PDA

View Full Version : JD091's TOP DEATHCORE ALBUMS!!!1! (you're moshing)

Pages : 1 [2]

GarageMetal468
08-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Veil of Maya?

jd091
08-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Veil of Maya?

Sumeriancore also. ;) I fucking love them! [id] is better than any deathcore record, period. :bowdown: :rocker: :shred:

Nick_to_the_face
08-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Hey now!!! Them and Papa Roach were my first ever shows. I still mildly enjoy Hed PE albums. Not like I used to. Probably not going due to a surplus of October shows now. ;)

:finger:

Will Manks and I be seeing you at Black Dahlia Murder?

jd091
08-20-2011, 01:30 PM
:finger:

Will Manks and I be seeing you at Black Dahlia Murder?

What? :eyes:

mastodon421
08-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Despised Icon-The Healing Process?

treghet
08-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Despised Icon-The Healing Process?

I actually hope it's this one.

mastodon421
08-20-2011, 01:41 PM
I actually hope it's this one.

That is a great record. If I made a Top 10 deathcore album list, that would probably be on it.

Nick_to_the_face
08-20-2011, 01:42 PM
What? :eyes:

He goes to shows in KC :eyes:

EDIT: I realized I didn't quote him :eyes:

AnataFan4Life
08-20-2011, 07:45 PM
I doubt it's them, but Animosity would be a nice surprise.

Despised Icon's The Healing Process seems pretty likely

300%_Density
08-20-2011, 08:58 PM
JD the music on here has pretty much been shit but I gotta give you credit for not being a douchebag like alot of deathcore kids are when you criticize the music. It's great that you can still find a sense of humor in all of this as well.

jd091
08-21-2011, 06:05 AM
JD the music on here has pretty much been shit but I gotta give you credit for not being a douchebag like alot of deathcore kids are when you criticize the music. It's great that you can still find a sense of humor in all of this as well.

Thanks! Like I say, I think I'm the rare metalhead that enjoys most aspects of the genre. I realize it's hated and criticized. In the end, it's pretty funny, right? Most deathcore moshbros are ignorant douchebags. The music is simple yet catchy. If you like it (like me), I think the best mentality to have is not to take it too seriously, because in the end of the day we're all being nerds here harshly arguing about the fine points of an extremely obscure and shunned style of music that 85% of normal people don't give a shit about, right? ;)

AnataFan4Life
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Number 1?

jd091
08-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Number 1?

Coming up soon, actually... Just got back from West Virginia, and I'm typing out a draft as we speak. ;)

mankvill
08-21-2011, 05:58 PM
hurr durr jfack

dey totes pleigh deth metuhl nao so dey r rel kewl

jd091
08-21-2011, 07:00 PM
1.) THE UNSPOKEN KING

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KqQcXWNSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So here it is: the best deathcore record of all time. This record gets a bad rap, but you gotta realize what it is that makes it beautiful: who better to perfect deathcore other than a legend of death metal? No one, that’s who.

With a band that produced such epic records as Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile, they are the perfect contenders to really understand the roots of deathcore. Coming out in 2008, the year of all years for the height of deathcore, Cryptopsy changed the game with this album. Before, there were just some angsty suburban kids who hated their parents and their parents’ religion, and wanted to bang on some instruments in frustration, getting smash some jailbait while at it. Unfortunately, because of that, they had absolutely zero troo cred from metalheads at the time. Open the curtains, ladies and gentlemen: here comes Cryptopsy to save the day.

Combining the awesomeness of what made them an influential death metal band with the groove of deathcore, The Unspoken King is a masterpiece of the genre. You’ll notice a lot of Korn influence, vocally and musically. Basically, Cryptopsy knew that Korn had something going for them to make them popular and heavy as fuck (heaviest band of the ‘90’s, no debate needed). But Korn lacked the brootalness of death metal, the crazy awesome technical riffs, and the image that the kids wanted to see in 2008. Pure deathcore bliss.

