omen for Satan's sake. I want to hear more from it than just Wake Up Dead and the title track.

BloodoftheKings
08-18-2011, 03:47 PM
He's been playing basically the same setlist for years anyway, I didn't think he could get tired of playing the same songs.

Jochen
08-18-2011, 05:27 PM
I've seen Megadeth five times and the RIP tour was the best, because it was mostly songs that weren't played the other four times I've seen them. If Dave doesn't want to do all of Peace Sells, I guess that's fine, but change up your set or play more than two songs from Peace Sells. I mean, Jesus, I've only seen Wake Up Dead, Peace Sells, and Devils Island, whereas I've seen FIVE songs from UA. Not good.

Maideneer
08-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I've seen half the album anyway, Peace Sells, The Conjuring, Devil's Island & Wake Up Dead, so whatever. As long as GM/BF gets played somewhere along the line, I could care less if I ever see a garbage song like I Ain't Superstitious. Folks, this album is well overrated anyway, Youthanasia & Cryptic Writings piss all over it.

HackedUpForBBQ
08-18-2011, 05:57 PM
No, no, no, no, no, no no. That Rust In Peace tour was horrible.

On the contrary, that was one of the best club shows I've ever seen. I mean, c'mon, hearing Polaris live? That was fucking ridiculous, and when are they ever gonna play that again?

larvtard
08-18-2011, 05:59 PM
On the contrary, that was one of the best club shows I've ever seen. I mean, c'mon, hearing Polaris live? That was fucking ridiculous, and when are they ever gonna play that again?

:agree: My favorite 'Deth song right there. Megedeth wasn't very good, but the whole show was pretty cool.

HackedUpForBBQ
08-18-2011, 06:03 PM
:agree: My favorite 'Deth song right there. Megedeth wasn't very good, but the whole show was pretty cool.

I honestly thought Megadeth were great that night. I'm also a sucker for hearing entire albums live, so getting Rust In Peace AND The Legacy at the same show was absolute insanity. When Exodus is the opening band, you know you're at a legit thrash show

larvtard
08-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I honestly thought Megadeth were great that night. I'm also a sucker for hearing entire albums live, so getting Rust In Peace AND The Legacy at the same show was absolute insanity. When Exodus is the opening band, you know you're at a legit thrash show

Yeah, first time seeing both Exodus and Testament. Both made the show for me. I hate The Legacy but I think it's a testament to how awesome they are (ha) that they made an album I hate so much sound so absolutely incredible live.

Both times I've seen Megadeth, they're really meh.

makethemsuffer12
08-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I've seen half the album anyway, Peace Sells, The Conjuring, Devil's Island & Wake Up Dead, so whatever. As long as GM/BF gets played somewhere along the line, I could care less if I ever see a garbage song like I Ain't Superstitious. Folks, this album is well overrated anyway, Youthanasia & Cryptic Writings piss all over it.

http://eyesalt.net/p/y%2Fp%2Fypyilvrdxxvnkoulbqhruzvyprgetppywkrgtfciwk dgjuasdr.jpg

Seriously, one stupid cover song doesn't discredit a whole album. I'd rather hear "My Last Words" over any song on those two albums.

treghet
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Seriously, one stupid cover song doesn't discredit a whole album. I'd rather hear "My Last Words" over any song on those two albums.

Yep. Don't mind him, he's on crack.

makethemsuffer12
08-18-2011, 06:55 PM
Yep. Don't mind him, he's on crack.

Or..."Burnt Ice"

HUUURRRR SEE WAT I DID THAR

BloodoftheKings
08-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Youthanasisa and Cryptic Writings? You mean those album that have like, 3 good songs and a bunch of forgettable tracks. Sure I Ain't Superstitious is kinda dumb but even that song is better then most of the tracks on those 2 albums. Not to mention every other track on Peace Sells is amazing and even comparing any post countdown songs to them is flat out ridiculous.

larvtard
08-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Youthanasisa and Cryptic Writings? You mean those album that have like, 3 good songs and a bunch of forgettable tracks. Sure I Ain't Superstitious is kinda dumb but even that song is better then most of the tracks on those 2 albums. Not to mention every other track on Peace Sells is amazing and even comparing any post countdown songs to them is flat out ridiculous.

This, with good grammar.

makethemsuffer12
08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
This, with good grammar.

:lol:

SomewhereInTime72
08-19-2011, 12:27 AM
I get what he says about playing the same album over and over every night being tiring for the band, but playing the album straight through is in NO way tiring for fans imo. Everyone in the audience fucking loved the RIP set when I saw it. Not to mention... you really shouldn't insinuate that your album is boring played front to back, no? Anyone who likes the album has listened to it front to back countless times, and playing it like that live won't make it less exciting - but more*.

But fuck it, I'm more excited dreaming about the (not) eventual SFSGSW 25th anniversary tour.

