PDA

View Full Version : New Anthrax single "The Devil You Know"

the deathmetaler
08-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Here it is....The new Anthrax single, "The Devil You Know":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKIYBBVDurA

DethMaiden
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Just like Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't, this is just standard Anthrax music, and indeed, also like that song, I've missed new Anthrax music so much that I love it.

metallicbrian666
08-07-2011, 05:53 PM
You can tell it was written with Bush in mind. It's not a bad song, but it sounds like Joey singing Bush era songs.

MPF
08-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Not bad. I'm liking Belladonna's voice now then I did on the early albums (GO AHEAD, SHOOT ME!)

It sounds like a standard Metal single, but not bad. I'll still buy the album when it comes out.

the deathmetaler
08-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't know. I miss the old 80's Anthrax. In my opinion, the new Anthrax sounds pretty generic to me. The new tunes aren't bad. I just miss the old mosh riffs and the intensity of their music all together.

llama lom
08-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm sure there will be a fair share of classic thrash songs, but they're probably releasing these now to appease to people who may not have listened to Anthrax before. Personally, I think it sounds awesome. :rocker:

the deathmetaler
08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm sure there will be a fair share of classic thrash songs, but they're probably releasing these now to appease to people who may not have listened to Anthrax before. Personally, I think it sounds awesome. :rocker:

Could be very true. We'll just have to wait and see when it's released. By the way, Joey still sounds amazing!

makethemsuffer12
08-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Loving this song. "Fight 'Em" was kind of a mix of old-school and modern, but this one has a modern feel for sure. It's just great hearing Belladonna singing on the new stuff.

300%_Density
08-07-2011, 06:49 PM
This was a bit more radio sounding than what I would have hoped for but at the same time it's still not a bad tune either. After Fight Em it would have been tough to top that for me but this is still a good song. And I'll no doubt be buying new album as well.

IrritatedTrout
08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Pretty good although not as good as Fight 'Em.

BloodoftheKings
08-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I like it, not as much as Fight em' though. I'm sure this album will be good. Metallicbrian had a good point, Joey sounds good on this song but it was definitely written for John Bush or Dan Nelson. I can easily picture John Bush singing this one.

SomewhereInTime72
08-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I really liked it. I haven't heard something new from Thrax in a long time and it just sounded pretty awesome from that perspective. I was expecting disappointment too, after all the crazy business from these guys the past several years and a 8 year album hiatus. Pleased to hear it sounds good to me.

El Gordo
08-07-2011, 09:06 PM
I don't hate it, but I don't love it. It's definitely Anthrax, but it's not anywhere near the old stuff. Although, I guess if I compare how good the rest of the Big 4 are, Anthrax sound the best in comparison to their 'classic' material.

ravenheart
08-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't know. I miss the old 80's Anthrax. In my opinion, the new Anthrax sounds pretty generic to me. The new tunes aren't bad. I just miss the old mosh riffs and the intensity of their music all together.

Come on. Anthrax have sounded generic since day one.

Christen
08-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to the new album.

Maidenmagic
08-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Has the same problem with Fight em (in my opinion): A weak chorus.

makethemsuffer12
08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Come on. Anthrax have sounded generic since day one.

You're a funny guy.

Natrlhi
08-08-2011, 08:58 AM
You're a funny guy.Nah, he's kinda right. I've often thought that it's only because we had so few choices back then with regards to thrash, that Anthrax kinda just coasted along on other bands' coat tails.

That said, I've always kinda liked them, but that just it. Kinda. As opposed to "definitely", or "really".

I mean, I own a few of their albums, but again - just a few.

There's so many more choices today, that Anthrax just doesn't seem to make the cut anymore. Just sayin'.

makethemsuffer12
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't find them generic in the least. I mean, all thrash has similar elements, but tell me who else was singing like Joey in a band like that? I think Scott has a pretty unique style of riffing, too.

BloodoftheKings
08-08-2011, 09:24 AM
I don't find them generic in the least. I mean, all thrash has similar elements, but tell me who else was singing like Joey in a band like that? I think Scott has a pretty unique style of riffing, too.

This.

mastodon421
08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I dig it. Just as good as Fight Em' imo.

DethMaiden
08-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Yep. And Anthrax is far more groove-oriented than any other thrash band. Generic isn't the right word. If you think they're lousy, whatever, but generic they aren't.

makethemsuffer12
08-08-2011, 09:49 AM
If anything they broke the boundaries of thrash. To call them generic would be absurd.

El Gordo
08-08-2011, 04:32 PM
If anything they broke the boundaries of thrash. To call them generic would be absurd.

What boundaries other than the rap-metal thing did they break?

BloodoftheKings
08-08-2011, 04:36 PM
What boundaries other than the rap-metal thing did they break?

They were the first and still one of the only thrash bands to have a vocalist who really sings. What other thrash bands at the time were doing songs like The Enemy?

El Gordo
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
They were the first and still one of the only thrash bands to have a vocalist who really sings. What other thrash bands at the time were doing songs like The Enemy?

I see your point. But it's not like they were the first heavy band to feature clean vocals though, so I can't really call that breaking boundaries. They were only as different from the rest of the Big Four as the rest of the Big Four were from each other. Thrash was in such a fledgling stage that there weren't really any boundaries yet.

dcmetal108
08-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Good song. Really radio sounding but still really enjoyable. Joey sounds alot different and its throwing me off a little.

Maiden33
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I honestly love it, just liked I pretty much loved "Fight 'em...". Consider me thoroughly excited for this album.