Songs like “Anoint the Dead”, “Bound Dead”, and “Bemoan the Martyr” are highlights of a pretty much perfect album. Every metal head needs to check this out. It’s definitely in my top 10 of all time, and set new standards for the genre. Unfortunately, nothing has come close to topping it since. If only we had more good death metal bands take the deathcore route: can you imagine Nile, Obituary, or Deicide would actually grow a pair, throw some breakdowns (and maybe even singing) into their music? It’s safe to say we would have the best genre of music our generation has ever seen. Morbid Angel tried this route, but wound up on the industrial metal path instead. Throw in some sick slamming material, Morbid, and come towards the light! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

Notable Tracks:
Bemoan the Martyr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlcqxMVlj8)
Anoint the Dead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Qz9uG6IOg)
Bound Dead (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJgSS0FP0w)

slapguitarer
08-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Troll detected.

treghet
08-21-2011, 07:06 PM
:axe:

AnataFan4Life
08-21-2011, 07:09 PM
:LOLFC:

MPF
08-21-2011, 07:25 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/Gregolian/Funny/GTFO.gif

makethemsuffer12
08-21-2011, 07:32 PM
http://img.ffffound.com/static-data/assets/6/2c654eaa043f052f1867dc9ea5fb14744399776c_m.jpg

Right? RIGHT?

jd091
08-21-2011, 07:55 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c179/Gregolian/Funny/GTFO.gif

:lol: That's the best gif I've seen in weeks. :party:

Oh, and:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpx5wrZmEl1qa7m3z.gif

Thought I'd have a little bit of fun since It's been a lot of fucking work making this list. ;)

Will post the real #1 in seconds.

AnataFan4Life
08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I knew it was a troll post when I saw the part about Nile, Obituary, and Deicide having breakdowns :tongue:

jd091
08-21-2011, 08:07 PM
1.) WORMWOOD

http://prostheticrecords.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/wormwood-ingrooves-300x300.jpg

Okay, 100% serious time now, people. Wormwood is the best deathcore record, ever. No if, and, or, buts about it. It is the best. It is perfect. I love it. You should love it. You should be asking to have this shit played as you walk up the aisle getting married, it’s that fucking good.

“We all come from broken homes/broken hearts and broken bones/we will live and die alone” kick off the first, absolutely crushing first riff of “Beast”. And it sets the theme for the album: pure fucking pessimism. This isn’t happy music, or deep music, or contemplative music, or positive music. Like my second favorite Acacia record before it, “The Dead Walk”, Acacia gives another absolutely bleak message about their views on the world and humanity, which transfer directly into the songwriting. They are, without a doubt, the angriest band I know of. And that is the essence of deathcore. That is deathcore perfection. It combines the best aspects of death metal and hardcore to create the one of the angriest subgenres out there (Vegantopher will probably call me out and say powerviolence is… and he’s probably right in all actuality :lol:). But back on topic: this record does "deathcore" better than any deathcore record I can think of.

This album literally has no bad songs. None. I don’t know where to start, trying to give a couple tracks that stick out the most. They’re all amazing in their own rights. Above all, they are catchy. I love being able to hear a song in an album listen, then while I’m doing something else later, the melody or verse will pop up in my head. The breakdowns are also fucking PERFECTION on this album. This is how you write heavy breakdowns in deathcore. They never get overly slow or obnoxious, like Whitechapel, and they don’t take precedence over the song to try and stand out, and therefore becoming incredibly generic, like Emmure. They are, for the most part, in tempo, and always complement the music/verse/chorus, rather than taking it over.

