PDA

View Full Version : The Official English Premier League Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

LAXdef16
08-07-2011, 10:32 AM
The season starts this week, and I have high expectations for Liverpool this season. Anyone else excited for the upcoming campaign?

ravenheart
08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Of course.

Season ticket arrived a couple of weeks ago. First game next Saturday.

Although our season is already six games old.

LAXdef16
08-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Yeah, I was referring to the EPL matches rather than the preseason/friendly matches. That's awesome that you have season tickets (I'm assuming to Liverpool)!

ravenheart
08-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Hell no. Having a season ticket to Liverpool when I live in London would be plain old madness :lol:

And I wasn't referring to friendlies either. Fulham have already played six games in the Europa League.

LAXdef16
08-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Now it makes sense!

LAXdef16
08-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Fixtures for this weekend
8/13
Blackburn v Wolves 15:00
Fulham v Aston Villa 15:00
Liverpool v Sunderland 15:00
QPR v Bolton 15:00
Tottenham v Everton 15:00
Wigan Athletic v Norwich City 15:00
Newcastle v Arsenal 17:30

8/14
Stoke City v Chelsea 13:30
WBA v Man Utd 16:00

ravenheart
08-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Fixtures for this weekend
8/13
Blackburn v Wolves 15:00
Fulham v Aston Villa 15:00
Liverpool v Sunderland 15:00
QPR v Bolton 15:00
Tottenham v Everton 15:00
Wigan Athletic v Norwich City 15:00
Newcastle v Arsenal 17:30

8/14
Stoke City v Chelsea 13:30
WBA v Man Utd 16:00

You forgot Man City v Swansea on the 15th.

The games at Fulham, QPR, Tottenhem, Liverpool and West Brom won't be confirmed until tomorrow due to the impact of the riots in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Can't wait for Sunday morning.:rocker:

I went to a Europa League match last season. Stuttgart vs Slovan Bratislava in Stuttgart. Went to two Bundesliga matches, too. It was awesome to see European soccer in person. Now I just need to save up my pennies for a trip to London.

ravenheart
08-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Tottenham v Everton is off.

As it stands all other games will go ahead. Further announcement from the FA expected this evening.

LAXdef16
08-11-2011, 11:06 AM
It looks like I'll have to fix my fantasy lineup then since I had Bale.

ravenheart
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
It looks like I'll have to fix my fantasy lineup then since I had Bale.

Which fantasy league are you doing?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Not a terrible result today. The Britannia is a tough place to play. We drew there last season and it took a late winner by Malouda there back in '09.

Not worried about ManUre winning today. De Gea will cost them points this season. Mark my words. Plus, Rio Ferdinand will be out for a while.

ravenheart
08-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Yeah, Stoke are a difficult team to beat, but a team looking to win trophies should be beating them. They're not technically a very good side, they're just big and strong. Not playing the strikers you have who can match them for physicality and height was the mistake there. Kalou and Torres aren't going to get anything out of that defence.

I'm less optimistic about the results across the board. That was a weekend of pretty shitty results for everyone except Wolves and Bolton.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Fulham, Wigan and Liverpool should all be winning those games. And Man U should be winning at West Brom more comfortably than scraping a one-goal win with an own goal.

LAXdef16
08-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Which fantasy league are you doing?

The one on the Premier League site. My friend made a league, but I probably won't keep up with it.

King Slender
08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Spurs are finishing up deals for Adebayor and Lass Diarra. About fucking time we upgrade our strikers. Looking forward to this weekend since the opener was postponed. COYS!

ravenheart
08-18-2011, 04:01 PM
The one on the Premier League site. My friend made a league, but I probably won't keep up with it.

Good stuff. I do that one every season.

Butcher of Birth
08-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Of course.

Season ticket arrived a couple of weeks ago. First game next Saturday.

What team do you support?

Butcher of Birth
08-20-2011, 06:40 PM

I have one of soccernet.com (ESPN). If you wanna join up our league is "Royal Palm Productions".

Below is my team.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/311810_10150345419693115_612163114_9638731_6700999 _n.jpg

LAXdef16
08-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Today
Norwich City 1-1 Stoke City
Wolves 2-0 Fulham

Sat 20th August 2011
Sunderland 0-1 Newcastle
Arsenal 0-2 Liverpool
Aston Villa 3-1 Blackburn
Everton 0-1 QPR
Swansea City 0-0 Wigan Athletic
Chelsea 2-1 WBA

Bolton and Man City still need to play today, and ManU vs Tottenham on Monday

LAXdef16
08-21-2011, 08:15 AM
I just looked at the rankings and Wolverhampton is on top :eek: I know it's still early... I was just shocked

Butcher of Birth
08-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Wolves are a much better side this year, and since promotion have proved themselves to be strong. I won't peg them for top ten just yet, but they will be in the fight for it.

Relegation, my picks, will be Swansea, Blackburn, and Norwich.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Stoke are a difficult team to beat, but a team looking to win trophies should be beating them. They're not technically a very good side, they're just big and strong. Not playing the strikers you have who can match them for physicality and height was the mistake there. Kalou and Torres aren't going to get anything out of that defence.

I'm less optimistic about the results across the board. That was a weekend of pretty shitty results for everyone except Wolves and Bolton.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Fulham, Wigan and Liverpool should all be winning those games. And Man U should be winning at West Brom more comfortably than scraping a one-goal win with an own goal.

I don't disagree, but Torres is going to be the first-choice striker whether anyone likes it or not. Roman has too much money invested in him for Nando to sit on the bench. Our midfield has been a problem since last season and we barely scraped by yesterday. Things are looking up, though. We picked up Juan Mata today and Sturridge will be back after saturday, so there's a huge boost at winger. Modric still might be coming. He's out of the ManU match tomorrow, so speculation is rampant. Kalou has been awful this season and looks like he'll be the odd man out.

The whole league is down. The lower teams are better at defending and scoring on the counter-attack. Even last season, ManU only won the league with 80 points. There's not as many gimme wins as in past seasons. Man City's better, Liverpool is much improved. ManU looks as powerful as always and I hope the new additions and youngsters breathe some new life into Chelsea. It's going to be a battle all season long. No more running away with the title.

Should be a fun ride.

Butcher of Birth
08-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Well with Juan Mata and STILL Modric, Chelsea's midfield for the next 5 years is looking strong. Having watching Mata in the U-21 Eurocup I am more than excited in his signing! He was a key man in assisting and scoring, and lord knows that's what we need for the elephant in the room that is Torres.

Concerning Modric, I am wary. Whilst he is superb on the ball and key to the Spurs (3-0 at Man Utd? come now.., :lol:), he is more prone to injury than a rough school boy. With age being the talking points of pundits these days at Chelsea, I can't see Modric doing much good if Lamps, Essien, Terry, Drogs, get injuried...

My, realistic, top 5.

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester United
3. Manchester City
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal

Man City will be hard to beat for the mid table and under teams, but against the experience and quality of Chelsea and United, they will break. And I rank United second due in part to their back-line suffering from such bad injuries, and De Gea not yet showing his ability to keep balls out comfortably.

When De Gea faces the likes of Drogba, Van Persie, Malouda, Carroll, Saruez, and others in the top tier, he will buckle.

ravenheart
08-26-2011, 05:50 AM
When De Gea faces the likes of Drogba, Van Persie, Malouda, Carroll, Saruez, and others in the top tier, he will buckle.

:lol:

So, we drew FC Twente, Odense BK and Krakow in the Europa League group stages.

Very annoyed that all six games are the week of a home game in the Premier League, so that's another six games moves to shit kick-off times on a Sunday :(

ravenheart
08-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Wolves are a much better side this year, and since promotion have proved themselves to be strong. I won't peg them for top ten just yet, but they will be in the fight for it.

Indeed. It's about time Wolves went back to playing the way they played when they first came up.

McCarthy can deny it all he wants, and he will, but it was plain for all to see. The season they came up they played good football and found themselves getting out-muscled by the big teams and ended up fighting against relegation.

McCarthy saw how teams like Bolton and Stoke had become stable in the Premier League by playing "tough" and decided to make his team play like that so they stood a better chance of survival. Only his players sucked at playing tough and just ended up being dirty.

They got so much grief for playing that way last year that he's got them back to playing properly. Which is why, lo and behold, Kevin Doyle, their best striker who kept getting left out last season because he wasn't tough enough and didn't play that way, is now starting every week again.

Butcher of Birth
08-26-2011, 08:24 AM
McCarthy saw how teams like Bolton and Stoke had become stable in the Premier League by playing "tough"...

And I feel this is the main problem Chelsea has against mid-table teams. They have the skill, speed, etc. but lack the physical side to confront these teams. Best example is this past weekend when Alex (6'3) was muscled off the ball by Shane Long (5'11). Alex is massive compared to Long, but Chelsea doesn't teach "rough" or "tough", we teach the beauty of the game, as Bolton will show you week in and week out, that's half the game.

ravenheart
08-26-2011, 12:12 PM
And I feel this is the main problem Chelsea has against mid-table teams. They have the skill, speed, etc. but lack the physical side to confront these teams. Best example is this past weekend when Alex (6'3) was muscled off the ball by Shane Long (5'11). Alex is massive compared to Long, but Chelsea doesn't teach "rough" or "tough", we teach the beauty of the game, as Bolton will show you week in and week out, that's half the game.

You can be big and still be a wuss though... look at Anelka ;)

ravenheart
08-27-2011, 05:06 AM
And after praising Wolves' return to playing proper football... they were shit against Villa today. Not that Villa were much better, and as the home team probably should have been the ones to press harder for goals.

