Sick of It All
Six Feet Under
UDO
Victims of Deception
Watain
Winterfylleth

llama lom
08-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Not a bad first announcement. I hope there are a couple more good bands coming.

RAZOR
08-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Pretty sweet so far. :rocker:

ravenheart
08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
Not a bad first announcement. I hope there are a couple more good bands coming.

Probably not. There are only about eight good bands per day at Wacken, and most of those play at the same time. They always announce most of the good ones first to make you think the line-up is going to be stellar. Add the other two headliners a bit later, then spend months adding crap.

The first day only has two bands on the main stage all day.

Lame festival.

From those so far I'm hoping for Scorpions, ARP and Gamma Ray at Sweden Rock. Wouldn't argue with Forbidden either. U.D.O. would be a welcome return, but he only played in 2010, so probably won't get invited back so soon.

rjturtle9
08-17-2011, 09:38 PM
Does want!

Spiner202
08-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I was going to go to Maryland Deathfest, but I saw the announcement of HammerFall and decided to buy tickets for this. I'm just waiting for them to arrive in the mail :D

brutal_descent
08-18-2011, 07:59 AM
I was going to go to Maryland Deathfest, but I saw the announcement of HammerFall and decided to buy tickets for this. I'm just waiting for them to arrive in the mail :D

That's pretty ballsy, dude. :D Unlike this year, I'm going to only buy early-bird tickets to Graspop if Black Sabbath is one of the headliners, or if they book Ministry and/or Amon Amarth.

ShatteredFlame
08-18-2011, 08:09 AM

70000 Tons of Metal also has them and has a better lineup and is in North America man.

brutal_descent
08-18-2011, 08:14 AM
70000 Tons of Metal also has them and has a better lineup and is in North America man.

:facepalm:

ShatteredFlame
08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
:facepalm:

which is for?

ravenheart
08-18-2011, 08:28 AM
which is for?

Not picking up on the sarcasm, I would expect.

Spiner202
08-18-2011, 09:23 AM

I wish I could go to 70000 Tons of Metal but I have school. Trust me, if I could go to that cruise, I would have gone last year (and this year). I did want to go to Wacken eventually and my school schedule means that I have to go in 2012 or wait until 2017.

ravenheart
08-18-2011, 10:04 AM
If you're coming all the way over here, spending all that money, you could have least have picked a decent festival!

brutal_descent
08-18-2011, 10:05 AM
If you're coming all the way over here, spending all that money, you could have least have picked a decent festival!

like graspop, y'know

:eyes:

MetalIsArt
08-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Graspop should be two days again & have more styles of methul.

Wacken will be sold out next week already or so lol.

brutal_descent
08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Two new additions:

Six Feet Under
Endstille (DE)

ravenheart
08-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Wacken will be sold out next week already or so lol.

Pretty much my point.

brutal_descent
08-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Another addition:

Henry Rollins

Probably spoken word, though. :fist:

brutal_descent
09-15-2011, 09:01 AM
New additions:

Dimmu Borgir (Norway)
Paradise Lost (UK)
Watain (Sweden)

Maidenmagic
09-15-2011, 11:57 AM
Another addition:

Henry Rollins

Probably spoken word, though. :fist:

I wonder how people will react to that. Hopefully they won't yell "We want music!" or something like that.

mankvill
09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I love Henry Rollins and I love his spoken word stuff, but having him at Wacken will be a disaster.

ravenheart
09-15-2011, 03:46 PM
I wonder how people will react to that. Hopefully they won't yell "We want music!" or something like that.

He has done spoken word sets at both Download and Sonisphere to good reception, but those are English audiences. Not sure being in front of a German crowd will be so successful.

JRA
09-15-2011, 03:54 PM
I love Henry Rollins spoken word, but at Wacken...bad, bad idea.

I say just this one time, Black Flag reunion.

MPF
09-15-2011, 04:08 PM
I love Henry Rollins and I love his spoken word stuff, but having him at Wacken will be a disaster.

I would go to Wacken just for Rollins.

Rollin's = GOD!

brutal_descent
09-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Added:

Moonspell (Portugal)
Winterfylleth (UK)

ravenheart
09-20-2011, 07:16 AM
Added:

Moonspell (Portugal)
Winterfylleth (UK)

You forgot In Extremo.

brutal_descent
09-20-2011, 07:24 AM
You forgot In Extremo.