“Beast” starts it off, and is basically just a pure, 2-minute heavy-fest. “The Hills Have Eyes”, the second song, is one of my favorites, and combines everything I love about this album the most. Catchy and angry lyrics, heavy-as-Ununoctium breakdown and chorus, and an ending that makes me bang my head like a madman, it’s pure deathcore perfection. “Jonestown” is another amazing song, tackling the rather disturbing topic of the eponymous famous mass-suicide from the 1970’s. Again, what it has going for it (other than the smart songwriting), is that it’s catchy as hell. It eventually builds up into an epic breakdown/everyone-scream-together chorus. “Bay of Pigs” is a near-perfect 5 minute heavy-fest. I still absolutely love how heavy it gets at 2:30, yelling out in a haunting build up, “Just because you’re breathing doesn’t mean you’re alive/just because you’re human doesn’t mean you have to die”. 3:15 then culminates into a riff so unbelievably epic that I always make a fool of myself headbanging every time I hear it. “The Impaler” probably has one of the best opening riffs ever to it, screaming out a verse over it that is so sing-alongable that I can’t even put it into words. It then goes into one of the most violent-sounding chorus riffs I’ve ever heard, and I don’t mind one bit that it’s repeated over and over. “Ramirez” is another epic, 2:30 slugfest that gets caught in my head every time. And its incredible live. "Tactical Nuke" finishes it off, a somewhat controversial 5:30 instrumental song. It took me a little while to appreciate it, but I absolutely love it now. It's basically one incredibly simple, yet heavy breakdown, and every couple measures its slowed down by a couple BPM, until it reaches the point where it feels as if every fiber of planet earth itself is shutting down. I commend them for having the balls to put something like that in the album; it really wraps up every heavy element in the album perfectly.

There are just way, WAAAY to many epic scream-along parts in this album that I need to list a couple. I love it with every fiber of my –core loving self.

WE DESTROY THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND/WE ARE THE REASON THERE IS BLOOD ON THE GROUND

I AM THE WHITE HORSE DEATH RODE IN ON/I DROVE THE FIRST NAIL INTO THE CROSS/WE ARE ALL THE ANTICHRIST

HAIL MARY, THE VIRGIN WHORE/I CAN’T FUCKING TAKE THIS ANY MORE/HAIL MARY WITH THE BROKEN FACE/YOU NAME THE TIME I’LL NAME THE PLACE

I AM THE ONE WHO WILL BRING HELL UPON YOU ALL
I’LL STAND AT THE GATES AND WATCH YOUR KINGDOM FALL
ASHES TO ASHES, AND DUST INTO DUST
THIS WORLD IS A GRAVEYARD
:finger: I DON’T GIVE A FUCK :finger:

Notable Tracks:
Jonestown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvXxLPiDL0Y)
Bay of Pigs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Sgo21SBbc&playnext=1&list=PL43FFAD945C43DA63)
Ramirez (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcPtaZ1KtZU)
The Impaler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vH0mleDWwM)

P.S. Discussion: COMMENCE! What do you guys think of this album? Do you agree that this is the best deathcore record, ever? Did I leave anything out that you would have included? Do you want me drawn and quartered and my stinking parts fed to the crows? Or have I converted you to be a deathcore moshbro??? Will you slam to Oceano at next Summer Slaughter?!

makethemsuffer12
08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Hmm, I've never been a fan of these guys and what they stand for, but the stuff on here sounds better than the stuff I've heard before.

slapguitarer
08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
If you ask me, Alliegance by As Blood Runs Black is the best Deathcore record out there. That one stuck with me for a while. There's some cool melodic stuff and impressive drum work, but the breakdowns make it gay.

mankvill
08-21-2011, 08:19 PM
thank god this thread is over

*closes it down*

DementedX14
08-21-2011, 08:24 PM
If you ask me, Alliegance by As Blood Runs Black is the best Deathcore record out there. That one stuck with me for a while. There's some cool melodic stuff and impressive drum work, but the breakdowns make it gay.

I agree, but the breakdowns are what make it great as well. This list is ok but it is also missing Despised Icon, Job for a Cowboy, and Animosity.

jd091
08-21-2011, 08:24 PM
thank god this thread is over

*closes it down*

You would never! :hug:

Probably one of the most generic, forgettable deathcore releases in my opinion. Same with the Doom EP by JFAC; hence the reasons I didn't include it. The kids had the chops back then to write good deathcore, but they didn't have the songwriting talent to pull it all together. JFAC fixed that promptly, but went down the death metal path. They're really solid nowadays, and I love Ruination a ton, but it's simply not deathcore anymore.