LAXdef16
08-27-2011, 08:13 AM
I think that the Wolves can rebound after this week and get right back to playing at that high level.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Mata is the real deal and Lukaku looks quite promising. Looks like we're getting van der Wiel as well. Still not sure if Modric is coming, but I think we'll be ok if he doesn't. The 4-4-2 didn't work again today. Seems like Drogs and Torres just can't make it work. Five matches and no goals when they play together. I'd like to see 4-3-3 with Mata-Torres-Strurridge. Looks like Drogba will be out for a match or two. Should be ok with Lukaku and Sturridge, now that his 3 match ban is over.

Butcher of Birth
08-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Mata is the real deal and Lukaku looks quite promising. Looks like we're getting van der Wiel as well. Still not sure if Modric is coming, but I think we'll be ok if he doesn't. The 4-4-2 didn't work again today. Seems like Drogs and Torres just can't make it work. Five matches and no goals when they play together. I'd like to see 4-3-3 with Mata-Torres-Strurridge. Looks like Drogba will be out for a match or two. Should be ok with Lukaku and Sturridge, now that his 3 match ban is over.

With the way we played AFTER Mata came, Modric is not as needed as I thought. Just pushed Lamps left and Mata run the middle, easy easy easy!

And the Torres/Drogba 4-4-2 is possible, just look at the 20th minute. Torres slotted a ball with JUST too much pace and Drogs couldn't get on the end of it. Give them a few games together and it could work.

I would like to see a Midfield-Attack of this.

Obi (CDM)
Lampard (LM) Mata (CAM) Ramires (RM)
Malouda (LW) Torres (ST) Sturridge (RW)

Sub Essien with Obi, Sub Drogba for Torres, Anelka/Sturridge, and so on.

Butcher of Birth
08-27-2011, 09:44 AM
You can be big and still be a wuss though... look at Anelka ;)

:lol: Yeah, I know what you mean, but he is French... Can a man get a break?!

And after praising Wolves' return to playing proper football... they were shit against Villa today. Not that Villa were much better, and as the home team probably should have been the ones to press harder for goals.

Surprised to not see them drop points here... You are right, they need to be winning these games at home. All teams have hiccups though.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I think Mata's more of a threat at LW. Can't wait for him and Torres to get a full match together.

I'd have Mikel, Ramires and Frank in the MF. We could then bring on Malouda for Frank and move Mata to CAM.

Butcher of Birth
08-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I think Mata's more of a threat at LW. Can't wait for him and Torres to get a full match together.

I'd have Mikel, Ramires and Frank in the MF. We could then bring on Malouda for Frank and move Mata to CAM.

In the end, we are hurting for talent haha!

Butcher of Birth
08-28-2011, 08:47 AM
As I write this, it is 7-2 in the north of England... But what can we see that others won't? Look at the 2 goals De Gea let in? Dreadful mistakes... The papers will praise Rooney and Co for a right good trashing of the Young Guns, but look at how De Gea was beaten... I'm tell you, give them a strong side in form (Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester...) Goals are pouring in.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-28-2011, 08:55 AM
As I write this, it is 7-2 in the north of England... But what can we see that others won't? Look at the 2 goals De Gea let in? Dreadful mistakes... The papers will praise Rooney and Co for a right good trashing of the Young Guns, but look at how De Gea was beaten... I'm tell you, give them a strong side in form (Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester...) Goals are pouring in.

You're burying the lead here. It won't matter if De Gea lets in a howler or two when they can score goals in bunches. Brilliant goals, I might add.

I fear the Manchester clubs.

Butcher of Birth
08-28-2011, 10:22 AM
You're burying the lead here. It won't matter if De Gea lets in a howler or two when they can score goals in bunches. Brilliant goals, I might add.

But you have to admit, at the current time Arsenal are mentally and emotionally out of it. They are going to slip hard in the table in the coming month unless something massive changes inside the team, whether that be a new signing or a new manager. And facing teams the likes of the other big three in England, Manchester United won't be throwing the balls in the net so easily. If they do anything like they did in two weeks against Chelsea then I will hand them the title now. But that will be a very telling game for the entire league.

King Slender
08-28-2011, 05:09 PM

This. City will win the league.

LAXdef16
08-28-2011, 05:17 PM

As much as I'd hate to admit it, you're probably right.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Until I see different, I think Man U are the favorites.

Butcher of Birth
08-29-2011, 06:22 AM

Both City and United are letting the goals in though...

Both clubs have conceded 3 goals in 3 games, and if you look at the teams putting them in, I wouldn't put it past them to let more in against the likes of Liverpool or Chelsea, not to mention their derby...

ravenheart
08-30-2011, 08:54 AM
But you have to admit, at the current time Arsenal are mentally and emotionally out of it. They are going to slip hard in the table in the coming month unless something massive changes inside the team, whether that be a new signing or a new manager. And facing teams the likes of the other big three in England, Manchester United won't be throwing the balls in the net so easily. If they do anything like they did in two weeks against Chelsea then I will hand them the title now. But that will be a very telling game for the entire league.

Those goals wouldn't have happened if United were only winning 1-0. They slacked off at the back because they knew it was going to be a goal-feast at the other end. If they needed to protect their lead they would have done.

I think tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
I think tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

No doubt. Especially for Chelsea. Could add and lose 2-3 players tomorrow.

Butcher of Birth
08-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Those goals wouldn't have happened if United were only winning 1-0. They slacked off at the back because they knew it was going to be a goal-feast at the other end. If they needed to protect their lead they would have done.

It was 3-1 by half, you would still assume to protect if you are 3-0 up. I'm saying this because they don't have Vidic or Rio for awhile and in three weeks they had better have them against their first real test of the season. Because Liverpool, none of the big clubs have had to really fight out a win against a consistently quality side.

Especially for Chelsea. Could add and lose 2-3 players tomorrow.

Israeli papers report a medical for Yossi will be done at Spurs. Player+$$$ for Modric?

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Israeli papers report a medical for Yossi will be done at Spurs. Player+$$$ for Modric?

Maybe or maybe not. Could just be cover for Van der Vart, who is out with a torn hamstring.

I've gone back and forth on Modric. I'd love to have him but not at 40 mil. Will we sign him? I have no idea. I was sure of it a week ago but now I'm leaning towards no.

I'll be glad at 6pm tomorrow. All the speculation will be over and any deals will be done. At least until January.

Butcher of Birth
08-30-2011, 05:59 PM
I'll be glad at 6pm tomorrow. All the speculation will be over and any deals will be done. At least until January.

Then it's the same shit just new people! :lol:

After seeing how much Mata brought to the final 20 he played, in terms of pace, passing, flowing plays, I feel Chelsea are not in that much in need of Modric.

King Slender
08-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Maybe or maybe not. Could just be cover for Van der Vart, who is out with a torn hamstring.

I've gone back and forth on Modric. I'd love to have him but not at 40 mil. Will we sign him? I have no idea. I was sure of it a week ago but now I'm leaning towards no.

Modric is going nowhere. Though I would happily take 40 mil for that rat-faced bastard. That's alot of dough for a player who doesn't score goals.

ravenheart
08-31-2011, 02:17 AM
Then it's the same shit just new people! :lol:

After seeing how much Mata brought to the final 20 he played, in terms of pace, passing, flowing plays, I feel Chelsea are not in that much in need of Modric.

No one is in that much need of Modric. He simply isn't that good. But if he does go, it will be for big money because Harry has done his usual media-mongering trick he does with every player he ever sells.

Looks like we'll sign Bryan Ruiz today for 10.6m, and Zdenek Grygera on a free. HOPEFULLY we'll sell Andrew Johnson to Leicester and buy a couple of strikers from somewhere...

ravenheart
08-31-2011, 02:20 AM
It was 3-1 by half

That doesn't tell the story of the flow of the game. It was obvious to everyone watching or involved in the game that Man U would score more goals with ease and Arsenal wouldn't have an answer. They had nothing to worry about, which is why they kept attacking.

Also, Smalling and Jones are ample cover for Vidic and Ferdinand. Ferdinand will be fit for the next game anyway.

ravenheart
08-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Done deals so far, for when you guys wake up:

Park Chu-Young - Monaco > Arsenal
Sebastian Coates - Nacional > Liverpool
Gerhard Tremmel - free agent > Swansea
Ryan Bertrand - Man City > Bristol City (loan)
Marek Cech - West Brom > Trabzonspor
Joe Cole - Liverpool > Lille (loan)
Denis Stracqualursi - Gimnasia de la Plata > Everton
Ulises Davila - Chelsea > Vitesse Arnham (loan)
David Davis - Wolves > Inverness (loan)

And looking highly likely to complete:

Per Mertesaker - Werder Bremen > Arsenal
Scott Parker - West Ham > Spurs
Andre Santos - Fenerbahce > Arsenal
Shaun Wright Philips - Man City > QPR
Alan Hutton - Spurs > Aston Villa
Scott Dann - Birmingham > Blackburn
Anton Ferdinand - Sunderland > QPR
Zdenek Grygera - Juventus > Fulham
Bryan Ruiz - FC Twente > Fulham
Rafik Halliche - Fulham > Swansea
Cameron Jerome - Birmingham > Stoke
Jermaine Beckford - Everton > Leicester

King Slender
08-31-2011, 05:20 AM
Looks like we'll sign Bryan Ruiz today for 10.6m

Will be a good signing from what I hear....everyone on the Spurs' board I frequent are pissed off that we aren't in for him.

other deadline day news....apparently Bolton have accepted Spurs offer for Cahill, personal terms and medical are being worked on.

Butcher of Birth
08-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Scott Parker moves from East to North reports Sky. What a shame! Leaving Upton like that haha

ravenheart
08-31-2011, 07:12 AM
That one was always going to happen. Rumour is David Bentley going the other way. West Ham also signed Papa Bouba Diop yesterday. When the hell did he get to be 33 years old?