Right. Noticed that just now.

ravenheart
09-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Right. Noticed that just now.

That's what you get for not paying attention to my updates ;)

ravenheart
09-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Napalm Death.

Spiner202
09-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Napalm Death.

This is a good excuse for me to start buying their albums!

Also, I checked out Winterfylleth and I was really impressed, so I look forward to seeing them too, even though I had no clue who they were prior to Wacken starting.

brutal_descent
09-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Dark Funeral too.

ChildrenofSodom
09-23-2011, 06:06 AM
I would go to Wacken just for Rollins.

Rollin's = GOD!

His what? Rollin's what?

brutal_descent
09-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Sick Of It All added to the bill.

ravenheart
09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
His what? Rollin's what?

Maybe it's not something of his, maybe he is something.

larvtard
09-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Maybe it's not something of his, maybe he is something.

But the equal sign already means is, so in that case, he was being redundant.

But we all know that's not what MPF meant :tongue:

MPF
09-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you guys for reminding me why I shouldn't post 10 minutes after I wake up. :D

brutal_descent
09-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Coroner and Machine Head announced.

Spiner202
09-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Coroner and Machine Head announced.

I could not be more excited for Coroner :D

I'll pass on Machine Head though...

Spiner202
11-15-2011, 05:53 AM
It sounds like one of the major headliners will be announced tomorrow at midnight (which I assume means tomorrow afternoon for those of us in North America, I have no clue how many hours ahead Germany is). Then they'll put out a few more bands in November, and the advent calendar in December.

Can anyone who followed this in previous years confirm if the advent calendar is one band per day?

I would guess the big headliner would be Black Sabbath, given the timing. Otherwise, I have no clue who it could be.

xa123
11-15-2011, 09:02 AM
There's a counter on the hellfest website that is set for an announcement in 3 days and people are saying it's probably to announce Black Sabbath. The font of the counter also matches with Sabbath so yeah it's probably the same thing for Wacken

brutal_descent
11-15-2011, 09:03 AM
There's a counter on the hellfest website that is set for an announcement in 3 days and people are saying it's probably to announce Black Sabbath. The font of the counter also matches with Sabbath so yeah it's probably the same thing for Wacken

Same with Graspop.

ravenheart
11-15-2011, 11:27 AM
If Sabbath do play other festivals I'm going to be upset. The timing of Sweden Rock means they won't be playing there because Download has already been advertised as their first date, and it's the day after SRF finishes.

Real shame because they could easily have played SRF.

Spiner202
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
And the big announcement is...

Volbeat.

You have got to be kidding. If they get a headlining spot (which most people seem to think they are getting one), I will feel cheated out of my money. There's no way they deserve to be at Wacken, let alone in a headlining spot. I had to endure them at Heavy TO and they sucked. Not only that, but if they are in a headlining spot, they're taking away a spot from any number of giant bands (seeing as how there really aren't that many that could draw a headlining spot).

Between announcements like Ministry, Volbeat, and Machine Head, I'm really hoping things pick up in December. Is there even a Death Metal band yet?

:mad:

Edit: Actually there are 3, but still, it feels like they haven't even gotten a major Death/Black/Thrash band yet

Butcher of Birth
11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Between announcements like Ministry, Volbeat, and Machine Head, I'm really hoping things pick up in December. Is there even a Death Metal band yet?

Don't worry man, it will pick up. I can't recall them having a bad year, yet. :lol:

Spiner202
11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Don't worry man, it will pick up. I can't recall them having a bad year, yet. :lol:

I know. I've been looking at the past years and it's been constantly amazing. I'm just worried that none of the usual suspects (namely: Sodom/Destruction/Kreator) have signed on yet.

On the other hand, I don't possibly see how it could be bad with HammerFall and Gamma Ray, but it is a long way to go for 2 bands that I love and a handful of bands that I enjoy.

ravenheart
11-17-2011, 02:56 AM
I can't recall them having a bad year, yet. :lol:

I can...

More announcements expected today and tomorrow.

dcmetal108
11-17-2011, 08:38 AM
VOLBEAT!

Had to come in and say how much I love them.

Butcher of Birth
11-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I can...

NAME IT!

MPF
11-17-2011, 05:03 PM
VOLBEAT!

Had to come in and say how much I love them.