Think in the next week or so, I'll post some albums that were contenders on this list, and what I think of them. If anyone is interested.

treghet
08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
P.S. Discussion: COMMENCE! What do you guys think of this album?

I actually enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure if I like it more than The Dead Walk though.

Do you agree that this is the best deathcore record, ever?

No.

Did I leave anything out that you would have included?

Animosity - Animal
Despised Icon - The Healing Process
Molotov Solution - Molotov Solution
The Red Shore - Unconsecrated
Underneath the Gun - The Awakening

Will you slam to Oceano at next Summer Slaughter?!

I think you're more likely to do that. ;)

slapguitarer
08-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Probably one of the most generic, forgettable deathcore releases in my opinion. Same with the Doom EP by JFAC; hence the reasons I didn't include it. The kids had the chops back then to write good deathcore, but they didn't have the songwriting talent to pull it all together. JFAC fixed that promptly, but went down the death metal path. They're really solid nowadays, and I love Ruination a ton, but it's simply not deathcore anymore.

That's kind of funny, because Alliegance and Doom are the only two Deathcore realeases I like. I think I like Doom so much because it's cool tech-Deathcore with all the noise and nonsense of the genre, but without the all that one-note, chugga breakdown shit.

Nick_to_the_face
08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Very surprised. In all honesty, I haven't more than a 4 songs off of this record, even though I'm a big Acacia Strain fan. It just really haven't thought about downloading this album. Overall, not some bad choices.

I really wish the Doom EP was included :bouville:
I also think you missed some other good albums. Allegiance was already mentioned. Even though you don't like ABRB :hmm:

Nick_to_the_face
08-21-2011, 10:08 PM
That's kind of funny, because Alliegance and Doom are the only two Deathcore realeases I like. I think I like Doom so much because it's cool tech-Deathcore with all the noise and nonsense of the genre, but without the all that one-note, chugga breakdown shit.

Two of my favorite deathcore releases :bliss:

treghet
08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm surprised about the love for As Blood Runs Black. I always thought that album sucked, even when I was into really into deathcore.

xStructualDefect
08-22-2011, 01:07 AM
I love As Blood Runs Black but a lot of their breakdowns on Allegiance are pretty generic and repetitive. In Dying Days is a great song but the breakdown before he chants "in darkness" is a pretty lame and generic breakdown. Instinct is a much better album in my opinion. The breakdowns are still generic but they're fun and aren't slow like they were on Allegiance. A lot of them are good to jump around for when seeing them live.

As for Acacia Strain I was never able to get into them. When I saw them with Whitechapel they were pretty impressive but they were honestly a bit boring and repetitive at Warped Tour.

mastodon421
08-22-2011, 04:03 AM
As Blood Runs Black sucks imo. Alleigance is pretty dull, I never really liked that album outside of parts of "In Dying Days".

Not a bad list jd (I can't fucking stand the first two records on that list), Wormwood is a very good record and a respectable number 1.

jd091
08-22-2011, 04:37 AM
As Blood Runs Black sucks imo. Alleigance is pretty dull, I never really liked that album outside of parts of "In Dying Days".

Not a bad list jd (I can't fucking stand the first two records on that list), Wormwood is a very good record and a respectable number 1.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, and hopefully you learned a thing or two and found a new song that you like. I'm just tryin' to spread some love around.

To me, ABRB is the epitome of "I-just-learned-how-to-play-an-At-The-Gates-riff" meets "I-wanna-play-breakdowns-like-Killswitch-Engage", an it forms this generic deathcore sound. Not that it's bad; I actually enjoyed it a lot live. It just doesn't pique my interest very long. I'll need to give Allegiance another spin soon for a second opinion; it's been a while since I've heard it.