Also looks like Yakubu going to Blackburn, and despite denial by their director of football, Marseille's Andre Pierre Gignac is somewhere in England thrashing out a deal.

Butcher of Birth
08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
One year contract for Zdenek Grygera. Looks like the cottage is trying to get some class in it ;)

ravenheart
08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Baffling signing. We don't need him. Certainly at that age.

Butcher of Birth
08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Transfer window is close, but there are some last minute deals yet to be done I read. Will Chelsea swoop for another last minute want away Red?!

ravenheart
08-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Right at the death, but we got Bryan Ruiz (10.6m), and also signed 23-year-old Portugal international striker Orlando Sa on a free from Porto.

Pretty pleased with that. Don't really care about Grygera, but happy we've hopefully got a couple of exciting strikers. We missed out on Alan Hutton and Derek Boateng, but not too broken up about those.

Other late deals which went through:

Peter Crouch - Spurs > Stoke (10m)
Raul Meireles - Liverpool > Chelsea
Yossi Benayoun - Chelsea > Arsenal
Mikel Arteta - Everton > Arsenal
Craig Bellamy - Man City > Liverpool
David Ngog - Liverpool > Bolton (4m - what a joke)
Gael Kakuta - Chelsea > Bolton (loan until January 1)
Wilson Palacios - Spurs > Stoke (6m - another joke)
Jermaine Jenas - Spurs > Aston Villa
Alan Hutton - Spurs > Aston Villa (4m)
Nicklas Bendtner - Arsenal > Sunderland
Shaun Wright-Phillips - Man City > QPR
Scott Dann - Birmingham > Blackburn
Yakubu - Everton > Blackburn

All pretty interesting in the end. Just wish Newcastle hadn't fucked around with that lame attempt to hijack our Ruiz signing and drag it out until the last minute.

Butcher of Birth
08-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Glad to see the window is closed though...

Now we can get onto the Euro-qualifiers, and the rest of the year, in peace.

ravenheart
09-01-2011, 01:37 AM
You mean until the second window...

Butcher of Birth
09-01-2011, 11:45 AM
You mean until the second window...

The rest of the calendar year, duh!

ravenheart
09-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Oh right. We don't refer to the calendar year in football...

Butcher of Birth
09-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Oh right. We don't refer to the calendar year in football...

Well whatever. For the next week let's move onto National Team duty?

Very interesting that, once again, England is not tearing their group apart. Can any manager really make what would seem to be an unstoppable team of stars just that?

In Germany, is it really alright to settle for "either being 2nd or 3rd" or should they get away from Low and try and push to 1st?

ravenheart
09-01-2011, 04:14 PM
To be honest, international weeks are weeks where nothing interesting is happening in football. I switch off until Thursday, then just check to see if anyone in my fantasy league team got injured on Wednesday.

Butcher of Birth
09-01-2011, 04:52 PM
To be honest, international weeks are weeks where nothing interesting is happening in football. I switch off until Thursday, then just check to see if anyone in my fantasy league team got injured on Wednesday.

:lol: No support for the Three Lions eh?!

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
International breaks blow. Just when the season's getting going. Glad the EPL doesn't have a winter break.

ravenheart
09-02-2011, 01:23 AM
:lol: No support for the Three Lions eh?!

Nope. Really couldn't care less. I've watched one half of one England game in the last few years, and that was the half Bobby Zamora played in a friendly. I don't even watch world cups.

King Slender
09-02-2011, 06:49 AM
International breaks blow. Just when the season's getting going. Glad the EPL doesn't have a winter break.

This. They are fucking awful.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-02-2011, 08:00 AM
@Ravenheart:

Are you going to the league cup match at Stamford Bridge?

ravenheart
09-02-2011, 01:02 PM
@Ravenheart:

Are you going to the league cup match at Stamford Bridge?

Nah. Just hoping you do us a favour and win the game.

Butcher of Birth
09-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Welcome back!

We start things off with a lot of matches:

Chelsea at Sunderland. Juan Mata and Raul get their first starts of the season for Chelsea.

Arsenal should pick up three points as they host Swansea. Mertesacker and Arteta make starts, which should pick up the spirits of those faithful in the North of London.

Others are being played, but games are starting now... haha ;)

COME ON CHELSEA!

ravenheart
09-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Man U just got done spanking Bolton 5-0 at home. It's going to take something special to stop them this year I think.

More importantly, Sergio Aguero hat-trick and David Silva with two assists for my fantasy league team.

Butcher of Birth
09-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Man U just got done spanking Bolton 5-0 at home. It's going to take something special to stop them this year I think.

More importantly, Sergio Aguero hat-trick and David Silva with two assists for my fantasy league team.

Let's not forget how Chelsea started last year :lol:

And my fantasy team did fairly well today.

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/10046927101/1/tumblr_lrbnqgkjfh1qefksq

King Slender
09-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Well done Fulham! :party:

ravenheart
09-19-2011, 01:28 AM
We were shit. A less arrogant team would have destroyed us.

Butcher of Birth
09-19-2011, 05:10 PM
We were shit. A less arrogant team would have destroyed us.

Still a good result against a Manchester side. Same can't be said about my Chelsea... OOF! :mad:

ravenheart
09-20-2011, 04:01 AM
Yep, still a good result, but the performance tells us more. Man U would have beaten us easily because their defence wouldn't have switched off like City's. Plus, Man U's attacked midfielders get back and help out defensively. City's can't be bothered. When we had corners, or broke, they left at least three attacking players up-field. Sometimes four.

Butcher of Birth
09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Yep, still a good result, but the performance tells us more. Man U would have beaten us easily because their defence wouldn't have switched off like City's. Plus, Man U's attacked midfielders get back and help out defensively. City's can't be bothered. When we had corners, or broke, they left at least three attacking players up-field. Sometimes four.

See you lot tomorrow ;)

ravenheart
09-20-2011, 10:48 AM
See you lot tomorrow ;)

Do us a favour and win, would you?

I'm hoping we put out a complete reserve/youth team.

Worst possible result would be another draw.

EDIT: Looks like there are no replays for this round, so there are no draws.

Butcher of Birth
09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Do us a favour and win, would you?

I'm hoping we put out a complete reserve/youth team.

Worst possible result would be another draw.

EDIT: Looks like there are no replays for this round, so there are no draws.

Well looks like we both fielded our youngsters. 0-0 half.

ravenheart
09-21-2011, 01:19 PM
*sigh* looks like it's going to penalties.

ravenheart
09-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Thank fuck for that. We just missed our second one.

Butcher of Birth
09-21-2011, 07:07 PM
That was one strange game... I love that no matter the striker, Chelsea can't finish worth shit.

Fulham has some good young players man, Orlando and Frie was it? Class.

ravenheart
09-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I watched the first half in order to check out some of the reserves and was very impressed by the link-up play between Frei, Orlando Sa and Ruiz. Matthew Briggs looked good as well. For a change we're doing alright for full-backs all of a sudden now that Kelly's playing well, Briggs has come through, and we signed Grygera and Riise.

I hope Frei and Sa did enough to earn themselves a chance in the first team with that. Pretty sure Sa would have had a goal if not for being fractionally offside a few too many times.

Butcher of Birth
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Pretty sure Sa would have had a goal if not for being fractionally offside a few too many times.

And had he not crashed into Cech. He was very impressive with his skill moving forward past Alex.

ravenheart
10-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Fuck me QPR's defence is shit.

Butcher of Birth
10-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Or Fulham is really good ;) :lol:

Arsenal crumble once again.

ravenheart
10-02-2011, 10:01 AM
It was certainly a good performance, but not 6-0 good. Especially with Zamora playing as badly as he did.

Their keeper was awful. I don't think he made a single save. Every on-target shot went in. The defence cleared off the line for him once or twice too.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Bolton made us look pretty good. Frank was pure class. I love that Sturridge isn't afraid to shoot from almost anywhere. Torres probably kicking himself for missing this one. Totally brain-dead challenge last week.

Another god damn international break. :mad:

ravenheart
10-02-2011, 12:41 PM
:lol: :lol:

Bobby Zamora in the England squad. Clearly Capello hasn't watched him play recently and is just picking players from scoresheets again.

Butcher of Birth
11-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Having a hard time coming to terms with this...
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/302503_10150445863283115_612163114_10303353_193790 1596_n.jpg

The only bright side is that my girlfriend and I were able to get a fake photo made when we stopped in London after our European tour for Maiden!
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387661_10150445895963115_612163114_10303566_182869 664_n.jpg

ravenheart
11-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Who's the kid with Fat Frank?

Butcher of Birth
11-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Justin Bieber :lol:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Another god damn international break. :mad:

:mad:

I think the Liverpool match after the break will be very telling. It's really a rebuilding year for Chelsea. Getting the most of our older players while trying to add players that will fit AVB's style. Mata and Meireles are a good start. Now we need to work on the back line. We're getting ripped apart on a weekly basis at the back. Tactics are part of that but so is the personel. Terry is too slow and Bosingwa, David Luiz and Alex are prone to mistakes. I would not be shocked if we finish out it the top four this season.

ravenheart
11-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Justin Bieber :lol:

Oh. Like he'll even have a clue about anything Premiership-related.

ravenheart
11-09-2011, 09:45 AM
:mad:

I think the Liverpool match after the break will be very telling. It's really a rebuilding year for Chelsea. Getting the most of our older players while trying to add players that will fit AVB's style. Mata and Meireles are a good start. Now we need to work on the back line. We're getting ripped apart on a weekly basis at the back. Tactics are part of that but so is the personel. Terry is too slow and Bosingwa, David Luiz and Alex are prone to mistakes. I would not be shocked if we finish out it the top four this season.

I wouldn't worry about Luiz. He was phenomenal before he got injured over the Summer, that was no fluke.