*may not necessarily be the case if the album is ridiculously long (hour+)

Maidenmagic
08-19-2011, 05:00 AM
My favorite Megadeth album is Youthanasia and I wouldn't want to hear the whole thing live. In fact, I don't like the whole album live concept. It's an easy way for a band to fill up a setlist. I've seen Megadeth do it with RIP and Rush do it with Moving pictures and they were both great shows. But I can't think of another album from a diffferent band that I would to see live.

WOLVERINEKILLS
08-19-2011, 05:48 AM
Irritated Trout has a point. We know we will hear Peace Sells, Holy Wars & Symphony of Destruction at most normal Megadeth shows. I would also like to see the following replaced:

Wake Up Dead for The Conjuring
A Tout Le Monde for Foreclosure Of A Dream
She-Wolf for Devils Island
Headcrusher for This Day We Fight
Skin O' My Teeth for High Speed Dirt
Hanger 18 for Five Magics
Trust for Use The Man

That would be a nice change.

brutal_descent
08-19-2011, 05:53 AM
Irritated Trout has a point. We know we will hear Peace Sells, Holy Wars & Symphony of Destruction at most normal Megadeth shows. I would also like to see the following replaced:

Trust for Use The Man

I'd only want to keep Head Crusher and Wake Up Dead in their sets from those songs. But otherwise, carry on :rocker:

MetalIsArt
08-19-2011, 05:55 AM
No, boring setlists is better.

MetalIsArt
08-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Youthanasia is one of the most underrated albums ever, I'd rather see them play some songs of it than "trust" over & over again.

daimonos
08-19-2011, 06:11 AM
Youthanasia is one of the most underrated albums ever, I'd rather see them play some songs of it than "trust" over & over again.

This. Youthanasia is actually might be my favorite Megadeth album, but I don't listen to them anymore.

Sanitarium78
08-19-2011, 06:14 AM

Trust for Use The Man

Hangar 18 should never and probably will never leave the set. Hangar 18 is to Megadeth what One is to Metallica. They just can't drop it, it's too important to the bands history and their fanbase. I switch SOMT with AOA or TWMY. HSD is one of the weaker ones on that album.

I don't see Dave ever doing The Conjuring again. I don't understand that though, how does playing a song about black magic make Dave any less of a Christian? Does it somehow lessen his own personal faith in Jesus if he plays that song? If not, I don't see why he can't play it.

Youthanasia doesn't get enough love here. I can't be the only one who would love to hear Addicted To Chaos or Black Curtians? Even though I like She-Wolf, dropping that for something like Vortex would be cool.

Wrecking Crew
08-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Sorry everyone who was hoping for this. I think him saying the audience wouldn't like it is half true, the older fans would most likely keel over, but the younger fans, like myself, would be all over it.

On behalf of old people, we would love to hear Peace Sells in its entirety and would do just fine. I think older fans would probably like to hear this more than younger fans. Peace Sells, Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood made 1986 a fantastic year for metal and as I recall was the year thrash first started selling in decent numbers and got noticed by outlets like MTV. </old guy rant>

Butcher of Birth
08-19-2011, 08:59 AM
On behalf of old people, we would love to hear Peace Sells in its entirety and would do just fine. I think older fans would probably like to hear this more than younger fans. Peace Sells, Master of Puppets and Reign in Blood made 1986 a fantastic year for metal and as I recall was the year thrash first started selling in decent numbers and got noticed by outlets like MTV. </old guy rant>

I meant in terms of live. From my experience with older bands with a young fanbase, the older fans get really pissed at us young kids enjoying ourselves, we are being too rough or what have you. I mean if the older fans stay in the back or at least don't complain about how rough it is in the pit, then I'm for them being there.

Also, my favorite Megadeth album is Youthanasia.

mastodon421
08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I am the only one here that thinks Youthanasia sucks?

makethemsuffer12
08-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Yes.

BloodoftheKings
08-19-2011, 09:50 AM

I think it's just ok. There's some gems on that album but most of it is forgettable.

Wrecking Crew
08-19-2011, 10:07 AM
I meant in terms of live. I mean if the older fans stay in the back or at least don't complain about how rough it is in the pit, then I'm for them being there.

Also, my favorite Megadeth album is Youthanasia.

I hear what you're saying, I just saw Slayer for the first time a couple of weeks ago and since I am old (I mean experienced) I knew what to expect and stayed far away from the pit. You're completely wrong about the best Megadeth album though, Rust in Peace is the clear winner :D I was in the pit for the original Rust In Peace tour back in '90.

PlaysWithKnives
08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't have a problem with them not doing Peace Sells in it's entirty. I like more variety in setlists anyway. I just think it's funny how he says he got bored of the same set when that's basically what Megadeth sets are, the same. Dave either doesn't realize what a great catalog of songs he has to pick from, or he just doesn't care. As great as they are live, some good rarely played songs or lost classics would be nice.

