PDA

View Full Version : Toxic Holocaust -- Panama City, FL -- August 8th, 2011

justinm4bama
08-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Toxic Holocaust and Holy Grail are both bands I've seen before on seperate tours so I knew exactly what to expect before we left. My two friends and I left for a 2 1/2 hour drive to Panama City Beach, and my two friends didn't know what was coming. During the drive we had to stop about half way to fix a flat tire so driving on a spare tire we could only do about 55 MPH which about drove me crazy. We finally get to the venue about 1 1/2 hours after doors opened and a local band called Lost in the Sauce just started. They weren't that good (as for most local bands), and turns out Krum Bums (the opener on the tour) wasn't going to be able to make it that night.

After the local band played I had four (the four original) members of Holy Grail sign my Crisis in Utopia album cover while they set up. I asked Eli and Tyler to do "Fast as a Shark (Accept Cover)", but turned out they didn't have enough time in the end. But when Holy Grail started there were maybe ten people inside the venue. Everybody else was outside smoking and drinking in between bands, but the moment they played the first note, you would've thought they were playing in front of a thousand. They didn't care who was in front of them and before long everybody came in, and the first three rows you saw nothing but hair flying around from all the headbanging. I was front row (as usual), and head banged so hard that I'm still nursing my neck with Icyhot haha.

Holy Grail's set:

Immortal Man
Call of Valhalla :rocker:
Chase the Wind :rocker:
For All Eternity
Hollow Ground
Crisis in Utopia
Requiem
The Blackest Night
My Last Attack :rocker:
Fight to Kill :rocker:

As for Toxic Holocaust, great band and have always liked them, but Holy Grail just stole the show with how much energy they had. Toxic Holocaust did have a pretty big pit though, and both the bands interacted with the crowd a decent amount. Had all three members of Toxic Holocaust sign my Conjure and Command album, and right above where Joel signed he wrote "Keep metal evil!" which I thought was pretty cool. Both the bands are super nice so feel free to approach them and talk to them if you catch them on tour. Joel just came up with songs off top his head while they played so there wasn't an actual set list.

Toxic Holocaust's set:

Wild Dogs :rocker:
Reaper's Grave
Death from Above
Bitch :rocker:
I Am Disease
War Is Hell
Metal Attack
Sound the Charge
Endless Armageddon
The Lord of the Wasteland
Nuke the Cross :rocker:

larvtard
08-09-2011, 12:37 PM
awww man I wish they were playing "Red Winter." and wouldn't it make more sense for you to go the ATL show? (you're the one on the rail with coltong, right?)

justinm4bama
08-09-2011, 12:45 PM
awww man I wish they were playing "Red Winter." and wouldn't it make more sense for you to go the ATL show? (you're the one on the rail with coltong, right?)

Yeah, it would've made more sense to go to the Atlanta show, but that's the same day as Mayhem Festival and I HAD to do both haha.

larvtard
08-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah, it would've made more sense to go to the Atlanta show, but that's the same day as Mayhem Festival and I HAD to do both haha.

oh gotcha. Well, you can hit up the TH show afterwards if you really want, I'm sure. That's what NickLed19's doing (and he's coming all the way from Nashville!!!!:eek::D)

christopher
08-09-2011, 01:07 PM
That's a very typical set for TH with the addition of 3 new songs, which we all knew would happen. That sucks they are playing I am Disease. They need more off of Hell on Earth. I'll probably skip this show.

jhdeity
08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Would love to hear a Stalker/Warfare type encore.

Northern_Shaman
08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Would have loved to catch this tour, but their only BC date is way up north where nobody lives. Interesting choice of city to play in... Wonder what the turnout will be like.

coltongsmith
08-09-2011, 08:03 PM

im doing the same thing but going to the charlotte show the day after on the 13th. cant miss this show

hvymtlmom
08-09-2011, 08:20 PM
nice review! I'm looking forward to seeing them in Orlando even more now but too bad there's no In The Name Of Science or Agony Of The Damned on TH's set

tenchimyo
08-10-2011, 04:55 AM
That sounds like a great show. I am considering rethinking going to see rhinobucket with my buddy instead of this lineup next week

justinm4bama
08-11-2011, 12:43 PM
That sounds like a great show. I am considering rethinking going to see rhinobucket with my buddy instead of this lineup next week

Yeah, you should really think about going specially if haven't seen them before! :)

christopher
08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
They're really cool live if you haven't seen them before, but I saw them about a dozen times over a 2 year period and I'm just burnt out on seeing them. They play the same set over and over and always promise me songs off of Hell on Earth but I never get them. I was hoping for a nice change up with the new record being out, but its the same songs with 3 of the new ones.

justinm4bama
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
They're really cool live if you haven't seen them before, but I saw them about a dozen times over a 2 year period and I'm just burnt out on seeing them. They play the same set over and over and always promise me songs off of Hell on Earth but I never get them. I was hoping for a nice change up with the new record being out, but its the same songs with 3 of the new ones.

I know what you mean by that. As long as they don't turn into a Metallica then they're OK in my book though. Just thankful we're actually getting good thrash bands for club level shows.

christopher
08-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I know what you mean by that. As long as they don't turn into a Metallica then they're OK in my book though. Just thankful we're actually getting good thrash bands for club level shows.

What do you mean "turn into a Metallica"? Do you mean get on the same level as Metallica where they are playing giant venues? Cause that won't happen anytime soon. They've been around for 12 years or so and are still playing tiny ass places. I would like them to be like Metallica in that they chang the set up from night to night and actually throw something sweet my way each time I see them.

justinm4bama
08-14-2011, 08:13 PM
What do you mean "turn into a Metallica"? Do you mean get on the same level as Metallica where they are playing giant venues? Cause that won't happen anytime soon. They've been around for 12 years or so and are still playing tiny ass places. I would like them to be like Metallica in that they chang the set up from night to night and actually throw something sweet my way each time I see them.

No, I meant like sell out like they did. Which hopefully nothing like that will ever happen. Joel seems to be pretty happy with what he does. And another thing is that he just comes up with songs off top of his head when they're playing live so you would think he would throw a good rare one requested by his fans every now and then. :confused:

christopher
08-14-2011, 11:46 PM
No, I meant like sell out like they did. Which hopefully nothing like that will ever happen. Joel seems to be pretty happy with what he does. And another thing is that he just comes up with songs off top of his head when they're playing live so you would think he would throw a good rare one requested by his fans every now and then. :confused:

He doesn't just come up with random ass songs off the top of his head to play. They have a list of 15 songs or so they will play over and over each night and he just says what he wants at the moment. The set may vary from night to night, but its basically the same shit over and over.

Wizzbang11
08-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Topher is very correct. Since 2008 Ive seen them play the same thing every show, all they did was add a few new songs. The first few times I saw him he actually DID bust out some stuff like Atomik Destruktor and Hell on Earth, but has since backed off of those. They know all those songs as best as you can Im sure (although Joel still doesn't do some of the solos live), and I doubt they could do unrehearsed ones sadly since even though the other musicians got credits on the new album, they weren't in the band prior to this and I doubt they'd have any idea how to play them. I love TH and the new album is excellent but I've seen the same songs so much that I don't feel like the 2 hour endeavor it would take for me to see them anywhere, at least until they mix up the set.