But yeah, Terry is coming to the end, and I've never been convinced by Alex. You've still got Ferreira and Ivanovic...:eyes:

Butcher of Birth
11-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I wouldn't worry about Luiz. He was phenomenal before he got injured over the Summer, that was no fluke.

But yeah, Terry is coming to the end, and I've never been convinced by Alex. You've still got Ferreira and Ivanovic...:eyes:

I wager that Cole, Luiz, and Ivanovic are Chelsea's best in defense. Alex has never truly impressed me in defense, as a free kick taker, maybe.

ravenheart
11-10-2011, 01:28 AM
As a free-kick taker he just hits things hard and straight :lol:

Seventhzealot
11-13-2011, 07:15 AM
This weekend has felt so vacant with no premier-league football :mad:

ravenheart
11-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Yep, international breaks suck.

However, on Tuesday, if reports are correct, I may actually watch my first England game for at least a year. Apparently Bobby Zamora will be starting.

Seventhzealot
11-13-2011, 08:16 AM
I want to say,"Have fun, mate" but considering you're going to an England game, I think that'll be pretty tough.

I know, I've followed them since Korea-Japan '02 :snivel:

ravenheart
11-15-2011, 04:50 AM
I want to say,"Have fun, mate" but considering you're going to an England game, I think that'll be pretty tough.

Pfft, I'm not going. Just watching it on TV.

I'd never go to an England game unless I won tickets somehow.

Seventhzealot
11-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Pfft, I'm not going. Just watching it on TV.

I'd never go to an England game unless I won tickets somehow.

Fair enough, that. I'd probably catch the Portugal game today but it starts at cunting 4 pm and I have a 5 pm class :mad:

ravenheart
11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll watch for as long as Bobby Z is playing. As soon as he's subbed I'm out.

Seventhzealot
11-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Good thing that the International break is out of the way, a nice run of premier-league fixtures now.

Swansea away on Saturday afternoon, that'll be a tricky one, Swansea have acquitted themselves rather well in the premier-league so we really need to find that form from the start of the season.

ravenheart
11-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Good thing that the International break is out of the way, a nice run of premier-league fixtures now.

Swansea away on Saturday afternoon, that'll be a tricky one, Swansea have acquitted themselves rather well in the premier-league so we really need to find that form from the start of the season.

They've been pretty ordinary. Lots of penalties. Just don't give them any and you'll win.

Seventhzealot
11-16-2011, 09:15 AM
They've been pretty ordinary. Lots of penalties. Just don't give them any and you'll win.

I was talking about their home form. Just conceded one goal at home in five games this season. For a promoted team, that's quite a good defensive run even if they are winning via penalties.

Anyway hopefully everyone comes back rejuvenated after the break and we get a break with all those injuries in defence.

Seventhzealot
11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
A joke I read on twitter

First Euro 2012 group to be drawn out - Ireland, Greece, Italy, Portugal. They're calling it the "group of debt."

Butcher of Birth
11-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I am excited/dreading tomorrow... I have my faith in Chelsea for sure, but I don't know where our head's will be. :hecho:

Butcher of Birth
11-20-2011, 02:57 PM
WELP! Fuck me...

Seventhzealot
11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Hope Liverpool can now copy and paste that performance next week against City :D

Seventhzealot
11-27-2011, 08:13 PM
RIP Gary Speed
Terrible news.

Butcher of Birth
11-28-2011, 08:39 AM
RIP Gary Speed
Terrible news.

Indeed. Hate to see anyone go at such a young age.

Seventhzealot
11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Chelsea lose at home again :LOLFC:

Having said that I'm kinda nervous about Crystal Palace :eyes:

Seventhzealot
12-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Game at Basel starts in 20 minutes :snivel:

Really hope we can somehow win this group. Come on Otelul :D :eyes:

ravenheart
12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Pfft, we walked all over them season before last :p

Seventhzealot
12-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Meh looking increasingly likely that I'll have something to do on Thursday afternoons from February :eyes:

ravenheart
12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
You drop into the Europa League's next round now, so you'll have some more games yet.

Seventhzealot
12-07-2011, 12:45 PM
That is what I meant, as Europa league games are on thursdays.

Butcher of Birth
12-07-2011, 09:57 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/466949350.jpg?Expires=1323328328&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=J4EDftyFPGorC7glyU05tT4S64QCzEdcN3Nz7bGC dikYipz6Ly4so4jEjUfRldZitJMticyTllCWbJXciSPlcgMTz5 iuZIDlcORjHdtZ3nvFzsOxfckjxTErNLHDmCDoMyUBxG3uR6oU Y4WAZ6e-biacN6qV2sHW~U~52BQ85S0_

ravenheart
12-08-2011, 02:11 AM
That is what I meant, as Europa league games are on thursdays.

Except next week, apparently :eyes:

Seventhzealot
12-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Yeah, the last round of group fixtures isn't it?

I think we'll end up playing the kids in Europe, no way will we jeopardize our premier league aspirations with the Thursday-Sunday game cycle.

Also I think we're easily the unluckiest team when it comes to injuries.

ravenheart
12-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Yeah, the last round of group fixtures isn't it?

Yep.

I think we'll end up playing the kids in Europe, no way will we jeopardize our premier league aspirations with the Thursday-Sunday game cycle.

See that you do. It's a joke you're even in the competition.

Also I think we're easily the unluckiest team when it comes to injuries.

No, that's Arsenal. Has been for years.

Seventhzealot
12-08-2011, 05:56 AM
No, that's Arsenal. Has been for years.

Arsenal lose players evenly across all positions but we seem to lose all our defenders at once(happened in 09/10 too around New Year). At this point of time I can't think of any team who has a bigger injury list than ours because it has struck our forward line too.

ravenheart
12-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Arsenal lose players evenly across all positions but we seem to lose all our defenders at once(happened in 09/10 too around New Year). At this point of time I can't think of any team who has a bigger injury list than ours because it has struck our forward line too.

That's Ferguson's fault for never having enough defenders. You don't lose any more defenders to injury than anyone else (except when Spurs insisted on relying on Woodgate and King, of course ;)), but you never have the back-up. Bit different this year with Smalling and Jones becoming proper first-teamers, but when your back-up was Brown, Evans and O'Shea, suddenly Man U had a "defensive crisis".

Rectified now, at last, I think. Smalling and Jones are dependable.

Right now, Arsenal's injury list is the same length as yours in terms of raw numbers (8 players each), but smaller in terms of percentage of first team squad, because they've got so many kids. Bolton and Newcastle also have 8 members of their senior squad out, Sunderland have 9.

Even then, they have a lower percentage of the squad injured. Your squad is actually one of the smallest in the league, and certainly the smallest of the top clubs.

Seventhzealot
12-08-2011, 06:19 AM
That's Ferguson's fault for never having enough defenders. You don't lose any more defenders to injury than anyone else (except when Spurs insisted on relying on Woodgate and King, of course ;)), but you never have the back-up. Bit different this year with Smalling and Jones becoming proper first-teamers, but when your back-up was Brown, Evans and O'Shea, suddenly Man U had a "defensive crisis".

Rectified now, at last, I think. Smalling and Jones are dependable.

Right now, Arsenal's injury list is the same length as yours in terms of raw numbers (8 players each), but smaller in terms of percentage of first team squad, because they've got so many kids. Bolton and Newcastle also have 8 members of their senior squad out, Sunderland have 9.

Even then, they have a lower percentage of the squad injured. Your squad is actually one of the smallest in the league, and certainly the smallest of the top clubs.

Well this season, our defense was always going to be an issue. The twins are majorly injury prone, Ferdinand cannot play back-to-back games and Evans to be honest has only degraded as a player since 2009.

Bolton, Newcastle and Sunderland are not in Europe so that really is a moot point though I agree about Arsenal, they too seem to be hit by the injury bug a lot.

Anyway no excuses there, we've been successful in the past even with all those injuries, I think this year we just didn't respect the competition enough by playing our strongest team and went out. Its not the "disaster" everyone is making it out to be. We have to be realistic about our trophy aspirations as this is a transitional year with several senior players either retiring or departing from the club. We have a good base of young players now and with time I think we'll move forward towards building our next team.

Ofcourse the kids who just started supporting United after the trophies came flowing in won't be patient enough.

ravenheart
12-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Not being in Europe is irrelevant. The length of time spent without those players is the same, it's just that you and any other team in a European competition have to play more games with other players. The number, and length, of injuries isn't related to the games played.

Except in the sense that the more games you play, the more chance you've got of picking up injuries... which actually makes teams who aren't in Europe unluckier than teams in Europe when they end up with long injury lists.

Your problem is still, and has been for years, that your squad is too small. Ferguson doesn't like spending money when, as he sees it, he doesn't have to, but it's consistently meant that when you do end up with the same number of injuries as other clubs, you start running out of players you can depend on as replacements.

At least in your case the replacement you do have are also top quality. Some other clubs don't have that luxury. Arsenal don't, but that's their own fault for not buying players. And then not using the ones they do buy (hello, Yossi Benayoun).

But yes, you've still had the success even with depleted numbers, so it should never be seen as the end of the world.

The team you put out the other night did surprise me, I have to say.

ravenheart
12-08-2011, 06:28 AM
With Johnny Evans, I think someone needs to work out what the hell position really is his best, and keep him in it. So far all we know is he's not a good centre back, and he's not a good holding midfields... what is he? :lol:

Seventhzealot
12-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Not being in Europe is irrelevant. The length of time spent without those players is the same, it's just that you and any other team in a European competition have to play more games with other players. The number, and length, of injuries isn't related to the games played.

Except in the sense that the more games you play, the more chance you've got of picking up injuries... which actually makes teams who aren't in Europe unluckier than teams in Europe when they end up with long injury lists.