"Doom" was in a very similar boat for me. I mean, who doesn't love the first 30 seconds of Knee Deep or Entombment of a Machine? The thing is, after those 30 seconds, those songs become incredibly boring, losing their catchiness. The album has it's moments, but none of the songs come together to form a cohesive, enjoyable whole. I think I'll write a second opinion article on it soon, so you can hear me out for my reasons.

llama lom
08-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Great list man! I'll be sure to give these albums a listen!

jd091
08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Great list man! I'll be sure to give these albums a listen!

Thanks! :fist:

masterguy49
08-22-2011, 06:52 PM
JD I hope you know....

YOU ARE NOT A HERO

Anyways do I win something for guessing the #1 right :3

jd091
08-22-2011, 07:01 PM
JD I hope you know....

YOU ARE NOT A HERO

Anyways do I win something for guessing the #1 right :3

Yes. You do win something.

http://birthdaybirthdaycake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/portal-cake.jpg

hellawaits77ny
08-22-2011, 08:25 PM
J-Dizzle, you had me puzzled w/ you fake #1

But dude, your top 3 picks are the shizzle. Pretty bummed The Acacia Strain and Terror are only playing close to me once on their tour, and it's the same night as Decapitated. Was really looking forward to seeing them. Great picks man.

jd091
08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
But dude, your top 3 picks are the shizzle.

First time I've ever seen that word used on this site. :lol:

Honestly man, I'd pick Acacia/Terror over Decapitated any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, Decap is one of my absolute favorite death metal bands of all time- Terror and Acacia are just that good live in my opinion. I'm sure you'll have fun there, anyway. I mean, you get to witness the amazingness that is RINGS OF SATURN. What more could you ask for? ;)

Again, hopefully I'll be able to hit up the Acacia/Terror tour twice. The Chicago date is my last night at school before heading back for thanksgiving, so I might have, uh, "social" obligations to attend. If you get my drift. Which isn't too big of a deal if I miss it, since Reggie's would probably kick me out for trying to dive during "One With The Underdogs" anyway. But the Cleveland show on the 25th should be absolutely insane!

hellawaits77ny
08-22-2011, 08:56 PM
First time I've ever seen that word used on this site. :lol:

Honestly man, I'd pick Acacia/Terror over Decapitated any day of the week. Don't get me wrong, Decap is one of my absolute favorite death metal bands of all time- Terror and Acacia are just that good live in my opinion. I'm sure you'll have fun there, anyway. I mean, you get to witness the amazingness that is RINGS OF SATURN. What more could you ask for? ;)

Again, hopefully I'll be able to hit up the Acacia/Terror tour twice. The Chicago date is my last night at school before heading back for thanksgiving, so I might have, uh, "social" obligations to attend. If you get my drift. Which isn't too big of a deal if I miss it, since Reggie's would probably kick me out for trying to dive during "One With The Underdogs" anyway. But the Cleveland show on the 25th should be absolutely insane!

I would definately choose Terror + TAS over Decapitated as well, given normal circumstances. The thing is, the venue where they're playing is horrendous, and security are pricks. Also, I have to work that night, and unless I get a swap, it won't work. I could still hit the Decapitated show and only need an hour of work covered.

I may hit the Syracuse date in November. Long trip, but it may be worth it.

masterguy49
08-23-2011, 02:59 AM
Yes. You do win something.

http://birthdaybirthdaycake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/portal-cake.jpg

THE CAKE IS A LIE

Addicted2metal
08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
After reading your review on The Acacia Strain "Wormwood" I decided to check it out. I'm 3 songs in and its pretty cool so far. and I didn't care for their last CD

Addicted2metal
08-23-2011, 11:52 AM
also I hate it when bands have stupid random names for songs it is another reason why I didn't check it out sooner.

jd091
08-23-2011, 12:53 PM
After reading your review on The Acacia Strain "Wormwood" I decided to check it out. I'm 3 songs in and its pretty cool so far. and I didn't care for their last CD

Yeeeeah! :fist:

I agree on the random song name thing; it can be annoying. At least the songs have half-decent names on Wormwood, better than their past releases.