Before or After Fallen became a radio single?

AnataFan4Life
11-17-2011, 06:30 PM
I've been a fan of Volbeat since I discovered them in 2009, and I didn't even know Fallen was a single until people started talking about it.

I can only wonder whether or not they are going to eventually let this newfound success water down their music though :snivel:

Spiner202
11-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Opeth is the next confirmed band.

:mad:

dcmetal108
11-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I've been a fan of Volbeat since I discovered them in 2009, and I didn't even know Fallen was a single until people started talking about it.

I can only wonder whether or not they are going to eventually let this newfound success water down their music though :snivel:

I doubt it will since they are still arent huge in the US.

I didn't know Fallen was a single even.

Spiner202
11-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Suicide Silence...

I'm starting to lose hope :(

Spiner202
11-27-2011, 08:25 AM
In Flames has been confirmed.

Are they still good live? I'm not really a fan of what I've heard, but if they are still good live, I'll force myself to like them :P

mastodon421
11-27-2011, 08:34 AM

Are they still good live? I'm not really a fan of what I've heard, but if they are still good live, I'll force myself to like them :P

They still put on a great show. Even the new stuff sounds awesome live.

Spiner202
11-27-2011, 08:38 AM
They still put on a great show. Even the new stuff sounds awesome live.

Good to know. My brother has most of their albums so I'll give them another shot (I listened to the Jester Race a while ago but didn't like it too much).

llama lom
11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Suicide Silence...

I'm starting to lose hope :(

This won't be pretty. I'm predicting bottles, fights, the whole thing.

ravenheart
11-27-2011, 04:04 PM

Not only confirmed, they're headlining.

ravenheart
11-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Too late. They've been on "yay, people like us now" auto-pilot for two albums.

Epidemic Reign
11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Good to know. My brother has most of their albums so I'll give them another shot (I listened to the Jester Race a while ago but didn't like it too much).

WAT

Spiner202
11-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Not only confirmed, they're headlining.

I wasn't sure about this one because he said they're headlining again. Did they headline last time they were at Wacken?

WAT

I'm not that into Melodic Death Metal. I can handle a few CoB albums, and Crystal Age (which comes more from my love of HammerFall than of Melodeath). I'm willing to give it another shot, but I don't expect them to become a favourite of mine.

Epidemic Reign
11-27-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm not that into Melodic Death Metal. I can handle a few CoB albums, and Crystal Age (which comes more from my love of HammerFall than of Melodeath). I'm willing to give it another shot, but I don't expect them to become a favourite of mine.

Well if you're going to see them at Wacken, then you're going to mostly hear stuff that is very, very different from The Jester Race. But most In Flames fans would say that their older albums (such as The Jester Race) are far better than their newer albums.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you can't get into that album, you might as well just scrap the idea of getting into them at all :lol:

Although, I don't know. Maybe their current sound would appeal to you.

Spiner202
11-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Well if you're going to see them at Wacken, then you're going to mostly hear stuff that is very, very different from The Jester Race. But most In Flames fans would say that their older albums (such as The Jester Race) are far better than their newer albums.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you can't get into that album, you might as well just scrap the idea of getting into them at all :lol:

Although, I don't know. Maybe their current sound would appeal to you.

I listened to a couple songs from the new album and it reminded me of newer Sonata Arctica in the sense that it's just really unremarkable. It's not bad, and I could listen to it if I had to, but I would much rather listen to something else. I guess I'll wait to see who else gets confirmed in December before I decide to listen to tons of In Flames.

Spiner202
11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Wacken is officially sold out! I'm definitely amazed at how quickly this thing sells, but at least I have my tickets :D

Also, I've heard rumours that both Saxon and Immortal band members have confirmed they are playing. If so then I am extremely happy. I'm not a huge fan of either band, though I enjoy them, but it's nice to see METAL bands are back!

ravenheart
11-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Wacken's descent to commercial festival tedium continues. Great.

Spiner202
11-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Circle II Circle has been confirmed and will play Savatage's The Wake of Magellan in full with Chris Caffery.

I'd say this is a pretty good pick. Obviously they weren't going to get Savatage, so this is a pretty decent substitute. I still need to pick up that album, but I'm sure this will be a good performance.

ravenheart
11-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Circle II Circle has been confirmed and will play Savatage's The Wake of Magellan in full with Chris Caffery.