Your problem is still, and has been for years, that your squad is too small. Ferguson doesn't like spending money when, as he sees it, he doesn't have to, but it's consistently meant that when you do end up with the same number of injuries as other clubs, you start running out of players you can depend on as replacements.

At least in your case the replacement you do have are also top quality. Some other clubs don't have that luxury. Arsenal don't, but that's their own fault for not buying players. And then not using the ones they do buy (hello, Yossi Benayoun).

But yes, you've still had the success even with depleted numbers, so it should never be seen as the end of the world.

The team you put out the other night did surprise me, I have to say.

You're only looking at it from one perspective though. Yes, its unluckier if you have the same number of injuries or more if you play less games but then it doesn't help that you need to play crucial games in Europe with a depleted squad. But as I said, this wasn't an issue in us not qualifying so enough on that.

Yes, well after the Veron and Berbatov(?) deals, Ferguson has been rather pessimistic about spending large sums of money on players above the age of 25. Although our transfer policy has always focused around youth, we've also gone out and bought quality senior players who provided the level-headedness to complement the youthful exuberance. Ofcourse the inflated transfer market doesn't help much either.

The last couple of months especially after that ridiculous defeat to City, we've almost gone into our shell and instead of stamping our authority on games, we've tried to show up and claim victory. History has shown that we're at our best when we go all-out to attack and I hope we revisit that strategy again rather than this cautious approach.

Jonny Evans was such a promising talent in the 08/09 season. He was a prominent member of that back four who achieved that incredible run of clean sheets(something like no goals conceded in over a thousand minutes) but after that year he has steadily gone downhill. His positional presence is poor and so is his aerial ability. There's a stat which says without Vidic in the team we concede around 2 goals per game while the number drops to a mere 0.47 when he plays. Just goes to show how much we rely on him right now.

ravenheart
12-08-2011, 06:55 AM
You're only looking at it from one perspective though. Yes, its unluckier if you have the same number of injuries or more if you play less games but then it doesn't help that you need to play crucial games in Europe with a depleted squad. But as I said, this wasn't an issue in us not qualifying so enough on that.

Best not to use that point when talking to a Fulham fan... ;)

I think over time you'll be able to rely less on Vidic. He's certainly been good since he had that run of awful form last season, but Smalling and especially Jones will, within the next season or two, pretty much become THE centre-back pairing in the league. I think Evra's fading contribution is a more immediate issue.

And just put the twins down. Put everyone out of their misery ;)

What do you make of De Gea so far? During his initial period of mistakes I was confident he'd get through it and put first class, but he's still not that convincing to me.

One of the most bemusing things about Man U's younger players to me is how Macheda still isn't a good player. Look at the guy, he should be immense. It's funny sometimes how players just stop developing.

Seventhzealot
12-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Best not to use that point when talking to a Fulham fan... ;)

That's why I didn't mention Fulham in my list of examples ;)

I think over time you'll be able to rely less on Vidic. He's certainly been good since he had that run of awful form last season, but Smalling and especially Jones will, within the next season or two, pretty much become THE centre-back pairing in the league. I think Evra's fading contribution is a more immediate issue.

Yes that is one point I forgot to touch upon. Evra is still good as ever going forward but the defensive side of his game has gone horridly bad, too many times he's caught ahead of the play and we generally tend to concede goals due to crosses coming in from the right. Smalling and Jones are the future England and United centre-back pairing no doubt. Smalling, already is very assured at centre-back and I'd like to see more of him there but ofcourse with no fit right-backs at the moment, he has to slot in at right-back. Jones is still quite young and I think needs to work more on the aerial side of his defending which Vidic is an absolute beast at.

And just put the twins down. Put everyone out of their misery ;)

The twins are a really frustrating situation. When they were in their first season they took everyone's breath away with their exuberance and energy but they are just so injury prone, its laughable. I think at the end of this season we may have to take a decision about that because it is proving to be quite costly especially with the 25 man squad-limit now.

What do you make of De Gea so far? During his initial period of mistakes I was confident he'd get through it and put first class, but he's still not that convincing to me.

Honestly, I feel like we're honoring the price-tag too much. For a keeper as young as him I don't think he should have been entrusted with the no.1 jersey so soon. Lindegaard is far more assured than him and should have been the new no.1 because I still think it will take another couple of years till De Gea can build that confidence to truly command his area. Ofcourse our lackadaisical defending at times hasn't helped him either.

One of the most bemusing things about Man U's younger players to me is how Macheda still isn't a good player. Look at the guy, he should be immense. It's funny sometimes how players just stop developing.

Yeah I think we really missed a trick by sending him over to a struggling Italian team where he barely even played any games. Should have rather played in the premier league like Cleverley, who has returned a better player. Honestly though, I don't see Macheda lasting here too long, his main role was to be an impact front-man but his first touch and holding ability leaves quite a lot to be desired.

Butcher of Birth
12-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Should have rather played in the premier league like Cleverley...

Bolton did wonders for Sturridge, try there ;)

I really did think that Macheda would be partnering with Rooney when I saw him a few seasons ago, he is fairly good.

ravenheart
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Well that was a goddamn good afternoon :D

Seventhzealot
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Seems like Chelsea-United will get called off just like last year. Goddamn it :bouville:

Seventhzealot
02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
So was anyone unfortunate enough as me to watch the Liverpool-Tottenham snoozefest?

ravenheart
02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
So was anyone unfortunate enough as me to watch the Liverpool-Tottenham snoozefest?

Why bother? ;)

Seventhzealot
02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Why bother? ;)

After all the Superbowl malarki from yesterday, I had to feel normal again ;)

MetalIsArt
02-12-2012, 06:54 AM
As long as the championship doesn't go to Chelsea I'm happy. ;)

ravenheart
02-12-2012, 07:14 AM
As long as the championship doesn't go to Chelsea I'm happy. ;)

There's no chance of that this year.

Good to see Kenny Dalglish and Luis Suarez further damaging the reputation of Liverpool this weekend. What a pair of assholes, seriously.

MetalIsArt
02-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Good to see Kenny Dalglish and Luis Suarez further damaging the reputation of Liverpool this weekend. What a pair of assholes, seriously.

It's sad. I don't really follow English football as much as La Liga, but I have a thing for Liverpool. It hurts to see how far they have gone.

ravenheart
02-12-2012, 07:21 AM
It's sad. I don't really follow English football as much as La Liga, but I have a thing for Liverpool. It hurts to see how far they have gone.

I didn't mind them defending him while the investigation was ongoing, but once he was found guilty and banned, and they didn't appeal, the right thing to do is apologise to United and Evra and move on. Not keep bringing it up after the event and making it worse. Which they've now done two weekends in a row after Dalglish slipped "he should never have been away in the first place" into his post-match interview last weekend.

EDIT: at least they've both now apologised for yesterday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17004667

Seventhzealot
02-12-2012, 07:33 AM
I didn't mind them defending him while the investigation was ongoing, but once he was found guilty and banned, and they didn't appeal, the right thing to do is apologise to United and Evra and move on. Not keep bringing it up after the event and making it worse. Which they've now done two weekends in a row after Dalglish slipped "he should never have been away in the first place" into his post-match interview last weekend.

EDIT: at least they've both now apologised for yesterday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17004667

The whole affair has just devolved into me losing all respect I had for Liverpool. Suarez could have just shook hands with Evra yesterday and put it all behind but he'd to act like a cunt again. In addition, Dalglish's post match comments about Suarez doing nothing wrong were a disgrace. I'd think the higher order at Liverpool has intervened and so apologies have been forthcoming. Still shameful that no one apologized to Evra but safe to say the animosity between United and Liverpool has reached fever pitch now and not in the good way.

EDIT: Nice to see someone finally post here ;)

ravenheart
02-12-2012, 07:37 AM
In actual fact, Dalglish has been riling the rest of the league with his comments about everything since he returned. In every post-match interview, even before the Suarez thing, he was always irritable, blinkered to what had gone on in the game, and often just downright rude to people who asked him questions. I haven't spoken to another fan of a Premiership team who thinks he's conducted himself at all respectfully in any matter since he took the job.

The thing which highlights that most is how after yesterday, the rest of football are on Ferguson's side and agree with his comments. That's how far Dalglish has pushed everyone away.

Seventhzealot
02-12-2012, 07:42 AM
In actual fact, Dalglish has been riling the rest of the league with his comments about everything since he returned. In every post-match interview, even before the Suarez thing, he was always irritable, blinkered to what had gone on in the game, and often just downright rude to people who asked him questions. I haven't spoken to another fan of a Premiership team who thinks he's conducted himself at all respectfully in any matter since he took the job.

The thing which highlights that most is how after yesterday, the rest of football are on Ferguson's side and agree with his comments. That's how far Dalglish has pushed everyone away.

Yeah Dalglish has always been a bit of an arrogant character. I think he was the one who wanted to sign Roy Keane from Forest and when he realized Keane had chosen United he said something along the lines of "You can't do that to me. Do you know who I am?"

Ever since his appointment, it was pretty certain that Liverpool had basically wanted to ride the euphoria of having an old hero back in the saddle because to be perfectly honest I question their ambition at times. His record is quite similar to Roy Hodgson too and that after having spent close to 100 million in the summer.

Actually yesterday I thought Sir Alex might have said a bit too much about Suarez, I understand he was emotional but even I thought he crossed the line but it only goes to show how poorly Liverpool handled the whole issue.

Suarez better be ready for some rough treatment at grounds across the league now, he has played himself into quite the quandary.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
02-12-2012, 08:07 AM

We'll be lucky to finish Top 4. I'm thinking 5th or 6th. I had the utmost faith in AVB at first but his team selection and substitutions recently have been mind-boggling. I'm starting to think he'll be gone if we drop too far. Not that it's all on him. Trying to rebuild on the fly isn't working. Too much dead weight and/or players past their prime on the team, right now.