Nick_to_the_face
08-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeeeeah! :fist:

I agree on the random song name thing; it can be annoying. At least the songs have half-decent names on Wormwood, better than their past releases.

SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY

jd091
08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
SEE YOU NEXT TUESDAY

...you know what that means, right?

AnataFan4Life
08-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Weren't you gonna do another list too?

jd091
08-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Weren't you gonna do another list too?

Was I? I'd like to somewhere down the road review some deathcore albums that I like that didn't make this list. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. When I feel like it. It's kind of tiring writing all these reviews; you'd know just as well as me.

I think somewhere down the road I'd like to do a "best of" modern metalcore albums. Like, KSE, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, Trivium, etc.

AnataFan4Life
08-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Was I? I'd like to somewhere down the road review some deathcore albums that I like that didn't make this list. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow. When I feel like it. It's kind of tiring writing all these reviews; you'd know just as well as me.

I think somewhere down the road I'd like to do a "best of" modern metalcore albums. Like, KSE, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, Trivium, etc.

Yeah, i'm trying to pace mine out by doing one per day, so they won't sound forced.

makethemsuffer12
08-25-2011, 04:41 PM

If such a list happens and Alive or Just Breathing isn't #1, I reckon we're gonna have sum trouble. :allan:

AnataFan4Life
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I had thought of maybe doing a brutal death metal or a progressive death metal list, but those would have too much crossover with the technical death metal list. Manks already did a melodic death metal list, so that's also out.

llama lom
08-25-2011, 05:54 PM
I had thought of maybe doing a brutal death metal or a progressive death metal list, but those would have too much crossover with the technical death metal list. Manks already did a melodic death metal list, so that's also out.

Slam death?
:D

AnataFan4Life
08-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Slam death?

:tp:

llama lom
08-25-2011, 05:56 PM
:tp:

:bouville:

AnataFan4Life
08-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I may do another tech-death list that involves albums that came out before 2000 at some point.

jd091
08-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Slam death?

Devourment, Devourment... and Devourment. :D

treghet
08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Devourment, Devourment... and Devourment. :D

Believe it or not there are some other good ones. ;)

llama lom
08-25-2011, 07:08 PM
I'd do it, but barely anyone paid attention to my other thread. :eyes:

treghet
08-25-2011, 07:10 PM
At this point there's just too many going at once, so most users probably only follow the one that interests them most.

AnataFan4Life
08-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I don't hate slam, but i couldn't make a list off it.

hellawaits77ny
08-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't hate slam, but i couldn't make a list off it.

Can someone please tell what exactly "slam" metal is? I know it's a form of deathcore, and that Waking The Cadaver is considered slam, but that's all I know. WTC sounds like regular deathcore to me.

LAXdef16
08-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Late, but seeing Wormwood at number 1 just made me want to go listen to it on full blast! I can't wait to see them again with Terror :rocker:

treghet
08-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Can someone please tell what exactly "slam" metal is? I know it's a form of deathcore, and that Waking The Cadaver is considered slam, but that's all I know. WTC sounds like regular deathcore to me.

It's not a form of deathcore, and Waking the Cadaver is just a deathcore band, although they probably take a considerable amount of influence from slam death bands. "Slam" is basically brutal death metal with breakdowns. The breakdowns are not a single note repeated (as most deathcore breakdowns are), but are a tad more intricate. Like this: http://youtu.be/LIQzgAg8OzI?t=1m57s

llama lom
08-25-2011, 07:41 PM

It's brutal death with some breakdowns and pseudo-breakdowns, which people call "slams", and the typical burped vocals. I'm still a bit hazy on the distinction myself but I love it!

WTC I'm not sure about but I've heard them referred to as deathcore more than slam.

hellawaits77ny
08-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the info, dudes. Sounds like a sub-genre I could deal with. I agree, I always thought Waking The Cadaver sounded like straight deathcore, so I didn't quite get why I've heard/seen some people call them slam.