I'd say this is a pretty good pick. Obviously they weren't going to get Savatage, so this is a pretty decent substitute. I still need to pick up that album, but I'm sure this will be a good performance.

Now that is cool.

gilpdawg
12-01-2011, 12:13 AM

I would kill to be able to hop on a plane and see that. Love that record.

maidenpriest
12-01-2011, 01:09 AM

Where is Maiden33's reaction to this news?? lol

Spiner202
12-03-2011, 03:49 PM
The last few bands announced were Ghost Brigade, The Black Dahlia Murder, Electric Wizard, Warrior Soul, and DRI.

I've tried listening to Electric Wizard quite a few times and I just don't get it. I know everyone loves them, but I've always struggled with listening to Doom/Stoner. TBDM I don't really care for, but DRI is a fantastic announcement. I'll definitely be watching them!

TheGrandWazoo40
12-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Wacken's descent to commercial festival tedium continues. Great.

Wacken is the Bonnaroo of Metal Fests so I've been told from people who have been to both.

ravenheart
12-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Wacken is the Bonnaroo of Metal Fests so I've been told from people who have been to both.

You've been lied to. It's the V Festival of metal fests. Roadburn is the Bonnaroo of metal fests, albeit on a smaller scale.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-03-2011, 04:25 PM
If your talking in terms of line up, that was not what I was talking about. I was talking about size and how it's ran.

I get lied to every day, I live in the U.S. hahahaha

ravenheart
12-03-2011, 04:34 PM
If your talking in terms of line up, that was not what I was talking about. I was talking about size and how it's ran.

Oh, oversized and poorly? In that case it's the Reading/Leeds Carling Weekend of metal festivals :finger:

TheGrandWazoo40
12-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I've heard lots of horror stories from Reading. There really aren't any fests in other countries that I would really see myself going to. They're all too big. Fiji Rock Fest might be cool though.

ravenheart
12-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I've heard lots of horror stories from Reading. There really aren't any fests in other countries that I would really see myself going to. They're all too big. Fiji Rock Fest might be cool though.

Nah, not all of them at all. Most are less than half the size of Bonnaroo.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-03-2011, 05:18 PM
That's still a little too big for my taste. I like my fests at around 25 k at the very most. Smaller the better.

ravenheart
12-03-2011, 05:54 PM
That's still a little too big for my taste. I like my fests at around 25 k at the very most. Smaller the better.

Sweden Rock, Roadburn, Damnation, occasionally Gods of Metal (depends on the venue, they change it regularly), Kings of Black Metal, Bloodstock, Hard Rock Hell, Hammerfest, Firefest, Bang Your Head!!!, Rock Hard, RockHarz...

There are a lot that size or smaller.

mankvill
12-03-2011, 07:00 PM
ravenheart if I paid for it, would you go to Obscene Extreme with me? :3

TheGrandWazoo40
12-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Sweden Rock, Roadburn, Damnation, occasionally Gods of Metal (depends on the venue, they change it regularly), Kings of Black Metal, Bloodstock, Hard Rock Hell, Hammerfest, Firefest, Bang Your Head!!!, Rock Hard, RockHarz...

There are a lot that size or smaller.

Yeah, but I doubt they get line ups that would make traveling across the pond worth it. Especially since you can't hitch hike there.

ravenheart
12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
ravenheart if I paid for it, would you go to Obscene Extreme with me? :3

Depends... is there someone else I can go when I ditch you? :finger:

ravenheart
12-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, but I doubt they get line ups that would make traveling across the pond worth it. Especially since you can't hitch hike there.

I would disagree entirely, as would all the Americans who do just that for those events, but yes... you can't thumb your way onto a plane ;)

TheGrandWazoo40
12-03-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm sure it's worth it to some. But it just probably wouldn't be worth it to me. There aren't many metal bands I haven't seen yet that I would like to, maybe if they got them all on one bill or something I could see myself making an effort.

Spiner202
12-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Since the D.R.I. announcement, we've had Red Fang, Nasum, Kylesa, and most importantly (really the only one I care about) WARBRINGER!!!!!!!

So during Warbringer's North American headlining tour, they made the Toronto date 19+, and then I couldn't get a ride to the Buffalo date (even though it was on a Saturday). When I saw Kreator/Exodus in 2009, I had no clue who Warbringer was and skipped them. They've become one of my favourites since then and I can't explain what a great announcement this is. They're now the third most important band I see at Wacken (#1 and 2 being HammerFall and Gamma Ray).

WARBRINGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

ravenheart
12-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Great, so Warbringer can play their standard, messy support slot 30 minutes. What a win :|

Spiner202
12-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Great, so Warbringer can play their standard, messy support slot 30 minutes. What a win :|

More like an hour of brutal thrashing madness.

ravenheart
12-07-2011, 08:00 AM
More like an hour of brutal thrashing madness.

I highly doubt that'll get an hour.

And if "brutal thrashing madness" is how you term "messy", fine :finger:

Spiner202
12-07-2011, 08:13 AM
I highly doubt that'll get an hour.

And if "brutal thrashing madness" is how you term "messy", fine :finger:

They'll get 45 minutes to an hour at least. Certainly not just 30 minutes.

http://www.wacken.com/nc/en/woa2012/main-history/history/woa-2011/running-order-2011/

smearCampaign
12-07-2011, 08:45 AM
If you are so excited about Warbringer you should sell your Wacken ticket and go to Party San Open Air instead; you'd get your Warbringer plus Immortal, Bolt Thrower, Tankard, Incantation, Cattle Decapitation, Toxic Holocaust and Archgoat among others. It's the weekend after Wacken and also in Germany so you should actually just go to both. :D

http://www.party-san.de/bands-2012/

Spiner202
12-07-2011, 08:47 AM
If you are so excited about Warbringer you should sell your Wacken ticket and go to Party San Open Air instead; you'd get your Warbringer plus Immortal, Bolt Thrower, Incantation, Cattle Decapitation, Toxic Holocaust and Archgoat among others. It's the weekend after Wacken and also in Germany so you should actually just go to both. :D

http://www.party-san.de/bands-2012/

That's a pretty good lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wacken gets a few of those bands too. Besides Bolt Thrower, I could see any of them playing Wacken, especially Tankard.

Also, while Warbringer is a huge attraction for me, the most important band that I see is HammerFall :D

Crionics
01-08-2012, 09:52 AM
So I might be in a serious talk to go to this. I became good friends with a German Foreign Exchange student at my school from Hamburg this year and he invited me to come to Wacken over the Summer as he has extra passes. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Sure Wacken might not be the greatest festival but it will still be a blast and a cool way to see a friend across seas.

Spiner202
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
So I might be in a serious talk to go to this. I became good friends with a German Foreign Exchange student at my school from Hamburg this year and he invited me to come to Wacken over the Summer as he has extra passes. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Sure Wacken might not be the greatest festival but it will still be a blast and a cool way to see a friend across seas.

I'm certain you will have a great time. Even if you only see a few bands a day, I can imagine that it's just a great atmosphere, and a lot of fun in general.

I am curious to know how he has extra tickets (unless he bought them knowing that they would sell out so quickly).

ALSO: HAMMERFALL, GAMMA RAY, AND WARBRINGER :rocker::rocker:

Crionics
01-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm certain you will have a great time. Even if you only see a few bands a day, I can imagine that it's just a great atmosphere, and a lot of fun in general.

I am curious to know how he has extra tickets (unless he bought them knowing that they would sell out so quickly).ALSO: HAMMERFALL, GAMMA RAY, AND WARBRINGER :rocker::rocker:

I think he got a few passes for his Christmas present from his dad (who also listens to metal) who bought them early, knowing that he would invite people.

Spiner202
01-24-2012, 06:54 PM
In the past few days Aura Noir and the mighty OVERKILL have been confirmed. Things are definitely starting to look up for Wacken. Admittedly, I have lowered my standards a bit, but I'm probably already close to 25 bands I want to see.

I'm pretty sure there are still two major headliners left (since Overkill doesn't appear to be headlining), so there's still quite a bit of potential left.

Spiner202
03-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Sepultura was the most recent band to be confirmed. It sounds like they are doing something with a ton of drummers, but I'm still hoping for at least a couple of old tracks.

Also, the running order has been released (or at least, the days/stages, not the times). Friday and Saturday are going to be nuts, about 13 bands for me on Friday and around 10 or so on Saturday.

There's still one major spot left on Thursday night, and several other spots scattered throughout the day.

http://www.wacken.com/nc/en/woa2012/main-bands/running-order-2012/