Europa League, here we come!

ravenheart
02-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Honestly, I'd stick with AVB and genuinely try to build a proper legacy at Chelsea for a change, instead of just switching between high-paid personnel all the time.

And let's face, no manager in the Premier League seems to have a clue about how to make substitutions properly.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
02-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Honestly, I'd stick with AVB and genuinely try to build a proper legacy at Chelsea for a change, instead of just switching between high-paid personnel all the time.

And let's face, no manager in the Premier League seems to have a clue about how to make substitutions properly.

I hope we stick with him for the sake of consistency and stability. We've become a laughing stock for how often we sack decent managers.

I just know Roman's got a quick trigger and if we keep dropping in the table and crash out of the FA Cup and Champions League, He's going to lose patience.

Seventhzealot
02-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Manchester United thanks Liverpool for the apologies issued following Saturday's game.

Everyone at Old Trafford wants to move on from this. The history of our two great clubs is one of success and rivalry unparalleled in British football.

That should be the focus in the future of all those who love the clubs.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Feb/manchester-united-statement-on-liverpool-apology.aspx

Fantastic statement put out by United. Finally we can put an end to all this and start talking about footballing matters again.

Seventhzealot
02-12-2012, 08:34 AM
I hope we stick with him for the sake of consistency and stability. We've become a laughing stock for how often we sack decent managers.

I just know Roman's got a quick trigger and if we keep dropping in the table and crash out of the FA Cup and Champions League, He's going to lose patience.

To be honest if you finish trophy-less this year and outside of the top four, AVB will find it very hard to stay in the job which is a bit unfortunate because at least he seems to be working towards a change by going for younger players. But then this is an owner who sacked Ancelotti after one bad season.

Seventhzealot
02-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Mr. Tevez hits the headlines again. ;) So glad we took the right call in his case two years back.

MetalIsArt
02-14-2012, 06:21 AM
The whole affair has just devolved into me losing all respect I had for Liverpool. Suarez could have just shook hands with Evra yesterday and put it all behind but he'd to act like a cunt again. In addition, Dalglish's post match comments about Suarez doing nothing wrong were a disgrace. I'd think the higher order at Liverpool has intervened and so apologies have been forthcoming. Still shameful that no one apologized to Evra but safe to say the animosity between United and Liverpool has reached fever pitch now and not in the good way.

EDIT: Nice to see someone finally post here ;)

This whole affair is very un-Liverpool.

Seventhzealot
02-14-2012, 08:28 AM
This whole affair is very un-Liverpool.

Yep, that is what everyone has been saying. It has been a poor reflection on Liverpool as a football club because of the petulant actions of one individual.

Seventhzealot
02-14-2012, 10:02 AM
So, Champions League today ;) Anyone watching?

Seventhzealot
02-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Ajax-United :D

Seventhzealot
02-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Nani is so fucking infuriating at times :mad:

Butcher of Birth
02-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Chelsea might as well just drop down to the Championship so we can at least win a league.

ravenheart
02-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Chelsea might as well just drop down to the Championship so we can at least win a league.

:lol: that is such a top-four-supporter statement to make :lol:

MetalIsArt
02-20-2012, 01:18 AM
:D Chelsea might as well just drop down to the Championship so we can at least win a league.

I'll happily help them

MetalIsArt
02-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Yep, that is what everyone has been saying. It has been a poor reflection on Liverpool as a football club because of the petulant actions of one individual.

Like I said, I only follow English football from a distance, but if I hadn't been a Barca-fan, I surely would've been a Liverpool follower.

Ask Valencia why I like Barca... :allan:

ravenheart
02-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Ask Valencia why I like Barca... :allan:

Because you're only interested in glory?

MetalIsArt
02-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Because you're only interested in glory?

I saw a match just as they were about to come back from under the radar and was sold.

I'm also interested in Catalonia, but that's not for this forum haha. :lol:

Seventhzealot
02-20-2012, 11:07 AM

Yep. Sad story of how football fans these days are spoilt so much.

Seventhzealot
02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Fantastic game at the San Paolo. I tip Napoli to win this 3-1.

illninoese
02-26-2012, 09:07 PM
One of the best and most exciting games of soccer I have seen in a long long long long long long time. Liverpool!!!!!!!!!!!

http://images.football365.com/12/02/800x600/CarlingCup_2724704.jpg

Seventhzealot
02-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Fantastic game at the San Paolo. I tip Napoli to win this 3-1.

;)

ravenheart
02-27-2012, 02:35 AM
One of the best and most exciting games of soccer I have seen in a long long long long long long time. Liverpool!!!!!!!!!!!

!? :eek:

You REALLY need to watch more games.

Liverpool didn't win that game. Cardiff threw it away.

Seventhzealot
02-27-2012, 03:03 AM

:lol: That's true. Besides the penalty shoot-out was atrocious in its own way.

illninoese
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM

I do watch a lot of games.........:confused: You can't appreciate an entertaining game when you see it? Regardless of teams?

They are Carling Cup champions so I'm pretty sure they won. And Cardiff should have beat us on penalties, we've sucked at taking them all year. But from a football stand point and a cup final I wouldn't have had it any other way. Reminded me a little bit of the Gabon/Morocco game from last month.

Seventhzealot
02-27-2012, 11:02 AM
I'd still rate the Liverpool-West Ham cup final from a few years back, as a better spectacle than yesterday's game.

ravenheart
02-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I do watch a lot of games.........:confused: You can't appreciate an entertaining game when you see it? Regardless of teams?

They are Carling Cup champions so I'm pretty sure they won. And Cardiff should have beat us on penalties, we've sucked at taking them all year. But from a football stand point and a cup final I wouldn't have had it any other way. Reminded me a little bit of the Gabon/Morocco game from last month.

Evidently not enough. That game was tedious with a couple of memorable moments of brilliance.

They didn't win. They were given it. Three penalties off target after saving one? Cardiff decided that game entirely by themselves. Liverpool's involvement was inconsequential.

There's one good thing about it though. At least it can stand as the only occasion in the entire season that Kenny Dalglish didn't upset the rest of the league by whining like a petulant child :finger:

illninoese
02-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Evidently not enough. That game was tedious with a couple of memorable moments of brilliance.

They didn't win. They were given it. Three penalties off target after saving one? Cardiff decided that game entirely by themselves. Liverpool's involvement was inconsequential.

There's one good thing about it though. At least it can stand as the only occasion in the entire season that Kenny Dalglish didn't upset the rest of the league by whining like a petulant child :finger:

Sounds like someone's a Liverpool hater lol Ohhh well, you can't please everyone. The other good thing is that we know Carroll is still as lazy as ever. What a waste of money......

Seventhzealot
02-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Sounds like someone's a Liverpool hater lol Ohhh well, you can't please everyone.

ravenheart
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Sounds like someone's a Liverpool hater lol Ohhh well, you can't please everyone. The other good thing is that we know Carroll is still as lazy as ever. What a waste of money......

Actually, not at all. But, just like everyone else in the league, Dalglish has turned me against them. The guy has been a disgrace to Liverpool since he took the job.

Seventhzealot
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I miss the days of good old Rafael Benitez when he provided gems like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgZDoW4S8o

Butcher of Birth
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM

Of course ;) haha We are playing like pure ass, and I'm tired of looking for excuses. The players need to find some motivation and preform well, if not for the club and its supporters, but for themselves. I must be embarrassing to have these recent results if you are top player.

Seventhzealot
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Of course ;) haha We are playing like pure ass, and I'm tired of looking for excuses. The players need to find some motivation and preform well, if not for the club and its supporters, but for themselves. I must be embarrassing to have these recent results if you are top player.

More than the players, its down to a lack of foresight and stability in management at the club. This was bound to happen when you keep shuffling managers and fail to freshen the squad up. Right now the defense is the achilles' heel but you need to give players like Luiz a chance to develop.

AvB is at least bringing in younger players so for Chelsea's good, they should give him a long rope. However I highly doubt that especially if they get knocked out of Europe by Napoli and fail to clinch fourth spot, both of which are highly likely.

illninoese
02-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I miss the days of good old Rafael Benitez when he provided gems like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgZDoW4S8o

Chelsea is about to be this good ;)

illninoese
02-27-2012, 09:36 PM
Actually, not at all. But, just like everyone else in the league, Dalglish has turned me against them. The guy has been a disgrace to Liverpool since he took the job.

Yet the only one who has brought us true success. I don't follow the politics behind it all since I'm American and no one gives a flying fuck about soccer here unfortunately. I, personally, think Roy Hodgsen should have been given more time with the manager role. The owners didn't bother to give him the freedom to experiment. Sotirios Kyrgiakos was almost the cause of me going blind. He got handed over a shit team and didn't get given enough time. Like Pelligrini at Real Madrid. Fired for 2nd place and a hiccup in CL. No one has patience in football anymore.

ravenheart
02-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Hodgson should never have gone to Liverpool in the first place. His style is completely wrong for them. There was no way the owners or the fans were going to put up with his solid-defending-but-no-idea-how-to-score-goals methods long term. Or his inability to make appropriate substitutions. Somehow it surprised everyone when Liverpool started playing that way when he arrived. It shouldn't have. Even we were bored of watching it when he left.

He's doing OK with West Brom, but in fits and starts. There's no consistency there.