Nick_to_the_face
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
...you know what that means, right?

Actually...I really don't.

But as another example.

WHY IS A RAVEN LIKE A WRITING DESK?
yes I know where it's from

LAXdef16
08-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Actually...I really don't.

But as another example.

WHY IS A RAVEN LIKE A WRITING DESK?
yes I know where it's from
See You Next Tuesday means "Cunt" haha! I had to Google it.

C U Next Tuesday

Nick_to_the_face
08-25-2011, 09:28 PM

C U Next Tuesday

Ahhhh, nice :lol:

GarageMetal468
08-26-2011, 05:26 AM

C U Next Tuesday

har har how witty of them

jd091
08-26-2011, 05:35 AM
har har how witty of them

;)

It's not a form of deathcore, and Waking the Cadaver is just a deathcore band, although they probably take a considerable amount of influence from slam death bands. "Slam" is basically brutal death metal with breakdowns. The breakdowns are not a single note repeated (as most deathcore breakdowns are), but are a tad more intricate. Like this: http://youtu.be/LIQzgAg8OzI?t=1m57s

Exactly. The breakdowns are usually done on a chromatic scale up or down, rather than single note, like 3-2-1-3-2-1, etc (if that was a tab of the low string), and burped vocals. Much more brootal!

Here is a HIL-ARIOUS article Sergeant D wrote about the differences o the two genres:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/04/deathcore-vs-slam-metal-how-2-tell-them-apart/

llama lom
08-26-2011, 06:44 AM
;)

Exactly. The breakdowns are usually done on a chromatic scale up or down, rather than single note, like 3-2-1-3-2-1, etc (if that was a tab of the low string), and burped vocals. Much more brootal!

Here is a HIL-ARIOUS article Sergeant D wrote about the differences o the two genres:
http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/04/04/deathcore-vs-slam-metal-how-2-tell-them-apart/

Hilarious and true! :lol:

jd091
10-09-2011, 06:28 PM
OH HEY GUISE

I forgot about this thread. How many people here want me to post some more "runner-up" albums, or "odd suggestions for metalheads"? I definitely got some in the hole I could pull out for y'all. ;)

larvtard
10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
I definitely got some in the hole I could pull out for y'all. ;)

hehehe

hellawaits77ny
10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
OH HEY GUISE

I forgot about this thread. How many people here want me to post some more "runner-up" albums, or "odd suggestions for metalheads"? I definitely got some in the hole I could pull out for y'all. ;)

Do it up

kalfitegrdan
02-14-2012, 12:51 AM
I just stumbled upon this and I think that I love you.

hellawaits77ny
02-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Gotta respect this thread. A top 10 list that has 33 pages o' arguements!

VoidFlame
02-14-2012, 05:30 AM
What about The Healing Process by Despised Icon and Animal by Animosity? Those are probably the two best deathcore albums ever, with The Red Chord...

Natrlhi
02-14-2012, 06:05 AM
I definitely got some in the hole I could pull out for y'all. ;)Please don't pull anything out of your hole. Thank you. :hmm:

MetalIsArt
02-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Somebody LIKES deathcore?

http://i42.tinypic.com/i6e2xv.jpg

Natrlhi
02-14-2012, 06:30 AM

http://i42.tinypic.com/i6e2xv.jpgYeah, JD. Where have you been? :lol:

The problem is, he's a pretty nice guy and likes some other very awesome music, so it's hard for me to just completely dismiss him and ridicule his every word, treating him like the ninny that he's so dangerously close to being.

So I just make fun of him selectively instead. :D

MetalIsArt
02-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Yeah, JD. Where have you been? :lol:

The problem is, he's a pretty nice guy and likes some other very awesome music, so it's hard for me to just completely dismiss him and ridicule his every word, treating him like the ninny that he's so dangerously close to being.