OraclesofAgony
08-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Aside from Train of Consequences, I never listen to it.

Maidenmagic
08-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Aside from Train of Consequences, I never listen to it.

You're missing out.

treghet
08-19-2011, 10:56 PM

Nope, I think it's horrible. Not the worst thing they've done, but I still can't enjoy it at all.

Butcher of Birth
08-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Now I want a 20th Anniversary Youthanasia tour to spite you lot.

Maideneer
08-20-2011, 06:50 AM
Now I want a 20th Anniversary Youthanasia tour to spite you lot.

:lovedup:

makethemsuffer12
08-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Nope, I think it's horrible. Not the worst thing they've done, but I still can't enjoy it at all.

Y'all motherfuckers need to listen to "The Killing Road" again.

mastodon421
08-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Y'all motherfuckers need to listen to "The Killing Road" again.

Nah, I'm good;)

makethemsuffer12
08-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Nah, I'm good;)

No, seriously, do it. I don't see how you could like Megadeth and not like that song.

300%_Density
08-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Agree. I've tried giving that album a few chances, giving it several months in between listens and I just cannot do it. Glad to see that I am not alone.

Maideneer
08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I hope they play Risk in it's entirety. It would be a nice change.

IrritatedTrout
08-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Youth is a great album.

treghet
08-20-2011, 02:18 PM
I hope they play Risk in it's entirety. It would be a nice change.

I can't tell if you're joking or trying to insinuate an argument...

Maideneer
08-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I saw the Risk tour, it was fun. Scores of people standing around confused, I loved it.

makethemsuffer12
08-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I saw the Risk tour, it was fun. Scores of people standing around confused, I loved it.

:lol:

I wouldn't mind it if Dave did "Crush 'Em" again. I fucking love that song, though I'm sure it would definitely get a very odd crowd reaction haha.

BloodoftheKings
08-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Risk isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. The only songs on that album that are really horrible are Crush 'Em and The Doctor Is Calling. I actually like Prince of Darkness, Breadline, and I'll Be There.

makethemsuffer12
08-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Risk isn't as bad as most people make it out to be. The only songs on that album that are really horrible are Crush 'Em and The Doctor Is Calling. I actually like Prince of Darkness, Breadline, and I'll Be There.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH.

mastodon421
08-20-2011, 03:21 PM
If Megadeth played all of Risk live, I will personally murder Dave Mustaine.

Maidenmagic
08-20-2011, 04:31 PM

Don't worry. That won't happen. I actually think that Risk is better than The World needs a hero. That one is their worst album.

Butcher of Birth
08-20-2011, 05:02 PM

Get in line, I'm sure you're number would be well into the triple digits of people who don't like him haha.

IrritatedTrout
08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I actually think that Risk is better than The World needs a hero. That one is their worst album.

I agree.

Sanitarium78
08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
I get why some people don't like Youthanasia as a whole. But I don't get why a Megadeth fan wouldn't like Reckoning Day, The Killing Road and Black Curtians:confused:

Butcher of Birth
08-20-2011, 05:30 PM
I get why some people don't like Youthanasia as a whole. But I don't get why a Megadeth fan wouldn't like Reckoning Day, The Killing Road and Black Curtians:confused:

Or the Title Track... Addicted to Chaos... Victory... :mad:

Sanitarium78
08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Or the Title Track... Addicted to Chaos... Victory... :mad:

Yes, ATC is great to. But I can get why some wouldn't like it since it's a "relationship song".

But Reckoning Day, The Killing Road and Black Curtians have a sound that all Megadeth fans should love.

Indestructible
08-20-2011, 06:12 PM
Does anyone on this site like anything? The only song on Youthanasia I don't like is I Thought I Knew It All.

Butcher of Birth
08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Does anyone on this site like anything? The only song on Youthanasia I don't like is I Thought I Knew It All.

Which happens to be my favorite off that album haha.

In terms of Megadeth, it's easier to say what I don't like as opposed to what I do.

Half of Killing is My Business, half of Peace Sells, most of So Far, So Good... From Rust through Cryptic, probably only 3-4 songs I don't like, but still those songs I rank higher than the earlier material. RISK is very hit and miss, I don't like half of World Needs a Hero (dreadful release). System Has Failed is overall a solid return, easily the best since CW. UA is front loaded, the last half isn't "bad", just boring.

Endgame was outstanding to me, only 1 or 2 tracks that don't shoot me over the moon.

Dextrimental
08-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Only records I dislike by Megadeth: Risk, The System Has Failed, World Needs A Hero.

Everything else is ranges from OK to excellent in my opinion.

makethemsuffer12
08-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Only records I dislike by Megadeth: Risk, The System Has Failed, World Needs A Hero.

Everything else is ranges from OK to excellent in my opinion.

I always felt this one was a little overrated. I rarely listen to it aside from a few songs, even though I don't think it's bad by any means.