Kenny has certainly got them playing better, but week on week he then makes the club look stupid with the things he says, his attitude, and his constant (usually entirely incorrect) whining. He's erroding any respect anyone had for them. And I wouldn't call being handed a the League Cup and placing about 7th in the league "true success" just yet ;)

Seventhzealot
02-28-2012, 07:43 AM
So ravenheart, as a neutral what are your predictions for the final two months of the season? Who'll win the title according to you? Might as well do the fourth place team and the three relegation candidates too but I'm thinking the latter will be quite easy ;)

Also what do you think of Fulham's season so far?

ravenheart
02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
I think City will just do enough. Maybe win the title by 2 or 3 points. So, I pretty much think the top six will stay as it is right now:

City
United
Tottenham
Arsenal
Chelsea
Newcastle

Bottom three probably Blackburn, Wigan and one from Wolves or Bolton. Although I'd love QPR to go down.

We're not doing as well as we should have been because we threw away four or five stupid results in the first half of the season, but we'll easily be safe this year. Aiming for 8th, will probably finish 11th or 12th. Getting knocked out of the FA Cup and Europa League in the manner we did was poor though.

Seventhzealot
02-28-2012, 07:59 AM
I'll go with United to just nick the title. This weekend is key though. I really have a feeling we'll draw at WHL but if we can pull off a victory then I'm confident we can overhaul City. Its touch and go though, quite fascinating.

My Top 6:

United
City
Spurs
Arsenal
Chelsea
Liverpool

Well I'll go for Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn to go down. Maybe QPR instead of Bolton so that we don't lose a team from the North-west and the short trip. I'd really want Wigan to do another of their great escapes, always had a soft spot for them since they came up six years back :D

I still think 8th should be a good target for Fulham at this point but that'll be tricky because of trips to United, Liverpool and Spurs yet to come.

ravenheart
02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
I still think 8th should be a good target for Fulham at this point but that'll be tricky because of trips to United, Liverpool and Spurs yet to come.

I've already written those off. I tend to write off most away games.

But at home:

Wolves
Swansea
Norwich
Chelsea
Wigan
Sunderland

:D

Seventhzealot
02-28-2012, 08:13 AM
I've already written those off. I tend to write off most away games.

But at home:

Wolves
Swansea
Norwich
Chelsea
Wigan
Sunderland

:D

That is indeed a good run of home games considering how most of those teams are horrid away from home.

Our run of away games

Spurs
Wolves
Blackburn
Wigan
City
Sunderland.

Squeaky bum time indeed :eyes:

Butcher of Birth
02-29-2012, 03:32 PM
I actually feel Chelsea can clinch fourth spot, they are level GD with the Gunners and I feel they have what it takes to win their next meeting.

Hopefully they can string together 9 points from this easy run of games they have coming up.

Seventhzealot
02-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I actually feel Chelsea can clinch fourth spot, they are level GD with the Gunners and I feel they have what it takes to win their next meeting.

Hopefully they can string together 9 points from this easy run of games they have coming up.

Chelsea will regret all those points dropped at home though. You still have away trips to Arsenal, Liverpool and City coming up. Those are going to be incredibly difficult with your current form but of course I will be cheering you on in the latter of those games ;)

Butcher of Birth
02-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Chelsea will regret all those points dropped at home though. You still have away trips to Arsenal, Liverpool and City coming up. Those are going to be incredibly difficult with your current form but of course I will be cheering you on in the latter of those games ;)

Well of course, fourth place is kind of still ours to lose since we nearly even with Arsenal. I would think we can pull it off, because if there is one team close to our skill level and can manage to scuff up results, it's Arsenal!

Seventhzealot
02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Well of course, fourth place is kind of still ours to lose since we nearly even with Arsenal. I would think we can pull it off, because if there is one team close to our skill level and can manage to scuff up results, it's Arsenal!

Yeah I wouldn't write off Arsenal's self-destructive capabilities just yet either ;) Would be quite interesting because there are still so many big games to go in the final two months of the season. Good times.

ravenheart
02-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Maybe Chelsea should start playing Gary Cahill up front...

Seventhzealot
02-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Maybe Chelsea should start playing Gary Cahill up front...

He'll do way better upfront than playing at the back like he has been recently anyway ;)

On another note, Smalling is alright thankfully. Really could do with another fit player at this time of the season after such an injury-stricken year.

ravenheart
02-29-2012, 04:28 PM
He'll do way better upfront than playing at the back like he has been recently anyway ;)

More to the point, Torres ;)

Seventhzealot
02-29-2012, 04:30 PM
More to the point, Torres ;)

I was about to say that but I didn't want to beat that dead horse anymore ;)

Butcher of Birth
03-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Cahill and Luiz up front, Torres as a right winger, and Ivanovic as our only defender.

Seventhzealot
03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
:mad: I hate 7:45 am games! Its the worst way to start a weekend!

Butcher of Birth
03-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Tell me about... I mean the Chelsea game is at 10, but I'm seeing Guns n' Roses at night, and we all know they doesn't go on till nearly the next day. :finger2:

Seventhzealot
03-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Tell me about... I mean the Chelsea game is at 10, but I'm seeing Guns n' Roses at night, and we all know they doesn't go on till nearly the next day. :finger2:

Besides I anyway sleep beyond 3 am on a normal day so it is an unnecessary convenience :hecho:

Butcher of Birth
03-03-2012, 07:42 AM
For the love of god... Chelsea, what are you doing? Our set piece defender is the some of the worst in the league.

Seventhzealot
03-03-2012, 07:57 AM
West Brom away is always a tough game. Arsenal have had a fantastic day today.

ravenheart
03-03-2012, 10:13 AM

:lol: Yeah, because the games are timed for you lot.

Seventhzealot
03-03-2012, 10:19 AM
:lol: Yeah, because the games are timed for you lot.

I know how they're not ;) I just despise the time difference :D

Butcher of Birth
03-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Agreed on the time difference bit. I just don't know where Chelsea can go from here, we need to beat Arsenal, at Emirate :bouville:, and get more goals than them...

Seventhzealot
03-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Agreed on the time difference bit. I just don't know where Chelsea can go from here, we need to beat Arsenal, at Emirate :bouville:, and get more goals than them...

Honestly AvB seems to have lost the dressing room. Too many senior players look like they aren't giving their best. Won't be surprised if he gets the sack soon which is a shame.

Seventhzealot
03-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Crunch game in the title race coming up tomorrow morning. Away to Tottenham. My head says draw but of course my heart wants a win. Come on United!

Seventhzealot
03-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Honestly AvB seems to have lost the dressing room. Too many senior players look like they aren't giving their best. Won't be surprised if he gets the sack soon which is a shame.

As expected AVB is sacked. That didn't last long did it? :D Cue a Chelsea resurgence till the end of the season now ;)

ravenheart
03-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Can't see Di Matteo achieving much except getting that bunch of unprofessional tossers to put some effort in.

Seventhzealot
03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Not much really about Di Matteo as much it is about AVB losing the dressing room though. Regardless I definitely expect some desire from them at least. I really feel they could go to City and get a result.

Seventhzealot
03-04-2012, 09:10 AM
What a pivotal pivotal result that was. We were pretty poor for the best part of the first hour but controlled the game for the last 30 minutes. Two fantastic finishes from Young but I've really been impressed with Evans. He really has stepped up to the plate in Vida's absence. We're in store for a frenetic finish to the season.

Butcher of Birth
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
There should be respect from the dressing room because of what RDM did for Chelsea in the 90's. I feel he will do well until we find our next manager, then again he might surprise everyone and win the CL and FA Cup and become the new full time manager ;)

Then again... I have no idea

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/010/tysonreaction.gif

Seventhzealot
03-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Cracking game at the Emirates. Milan are already rocking :lol:

Butcher of Birth
03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Cracking game at the Emirates. Milan are already rocking :lol:

Good result for us today. we played with much more pace than I have seen in recent weeks. Were it not for Mata and Sturridge screwing up it would have been 4-0, easily.

Seventhzealot
03-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Good result for us today. we played with much more pace than I have seen in recent weeks. Were it not for Mata and Sturridge screwing up it would have been 4-0, easily.

I didn't watch the game but as I said I'd expected the players to show more desire. Besides a lot of them will be playing for their places as a wholesale summer ship-out maybe on the cards at Chelsea. Then again, it was only Birmingham so it'll be interesting to see how they do in their key away games to come.

Butcher of Birth
03-06-2012, 06:19 PM
... it'll be interesting to see how they do in their key away games to come.

That's Man City... So if they win that, I call the season a success :lol:

At least the FA Cup dream is alive.

Seventhzealot
03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
That's Man City... So if they win that, I call the season a success :lol:

At least the FA Cup dream is alive.

Not just City. You have Liverpool and Arsenal coming up away too which would be more significant towards your bid for fourth place rather than the City game.

Butcher of Birth
03-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Not just City. You have Liverpool and Arsenal coming up away too which would be more significant towards your bid for fourth place rather than the City game.

Well I'm just saying that is the next away fixture.

ravenheart
03-07-2012, 04:23 AM

Ahem, and what about us? They've got to come to us too ;)

Seventhzealot
03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Ahem, and what about us? They've got to come to us too ;)

Of course but then the form book would be pretty much out of the window for that one ;)

Seventhzealot
03-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Well I'm just saying that is the next away fixture.

In ten days isn't it? Its funny how just last year I'd always want City to win this game and now I'm rooting for Chelsea :lol:

Shows you the power of money ;)

Butcher of Birth
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/419312_2991066134226_1189299175_32352026_128374874 4_n.jpg

Seventhzealot
03-07-2012, 11:39 AM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/419312_2991066134226_1189299175_32352026_128374874 4_n.jpg

That is all and good but you have to factor in that City were sixth when Mancini took over and so obviously the initial expectations were only to finish in the top four which he narrowly missed out on.

AVB on the other hand inherited a team which had finished consistently in the top two over the past 6-7 years and was expected to challenge for the title so you cannot really compare their reigns as such.