So I just make fun of him selecetively instead. :D

Well, I never really look for postings/threads about DEATHCORE. It's a matter of dignity :lol: ;)

treghet
02-14-2012, 12:26 PM
What about The Healing Process by Despised Icon and Animal by Animosity? Those are probably the two best deathcore albums ever, with The Red Chord...

Agreed. And I already covered that some pages back. :D

jd091
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I just stumbled upon this and I think that I love you.
:lovedup:
Honestly, I never truly got into Despised Icon. I don't think it's bad by any means, and would probably be in my top 20 if I made that, but I could never honestly say it clicked with me and I loved it. And call Animosity Deathcore all you want, but Animal was never that really deathcore-y in my opinion. It isn't what I enjoyed from the genre; more just like a groovy tech-metal album. I know what everyone else says. And to be honest, they were never really catchy, and I never truly enjoyed them. Way to much wankery on the instruments without much substance, which tends to turn me waaaaay off.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv00ii2Lxk1qdlh1io1_400.gif

http://i42.tinypic.com/i6e2xv.jpg
:lol: Where have you been, bro? Believe it or not, people like me exist. ;)

Yeah, JD. Where have you been? :lol:

So I just make fun of him selecetively instead. :D

:lol: Yeah, I think I realize that deathcore is simple and infantile composition-wise and image-wise compared to other music or metal, so in the end of the day I've learned to not give a fuck about opinions or stereotypes and just enjoy the music that I inherently like. It's not something I have control over, so I just embrace it. ;)

jd091
02-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Okay, I'm giving Despised Icon another shot since I haven't listened to them in years. Much better than I remembered. I love how a lot of the breakdowns are more slam-metal influenced. Still, I dunno if I feel so qualified to make a modification to my list due to my love of those others.

kalfitegrdan
02-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Seriously though, it is refreshing to see another person who has the same take on deathcore as I do. I remember getting into deathcore back in like 2007 and being completely oblivious of the "scene" aspect of it and just digging the music. Nice choice in albums too. I would put four of them in my top ten of the genre. The only album here that I've never heard all the way through is The Dead Walk and the only one that I don't particularly like is Exoplanet, although I gave the song "Flourish" another listen yesterday and liked it ten times better than the first time I listened to it thanks to you kind of putting the clean parts in perspective for me.

The only qualms that I have with your list are that No Time To Bleed is above The Cleansing and that The Somatic Defilement isn't number one.:hmm:

VoidFlame
02-15-2012, 04:40 AM
Okay, I'm giving Despised Icon another shot since I haven't listened to them in years. Much better than I remembered. I love how a lot of the breakdowns are more slam-metal influenced. Still, I dunno if I feel so qualified to make a modification to my list due to my love of those others.

Cool. This album by Despised Icon always was for me what deathcore should have been: a mix between brutal death metal and hardcore.

VoidFlame
02-15-2012, 04:42 AM

Oops :lol: I was too lazy to read the whole 30 pages.

jd091
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Seriously though, it is refreshing to see another person who has the same take on deathcore as I do. I remember getting into deathcore back in like 2007 and being completely oblivious of the "scene" aspect of it and just digging the music. Nice choice in albums too. I would put four of them in my top ten of the genre. The only album here that I've never heard all the way through is The Dead Walk and the only one that I don't particularly like is Exoplanet, although I gave the song "Flourish" another listen yesterday and liked it ten times better than the first time I listened to it thanks to you kind of putting the clean parts in perspective for me.

The only qualms that I have with your list are that No Time To Bleed is above The Cleansing and that The Somatic Defilement isn't number one.:hmm:

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, I had a ton of fun making this list. Glad to see that love for The Somatic Defilement. :shred:

hellawaits77ny
02-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Cool. This album by Despised Icon always was for me what deathcore should have been: a mix between brutal death metal and hardcore.

Definately! I also loved how they were pretty talented musicians, and were complex than most DUNDUNDUNNNNN talent-less deathcore that is so popular.