I, however still believe AVB shouldn't have been sacked because he was working towards building a new crux of the side but with Roman in charge, there was no way he was going to get a fair chance. I wonder who'd even take up the challenge of the Chelsea job now knowing how the owner is.

Butcher of Birth
03-07-2012, 03:44 PM
I, however still believe AVB shouldn't have been sacked because he was working towards building a new crux of the side but with Roman in charge, there was no way he was going to get a fair chance. I wonder who'd even take up the challenge of the Chelsea job now knowing how the owner is.

I would say it would either be someone who has been around big clubs, i.e. Jose (again), Rafa, Van Gaal, Carlo (again), Pep, or Low. There will be no more messing around, Roman and the board are going to look for the sure fire answer.

I agree that AVB being sacked was a horrible, he had a great idea and vision.

Seventhzealot
03-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I would say it would either be someone who has been around big clubs, i.e. Jose (again), Rafa, Van Gaal, Carlo (again), Pep, or Low. There will be no more messing around, Roman and the board are going to look for the sure fire answer.

I agree that AVB being sacked was a horrible, he had a great idea and vision.

There is no way Jose will take it again. The man has an ego the size of Nou Camp and I can't see him return to the place where he was sacked/parted company again. Same goes for Ancelotti, after how he was treated, can't see him even considering it. Rafa was a possibility but talks didn't go as planned. Van Gaal was a bit of a disaster at Bayern wasn't he? He had lost the dressing room much like AvB and his tactics seemed quite archaic. Has Low ever managed a club? It might end up being another disaster like Scolari. Hiddink would have been a viable choice but I don't think he wants the job full time either. In any case Roman should never have fired Carlo in the first place, its all gone downhill since.

Butcher of Birth
03-08-2012, 07:03 AM
In any case Roman should never have fired Carlo in the first place, its all gone downhill since.

100% agreed!

Seventhzealot
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Hmm so just as City have wrapped Kompany and Yaya Toure in cotton wool, we've done pretty much the same thing with Carrick, Nani, Scholes and Rio.

Not sure how I feel about a central midfield of Giggs and Jones but then what choice do you have when Anderson, Fletcher and Cleverley are all unavailable.

ravenheart
03-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Hmm so just as City have wrapped Kompany and Yaya Toure in cotton wool, we've done pretty much the same thing with Carrick, Nani, Scholes and Rio.

Not sure how I feel about a central midfield of Giggs and Jones but then what choice do you have when Anderson, Fletcher and Cleverley are all unavailable.

Kompany started. Went off injured.

Seventhzealot
03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Kompany started. Went off injured.

Oh. I only watched the second half so wasn't aware of that. Hmm so they pretty much played their strongest side whilst we rested almost half of ours. Interesting.

Deserved result btw.

illninoese
03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Oops

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/images/2012/0308/fernandollorenteceleb_576x324.jpg

Seventhzealot
03-09-2012, 04:40 PM
United against West Brom and Swansea against City to kick off at the same time on Sunday. Interesting because neither of games will be easy.

ravenheart
03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Well played Everton, well played. Same again on Wednesday please.

Seventhzealot
03-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Well played Everton, well played. Same again on Wednesday please.

This. :D Would love them to finish above Liverpool. Always had a soft spot for Everton where everyone else jizzes over Spurs.

Seventhzealot
03-11-2012, 07:58 AM
So it should have been more but it finishes 2-0. That was more like a United performance which just goes to show that we just weren't interested in the Europa :lol:

Either ways, Swansea with a well deserved 1-0 win and we're top of the league with 10 games to play. Not bad at all.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
100% agreed!

We were having the same problems under Carlo that we were under AVB. Not that I'm saying that I thought Carlo needed to go.

Butcher of Birth
03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
We were having the same problems under Carlo that we were under AVB. Not that I'm saying that I thought Carlo needed to go.

But I feel Carlo had control as he had been at the helm of a big European club before. Give him that Summer and we could have seen some great signings and a fine tuning of the system.

Seventhzealot
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Not really. The previous season you were basically hampered by a surprisingly long slump in form after the curios sacking of Ray Wilkins. Of course Torres being bought into the mix and his bad form didn't help either. From the looks of it, during AVB's reign, the senior players have felt undermined and I don't think he commanded the sort of respect Ancelotti did anyway.

The decision to sack Ancelotti was ludicrous because as he had shown with Milan before, he does know how to forge a title-winning team.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
03-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Not really. The previous season you were basically hampered by a surprisingly long slump in form after the curios sacking of Ray Wilkins. Of course Torres being bought into the mix and his bad form didn't help either. From the looks of it, during AVB's reign, the senior players have felt undermined and I don't think he commanded the sort of respect Ancelotti did anyway.

The decision to sack Ancelotti was ludicrous because as he had shown with Milan before, he does know how to forge a title-winning team.

We were having the same problems on the field. Teams would park the bus and hit us on the counter. Carlo had no plan B. If Carlo was the man to right the ship, the sacking of Butch wouldn't have lingered.

The inmates are running the asylum. It's time for some of them to move on. It's a team in transition and I'm not sure who the right man would be for the job. SAF seems to be the only manager I can think of that can keep winning while turning the roster over year after year. He always seems to add or subtract the right piece. Ashley Young is a perfect example. Chelsea would have never looked at him and he's been excellent this season. We were busy chasing after Luka Modric.

Butcher of Birth
03-11-2012, 09:00 PM
We were busy chasing after Luka Modric.

We need to not look at Modric in my opinion. I would much rather invest in one of the young German midfielders. Gotze comes to mind.

Seventhzealot
03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
We were having the same problems on the field. Teams would park the bus and hit us on the counter. Carlo had no plan B. If Carlo was the man to right the ship, the sacking of Butch wouldn't have lingered.

The inmates are running the asylum. It's time for some of them to move on. It's a team in transition and I'm not sure who the right man would be for the job. SAF seems to be the only manager I can think of that can keep winning while turning the roster over year after year. He always seems to add or subtract the right piece. Ashley Young is a perfect example. Chelsea would have never looked at him and he's been excellent this season. We were busy chasing after Luka Modric.

I think the defensive organization was way stronger with Ancelotti at the helm. When you looked at this Chelsea side under AVB, you could see that they have goals in them but they always seemed way to open for a top level side. Besides Ancelotti, apparently didn't even want Torres who was said to be Roman's choice at the outset.

I agree with you that player power is too great at Chelsea. You will never see that happening at a club with Sir Alex or Wenger in charge. To be fair though, this has borne out of the fact that Roman has been constantly chopping and changing managers since Jose and so the squad has never really been freshened up enough. You'd think considering AVB's age, he'd get more time but his sacking was inevitable and sadly so.

Think Chelsea need someone whom they can put their faith in for a while but one wonders how that'll be possible with an owner like Roman and like I said earlier I wonder who even will take up that poisoned chalice of a job.

We need to not look at Modric in my opinion. I would much rather invest in one of the young German midfielders. Gotze comes to mind.

I think he stated a while back that Madrid or Barcelona would be his preferred destination.

Butcher of Birth
03-12-2012, 04:24 AM
I think he stated a while back that Madrid or Barcelona would be his preferred destination.

With the money of the Roman Empire we can persuade anyone.

ravenheart
03-12-2012, 04:36 AM

Except Luka Modric.

MetalIsArt
03-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Late, but still... congrats on winning the FA Cup, Liverpool :D

Magnificent goal by Kuyt too. :D

Seventhzealot
03-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Late, but still... congrats on winning the FA Cup, Liverpool :D

Magnificent goal by Kuyt too. :D

Carling Cup not the FA Cup.

Seventhzealot
03-12-2012, 07:29 AM

Like Andy said, Luka Modric and Daniel Levy want a word with you about that ;)

ravenheart
03-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Carling Cup not the FA Cup.

And "winning" is a bit of a stretch too...

Seventhzealot
03-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Yeah great things it has done for their league form, three defeats in three now.
Well at least they qualified for Europa :lol:

Seventhzealot
03-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Any Arsenal fans on the board? ;) Apparently Piers Morgan is an Arsenal fan and keeps making a fool of himself time and again

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan
Why would @Persie_Official go to a team that can't beat Swansea? #OilMercenaryLosers

Err Piers, wasn't it Swansea 3-2 Arsenal a couple of months back? :lol:

Butcher of Birth
03-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Like Andy said, Luka Modric and Daniel Levy want a word with you about that ;)

We didn't throw out the big money, we did a fair amount, but we could have easily broken them down.

Seventhzealot
03-12-2012, 02:09 PM
We didn't throw out the big money, we did a fair amount, but we could have easily broken them down.

:confused: Your primary target all summer was Luka Modric and your final bid to Spurs was for 40 million pounds. Define "big money".

ravenheart
03-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Any Arsenal fans on the board? ;) Apparently Piers Morgan is an Arsenal fan and keeps making a fool of himself time and again

Much like Arsenal whenever they're one game away from achieving something ;)

Seventhzealot
03-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Much like Arsenal whenever they're one game away from achieving something ;)

True that but I was glad they won today. Better them than Chelsea or Liverpool(no chance of that now) in the Champions League ;)

ravenheart
03-12-2012, 04:02 PM
True that but I was glad they won today. Better them than Chelsea or Liverpool(no chance of that now) in the Champions League ;)

Yep, I'm rooting for them at the moment. I want them to get above Spurs. Plus, beating Newcastle keeps them within our reach.

Seventhzealot
03-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Yep, I'm rooting for them at the moment. I want them to get above Spurs. Plus, beating Newcastle keeps them within our reach.

Yep, its pretty tight from 6th till 15th. Says a lot when Newcastle in 6th are closer to the relegation zone than the top in terms of points.

maidenpriest
03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of Tottenham...Idk why. Just don't like how they play, so I'm glad they've been failing last few matches. Who is your team Ravenheart?